PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Draft QBs

Shazam!
10-19-2019, 05:02 AM
The OLine is a garbage dump but inefficient mind numbing QB play is a huge part of the problem, along with a lack of weapons at TE and anything beyond Sutton (assuming Sanders is gone)...and who knows about Fant?

Unless Drew Lock looks like the second coming of PFM when Flacco is benched, with another high Draft pick Denver MUST get one of the best QBs available.

Short list of Top QBs available for 2020

Tua Tagovailoa - Alabama
Justin Hebert - Oregon
Jake Fromm - Georgia
Jordan Love - Utah State
Jalen Hurts - Oklahoma
KJ Costello - Stanford

Elway must love Hebert. Hes tall.

The unicorn Trevor Lawrence is in 2021.

Can anyone tell us more about the QBs available

Nomad
10-19-2019, 07:09 AM
If available, get Andrew Thomas. Not interested in any of the QBs

Shazam!
10-19-2019, 07:24 AM

I know T is a grave area of need as well, but Broncos still paying the price selecting Chubb in 2018 and not getting one of the QBs available in a QB heavy Draft.

I think Lock needs to show what he can do and Broncos go at another QB.

Nomad
10-19-2019, 07:56 AM
I'd much rather a stud LT to start, and give Lock his time to develop rather than get killed by Bolles. I saw a comparison of how Russell Wilson succeeds behind a subpar oline, but Wilson was also a third round pick (if we're keeping score).

Shazam!
10-19-2019, 08:13 AM
I'd much rather a stud LT to start, and give Lock his time to develop rather than get killed by Bolles. I saw a comparison of how Russell Wilson succeeds behind a subpar oline, but Wilson was also a third round pick (if we're keeping score).

Another QB Elway passed on...

Poet
10-19-2019, 08:22 AM
https://withthefirstpick.com/2019/05/24/jake-fromm-georgia-quarterback-2020-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

This isn't a shining indictment on Fromm. It's not a scathing rebuttal of him either. I suspect we end up at 4-5 wins, and he'll be the top guy available to us unless we want to trade up.

Justin Herbert is a massive no-go for me. Last year he should have feasted and he was more of a famine. He also showed he was a bit of a bed-wetter by staying in college and not going pro, especially since it was a shallow QB pool. You know who had both of those traits? Jake Locker. I've never been impressed with him as a QB, and he's more of a physical specimen than an actual producer. Hard pass.

I would be scared of Jalen Hurts, although he should be taken by the end of the third round based on talent alone. This is his first season where he's a big boy passing QB. Then again, there's something to be said for the fact that he's actually doing it. He's an incredibly hard worker, bright, and picked up the most modern and brilliant system in the history of football, so there's that. I guess I'll have to wait to see more.

Northman
10-19-2019, 08:39 AM
While some of those QB's might be tempting for Denver to take im with Nom right now in terms of the Oline. Bolles needs to go and we need to see what Lock can do before drafting another.

Poet
10-19-2019, 08:46 AM
I would only take 2uh.

Nomad
10-19-2019, 08:49 AM
While some of those QB's might be tempting for Denver to take im with Nom right now in terms of the Oline. Bolles needs to go and we need to see what Lock can do before drafting another.

I get folks want Tua to be the next Mahommie, or Wilson, but I'm not sold on him. Then again, I ain't no scout either.

I'd be curious to see what CoachChaz thinks. One of these QBs, or stud LT.

Shazam!
10-19-2019, 08:54 AM
I get LT is a huge need but isnt QB a need until its proven it's not a need? This team is dying for a leader at QB to guide the offense

Nomad
10-19-2019, 09:02 AM
I get LT is a huge need but isnt QB a need until its proven it's not a need? This team is dying for a leader at QB to guide the offense

You haven't given Lock a chance. Why not build around Lock?

Northman
10-19-2019, 09:08 AM
Qb is a need but no need to draft one just for the sake of drafting one at this point. We need to see if Lock can be the guy but it would also be in our best interests (and his) to improve the line as well.

Nomad
10-19-2019, 09:10 AM
Qb is a need but no need to draft one just for the sake of drafting one at this point. We need to see if Lock can be the guy but it would also be in our best interests (and his) to improve the line as well.

Andrew Luck agrees. ;)

Shazam!
10-19-2019, 09:13 AM

You haven't given Lock a chance. Why not build around Lock?

Build around Lock before even seeing what he has?

Northman
10-19-2019, 10:03 AM
Build around Lock before even seeing what he has?

You would be building around any QB Denver has present or future. You could bring Andrew Luck right now and he would still struggle.

Elevation inc
10-19-2019, 10:36 AM

Exactly, we don’t need a 1st rd QB from this class, lock hasn’t even had a shot and needs to be developed. Especially when OT, CB are even bigger needs....

What we need to do is cut Flacco, bring in a Vet #2 QB with some talent....then do everything we can to give lock a good shot at development with a Good OL, and weapons some of which we have

chazoe60
10-19-2019, 10:41 AM
So the logic here is that Drew Lock has to look like a FHOFer or else we spend another high draft pick on a QB?

How about we draft a legit NFL caliber LT and let Drew Lock develope a little? Let's put Drew Lock in when he's healthy enough and evaluate him in a realistic way, not some pie in the sky "he needs to look like the next PFM or else we move on" way. If we keep thinking every young QB has to be amazing or we move we will be moving on forever.

Nomad
10-19-2019, 10:51 AM
Exactly, we don’t need a 1st rd QB from this class, lock hasn’t even had a shot and needs to be developed. Especially when OT, CB are even bigger needs....

What we need to do is cut Flacco, bring in a Vet #2 QB with some talent....then do everything we can to give lock a good shot at development with a Good OL, and weapons some of which we have

Broncos would be retards to pass on a stud LT for any of those QBs. Broncos oline is crap, especially LT.

Yeah. This last game.....I'm done with Flacco. I've been a big 'give-him-a-chance guy' Some of those other games, it wasn't all his fault, but that crap effort on Thursday night tells me he's just stealing from the Broncos.

