PDA

View Full Version : Diet, Exercise, Supplements thread

Pages : [1] 2

Watchthemiddle
09-03-2007, 02:03 AM
ALL THINGS FITNESS!!!

Do you have a question about Diet? Do you have any advice to give? Weight loss, weight gain, maintaining?

Exercise? Weights, Cardio, routines?

Supplements? vitamins ? Healthy Recipes?

If you have any questions regarding anything that has to do with fitness post here.

Any input you have about any of the above topics or a different topic, post here.

KCL
09-03-2007, 02:08 AM
so this thread is allowed to get high jacked?

Watchthemiddle
09-03-2007, 02:08 AM
so this thread is allowed to get high jacked?

NO!

Why would it?
:confused:

Jody
09-03-2007, 09:22 AM
ALL THINGS FITNESS!!!

Do you have a question about Diet? Do you have any advice to give? Weight loss, weight gain, maintaining?

If you have any questions regarding anything that has to do with fitness post here.

Any input you have about any of the above topics or a different topic, post here.

I am so guilty of not exercising nearly enough WTM! I think I still have the information you gave me last year for working out around my left knee (no acl from track years). That was something you did for me that meant a lot, so I really should put it into action and commit myself to the routine!

I do have a question for you....
Besides working out, are there specific things I can eat or take (vitamins, etc) that would give me a boost of energy or additional energy in my morning?

I love this thread, thanks.:D

KCL
09-03-2007, 09:54 AM
ALL THINGS FITNESS!!!

WTM...Unless I am reading this wrong....you said and I quote" Any input you have about any of the above topics or a different topic,post here."

thats why I asked if this thread was allowed to get highjacked?
Don't worry....I won't jack your thread.

anton...
09-03-2007, 10:01 AM
ill jack it...

:playball:
________
Web shows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Watchthemiddle
09-03-2007, 07:54 PM
I am so guilty of not exercising nearly enough WTM! I think I still have the information you gave me last year for working out around my left knee (no acl from track years). That was something you did for me that meant a lot, so I really should put it into action and commit myself to the routine!

I do have a question for you....
Besides working out, are there specific things I can eat or take (vitamins, etc) that would give me a boost of energy or additional energy in my morning?

I love this thread, thanks.:D

HW what do you eat for breakfast? LEts start there. :D

It all starts with a good well rounded solid breakfast. I am not sure what you do, if any, for breakfast but you need to pack in good whole foods....eggs, egg whites, oatmeal, 100% whole grain bread, tortilla's, or pita bread, fruits. My favorite is some scrambled eggs with cut up veggies ( bell peppers, onions, brocolli, tomatoes ) and 2 whole grain tortillas. Or I like a 1/2 cup of oatmeal ( not instant ) with two scoops of protein powder and a scoop of natural peanut butter. If not the PB, some mixed berries.

2nd, you need a good multi vitamin first thing in the day. I am not talking about just going to Walmart or you local supermarket and buying the one a day's either...( although that is better then nothing). You can go to GNC or a local health store and get a good one. I take one that is literrally 9 pills called Animal Pak. Its amazing. Pricey. Comes in a can of 44 individually packed pills. All it is in Vitamins and Minerals and it really does help me get through the day. Its hard to get the complete nutrition you need daily just through food. Thats why a multi is paramount for sustaining energy throughout the day.

3rd, eat a snack 2 1/2 - 3 hours after your breakfast before lunch. This could be anything from a banana and 1/2 cup of cottage cheese to a protein shake. You need something in between your breakfast and lunch to sustain energy levels. THis will boost your metabolism in the morning and keep you going. From here on out, try and get in 5 -6 small meals throughout the day. Instead of the old concept of 3 square meals a day, but those 3 meals in half to make 6. You will see quite a difference in your energy levels not only in the morning but all day long.

4th, if you can mix in some form of exercise. First thing in the morning works well for some. If you are having a problem with energy early or later in the morning, do some form of exercise first thing. That will help also.

Hope this helps a little for you.

Jody
09-03-2007, 08:26 PM
HW what do you eat for breakfast? LEts start there. :D

It all starts with a good well rounded solid breakfast. I am not sure what you do, if any, for breakfast but you need to pack in good whole foods....eggs, egg whites, oatmeal, 100% whole grain bread, tortilla's, or pita bread, fruits. My favorite is some scrambled eggs with cut up veggies ( bell peppers, onions, brocolli, tomatoes ) and 2 whole grain tortillas. Or I like a 1/2 cup of oatmeal ( not instant ) with two scoops of protein powder and a scoop of natural peanut butter. If not the PB, some mixed berries.

2nd, you need a good multi vitamin first thing in the day. I am not talking about just going to Walmart or you local supermarket and buying the one a day's either...( although that is better then nothing). You can go to GNC or a local health store and get a good one. I take one that is literrally 9 pills called Animal Pak. Its amazing. Pricey. Comes in a can of 44 individually packed pills. All it is in Vitamins and Minerals and it really does help me get through the day. Its hard to get the complete nutrition you need daily just through food. Thats why a multi is paramount for sustaining energy throughout the day.

3rd, eat a snack 2 1/2 - 3 hours after your breakfast before lunch. This could be anything from a banana and 1/2 cup of cottage cheese to a protein shake. You need something in between your breakfast and lunch to sustain energy levels. THis will boost your metabolism in the morning and keep you going. From here on out, try and get in 5 -6 small meals throughout the day. Instead of the old concept of 3 square meals a day, but those 3 meals in half to make 6. You will see quite a difference in your energy levels not only in the morning but all day long.

4th, if you can mix in some form of exercise. First thing in the morning works well for some. If you are having a problem with energy early or later in the morning, do some form of exercise first thing. That will help also.

Hope this helps a little for you.

Breakfast....uh-oh. I never eat breakfast. Why? Right after I eat, I get very sleepy, sluggish. It bugs the heck out of me. Half the time I don't eat lunch, because of the same problem. Basically, I eat dinner, and that's the only routine meal of the day I have. I will try the eggs and whole grain breads - fast and like them both well. Also, I like oatmeal, but what type of protein powder do you recommend using?----This one I could see would be very feasible for me. Animal Pak - GNC.... yep, pricey, but I'd consider trying it for awhile at least. http://www.gnc.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=animal%20pak&origkw=animal%20pak&sr=1. But WTM, I just found this site that sells that Animal Pak for $16.99 ---- http://www.fitnessone.com/animal-pak-p-376.html. Big difference in price! I'm going to order me some right this very minute!

WhoDey
09-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Animal Pak is for people who have serious muscle-weight gain goals. HW, unless you're looking to become the next WWE diva, I don't think that's a good idea for you. Besides, I tried Animal Pak, and swallowing that regimen of pills every morning got real old real quick. Some of them are pretty damn big, and unless you've got your gag reflex trained pretty well, you might end up choking/spitting them across the room.

GNC's line of vitamins are very good. They're time release, which means that your body does a better job of absorbing the vitamins and nutrients inside the supplement, and they're also high quality.

Check out Women's Ultra Mega. (http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2133872&cp=2618597) It's probably what you're looking for.

On meals: Like WTM said, breakfast is extremely important. You need to get your metabolism going early in the day, because that will help keep your body lean and burn more calories throughout the day. If you're sluggish after a meal, it's probably because you're eating a large amount of carbohydrates when you eat. Now, I've been doing the low carb thing for a while, and I've noticed that my overall energy level is up because I don't feel the fatigue I used to feel after I eat. If you're eating lots of starchy food, try to switch to stuff that's higher in fiber - fiber cancels out carbohydrates, not to mention the other benefits for your lower GI. :D

Watchthemiddle
09-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Breakfast....uh-oh. I never eat breakfast. Why? Right after I eat, I get very sleepy, sluggish. It bugs the heck out of me. Half the time I don't eat lunch, because of the same problem. Basically, I eat dinner, and that's the only routine meal of the day I have. I will try the eggs and whole grain breads - fast and like them both well. Also, I like oatmeal, but what type of protein powder do you recommend using?----This one I could see would be very feasible for me. Animal Pak - GNC.... yep, pricey, but I'd consider trying it for awhile at least. http://www.gnc.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=animal%20pak&origkw=animal%20pak&sr=1. But WTM, I just found this site that sells that Animal Pak for $16.99 ---- http://www.fitnessone.com/animal-pak-p-376.html. Big difference in price! I'm going to order me some right this very minute!

Fitness one is exactly who I get mine from...:laugh:. I am sorry, I failed to mention buying online. While you are on that site, recearch whey protein powders. You can usually get a tube for around $25 or so and it will have over 90 servings. It will last you a long time.

BUT..you can't take the Pak on an empty stomach or without food. YOU MUST START EATING. If you are feeling sluggish after your meal, you might be eating too much food at one time. To start off, try having a boiled egg and peice of whole grain toast and an apple or something. You need to jump start your metabolism in the morning and in return it will give you energy because your body has something to do while you are at work or wherever you are in the mornings.

Watchthemiddle
09-03-2007, 08:45 PM
Animal Pak is for people who have serious muscle-weight gain goals. HW, unless you're looking to become the next WWE diva, I don't think that's a good idea for you. Besides, I tried Animal Pak, and swallowing that regimen of pills every morning got real old real quick. Some of them are pretty damn big, and unless you've got your gag reflex trained pretty well, you might end up choking/spitting them across the room.

GNC's line of vitamins are very good. They're time release, which means that your body does a better job of absorbing the vitamins and nutrients inside the supplement, and they're also high quality.

Check out Women's Ultra Mega. (http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2133872&cp=2618597) It's probably what you're looking for.

On meals: Like WTM said, breakfast is extremely important. You need to get your metabolism going early in the day, because that will help keep your body lean and burn more calories throughout the day. If you're sluggish after a meal, it's probably because you're eating a large amount of carbohydrates when you eat. Now, I've been doing the low carb thing for a while, and I've noticed that my overall energy level is up because I don't feel the fatigue I used to feel after I eat. If you're eating lots of starchy food, try to switch to stuff that's higher in fiber - fiber cancels out carbohydrates, not to mention the other benefits for your lower GI. :D

Good to see you WHoDey...:wave:

And you are right. HW, the Pak is probably not the best multi to take for you unless you are hitting the gym hard. GOod call WhoDey.

The Spapak would be a better choice for you. Its on fitnessone and only runs about $8.

Too many carbs can leave you sluggish and have a bloating effect or feeling as well. You definately need a good balance and never have carbs by themselves. WIth every meal, try and get in a portion of protein. You can have protein without the carbs, but try to stay away from carbs without a protein. And DON'T forget about getting in your fats also. WIth any meal you can substitute your carbs with fats...PB, nuts, flaxseed oil, olive oil, avacado's..etc. Fats are a great sourch for energy if you have the right kind.

Jody
09-03-2007, 08:46 PM

Don't go and :scared: me like that WD. :D here's more on animal pak. It's actually the top multivitamin/mineral (nutritional supplement) for Olympians. Yes, they do talk about it in the light of pumping up the muscles, but only in the sense of energy depletion from a lack of nutrients. Well, let's say....that's what I got out of the article and information on it anyhow. I ordered 2 WTM, I'll give it a chance. I don't know for sure, just going off what the article discusses about it. I doubt Olympians often want to gain weight, but have to spend a great deal of their time watching their weight and even dieting. It does discuss, for those in intense training, to double-up on the amount daily (for intense workouts). Talk to me WD, what is it you know that tells you this is for 'gaining' weight? And thanks.

WhoDey
09-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Don't go and :scared: me like that WD. :D here's more on animal pak. It's actually the top multivitamin/mineral (nutritional supplement) for Olympians. Yes, they do talk about it in the light of pumping up the muscles, but only in the sense of energy depletion from a lack of nutrients. Well, let's say....that's what I got out of the article and information on it anyhow. I ordered 2 WTM, I'll give it a chance. I don't know for sure, just going off what the article discusses about it. I doubt Olympians often want to gain weight, but have to spend a great deal of their time watching their weight and even dieting. It does discuss, for those in intense training, to double-up on the amount daily (for intense workouts). Talk to me WD, what is it you know that tells you this is for 'gaining' weight? And thanks.

Take a look at the nutritional information (http://www.fitnessone.com/animal-pak-p-376.html) on the site - see all of those amino acid entries? Amino acids are the building blocks of muscle, and will benefit someone who's looking to get big in a relatively short period of time. Of course, will you become Chyna just by taking the vitamins? Nope, you need to put your time in at the gym for that to happen (and probably hit the clear and cream... and probably get a sex change, but that's okay). The Animal Pak that WTM uses simply isn't geared toward your goals.

Will it work? Sure. Will it be the ideal product? There are better out there for you.

Watchthemiddle
09-03-2007, 09:09 PM

Your not going to gain weight by taking the Pak. Aminos are needed in everyones diet. They help the body function properly. Everyone knows they help in the repair of muscles, but they also help repair organs, nails, hair, your skin, and ligaments. Being deficient in one of them can compromise your health. They can also have some therapeutic benifits as well.

It can be used while trying to cut or bulk or just for everyday life. Is it more effective to take if you are training..yes. Can you take it if you are not training...yes. Its mega doses of Vitamins and Minerals that bodybuilders, weight trainers, or endurance athletes need while doing high intensity training. Its not going to hurt you if you are worried about that.

Jody
09-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Your not going to gain weight by taking the Pak. Aminos are needed in everyones diet. They help the body function properly. Everyone knows they help in the repair of muscles, but they also help repair organs, nails, hair, your skin, and ligaments. Being deficient in one of them can compromise your health. They can also have some therapeutic benifits as well.

It can be used while trying to cut or bulk or just for everyday life. Is it more effective to take if you are training..yes. Can you take it if you are not training...yes. Its mega doses of Vitamins and Minerals that bodybuilders, weight trainers, or endurance athletes need while doing high intensity training. Its not going to hurt you if you are worried about that.

I'm not worried WTM....2 paks on their way to my mailbox! :D Thank you.

Did you see the price from Fitness One? Better?:D

Watchthemiddle
09-03-2007, 09:20 PM
I'm not worried WTM....2 paks on their way to my mailbox! :D Thank you.

Did you see the price from Fitness One? Better?:D

Yeah, thats where I get mine from. I think they have the best prices out there. I never go to - Rob you blind - GNC.

I think you will be pleased with the product. I definatly feel better because of it and am not even working out at the moment ( bicep injury )

I ran out ONCE and that was all it took until I placed another order...:D

BUT please remember, you must take it with food adn you must EAT!!! The directions will say to take it 30 minutes after your meal before you workout, but I would just take it first thing in the morning with breakfast. The time release will work for you throughout the day.

Jody
09-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Yeah, thats where I get mine from. I think they have the best prices out there. I never go to - Rob you blind - GNC.

I think you will be pleased with the product. I definatly feel better because of it and am not even working out at the moment ( bicep injury )

I ran out ONCE and that was all it took until I placed another order...:D

BUT please remember, you must take it with food adn you must EAT!!! The directions will say to take it 30 minutes after your meal before you workout, but I would just take it first thing in the morning with breakfast. The time release will work for you throughout the day.

I WILL start eating, like you suggested (and what). I know you have a long history of experience with this WTM, so all is good! I have lost nearly 20 pounds over about 6 months time now, so I'm on a roll right now, losing it slowly, eating better overall, but I will start taking my breakfast more seriously. I've noticed my habits have started to rub off onto my daughter a bit as well----skipping breakfast, so it's time I turn that around and her and I eat something together in the morning. ;)

Question: How did you hurt your bicep?

Watchthemiddle
09-03-2007, 09:49 PM
I WILL start eating, like you suggested (and what). I know you have a long history of experience with this WTM, so all is good! I have lost nearly 20 pounds over about 6 months time now, so I'm on a roll right now, losing it slowly, eating better overall, but I will start taking my breakfast more seriously. I've noticed my habits have started to rub off onto my daughter a bit as well----skipping breakfast, so it's time I turn that around and her and I eat something together in the morning. ;)

Question: How did you hurt your bicep?

COngrats on your accomplishment!! :congrats:

And to answer your question...I was playing golf. Hyperextended it on a swing where I hit the ground instead of the ball...:laugh:...and it just hasn't been the same since.

I kept working out through it but every morning I would wake up and it would throb, so I am taking some much needed time off and rest.

anton...
09-03-2007, 10:01 PM
i just had a banana!!

:strongy:
________
HunkCock (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/HunkCock)

Jody
09-03-2007, 10:07 PM
COngrats on your accomplishment!! :congrats:

And to answer your question...I was playing golf. Hyperextended it on a swing where I hit the ground instead of the ball...:laugh:...and it just hasn't been the same since.

I kept working out through it but every morning I would wake up and it would throb, so I am taking some much needed time off and rest.

I understand the hyperextension of a knee, as I've had that occur a few times to my own, but at a joint....it makes more sense to me. Does it effect your elbow or shoulder as well, pain-wise? Your hand? I'm still a bit of a novice golfing myself, and hitting the ground goes with that territory - I'll have to keep that in mind. :shocked:

Watchthemiddle
09-03-2007, 10:42 PM
I understand the hyperextension of a knee, as I've had that occur a few times to my own, but at a joint....it makes more sense to me. Does it effect your elbow or shoulder as well, pain-wise? Your hand? I'm still a bit of a novice golfing myself, and hitting the ground goes with that territory - I'll have to keep that in mind. :shocked:

It did happen at my elbow, but I have a lot of pain in my bicep and forearm because of it, but not at my actual elbow.. :confused: Sometimes it does radiate to my shoulder if I have slept wrong or something. Annoying is all it is and a lot of the pain has gone away since I have taken a break.

