PDA

View Full Version : The Trade Chris Harris Jr. Thread

Buff
09-30-2019, 04:50 PM
Listen, we all love the guy. He's been a great Bronco... But the time has come for both sides to move on. He wants to go get paid elsewhere, and his value is going to depreciate every week.

His latest tweet is interesting, if for no other reason than it obviously wasn't written by him -- clearly his agent. Anyone who follows CHJ knows he's never used so much punctuation.

/https://twitter.com/ChrisHarrisJr/status/1178785089959784448

wayninja
09-30-2019, 04:52 PM
I want to know if Lindsay thinks he's a good fan.

Poet
09-30-2019, 04:52 PM
Considering the fact that he hit us with the "I have 13 weeks left," line, he can kick rocks. I'll love him again in a little while, when I'm less irked and cranky.

Buff
09-30-2019, 04:54 PM
Considering the fact that he hit us with the "I have 13 weeks left," line, he can kick rocks. I'll love him again in a little while, when I'm less irked and cranky.

That's why his agent is having him do damage control with this tweet -- go compare it to any of his other tweets, it's strikingly different in tone and substance.

Poet
09-30-2019, 04:56 PM
That's why his agent is having him do damage control with this tweet -- go compare it to any of his other tweets, it's strikingly different in tone and substance.

I agree with you, Buff. I agree with you so ******* hard right now.

wayninja
09-30-2019, 04:56 PM
I concur. Dude needs a new team like Denver needs a new GM.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-30-2019, 05:05 PM
Chris may have said that now, because of what he said after the game yesterday.

ProFootballTalk
‏Verified account @ProFootballTalk
5h5 hours ago

Broncos cornerback Chris Harris Jr. said “13 more weeks for me,” as he left the locker room last night (so I guess he got the flu shot)

Chris Harris Jr. is counting his days left in Denver
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/30/chris-harris-jr-is-counting-his-days-left-in-denver/

Timmy!
09-30-2019, 05:08 PM
To an NFC contender for a 3rd for sure. He's been a good soldier, but it's time to move on. Same with He-man.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-30-2019, 05:12 PM
Troy Renck
‏Verified account @TroyRenck
26m26 minutes ago

Troy Renck Retweeted Chris Harris

From @ChrisHarrisJr #Denver7

Troy Renck added,
Chris Harris
Verified account @ChrisHarrisJr
I love being a Bronco, and the only thing I am unhappy about is losing. Anyone who suggests otherwise is flat out wrong #Strapharris

Troy Renck
‏Verified account @TroyRenck
29m29 minutes ago

Troy Renck Retweeted Chris Harris

Echoes, in part, what I said on @1043TheFan today. Go into any NFL locker room moments after a loss, and there will be raw emotion, maybe even arguments. It happens given the investment of time, practice, passion. #Broncos @ChrisHarrisJr has lived the highs and lows. #Denver7

Troy Renck added,
Chris Harris
Verified account @ChrisHarrisJr
I am as motivated as ever to turn this around with the Broncos. I love my teammates, coaches, and all the fans here in Denver. We were all frustrated after the game because we "CARE" and want to "WIN."

BroncoWave
09-30-2019, 05:12 PM
If we can get a 3rd or better, absolutely. Otherwise, keep him and get the comp pick.

I Eat Staples
09-30-2019, 05:14 PM

I can't blame him since I feel the same way as a fan. Watching this team feels like a chore.

Buff
09-30-2019, 05:18 PM
Here's the real dilemma - Elway is going to hold off on trading until the season is 100% mathematically lost. Can we still get a 3rd for him after the Week 8 deadline?

wayninja
09-30-2019, 05:20 PM
Here's the real dilemma - Elway is going to hold off on trading until the season is 100% mathematically lost. Can we still get a 3rd for him after the Week 8 deadline?

Just depends on what bubble teams need a corner at that time. Eagles are a real possibility.

BroncoWave
09-30-2019, 05:27 PM

Yeah that's definitely the problem. He's a 12 week rental now, and even at that we probably aren't getting much more than a 3rd, MAYBE a 2nd. I imagine we're probably just going to wind up keeping him and letting him walk unless a team goes crazy and offers a first.

Buff
09-30-2019, 05:30 PM
Yeah that's definitely the problem. He's a 12 week rental now, and even at that we probably aren't getting much more than a 3rd, MAYBE a 2nd. I imagine we're probably just going to wind up keeping him and letting him walk unless a team goes crazy and offers a first.

And that's where Elway's old school thinking annoys me. He'll probably stubbornly hold onto him through a lost season because he's concerned about what message it would send to the locker room... Which would be in-line with him never really acknowledging that we're in rebuilding mode, and being too focused on the present.