Shazam!
10-19-2019, 11:09 AM
Im just saying should see what he has first but if Lock isn't the answer... Then where are they?

We can say whatever we want about Locks talent but still Broncos in dire need doesnt have a 1st Rd Drat pick at QB.

atwater27
10-19-2019, 11:27 AM
NFL GM 1st priority... a great o-line that can protect their second priority. A QB. Elway has ignored the first priority while whiffing hard on the 2nd.

chazoe60
10-19-2019, 11:29 AM
Im just saying should see what he has first but if Lock isn't the answer... Then where are they?

We can say whatever we want about Locks talent but still Broncos in dire need doesnt have a 1st Rd Drat pick at QB.

We dont have enough time to know if Drew Lock is the answer by the time we draft in 2020. We need to start Lock the rest of this season and give him next season. By the end of the 2020 season we'll have an idea. We should draft OL or CB in this draft. I used to think MLB was also a 1st round type of need but this Alexander kid is making me think that's not the case anymore.

Nomad
10-19-2019, 11:31 AM
In the last 10 SBs, how many first round QBs have won? Manning & Rodgers are the only 2 I can think of. I don't see a Manning, or Rodgers, on that list.

Nomad
10-19-2019, 11:32 AM
Speaking of QBs, Trevor Lawrence is struggling on the road this year against quality opponents.

turftoad
10-19-2019, 11:37 AM

Did you not watch the last game? We couldn’t run, we couldn’t pass. We couldn’t even get out of our own way.
The OL is the worst unit on the field.
There is no way we are going to know what any QB is going to able to do behind that mess.

Shazam!
10-19-2019, 11:42 AM
So obviously the consensus here is Offensive Tackles first. Shoulda did a Poll.

Hope Lock is the real deal and see what he has sooner than later. A QB with a bit of escapability would help wonders

Flacco is a steaming pile of trash its unreal

Nomad
10-19-2019, 12:36 PM

Hope Lock is the real deal and see what he has sooner than later. A QB with a bit of escapability would help wonders

No one knows if Lock is the real deal. He did a damn good job in college. Probably just as good as anyone on your list. Bolles sucks more than Flacco. That's all we all here are saying.

Shazam!
10-19-2019, 12:40 PM

No one knows if Lock is the real deal. He did a damn good job in college. Probably just as good as anyone on your list. Bolles sucks more than Flacco. That's all we all here are saying.

I think everyone in the world agrees Bolles is shit except maybe his mom

Nomad
10-19-2019, 12:41 PM

I'm sure he's a good family man. He should retire, and focus on them. :D

MOtorboat
10-19-2019, 12:51 PM

A No. 2 journeyman?

Please don’t tempt Elway like that.

Nomad
10-19-2019, 12:54 PM
Who is a vet QB, with talent, just sitting around better than Flacco?

MOtorboat
10-19-2019, 12:56 PM
Who is a vet QB with talent just sitting around better than Flacco?

There isn’t. It’s why the Broncos need to draft and play a rookie. Have to try to develop a quarterback on the field, not just draft them and sit them. I get Lock is hurt, and you can’t help that, but they have a history of doing that and have failed twice already.

Shazam!
10-19-2019, 01:05 PM
Who is a vet QB with talent just sitting around better than Flacco?

There isn’t. It’s why the Broncos need to draft and play a rookie. Have to try to develop a quarterback on the field, not just draft them and sit them. I get Lock is hurt, and you can’t help that, but they have a history of doing that and have failed twice already.

I would start Lock a min of 6 games and pray he flashes something at least that he can play as a Starter. If not they need to swing again on a more NFL ready QB

chazoe60
10-19-2019, 02:35 PM

His mom is an idiot if she doesnt agree that he's shit

Simple Jaded
10-19-2019, 02:49 PM
Don’t know if it’s been mentioned but the LSU QB is getting Top 3 QB chatter from scouts.

Nomad
10-19-2019, 02:50 PM
Don’t know if it’s been mentioned but the LSU QB is getting Top 3 QB chatter from scouts.

He's similiar to Lock as he doesn't play a lot from under center.

Simple Jaded
10-19-2019, 02:53 PM
He's similiar to Lock as he doesn't play a lot from under center.

Unfortunately that’s true for most college QB’s and these days I worry just as much/more about calling plays.

Nomad
10-19-2019, 03:09 PM
Unfortunately that’s true for most college QB’s and these days I worry just as much/more about calling plays.

Isn't this the main concern from Bronco fans about Lock? That he didn't play from under center? It's a concern with all QBs doing out of college if they can call their own plays. This is kinda why I wish Peyton Manning would entertain coaching our QBs.

Poet
10-19-2019, 03:30 PM
Given how QB's are being coached, you have to cater to what QB's in college are doing. Which is why going with a defensive head coach this season was wrong.

Here's the real fix - pay Lincoln Riley a ton of money, and either pair him with Lock (who has first round talent he can be great, dammit) or grab a top flight blue chip prospect. I would probably take Tua if he was there, even though I believe in Lock. But that's it.

I would love a LT. But I'm typically a BPA type guy...

Simple Jaded
10-19-2019, 03:37 PM
Isn't this the main concern from Bronco fans about Lock? That he didn't play from under center? It's a concern with all QBs doing out of college if they can call their own plays. This is kinda why I wish Peyton Manning would entertain coaching our QBs.

Both are concerns, snaps from C/playing with his back to the defense in PA and the verbiage of the WCO.

Playing with their back to the defense after play action is apparently a huge learning curve too, from what I gather.

Northman
10-19-2019, 03:50 PM
Given how QB's are being coached, you have to cater to what QB's in college are doing. Which is why going with a defensive head coach this season was wrong.

Here's the real fix - pay Lincoln Riley a ton of money, and either pair him with Lock (who has first round talent he can be great, dammit) or grab a top flight blue chip prospect. I would probably take Tua if he was there, even though I believe in Lock. But that's it.

I would love a LT. But I'm typically a BPA type guy...