NickTranOwnz
09-04-2007, 03:26 PM
Well I have been taking a dietary supplement called BioAstin or something. Its made on the Big Island of Hawaii and it was on Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe. It contains a very powerful antioxidant, way more powerful than prunes, called Astaxanthan, and is attained from algae.

There is Vitamin A and E along with astaxanthan in the gel capsules. I personally think it has been working, especially the Vitamin A (beta-carotene). I wear glasses and I have blurry vision without them, but I noticed that since taking it (which actually has a LOT of beta-carotene), my vision has improved. Still blurry, but not as blurry.

Just my two cents.

OB
09-04-2007, 03:35 PM
I just need to get my fat ass back to working out - i can basically eat what I want if im actvie and not over indulging in anything - but i havent been exercising at all and drinking way too many margs (500 calories a pop) well needless to say nothing from last summer fits

I want exercise equipment for my house, ive always found that the best way for me to stay on track - i tried the gym thing a few times and the only time it worked is when I worked right across the street and could walk over at lunch and take a really awesome cardio/weight class

I want to have my abs back - i want to be back in shape (but I dont want to give up the margs :D )

Watchthemiddle
09-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Well I have been taking a dietary supplement called BioAstin or something. Its made on the Big Island of Hawaii and it was on Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe. It contains a very powerful antioxidant, way more powerful than prunes, called Astaxanthan, and is attained from algae.

There is Vitamin A and E along with astaxanthan in the gel capsules. I personally think it has been working, especially the Vitamin A (beta-carotene). I wear glasses and I have blurry vision without them, but I noticed that since taking it (which actually has a LOT of beta-carotene), my vision has improved. Still blurry, but not as blurry.

Just my two cents.

Thats very interesting. I have never heard of that supp before, but if its working for you in a positive way and improving your vision then thats a good thing.

The thing about a lot of supplements is that people take them and don't even need them. They see some informercial, or magazine add and think they need it.

Before taking a supplement that you think you need whether it be for working out, staying in shape, losing fat, or in NickTran's case...take the time to see a nutritionist and ask them if there is any benifit to using it. Notice I didn't say DOCTOR??

Watchthemiddle
09-04-2007, 05:26 PM
I just need to get my fat ass back to working out - i can basically eat what I want if im actvie and not over indulging in anything - but i havent been exercising at all and drinking way too many margs (500 calories a pop) well needless to say nothing from last summer fits

I want exercise equipment for my house, ive always found that the best way for me to stay on track - i tried the gym thing a few times and the only time it worked is when I worked right across the street and could walk over at lunch and take a really awesome cardio/weight class

I want to have my abs back - i want to be back in shape (but I dont want to give up the margs :D )

That is the case for so many people 420. We can all eat whatever we want in moderation if we just stay active.

Living an active lifestyle is very simple to do. Many believe you need to spend hours upon hours at a gym in order to lead an active lifestyle. That is not the case. You need to get moving. Walking, jogging, running, hiking, lifting weights, biking...etc.

You can do this in many different ways. The most basic is to hit the road, or stationary bike, treadmill, or gym to start off your day if you are a morning person. Some have the time and like to go at lunch. Some go after work. The main thing is to just get moving.

If you can't do any of those, park your car at the farthest spot in the parking lot wherever you go...work, school, shopping market, etc.

Take the stairs. If your office is on the 4th floor, skip the elevator ride and climb the stairs.

420, back to your home gym thing. Home gyms are great if you can provide for yourself everything you need. If all you want is to tone up and do cardio then some adjustable dumbells and recumbant or stationary bike from Walmart is for you.

You can also go to places like Play it Again Sports ( re-sell sporting goods ) and find nice workout equipmen.

But above all, the first step in getting back your "abs" is nutrition.

You can do 1000 sit ups a day but if your diet is not in check then it will be all for not. Even if you can't work out regularly, you still need a solid diet.

As for the MARGS, moderation is the key. NOt sure how many you have a day, but cut it down to 2-3 times a week. Eventually, cut it down to one day a week, ONE MARG a week as a reward. It will taste sooooo much better and you will feel sooooo much better because of it.

NickTranOwnz
09-04-2007, 05:39 PM
Thats very interesting. I have never heard of that supp before, but if its working for you in a positive way and improving your vision then thats a good thing.

The thing about a lot of supplements is that people take them and don't even need them. They see some informercial, or magazine add and think they need it.

Before taking a supplement that you think you need whether it be for working out, staying in shape, losing fat, or in NickTran's case...take the time to see a nutritionist and ask them if there is any benifit to using it. Notice I didn't say DOCTOR??

Actually I got it for free from a wheel spinning thing they had at Macys. My uncle who is a pharmacist was with me and checked it out and said it was okay to take, so I started taking it. I also mainly took it for the antioxidants.

Watchthemiddle
09-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Lets talk about nutrition and how easy and broad it can be. So many times we all want to make it harder then it really is. We all get bombarded with new workouts and diets from websites, magazines and TV. Its easy in this tiem to become overwhelmed by them to the point that we think its not even worth the work to give ANYTHING a try. So lets just start at the beginning of health and fitness. Here are the basics, you cannot go wrong with. Stop worrying, start eating right and exercising!!

Training

I see too many people asking whether "this split will work, what workout should I do, bla bla bla". Listen:

Here's how you create your own split(examples in parenthesis):

Pick a body part(let's say chest).
Now pick few compound, freeweight movements(bench press, dips)
You can also pick few "supplementary" lifts(cable crossovers, machine chest press)
Now pick a set & rep scheme that feels the best for you(4 sets of 12 reps)

Do this for every body part you want to train(Chest, triceps, biceps, delts, back, legs...).

Now you can combine bodyparts together if you want to(chest and triceps)

All that's left to do is assign a day to each workout(Chest and tricep on Monday)<--- I have found this to be the "Universal" day to train Chest. Atleast for men. Women it could be lower body.

And, of course, the most important thing: Progressive overload

Without it, your workout will be worthless. With it, any workout will work.

Diet

Here are the often overlooked basics of a diet:

Do you remember the 8 glasses of water a day thing? Well you need more then 8 glasses of water a day to lose weight, or gain muscle. Water can speed up your metabolism and don't forget that Muscle is over 75% water. You need to keep yourself hydrated and H2O is the best. I carry around a gallon jug of water wherever I go. To some it looks excessive, but to me i know I need it. If I don't get in my daily water intake I can feel sluggish adn get headaches. SO start with proper hydration. If you are working out you will need more then 8 glasses.

Eat natural foods - foods that have been processed the least. Ask yourself "does this food looks like something I could find in the nature?".
If you buy something in a box, jar, can, look at the ingredients list and pick stuff with the LEAST ingredients.
Get your healthy fats in. <--- don't be afraid of this.

Cutting or losing weight.

In addition to the above rules, losing weight or body fat, you need:

Caloric deficit
Reduced amount of carbs
Increased amount of fat and protein <--- seriously...don't be afraid!!

Gaining weight/muscle...

Caloric surplus
Increased carbs <---- just like above, don't be afraid.

If you dont see it here you can't eat it

PROTEINS

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
Tuna (water packed)
Fish (salmon, seabass, halibut)
Shrimp
Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%)
Venison
Buffalo
Ostrich
Protein Powder ( Whey or egg white)
Egg Whites or Eggs
Ribeye Steaks or Roast
Top Round Steaks or Roast (aka Stew Meat, London Broil, Stir Fry)
Top Sirloin (aka Sirloin Top Butt)
Beef Tenderloin (aka Filet, Filet Mignon)
Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)
Flank Steak (Sir Fry, Fajita)
Eye of Round (Cube Meat, Stew Meat, Bottom Round , 96% LeandGround Round)
Ground turkey, Turkey Breast Slices or cutlets (fresh meat, not deli cuts)

COMPLEX CARBS

Oatmeal (Old Fashioned or Quick Oats)
Sweet Potatoes
Yams
Beans (pinto, black, kidney)
Oat Bran Cereal
Rye Cereal
Brown Rice / mulit gain rice
Farina (Cream of Wheat)
Multigrain Hot Cereal
Whole wheat or Spinach Pasta
Rice (white, jasmine, basmati, Arborio, wild)
Potatoes (red, baking, new)

FIBROUS CARBS (not canned)

Green Leafy Lettuce (Green Leaf, Red, Leaf, Romaine)
Broccoli
Asparagus
String Beans
Spinach
Bell Peppers
Brussels Sprouts
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Celery
Cucumber
Eggplant
Green or Red Pepper
Green beans
Onions
Pumpkin
Garlic
Tomatoes
Zucchini

FRUIT

(if acceptable on diet): bananas, apples, grapefruit, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, lemons or limes

HEALTHY FATS
Natural Style Peanut Butter
Olive Oil or Safflower Oil
Nuts (peanuts, almonds
Flaxseed Oil
Fish oil

DAIRY AND EGGS

Low-fat cottage cheese
Eggs
Low or Non-Fat Milk
Bottled Water

CONDIMENTS & SPICES

Diet Soda
Crystal Light
Fat Free Mayonnaise
Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
Reduced Sodium Teriyaki Sauce
Balsamic Vinegar
Salsa
Hot Peppers and Hot Sauce
Chili powder
Mrs. Dash
Steak Sauce
Sugar Free Maple Syrup
Chili Paste
Mustard
Extracts (vanilla, almond, etc )
Low Sodium beef or chicken broth
Plain or reduced sodium tomatoes sauce, puree, paste)

Doesn't look so complicated, does it? If you follow these simple rules, ANY DIET OR TRAINING PROGRAM WILL WORK, 100% GUARANTEED.

Its not easy, but IT IS SIMPLE. Overcomplicating it is a recent trend, because of all the fitness gurus who want to sell something, and of course, basics(hard work, and patience) don't sell, so they need to make some sensational claims and invent some ridiculous new workouts and diets.

Remember, ROME wasn't built overnight. If you want a strong looking ripped body it takes time. If you want to lose weight and have a cut, fit body it takes time. But it all starts with the most fundamental area of them all....nutrition!

Jody
09-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Where's the Ketchup? :eek:

Watchthemiddle
09-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Where's the Ketchup? :eek:

High fructose corn syrup babe!!

Bad stuff but I love it sooooo much!!!

What do you put it on? I can give you some alternatives..hopefully...:ahhhhh:

Reidman
09-04-2007, 06:16 PM
I've been running the treadmill 30-40 minutes daily and also started taking ripped fuel on advice from a buddy of mine who is into all things healthy. I did some research and was happy to learn that all those things are ephedrin free.

It's only been a week but I'm hoping to lose around 40-50 lbs which would be a major success story and not very typical but I'm not giving up. Also, I've cut soda and fried foods out of my diet (mostly) and limit my meal portions. I try to eat 5 small meals throughout the day to keep my metabolism working and not storing fat. That's a little harder to do when I'm working but so far it's worked ok. I actually feel better in just a week since starting this. Oh, and I've also been taking vit (multi, C, garlic, and Super Omega-3).

I think the biggest thing anyone can do to change their diet is cut out soda and
sugar and if your like me and love food, try not to eat so much in one sitting. I'm 235 right now and shooting for 200 at the very least but my target is 190.

Jody
09-04-2007, 06:21 PM
I've been running the treadmill 30-40 minutes daily and also started taking ripped fuel on advice from a buddy of mine who is into all things healthy. I did some research and was happy to learn that all those things are ephedrin free.

It's only been a week but I'm hoping to lose around 40-50 lbs which would be a major success story and not very typical but I'm not giving up. Also, I've cut soda and fried foods out of my diet (mostly) and limit my meal portions. I try to eat 5 small meals throughout the day to keep my metabolism working and not storing fat. That's a little harder to do when I'm working but so far it's worked ok. I actually feel better in just a week since starting this. Oh, and I've also been taking vit (multi, C, garlic, and Super Omega-3).

I think the biggest thing anyone can do to change their diet is cut out soda and
sugar and if your like me and love food, try not to eat so much in one sitting. I'm 235 right now and shooting for 200 at the very least but my target is 190.

I wish you the very best Reid! Nothing better than enjoying how your image looks in the mirror and how you feel so much better. Best wishes.

Reidman
09-04-2007, 06:23 PM
Lets talk about nutrition and how easy and broad it can be. So many times we all want to make it harder then it really is. We all get bombarded with new workouts and diets from websites, magazines and TV. Its easy in this tiem to become overwhelmed by them to the point that we think its not even worth the work to give ANYTHING a try. So lets just start at the beginning of health and fitness. Here are the basics, you cannot go wrong with. Stop worrying, start eating right and exercising!!

Training

I see too many people asking whether "this split will work, what workout should I do, bla bla bla". Listen:

Here's how you create your own split(examples in parenthesis):

Pick a body part(let's say chest).
Now pick few compound, freeweight movements(bench press, dips)
You can also pick few "supplementary" lifts(cable crossovers, machine chest press)
Now pick a set & rep scheme that feels the best for you(4 sets of 12 reps)

Do this for every body part you want to train(Chest, triceps, biceps, delts, back, legs...).

Now you can combine bodyparts together if you want to(chest and triceps)

All that's left to do is assign a day to each workout(Chest and tricep on Monday)<--- I have found this to be the "Universal" day to train Chest. Atleast for men. Women it could be lower body.

And, of course, the most important thing: Progressive overload

Without it, your workout will be worthless. With it, any workout will work.

Diet

Here are the often overlooked basics of a diet:

Do you remember the 8 glasses of water a day thing? Well you need more then 8 glasses of water a day to lose weight, or gain muscle. Water can speed up your metabolism and don't forget that Muscle is over 75% water. You need to keep yourself hydrated and H2O is the best. I carry around a gallon jug of water wherever I go. To some it looks excessive, but to me i know I need it. If I don't get in my daily water intake I can feel sluggish adn get headaches. SO start with proper hydration. If you are working out you will need more then 8 glasses.

Eat natural foods - foods that have been processed the least. Ask yourself "does this food looks like something I could find in the nature?".
If you buy something in a box, jar, can, look at the ingredients list and pick stuff with the LEAST ingredients.
Get your healthy fats in. <--- don't be afraid of this.

Cutting or losing weight.

In addition to the above rules, losing weight or body fat, you need:

Caloric deficit
Reduced amount of carbs
Increased amount of fat and protein <--- seriously...don't be afraid!!

Gaining weight/muscle...

Caloric surplus
Increased carbs <---- just like above, don't be afraid.

If you dont see it here you can't eat it

PROTEINS

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
Tuna (water packed)
Fish (salmon, seabass, halibut)
Shrimp
Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%)
Venison
Buffalo
Ostrich
Protein Powder ( Whey or egg white)
Egg Whites or Eggs
Ribeye Steaks or Roast
Top Round Steaks or Roast (aka Stew Meat, London Broil, Stir Fry)
Top Sirloin (aka Sirloin Top Butt)
Beef Tenderloin (aka Filet, Filet Mignon)
Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)
Flank Steak (Sir Fry, Fajita)
Eye of Round (Cube Meat, Stew Meat, Bottom Round , 96% LeandGround Round)
Ground turkey, Turkey Breast Slices or cutlets (fresh meat, not deli cuts)

COMPLEX CARBS

Oatmeal (Old Fashioned or Quick Oats)
Sweet Potatoes
Yams
Beans (pinto, black, kidney)
Oat Bran Cereal
Rye Cereal
Brown Rice / mulit gain rice
Farina (Cream of Wheat)
Multigrain Hot Cereal
Whole wheat or Spinach Pasta
Rice (white, jasmine, basmati, Arborio, wild)
Potatoes (red, baking, new)

FIBROUS CARBS (not canned)

Green Leafy Lettuce (Green Leaf, Red, Leaf, Romaine)
Broccoli
Asparagus
String Beans
Spinach
Bell Peppers
Brussels Sprouts
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Celery
Cucumber
Eggplant
Green or Red Pepper
Green beans
Onions
Pumpkin
Garlic
Tomatoes
Zucchini

FRUIT

(if acceptable on diet): bananas, apples, grapefruit, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, lemons or limes

HEALTHY FATS
Natural Style Peanut Butter
Olive Oil or Safflower Oil
Nuts (peanuts, almonds
Flaxseed Oil
Fish oil

DAIRY AND EGGS

Low-fat cottage cheese
Eggs
Low or Non-Fat Milk
Bottled Water

CONDIMENTS & SPICES

Diet Soda
Crystal Light
Fat Free Mayonnaise
Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
Reduced Sodium Teriyaki Sauce
Balsamic Vinegar
Salsa
Hot Peppers and Hot Sauce
Chili powder
Mrs. Dash
Steak Sauce
Sugar Free Maple Syrup
Chili Paste
Mustard
Extracts (vanilla, almond, etc )
Low Sodium beef or chicken broth
Plain or reduced sodium tomatoes sauce, puree, paste)

Doesn't look so complicated, does it? If you follow these simple rules, ANY DIET OR TRAINING PROGRAM WILL WORK, 100% GUARANTEED.

Its not easy, but IT IS SIMPLE. Overcomplicating it is a recent trend, because of all the fitness gurus who want to sell something, and of course, basics(hard work, and patience) don't sell, so they need to make some sensational claims and invent some ridiculous new workouts and diets.

Remember, ROME wasn't built overnight. If you want a strong looking ripped body it takes time. If you want to lose weight and have a cut, fit body it takes time. But it all starts with the most fundamental area of them all....nutrition!

Great post Watch! I have the added benefit of working with a weight lifter and I see him all the time eating the stuff you described here. (How could I get the smell of his tuna and wild rice out of my head...lol).

I approached him when I decided to get serious about losing weight and he gave me a few pointers also, a lot of which has been described in this thread already.

HW - Thankyou. I hope I become a success story and inspire someone else. I'll keep my peeps updated...