BroncoWave
09-30-2019, 05:39 PM
And that's where Elway's old school thinking annoys me. He'll probably stubbornly hold onto him through a lost season because he's concerned about what message it would send to the locker room... Which would be in-line with him never really acknowledging that we're in rebuilding mode, and being too focused on the present.

Yeah given that we've lost 4 close games and the AFC is comically bad this year (the raiders are currently the 6 seed) I imagine Elway will be in denial and thinking we have a chance for the foreseeable future.

UnderArmour
09-30-2019, 05:55 PM

What? The man has earned the right to say what he wants to say through his effort and elite play. I certainly don't want him to "kick rocks," and I hope Elway finds the money to keep him with us on a Champ Bailey late career type deal.

wayninja
09-30-2019, 05:56 PM
What? The man has earned the right to say what he wants to say through his effort and elite play. I certainly don't want him to "kick rocks," and I hope Elway finds the money to keep him with us on a Champ Bailey late career type deal.

But what he "wants" to say is toxic. Earned or not. He shouldn't want that.

Now that it's known that he does, the calculations for his departure have to be made.

UnderArmour
09-30-2019, 05:59 PM
But what he "wants" to say is toxic. Earned or not. He shouldn't want that.

Now that it's known that he does, the calculations for his departure have to be made.

This team isn't going to the playoffs. What he said was accurate: there are, in fact, 13 weeks left in this season.

Buff
09-30-2019, 06:01 PM
This team isn't going to the playoffs. What he said was accurate: there are, in fact, 13 weeks left in this season.

I think both things can be true. He's earned the right to speak his mind. And the writing is kind of on the wall - if they were going to work out a long term deal, it would have happened last off-season.

Poet
09-30-2019, 06:13 PM

I supported him when he wanted more money. We gave that to him. When we didn't have to, but we did and I thought that we should have. He has the right to say what he has on his mind, and I acknowledge that. I also have the right to say right back, kick rocks. What he said comes across as true, but so pointed that it's basically toxic. It would be great if we could keep him, and great if we had a deal that worked for both parties, but that ship has sailed. So, kick rocks.

wayninja
09-30-2019, 06:14 PM

Oh. I had no idea his comment was simply an enumeration of the number of weeks left.

Hawgdriver
09-30-2019, 06:18 PM
Yeah given that we've lost 4 close games and the AFC is comically bad this year (the raiders are currently the 6 seed) I imagine Elway will be in denial and thinking we have a chance for the foreseeable future.

How many games out of the #6 WC are we right now?

BroncoWave
09-30-2019, 06:19 PM
How many games out of the #6 WC are we right now?

Two

Poet
09-30-2019, 06:20 PM
Two

And if we beat Oakland...there's time to rally boys - John Elway, probably.

Hawgdriver
09-30-2019, 06:28 PM
Two

Right in the mix!

538 has us at 2% to make the playoffs!

Interesting to see how much our ELO has dropped in the last three years. After Siemian's injury the Broncos were at 4-0, 1690 ELO. After this loss to Jax to hit 0-4, Broncos are at 1395. 300 point swing. Oof.

Poet
09-30-2019, 06:39 PM
If I had known that my fandom would break the franchise, I wouldn't have done it. I'm sorry guys. I'm a curse.

Hawgdriver
09-30-2019, 06:41 PM
300 point swing. Oof.

Browns have gone up 200 points in the last year and a half.

Miami has gone down 150 points over the last year and a half, but three years ago they were back at 1350 or so, just like now.

Anyone wanna guess the only team that comes close to losing 300 ELO points over the last three years?

https://cdnph.upi.com/svc/sv/upi/4581522196185/2018/1/975890f430cf94b34f82268c7eb84256/Owners-approve-Mark-Davis-Oakland-Raiders-stadium-plan-for-Las-Vegas.jpg

UnderArmour
09-30-2019, 06:42 PM
I supported him when he wanted more money. We gave that to him. When we didn't have to, but we did and I thought that we should have. He has the right to say what he has on his mind, and I acknowledge that. I also have the right to say right back, kick rocks. What he said comes across as true, but so pointed that it's basically toxic. It would be great if we could keep him, and great if we had a deal that worked for both parties, but that ship has sailed. So, kick rocks.

Sure you have that right, but me personally as a supporter of the team I'm going to honor and respect a guy that has given nothing but his personal best and devoted his career to improving to help the Denver Broncos. Nothing I have seen on the field has ever suggested otherwise.

