PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Bryant Dies in Helicopter Crash ... Everyone On Board Dead

Denver Native (Carol)
01-26-2020, 02:41 PM
Kobe Bryant died in a helicoper crash in Calabasas Sunday morning ... TMZ Sports has confirmed.

Kobe was traveling with at least 3 other people in his private helicopter when it went down. A fire broke out. Emergency personnel responded, but nobody on board survived. 5 people are confirmed dead. We're told Vanessa Bryant was not among those on board.

The cause of the crash is under investigation.

Kobe has famously used a helicopter to travel for years -- dating back to when he played for the Lakers. He was known for commuting from Newport Beach, CA to the STAPLES Center in DTLA in his Sikorsky S-76 chopper.

rest - https://www.tmz.com/2020/01/26/kobe-bryant-killed-dead-helicopter-crash-in-calabasas/

RIP Kobe

Simple Jaded
01-26-2020, 02:42 PM
Holy shit

ShaneFalco
01-26-2020, 02:45 PM
no way

WTE
01-26-2020, 02:53 PM
This is shocking.

Northman
01-26-2020, 02:54 PM
Who would have thought so many others would have outlived him. Sucks. RIP Kobe.

Shazam!
01-26-2020, 02:54 PM
Wow. Just wow. Im shocked.

Poet
01-26-2020, 02:56 PM
Good night, sweet prince.

ShaneFalco
01-26-2020, 03:00 PM
this sucks. I loved kobe

Shazam!
01-26-2020, 03:08 PM
Wht an awful way to go too. Poor guy.

BroncoJoe
01-26-2020, 03:10 PM
Wow. Prayers for his family. What a shame.

Nomad
01-26-2020, 03:11 PM
I am shocked. RIP Kobe. Thanks for the memories as one of the greatest to play.

Canmore
01-26-2020, 03:11 PM
Rip Kobe.

Nomad
01-26-2020, 03:26 PM
Someone said other passengers were his 4 children. That's terrible. My heart is broken for the Bryant family.

BroncoWave
01-26-2020, 03:30 PM
Someone said other passengers were his 4 children. That's terrible. My heart is broken for the Bryant family.

It's looking like that's not the case. All other reports saying his family wasn't on board.

Magnificent Seven
01-26-2020, 03:30 PM
One of greatest Los Angeles Lakers of all time. Much respect and love.

tomjonesrocks
01-26-2020, 03:39 PM
It's looking like that's not the case. All other reports saying his family wasn't on board.

Mixed reports for sure on this. ABC was one to report the kids were aboard. Shocking story.

ShaneFalco
01-26-2020, 03:47 PM
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1221534631637307393

ShaneFalco
01-26-2020, 03:50 PM
https://twitter.com/KarenCivil/status/1221535050405220355

Denver Native (Carol)
01-26-2020, 04:58 PM
Video: Raptors, Spurs start game with amazing tribute to Kobe Bryant

https://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/raptors-spurs-kobe-bryant-tribute-24-second-violation/535204

Northman
01-26-2020, 05:32 PM
MSNBC full of some racist mofos....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWoLyxRl_2Q&fbclid=IwAR2w2L3TnK0wPQ7W_RWj-pzHOy90866u1GdqjLkxcRfxUq7lY-qCEwwJiXw&app=desktop

Nomad
01-26-2020, 05:35 PM
WoW! :shocked:

MOtorboat
01-26-2020, 05:42 PM
Very sad. Now they’re saying nine people were on board.

wayninja
01-26-2020, 06:35 PM
9 people? I know nothing about helicopters, but that seems like a lot, right?

MOtorboat
01-26-2020, 06:37 PM
9 people? I know nothing about helicopters, but that seems like a lot, right?

Sheriff said they had nine on the manifest. But yes, seems a lot.

Dapper Dan
01-26-2020, 07:03 PM
Unreal

OrangeHoof
01-26-2020, 07:12 PM
When something like this happens, I always wonder about the other victims. Like with Payne Stewart. A famous golfer died but there were others on board. The media will spend 99.9% of their time remembering and eulogizing the celebrity and completely ignoring anyone else who was aboard. They all met their Maker the same day. It's like dying as an asterisk.

Nomad
01-26-2020, 07:12 PM
It says an S-76 helicopter can seat up to 12 passengers.

BroncoWave
01-26-2020, 07:16 PM
When something like this happens, I always wonder about the other victims. Like with Payne Stewart. A famous golfer died but there were others on board. The media will spend 99.9% of their time remembering and eulogizing the celebrity and completely ignoring anyone else who was aboard. They all met their Maker the same day. It's like dying as an asterisk.