Watchthemiddle
09-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Reid my man....whatever help you need fire away.

If you want to lose 40-50 pounds the "healthy" way just know its not going to be overnight.

It takes a lot of time, dedication, and hard work to do it the right way and if you do it will STAY OFF!!!

melissAnn
09-04-2007, 06:45 PM

I haven't read everything thing in this thread- but if you are trying to lose weight I wanted to add the best time to do your cardio is first thing in the am before you eat anything. I do about 20-25 minutes of something (I vary it day to day, stair climber, tae bo etc) every morning. You will lose fat quickest this way... this is how I lost all my fat a total of three times- once just getting in shape and then twice after pregnancies.
Oh and another nice thing is once you lose the weight and put on some muscle (I lift too- just light) you can ease up on the diet a bit and relax the training sometimes too. I don't kill myself anymore like I did when I was trying to lose- now I just take it easy and do my daily stuff. My metabolism stays high cause I vary what I do and what I eat.

Also it is a proven fact that it takes a person about 21 days- 3 weeks to have something become habit... so if you can last 3 weeks you know you have made a huge first step because you are on your way to having this change become a habit- which makes it easier to stick with.

Before I started working out- which was maybe 9 years ago (yikes) I was in terrible shape- I wasn't fat or anything just not in shape... I could barely do 10 minutes on a stair climber without feeling like I was going to die... and forget running! Now it is just part of my life... so much so that I can only take one day off every so often or I feel bad (lifting I take more time off but aerobics you can really do everyday as long as your not going nuts).

Anyway- I just wanted to say good luck and you have the extra advantage of support here... which is really a great bonus.

Watchthemiddle
12-01-2007, 09:25 PM
:bump:

Thought i would bump this for this time of season.

Share some weight managing tips of your own

Many Americans gain weight this time of season. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, the average American will gain 1-3 pounds this Holiday season. Whether you work the traditional mon-fri 8-5 shift, rotating shifts, or are a college student, many of us have a hard time squeezing a solid meal in.

My tip #1: I work a swing shift ( 4pm to 2 am) and bring my food with me to work every night--eat through the shift like it was a day shift. Prepare some meals the night before. Take a cooler with you if you can.

We all run into the Christmas parties, work parties, Family get togethers..and just the large meals that are consumed on Thanksgiving and Christmas.

My tip #2: One thing people have a tendency to do is starve themselves throughout the day knowing that night they are going to a party. Don't do it!! You think that if you don't eat you will be more hungry at the party or if you don't eat throughout the day you can eat more calories at the party and not feel guilty. Well thats not a good thing. If anything, eating normally throughout the day will actually spark your metabolism and you will be MORE hungry at the party then if you starved yourself. In any case, never starve yourself throughout the day because you might have a LARGE meal coming up later that day. Your telling your body to hang on to all of the food it consumes at the party and your body will ration it out as needed, but want to keep all of it in fear it will be starved again tomorrow.

Nomad
12-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Has anyone tried the '5 Hour' energy drink? Winter here can get dreary and depressing sometimes so I'm looking for an alternative other than coffee, soda, or the "red bull" drinks to keep me motivated and going. I'm in fairly decent shape could lose about 10 lbs but no more than that. I just don't want to look like my father, you know the big pot belly so I do plenty of sit-ups.

Watchthemiddle
12-02-2007, 12:22 AM
Has anyone tried the '5 Hour' energy drink? Winter here can get dreary and depressing sometimes so I'm looking for an alternative other than coffee, soda, or the "red bull" drinks to keep me motivated and going. I'm in fairly decent shape could lose about 10 lbs but no more than that. I just don't want to look like my father, you know the big pot belly so I do plenty of sit-ups.

I have tried it and it really does work. Like I said earlier, I work nights and there was a day when I drank one of those at the beginning of my shift and it really kept me alert. Its mega mega doses of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. All of which are mostly water soluble so whatever your body doesn't use, it just flushes away.

No sugar, no carbs, and the amount of caffeine you would find in one cup of coffee. Not too bad for you.

One thing its not going to do it give you a BIG jolt of energy. Its real steady over the 5 hour period. If you are looking for something to help you workout, I wouldn't necessarily recommend 5 hour energy. There are other alternatives out there.

schnooks1
12-02-2007, 08:01 AM
I have trouble swallowing pills and it is hard to find small vitamin pills. I bought a case of vitamin water and I drink two a day. They each have their own flavor and like the one I am drinking right now has dragonfruit it is called power-C. They aren't "write home to mama good" or anything but they aren't bad!

I lost 30lbs+ within the last year and it is nice to lose it... but you do have problems if you don't supplement your diet with something to help boost your system. You can't eat only healthy foods and you simply can't get all of the necessary vitamins you need to make you healthy.

MY advice (or 2 cents anyway) for the holidays: People get toooo caught up with the "omg I am going to eat and gain weight." It takes more than ONE piece of pie or ONE Christmas dinner. Enjoy it! Don't say "oh no thanks, I am watching my weight" passing up that great looking dish of dressing or mashed pot. Just have a little bit, enjoy it and once it is over... get back to reality. Thank goodness we don't have Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners every month!, but like I said, at least it works for me... enjoy a small piece and get up and expend some energy. You can burn off any extra you eat by taking a good brisk walk. (expecially if it is a little chilly out!)

My back doesn't allow me to work out anymore. I used to do it like a machine every day except Sundays. I would do the "Firm" ( a cardio workout with weights) workouts at my house, and it was my time for ME. I have had back surgery and will need it again, so I can no longer do the step, or any sort of jogging but I can walk, and I use the excercise ball working my abs and lower muscles. I do use weights for my arms and chest, but can't get too heavy as I usually have to sit to do it.
Any ideas how to increase my cardio with out hurting my back. Even walking has to be a slower pace for me. I have tried sitting on the ball and using my legs to bounce and it does get my heart rate up a bit, but I can't do it long for fear of my back.

I love this THREAD!!!!

champbronc2
12-02-2007, 10:18 AM
P90X

Try it. It is great.

I just started.

Nomad
12-02-2007, 10:32 AM
I have tried it and it really does work. Like I said earlier, I work nights and there was a day when I drank one of those at the beginning of my shift and it really kept me alert. Its mega mega doses of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. All of which are mostly water soluble so whatever your body doesn't use, it just flushes away.

No sugar, no carbs, and the amount of caffeine you would find in one cup of coffee. Not too bad for you.

One thing its not going to do it give you a BIG jolt of energy. Its real steady over the 5 hour period. If you are looking for something to help you workout, I wouldn't necessarily recommend 5 hour energy. There are other alternatives out there.

No I can get motivated to PT but like I said living in this frozen tundra sometimes it takes a toll on remaining motivated and the '5 hour' energy drink sounds like what I need because coffee and soda make me crash and I have never tried the red bull drinks. About 10 years ago I use to run 5 miles a day but now I have a set of dumbbells, an elliptical (wish I would gotten a treadmill, damn salesman and my gullibleness), and I do simple push-ups and stomach exercises. I use to have a Power Tower wish I would never had given it away when we moved here because I used to love doing pull ups and dips. Oh well, thanks for the tip!

Watchthemiddle
12-04-2007, 02:46 AM
I have trouble swallowing pills and it is hard to find small vitamin pills. I bought a case of vitamin water and I drink two a day. They each have their own flavor and like the one I am drinking right now has dragonfruit it is called power-C. They aren't "write home to mama good" or anything but they aren't bad!

I lost 30lbs+ within the last year and it is nice to lose it... but you do have problems if you don't supplement your diet with something to help boost your system. You can't eat only healthy foods and you simply can't get all of the necessary vitamins you need to make you healthy.

MY advice (or 2 cents anyway) for the holidays: People get toooo caught up with the "omg I am going to eat and gain weight." It takes more than ONE piece of pie or ONE Christmas dinner. Enjoy it! Don't say "oh no thanks, I am watching my weight" passing up that great looking dish of dressing or mashed pot. Just have a little bit, enjoy it and once it is over... get back to reality. Thank goodness we don't have Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners every month!, but like I said, at least it works for me... enjoy a small piece and get up and expend some energy. You can burn off any extra you eat by taking a good brisk walk. (expecially if it is a little chilly out!)

My back doesn't allow me to work out anymore. I used to do it like a machine every day except Sundays. I would do the "Firm" ( a cardio workout with weights) workouts at my house, and it was my time for ME. I have had back surgery and will need it again, so I can no longer do the step, or any sort of jogging but I can walk, and I use the excercise ball working my abs and lower muscles. I do use weights for my arms and chest, but can't get too heavy as I usually have to sit to do it.
Any ideas how to increase my cardio with out hurting my back. Even walking has to be a slower pace for me. I have tried sitting on the ball and using my legs to bounce and it does get my heart rate up a bit, but I can't do it long for fear of my back.

I love this THREAD!!!!

Your absolutely correct!! I love your statement about one piece of cake or pie is not going to hurt you. I have heard the statement "Rome wasn't built in a day" about losing weight and or building muscle or whatever your goals are. That keeps it in perspective. The same way you are not going to transform your body into a rock hard fit specimen over night, you are not goint to turn into some fat blob over night either after a slice of cake or pie.

This is the time of season to enjoy and have some good food. Just don't endulge too much..:laugh:

Schnooks, a few things you might be able to try with your back pain could be Pilates or Yoga. Yoga might actually be very good for you. And with cardio have you ever tried the Eliptical machine? Walking is very good so if thats all you can do for cardio that is good enough. If the pace can't be too brisk, maybe a 1 or 2% incline to up the heart rate. Last, what about a stationary bike, whether it be upright or recumbant depending on how long you can sit might work as well.

schnooks1
12-04-2007, 06:39 AM
Your absolutely correct!! I love your statement about one piece of cake or pie is not going to hurt you. I have heard the statement "Rome wasn't built in a day" about losing weight and or building muscle or whatever your goals are. That keeps it in perspective. The same way you are not going to transform your body into a rock hard fit specimen over night, you are not goint to turn into some fat blob over night either after a slice of cake or pie.

This is the time of season to enjoy and have some good food. Just don't endulge too much..:laugh:

Schnooks, a few things you might be able to try with your back pain could be Pilates or Yoga. Yoga might actually be very good for you. And with cardio have you ever tried the Eliptical machine? Walking is very good so if thats all you can do for cardio that is good enough. If the pace can't be too brisk, maybe a 1 or 2% incline to up the heart rate. Last, what about a stationary bike, whether it be upright or recumbant depending on how long you can sit might work as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. Have't tried the bike at all because I have only used those for warm up in the gym and never considered them as a "work-out" tool. Maybe I will put one on my Santa list and give it a try!

Watchthemiddle
12-04-2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Have't tried the bike at all because I have only used those for warm up in the gym and never considered them as a "work-out" tool. Maybe I will put one on my Santa list and give it a try!

Not sure where you live, but if you have a Play it again sports you can find a used one for pretty cheap. Or try craigslist.com (online worldwide garage sell with no bidding ) for the ones people have bought and used once and are now selling them :laugh:. Walmart even sells decent ones for $100. You can get a really good cardio workout on a bike and it usually allows you to watch tv or read a book at the same time because you aren't jumping up and down like on a treadmill or eliptical. Time flies and before you know it its been 30-45 minutes.

Good luck!!

Lonestar
12-04-2007, 03:42 PM

Look at goodwill or pawn shops to keep the costs down unless you will really follow the program for sure. Better to get into it and see if it works for you. If it does then make a major purchase and get a top notch model..

KCL
12-04-2007, 03:56 PM

My brother works out and has for years.He started yoga about a year ago.I thought it was weird when he told me but he has a high stress job and says it has done ALOT for the stress and just makes him feel good physically.

I like to walk and did alot when I had my dog(she got old and we had to put her to sleep) but she really motivated me to take her walking.I did a little bit of walking earlier in the year.

How do I keep myself motivated? That is my biggest problem.I have lost some weight and have my blood pressure good now.Went to the doctor for a
check up yesterday and it was 118 over 78 which is good for me cause when I was working at my other job it was always 160 over 95.Amazing what stress will do to you.

Anyway how does one motivate themselves.I would really like to get myself in better shape as I have lost 14 lbs in the last 6 weeks and want to lose more and keep it off...HELP!!!

SR
12-04-2007, 04:13 PM
I've been working out like mad here...not drinking soda, cutting extra calories from my diet, and trying to eat as healthy as I can which sometimes can be hard given our selection of food (if you want to call it that).

I'm 5'11".

The day I got here (Oct 14) I was 209 in shorts and flip flops. My abdominal circumference (measured at the top of my hips and across my belly button) was 36". My mid-thigh was 24". I have been doing 20-40 minutes of cardio on the eliptical, 5-6 sets of as many sit ups and push ups as I can do, and stretching 4-6 days per week.

I measured myself today (Dec 04)...weight is 206 in shorts and flip flops. abdominal circumference is 34" and my mid-thigh was 25.5".

I'm not trying to lose weight, just shed a couple of inches, which is what I've done. I need to decrease the resistance on the eliptical because my legs are getting bigger, which I don't want. My senior year of high school my mid-thigh was 28" from playing hockey and lifting so much, and when I start adding too much resistance or lifting weights, my legs always balloon really fast.

My body is wierding me out lately.

KCL
12-04-2007, 04:20 PM
I've been working out like mad here...not drinking soda, cutting extra calories from my diet, and trying to eat as healthy as I can which sometimes can be hard given our selection of food (if you want to call it that).

I'm 5'11".

The day I got here (Oct 14) I was 209 in shorts and flip flops. My abdominal circumference (measured at the top of my hips and across my belly button) was 36". My mid-thigh was 24". I have been doing 20-40 minutes of cardio on the eliptical, 5-6 sets of as many sit ups and push ups as I can do, and stretching 4-6 days per week.

I measured myself today (Dec 04)...weight is 206 in shorts and flip flops. abdominal circumference is 34" and my mid-thigh was 25.5".

I'm not trying to lose weight, just shed a couple of inches, which is what I've done. I need to decrease the resistance on the eliptical because my legs are getting bigger, which I don't want. My senior year of high school my mid-thigh was 28" from playing hockey and lifting so much, and when I start adding too much resistance or lifting weights, my legs always balloon really fast.

My body is wierding me out lately.

So your saying I should join the AF?:confused:

:laugh::laugh:

SR
12-04-2007, 04:23 PM
So your saying I should join the AF?:confused:

:laugh::laugh:

Oh no...I wasn't replying to your post...just posting my progress. I've pretty much given up all other message boards because of this one, so I figured I'd share my success in the appropriate thread.

KCL
12-04-2007, 04:30 PM
Oh no...I wasn't replying to your post...just posting my progress. I've pretty much given up all other message boards because of this one, so I figured I'd share my success in the appropriate thread.

I know SR...Just messing with you...;)

rcsodak
12-04-2007, 06:44 PM
yes....

...and don't buy it!

I needed it one night, and almost DIED!!!!:shocked:

Plus, it tastes like SHITOLA! Which makes you wonder, if trying to get that nasty taste from your mouth might actually take 5hrs....:confused:

Lonestar
12-04-2007, 08:06 PM
yes....

...and don't buy it!

I needed it one night, and almost DIED!!!!:shocked:

Plus, it tastes like SHITOLA! Which makes you wonder, if trying to get that nasty taste from your mouth might actually take 5hrs....:confused:

Only RC could come up with this..

Watchthemiddle
12-05-2007, 01:37 AM
My brother works out and has for years.He started yoga about a year ago.I thought it was weird when he told me but he has a high stress job and says it has done ALOT for the stress and just makes him feel good physically.

I like to walk and did alot when I had my dog(she got old and we had to put her to sleep) but she really motivated me to take her walking.I did a little bit of walking earlier in the year.

How do I keep myself motivated? That is my biggest problem.I have lost some weight and have my blood pressure good now.Went to the doctor for a
check up yesterday and it was 118 over 78 which is good for me cause when I was working at my other job it was always 160 over 95.Amazing what stress will do to you.

Anyway how does one motivate themselves.I would really like to get myself in better shape as I have lost 14 lbs in the last 6 weeks and want to lose more and keep it off...HELP!!!

Congratulations on your lower blood pressure and 14 lbs you have lost.

Motivation is the biggest factor for people. You either have it or you don't. Some people use health concerns for motivation. Some use their age and wanting to feel and look younger again. Some people use it to prepare for something in their lives...( weddings, reunions, vacations..etc ) and some people just have it.

How do you get it if you don't have it? Well, you can do several things. Set a goal for yourself and don't just keep it to yourself. Find a couple of accountability partners to tell about your goal that will help you stick to it. Whether exercising along with you, or just asking you about your progress daily/weekly. I have found that whenever I wanted to reach a certain goal, I would tell co-workers I trusted, friends, family, and if I didn't reach that goal I would feel I let not only myself down but them downa also. That doesn't work for everyone, but it can work. If you want to start on this board in this thread and list some goals and just keep us updated could be a start.

Another thing you can do is find an old picture of yourself that you like and put it on your alarm clock, fridge, dashboard..someplace you will look at daily that will get you thinking about exercising and wanting to look like you once did.

Find things you really like to do. Don't exercise on things you hate. If you don't like to run, don't do it. If you really like to walk do that. If you hate to lift weights, don't do it. If you like to play tennis, sports, etc..do that. You have to find something you enjoy and it will help you stay motivated as well.

And last, when you are ready get another dog. This for a lot of people is the only exercise they get. It not only benifits you, but it also benifits the dog. Speaking of accountability partners, dogs can be great!!

Hope some of these suggestions help KC.