We definitely should have went BPA last year, passing up on Devin Bush was a huge mistake.

Simple Jaded
10-19-2019, 03:52 PM
We definitely should have went BPA last year, passing up on Devin Bush was a huge mistake.

They need Fant, and maybe even Lock, to payoff that live that one down.

The extra draft capital they got fro Bush was used to move up for Lock.

Poet
10-19-2019, 03:52 PM

Considering the ILB's do such heavy lifting for Fangio's scheme...

Oh man my tummy hurts.

Shazam!
10-19-2019, 03:54 PM

Considering the ILB's do such heavy lifting for Fangio's scheme...

Oh man my tummy hurts.

Fant is looking like another mistake. Those drops were awful on Thurs and may have been the only good plays Flacco made, were in complete passes.

Poet
10-19-2019, 03:56 PM
Fant is looking like another mistake. Those drops were awful on Thurs and may have been the only good plays Flacco made, were in complete passes.

I'm going to defend him a bit. He's had some nice moments. He's playing a position where the first year is especially brutal. His talent is obvious. He's faster than a lot of WR's. He's still learning. I would have preferred Bush by a mile, but I don't think he's a bust. He can turn the corner and be incredible. He could also end up being a flailing disaster. Too early to tell.

Northman
10-19-2019, 03:57 PM
Ill tell you what, once Bryce Hall is healthy i hope we pick him up. Even with his injury the guy is up in the booth helping the defensive coaches gameplan the Blue Devils. I have never seen that from a college player who is actively part of the team.

Simple Jaded
10-19-2019, 03:57 PM
He’s getting open runs the routes that the white stiffs cannot.

Poet
10-19-2019, 03:58 PM
I love me a LT, though...

Northman

The pass that Flacco made between 3 defenders which Fant dropped was gut wrenching to watch.

Poet
Ill tell you what, once Bryce Hall is healthy i hope we pick him up. Even with his injury the guy is up in the booth helping the defensive coaches gameplan the Blue Devils. I have never seen that from a college player who is actively part of the team.

Holy hell. He has a bright future.

Nomad
I'll give Fant room to grow. Getting his ass chewed by HoFers develops character.

Northman
10-19-2019, 03:59 PM
I'm going to defend him a bit. He's had some nice moments. He's playing a position where the first year is especially brutal. His talent is obvious. He's faster than a lot of WR's. He's still learning. I would have preferred Bush by a mile, but I don't think he's a bust. He can turn the corner and be incredible. He could also end up being a flailing disaster. Too early to tell.

My problem with Fant is that he was not a first round talent, he's another project and he isnt contributing like a first round talent. That is what has bothered me so far this year.

Northman
10-19-2019, 04:01 PM
Holy hell. He has a bright future.

Apparently he stayed up late calling the coaches to prepare for this game. I bet the coaches were like wtf kid.... :lol:

Poet
10-19-2019, 04:01 PM
My problem with Fant is that he was not a first round talent, he's another project and he isnt contributing like a first round talent. That is what has bothered me so far this year.

I thought he was a first round talent because of his size, speed, and acceleration? I didn't like the pick at the time. I didn't care for it, but I thought his talent checked out?

Simple Jaded
10-19-2019, 04:02 PM
I’ll disagree with you there North, Fant was a phenom as a Sophomore, he was the star before the other dude stole the spotlight ... but Fant was definitely a Top 20 player.

Northman
10-19-2019, 04:04 PM
I’ll disagree with you there North, Fant was a phenom as a Sophomore, he was the star before the other dude stole the spotlight ... but Fant was definitely a Top 20 player.

He's not playing like it whether its blocking or catching.

Simple Jaded
10-19-2019, 04:07 PM
He's not playing like it whether its blocking or catching.

Sure, when you put it like that it sounds bad.

Northman
10-19-2019, 04:09 PM
Sure, when you put it like that it sounds bad.

I mean, im just begging for anything at this point. LOL

Nomad
I love me a FB, though...

We know!! :D

MOtorboat
Do not care about blocking, but catch the damn ball.

Poet
10-19-2019, 04:12 PM

Amen.

Nomad
10-19-2019, 04:12 PM

Without me googling, who was the TE for Manning? I forgot his name. Damn dementia.

MOtorboat
10-19-2019, 04:19 PM
Without me googling, who was the TE for Manning? I forgot his name. Damn dementia.

Julius Thomas.

Northman
10-19-2019, 04:19 PM
Orange Julius who flamed out in Jax.

Nomad
10-19-2019, 04:22 PM
Thanks. It aggravates me when I can't remember simple stuff, and I'm sober.

Shazam!
10-19-2019, 05:11 PM

Julius Thomas.

Owen Daniels!!

Nomad
10-19-2019, 07:26 PM
Owen Daniels!!

He did a damn good job, too. Thanks.

Poet
10-19-2019, 07:29 PM
Nomad, if we can't get Tua, I want a tackle.

Nomad
10-19-2019, 07:43 PM
Nomad, if we can't get Tua, I want a tackle.

Andrew Thomas.

Simple Jaded
10-19-2019, 10:14 PM

Catch but also block.

MOtorboat
10-19-2019, 10:46 PM
Catch but also block.

Don’t give a **** about a tight end blocking.

Simple Jaded
10-19-2019, 11:17 PM

You’re so dark, are you from the DC Universe?

MOtorboat
10-20-2019, 03:54 AM
You’re so dark, are you from the DC Universe?

I don’t know what this means. Is this Thanos?

Shazam!
10-20-2019, 05:42 AM
Catch but also block.

Why come very important part of their job

JPPT1974
10-20-2019, 07:56 AM
Yeah as Elway a former QB himself you would think would know how to draft QB's.

Shazam!
10-20-2019, 08:35 AM
Yeah as Elway a former QB himself you would think would know how to draft QB's.

I don't think its all on him he is fed info from personnel evaluators. This is where i think they need change

Elevation inc
10-20-2019, 02:40 PM
I just like that people finally realized what I was saying all along about Flacco.....

As for the draft get us a LT....

