PDA

View Full Version : broncos lead AFC west...

Watchthemiddle
09-20-2009, 06:45 PM
No offensive turnovers, no red zone int's and correct me if I'm wrong (haven't checked the stats) but our D leads the league in yards given up. TIA J Mac. The guys he has brought in are contributing in a huge way!

Dirk
09-20-2009, 06:49 PM
I tell you what...I know it is early still, but once this offense starts hitting on points...they are going to be a force to play against!

Watchthemiddle
09-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Actually meant our D leads league in PPG allowed. People want to criticize Coach Mac on not addressing the D in the draft (because message board posters know what's best ) but this poster said "just look at the big picture" and took heat from it. J Mac sees the big picture and so does WTM!

CrazyHorse
09-20-2009, 06:58 PM
:championship:

Shutdown
09-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Josh is really coming out of this off season looking like a genius. I'm realllllllly impressed.

Northman
09-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Josh is really coming out of this off season looking like a genius. I'm realllllllly impressed.

Still way early but man even if Cincy (who beat GB today) and Clev are terrible then you have to give Josh and most certainly Nolan all the credit in the world. But, we wont truly know where we stand until we play SD or NE.

CrazyHorse
09-20-2009, 07:07 PM
New England lost to the Jets. The Freakin Jets. They almost lost to Buffalo too. San Diego almost lost to Oakland and lost to Baltimore.

Nomad
09-20-2009, 07:08 PM
Hopefully WTM, we'll be saying this at the end of Dec too.

Shutdown
09-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Still way early but man even if Cincy (who beat GB today) and Clev are terrible then you have to give Josh and most certainly Nolan all the credit in the world. But, we wont truly know where we stand until we play SD or NE.

The way the media was portraying this team, you would have thought we would come out to be the worst team in the league.

They said we would be worse than OAK AND KC!! They said SD was a lock to win the division. Last time I looked were undefeated. Unlike anyone else in our division.

Cincy proved today that they were/are no pushover. That shows me our D is playing that good.

I'm not saying that we are amazing by any means, but the way the media was projecting our team, I think McD & Co. are looking like geniuses... In comparison. :beer:

Traveler
09-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Way too early to get get excited, but I like that some things are coming together. I'll wait till we get to the meat of the schedule to truly see where we are.

Trap game next week IMO. The Faider defense looks pretty good with Seymour.

Northman
09-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Yea, the faid do seem to be pretty good on the defensive side of the ball.

Nomad
09-20-2009, 07:19 PM
I've never considered divisional/rivalry games as 'trap' games.

Raider week!!!!!!!!!

Davii
09-20-2009, 07:20 PM
I'm happily impressed so far. We're 2-0. That's all that matters.

Tned
09-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Way too early to get get excited, but I like that some things are coming together. I'll wait till we get to the meat of the schedule to truly see where we are.

Trap game next week IMO. The Faider defense looks pretty good with Seymour.

While I'm not much of a believe in trap games, and if I was, don't think this team would be a candidate to lose one, I agree with the rest of your statement.

It is way early. Enough to be encouraged, but way early to get too excited.

Once we start playing the NFC East, Pitt, Indy, Baltimore and NE, we will see what kind of team we really are.

Hopefully, our defense will continue playing very well, and our offense will gel before we hit the eight REAL tough non-division games. These first two were the easy non-division games, the rest will be very tough.

T.K.O.
09-20-2009, 07:25 PM
i'm as stoked as the next guy....but we were 2-0 last year

Northman
09-20-2009, 07:28 PM
New England lost to the Jets. The Freakin Jets. They almost lost to Buffalo too. San Diego almost lost to Oakland and lost to Baltimore.

The Jets are for real.

honz
09-20-2009, 07:29 PM
Way too early to get excited, but winning is always nice. If our offense can continue to improve and our D and ST's can stay solid, we should win several games this year...and who knows we may even have a shot at the playoffs come seasons end. However, we could also fall apart and end up 5-11 or something. We'll just have to wait and see. Remember how we thought we were SB contenders at thi time last year? LMAO.