Watchthemiddle
01-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Bump...its been a while and we have a few new members that might be able to contribute as well.

slim
01-11-2008, 10:33 PM
Well, I haven't read the entire thread (I will when I have time)...but losing weight is not rocket science....calories in vs. calories out. That's pretty much it. If anyone need advice on a natural way to lower cholesterol, let me know.

Watchthemiddle
01-11-2008, 11:26 PM
Well, I haven't read the entire thread (I will when I have time)...but losing weight is not rocket science....calories in vs. calories out. That's pretty much it. If anyone need advice on a natural way to lower cholesterol, let me know.

Your exactly right. So many people today want to make it harder and more involved then it actually is. Problem is is not lack on knowledge on most peoples part, its failure to change their bad habits and lack of will power.

slim
01-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Your exactly right. So many people today want to make it harder and more involved then it actually is. Problem is is not lack on knowledge on most peoples part, its failure to change their bad habits and lack of will power.

Yeah, maybe...I think most people have lost track of what a meal needs to be. If you go to a restuarant you are basically taking in twice as many calories as you need (for a given meal), in some cases more. It's really a matter of understanding what your body needs to function. If people understood that, this wouldn't be an issue.

Watchthemiddle
01-11-2008, 11:33 PM
Yeah, maybe...I think most people have lost track of what a meal needs to be. If you go to a restuarant you are basically taking in twice as many calories as you need (for a given meal), in some cases more. It's really a matter of understanding what your body needs to function. If people understood that, this wouldn't be an issue.

There is not a restaurant on the planet that serves the correct portion of food. Go to some place like Claim Jumpers or CHeesecake Factory and you are getting about 3 portions/servings at the least at one sitting.

Add to that that a lot of people also drink a lot of their calories before even taking a bite of food.

slim
01-11-2008, 11:38 PM
There is not a restaurant on the planet that serves the correct portion of food. Go to some place like Claim Jumpers or CHeesecake Factory and you are getting about 3 portions/servings at the least at one sitting.

Add to that that a lot of people also drink a lot of their calories before even taking a bite of food.

Hell yeah, there is no doubt about it. Usually my wife and I will share a meal if we go out. It really is twice as much as a normal person needs (or more than twice in many cases).

Also, if we go to a fast food place we will order two burgers and one order of fries (we split the fries). I think that is a reasonable way to handle it.

Watchthemiddle
01-11-2008, 11:48 PM
Hell yeah, there is no doubt about it. Usually my wife and I will share a meal if we go out. It really is twice as much as a normal person needs (or more than twice in many cases).

Also, if we go to a fast food place we will order two burgers and one order of fries (we split the fries). I think that is a reasonable way to handle it.

I would like to do that with my wife, but we have extremely different tastes in food that its hard to share. I try and tell myself I am only going to eat half of my dinner and take the leftovers home but that never happens. Then I pick all the leftovers off my daughters' plates and eat that too.

Society as a whole also thinks because they are soooo hungry when they sit down to eat that they need an appetizer. I am guilty of that as well, but usually don't get any due to $$$.

slim
01-11-2008, 11:50 PM
I would like to do that with my wife, but we have extremely different tastes in food that its hard to share. I try and tell myself I am only going to eat half of my dinner and take the leftovers home but that never happens. Then I pick all the leftovers off my daughters' plates and eat that too.

Society as a whole also thinks because they are soooo hungry when they sit down to eat that they need an appetizer. I am guilty of that as well, but usually don't get any due to $$$.

Well, it is a real problem. Not really sure what the answer is...we live in a country of excess...and excess is what we get. Not that I'm complaining, that's just the way it is.

Watchthemiddle
01-11-2008, 11:55 PM
Well, it is a real problem. Not really sure what the answer is...we live in a country of excess...and excess is what we get. Not that I'm complaining, that's just the way it is.

There is nothing that can really be done probably when it comes to the establishments serving the food. Portions get bigger and we get bigger as a Nation.

Food is an addiction just anything else. It takes a lot of will power to stop bad habits and change.

Bronco9798
01-12-2008, 03:06 AM
My kind of thread here.

Watchthemiddle
01-12-2008, 03:24 AM
My kind of thread here.

Thanks.

Feel free to contribute in any way you want. Advice, questions, recipe's, workouts..etc.

Bronco9798
01-12-2008, 03:25 AM
Thanks.

Feel free to contribute in any way you want. Advice, questions, recipe's, workouts..etc.

I workout about 4 days a week and love learning about food. I'm somewhat of a food/fitness freak.

Watchthemiddle
01-12-2008, 03:26 AM
I workout about 4 days a week and love learning about food. I'm somewhat of a food/fitness freak.

Cool. Enjoy the thread. :beer:

KCL
01-12-2008, 10:08 AM

this is true.People know how to lose it...willpower is the key.I have changed my eating habits quite a bit.It has helped ALOT!

Broncolingus
01-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Let's ask Todd Sauer-bum for his take...he's an expert.

Bronco9798
01-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Eating good, losing weight, and being fit is nothing more than a lifestyle change. You can't lose weight and maintain it by dieting. Dieting is a bad word that doesn't work.

Watchthemiddle
01-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Fats that help you lose weight...http://www.yahoo.com/

1. Coconut Oil
Why it makes you skinny:
Most oils, including corn and olive, are broken down into fatty acids that circulate through your body after you eat them, allowing hungry fat cells to suck them up and store them. Coconut oil, however, is rich in a type of fat rarely found in other foods, called medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs). "When you eat MCTs, they go straight to the liver instead of going directly into circulation. There, they're burned up like kindling for a fire," says Cherie Calbom, author of The Coconut Diet.

Plus, your body requires extra energy to digest MCTs. Including them can increase your daily burn by 45 calories, says Marie-Pierre St-Onge, Ph.D., assistant professor of nutrition at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

How to use it:
Spread coconut oil on toast instead of butter, melt it on veggies or use it for sautéing. But don't deep-fry with it; coconut oil breaks down at high temperatures. Look for virgin oil (nonvirgin is processed and tastes nasty) at health-food stores. Beware: Coconut oil is saturated and can raise cholesterol and triglycerides, so alternate it with other oils.

2. Enova
Why it makes you skinny:
Traditional fats contain three fatty acids, but Enova, an oil, has just two, so your body treats it differently. It's processed in much the same way as coconut oil, traveling directly to the liver, where it's burned off and used for energy.

When people on low-calorie diets consumed 15 percent of their daily calories from Enova (between three and eight teaspoons), they lost 1 percent more weight and nearly 3 percent more body fat than those who ate a similar amount of vegetable oil.

How to use it:
Enova's neutral taste makes it perfect for salad dressings. You can also bake and sauté with it, but don't use it for frying, says Kyle Shadix, R.D., of the Art Institute of New York City/New York Restaurant School, as it can change taste and color when overheated. One caveat: Enova is expensive — it costs about $6.65 for a 20-ounce bottle, compared to about $1.60 for the same size bottle of vegetable oil.

3. Nut Butters
Why they make you skinny:
Research has shown that people who eat nut butters often weigh less than those who shun them. It's likely that the combination of protein, fat and fiber keeps you full, so you'll eat less overall.

Whole nuts are effective, too: Purdue University researchers found that people who added peanuts to their diet for 19 weeks boosted the amount of calories they burned at rest by 11 percent. Why? The unsaturated fat in peanuts and nut butters burns faster than other fats.

How to use them:
Nut butters add flavor to Asian noodles, satays or dipping sauces, or you can use them as a spread for your morning muffin. Chunky varieties are better, since they have more fiber than creamy versions. But a little goes a long way, says New York-based nutritionist Bonnie Taub-Dix, R.D. "The ideal amount is one to two tablespoons, not the whole jar." Use natural versions that are free of added oils and hydrogenated fats.

When Good Fats Go Bad
All fats contain nine calories per gram. To get weight-loss benefits, you have to substitute these for fat that's already in your diet, not tack them onto what's on your plate.

Bronco9798
01-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Nothing will make you skinny or lose weight. It's a matter of mixing healthy foods with exercise. Nothing in this world will make you skinny. You want to lose weight quick. Eat nothing white (bread, rice, pasta, etc.,) and have a regular workout routine.

Watchthemiddle
01-12-2008, 08:12 PM
5-6 small meals a day, healthy dose of protein, moderate carbs ( brown stuff, not white ) and healthy fats...( see long post above)

Try and have protein/carb or protein/fat meals..but stay away from carb/protein meals as best you can. And try limit your carbs 4 hours before bedtime.

Bronco9798
01-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Eat the majority of your carbs in the morning and within an hour after your workout.

Watchthemiddle
01-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Eat the majority of your carbs in the morning and within an hour after your workout.

You wanna meal to rock your workout?

1/2 cup whole oats, 2 scoops protein powder, cut up banana and a dash of cinnamon. Eat about 90 minutes prior to hitting the iron. :beer:

Bronco9798
01-12-2008, 08:17 PM
I like a bowl of oatmeal with 4 eggs mixed in it. :-)

Watchthemiddle
01-12-2008, 08:18 PM
I like a bowl of oatmeal with 4 eggs mixed in it. :-)

I can never get that quite right. Its always way too thick for me and makes me gag.

Bronco9798
01-12-2008, 08:20 PM
I can never get that quite right. Its always way too thick for me and makes me gag.

It's a great meal before or after a workout. I prefer it before and a shake after.

claymore
01-12-2008, 08:22 PM
It's a great meal before or after a workout. I prefer it before and a shake after.

Sounds like a great Breakfast.......

Watchthemiddle
01-12-2008, 08:35 PM

Do you do more water then usual in the oats?

Bronco9798
01-12-2008, 08:36 PM
Do you do more water then usual in the oats?

Yes, like it a little thick. But not all clumpy and thick.

Watchthemiddle
01-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Yes, like it a little thick. But not all clumpy and thick.

Clumpy and thick makes me gag. I'll have to give it a try again. If not, just stick with my oats/protein in a blender.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Clumpy and thick makes me gag. I'll have to give it a try again. If not, just stick with my oats/protein in a blender.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

:marchmellow: :marchmellow:

SmilinAssasSin27
01-13-2008, 10:53 AM
Although I'm fat again...thru no fault of my own of course...I lost 50+ pounds on 2 occasions. I did a bastardized version of Atkins which worked great. I also did the whole smaller meals every 3 hours thing and that worked too. As schedules/jobs change though...neither are easy to manage. I did great til I began work at the prison. I don't have enough time to leave for lunch and we can't take stuff in the facility.

Bronco9798
01-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Although I'm fat again...thru no fault of my own of course...I lost 50+ pounds on 2 occasions. I did a bastardized version of Atkins which worked great. I also did the whole smaller meals every 3 hours thing and that worked too. As schedules/jobs change though...neither are easy to manage. I did great til I began work at the prison. I don't have enough time to leave for lunch and we can't take stuff in the facility.

Don't use a diet plan, you always gain it back. Just eat better period. People make it too complicated.

Watchthemiddle
01-27-2008, 09:10 PM
--- bump ----

Jody
01-27-2008, 09:24 PM
--- bump ----

Sweet!
Getting ready for your big debut post, WTM?
I've been looking forward to see what your new material will be.

:dancing: ----> this is good and healthy. :D

Watchthemiddle
01-27-2008, 10:08 PM
Sweet!
Getting ready for your big debut post, WTM?
I've been looking forward to see what your new material will be.

:dancing: ----> this is good and healthy. :D

I am.

Thought about making this my little journal thread. Daily workout and diet log. Progress pics..the whole nine yards...:laugh:

Jody
01-27-2008, 10:11 PM
I am.

Thought about making this my little journal thread. Daily workout and diet log. Progress pics..the whole nine yards...:laugh:

Great! I'll be looking forward to seeing more of you. ;)

It really does sound like a unique and clever idea on your part.

Watchthemiddle
01-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Great! I'll be looking forward to seeing more of you. ;)

It really does sound like a unique and clever idea on your part.

I would do it for several reasons.

To show others how easy and simple it can be to do something in order to change your body and health.

Also, its an accountability thing. In the case of exercise, diet, getting healthy..etc. it really helps to have others who can act as an "accountabilty" partner.

I see so many people set out to lose weight, get stronger, get more toned all to see them fail because they were doing it by themselves. The motivation might be there to begin with, but after a few weeks they miss a day. Then two, then a week, and before they know it its a month and they are done.

We don't always have someone we can workout with, diet with, exercise with but that doesn't mean we can't have accountability partners.

Jody
01-27-2008, 10:22 PM

To show others how easy and simple it can be to do something in order to change your body and health.

Also, its an accountability thing. In the case of exercise, diet, getting healthy..etc. it really helps to have others who can act as an "accountabilty" partner.

I see so many people set out to lose weight, get stronger, get more toned all to see them fail because they were doing it by themselves. The motivation might be there to begin with, but after a few weeks they miss a day. Then two, then a week, and before they know it its a month and they are done.

We don't always have someone we can workout with, diet with, exercise with but that doesn't mean we can't have accountability partners.

I'm motivated moreso just reading this, so I think you may have a valid point. For another reason, I'm personally someone who acts very independently on most facets of life, but working out....I feel better with company, more enthusiastic, so I agree with your thinking here. I had a personal trainer years ago. Actually, it was Mark Schellen (#83 full back for Big Red), but 8 sessions with him (laughing hysterically-because he's hillarious), was $400.00. Needless to say, I only signed up with him for 8 sessions. The minute I stopped, I didn't have the drive to continue on by myself. He's the one who taught me about weightlifting.

Watchthemiddle
01-27-2008, 10:26 PM
I'm motivated moreso just reading this, so I think you may have a valid point. For another reason, I'm personally someone who acts very independently on most facets of life, but working out....I feel better with company, more enthusiastic, so I agree with your thinking here. I had a personal trainer years ago. Actually, it was Mark Schellen (#83 full back for Big Red), but 8 sessions with him (laughing hysterically-because he's hillarious), was $400.00. Needless to say, I only signed up with him for 8 sessions. The minute I stopped, I didn't have the drive to continue on by myself. He's the one who taught me about weightlifting.

Well thats cool.

I have always thought it would be fun to do some kind of "challenge" on a board like this. People could post their stats, pics if they wanted, and goals. Set a time frame, and see who had the best results at the end.

I just don't have the means for a "reward" ....:laugh:

Jody
01-27-2008, 10:30 PM
Well thats cool.

I have always thought it would be fun to do some kind of "challenge" on a board like this. People could post their stats, pics if they wanted, and goals. Set a time frame, and see who had the best results at the end.

I just don't have the means for a "reward" ....:laugh:

I would join up with this idea. I'm not sure about posting pics though, because I'm 'shy'. ;)

I would not be able to start until after next weekend though, as I have my hands full with life's 'stuff' right now. :D Good, good idea.

DenverBronkHoes
01-27-2008, 10:31 PM
anybody take NaturBee products?

i take 500mg of fish oil everyday and some red yeast rice... i wake up every morning feeling like i just got laid

Watchthemiddle
01-27-2008, 10:32 PM
I would join up with this idea. I'm not sure about posting pics though, because I'm 'shy'. ;)

I would not be able to start until after next weekend though, as I have my hands full with life's 'stuff' right now. :D Good, good idea.

Well maybe I will get the ball rolling with my own and see how many others might be interested.

Bronco9798
01-27-2008, 10:34 PM

I always found having a partner was more of a distraction and you can't always count on them. Then you miss your workout cause they couldn't make it, they talk to much, if you're lifting together and doing the same thing, you may not use the same weight, etc.,

I like doing my own thing and relying on myself. I believe in getting a workout done at my pace, not somebody else. I get in and get done with no talking. I like a 35 to 45 minute workout and get out. I like a higher intensity, face moving pace for the most part. I hate being bothered when I workout.

There are people I go with at the same time, but I do my thing and they do theirs without much distraction.

Just the way I like it personally.

Jody
01-27-2008, 10:38 PM
I always found having a partner was more of a distraction and you can't always count on them. Then you miss when your workout cause they couldn't make it, they talk to much, if you're lifting together and doing the same thing, you may not use the same weight, etc.,

I like doing my own thing and relying on myself. I believe in getting a workout done at my pace, not somebody else. I get in and get done with no talking. I like a 35 to 45 minute workout and get out. I like a higher intensity, face moving pace for the most part. I hate being bothered when I workout.

There are people I go with at the same time, but I do my thing and they do theirs without much distraction.

And you call yourself approachable? hmmm? Ha.
People are a distraction, they hold you up, they talk too much. Gotcha. ;)

Just like teasing you about that is all. :D

Bronco9798
01-27-2008, 10:40 PM
And you call yourself approachable? hmmm? Ha.
People are a distraction, they hold you up, they talk too much. Gotcha. ;)

Just like teasing you about that is all. :D

I see the socialites at th gym who say they got a "workout" in cause they were there. Phooey, I watch them and their couple of exercises and think they got a workout in. We have them where I go. Funny thing is they either quit going or they make no gains. I'm there to workout not talk, just me.......:D

Watchthemiddle
01-27-2008, 10:46 PM
I always found having a partner was more of a distraction and you can't always count on them. Then you miss your workout cause they couldn't make it, they talk to much, if you're lifting together and doing the same thing, you may not use the same weight, etc.,

I am that same way, but thats really not the type of accoutability I am talking about.

Kind of like support. Obviously we can't all workout together, but we can support each other and help each other out.

Hobe
01-27-2008, 10:56 PM
There are three things that I have found help me to lose weight and feel better. This is not a diet, just three general rules. They are hard to stick to for various reasons, but when I do stick to them everything seems to come together. They are:

· Eat foods with as little processing as possible. Fresh veggies and fruits, meat I prepare and cook myself, thing like that. Processed foods have so much stuff in them that is there solely to extent their shelf life.
· Always start with a small portion on your plate. If you are still hungry after eating it you can go back for seconds. If I put lot on my plate I tend eat it all.
· Avoid large blasts of sugar. This one is the hardest for me. That big bowl of ice cream, the large candy bar, a hand full of Hot Tamale candies, any of these blow my control for days.