Also F John Elway for that restructure on Flacco’s contract.....

Elevation inc
10-20-2019, 02:50 PM
A No. 2 journeyman?

Please don’t tempt Elway like that.

Haha true Fitzpatrick will be brought in as the next vet in his prime lol

Simple Jaded
10-20-2019, 03:11 PM
I don’t know what this means. Is this Thanos?

Cable

Nomad
10-20-2019, 03:14 PM
I just like that people finally realized what I was saying all along about Flacco.....

As for the draft get us a LT....

Also F John Elway for that restructure on Flacco’s contract.....

Your constant whining about Flacco was/is a turnoff. He is not good, we knew who he was, but he has had some good moments as a Bronco. The Chiefs game did give some of us that Flacco has no intentions of succeeding, and if the Broncos parted ways, it's not too soon.

Simple Jaded
10-20-2019, 03:30 PM
After everything Flacco’s done for you?

Smdh

Nomad
10-20-2019, 03:36 PM
After everything Flacco’s done for you?

Smdh

I love Inc. He's my pal.

Simple Jaded
10-20-2019, 06:16 PM
I love Inc. He's my pal.

He’s good people, I don’t care what they say about him.

Nomad
10-20-2019, 06:38 PM

I envy him living in Italy.

Elevation inc
10-21-2019, 12:55 AM
Your constant whining about Flacco was/is a turnoff. He is not good, we knew who he was, but he has had some good moments as a Bronco. The Chiefs game did give some of us that Flacco has no intentions of succeeding, and if the Broncos parted ways, it's not too soon.

There was a reason for it....I don't really care it irritated people because I had to fight people all summer about the type of QB he was and is, vs the supposed upgrade he would be in Denver. The FO made dumb decisions with him especially the stupid restructure...many of my reasons were fact based and supported by statistics. I also probably trolled way more then I needed to because I was pissed people couldn't see Flacco for what he was. I also had fun with it at times as well trying to be lighthearted about it. The entire football nation realized it probably wouldn't work out with Flacco, but everyone agreed he was a better and more talented QB then Case. That's all fine and good if you can put in on the field and he hadn't since 2014....That was pretty much well know to everyone but Denver fans and John Elway apparently. :lol:

Elevation inc
10-21-2019, 12:55 AM

My dude! :beer:

Elevation inc
10-21-2019, 12:56 AM
I love Inc. He's my pal.

We are Pals for sure....even when we disagree :lol: :beer:

Elevation inc
10-21-2019, 01:00 AM
I envy him living in Italy.

the downside is not being able to go to a broncos game....then again trying to time a win the last 3 years may have been tough as hell....:lol: Hopefully they get the international series next year so I can see them in London. I saw them in 2009 against SF there. They are due to come back its been 10 freaking years lol....Hopefully McD didn't ruin it for me :lol:

Poet
10-21-2019, 01:00 AM

I think it's harsh to call it whining. I hated the signing at the time, and I warmed up to Flacco a bit. I even defended him against Inc. That being said, it's not whining to staunchly defend a viewpoint that the team/org made a bad choice.

Joe Flacco got a contract restructure that makes getting rid of him difficult. Then again, some team was stupid enough to take Keenum, so who knows.

Elevation inc
10-22-2019, 07:06 AM
I think it's harsh to call it whining. I hated the signing at the time, and I warmed up to Flacco a bit. I even defended him against Inc. That being said, it's not whining to staunchly defend a viewpoint that the team/org made a bad choice.

Joe Flacco got a contract restructure that makes getting rid of him difficult. Then again, some team was stupid enough to take Keenum, so who knows.

Thank you :beer:

Northman
10-22-2019, 07:23 AM

At the same time we did go to 2 SB's and won one of them. It hasnt all been bad.

Elevation inc
10-22-2019, 07:33 AM
At the same time we did go to 2 SB's and won one of them. It hasnt all been bad.

I don't disagree, we have had good times, but it has been absolutely bad for the last 3-4 years were almost at historical bad levels as a franchise. If we lose to Indy Sunday it will be our worse 3 year stretch since 1970-1972 or something like that, with the potential to be even worse as the season progresses. We got big problems no matter how we look at it. We keep breaking all the wrong records lately....

If we didn't have ownership issues, the owner would have cleaned house already......right, wrong, or indifferent

Simple Jaded
10-22-2019, 08:59 PM
According to OTC, if the Broncos cut Flacco Pre-June 1st the dead cap hit would be $3.4 M (versus adding $20 M in cap space) ... let’s be honest, that’s not exactly cost prohibitive.

I could be wrong but let’s not worry about cutting/not cutting Flacco if this is true.

Edit; btw, if OTC is correct the Broncos have $64 in cap space in ‘20, this doesn’t have to be an extended rebuild.

Poet
10-22-2019, 09:01 PM
According to OTC, if the Broncos cut Flacco Pre-June 1st the dead cap hit would be $3.4 M (versus adding $20 M in cap space) ... let’s be honest, that’s not exactly cost prohibitive.

I could be wrong but let’s not worry about cutting Flacco if this is true.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/joe-flacco-4000/

Simple Jaded
10-22-2019, 09:10 PM
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/joe-flacco-4000/

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/denver-broncos/

Click on 2020 cap liabilities.

Spotrac sucks.

Poet
10-22-2019, 09:11 PM
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/denver-broncos/

Spotrac sucks.

Mo and BDB said it's cost prohibitive, and as such I believe them. I Stan Mo, even though he bullies me.

Simple Jaded
10-22-2019, 09:16 PM

I could be wrong but let’s not worry about cutting/not cutting Flacco if this is true.

Edit; btw, if OTC is correct the Broncos have $64 in cap space in ‘20, this doesn’t have to be an extended rebuild.
Sorry, this is supposed to be “Post-June 1st cut”, huge difference.

Simple Jaded
10-22-2019, 09:17 PM
Mo and BDB said it's cost prohibitive, and as such I believe them. I Stan Mo, even though he bullies me.

It’s cost prohibitive if they don’t designate it “Post-June 1st”, which they wouldn’t do.