T.K.O.
09-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Way too early to get excited, but winning is always nice. If our offense can continue to improve and our D and ST's can stay solid, we should win several games this year...and who knows we may even have a shot at the playoffs come seasons end. However, we could also fall apart and end up 5-11 or something. We'll just have to wait and see. Remember how we thought we were SB contenders at thi time last year? LMAO.

next up RAIDERS....one game at a time..........then the superbowl!:beer:

SR
09-20-2009, 07:38 PM
I'm not going to get too excited just yet, but seeing Cincy beat GB today was encouraging. Seeing Denver hold Jamal Lewis, Braylon Edwards, Brady Quinn, and Co to six points and less than 300 yards of total offense is definitely encouraging. Our defense looks awesome. Doom had four sacks today. We had two forced fumbles and one pick (last play of the game) today. So far over two games we've had (I think) seven sacks and five turnovers...without looking at the stats to make sure.

It's disappointing to me to see Marshall on the sidelines. If he's in uniform, he needs to be on the field. He opens the field up. He draws double coverage and sometimes double coverage with a safety or LB cheating to him.

Orton made some good decisions today throwing the ball away and eating a sack instead of coughing the ball up to the CLE Defense.

So far, I like what I see. If our D is for real, they'll give us an opportunity to hang with teams like Indy, NE, Baltimore, SD, and the NFC East.

Slick
09-20-2009, 07:38 PM
The Jets are for real.

They're playing good football. I've seen both games.

Mike
09-20-2009, 07:41 PM
Marshall looked like he had some fire when he came out in the 2nd half. I think McD was trying to get a message across in the 1st half.

I figured the team would start 2-1 out the gate, but then would struggle down the stretch. I still see them struggling, but this team should be able to hang with some of the big boys on their schedule. They may not win against them, but I think Denver will play all of them tough.

Davii
09-20-2009, 07:45 PM

I kind of feel a difference though. I think last year we were team achieving all we could, this year, I honestly feel this team will get better throughout the year.

Tned
09-20-2009, 07:46 PM

We've been 2-0 most of the last 10 years. How many times did we start 4-1, 5-1 or 6-1, only to fade down the stretch.

This is a completely different team, so hopefully the fading down the stretch isn't a problem, but increased competition is.

Starting week four, in the next 10 weeks we play: Dal, NE, BAL, Pit, NYG and Indy, not to mention Philly in week 16.

We are talking vicious schedule and one that will show us whether or not this D is for real. If this D is as good as it has looked, and we can mop up in the AFCW and play something close to .500 against the remaining non-division opponents, then it could be a good season.

T.K.O.
09-20-2009, 07:49 PM
We've been 2-0 most of the last 10 years. How many times did we start 4-1, 5-1 or 6-1, only to fade down the stretch.

This is a completely different team, so hopefully the fading down the stretch isn't a problem, but increased competition is.

Starting week four, in the next 10 weeks we play: Dal, NE, BAL, Pit, NYG and Indy, not to mention Philly in week 16.

We are talking vicious schedule and one that will show us whether or not this D is for real. If this D is as good as it has looked, and we can mop up in the AFCW and play something close to .500 against the remaining non-division opponents, then it could be a good season.

yeah ....i know.
that would put us around 12-4 would'nt it...even a homer like me only expects 10-6:salute:

SR
09-20-2009, 07:54 PM
I'd be happy with 8-8. We have a wicked schedule.

Benetto
09-20-2009, 07:59 PM
If only the season ended today we would be where we want to be.

I'm glad we are 2-0, but a lot of avenues have to be addressed before we are playoff contenders. First and foremost, PASS DEFENSE...

We had a miracle win at Cin, and beat probably one of the shittiest teams in the NFL today...I hope we play this well against the bigdawg teams as the season wears on....

Here's to many more wins and the playoffs!!:beer:

FanInAZ
09-20-2009, 08:01 PM
AFC West Standings (Week 3)

Denver Broncos 3-0
San Diego Chargers 2-1
Oakland Raiders 1-2
Kansas City Chiefs 0-3

Other AFC West week 3 predictions

Chief's tolls stay in hiding
OaklandRaider goes into hiding

Take it to the bank!