This is a little bit about some of the other victims...

https://twitter.com/WhitecapsCCBL/status/1221568464646623232?s=19

aberdien
01-26-2020, 08:16 PM
That’s ******* sad.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-26-2020, 08:41 PM
"I am incredibly saddened by the tragic news of Kobe Bryant's passing. I always appreciated Kobe's talent, work-ethic and competitiveness. Most of all, I appreciated his friendship. He was a friend and we worked together recently on several projects. I was honored to be asked by Kobe to be part of his Detail show and really enjoyed our interactions over the years. We retired at the same time and had to make that transition together. I am so shocked and saddened. My prayers are with the Bryant family and the families of everyone involved. I will miss Kobe very much just like so many will. It's just an incredibly sad day."

https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/statement-from-peyton-manning-on-kobe-bryant

OrangeHoof
01-26-2020, 11:51 PM
Given where they were headed, I worry that the others dead were friends of the daughter, not so much friends of Kobe. Possibly the first helicopter ride for some (come to think of it, I'm 60+ and I've never been in a helicopter).

Watching video of the crash site made me think that we were probably looking at a helicopter crash from one of many news helicopters who flew out to cover it. Chopper pilots say it's a zoo up there during a major event because so many news stations, plus local police, are up there buzzing around and all are focused on getting the best camera shot. It's miraculous there aren't more crashes.

Shazam!
01-27-2020, 07:00 AM
Given where they were headed, I worry that the others dead were friends of the daughter, not so much friends of Kobe. Possibly the first helicopter ride for some (come to think of it, I'm 60+ and I've never been in a helicopter).

Watching video of the crash site made me think that we were probably looking at a helicopter crash from one of many news helicopters who flew out to cover it. Chopper pilots say it's a zoo up there during a major event because so many news stations, plus local police, are up there buzzing around and all are focused on getting the best camera shot. It's miraculous there aren't more crashes.

A horrible way to go. We think of these athletes as if theyre immortal for their God given talent. All that fame and money and in the end he was killed in an accident like a reg dude, and the family dealing with the tragedy too. Just terrible.

BroncoWave
01-27-2020, 07:06 AM
I will never ride in a helicopter or a small aircraft. I feel like you see stories of one of those crashing just about every other week. That just has to be such a horrifying way to go, plummeting toward the ground knowing that you're stuck in there.

slim
01-27-2020, 07:38 AM
A horrible way to go. We think of these athletes as if theyre immortal for their God given talent. All that fame and money and in the end he was killed in an accident like a reg dude, and the family dealing with the tragedy too. Just terrible.

You think of them as immortal?

That is strange to me.

Shazam!
01-27-2020, 08:38 AM

You think of them as immortal?

That is strange to me.

Not immortal in the literal sense.

WTE
01-27-2020, 08:56 AM
IMO, seems like a poor decision to fly in such foggy conditions. LAPD grounded their aircraft due to the fog.

Just because you're rich enough to fly in a helicopter doesn't mean you always have to.

Northman
01-27-2020, 08:59 AM
IMO, seems like a poor decision to fly in such foggy conditions. LAPD grounded their aircraft due to the fog.

Just because you're rich enough to fly in a helicopter doesn't mean you always have to.

Have they determined exactly why it crashed? Someone had mentioned it caught on fire or something.

WTE
01-27-2020, 09:02 AM
Have they determined exactly why it crashed? Someone had mentioned it caught on fire or something.

IDK, could have been engine trouble as people on the ground heard sputtering and the helicopter appeared to be rapidly rising and descending just prior to crash.

But if you're having engine trouble you want to get the aircraft to the ground as soon as possible and the poor visibility did not help with those efforts at all.

aberdien
01-27-2020, 09:11 AM
https://twitter.com/The_FineMan/status/1221540610219356166

OrangeHoof
01-27-2020, 09:43 AM
It's leaking out that two of the other victims were baseball coach John Altobelli and his wife. Altobelli coached college baseball and in the Cape Cod leagues. No other details and not sure the veracity of this other than I've seen it in two places.

Oh, and some chick at the Washington Post is in hot water for tweeting a link to an old news report about the Eagle CO alleged rape case that was eventually settled out of court. She responded later she had received "thousands of death threats" after the tweet. And the BBC caught hell for showing clips of Lebron James in their obit on Kobe.

BroncoWave
01-27-2020, 09:44 AM
It's leaking out that two of the other victims were baseball coach John Altobelli and his wife. Altobelli coached college baseball and in the Cape Cod leagues. No other details and not sure the veracity of this other than I've seen it in two places.

Like when I posted it up above in response to you? :D

Nomad
01-27-2020, 10:16 AM

Sikorsky S-76 is a little more sophisticated than what LAPD has. Doesn’t take away the fact they could of taken more precautions due to weather. The S76 has the navigation system to fly in inclement weather.

Shazam!
01-27-2020, 10:21 AM
Chopper was spinning out of control before it hit and exploded. Video is online. Seemed like a mechanical issue?