Poet
10-22-2019, 09:22 PM
Sorry, this is supposed to be “Post-June 1st cut”, huge difference.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2019/9/7/20854160/the-broncos-restructure-joe-flaccos-contract-creating-13-6-million-in-cap-room

Simple Jaded
10-22-2019, 09:29 PM
https://www.milehighreport.com/2019/9/7/20854160/the-broncos-restructure-joe-flaccos-contract-creating-13-6-million-in-cap-room

I get that but if you designate it post-June it spreads the dead money out.

Elevation inc
10-23-2019, 12:58 AM

Yeah there are a couple different sites reporting different things....most of the articles about the restructure when it happened alluded to strange timing because it created a huge dead money hit to cut him next year if needed....at the end of the day, Elway should only keep his job if he is finally willing to rebuild after this season.....Flacco shouldn't be a part of that. I would rather go with a lock and Allen combo and develop youth then hope flacco can get us to a 8-8 season.....

That possible cap space is great, but all were probably going to attract is money chasers, not necessarily elite talent at this point. If they are talented as well so be it.....but I'm not hedging we can make some sound calls in FA based off the last few years. Jackson is probably our best FA acquisition of the last few years....

Simple Jaded
10-23-2019, 03:52 AM
Yeah there are a couple different sites reporting different things....most of the articles about the restructure when it happened alluded to strange timing because it created a huge dead money hit to cut him next year if needed....at the end of the day, Elway should only keep his job if he is finally willing to rebuild after this season.....Flacco shouldn't be a part of that. I would rather go with a lock and Allen combo and develop youth then hope flacco can get us to a 8-8 season.....

That possible cap space is great, but all were probably going to attract is money chasers, not necessarily elite talent at this point. If they are talented as well so be it.....but I'm not hedging we can make some sound calls in FA based off the last few years. Jackson is probably our best FA acquisition of the last few years....

I like Flacco, I just wanna see y’all hurtin over his dead money, I think the Broncos gave themselves a reasonable escape plan.

I could be wrong, but if hurtin you is wrong I don’t wanna be right.

Elevation inc
10-23-2019, 05:35 AM
I like Flacco, I just wanna see y’all hurtin over his dead money, I think the Broncos gave themselves a reasonable escape plan.

I could be wrong, but if hurtin you is wrong I don’t wanna be right.

I think no one really knows the more I read, what the hit will be. I have seen anywhere from 3 mil to 24 mil......I will say this though....I know you hate 8-8 and I'm pretty sure Flacco has shown nothing so far that proves he is capable of even obtaining that :lol: I'm not so sure we have a reasonable escape plan regardless of the cap hit.....because it seems Elway is currently okay with a QB Disgracing himself on National TV......

Jaded.....Flacco does make me hurt, so please don't be right :lol:

G_Money
10-23-2019, 10:47 AM
What in the paint-huffing, rabbit-fornicating hell is this?

https://www.9news.com/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/ready-or-not-drew-lock-must-wait/73-dcfd8317-7208-4d9c-83ed-d7b502c725b9

If 4-5 occurs, Riddick might join Patrick as the choices for activation as, lord knows, the Broncos could use additional offensive help. Riddick, when last seen in Detroit, was a nice pass-catching threat out of the backfield. He would not take carries away from Phillip Lindsay or Royce Freeman.

But if the Broncos are 2-7 or 3-6 at the bye, Lock would likely start practicing in week 11. The plan at that point would be to practice three full weeks before Lock would be activated as a backup QB for the final four games of the season with a chance to play in the final game or two.

To rush a rookie quarterback who misses half the preseason and regular season with an injury is to do more harm than good.

G_Money
10-23-2019, 10:51 AM
I love going into a draft where I have a chance to draft another QB if I've busted on my 6th straight one, but I decide I don't wanna know if this one is a bust beforehand.

LT or bust in the first I guess? We'll find out if we have a QB after we find a way to keep that warm body alive? None of this makes sense to me, and the Broncos have forfeit the benefit of the doubt.

Hawgdriver
10-23-2019, 10:57 AM
Devil's attorney: how valuable is the information gathered from Lock in games where the OL obfuscates a clean QB evaluation, he's not taking practice snaps with 1's, and he's still learning a pro offense designed for Flacco.

Personally, I think Flacco should be benched, assets purged for value, and they should make a commitment to a bespoke offense built for Lock.

underrated29
10-23-2019, 11:03 AM
I love going into a draft where I have a chance to draft another QB if I've busted on my 6th straight one, but I decide I don't wanna know if this one is a bust beforehand.

LT or bust in the first I guess? We'll find out if we have a QB after we find a way to keep that warm body alive? None of this makes sense to me, and the Broncos have forfeit the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe elway has been reading what my plan is?
(that plan again->) Get a top draft pick, trade down once staying in top 10 and picking the LT. Now that we have a real LT we start lock all next year and see how he does. If he sucks then we have our LT and we have the ammo from the trades to move up and get Trev L...Also, if lock sucks we likely will be picking that high anyway. Its so good it will never happen because it makes too much sense.

Tangerine
10-23-2019, 11:04 AM
What’s the point of this thread? Even if they draft a QB, they’ll be too afraid to play him, and they’ll just stick him on IR if he stubs his toe.

G_Money
10-23-2019, 11:15 AM
The OLine is a garbage dump but inefficient mind numbing QB play is a huge part of the problem, along with a lack of weapons at TE and anything beyond Sutton (assuming Sanders is gone)...and who knows about Fant?

Unless Drew Lock looks like the second coming of PFM when Flacco is benched, with another high Draft pick Denver MUST get one of the best QBs available.

Short list of Top QBs available for 2020

Tua Tagovailoa - Alabama
Justin Hebert - Oregon
Jake Fromm - Georgia
Jordan Love - Utah State
Jalen Hurts - Oklahoma
KJ Costello - Stanford

Elway must love Hebert. Hes tall.

The unicorn Trevor Lawrence is in 2021.

