PDA

View Full Version : NFL draft to go on in April; Roger Goodell memo warns against public comment

Denver Native (Carol)
03-27-2020, 11:28 AM
The NFL draft will go on as scheduled April 23-25, commissioner Roger Goodell said in a leaguewide memo distributed Thursday.

In his memo, obtained by ESPN's Adam Schefter, Goodell served warning to those around the league who criticize the league's stance.

He wrote in the memo, "public discussion of issues relating to the Draft serves no useful purpose and is grounds for disciplinary action."

rest - https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28960090/nfl-draft-go-scheduled-april-23-25-roger-goodell-memo-says

chazoe60
03-27-2020, 11:39 AM
They can do the draft remotely. It's the freaking NFL they have more money and tech than God, they can figure out a way to hold the draft and not have any groups of 10 or more people. Conference calls, Skype all that shit works.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-27-2020, 11:43 AM
They can do the draft remotely. It's the freaking NFL they have more money and tech than God, they can figure out a way to hold the draft and not have any groups of 10 or more people. Conference calls, Skype all that shit works.

SHHH - From article - "He wrote in the memo, "public discussion of issues relating to the Draft serves no useful purpose and is grounds for disciplinary action."

::eek: :D :lol:

Hawgdriver
03-27-2020, 11:47 AM
SHHH - From article - "He wrote in the memo, "public discussion of issues relating to the Draft serves no useful purpose and is grounds for disciplinary action."

::eek: :D :lol:

Kind of iron-fisted, huh? The guy might have a touch of the control freak in him.

Krugan
03-27-2020, 01:19 PM
Kind of iron-fisted, huh? The guy might have a touch of the control freak in him.

Not really. Stating clearly that it needs to not be talked about and enforcing it isn't iron fisted at all.

rules, just follow em

MOtorboat
03-27-2020, 01:48 PM

I agree with you, but GMs aren’t worried about that part. They’re worried about having no in-person contact with prospects for two months before the draft. This is when personal workouts are happening and such, and they’ve ordered those to cease for the time being.

chazoe60
03-27-2020, 01:51 PM
I agree with you, but GMs aren’t worried about that part. They’re worried about having no in-person contact with prospects for two months before the draft. This is when personal workouts are happening and such, and they’ve ordered those to cease for the time being.

Gotcha. Guess they'll have to evaluate by watching tape of them actually playing the game of football. As far as interviews, Skype that shit.

MOtorboat
03-27-2020, 01:59 PM
Gotcha. Guess they'll have to evaluate by watching tape of them actually playing the game of football. As far as interviews, Skype that shit.

Yeah. And I think they’ll be fine. I’d almost rather my scouts spend more time watching how they play, how they interact on film, asking how college coaches how they respond to scheme, etc., instead of the personal workouts. But teams love them some personal workouts and combines.

BroncoWave
03-27-2020, 02:07 PM
Yeah. And I think they’ll be fine. I’d almost rather my scouts spend more time watching how they play, how they interact on film, asking how college coaches how they respond to scheme, etc., instead of the personal workouts. But teams love them some personal workouts and combines.

The one thing that will be tough is with players like Tua coming off injuries. Not being able to examine those players will make some of those picks a bit riskier.

MOtorboat
03-27-2020, 02:15 PM
The one thing that will be tough is with players like Tua coming off injuries. Not being able to examine those players will make some of those picks a bit riskier.

Not even having pro days may be the hardest part. I don’t think any of those happened.

BroncoWave
03-27-2020, 02:18 PM
Not even having pro days may be the hardest part. I don’t think any of those happened.

I think we'll see a lot more hidden gems fall through the cracks this year. Could be a lot of value in later picks/UDFAs. Especially with guys who maybe have injury concerns and are now healthy.

UnderArmour
03-27-2020, 02:29 PM
I think we'll see a lot more hidden gems fall through the cracks this year. Could be a lot of value in later picks/UDFAs. Especially with guys who maybe have injury concerns and are now healthy.

You know, I actually might anticipate less gems fall through the cracks. Too often GMs and coaches fall in love with players on the trail, too focused on personality and less on tape. I think this year's draft is going to be more about game film, and less about the job interview portion. Whether or not that will be a good thing for team dynamics remains to be seen, but I expect productive players to immediately go up in value compared to "character guys" this go around.