BroncoWave
01-27-2020, 11:31 AM
All 9 victims...

https://www.wusa9.com/amp/article/news/nation-world/kobe-bryant-helicopter-crash-what-we-know-about-the-9-victims/507-b5d8d74c-e888-4dd9-adf4-a82096910ba1?__twitter_impression=true

Davii
01-27-2020, 12:21 PM
Chopper was spinning out of control before it hit and exploded. Video is online. Seemed like a mechanical issue?

You've been duped. The video purported to be of Kobe's doomed flight was a 2018 crash in the middle east

Shazam!
01-27-2020, 12:46 PM

You've been duped. The video purported to be of Kobe's doomed flight was a 2018 crash in the middle east

Oh wonderful. So you saw it too

Magnificent Seven
01-27-2020, 03:20 PM
Wow. Tomorrow will be a big night for Los Angeles Lakers.

Lakers' single game tickets have skyrocketed. $1,100 for upper level seats. $50,000 for Courtside seats. It will be a very emotional night at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. The world will be watching. Win for KB.

OrangeHoof
01-27-2020, 04:01 PM
Like when I posted it up above in response to you? :D

I apologize. My Firefox browser shows tweets and videos but somehow failed to convert

"https://twitter.com/WhitecapsCCBL/status/1221568464646623232?s=19"

so it showed as just a big blank. Once I added my own quotation marks, I can now see what you meant to post. Sorry for the confusion.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-27-2020, 05:53 PM
In honoring the life and legacy of Kobe Bryant, ESPN will re-air the final game of his NBA career tonight at 9 p.m. ET. In his final game at Staples Center on April 13, 2016, against the Utah Jazz, Bryant’s memorable performance led to a 60-point game. The retired NBA star and his daughter Gianna died tragically in a helicopter accident on Sunday, where seven others also perished.

The Big Monday matchup between Big 12 opponents No. 3 Kansas and Oklahoma State moves to ESPN2.

Australian Open quarterfinals will start on ESPNEWS at 9 p.m., and move to ESPN2 after the conclusion of Kansas-Oklahoma State.

rest - https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2020/01/honoring-the-life-and-legacy-of-kobe-bryant-espn-to-re-air-bryants-final-game-tonight/

Simple Jaded
01-27-2020, 05:54 PM
He was with his daughter ... his daughter!

And people wonder why I’m such a cynical Jaded POS.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-27-2020, 05:55 PM

Lakers' single game tickets have skyrocketed. $1,100 for upper level seats. $50,000 for Courtside seats. It will be a very emotional night at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. The world will be watching. Win for KB.

Lakers vs. Clippers game postponed

https://www.nba.com/article/2020/01/27/los-angeles-lakers-la-clippers-game-postponed-official-release

MOtorboat
01-27-2020, 06:53 PM

I assume this is second-hand ticket brokers. I see the game is being postponed, but anyone who stands to make money on this game, whatever their first game back is, should donate all of it to the victims’ families.

BroncoWave
01-27-2020, 07:16 PM
I assume this is second-hand ticket brokers. I see the game is being postponed, but anyone who stands to make money on this game, whatever their first game back is, should donate all of it to the victims’ families.

StubHub is donating all of their cut for tickets sold on that game to the Bryant foundation. I'd imagine the soulless ticket scalpers are doing no such thing though.

Buff
01-27-2020, 07:54 PM
https://twitter.com/ringer/status/1221955558590140416

slim
01-27-2020, 08:58 PM
Meh

WTE
01-27-2020, 09:25 PM
Meh

Heh Heh

slim
01-27-2020, 09:27 PM
Heh Heh

I feel bad that people died. But I can't understand how their lives are more important than the thousand of other people that also died that day

WTE
01-27-2020, 09:36 PM
I feel bad that people died. But I can't understand how their lives are more important than the thousand of other people that also died that day

Totally.

Nomad
01-27-2020, 09:40 PM

Altobelli’s daughter lost her entire family.......father, mother, and sister. You don't hear that everyday. i feel so bad for that young lady.

slim
01-27-2020, 09:48 PM
Altobelli’s daughter lost her entire family.......father, mother, and sister. You don't hear that everyday. i feel so bad for that young lady.

Yeah that sucks.

I wonder how many parades we will see for her?

BroncoWave
01-27-2020, 09:54 PM

This seems like just being contrary for the sake of being contrary. Obviously the death of someone you are aware of and are fond of is going to impact you more than someone you've never heard of. That's cool that you care equally about every single person who has ever died, but most people are more emotionally impacted by deaths of people who had some sort of impact on their lives.

OrangeHoof
01-27-2020, 10:27 PM

I attended my niece's high school graduation near Evergreen about 20 years ago and one of the last names called caused everyone to stop, cheer and rise from their seats as he walked across the stage to get his diploma.