Can anyone tell us more about the QBs available

You left Burrow from LSU off of this. Joe Burrow is gonna fly up draft boards if he's not already. I expect John - if he's going QB - to go with Herbert or Burrow. It goes like this:

Tua - talented as hell, injury-prone because of playstyle. He holds the ball too long and doesn't have the arm Elway loves on all his busted prospects.

Herbert - is just not progressing. Looks unbelievably great for 2 or 3 series and then forgets how to anticipate routes or read defenses. Lotta bust potential, needs the right QB coach which we do not have.

Burrow - hottest QB in football at any level anywhere. Thermonuclear, pocket-passer, can handle under center and play-action better than anyone else. Not the strongest arm or best form but has the above-the-shoulders game at the moment.

Eason - big, huge arm, thinks that's enough... sounds like another Elway guy. He's playing for Washington, and they like smart QBs, so it could work out better than Brock.

Jordan Love - this year's version of Drew Lock, I guess.

I dunno man. I don't think there are gonna be 5 first-round QBs. Or probably 4. But there will almost certainly be 2 in the top 5. Depends how high Denver gets and what they do with it. But I'm with everyone else - give me the LT from Alabama and let's move on. I just wish we were gonna see more of Lock this year.

VonDoom
10-23-2019, 11:46 AM
What in the paint-huffing, rabbit-fornicating hell is this?

https://www.9news.com/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/ready-or-not-drew-lock-must-wait/73-dcfd8317-7208-4d9c-83ed-d7b502c725b9

I was just coming on here to make a topic on this, but I see you've got it covered. It's another in the long line of genius QB decisions we've made.

For Lock specifically, let's recap - he hurts his thumb so we put him on IR rather than just keeping him inactive for a few weeks (by the way, Callahan has been taking up a roster spot since week one - how many games has he played again?), Lock appears to have recovered and has been throwing a football for weeks. Flacco has been mediocre, as expected, and looked like a dear in the headlights against KC, making even his most ardent supporters wonder if he wants to play for this team. We're a bad football team with a chance to play our young QB in a lost season but we'd rather string him along and play him in the last game or two to get as little chance to evaluate him as possible while we continue to lose games with Flacco. Did I miss anything?

VonDoom
10-23-2019, 11:49 AM
I get that but if you designate it post-June it spreads the dead money out.

Then you're just kicking the can down the road. I'd rather just do it like a band aid - right off. Of course, I wouldn't have restructured him (or traded for him, actually) so I expect us to do the opposite of whatever I want.

MOtorboat
10-23-2019, 12:41 PM

I think the problem with your logic is that he has no interest in drafting a quarterback next year.

Northman
10-23-2019, 12:44 PM
I think the problem with your logic is that he has no interest in drafting a quarterback next year.

That we know of anyway.

MOtorboat
10-23-2019, 12:51 PM
That we know of anyway.

Obviously that’s my opinion. I’m not claiming to have inside knowledge, here. But if the 9News report is correct - he does have good sources in the building - and the plan is to maybe play your second round quarterback in the final game of the season and you restructured your veteran starter’s contract so that there’s a glut of dead money if he isn’t your starting quarterback in 2020 and you added a third year in 2021, logically you are not drafting a quarterback six months later.

Northman
10-23-2019, 12:56 PM
Obviously that’s my opinion. I’m not claiming to have inside knowledge, here. But if the 9News report is correct - he does have good sources in the building - and the plan is to maybe play your second round quarterback in the final game of the season and you restructured your veteran starter’s contract so that there’s a glut of dead money if he isn’t your starting quarterback in 2020 and you added a third year in 2021, logically you are not drafting a quarterback six months later.

I kind of hope he plans to play Lock sooner that the last game, this way we could have a better idea of what we have in Drew by that point.

Elevation inc
10-23-2019, 01:32 PM
It’s dumb we’re a sinking ship as long as flacco is our QB.....it’s pretty clear....

Cugel
10-23-2019, 02:21 PM
I know T is a grave area of need as well, but Broncos still paying the price selecting Chubb in 2018 and not getting one of the QBs available in a QB heavy Draft.

I think Lock needs to show what he can do and Broncos go at another QB.

You're dead right of course. In retrospect Broncos should have moved from #5 to #3 and gotten Sam Darnold in the 2018 draft. No he didn't look good on Monday Night against the Patriots. But, he's a good prospect for the future.

"This offensive line is simply not good enough to win.If I were playing behind this OL and looked over and saw #72, I'd be reaching for my Rosary Beads. So, I'd be hesitant to just throw out Drew Lock and say 'let's see what we've got' because behind this OL can you really tell what we've got?" -- Joel Klatt.

"I think that view the top 3 or 4 QBs better than Drew Lock. The guys I'd consider: Herbert from Oregon, Tua from Alabama, Fromm from Georgia, and Eason from Washington. Those are the ones I think are really intriguing. I think Herbert might be the one that has the most talent." -- Joel Klatt (https://1043thefan.com/category/podcast_player/?a=10029992&sid=1177&n=The+Fan+Interviews)

This is the problem. It might be hard to see what they have in Lock behind this OL but it's vital to determine whether they go back in the draft in 2020 and grab one of the top QBs in the top 10.

Cugel
10-23-2019, 02:25 PM
Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post

No, you're correct about the Elway plan. The plan was Joe Flacco for the next 3 years and Drew Lock sits on the bench like Brock Osweiler until Flacco retires and Elway retires at the end of his contract.

But, that was not taking into account the Broncos going 3-13 and Flacco looking totally washed up out there. Elway cannot simply trot Joe Flacco out there in a hopelessly lost season and expect the fans to show up in November and December to watch Flacco get sacked 9 times a game and Garrett Bolles get 3 holding penalties a game and the team score 6 points.

Nobody's going to show up for that, or if they do they'll have bags over their heads and leave at halftime.

So, the plan is going to have to change whether Elway likes it or not. The stench of failure is simply too overwhelming.

Simple Jaded
10-26-2019, 10:35 PM
If Denver is in the position they will draft a QB, I don’t think they’d pass up the opportunity because of Flacco, that’s for sure.