When I have stuck to these rules consistently I have lost weight, even with out exercise.

Watchthemiddle
01-27-2008, 10:58 PM
There are three things that I have found help me to lose weight and feel better. This is not a diet, just three general rules. They are hard to stick to for various reasons, but when I do stick to them everything seems to come together. They are:

· Eat foods with as little processing as possible. Fresh veggies and fruits, meat I prepare and cook myself, thing like that. Processed foods have so much stuff in them that is there solely to extent their shelf life.
· Always start with a small portion on your plate. If you are still hungry after eating it you can go back for seconds. If I put lot on my plate I tend eat it all.
· Avoid large blasts of sugar. This one is the hardest for me. That big bowl of ice cream, the large candy bar, a hand full of Hot Tamale candies, any of these blow my control for days.

When I have stuck to these rules consistently I have lost weight, even with out exercise.

THose are all good. Leaving a trip to the grocery store with no boxed items or canned items is a good thing.

Good post.

LoyalSoldier
01-27-2008, 11:12 PM
Here is what I run for my football workout in the college offseason.

Stretching
1/2 Hour Warm up by running

Monday (Arms. Pecks,Shoulders, and neck)

I vary the reps by how much time I have. When I want to press myself I'll do 25 sets of 20.

Bicep Curls at 55 pounds per arm
Tricep Lifts at 55 poudns per arm
Bench Press
Push ups
Shoulder Curls
Hindu Push ups
Pull ups

I put in other arm exercises to mix things up.

Wednesday (Torso)

Sit ups
Ab Curl machine
Seal Sit ups
Fury Sit ups
Back Bridge (for conditioning)

Friday (Legs)

I throw in extra running toward the end

Leg Press
Calf Raise
Squats (no weights)
Lunges
Hindu Squats
Hamstring press
Squats (w/ weights)

That is a general outline. I do change things around to keep it from getting boring. I also slip in agility training.

Watchthemiddle
01-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Here is what I run for my football workout in the college offseason.

Stretching
1/2 Hour Warm up by running

Monday (Arms,Shoulders, and neck)

I vary the reps by how much time I have. When I want to press myself I'll do 25 sets of 20.

Bicep Curls at 55 pounds per arm
Tricep Lifts at 55 poudns per arm
Bench Press
Push ups
Shoulder Curls
Hindu Push ups
Pull ups

I put in other arm exercises to mix things up.

Wednesday (Torso)

Sit ups
Ab Curl machine
Seal Sit ups
Fury Sit ups
Back Bridge (for conditioning)

Friday (Legs)

I throw in extra running toward the end

Leg Press
Calf Raise
Squats (no weights)
Lunges
Hindu Squats
Hamstring press
Squats (w/ weights)

That is a general outline. I do change things around to keep it from getting boring. I also slip in agility training.

Thats an intense workout.

If you have time once the season starts, I would be interested in your workouts at college and eating schedule.

What kinds of foods you guys eat, are allowed to eat, whats on the training table...etc.

LoyalSoldier
01-27-2008, 11:23 PM
Thats an intense workout.

If you have time once the season starts, I would be interested in your workouts at college and eating schedule.

What kinds of foods you guys eat, are allowed to eat, whats on the training table...etc.

Well I don't know what to expect at WSU, but as for the last few years. Our diet has largely been a mix of about 60/40 protein to good carbs. We weren't allowed to eat a lot of refined sugar so we had tons of fruits. I almost became a banana by the end of last season. ;) Also I can't tell you how many ways I had to find to make Chicken look interesting.

First few days of practice were always brutal because the coach wanted to see who kept in shape. I think this last year we ran a mile to start and then followed that up with typical agility drills. After all that we ran strength and footwork drills. If we couldn't do any of them up to coaches expectations we had to do 55 push ups on the spot. After day 3 the workouts became a normal day of practice which meant the you only half dead. ;)

Watchthemiddle
01-27-2008, 11:28 PM
Well I don't know what to expect at WSU, but as for the last few years. Our diet has largely been a mix of about 60/40 protein to good carbs. We weren't allowed to eat a lot of refined sugar so we had tons of fruits. I almost became a banana by the end of last season. ;) Also I can't tell you how many ways I had to find to make Chicken look interesting.

First few days of practice were always brutal because the coach wanted to see who kept in shape. I think this last year we ran a mile to start and then followed that up with typical agility drills. After all that we ran strength and footwork drills. If we couldn't do any of them up to coaches expectations we had to do 55 push ups on the spot. After day 3 the workouts became a normal day of practice which meant the you only half dead. ;)

Cool...keep us posted if you get a chance.

Bronco9798
01-27-2008, 11:33 PM
I really don't have a set routine. I'm doing this right now. I change about every 4 weeks and go to different variations with body parts.

Chest/Triceps
Incline Bench, 45 degree dips, and dumbell presses
Pulldowns with a straight bar and then rope, and I incorporate different tricep exercises each session.
I do push-ups every workout and do incline push-ups.
10 minutes of interval on treadmill at the end.

Back/Biceps
Pull ups-Chin-ups. Change grips every set from in close to wide
Seated row
Incline curls
Rope curls
and either a straight bar or short bar curls
10 minutes intervals on treadmill

Shoulders/traps
I'm not big on doing a lot of shoulders since my shoulder surgery and shoulders get enough secondary work almost every workout. I vary my trap excercises with differnt shrug movements.
10 Intervasl on Treadmill.

I do abs and more intervals on my in between days.

Watchthemiddle
01-27-2008, 11:55 PM
I just finished up a workout called "DC training" or "Doggcrap" training.

If anyone is interested in learning about it visit...
http://dc-training.blogspot.com/

It takes a lot of reading to understand it and comprehend it. I can say your strength will sky rocket and you can bulk or cut using the program.

I am currently completely changing up my routine from the run of the mil 4-5 day splits.

I am doing a upper and lower body split. Chest, shoulders, back, bi's, and tris.

2 exercises each, 5 sets. minimal rest in between sets (45 sec - 1 min) and increasing the weight per set.

Lower would be leg presses or aquats, leg extensions, leg curls and some kind of step up on a bench or lunges.

Cardio is 3 days a week and HIIT training. A lot like my weight routine..warm up, gradually increase the speed for 4-5 minutes to almost a sprint then drop it back down to a slower pace. Do that for about 4 cycles.

Bronco9798
01-28-2008, 12:01 AM
I just finished up a workout called "DC training" or "Doggcrap" training.

If anyone is interested in learning about it visit...
http://dc-training.blogspot.com/

It takes a lot of reading to understand it and comprehend it. I can say your strength will sky rocket and you can bulk or cut using the program.

I am currently completely changing up my routine from the run of the mil 4-5 day splits.

I am doing a upper and lower body split. Chest, shoulders, back, bi's, and tris.

2 exercises each, 5 sets. minimal rest in between sets (45 sec - 1 min) and increasing the weight per set.

Lower would be leg presses or aquats, leg extensions, leg curls and some kind of step up on a bench or lunges.

Cardio is 3 days a week and HIIT training. A lot like my weight routine..warm up, gradually increase the speed for 4-5 minutes to almost a sprint then drop it back down to a slower pace. Do that for about 4 cycles.

Sounds good.

I do a one minute moderate walk, a 30 second jog, and a 30 second intense sprint on my intervals. Kicks my ass. Not bad on the 10 minute ones, but on off days I shoot for 15-20 minutes. I like getting at least 8 to 9 sprints in on my off days and 4 or 5 on my lift days.

I change about every 4 to 5 weeks or so on my lifting. I used to do a lot of full body workouts then switched to splits.

Watchthemiddle
01-28-2008, 12:03 AM
Sounds good.

I do a one minute moderate walk, a 30 second jog, and a 30 second intense sprint on my intervals. Kicks my ass. Not bad on the 10 minute ones, but on off days I shoot for 15-20 minutes. I like getting at least 8 to 9 sprints in on my off days and 4 or 5 on my lift days.

I change about every 4 to 5 weeks or so on my lifting. I used to do a lot of full body workouts then switched to splits.

Interval training is the best. Good results, shorter amount of time. If people only knew that you don't need to spend hours in the gym.

Bronco9798
01-28-2008, 12:06 AM
Interval training is the best. Good results, shorter amount of time. If people only knew that you don't need to spend hours in the gym.

Long jogs actually curtail growth and strength and isn't real effective in my own opinion. It burns calories but you usually quit burning right after the jog.

Intervals continue your metabolic rate at a good rate once you finish. Just a lot more effective if you lift and want to burn body fat.

Watchthemiddle
01-28-2008, 12:14 AM
Long jogs actually curtail growth and strength and isn't real effective in my own opinion. It burns calories but you usually quit burning right after the jog.

Intervals continue your metabolic rate at a good rate once you finish. Just a lot more effective if you lift and want to burn body fat.

BINGO!!!!

LoyalSoldier
01-28-2008, 12:36 AM

Quality over quantity. I would rather get 10 good reps than 100 bad ones.

Watchthemiddle
02-07-2008, 07:41 PM
It is said, that you are what you eat, so eat well! A stupendous insight of civilizations past has now been confirmed by today's investigative, nutritional sciences. They have shown that what was once called "The Doctrine of Signatures," was astoundingly correct. It now contends that every whole food has a pattern that resembles a body organ or physiological function and that this pattern acts as a signal or sign as to the benefit the food provides the eater.

Here is just a short list of examples of Whole Food Signatures.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1709/carrotwf8.png (http://imageshack.us)

A sliced Carrot looks like the human eye. The pupil, iris and radiating lines look just like the human eye...and science shows that carrots greatly enhance blood flow to and function of the eyes.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/497/tombl7.png (http://imageshack.us)

A Tomato has four chambers and is red. The heart is red and has four chambers. All of the research shows tomatoes are indeed pure heart and blood food.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8902/grapeszd6.png (http://imageshack.us)

Grapes hang in a cluster that has the shape of the heart. Each grape looks like a blood cell and all of the research today shows that grapes are also profound heart and blood vitalizing food.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1328/walnuteg4.png (http://imageshack.us)

A Walnut looks like a little brain, a left and right hemisphere, upper cerebrums and lower cerebellums. Even the wrinkles or folds are on the nut just like the neo-cortex. We now know that walnuts help develop over 3 dozen neuron-transmitters for brain function.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/4405/kidneybeansca0.png (http://imageshack.us)

Kidney Beans actually heal and help maintain kidney function and yes, they look exactly like the human kidneys.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/4800/celeryuq6.png (http://imageshack.us)

Celery, Bok Choy, Rhubarb and more look just like bones. These foods specifically target bone strength. Bones are 23% sodium and these foods are 23% sodium. If you don't have enough sodium in your diet the body pulls it from the bones, making them weak. These foods replenish the skeletal needs of the body.

Watchthemiddle
02-07-2008, 07:42 PM
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/730/avocadoxm7.png (http://imageshack.us)

Eggplant, Avocadoes and Pears target the health and function of the womb and cervix of the female - they look just like these organs. Today's research shows that when a woman eats 1 avocado a week, it balances hormones, sheds unwanted birth weight and prevents cervical cancers. And how profound is this? ... It takes exactly 9 months to grow an avocado from blossom to ripened fruit. There are over 14,000 photolytic chemical constituents of nutrition in each one of these foods (modern science has only studied and named about 141 of them).

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/9900/figsfd8.png (http://imageshack.us)

Figs are full of seeds and hang in twos when they grow. Figs increase the motility of male sperm and increase the numbers of sperm as well to overcome male sterility.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/9562/sweetpotmq5.png (http://imageshack.us)

Sweet Potatoes look like the pancreas and actually balance the glycemic index of diabetics.

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/4029/olivesyb6.png (http://imageshack.us)

Olives assist the health and function of the ovaries.
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/8606/grapefruitwv9.png (http://imageshack.us)

Grapefruits, Oranges, and other citrus fruits look just like the mammary glands of the female and actually assist the health of the breasts and the movement of lymph in and out of the breasts.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7374/onionsxg1.png (http://imageshack.us)

Onions look like body cells. Today's research shows that onions help clear waste materials from all of the body cells They even produce tears which wash the epithelial layers of the eyes.

slim
02-07-2008, 08:44 PM
What about the bananna?

Broncoschic7
02-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Though I have always been active in sports, roping, etc., I changed my diet several years ago at the advice of a good friend and I started actually working out on a regular basis 5-6 days a week. My diet is hugely (made-up word,,lol) important for me and by going to the gym I feel 100% better overall. Currently, I do cardio 5 days a week along with weights usually 4 days a week. i rotate my routine about every 4-5 weeks.

frauschieze
02-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Pomegranite?

Broncoschic7
02-07-2008, 08:50 PM
WTM, I actually love avocados and eat the heck outta fresh guacamole dip. One of my favorite snacks.

Rex
02-07-2008, 08:51 PM
WTM, I actually love avocados and eat the heck outta fresh guacamole dip. One of my favorite snacks.

Me too. I eat at least 4 avacados a week.

Broncoschic7
02-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Me too. I eat at least 4 avacados a week.

It's great chunked up in a salad as well.

CoachChaz
02-07-2008, 08:58 PM
I guess that makes me a clam

Rex
02-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Intersting:

You will develop up to 19% increase in arm strength if do cardio AFTER lifting weights

(Journal of Applied Physiology)

BroncoJoe
02-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Hey cs, my SI (Sacroiliitis) joint is stuck.

Guess I'm joining you and 9'er in the back problem ranks.

Rex
02-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Hey cs, my SI (Sacroiliitis) joint is stuck.

Guess I'm joining you and 9'er in the back problem ranks.

You are a 40 y/o male. Your SI joint does not move. It is your lumbar spine. Trust me.

BroncoJoe
02-07-2008, 09:05 PM
You are a 40 y/o male. Your SI joint does not move. It is your lumbar spine. Trust me.

Really? That's what the Doctor (well, PA) said.

What can I do about it? Felt like a bolt of lightening goes through my body a couple times a day.

slim
02-07-2008, 09:10 PM

What can I do about it? Felt like a bolt of lightening goes through my body a couple times a day.

Wear rubber-soled shoes.

BroncoJoe
02-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Wear rubber-soled shoes.

You shut your mouth, fat ass. We're having a serious conversation here about me and my problems.

Rex
02-07-2008, 09:14 PM

That is called a lumbar disc my friend. Please, if you believe anything I have ever said, believe this one.

BroncoJoe
02-07-2008, 09:15 PM
That is called a lumbar disc my friend. Please, if you believe anything I have ever said, believe this one.

Fine. I believe you. Now tell me what the you-know-what I can do about it.

Rex
02-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Fine. I believe you. Now tell me what the you-know-what I can do about it.

Do you have pay pal?

Slick
02-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Anyone recommend a good mens multi-vitamin?

6'3" roughly 200lbs. give or take 5 pounds depending on beer intake. Push ups, crunches and swimming have been my main forms of exercise since I've relocated here. I'm not in great shape, but not a slob either.

I eat fairly well, fish, pork and chicken most of the time, sometimes I'll treat myself to a steak, although the beef doesn't taste the same here in Mexico.

The produce here is hit and miss, anything with a peel is usually great, but veggies have to be soaked in a filtered water bath with drops added to be edible. It's tough to get the requirements of nutrients I need on a daily basis.

My sister is coming down next month so I can order something to her house and have her bring it down. I'm looking some myself, but would appreciate any advice.

Bronco9798
02-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Unless you are vitamin deficient, most of your vitamins and stuff are in the foods you eat. I personally wouldnt waste my money on vitamins,,,but I eat good.

Watchthemiddle
02-07-2008, 10:10 PM

If you are looking for a GREAT pre-workout snack/meal....get a 100% whole wheat tortilla, black beans...( low sodium, or no salt added cans ) and half an avocado.

Make a burrito. Possibly one of the most complete meals you can have with a ton of nutrients and energy for a workout.

Watchthemiddle
02-07-2008, 10:26 PM
Anyone recommend a good mens multi-vitamin?

6'3" roughly 200lbs. give or take 5 pounds depending on beer intake. Push ups, crunches and swimming have been my main forms of exercise since I've relocated here. I'm not in great shape, but not a slob either.

I eat fairly well, fish, pork and chicken most of the time, sometimes I'll treat myself to a steak, although the beef doesn't taste the same here in Mexico.

The produce here is hit and miss, anything with a peel is usually great, but veggies have to be soaked in a filtered water bath with drops added to be edible. It's tough to get the requirements of nutrients I need on a daily basis.

My sister is coming down next month so I can order something to her house and have her bring it down. I'm looking some myself, but would appreciate any advice.

Since you are in Mexico and the quality of food might be different then we have here, a multi might be good.

On the high end -Animal Pak...about $16 - $18 online at some sites. About $35 or so at GNC.

Low end...one a day energy blend...- about $5-$7 at Walmart.

Slick
02-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Since you are in Mexico and the quality of food might be different then we have here, a multi might be good.

On the high end -Animal Pak...about $16 - $18 online at some sites. About $35 or so at GNC.

Low end...one a day energy blend...- about $5-$7 at Walmart.

In a perfect situation, I'd do what 9798 suggested, but it's tough. Produce goes bad quicker because of the heat and humidity here, and it's just unrealistic for me to spend an hour cleaning veggies every night.

I remember reading about that animal Pak when you started this thread, I'll look into it.

Some days I'm diving 4 times a day, with less than 1 hour between dives, which leaves me little to no time to eat well. I basically have to snack throughout the day, which I guess is probably better for the metabolism anyway, I just worry sometimes I'm not getting everything I need.