Afterwards, my sister said "I suppose you're curious what that was all about". She then said the boy had, three years earlier, arranged to go on a ski trip with his parents, brother and best friend but became sick the day of the trip and had to stay home while the others flew off to a resort. His father was a pilot who had experience with small planes. Later that day, police came to his door to inform him that the plane had crashed and there were no survivors. He had no other family so some neighbors took him in and the town rallied behind him, making sure he had everything he needed to make the best of his life and be ready for college. It must have been a very rough experience for him but I hope he realized the second chance in life God had given him.

I'm not sure if the students were applauding the boy or themselves but, either way, a standing ovation was deserved. It's too bad more communities don't respond this way. I hope this Altobelli daughter can experience the love of those around her offering their help.

slim
01-28-2020, 07:26 AM
This seems like just being contrary for the sake of being contrary. Obviously the death of someone you are aware of and are fond of is going to impact you more than someone you've never heard of. That's cool that you care equally about every single person who has ever died, but most people are more emotionally impacted by deaths of people who had some sort of impact on their lives.

Well, we should take this discussion to the lounge or something.

People are mourning in here.

Tned
01-28-2020, 09:47 AM
Was curious about the mother/daughter who died and found a couple interesting articles, you guys might find interesting.

An article about Sarah and Payton Chester who were on the helicopter.

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/01/27/family-heartbroken-over-loss-of-sarah-and-payton-chester-who-died-in-helicopter-crash-with-kobe-bryant/

This is just about Kobe and the Mamba team and how well liked he was among the high school basketball community and how generous he was with his time and encouragement not just of his team, but others.

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/01/27/kobe-bryant-leaves-lasting-impact-with-orange-county-girls-basketball-community/

Buff
01-28-2020, 11:03 AM

I think a slightly more constructive version of this take is that some deaths affect me, and others I'm totally unaffected by -- and it's an inexact science... So based on that, we should give everyone the space to process their emotions how they see fit.

People just want to be outraged about anything these days -- backlash at the NBA for not cancelling the games, backlash at people grieving Kobe from the sexual assault victim crowd, or the "celebrity deaths don't matter" crowd, backlash against "speak ill of the dead" crowd, backlash, backlash, backlash. Too many opinions -- best to sit on the sidelines.

WTE
01-28-2020, 11:08 AM
I think a slightly more constructive version of this take is that some deaths affect me, and others I'm totally unaffected by

Same here. I was surprised how unaffected I was with the deaths of David Bowie, Prince and Tom Petty.

But I'm old enough to remember when Elvis died. It doesn't get more shocking than that. He was the King of Rock and Roll.

Northman
01-28-2020, 11:28 AM
Kobe's death and those that were with him is unfortunate but doesnt affect me in any way. But musicians like Neil Peart and Sean Reinhart certainly do so i get Buff's point.

slim
01-28-2020, 11:30 AM
I think a slightly more constructive version of this take is that some deaths affect me, and others I'm totally unaffected by -- and it's an inexact science... So based on that, we should give everyone the space to process their emotions how they see fit.

People just want to be outraged about anything these days -- backlash at the NBA for not cancelling the games, backlash at people grieving Kobe from the sexual assault victim crowd, or the "celebrity deaths don't matter" crowd, backlash against "speak ill of the dead" crowd, backlash, backlash, backlash. Too many opinions -- best to sit on the sidelines.

You are probably right. Forget I said anything.

BroncoWave
01-28-2020, 11:31 AM
You are probably right. Forget I said anything.

I always do!

Valar Morghulis
01-28-2020, 11:36 AM
On this issue I generally side with slim but I totally get buffalo soldier’s point of view

So much of life is actually better on the sidelines!

slim
01-28-2020, 07:11 PM
On this issue I generally side with slim but I totally get buffalo soldier’s point of view

So much of life is actually better on the sidelines!

Fire up a thread in the lounge. I want to berate BTB in the worst way

BroncoWave
01-28-2020, 07:25 PM
Fire up a thread in the lounge. I want to berate BTB in the worst way

Surely you aren't stupid enough to not know how to make a thread!

slim
01-28-2020, 07:26 PM
Surely you aren't stupid enough to not know how to make a thread!

I am lazy!!!

slim
01-28-2020, 07:27 PM
Alright, **** it

OrangeHoof
01-29-2020, 03:14 AM
We live in an information age. Great tragedies killing thousands of people would not have even reached most folks 100+ years ago. Now, we know about people dying from disease in China. Back during WWI, you might not even know that a loved one had died in combat until weeks later. There is a point of "compassion overload" when folks are confronted with so much misery spread by the speed and depth of common media that we become numb to stories of human pain and death.

BroncoJoe
01-29-2020, 07:28 AM
I was shocked more than sad. I did (and do) feel sadness for the families of the dead though.