Cugel
10-26-2019, 11:10 PM
I was just coming on here to make a topic on this, but I see you've got it covered. It's another in the long line of genius QB decisions we've made.

For Lock specifically, let's recap - he hurts his thumb so we put him on IR rather than just keeping him inactive for a few weeks (by the way, Callahan has been taking up a roster spot since week one - how many games has he played again?), Lock appears to have recovered and has been throwing a football for weeks. Flacco has been mediocre, as expected, and looked like a dear in the headlights against KC, making even his most ardent supporters wonder if he wants to play for this team. We're a bad football team with a chance to play our young QB in a lost season but we'd rather string him along and play him in the last game or two to get as little chance to evaluate him as possible while we continue to lose games with Flacco. Did I miss anything?

Just that "Flacco is in his prime" which means they had to renegotiate his contract to make sure he had a $23m cap hit next year if they cut him. So the plan is to start Flacco next year as well as this.

See, it's not Flacco's fault. It's the offensive scheme or the OL or the WRs or the TEs . . . not Flacco. Never Flacco. :tsk:

underrated29
10-27-2019, 12:08 AM
If Denver is in the position they will draft a QB, I don’t think they’d pass up the opportunity because of Flacco, that’s for sure.

They wont. From the things I have heard we do not want to go qb.

Simple Jaded
10-27-2019, 02:03 AM
They wont. From the things I have heard we do not want to go qb.

Be reasonable!

Cugel
10-27-2019, 03:45 AM
Be reasonable!

But, Elway isn't very reasonable is he? Else we would have drafted a QB in 2018 instead of having Case Keenum.

In fact, has anybody noticed that Case Keenum is having a better season in D.C. than Flacco?

dogfish
10-27-2019, 11:12 AM
You left Burrow from LSU off of this. Joe Burrow is gonna fly up draft boards if he's not already. I expect John - if he's going QB - to go with Herbert or Burrow. It goes like this:

Tua - talented as hell, injury-prone because of playstyle. He holds the ball too long and doesn't have the arm Elway loves on all his busted prospects.

Herbert - is just not progressing. Looks unbelievably great for 2 or 3 series and then forgets how to anticipate routes or read defenses. Lotta bust potential, needs the right QB coach which we do not have.

Burrow - hottest QB in football at any level anywhere. Thermonuclear, pocket-passer, can handle under center and play-action better than anyone else. Not the strongest arm or best form but has the above-the-shoulders game at the moment.

Eason - big, huge arm, thinks that's enough... sounds like another Elway guy. He's playing for Washington, and they like smart QBs, so it could work out better than Brock.

Jordan Love - this year's version of Drew Lock, I guess.

I dunno man. I don't think there are gonna be 5 first-round QBs. Or probably 4. But there will almost certainly be 2 in the top 5. Depends how high Denver gets and what they do with it. But I'm with everyone else - give me the LT from Alabama and let's move on. I just wish we were gonna see more of Lock this year.

so, we can get a guy named burrow to be the QB of the donkeys? that sounds like fate. . .

has fromm been so bad he's not even part of the discussion anymore?

SmilinAssasSin27
10-27-2019, 04:59 PM
This is THE class to get a QB. There are plenty of options. I like Lock, but hell...we know zero about him yet. Take a QB in round 1 and spend the rest of the draft on the interiors. Tua, Herbert, Fromm and Eason are 4 names I'd love to bring in to compete with Lock. Burrow seems to have evolved as well. Lawrence is a specimen, but his accuracy is crap outside of his deep balls. He seems to have "it" otherwise, bit he's 2 years away and everyone will want him. I'm partial to Tua straight up due to the superior accuracy.

Slick
10-27-2019, 06:03 PM
I want a guy with mobility. Doesn’t have to be Lamar Jackson mobility, just be able to move ffs. I’ve seen enough pocket stiffs the last several years to last me a lifetime.

Cugel
10-27-2019, 06:33 PM
I want a guy with mobility. Doesn’t have to be Lamar Jackson mobility, just be able to move ffs. I’ve seen enough pocket stiffs the last several years to last me a lifetime.

Elway has a giraffe fetish! So, let's see:

Tua - 6'1" -- Oh, Hell no! No way! Elway scoffed at the idea that Kyler Murray could be a franchise QB cause he's too short. Tua's a tiny homunculus.

Justin Herbert -- 6'6" - Now that's more like it! If Herbert can get some platform shoes he'd be 6'7" and Elway would swoon!

Herbert's the man!

Jake Fromm -- 6'2" -- Midget! Get thee hence Dwarf!

Jacob Eason -- 6'6" -- Oh, no! It's another battle of the baby-giraffes! Just like Brock versus Paxton!

How will Elway choose when neither Eason nor Herbert is taller than the other?

Nomad
10-27-2019, 06:44 PM
Mineaswell trade Lock now, if fans want to draft another QB in the spring.

Cugel
10-27-2019, 06:51 PM
HOw can they trade Lock? He's 6'4" ! That might not be as tall as Paxton, but he's tall enough to keep, at least until Elway can land a taller QB like Herbert or Eason!

Simple Jaded
10-27-2019, 07:43 PM

I love Lock, I think he can be the QBotF ... but they gotta hedge their bet, this has gone on long enough.

Cugel
10-27-2019, 09:57 PM
Oh, yeah. Elway was once again saved from himself as the Broncos inevitably lost again. They have 4 more road games left: @Buffalo, @Minn, @KC, @Texans, so that's 4 more losses added to the 6 they already have is 6-10 at best.

Then add in a couple of fairly tough home games against the Lions and Raiders, assuming they lose one of those games 5-11. That's a top 10 pick.

So, Elway is saved from himself.

He believes, quite insanely, that this team is "close to competing." It's not close to anything. Winning this Colts game would give rise to further delusions about this team somehow turning it around.

They haven't got the talent on offense to turn it around. That's not changing until the off-season and they clean house on offense and get some better players both on the OL and in the WR pool, where they have Courtland Sutton, and nobody else worth mentioning.