SR
09-20-2009, 08:02 PM
If only the season ended today we would be where we want to be.

I'm glad we are 2-0, but a lot of avenues have to be addressed before we are playoff contenders. First and foremost, PASS DEFENSE...

We had a miracle win at Cin, and beat probably one of the shittiest teams in the NFL today...I hope we play this well against the bigdawg teams as the season wears on....

Here's to many more wins and the playoffs!!:beer:

I don't agree with your wording, but I agree with your point. We had a miracle win, but our defense kept us in the game the whole time. We beat one of the shittiest teams in the league today, but our defense created turn overs and our offense did more than enough to keep us ahead.

We took A LOT of big steps today. This win should give the team a TON of confidence heading in to the game against Oakland.

SR
09-20-2009, 08:03 PM
AFC West Standings (Week 3)

Denver Broncos 3-0
San Diego Chargers 2-1
Oakland Raiders 1-2
Kansas City Chiefs 0-3

Other AFC West week 3 predictions

Chief's tolls stay in hiding
OaklandRaider goes into hiding

Take it to the bank!

It's when people make predictions like that that things go wrong.

Benetto
09-20-2009, 08:05 PM
I don't agree with your wording, but I agree with your point. We had a miracle win, but our defense kept us in the game the whole time. We beat one of the shittiest teams in the league today, but our defense created turn overs and our offense did more than enough to keep us ahead.

We took A LOT of big steps today. This win should give the team a TON of confidence heading in to the game against Oakland.

Sometimes, when I drink too much...I can't put my thoughts into words the way I want them to...:wine:

Benetto
09-20-2009, 08:13 PM
I'd be happy with 8-8. We have a wicked schedule.

I think at the rate we are going, we can squeak out 6 more wins out of 14 more chances...I hope...8-9 out of 14 would be GREAT though!

frenchfan
09-21-2009, 02:19 AM
No offensive turnovers, no red zone int's and correct me if I'm wrong (haven't checked the stats) but our D leads the league in yards given up. TIA J Mac. The guys he has brought in are contributing in a huge way!Right now, I think my expections for this year will be reached...

I don't know if we can talk about playoffs or SB (there is still a lot of football left to play), but our Broncos seem well prepared... Our D is not a joke anymore... Forget the explosive O we had with Jay... We'll have a "manage" and low risk O... IMO, the O was decent yesterday (but not stellar).

Sure, we still can have a bad record this season, but I think we won't be an easy victim... We seem to be on the right way (don't forget we are rebuilding)... But be careful : don't take anything for granted... GO ON this way and go on working hard boys... We still have a lot of work to become back a SB contender but that's a really nice start.

I don't know if McD is a genius, but I'm sure he is not as bad as some people thought...

Go Broncos. :defense: :beer:

Day1BroncoFan
09-21-2009, 10:42 AM
What give me hope about this is during the browns game we actually put them away in the fourth quarter. Our O went out and scored points and killed them. I haven't seen our O do that for years.

If that continues we have a great chance. Now they need to start scoring earlier to give our D a better chance.

I still think we'll be doing great if we go 8-8. I hope for better but don't expect it.

Reidman
09-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Maybe it's just me but our guys look fired up and happy, on both sides of the ball...in the past they kind of looked lethargic and out of it...they were celebrating like they won a playoff game on every turnover....that is promising.

Maybe they just didn't like playing with Cutler...

T.K.O.
09-21-2009, 11:38 AM
Maybe it's just me but our guys look fired up and happy, on both sides of the ball...in the past they kind of looked lethargic and out of it...they were celebrating like they won a playoff game on every turnover....that is promising.

Maybe they just didn't like playing with Cutler...

in denver turnovers (defensive) have been almost as rare as playoff games for a while now !!!!!!;)
i do totally agree with the "lethargic" statement, i felt like i have been twice as "fired up" on gamedays as the team the last couple years....and that won't translate to wins in most cases !:salute:

WARHORSE
09-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Cincy smacked Aaron Rogers and the Packers around.