Thanks.

Watchthemiddle
02-07-2008, 10:44 PM
In a perfect situation, I'd do what 9798 suggested, but it's tough. Produce goes bad quicker because of the heat and humidity here, and it's just unrealistic for me to spend an hour cleaning veggies every night.

I remember reading about that animal Pak when you started this thread, I'll look into it.

Some days I'm diving 4 times a day, with less than 1 hour between dives, which leaves me little to no time to eat well. I basically have to snack throughout the day, which I guess is probably better for the metabolism anyway, I just worry sometimes I'm not getting everything I need.

Thanks.

Food is definately the best...but you are in a unique situation...and even those of us in the U.S. who do what we can to eat good and clean foods its tough to meet all your vitamin and mineral requirements.

Diving 4 times a day...thats cool. Pack some food for the in between times if you can and make them as nutrient dense as you can. Whole wheat breads, tortillas, ( that black bean/avocado burrito would be great in your situation...natural peanut butter, sweet potatoes are a great snack, tuna sandwiches, fruits and veggies, almonds, protein shakes....etc. All that if you have access to those types of foods while you are in Mexico.

Slick
02-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Food is definately the best...but you are in a unique situation...and even those of us in the U.S. who do what we can to eat good and clean foods its tough to meet all your vitamin and mineral requirements.

Diving 4 times a day...thats cool. Pack some food for the in between times if you can and make them as nutrient dense as you can. Whole wheat breads, tortillas, ( that black bean/avocado burrito would be great in your situation...natural peanut butter, sweet potatoes are a great snack, tuna sandwiches, fruits and veggies, almonds, protein shakes....etc. All that if you have access to those types of foods while you are in Mexico.

I pretty much have access to all of that, believe it or not. Tortillas are limited, hand made corn are the most accessible, followed by store brand white flour ones. Whole wheat breads are here, and I'm already all over those.

The best thing for me is to walk 30 steps to the marina and buy fresh mahi mahi, yellow snapper, and grouper, 30 minutes after it is pulled out of the water. That has been great.

Thanks again for the advice. :salute:

NickTranOwnz
02-09-2008, 01:51 AM
Well I've been lifting a while. First I used Muscle Milk. Worked a lot, but recently I've been stuck on a plateau. Great taste and cheap.

Now I'm using MuscleTech's Nitro-Tech. Haven't used it enough though. I bought the Tropical Fruit flavor. Tastes good at first, horrible after taste (like cornflakes). But I've been getting off my plateau now.

Watchthemiddle
02-09-2008, 02:05 AM
Well I've been lifting a while. First I used Muscle Milk. Worked a lot, but recently I've been stuck on a plateau. Great taste and cheap.

Now I'm using MuscleTech's Nitro-Tech. Haven't used it enough though. I bought the Tropical Fruit flavor. Tastes good at first, horrible after taste (like cornflakes). But I've been getting off my plateau now.

WHen you start to plateau, check your diet and amount of sleep you are getting.

Its amazing at what an extra hour of sleep a night or if you can a nap during the day can do for your workouts.

Also, play around with your diet. Up-ing your calories with good clean foods can bust a plateau out of the water.

LoyalSoldier
02-09-2008, 02:27 AM
WHen you start to plateau, check your diet and amount of sleep you are getting.

Its amazing at what an extra hour of sleep a night or if you can a nap during the day can do for your workouts.

Also, play around with your diet. Up-ing your calories with good clean foods can bust a plateau out of the water.

I usually take a quick nap after my work out and then get on with my day. It always seems to help me.

Watchthemiddle
02-09-2008, 02:50 AM
I usually take a quick nap after my work out and then get on with my day. It always seems to help me.

Aren't you lucky...:laugh:

Thats going to really help you grow too.

You don't grow in the gym, you grow when you sleep.

Back to plateau busting....if you aren't getting ample sleep, you aren't going to grow.

Jody
02-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Dear WTM,

I need my treadmill fixed. I think it tried to kill me and my daughter.

Should I take this personal? :confused:

I'll be checking back with you, especially after my filet and lobster last night. I awoke several times in the middle of the night with great guilt. :D

Watchthemiddle
02-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Dear WTM,

I need my treadmill fixed. I think it tried to kill me and my daughter.

Should I take this personal? :confused:

I'll be checking back with you, especially after my filet and lobster last night. I awoke several times in the middle of the night with great guilt. :D

:laugh:

How did it try and kill you?? :laugh:

Was it upset for some reason with your eating habits?? :D

Don't feel guity about your splurge of crown and cokes, filet and lobster. ( what about dessert?) that 3000 calorie dinner probably didn't harm you one bit.

Just bustin your chops...it was a special occasion, you had some good quality time with your daughter on her birthday and you deserved to treat yourself and her a bit.

Bronco9798
02-10-2008, 07:16 PM
I just ate 5 tacos. Actually pretty good!!!

Watchthemiddle
02-10-2008, 07:19 PM
I just ate 5 tacos. Actually pretty good!!!

yummmm tacos...:beer:

Today is one of my splurge meals. (42 meals a week, 40 healthy, two cheats :D) We had a potluck today at Church and I helped myself to TWO heaping plate fulls of food and dessert.

The rest of my day will be my typical shakes and chicken and veggies.

I bet after that meal I had for lunch, my workout tonight is going to be insane. :elefant:

Jody
02-10-2008, 07:25 PM
:laugh:

How did it try and kill you??

Was it upset for some reason with your eating habits?? :D

Don't feel guity about your splurge of crown and cokes, filet and lobster. ( what about dessert?) that 3000 calorie dinner probably didn't harm you one bit.

Just bustin your chops...it was a special occasion, you had some good quality time with your daughter on her birthday and you deserved to treat yourself and her a bit.

Good news WTM! I passed on dessert! Chocolate cheese cake with chocolate chips, drizzled with yet more chocolate. I'm so proud of myself.;)

True story about the treadmill. You step on it several times and it doesn't come on, and suddenly!!!!!! You step on it and it comes on at high speed.:shocked: My daughter pulled a Jetson on it. Fell down on it and was escorted to the back of the treadmill. :D Now she thinks it's "wicked". :lol:

Day1BroncoFan
02-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Good news WTM! I passed on dessert! Chocolate cheese cake with chocolate chips, drizzled with yet more chocolate. I'm so proud of myself.;)

True story about the treadmill. You step on it several times and it doesn't come on, and suddenly!!!!!! You step on it and it comes on at high speed.:shocked: My daughter pulled a Jetson on it. Fell down on it and was escorted to the back of the treadmill. :D Now she thinks it's "wicked". :lol:

Maybe you should call an exorcist. :eek:

Watchthemiddle
02-10-2008, 07:30 PM

Is it still under warranty? Can you call the manufacturer?

I just bought a new one this week. My old one still works, but every time you touch it as it was running it would shock you and shock you bad. A few times it shocked me so bad it flipped the breaker and blew the LED screen. THe manufacturer sent me a new screen for free. :elefant:

If you are looking to get a new one, there are good deals still right now because of all of the "New Years Resolutions"...:laugh:

Jody
02-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Maybe you should call an exorcist. :eek:

My daughter thinks this.

Actually WTM, this was a 'gift' to me from my sister-in-law who passed away about 18 months ago. This is a Pro Form Space Saver. I have no papers on it. Dog gone it. :D

Watchthemiddle
02-10-2008, 07:49 PM
My daughter thinks this.

Actually WTM, this was a 'gift' to me from my sister-in-law who passed away about 18 months ago. This is a Pro Form Space Saver. I have no papers on it. Dog gone it. :D

You still might be able to contact the manufacturer and get some advice or help. I have found that the "exercise industry" is very helpful getting you replacement parts or help when needed. In all the things I have owned and things lost over the years..etc. I have never paid to get them replaced. Even without warranty stuff.

Do a little googling and see if you can get a contact number for that company. I'd be willing to bet they would help you out. :D

Jody
02-10-2008, 07:51 PM
You still might be able to contact the manufacturer and get some advice or help. I have found that the "exercise industry" is very helpful getting you replacement parts or help when needed. In all the things I have owned and things lost over the years..etc. I have never paid to get them replaced. Even without warranty stuff.

Do a little googling and see if you can get a contact number for that company. I'd be willing to bet they would help you out. :D

That almost sounds perverse, WTM. :lol:

One googling maniac coming up! :D

Reidman
03-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Bump.....

So earlier in this thread I posted I was running the treadmill daily to shed some pounds. That lasted for maybe a month and then the fatigue of high impact running set in and I basically stopped.

Recently I have hopped back aboard the health train and I have a goal in mind to initially lose 36 pounds. I am currently 236 so I'm shooting for 200. I've enlisted the help of weight watchers which I used to discredit but I'll try anything once so we'll see if it helps. So far I've lost 2.5 pounds this past week so I'm not sure if that's do to portion control and eating right from the program or exercising the half hour daily on the elliptical.

I plan on weight training soon but I'd like to get a little lighter before bulking up. Some of the supplements I've been taking are NO explode, animal pak, Whey protein and Ripped fuel. Probably excessive for my light workout but they can't hurt.

Anyway, I'll try to keep updated on my progress. I have bet with a friend at work, we are racing to 205 lbs. He needs to gain weight (muscle) to 205 and I need to lose. Should be competitive and fun!

Mike
03-04-2008, 09:46 AM
Bump.....

So earlier in this thread I posted I was running the treadmill daily to shed some pounds. That lasted for maybe a month and then the fatigue of high impact running set in and I basically stopped.

Recently I have hopped back aboard the health train and I have a goal in mind to initially lose 36 pounds. I am currently 236 so I'm shooting for 200. I've enlisted the help of weight watchers which I used to discredit but I'll try anything once so we'll see if it helps. So far I've lost 2.5 pounds this past week so I'm not sure if that's do to portion control and eating right from the program or exercising the half hour daily on the elliptical.

I plan on weight training soon but I'd like to get a little lighter before bulking up. Some of the supplements I've been taking are NO explode, animal pak, Whey protein and Ripped fuel. Probably excessive for my light workout but they can't hurt.

Anyway, I'll try to keep updated on my progress. I have bet with a friend at work, we are racing to 205 lbs. He needs to gain weight (muscle) to 205 and I need to lose. Should be competitive and fun!

Actually lifting weights helps you more than cardio does. It speeds up your metabolism. Doing both is great though. You can start light weight lifting now, so that when you want to bulk up you will be ready to start adding weight. Be careful on the supplements though.

My workout schedule has worked pretty well so far. It looks like this:

Mon - Chest
Tues - Back/Biceps
Wed - Off
Thurs - Shoulders/Triceps
Fri - Legs

Abs every day.

I do a 30 minute low intensity cardio training every day except Sunday. I am working up to doing an additional 30 minute cardio training each day too. Just been a lazy procrastinator though. ;)

Reidman
03-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Actually lifting weights helps you more than cardio does. It speeds up your metabolism. Doing both is great though. You can start light weight lifting now, so that when you want to bulk up you will be ready to start adding weight. Be careful on the supplements though.

My workout schedule has worked pretty well so far. It looks like this:

Mon - Chest
Tues - Back/Biceps
Wed - Off
Thurs - Shoulders/Triceps
Fri - Legs

Abs every day.

I do a 30 minute low intensity cardio training every day except Sunday. I am working up to doing an additional 30 minute cardio training each day too. Just been a lazy procrastinator though. ;)

Yeah LDB, you are one lazy SOB....:lol:

I've heard that too about weight lifting vs. cardio workouts but I think for me anyway I need to condition myself first. I have been a FB for too long and eaten crap for too long so this will be a lot of work. Lucky for me though I did concrete construction for 8 years so I do have a somewhat muscular frame beneath it all. My target weight is 167, but no way in hell I'm getting that light. I would look like a beanpole....

Watchthemiddle
03-20-2008, 11:37 PM
(Stolen from a post on another board that I frequent)....

Have been a little lax with my water intake the last few weeks. Did a little search on the board and found this gem, which will ensure I won't be slack again.

For those of you that have been a little lax with your water intake (like me of late) or don't drink enough

It's so simple, yet so often ignored. Water. The stuff of life. About 70% of the earth is covered in it, the same as the amount found in your body. Water is needed for every single metabolic process, including protein synthesis. So if your training intensity is high, one of the simplest things you can do for your body is to drink more water.

1. You Aren't Getting Enough
Soda and coffees don't count. In fact, though they are liquid beverages, the caffeine in both can increase fluid loss through diuresis. When this happens, the body begins storing water (see #4). Conventional wisdom tells you 6-8 glasses of water is enough per day. Since you're training for an unconventional physique, you need more. Aim for at least a half gallon to a gallon per day, depending your level of conditioning.

2. Water Clears Out Toxins
Water flushes out toxins and other metabolic waste products from the body. Water is especially important when following a "high protein" diet, as it helps remove excess nitrogen, urea (a toxic substance), and ketones. If you're eating big to gain weight, then you need even more water to help your kidneys do their work.

3. Water Helps Metabolize Fat
Without enough water, the kidneys can't function properly. When this happens, some of the load is transferred to the liver. The liver metabolizes stored fat for energy. If the liver is doing some of the kidneys' work, it burns less fat. In addition, water can actually reduce feelings of hunger.

4. Water Reduces Fluid Retention
Contrary to popular belief, drinking water can actually help you shed excess water weight. When water is in short supply, the body, thinking there's a shortage, begins hoarding it. This water is stored in extra cellular spaces. In other words, your skin starts looking soft and puffy.

5. Water Keeps You Regular
Too little water, and your body steals it from organs such as the colon. When this happens, you experience constipation. Plus, water allows you to digest your meals efficiently. This is especially true when you're consuming over 4,000 calories a day.

6. Water Helps Individuals Who Get Too Much Salt
If water retention is a chronic problem, it may be because there's too much salt in the diet. The higher the sodium intake, the more the body tries to retain water (to dilute its concentration). Either reduce salt intake or drink more water.

7. Water Helps Your Supplements Work Better
Supplements like creatine work in part because it pulls water in muscle cells, thereby creating an anabolic environment needed for growth. For this to work properly, you need plenty of water. Plus, if you're training hard, then you need a basic mega-vitamin. Many vitamins are water soluble, and water unlocks the power of those vitamins.

Reidman
03-24-2008, 10:49 AM
My progress so far....

2/25 - weighed in at 232 lbs
3/03 - 230 (-2)
3/10 - 228.4 (-1.6)
3/17 - 224.6 (-3.8)
3/24 - 221.4 (-3.2)

Total loss in 28 days : 10.6 lbs

So far so good!

Watchthemiddle
04-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Want to lose weight? Want more energy throughout the day? Get sick more then you should??

Let me define cortisol: A nasty hormone released by our bodies when we stress ourselves that causes breakdown of muscle tissue, water retention, and weight gain in the abdominal regio... Hummm...something to think about if you are stagnating in your weight loss- Time to get some extra sleep!

Another thing to consider is that your immune function is broke down when you have high cortisol levels- you will feel tired all the time, get sick more often, and get into a cycle of feeling too tired to work out- This is because of alterations in blood sugar levels (the ups and downs that cause us to crash and burn), and metabolism of muscle tissue (yes, cortisol acutally breaks down your muscle that you are working so hard to gain!) Defeating to say the least!!!

When you lower your cortisol levels, the body’s immune system repairs itself, you begin to retain muscle mass, blood sugar levels are regulated so there are no "sharp ups and downs" that cause storage of fat because of impaired insulin use, and believe it or not, you’ll be able to think faster and more clearly- opposed to staying up for days at a time to "get things done."

So, here’s a little piece of advice that we all need to remind ourselves of sometimes... When you want to reach for something that is not a good protein and carb for a snack- remember...it’s the evil cortisol signaling your brain to want the foods that are a "quick fix" for unstable blood sugar levels- remember you’l crash and burn about 30 minutes after you grab that ice cream or burger at the drive through. Also, when you feel too tired to get in that workout, remind yourself that cortisol levels are lowered by "destressing..." Get in that workout that makes you drip with sweat and your muscles scream, "no more!" Then, shower, turn the lights off, pull the covers up around you, and close your eyes... Rejuvenate yourself with 7-8 hours of sleep and increase your productivity- in your fitness goals, in school, and in work....

AlWilsonizKING
04-04-2008, 10:15 PM
I've been looking for a way to bottle my Metabolism for years.....I burn off what I'm eating AS I'M CHEWING IT!!! I tried force feeding myself just to gain some weight.....

PEACE!!!

slim
04-04-2008, 10:29 PM
My progress so far....

2/25 - weighed in at 232 lbs
3/03 - 230 (-2)
3/10 - 228.4 (-1.6)
3/17 - 224.6 (-3.8)
3/24 - 221.4 (-3.2)

Total loss in 28 days : 10.6 lbs

So far so good!

Nice work....Sounds like you are on the right track.

I need to drop about 25 pounds (I always get sloppy during tax season). I just started hitting the treadmill again this week. I actually enjoy the workout.

Good luck to you.

LoyalSoldier
04-04-2008, 10:43 PM
Man I am going to be sick of chicken by the end of the summer. *sigh* :(

Watchthemiddle
04-05-2008, 01:06 AM
I've been looking for a way to bottle my Metabolism for years.....I burn off what I'm eating AS I'M CHEWING IT!!! I tried force feeding myself just to gain some weight.....

PEACE!!!

Embrace that high metabolism...:D

If you are looking for ways to put on some weight...

