PDA

View Full Version : Longreads

Hawgdriver
05-13-2020, 11:43 AM
Buff turned me on to Sandworm and it was a good book. It was written by Andy Greenberg, an editor at Wired magazine.

Here's a longread from yesterday written by Andy. I have only begun to read it, but it's got a great hook and I want to come back to it.

The Confessions of Marcus Hutchins, the Hacker Who Saved the Internet
At 22, he single-handedly put a stop to the worst cyberattack the world had ever seen. Then he was arrested by the FBI. This is his untold story.

https://www.wired.com/story/confessions-marcus-hutchins-hacker-who-saved-the-internet/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Hawgdriver
05-13-2020, 12:28 PM
Well, hell, I ended up just reading it.

Question for Davii--but I need you to skim this section:

But just then, an IT administrator came into the room and told the staff that something more unusual was going on: A virus seemed to be spreading across the hospital's network. One of the PCs in the room had rebooted, and now Jones could see that it showed a red screen with a lock in the upper left corner. “Ooops, your files have been encrypted!” it read. At the bottom of the screen, it demanded a $300 payment in bitcoin to unlock the machine.

Jones had no time to puzzle over the message before he was called back into the surgical theater. He scrubbed, put on his mask and gloves, and reentered the operating room, where surgeons were just finishing an orthopedic procedure. Now it was Jones' job to wake the patient up again. He began to slowly turn a dial that tapered off the sevoflurane vapor feeding into the patient's lungs, trying to time the process exactly so that the patient wouldn't wake up before he'd had a chance to remove the breathing tube, but wouldn't stay out long enough to delay their next surgery.

As he focused on that task, he could hear the surgeons and nurses expressing dismay as they tried to record notes on the surgery's outcome: The operating room's desktop PC seemed to be dead.

How does Intuitive hack-proof devices?

Hawgdriver
05-13-2020, 12:55 PM
Just finished. Wow.

Dapper Dan
05-13-2020, 01:37 PM
Buff turned me on ..

Same

Tned
05-13-2020, 01:57 PM
Same

While I fully get how you and Hawg could get turned on by Buff, I'm still trying to figure out what the hell a longread is.

Hawg??

MOtorboat
05-13-2020, 02:37 PM
While I fully get how you and Hawg could get turned on by Buff, I'm still trying to figure out what the hell a longread is.

Hawg??

Literally a long read. A long form piece, whether it be an essay, a feature, an explainer, etc.

Dapper Dan
05-13-2020, 02:43 PM
Literally a long read. A long form piece, whether it be an essay, a feature, an explainer, etc.

A Joel?

Tned
05-13-2020, 03:00 PM

OK, not like a really long book (war and peace, anything written by Clavell, etc.), but instead a long article, essay, etc. So, a short book or long essay, kind of thing.

MOtorboat
A Joel?

Yeah. Kind of. Without the circular logic, hopefully.

Tned
A Joel?

In my younger days, it also could have been a Tned, but with age, the third thing to go was my verbosity.

MOtorboat
OK, not like a really long book (war and peace, anything written by Clavell, etc.), but instead a long article, essay, etc. So, a short book or long essay, kind of thing.

On the nonfiction side. Usually of a journalistic nature.

aberdien
05-15-2020, 05:38 PM
This website has a collection of long reads.

https://longform.org/best