Who would have thought that?

THe Packers D has been killin it since preseason with turnovers, shutting down the run and scoring.............and then Benson goes 141 on em.

Benson.

Why were we able to hold them TDless? Its lookin like a great day for our D.

What I LOVE to see is our DBs flying behind the LOS and dropping opposing players for losses.

Phonso, as small as he is has been huge sure handed tackling. He may not bring much, but he brings it all.

I talked about how all the guys McD was bringin in were special teams gunners....................case in point: Josh Cribbs shut down.

He brought in free agents that played special teams, were open field tacklers, and who had hands for the INT.............not to mention TOUGH, SMART, GOOD CHARCTERED players.

No matter what else happens, the players brought in this offseason were through a very calculated, studied out and EXECUTED plan.

Hats off to McD..........he at least deserves that.

The offense was better this week.......you can tell there are still alot of miscommunications between Orton and the receivers.

........that will get better with time.

Also.........we miss Kuper.

I believe Knowshon and Buck are starting to see the backside cuts on the ZB plays........which is bad news for opposing Ds. However...to their credit.....I believe both Cincy and Cleveland looked like they were out to stop the run first by puttin eight downstairs.

rationalfan
09-21-2009, 01:57 PM
the cleveland game was a perfect barometer for judging this year's broncos squad because while our team is much different than last year's, the browns team isn't much different with many of the same players from a year ago.

remember, last year, the broncos/browns game was much more competitive. this year, it was over at the start of the fourth quarter. granted, cleveland has a new coach and semi-different scheme. but yesterday suggests this year's broncos team is better than last year's team - noteably on defense. don't focus on the quality of the browns. just focus on how the broncos handled the browns in relation to last year.

also, people on this board (and in the national media) keep repeating how tough denver's schedule is. it's not easy, but it's well over-hyped. i don't think dallas is a playoff team. new england isn't the powerhouse of recent years. and injuries could drag san diego down to another year of being average.

it's easy for people to repeat what they hear. but objectively looking at the broncos and the team's schedule, i don't foresee the gloomy season that so many people do.

broncofaninfla
09-21-2009, 02:03 PM
It's early but I'm happy we are 2-0. I'm not going to use our schedule as a crutch, I want us to win the AFC West this year and based on what I have seen to date it's achievable. Our passing game has to improve, too many balls hitting the turf via bad passes and dropped balls. Our running game, Buck should get the majority of the running plays over Moreno because he gives us the best chance of winning. The best back should be toting the rock and right now Buck is our best back. Our D and ST have been solid to date and need to keep building on that. The AFC west title is a realistic goal.

shank
09-21-2009, 02:09 PM
the browns game was also promising in another way. even if you consider them a bad team... we beat them (like clay said in another thread) like a good team would beat them. we didn't play down to their level like we have against shitty teams for the last 3-4 years.

honz
09-21-2009, 02:23 PM
the browns game was also promising in another way. even if you consider them a bad team... we beat them (like clay said in another thread) like a good team would beat them. we didn't play down to their level like we have against shitty teams for the last 3-4 years.
I still can't believe we lost to both the Raiders and the Chiefs last year... :barf:

OldschoolFreak
09-21-2009, 02:36 PM

Really important point there. Win or lose I spent the majority of the past three seasons pulling my hair out against bad opponents we were "supposed" to beat.

Now if we can just get over the other major psychological hurdle from recent years. You know, having the defense play stout for a while and then give up the big play on 3rd and long or the two minute drill touchdown to end the half or game and erase any good defensive play up to that point.

Those two things, playing at a consistently high level rather than laying eggs against bad teams and avoiding the defensive meltdown will go a long way toward improving the win percentage and the mood of Broncos Country.

Getting better!

dunk7
09-21-2009, 03:07 PM
I have to say that I have been pleasantly surprised with the first two games. But, even in yesterday's game, some of Orton's throws made me cringe. I'm hoping its not the case but I still think that Orton's weaknesses will be exposed in the upcoming games.