CHJ is a Ring of Fame player in my book. I have nothing but respect for him and what he has done on the field for this organization, and I don't personally care for these full scale meltdowns of "lol trade von he sucks" and "CHJ quit trade him" when they start to drag on beyond knee-jerk reactions to losses.

wayninja
09-30-2019, 06:53 PM
Sure you have that right, but me personally as a supporter of the team I'm going to honor and respect a guy that has given nothing but his personal best and devoted his career to improving to help the Denver Broncos. Nothing I have seen on the field has ever suggested otherwise.

CHJ is a Ring of Fame player in my book. I have nothing but respect for him and what he has done on the field for this organization, and I don't personally care for these full scale meltdowns of "lol trade von he sucks" and "CHJ quit trade him" when they start to drag on beyond knee-jerk reactions to losses.

It's not just what they say or even, ultimately, how they are playing. CHJ is going to be a free agent next year. There's cold-hard-business calculations that need to be made. What he says just lubricates that process.

Folks who are suggesting trading Von or CHJ aren't doing so out of some knee-jerk emotional response. There's really good, sound business reasons for looking at these things.

Poet
09-30-2019, 07:03 PM

I have respect for him - I wanted him to get paid in the offseason, so it's not like I hate him. In fact, I like him and value him more than Champ Bailey. My point is that right now he's acting like a child, and is acting toxic right now, so kick rocks. It's not a knee-jerk reaction to losing so much as a reaction to his reaction. I don't think you mean to mischaracterize my stance, but essentially you are. I have respect for what he's done too - this isn't a dichotomy.

UnderArmour
09-30-2019, 07:07 PM
I have respect for him - I wanted him to get paid in the offseason, so it's not like I hate him. In fact, I like him and value him more than Champ Bailey. My point is that right now he's acting like a child, and is acting toxic right now, so kick rocks. It's not a knee-jerk reaction to losing so much as a reaction to his reaction. I don't think you mean to mischaracterize my stance, but essentially you are. I have respect for what he's done too - this isn't a dichotomy.

This team is 0-4. He's not acting toxic because the guy gives his all for the team. The team on the field losing games is toxic.

Northman
09-30-2019, 07:08 PM
I can't blame him since I feel the same way as a fan. Watching this team feels like a chore.

I literally have zero interest in this team this year. I enjoy watching the rest of the NFL but when it comes to the Broncos this year its bland and uninspiring.

Poet
09-30-2019, 07:09 PM
This team is 0-4. He's not acting toxic because the guy gives his all for the team. The team on the field losing games is toxic.

His comments and actions look pretty toxic after the game. His demeanor and energy blows whenever I see him on camera. You're smarter than I am, so you're probably right.

wayninja
09-30-2019, 07:11 PM

It's a chicken and egg argument that's not really productive in the long run though. Whether he is justified or not is largely irrelevant. We still need to figure out what to do with him. Trading him now, if we can get good value, is a smart move IMO.

Northman
09-30-2019, 07:16 PM

You may feel differently when they decide to leave or.. you will just blame everyone else for them wanting to leave. I understand your sentiment i do but the days of players (for the most part) retiring with their original teams virtually nil. There is no loyalty anymore whether its the players to the organization or vice versa. Free agency has forever changed the landscape of that.

I Eat Staples
09-30-2019, 08:52 PM
If I had known that my fandom would break the franchise, I wouldn't have done it. I'm sorry guys. I'm a curse.

Cincy hasn't won either, so it doesn't look like there's any way to actually get rid of the curse.

I literally have zero interest in this team this year. I enjoy watching the rest of the NFL but when it comes to the Broncos this year its bland and uninspiring.

That's the worst part. I can handle losing but I hate how boring and hopeless the team is.

Poet
09-30-2019, 08:56 PM
Cincy hasn't won either, so it doesn't look like there's any way to actually get rid of the curse.

That's the worst part. I can handle losing but I hate how boring and hopeless the team is.

I think there will be residual Marvin Lewis on that team for awhile.

Staples, you're a good young man. You'll be a fine man some day.

Shazam!
09-30-2019, 09:16 PM
He gave Denver almost a decade of excellence and we loved him

Hes clearly going to be on the decline. He'll be like 32?

Minshew wasnt even afraid throwing in his direction.

No use paying a hellauva lotta money for him get what you can

Denver has voids all over the Roster Broncos gonna nees ton of new players

Nomad
09-30-2019, 09:21 PM
Whatever is best for the Denver Broncos.

LawDog
09-30-2019, 09:48 PM

You sure left the Bengals in a steaming pile of shitness.

Simple Jaded
10-01-2019, 01:13 AM
This is the last remnants of the SB50 leadership that has been completely toxic ever since, hard to blame him since ( aside from a few years of PFM) the defense has carried this team since Elway took over.