1. Drink Whole Milk...no 2%, fat free...etc.
2. PB&J sandwiches. Economical and loaded with good calories.
3. Red Meat red meat red meat
4. If your budget allows it, pick up some protein poweder or weight gainer shake mix at an online supplement site. If you can't afford it, in a blender mix 2 cups of milk, 1 cup of whole oats ( raw ), bannana, and peanut butter. Calorie packed shake, very filling. If you can throw in a cup of protein powder in that shake even better.
5. Try getting in 7-8 meals a day...about 2-2 1/2 hours apart. Eat until your full, and eat some more.
6. Don't forget the weights. You don't want to crame down all this food daily and not be hitting some kind of barbell.
7. Beans, whole wheat bread, tuna, whole wheat pasta, eggs...all very affordable that you can buy in bulk, cook in bulk, and eat in bulk. :D

Watchthemiddle
04-05-2008, 01:07 AM
Man I am going to be sick of chicken by the end of the summer. *sigh* :(

What kind of diet do they have you on Soldier? I am very interested if you don't mind sharing.

Reidman
04-05-2008, 04:46 AM
...Get in that workout that makes you drip with sweat and your muscles scream, "no more!" Then, shower, turn the lights off, pull the covers up around you, and close your eyes... Rejuvenate yourself with 7-8 hours of sleep and increase your productivity- in your fitness goals, in school, and in work....

This made me feel all warm and fuzzy...:lol:

I know what you mean though, nothing like the feel of the burn and sweatin
your ass off... and sleep is usually no problem after that...

Since I've started working out I have more energy than I ever have...:elefant:

LoyalSoldier
04-05-2008, 03:52 PM
What kind of diet do they have you on Soldier? I am very interested if you don't mind sharing.

Right now I am on a high protein, low fat, and mid level of carbs. That is why chicken is ideal right now. I am also having a lot of spinach salads (lettuce isn't as nutritional) for my carbs. I am trying to get my weight up around 210 and I am at 199 right now. So I prefer to get more muscle than fat.

Watchthemiddle
05-01-2008, 12:35 AM
For Clay, Red.....Reid....whoever....

Lets do this....

Everyone has a few pounds they want to lose....

We can accomplish our goals in numbers...

Clay you are not alone....

KozmicKlown
05-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Well, I am 15. I lift weights on a daily basis. And, I need to increase my maxes. Is there anything I can do that helps? I seem to be sluggish after lunch as well, but I make sure I have good things for lunch. Maybe my food is to starchy?

Right now I am on whey protein, and I take a one-a-day active each morning and a Vitamin C pill. Would you be able to point me in the right direction, or do I need to give more information.

Thanks in advanced.

Bronco9798
05-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Well, I am 15. I lift weights on a daily basis. And, I need to increase my maxes. Is there anything I can do that helps? I seem to be sluggish after lunch as well, but I make sure I have good things for lunch. Maybe my food is to starchy?

Right now I am on whey protein, and I take a one-a-day active each morning and a Vitamin C pill. Would you be able to point me in the right direction, or do I need to give more information.

Thanks in advanced.

Your first mistake is lifting weights on a daily basis. You only lift to break down muscle cells not build muscle. If you Lift every day you don't give the muscle cells enough time to recover and build. The most important part of weight lifting is the recovery period (off days) and feeding the muscles properly.

Could get into all the muscle and recovery terminology but thats what you do in simple terms.

tripleoption
05-04-2008, 08:13 PM

Thanks in advanced.

Are you doing your own lifting routine? Are you lifting for your own personal reasons or are you lifting for athletics (football, basketball, etc.)? Like 9798 said, you don't want to do the same routine every day because you don't give your muscles time to recover, and it can defeat the purpose. Recovery is very important, and often overlooked, especially by younger lifters. You can lift daily, but you have to focus on different muscles. Depending on why you're lifting can determine what you should be doing.

KozmicKlown
05-04-2008, 08:29 PM
I guess I should have said more.

I lift Mon-Fri. Leaving weekends off to rest and repair.

On every other day I switch what I work.

One day it is Bench and Squat. Next day is Power cleans and incline.

I have no choice about that. But, is there some more lifts I should do? After school I try to lift again. Is there certain ones I should do. And, this is all for football. Coaches make us do the 4 core lifts.

Nomad
05-05-2008, 07:39 AM

I have no choice about that. But, is there some more lifts I should do? After school I try to lift again. Is there certain ones I should do. And, this is all for football. Coaches make us do the 4 core lifts.

I guess depending on your metabolism and body structure. When I was in HS I maxed out at 235(5 reps) (I weighed 190) but I seemed to never get bulky but I did get stronger and I didn't have all these protein supplements around. It seems your coaches would have all the advice for you but as young as you are I would tell you to eat the right foods and leave the supplements alone because your body is still developing. Also your coaches should be monitoring your weight lifting and have a schedule written up for you. At the end of the school year, we'd sign up for the weights program during the summer and coach would tell us to be at the school at a certain time and he'd be there and we also had a chart we'd initial.

I have two sons but I won't stress weight lifting until their junior and senior year. Sure some weights, but mostly push-ups, pull-ups, crunches, lunges, squats with a medicine ball. Also stretch.

I have a cousin whose an o-line coach and trainer for a high school in La. I'll talk to him and see what he does for the squad down there.

KozmicKlown
05-05-2008, 08:22 AM
[/B]

I guess depending on your metabolism and body structure. When I was in HS I maxed out at 235(5 reps) (I weighed 190) but I seemed to never get bulky but I did get stronger and I didn't have all these protein supplements around. It seems your coaches would have all the advice for you but as young as you are I would tell you to eat the right foods and leave the supplements alone because your body is still developing. Also your coaches should be monitoring your weight lifting and have a schedule written up for you. At the end of the school year, we'd sign up for the weights program during the summer and coach would tell us to be at the school at a certain time and he'd be there and we also had a chart we'd initial.

I have two sons but I won't stress weight lifting until their junior and senior year. Sure some weights, but mostly push-ups, pull-ups, crunches, lunges, squats with a medicine ball. Also stretch.

I have a cousin whose an o-line coach and trainer for a high school in La. I'll talk to him and see what he does for the squad down there.

Thanks. That would be appreciated!:salute:

tripleoption
05-05-2008, 08:32 AM
Do your coaches just make you do four core lifts? Do they have you do supplemental work? At the school I coach at we do BFS (Bigger Faster Stronger). It's made a huge difference. We've got players making huge gains in their lifts. It's simple and if you get after it you can be done in a half hour or less. It revolves around six core lifts (box squat, regular squat, towel bench, power clean, regular bench, and dead lift) which you do once a week. They're split up so you do two a day. Every week you change how many reps you do and how much weight you put on. Then after the two core lifts scheduled that day you do I think five supplemental lifts (two sets of ten each) and plyos. I'd tried to get our head coach to do BFS a few years ago because we did it at a school I was at in Indiana and it made a huge difference for us there, but he wouldn't. Now that we're doing it he wishes we'd have gone to it earlier. No one listens to me though :laugh: I've known a few coaches at other schools that don't like it, but they're a small minority. I know I've been impressed with it. If you want I can give you a bit more information on it.

Nomad
05-05-2008, 08:37 AM
Do your coaches just make you do four core lifts? Do they have you do supplemental work? At the school I coach at we do BFS (Bigger Faster Stronger). It's made a huge difference. We've got players making huge gains in their lifts. It's simple and if you get after it you can be done in a half hour or less. It revolves around six core lifts (box squat, regular squat, towel bench, power clean, regular bench, and dead lift) which you do once a week. They're split up so you do two a day. Every week you change how many reps you do and how much weight you put on. Then after the two core lifts scheduled that day you do I think five supplemental lifts (two sets of ten each) and plyos. I'd tried to get our head coach to do BFS a few years ago because we did it at a school I was at in Indiana and it made a huge difference for us there, but he wouldn't. Now that we're doing it he wishes we'd have gone to it earlier. No one listens to me though :laugh: Some people don't like it, but I've been impressed with it. If you want I can give you a bit more information on it.

Are these schedules mainly for your varsity squad or do you have the JV do the same workout or a lighter workout?

tripleoption
05-05-2008, 08:43 AM
We have the entire squad doing it. Whatever weight you do is based on the percentage of your max for that lift. A lot of our younger kids are working with some lighter weights, but they're still improving also. I tell them all, especially the younger less experienced ones, to do what they can handle and work on lifting form. Some of them tend to try to rush things and of course they see our older kids moving lots of weight and they want to try to do more, but I remind them it will do them no good to move up too fast and hurt themselves. We really encourage proper lifting technique with our kids, especially the younger ones. We have to remind them that our juniors and seniors were once young kids too :D.

KozmicKlown
05-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Do your coaches just make you do four core lifts? Do they have you do supplemental work? At the school I coach at we do BFS (Bigger Faster Stronger). It's made a huge difference. We've got players making huge gains in their lifts. It's simple and if you get after it you can be done in a half hour or less. It revolves around six core lifts (box squat, regular squat, towel bench, power clean, regular bench, and dead lift) which you do once a week. They're split up so you do two a day. Every week you change how many reps you do and how much weight you put on. Then after the two core lifts scheduled that day you do I think five supplemental lifts (two sets of ten each) and plyos. I'd tried to get our head coach to do BFS a few years ago because we did it at a school I was at in Indiana and it made a huge difference for us there, but he wouldn't. Now that we're doing it he wishes we'd have gone to it earlier. No one listens to me though :laugh: I've known a few coaches at other schools that don't like it, but they're a small minority. I know I've been impressed with it. If you want I can give you a bit more information on it.

I don't even know how their was a difference in types of squats. :confused:

I would love to know more, but Coaches enjoy the workout we have now. And, we make improvements 5-20 pounds every other week. Which is a big difference.

This is it.

Day 1-5x10
Day 2-1x10 & 5x8
Day 3-1x10 & 1x8 & 4x6...

Do you get the pattern. We do that until we hit 1x1. And that would be our max, then we start over again on a higher weight.

tripleoption
05-05-2008, 09:10 AM
Box squats are simply a variation of the squat. We use wooden boxes with a pad, although you could use a chair or bench. You squat down until you're sitting on the chair, bring your feet off the ground about an inch, then explode up. I like it, but you have to be careful. You have to stay in control on the way down and don't sit hard, as you don't want to compress the disks in your back. Anyways, since your coaches have you on a program, my advice to you is to do what they want you to do. Coaches all over the country have different philosophies and ideas on lifting and coaching, and it's not my place to tell you to do something different from what your coaches are having you do. Like the old saying goes, there are a lot of different ways to skin a cat.

HolyDiver
05-05-2008, 12:50 PM

There is nothing wrong with that routine..............I think most of your problem is.......is that you are too young. Not really too young to workout, but too young to expect huge gains like arnold Swartzenegger..............He was a genetic freak.

Rex
05-05-2008, 01:04 PM
There is nothing wrong with that routine..............I think most of your problem is.......is that you are too young. Not really too young to workout, but too young to expect huge gains like arnold Swartzenegger..............He was a genetic freak.

That and he mainlined anabolic steroids.

HolyDiver
05-05-2008, 01:21 PM
That and he mainlined anabolic steroids.

Yep, no way a 6'2'' guy could have a 60'' chest any other way.

KozmicKlown
05-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Thanks everyone for the help!:salute:

tripleoption
05-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Hey Kozmic, keep us updated on your progress over the summer and summer ball. :strongy:

KozmicKlown
05-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Hey Kozmic, keep us updated on your progress over the summer and summer ball. :strongy:

I will. I am not the strongest lifter. But, I am the third best freshman linemen. And, I can preform on the field. Our practice is starting a week after school get's out.:mad:

Tned
05-15-2022, 12:52 PM
OK, after a LONG time of new regular exercise, I'm trying to get back into a routine.

This morning, 20 minutes on elliptical followed by some resistance. Mostly tried to get a baseline weight for resistance as it's been so long, and just did 2 x 15 reps on about 10 different exercises.

Magnificent Seven
05-15-2022, 01:41 PM
ALL THINGS FITNESS!!!

Just skip breakfast.😃

Tned
05-15-2022, 01:50 PM
I've been intermittent fasting for a while now. Weekdays, typically eat dinner and maybe a snack just to make sure calories aren't too low. Weekends, eat lunch around 1 and then dinner and usually some snacks -popcorn or whatever

So basically doing 8\16 fasting on weekends and 2\22 fasting on weekdays.

Eddiemac87
05-15-2022, 03:17 PM
I've been intermittent fasting for a while now. Weekdays, typically eat dinner and maybe a snack just to make sure calories aren't too low. Weekends, eat lunch around 1 and then dinner and usually some snacks -popcorn or whatever

So basically doing 8\16 fasting on weekends and 2\22 fasting on weekdays.

Working the same thing….not as long a fast as you though.. it’s good…nice slow but consistent weight loss…

Tned
05-15-2022, 05:15 PM
Working the same thing….not as long a fast as you though.. it’s good…nice slow but consistent weight loss…

Yep, that's what I found. Ultimately, I'm restricting calories, but it doesn't feel the same as restricting them on a per meal basis.

Nomad
05-16-2022, 10:55 AM
Wow! WatchtheMiddle & tripleoption are names I have seen in many moons.

Nomad
05-16-2022, 10:58 AM
I haven’t PT’d in so long. I know I’ve gained too much weight in the last decade. I haven’t had a physical since 2011. I’m sure when I do, I’m gonna get an ear full. My wife is always on my case to go.

Davii
05-17-2022, 11:23 AM
I haven’t PT’d in so long. I know I’ve gained too much weight in the last decade. I haven’t had a physical since 2011. I’m sure when I do, I’m gonna get an ear full. My wife is always on my case to go.

Do it. Ignoring it makes it worse in the long run. Would you ignore oil changes and routine maintenance on your car?

Tned
05-17-2022, 08:34 PM
Would you ignore oil changes and routine maintenance on your car?

Well, ummmm...

Nomad
05-21-2022, 10:36 AM
Do it. Ignoring it makes it worse in the long run. Would you ignore oil changes and routine maintenance on your car?

Yes. You’re so correct. I made a physical appt in June. I hope it’s a fine female doctor. :D

Tned
05-21-2022, 11:52 AM
Yes. You’re so correct. I made a physical appt in June. I hope it’s a fine female doctor. :D

I switched to a new doctor during the pandemic, and I've seen her twice and have yet to see anything but her eyes.

Davii
05-22-2022, 06:43 PM

Seems like it’d be awesome but having a female doctor juggle my nuts around while discussing my upcoming vasectomy was actually pretty uncomfortable. I was concerned about possible arousal

Tned
07-07-2022, 08:23 PM
Wife was out of town today at a funeral in Mississippi, so I got home from work and got on the elliptical for 30 minutes while talking to my father on the phone and when I got off and I wasn't that hungry and didn't have my wife here making dinner (she'll be home any time now, but sure she ate on the road), so decided to just continue my fast.

Will be the first time I've gone more than 24 hours. Ate dinner around 5:30 yesterday, so will go to bed soon, and then either break my fast with breakfast (36 hours) or lunch (41 hours).

It's really amazing how once you get used to intermittent fasting, extending it a bit is really not that hard.

Tned
07-09-2022, 05:45 PM
Wound up skipping breakfast the second day but then had lunch, so it was pretty close to a 42 hour fast. Crazy thing is on the second day, I wasn't even hungry. I could have easily gone until dinner and made it a fully 48 hours.

I might do that once or twice a month in addition to my normal intermitted fasting.

Canmore
07-09-2022, 07:19 PM
Must say...impressive. Good for you.

Tned
07-09-2022, 07:56 PM
Must say...impressive. Good for you.

Long way to go, but it's really been working for me.

Canmore
07-09-2022, 09:04 PM
Intermittent fasting helped me. I still do it.

Tned
07-10-2022, 11:25 AM
Intermittent fasting helped me. I still do it.

I started it pre-covid and had done really well. Fell into it not only because a buddy and a few others were doing it, but also because with my work load, 3 or 4 days out of five I was on zooms with Europe when the guys I normally go to lunch, go to lunch.

Was doing really well, lost weight and felt better, and then for a year I worked from home, and more times than not, when my wife texted and said, "do you want lunch?", I said yes.

While when I went back to work, I was almost never going to lunch (afor mentioned zooms), I did get in the habit of having some oatmeal or the like in the morning, but over the last 12+ months, I've gotten back into the mode. At this point, I plan to make it a way of life. Might start going to lunch with come co-workers 1-2 days a week (more for comradery than food), and fast the others.

Tned
08-29-2022, 07:58 AM
Man, Covid kind of threw me for a loop. I've been basically flat on weight loss for a month. I've had very little energy, and blood tests show I'm a little anemic. I'm still fasting, but eating a bit more than usual, as I've had lunch about half the days, or more, which isn't my normal pattern. Only been on elliptical a handful of times in last month.

I'm about 18 months in to deciding enough was enough, and I've lost 60% of my goal (although now I think when I hit that, I might go for a bit more). So, in the grand scheme of things losing a month isn't too bad and I've been looking at this as a long-term journey to getting healthy, but I need to either get energy back or figure out how to push through with no energy.

SR
08-29-2022, 09:46 AM
Seems like it’d be awesome but having a female doctor juggle my nuts around while discussing my upcoming vasectomy was actually pretty uncomfortable. I was concerned about possible arousal

This.

The doc that did my vasectomy was a dude. We were talking about fantasy football while he was cutting a hole in my satchel. I had so much valium in me at that time, it wouldn't have mattered though.

Davii
08-29-2022, 11:36 AM
This belongs in the things that suck thread but since we’re discussing preventive medicine I’ll be having a colonoscopy Wednesday. Ugh

GEM
08-29-2022, 11:42 AM
Man, Covid kind of threw me for a loop. I've been basically flat on weight loss for a month. I've had very little energy, and blood tests show I'm a little anemic. I'm still fasting, but eating a bit more than usual, as I've had lunch about half the days, or more, which isn't my normal pattern. Only been on elliptical a handful of times in last month.