The NFL is absolutely right to tell its employees to "shut up" because it already passed the point of no return when it held free agency on time. The NFLPA is asking Goodell to be the bad guy here, and he's doing it. Delaying the draft serves no purpose because the economic and travel climate is only going to get worse, not better. The sooner the draftees can sort out their living situations in their new cities, the better for having any semblance of team activities. With states like Texas already passing mandatory quarantines for people who have been to X region of the country, I wouldn't be shocked if the entire nation went to some sort of feudalistic travel restrictions until there is a vaccine. How will sports leagues operate? It remains to be seen.

Elevation inc
03-27-2020, 02:35 PM

https://walterfootball.com/proday.php

before shit hit the fan

Jsteve01
03-27-2020, 02:46 PM
The medical is the biggest concern. You drafting Tua if your team can't evaluate his hip?

BroncoWave
03-27-2020, 02:52 PM
The medical is the biggest concern. You drafting Tua if your team can't evaluate his hip?

Someone like tua has enough upside that someone will still probably roll the dice early. But if you look at a mid round talent with injury concerns, guys like that could really slip into the later rounds or undrafted.

Simple Jaded
03-27-2020, 03:34 PM
They’re going to punish people for talking about the draft publicly?

Denver Native (Carol)
03-27-2020, 03:46 PM

Stephen A. reacts to Tua Tagovailoa’s short workout video | Mel Kiper Mock Draft 3.0 | First Take
workout video on - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIU07GxvfeQ

Hawgdriver
03-27-2020, 07:09 PM
Not really. Stating clearly that it needs to not be talked about and enforcing it isn't iron fisted at all.

rules, just follow em

Absolutely. It was tongue in cheek.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-27-2020, 10:01 PM
They’re going to punish people for talking about the draft publicly?

I think the intent was that Goodell didn’t want anyone out there (owners and their employees) shit-talking the NFL’s decision that the draft was to go on as scheduled regardless of the pandemic. No GMs, coaches, scouts, etc should be bitching to the media about not having a chance for one on one workouts, or that doing it now is wrong, or it should be delayed and so on. Goodell knows that holding the draft without all the workouts and face to face interviews is unpopular with the teams’ FOs but the NFLPA wants it so he’s basically telling the teams to shut up and not complain about it. That’s what I got out of it.

OrangeHoof
03-27-2020, 10:05 PM
"He wrote in the memo, "public discussion of issues relating to the Draft serves no useful purpose and is grounds for disciplinary action."

Much like their stance on crappy officiating.

OrangeHoof
03-27-2020, 10:08 PM

If anything, they're overanalyzed now. Somehow, with all their in-depth scouting, the combine, public workouts, etc., a guy like Paxton Lynch still makes the first round. Just sayin'.

Hawgdriver
03-27-2020, 10:09 PM
"He wrote in the memo, "public discussion of issues relating to the Draft serves no useful purpose and is grounds for disciplinary action."

Much like their stance on crappy officiating.

It's brand management and smart advice for players who make money from the brand.

Jsteve01
03-28-2020, 12:13 AM
Someone like tua has enough upside that someone will still probably roll the dice early. But if you look at a mid round talent with injury concerns, guys like that could really slip into the later rounds or undrafted.
But it still could cost him. Love and Herbert have the physical talent that could entice a team to look harder at Tua and his injury history. Bo Jacksoncs hip looms large.

Elevation inc
03-28-2020, 11:10 AM
If anything, they're overanalyzed now. Somehow, with all their in-depth scouting, the combine, public workouts, etc., a guy like Paxton Lynch still makes the first round. Just sayin'.

your not wrong Im glad they are doing this.....I was already a big fan of the coaches staying back to watch actual gametape instead of worrying about other dumb shit.....Now teams will actually have to study how a guy plays and you can still interview over the phone if needed. Its not hard...companies do it all the time......

Nomad
03-28-2020, 01:29 PM
I think the intent was that Goodell didn’t want anyone out there (owners and their employees) shit-talking the NFL’s decision that the draft was to go on as scheduled regardless of the pandemic. No GMs, coaches, scouts, etc should be bitching to the media about not having a chance for one on one workouts, or that doing it now is wrong, or it should be delayed and so on. Goodell knows that holding the draft without all the workouts and face to face interviews is unpopular with the teams’ FOs but the NFLPA wants it so he’s basically telling the teams to shut up and not complain about it. That’s what I got out of it.

That's the context of it.

BroncoWave
03-28-2020, 01:35 PM
But it still could cost him. Love and Herbert have the physical talent that could entice a team to look harder at Tua and his injury history. Bo Jacksoncs hip looms large.

I still think Tua will be the second QB off the board. I just don't think Love or Herbert are close enough to him as prospects for the injury to make the difference.

Simple Jaded
03-28-2020, 02:18 PM

So ... yes?