Elevation inc
10-01-2019, 01:17 AM
Listen, we all love the guy. He's been a great Bronco... But the time has come for both sides to move on. He wants to go get paid elsewhere, and his value is going to depreciate every week.

His latest tweet is interesting, if for no other reason than it obviously wasn't written by him -- clearly his agent. Anyone who follows CHJ knows he's never used so much punctuation.

/https://twitter.com/ChrisHarrisJr/status/1178785089959784448

Fangio said in his comments he was aware of Chris comments and would address it with him personally. I would imagine this is because of that conversation. As for trading Harris.....I don't disagree. He has been beloved here, is a bad ass and is just tired of the mediocrity. I cant blame him for wanting to move on I will always be a fan of the dude, hopefully he will come back and retire a bronco and get into the ring of fame....

Simple Jaded
10-01-2019, 01:49 AM
That locker room has been chaos for last couple years, in speaking with someone who’s seen multiple regimes/iterations of that locker room. “It’s a meat grinder”. Take that FWIW.

Elevation inc
10-01-2019, 03:18 AM
That locker room has been chaos for last couple years, in speaking with someone who’s seen multiple regimes/iterations of that locker room. “It’s a meat grinder”. Take that FWIW.

I agree whole heartedly with this. Underlying's of it started the SB year when Peyton and the offense were struggling bad. It blew up the TS year when the offense couldn't sustain drives.....its been a rift ever since.....No good leadership and vets to nip it down and first time coaches with far more to try and get ahead of and deal with then ego's and vets feelings.....

wayninja
10-01-2019, 09:52 AM

Sounds like a nightclub co-founded by Wave and Dave.

slim
10-01-2019, 12:42 PM
Yeah, time to move on. But damn if that's not a rough ending for the best CB in team history.

wayninja
10-01-2019, 12:44 PM
Yeah, time to move on. But damn if that's not a rough ending for the best CB in team history.

Best? Can he play safety?

Dreadnought
10-01-2019, 02:25 PM

I dunno about best, but CHJ is/was good enough that he is in the conversation. I'd go with Champ, Louis Wright, CHJ as top 3 though.

slim
10-01-2019, 02:38 PM
I dunno about best, but CHJ is/was good enough that he is in the conversation. I'd go with Champ, Louis Wright, CHJ as top 3 though.

In my hour of darkness Dread is standing right in front of me, speaking words of wisdom.....

Poet
10-01-2019, 02:46 PM
In my hour of darkness Dread is standing right in front of me, speaking words of wisdom.....

Let it be.

wayninja
10-01-2019, 02:55 PM
Keep that beatles shit in the lounge where it belongs!

Hawgdriver
10-01-2019, 03:01 PM
Keep that beatles shit in the lounge where it belongs!

Let it be.

MOtorboat
10-01-2019, 03:11 PM

Lulz.

Cugel
10-01-2019, 03:18 PM

This is why I don't expect Elway to trade Harris at all. The trade deadline will come and go and he'll still be on the team. Well past week 8 when the Broncos will be 2-6 or 1-7 (or God help us 0-8).

Von Miller would be another possibility, but he cannot be traded due to his enormous contract. Derek Wolfe also won't be back but he's injured and of negligible trade value. He just got into a facebook argument with Mark Schlereth over whether the defense is "soft." He insists they aren't.

But, the 269 yards rushing, over 150 of it after first contact with a defender says otherwise. They are 30th in the NFL right now, giving up 150 yards a game after 4 games. That's beyond horrible.

Think they miss Domata Pecko that big slab of beef right in the middle of the line?

Cugel
10-01-2019, 03:19 PM
Other trade possibilities might be Emannuel Sanders, but they might want to re-sign him to another contract after the season. He might not want to be back though.

Cugel
10-01-2019, 03:25 PM
Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post

Well, they could have re-signed him to a long term deal by now, but Elway being Elway they decided to give Kareem Jackson a 3 year $33 m contract with $23m guaranteed, and Bryce Callahan -who is worse by far than Harris a 3 year $21m contract instead of re-signing Harris to a long term deal.

Elway just keeps shooting himself in the foot all day long. Over and over. :tsk:

Buff
10-01-2019, 03:29 PM
This is why I don't expect Elway to trade Harris at all. The trade deadline will come and go and he'll still be on the team. Well past week 8 when the Broncos will be 2-6 or 1-7 (or God help us 0-8).

Von Miller would be another possibility, but he cannot be traded due to his enormous contract. Derek Wolfe also won't be back but he's injured and of negligible trade value. He just got into a facebook argument with Mark Schlereth over whether the defense is "soft." He insists they aren't.