I'm about 18 months in to deciding enough was enough, and I've lost 60% of my goal (although now I think when I hit that, I might go for a bit more). So, in the grand scheme of things losing a month isn't too bad and I've been looking at this as a long-term journey to getting healthy, but I need to either get energy back or figure out how to push through with no energy.

Covid really slowed me down as well. But back on track. Down 54 as of this morning.

I do the 16:8 fast 7 days a week, walk/run 4-5 miles a night and at 3 workouts a week. I eat a high protein diet. I am pretty proud of myself. I dropped my blood pressure from being stage 2 down to normal range. Dropped my diabetes indicator down to 4.7. My blood work came back spectacular last week. Now it's toning time!!

Davii
08-29-2022, 12:12 PM
Covid really slowed me down as well. But back on track. Down 54 as of this morning.

I do the 16:8 fast 7 days a week, walk/run 4-5 miles a night and at 3 workouts a week. I eat a high protein diet. I am pretty proud of myself. I dropped my blood pressure from being stage 2 down to normal range. Dropped my diabetes indicator down to 4.7. My blood work came back spectacular last week. Now it's toning time!!

Check out this badass!!!!

SR
08-29-2022, 12:37 PM

Wow! That's incredible!

GEM
08-29-2022, 12:42 PM

That's lunch with a protein shake. I used the Sara Lee 45 cal/slice bread, chicken and avocado. 617 calories. I keep calories between 1200-1400 daily.

GEM
08-29-2022, 12:48 PM
Check out this badass!!!!

Wow! That's incredible!

Thanks guys! :) I am stoked with the changes!

Canmore
08-29-2022, 01:34 PM

Wonderful...really Awesome!

Tned
08-29-2022, 01:45 PM
This belongs in the things that suck thread but since we’re discussing preventive medicine I’ll be having a colonoscopy Wednesday. Ugh

Yea, those are fun. Hopefully no polyps or anything that makes a frequent return visit necessary.

Tned
08-29-2022, 01:53 PM

Awesome!!! Don't have the exercise as down pat as yours, but can relate to some of the others. I'm down 72lbs, 19lb last year and the rest this year (would have been more, but fell off the wagon the last 6 weeks or so last year over the holidays). As I've lost, been battling low blood pressure, so we've been lowering my ACE inhibitor (BP med) to the point where two weeks ago we just stopped it completely, and I've only had one reading over 120/80. 4.7 on your A1C is great. I'm 5.3, down from 5.5.

Pre Covid, I was doing what I guess you can call a 23/1 four to five days a week, and on the weekends, and maybe once a week, a 16:8. Now, it's more like 2-3 days of 23:1 and the rest 16:8. Going to try and exercise on elliptical tonight.

Given up any weight training until I find out if I'm having neck/back surgery and talk to the surgeon next week. Was feeling pain with too many exercises and figured I needed to be cautious.

Unfortunately, I still have a LONG way to go before I'm in toning territory, but hoping since I've been on this journey for well over a year, that it's approaching long-term lifestyle change and hopefully I don't revert.

Tned
08-29-2022, 01:54 PM

That's lunch with a protein shake. I used the Sara Lee 45 cal/slice bread, chicken and avocado. 617 calories. I keep calories between 1200-1400 daily.

That Sara Lee bread is awesome. That's what my wife buys.

Tned
08-29-2022, 01:59 PM
P.S. What's really a bummer is that prior to Covid I was feeling awesome. The week before, when I was last in Europe (and must have caught it), my buddy and I walked 31+ miles. 10 miles the first three days we were in the Uk, and then at the end of the trip, we had a day and a half in Scottland, and pretty much did nothing but walk, drink, walk, drink, walk, eat, walk, drink. We were in Edinburgh and walked 21 miles from when we hit the hotel around 3:00 PM on Thursday, until getting back to the hotel at about 2am Friday night/Saturday morning. We only had one meeting, which we walked a mile or so each way (in suits) and had some rare downtime where we were just sight seeing.

GEM
08-29-2022, 02:12 PM
That Sara Lee bread is awesome. That's what my wife buys.

It is really good! Doesn't taste much different than regular bread!

Congrats on your numbers, you are doing fantastic! :D

GEM
08-29-2022, 02:14 PM
P.S. What's really a bummer is that prior to Covid I was feeling awesome. The week before, when I was last in Europe (and must have caught it), my buddy and I walked 31+ miles. 10 miles the first three days we were in the Uk, and then at the end of the trip, we had a day and a half in Scottland, and pretty much did nothing but walk, drink, walk, drink, walk, eat, walk, drink. We were in Edinburgh and walked 21 miles from when we hit the hotel around 3:00 PM on Thursday, until getting back to the hotel at about 2am Friday night/Saturday morning. We only had one meeting, which we walked a mile or so each way (in suits) and had some rare downtime where we were just sight seeing.

So tired of the covid crap! Just really tired of it!

MasterShake
08-29-2022, 04:37 PM

When I caught COVID last Spring, I would've never known if my wife hadn't insisted I test because our whole house got it. The only indication I had it was that I was VERY tired and started getting the brain fog. Even after it passed, I was still low energy and foggy. My wife takes Low Dose Naltrexone as a supplement (LDN) for pain and energy boosts and I went ahead and gave it a shot. Stuff works pretty good! Definitely perked me up and got my energy levels back. When I plan I drinking though I skip it because it REALLY hampers your receptors for things like drugs and alcohol which was it's original indication for prescription.

Your story about Edinburgh reminds me of when my son and I went to Chicago a few summers ago. I didn't want to rent a car and my wife stayed home so we got to walk everywhere and it was glorious! Walking is a great exercise. One night we walked from Wrigley Field after catching a game all the way back to our Hotel in Lincoln Park. I lost like 6 pounds that week! lol

Hawgdriver
08-29-2022, 06:14 PM
I still have no idea if I've ever had COVID or not. It's circled through my house twice now.

Davii
08-29-2022, 06:59 PM
I still have no idea if I've ever had COVID or not. It's circled through my house twice now.

You’ve had it then, just didn’t have the aggressive immune response most have

Hawgdriver
08-29-2022, 07:45 PM
You’ve had it then, just didn’t have the aggressive immune response most have

Is that good?

I feel like my VO2 max ain't what it once was, that's why I think I've had it. But then maybe that's just bc I'm not training as hard as I used to.

MasterShake
08-29-2022, 09:31 PM
Is that good?

I feel like my VO2 max ain't what it once was, that's why I think I've had it. But then maybe that's just bc I'm not training as hard as I used to.

If you got the vaccine and had little to no side effects, odds are you’ve had it and don’t know maybe? Even the second dose of Pfizer gave me no issues and then ACTUAL COVID felt like nothing. Though my 5g coverage is through the roof after the booster!

Hawgdriver
08-29-2022, 10:37 PM
Though my 5g coverage is through the roof after the booster!

XD

I think maybe we are the dudes that King was writing about in The Stand?

Can I have dibs on Molly Ringwald?

Davii
08-29-2022, 10:52 PM
XD

I think maybe we are the dudes that King was writing about in The Stand?

Can I have dibs on Molly Ringwald?

So hot, want to touch the hiney. Not as much as Gem’s newly toned hiney though!

SR
08-30-2022, 01:23 PM

Right there with you. My wife had it in January and my oldest son had it in May, but to my knowledge I've never had it.

Tned
08-30-2022, 05:50 PM
Right there with you. My wife had it in January and my oldest son had it in May, but to my knowledge I've never had it.

I was surrounded by it, not in my house, but on trips/events I took, people I traveled with, multiple times and each time after those VERY close contacts, I tested, and never got it. Last month, when not actually in contact with anyone I know that had it, but while traveling, I came down with it, but was symptomatic (mild cold symptoms).

GEM
08-31-2022, 01:47 PM
I was surrounded by it, not in my house, but on trips/events I took, people I traveled with, multiple times and each time after those VERY close contacts, I tested, and never got it. Last month, when not actually in contact with anyone I know that had it, but while traveling, I came down with it, but was symptomatic (mild cold symptoms).

This is how weird the ish is.

I share a house with my oldest son, separate living quarters. We all went up to Evergreen one Saturday for lunch. Monday, his baby comes up with a 103 temp, they take her to the hospital, she tests positive. I tell my boss that someone in the house tested positive, I need to quarantine. I quarantine in my area of the house, no contact. 5 days later, I test positive.

My nephew tested positive a week and a half ago. My sister, her hubby and my nephew live in an apartment, smaller quarters than my house, my sister and her hubby never tested positive and my nephew now testing negative.

It's weird.

SR
08-31-2022, 01:50 PM

Seems to be a pretty common occurrence.

Tned
08-31-2022, 04:16 PM
This is how weird the ish is.

I share a house with my oldest son, separate living quarters. We all went up to Evergreen one Saturday for lunch. Monday, his baby comes up with a 103 temp, they take her to the hospital, she tests positive. I tell my boss that someone in the house tested positive, I need to quarantine. I quarantine in my area of the house, no contact. 5 days later, I test positive.

My nephew tested positive a week and a half ago. My sister, her hubby and my nephew live in an apartment, smaller quarters than my house, my sister and her hubby never tested positive and my nephew now testing negative.

It's weird.

Was the testing positive this go around, or when you had it before?

My BIL just had something similar. He has four kids, including twin girls (8 ish I think), and his parents living in an apartment in a detached garage. One of the twin girls test positive, and the 70 something grand parents or my BIL, his wife and other three kids, all remain negative. She was around her grand parents the day she tested positive.

Tned
08-31-2022, 04:21 PM
Well, not the progress I like, but the travel and Covid curtailed my progress (need to get back to exercising regularly, but hit elliptical for a couple days, and then am wiped for a week). Lost 3.5 lbs in July and 7lbs in August. A bit deceptive, as late July I put on a few pounds right after my trip to Europe and when I had Covid last week of July (tend to eat bad when I feel bad). So, without that lost ground at the end of July, would have been more like 6 lbs July/4lbs August, so still moving in right direction, but a slow two months between beer/scotch when in Europe, and slacking off the last five weeks.

Canmore
08-31-2022, 07:41 PM
Well, not the progress I like, but the travel and Covid curtailed my progress (need to get back to exercising regularly, but hit elliptical for a couple days, and then am wiped for a week). Lost 3.5 lbs in July and 7lbs in August. A bit deceptive, as late July I put on a few pounds right after my trip to Europe and when I had Covid last week of July (tend to eat bad when I feel bad). So, without that lost ground at the end of July, would have been more like 6 lbs July/4lbs August, so still moving in right direction, but a slow two months between beer/scotch when in Europe, and slacking off the last five weeks.

Positive results.

GEM
08-31-2022, 09:48 PM
Was the testing positive this go around, or when you had it before?

My BIL just had something similar. He has four kids, including twin girls (8 ish I think), and his parents living in an apartment in a detached garage. One of the twin girls test positive, and the 70 something grand parents or my BIL, his wife and other three kids, all remain negative. She was around her grand parents the day she tested positive.

I stayed negative this go around!

GEM
08-31-2022, 09:53 PM
Did an 8 mile bike ride tonight, it kicked my ass. Rode from around 76th & Sheridan down to like i76 & Washington and back home. Sketchy bike path. Hit 600 cal burn. Ate a turkey taco salad for lunch. Some chicken and veggies for dinner. Cal intake 1100. Good day overall.

Rough morning pissed me off. Had a moochin sob lady slam on her brakes trying to get herself an insurance payout. Slammed on my brakes to avoid her, hit the curb and popped the tire. AWD so a nice $700 set of tires. Luckily didn't bend the rim, but will probably need an alignment. She's friggen lucky i couldn't pull her out of her car. :pissed:

Hawgdriver
08-31-2022, 10:13 PM
She's friggen lucky i couldn't pull her out of her car. :pissed:

See this is why we click.

GEM
09-01-2022, 12:16 AM
See this is why we click.

Literally, would have beat her ass and happily taken the assault charge smiling in the booking pic! :lol:

Hawgdriver
09-01-2022, 01:28 AM
Literally, would have beat her ass and happily taken the assault charge smiling in the booking pic! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Ah shit. Little things like this help out. I'm stoked you are crushing life, GEM.

Davii
09-01-2022, 09:31 AM
My typical daily intake when I am able to use my kitchen (hopefully the reno is done soon!) and I'm trying to cut weight:

Lunch @ ~1 total of 473 calories
Omelette with the following:
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 1/4 cup bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup baby spinach
- 1 oz Ghost Pepper Coby Jack cheese
- 1/2 tbsp Avocado oil to cook in
- 3 pieces bacon

Dinner @ ~7 pm 580 calories
Fajitas with the following:
- 4 oz chicken
- 2 carb balance wheat tortillas
- 1 serving of guacamole
- 1 oz Ghost Pepper Colby Jack shredded
- 1/2 cup onion sliced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 small avocado on the side

Dessert ~ 9pm: Quest peanut butter cookie, 250 cals - daily total 1,253 cals

SR
09-01-2022, 12:59 PM
I don't count calories like that any more. I used to back in the day but I don't really care to anymore.

SR
09-06-2022, 01:38 PM
Davii, I just want to publicly thank you for forcing my hand and making me buy that Tonal machine.

Tned
09-06-2022, 01:48 PM
Davii, I just want to publicly thank you for forcing my hand and making me buy that Tonal machine.

I've looked, and they look damn nice.

SR
09-06-2022, 01:54 PM
I've looked, and they look damn nice.

Well, I was very resistant to the idea at first because I loved lifting free weights. This all started because I was sending Davii garage gyms I was building on Rogue's website. He basically said, "look bro, you're getting old, you can't lift like that forever, this is better". So, I bought it. A couple months after I bought it, I ****** up my elbow getting my Christmas tree out of my attic, so I was shelved for a while. BUT, while I was using it last year, I didn't much care for it. I still don't care for a lot of the "ra ra" program type stuff on there because I still just want to lift. I've found my happy place on it though and have been back at it for the last five weeks. I'll probably go back into a program on it when I get back from Denver in a week and a half, but for now I've just been doing my "custom" workout program and I'm enjoying it.

Tned
09-06-2022, 02:35 PM
Well, I was very resistant to the idea at first because I loved lifting free weights. This all started because I was sending Davii garage gyms I was building on Rogue's website. He basically said, "look bro, you're getting old, you can't lift like that forever, this is better". So, I bought it. A couple months after I bought it, I ****** up my elbow getting my Christmas tree out of my attic, so I was shelved for a while. BUT, while I was using it last year, I didn't much care for it. I still don't care for a lot of the "ra ra" program type stuff on there because I still just want to lift. I've found my happy place on it though and have been back at it for the last five weeks. I'll probably go back into a program on it when I get back from Denver in a week and a half, but for now I've just been doing my "custom" workout program and I'm enjoying it.

When I built my house, I put in a universal type home gym (cable/stack, etc.), but really wish I hadn't and Tonal was around. Having trouble convincing my wife to get a Tonal when we have the home gym universal system.

SR
09-07-2022, 08:29 AM
When I built my house, I put in a universal type home gym (cable/stack, etc.), but really wish I hadn't and Tonal was around. Having trouble convincing my wife to get a Tonal when we have the home gym universal system.

You could always sell the home gym stuff you have now, no?

Tned
09-07-2022, 08:33 AM
You could always sell the home gym stuff you have now, no?

In theory. Bear of a tear down\move, and I'm rural, so often not the same market for certain things as in cities.

SR
09-07-2022, 08:51 AM
In theory. Bear of a tear down\move, and I'm rural, so often not the same market for certain things as in cities.

Understandable. Ask for forgiveness and not permission? Suprise her with a new poodle? :)

Tned
09-07-2022, 08:58 AM
Understandable. Ask for forgiveness and not permission? Suprise her with a new poodle? :)

:laugh:.

SR
09-07-2022, 08:59 AM
Worth a try. :)

GEM
09-18-2022, 01:53 PM

Set out this20817 morning to push my normal 4-5 mile walk/run out to 6-7. Ended the morning at 9 miles, 21k steps and 1300+ calories burned. Broke the plateau I've been at. My muscle density is climbing, but it's affected lbs lost so that has been really getting to me. This was AWESOME!!!

Tned
09-18-2022, 04:00 PM
Nicely done!

GEM
10-01-2022, 11:37 PM

Kicked my ass tonight. Walked about 4 miles today out with the fam, walked another 8.2 tonight. Did an arm workout the last mile tonight as i walked. Down 70 today. :rockon:

Tned
10-02-2022, 08:16 AM
Man, you are killing it with the exercise. That is so great.

I'm not exercising as much as I should, but have been consistent with my intermittent fasting. Covid kicked my butt, and August which is when I got completely off the exercise, not quite as diligent with fasting, I lost 6 lbs, but I got fully back on track with fasting routine in September and slowly reintroduced time on elliptical, and lost just over 10 lbs. Been pretty steady with 6-12lbs of loss each month, but I'm trying to get more exercise consistency.

GEM
10-03-2022, 11:03 PM
Stepped out of my comfort zone tonight and joined a gym. First night went pretty well. Yay!!

Tned
10-04-2022, 07:41 AM
Stepped out of my comfort zone tonight and joined a gym. First night went pretty well. Yay!!

Good for you. Definitely not in my comfort zone.

Bronco9798
10-04-2022, 11:08 AM

Good for you! Make it part of your life style forever. Being fit is a lifestyle change. It's not about diets, fasting and fads. Just exercise, eat good, and be very consistent. It's easier than most people think!! Keep up the good work.