TXBRONC
09-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Cincy smacked Aaron Rogers and the Packers around.

Who would have thought that?

THe Packers D has been killin it since preseason with turnovers, shutting down the run and scoring.............and then Benson goes 141 on em.

Benson.

Why were we able to hold them TDless? Its lookin like a great day for our D.

What I LOVE to see is our DBs flying behind the LOS and dropping opposing players for losses.

Phonso, as small as he is has been huge sure handed tackling. He may not bring much, but he brings it all.

I talked about how all the guys McD was bringin in were special teams gunners....................case in point: Josh Cribbs shut down.

He brought in free agents that played special teams, were open field tacklers, and who had hands for the INT.............not to mention TOUGH, SMART, GOOD CHARCTERED players.

No matter what else happens, the players brought in this offseason were through a very calculated, studied out and EXECUTED plan.

Hats off to McD..........he at least deserves that.

The offense was better this week.......you can tell there are still alot of miscommunications between Orton and the receivers.

........that will get better with time.

Also.........we miss Kuper.

I believe Knowshon and Buck are starting to see the backside cuts on the ZB plays........which is bad news for opposing Ds. However...to their credit.....I believe both Cincy and Cleveland looked like they were out to stop the run first by puttin eight downstairs.

Kuper was in the starting line up yesterday.

Grover
09-21-2009, 04:23 PM
I'm not going to be happy with an 8 - 8 season. I for sure know Brian Dawkins will be happy with an 8 - 8 season.

I was extremely excited that Kyle Orton talked about the adjustments they made at half time leading to better performance in the 3rd and 4th quarters. ADJUSTMENTS! Holy crap! What a great idea!

This team WILL get better as the year goes on. We WILL play inspired football on both sides of the ball. This team WILL be fun to watch, but it will be led by our DEFENSE. I think the fans will need to learn a different way to watch and root for the team. Those fans that love defense will be happy, those that love yardage, maybe not so much happiness. I hope fans can appreciate the wins, rather than HOW we are winning.

I remember watching the team in the late 70s, not sure the opponent, but we were behind late in the 4th quarter. I remember our offense punting, and I screamed at the TV - "All right! The defense is on the field so let's go out and win this game!"

Our defense scored and we won.

T.K.O.
09-21-2009, 04:36 PM
i never thought i would be wishing our 3rd and 4th games would be against the steelers and pats....but i do now.
by the time we play them they will likely be at "mid-season "form or better....dang it!
i bet if we played either this week we would win.not saying we cant beat them later but.....
anyway the schedule is not looking AS brutal as it did in the spring....besides i know.....if we cant beat the good teams in the reg season whats the point of making the playoffs....PLAYOFFS?
sorry

Lonestar
09-21-2009, 04:37 PM
have not had a Chance to read much of this thread..

CIN had not had a chance to see our D before we played them and we were blitz happy in the game..

but as folks have a chance to see what we are doing they will game plan against it on both sides of the LOS..

we played a CIN team that was not ready for us.. and they played well against GB.. but that does not make us a GREAT YET..

we have a lot of tough teams coming up and many of them early games on the east coast..

also we have not been strong the past few years going east, playing early, against weaker teams or defending the home field.

We have taken a couple of positive steps in reversing those trends..

let see if Josh can keep them motivated to play hard against what appears to be an inept Offense in the black hole....

keep them grounded and from not Reading about being a top 5 defense..

we have a long ways to go before I'll be thinking playoffs..

Zweems56
09-21-2009, 05:12 PM
No offensive turnovers, no red zone int's and correct me if I'm wrong (haven't checked the stats) but our D leads the league in yards given up. TIA J Mac. The guys he has brought in are contributing in a huge way!

Not sure if anyone mentioned yet, but 3rd in total defense (behind indy which played one game so far and NYJ) and 1st in scoring defense.

T.K.O.
09-21-2009, 05:31 PM
we have a long ways to go before I'll be thinking playoffs..

we learned that last year with a 3 game lead...its WAY too early to line up for playoff tickets,but i always go into the season "thinking" playoffs.