But, the 269 yards rushing, over 150 of it after first contact with a defender says otherwise. They are 30th in the NFL right now, giving up 150 yards a game after 4 games. That's beyond horrible.

Think they miss Domata Pecko that big slab of beef right in the middle of the line?

I'm not going to fall into the trap of trashing great Broncos - but Wolfe and Harris have a sense of entitlement that I think is probably a little toxic. The last couple years they seem to be the first to call out teammates, and make a lot of splashy quotes with the media -- while not being very accountable themselves. Granted, CHJ has been among the best in the league - but it just feels like we've reached the end of this being a fruitful relationship with both of them.

I'm ready to turn the page and really commit to this rebuild.

That said - Emmanuel Sanders is the exact opposite of those two IMO. I think he's been the consummate professional and I wouldn't mind letting him retire as a Bronco.

Cugel
10-01-2019, 03:55 PM
I'm not going to fall into the trap of trashing great Broncos - but Wolfe and Harris have a sense of entitlement that I think is probably a little toxic. The last couple years they seem to be the first to call out teammates, and make a lot of splashy quotes with the media -- while not being very accountable themselves. Granted, CHJ has been among the best in the league - but it just feels like we've reached the end of this being a fruitful relationship with both of them.

That said - Emmanuel Sanders is the exact opposite of those two IMO. I think he's been the consummate professional and I wouldn't mind letting him retire as a Bronco.

Who is going to replace Chris Harris as the #1 CB in a pass-happy league? A rookie? Magically keep Bryce Callahan off IR for a full season? What's the plan?

Anybody they get in FA will be about as expensive and not near the player Harris was. But, he's undoubtedly tired of wasting his NFL career on this crappy team that Elway built.

Now the Broncos are facing a 3 year rebuilding effort (assuming they get someone who knows how to draft of course). Harris probably doesn't want any part of that.

But, it's not like the Broncos are going to have multiple first round picks like the Raiders got for Kalil Mack.

I honestly don't see the point of keeping Bryce Callahan and letting Harris go when the one they are keeping is useless and the one they are letting go is a top 10 CB.

Cugel
10-01-2019, 03:57 PM
The problem is they need about 10 first round draft picks just to fill all the holes at OL, DL, ILB, CB, QB, WR and TE.

They have needs just about every single position except OLB. And even at the position of their greatest strength, the 2018 Broncos OLB who's having the best 2019 season is unfortunately Shaquil Barrett and he's no longer here.

MOtorboat
10-01-2019, 04:07 PM
The problem is they need about 10 first round draft picks just to fill all the holes at OL, DL, ILB, CB, QB, WR and TE.

They have needs just about every single position except OLB. And even at the position of their greatest strength, the 2018 Broncos OLB who's having the best 2019 season is unfortunately Shaquil Barrett and he's no longer here.

No they don’t. They just need to not have second, third and fourth rounders who are off the team in two years. The talent gap isn’t so wide that only firsts will fix it. It’s not that bad. They need to draft better in the middle rounds.

BroncoWave
10-01-2019, 04:18 PM
No they don’t. They just need to not have second, third and fourth rounders who are off the team in two years. The talent gap isn’t so wide that only firsts will fix it. It’s not that bad. They need to draft better in the middle rounds.

Bingo. Poor drafting has destroyed this team. We were able to mask it during the Manning years when we could attract quality free agents to play with him, but now that we don't have that draw, the poor drafting and mediocre FA acquisitions are getting exposed badly.

Elevation inc
10-02-2019, 01:05 AM

Buff I agree I think its more then just those 2 in the LR though....I think the defense as a whole has a sense of entitlement and cancerous attitude and its been that way since they lost Demarcus ware. We lack leadership in the LR to hold players accountable and the offense vs defense shit is so petty. You either win or lose as a team....you can blame one side or the other but if your not picking your teammates up, you have no chemistry and team mindset and no leadership then were just a team of individuals and that's what we have right now to be honest.

Its time to turn over this roster especially on defense.....

Elevation inc
10-02-2019, 01:09 AM
Bingo. Poor drafting has destroyed this team. We were able to mask it during the Manning years when we could attract quality free agents to play with him, but now that we don't have that draw, the poor drafting and mediocre FA acquisitions are getting exposed badly.

Exactly, No FA really wants to come to a team with a shit record like we have since 2016, constant staff turnover and no playoffs unless they are chasing some contract were stupid enough to give them.....then throw in our 2013-2017 drafts on complete disastrous MCD like levels, and we are where we are.