So, all that a win would do is ruin their draft pick! Let the suck continue. If you're not going to be 12-4, don't sit in purgatory at 7-9, 8-8. Those teams are caught in limbo, neither good enough to really compete for championships, but not bad enough to get a top 10 pick so as to draft one of the top rated QB prospects. Why not give yourself the best chance to get an elite prospect at QB in a year where there are probably 3 elite QB prospects.

You could certainly get one of them if you were Denver. But, only if Elway has the Flacco plan beaten into his brain for the entire rest of the season: "Flacco does not work. He's not the answer. You can't just keep starting him all season long even though you desperately want to, just to show all those idiot critics who keep pointing out that "Flacco sucks" that "ha, ha! I was right and you were wrong! Flacco's in his prime! Just like I said!"

That's his motivation to sit there stubbornly holding on to his delusions: until they are no longer tenable. Until this team loses it's 9th game. That guarantees a losing record on the season. And Denver could reach that point with 5 games left to go.

If they just keep losing, which is at least an even bet. They could beat the woeful Browns. Maybe. But, it would change nothing, except their draft position.

If this team continues to suck though, Elway will be saved from himself. He'll be FORCED to play Drew Lock with at least 1 month to go in the season. 2-9 will do that.

All they have to do is lose the next 3 games and it's over. All Elway's idiot plans, flushed down the tubes. He will have no choice but to admit defeat and look to the future.

They desperately do NOT want to give the fans a chance to see Drew Lock. But, they're gonna have to play Drew Lock!

It's coming people. NOt as fast as we would like. But, it is coming. Embrace the suck, folks. At least Lock will be a change.

Poet
10-27-2019, 10:01 PM
I wish the national media would dog Elway. He has no accountability. No one is going to oust him. Who can? A wise man said Elway would have fired Elway by now.

Hawgdriver
10-27-2019, 10:02 PM
I wish the national media would dog Elway. He has no accountability. No one is going to oust him. Who can? A wise man said Elway would have fired Elway by now.

I like Elway. He has championship DNA. He just needs his next TD or PFM...his next...power totem.

Poet
10-27-2019, 10:04 PM
I like Elway. He has championship DNA. He just needs his next TD or PFM...his next...power totem.

He got lucky early on as a GM. I know it's not a popular take, but it's at least closer to true than "omfg JFE is the reason we got all those great defenders on good deals," and those guys were what won us the SB.

He's not going to turn it around. He is what he is.

Hawgdriver
10-27-2019, 10:54 PM
He got lucky early on as a GM. I know it's not a popular take, but it's at least closer to true than "omfg JFE is the reason we got all those great defenders on good deals," and those guys were what won us the SB.

He's not going to turn it around. He is what he is.

There is some truth to that.

What if the TE from Portland never plays with PFM? I forget his name. The one that wouldn't block but MO loved him. Julius Thomas.

What if he's drafted into this offense? Maybe he rides the bench or gets fifteen snaps and one or two targets a game.

Hook him up with a dude who understands endzone throwing windows...boom...5 yr, $46 million.

Better lucky than good sometimes.

Poet
10-27-2019, 11:02 PM
Start the year after the SB. Take the name off Elway. Jack Ellington. Jack gets fired. John's here because he's John. Make no mistake, if that was a GM with a different name even after the SB win he'd be fired.

Until we get a real owner, this is where we are at.

underrated29
10-27-2019, 11:07 PM
Start the year after the SB. Take the name off Elway. Jack Ellington. Jack gets fired. John's here because he's John. Make no mistake, if that was a GM with a different name even after the SB win he'd be fired.

The name matters not. Who is under center does. Not team goes from hof qb, to nothing and keeps winning. Until we have the QB it matters not who the gm is, coach, or anything else.

You know this

Poet
10-27-2019, 11:32 PM
You prolong the shiityness when you Elway it up.

Simple Jaded
10-28-2019, 12:13 AM
The name matters not. Who is under center does. Not team goes from hof qb, to nothing and keeps winning. Until we have the QB it matters not who the gm is, coach, or anything else.

You know this

He’s not wrong in the sense that Elway would’ve fired this GM by now.

dogfish
10-28-2019, 12:51 AM

nope. . . we need more QB talent, not less. . . two isn't too many. . .

Simple Jaded
10-28-2019, 06:06 PM

Flacco, Lock, Tua and a legitimate prospect on the PS ... I might even find a roster spot for a 5th QB by forcing him to punt (couldn’t punt worse than I-just-realized-I-don’t-know-the-punters-name).

Nomad
10-28-2019, 06:19 PM

I don't see any Peyton Mannings in this draft to overcome this terrible offensive line. Jump on the #andrewthomas train with me, dog. He is why Fromm is pretty good. ;)

Elevation inc
10-29-2019, 02:11 AM

I agree in some aspect as well... I actually hope both Allen and Lock flash this season now with the Flacco injury. I just can't get behind a fist rd Qb this year yet when the Tackle classes are becoming rare to find talent now out of college. If we have a chance at a guy like Thomas, or that dude from USC who are considered cant miss, I don't know how we pass that up.

Its really why we need to know what we have in Lock, makes the decision easier if Lock shows he can play.

Cugel
10-29-2019, 03:41 AM
King87 View Post

GM and President of Football Operations "John Smith" would have been fired after the 2018 season for sure. Elway is just really, really bad at player personnel decisions.

He managed to get Peyton to come here and took all the credit he could out of that win.

And that's pretty much it. All his player personnel moves since 2015 have totally sucked. I can't think of one thing he's actually done right. Hired and fired coaches, drafted players and signed high priced FAs.

It's all been total suck.

'Just this year: JaWuann James and Bryce Callahan are getting close to $13 million. Next year it will be more. Next year Joe Flacco will have a $13million cap hit and $10million in 2021 -- guaranteed money because Elway was so sure he was right about Flacco being "in his prime" that they redid his contract in mid season!

Normal GMs don't survive that level of idiocy for very long.