PDA

View Full Version : Front seven can't be on back burner

Lonestar
12-04-2007, 09:17 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_7627573
By Jim Armstrong
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 12/03/2007 10:30:46 PM MST

The Broncos acquired defensive tackle Sam Adams as a free agent on June 4, 2007. (Post file)Related Articles
Dec 4:
Jim on demand: Broncos could make top 10Dec 3:
Jim on demand: Props to Raiders fansJim on demand: No BCS, no playoffsHaving run out of words to describe the Broncos' considerable issues, we take you to the archives for that infamous sound bite from former Colts coach Jim Mora.

"PLAY-offs? PLAY-offs?"

As in, no playoffs.

While the math says they're still in the hunt, it would be just as well if the Broncos don't make a postseason appearance. Why? Because it would give Mike Shanahan and his staff more time to fix things.

Which brings us to the big-picture question of the day: Can Shanahan fix all that's wrong with this team in the span of one offseason?

Sure, it's possible, but I'm thinking the answer is no. For proof, I take you to the Broncos' last offseason.

Their biggest issues, other than Jay Cutler's inexperience, were in their defensive front seven. So what were Shanahan's signature moves in free agency? He signed a tight end (Daniel Graham) and a tailback (Travis Henry) for big bucks, then traded for a cornerback (Dre Bly) who also tapped into the Bowlen family fortune.

So why didn't the Broncos address their defensive front seven? They did, but not enough to make a difference.

They signed Sam Adams, well past his prime, to be a run stuffer. And, you might recall, they tried to sign pass rusher Patrick Kerney, who chose to join the Seahawks. After Kerney, the pickings were slim for defensive-line help on the free-agent market.

But then, that's the point. Given the importance of defensive-line play, that's never going to change. Quality D-linemen, in the prime of their careers, without off-field baggage, are next to impossible to find. And playmaking linebackers who fit the same bill aren't exactly waiting at Shanahan's front door, either.

If you're going to find impact front-seven help, the draft is the place to look. That makes the 2008 draft perhaps the most crucial of the Shanahan era. If the Broncos don't get an impact lineman and linebacker, it's difficult to envision their defense being much better next season than it has been this year.

It comes down to having players, and the Broncos don't have enough. And frankly, even if Jarvis Moss, Tim Crowder and Marcus Thomas emerge as quality starters next season, the Broncos would need more help.

When it comes to the defensive front seven, you can't ever have too many players.

underrated29
12-04-2007, 10:05 PM
i promise by next season, we will have atleast 2 new dt's and 2 new lb's. I am guessing that we will probably sign a dt through fa, and then use our top 2 picks on lb and dt, and then we will go ahead and draft a couple more of them.

The offense is set, besides a few holes in the oline, and maybe a 4th wr.

defense needs dt,lb,s. Bet that shanny gets all of those

arapaho2
12-04-2007, 10:48 PM
i promise by next season, we will have atleast 2 new dt's and 2 new lb's. I am guessing that we will probably sign a dt through fa, and then use our top 2 picks on lb and dt, and then we will go ahead and draft a couple more of them.

The offense is set, besides a few holes in the oline, and maybe a 4th wr.

defense needs dt,lb,s. Bet that shanny gets all of those

or true to shanny form...he may just keep scouring the dumpsters for new starters

Lonestar
12-04-2007, 11:17 PM
or true to shanny form...he may just keep scouring the dumpsters for new starters

Unless Jim Bates is gone I think they will go after quality.. I see no indications he is leaving..

silkamilkamonico
12-05-2007, 12:40 AM
At least Denver did one thing according to this article, they addressed the front 7 in the draft, which is where "you want to look" to find an impact dline player. Drafting Moss, Crowder, and Thomas was a great start. They failed miserably addressing it through free agency, but there wasn't exactly a lot to choose from after Kerney. They didn't neglect it, they signed Adams, they also traded for the guy from the Rams who didn't pan out. I would imagine if they new the situation with Warren ahead of time they would have made other adjustments.

Hopefully they continue trying to build that front 7, because that's the building block of any impact defense.

gobroncsnv
12-05-2007, 08:16 AM
Well, if you think about it, we needed 2 DT's, and we only drafted 1. Now that we are out of quality reserves, would hope that we go after multiple DT's, like we did with ends last year. But we really need LB help as well. As long as we concentrate on the front 7, it just HAS to help.