PDA

View Full Version : Imaginary fun day! Glorious Rebuild Dreamscapes.

Hawgdriver
09-30-2019, 01:17 PM
I'm a dork, I know. Anyway, let's pretend the Broncos are back in contention in a few years. How does it happen?

Edmonton Bronco Fan
09-30-2019, 01:28 PM
Elway being fired and a GM being brought in who understands and realizes that this roster needs to be completely overhauled in almost every area. Someone who can begin drafting intelligently and competently while trading veterans on expiring contracts away to stockpile draftpicks in the next two drafts. Specifically 2021 with an eye on getting Trevor Lawrence.

Then we can begin building a coaching staff that realizes it's 2019, not 1969 and employ a gameplan that doesn't look out of time and place while giving young talent the chance to develop and flourish.

If Mr. B was still our owner and hadn't been afflicted with Alzheimers, we all know he would've already had Elway fired and we'd be well along in this process already.

Poet
09-30-2019, 01:29 PM
Hell yeah! Incoming massive post!

Hawgdriver
09-30-2019, 01:31 PM
Elway being fired and a GM being brought in who understands and realizes that this roster needs to be completely overhauled in almost every area. Someone who can begin drafting intelligently and competently.

Then we can begin building a coaching staff that realizes it's 2019, not 1969 and employ a gameplan that doesn't look out of time and place while giving young talent the chance to develop and flourish.

If Mr. B was still our owner and hadn't been afflicted with Alzheimers, we all know he would've already had Elway fired and we'd be well along in this process already.

Generally agree, although I think Elway might possess the ability to direct another turnaround.

What I think is more fun personally is pretending to be GM--who do you want to deal, what do you get? What picks would you pile up, which core pieces to move forward...what's the team identity? And so on.

Shazam!
09-30-2019, 01:31 PM
Elway isnt getting fired IMO but he made another mistake with a rookie HC

Need to re-evaluate the personnel and scouting dept first thing

Hawgdriver
09-30-2019, 01:32 PM
Elway isnt getting fired IMO but he made another mistake with a rookie HC

Need to re-evaluate the personnel and scouting dept first thing

Good call. How do you do this?

Dogfish, you have some thoughts?

MOtorboat
09-30-2019, 01:39 PM
So, I think this starts with identifying the players that could be involved in the next team that could be competing for a playoff spot. Who are those players?

Offense:
QB: Drew Lock
RB: Phillip Lindsay
WR: Courtland Sutton, DaeSean Hamilton, Diontae Spencer, Juwann Winfree (?)
TE: Noah Fant
OL: Dalton Risner

Defense
LB: Bradley Chubb, Von Miller (?)
DB: Justin Simmons, Will Parks

I think that’s your core.

BroncoWave
09-30-2019, 01:42 PM
The first thing we have to do is hit on a QB. Until that happens we're going nowhere fast.

Poet
09-30-2019, 01:42 PM
Step One – Face the harsh reality that we are nowhere near rebuilding. For far too long we have neglected positions that aren’t seen as pivotal. 3-4 defenses can get by without having great ILB’s, offenses can get by without meaningful TE depth and third WR’s. Look yourself in the mirror and admit that not only have you often failed to hit on the larger/sexier positions, but by failing to address the tertiary positions as a whole you’ve greatly weakened the team.
Step Two – Note that while resources have to be allocated to the major issues, the tertiary positions are in need of something more than bargain bin purchases. Yeah, you drafted Fant last year. That’s a nice start. A….start.

Step Two – Left tackle. Garrett Bolles can’t block anything other than success. If you have to draft one in the first round, you do it. If you have to break open the bank in FA, you do it. Lord knows rolling money over from year-to-year is the Elway way….and it should account for something. FFS, trade for one. Maybe you draft a couple guys who can play multiple spots and you sign/trade for an average LT. Just put the resources in it. We’re not looking for the next Walter Jones. We’re looking for a legitimate NFL starter.

Step Three – purge the veterans. Yes, including Von Miller. Yes, including CHJ. Yes, Wolfe. You take the best offer you can get, know that teams won’t offer top dollar because these guys are older, you’re clearly out of contention, and you don’t have bargaining power. That’s the reality of the situation. It’s a firesale for a reason. Hold your nose, grit up, and do it.
Step Four – Get a new head coach. I know this won’t be popular. I know a lot of you already hate me because I’m kind of negative. I get it. Here’s my point – you have a very old head coach who clearly isn’t that great. He’s based on defense. You have little young defensive talent. You will be relying on Lock, young offensive talent, or a first round QB, Sutton, Lindsay, Freeman, Fant….get the picture. Stop fighting modern NFL trends. You can still win with defense. But go in a direction of strength.

Also, the argument has often been that you can just get a good OC to fix the offense. Well, why doesn’t that argument work for the defense/DC as well? If the answer is just that you prefer defense then you don’t have an argument.

Step Four – Get that quarterback. In step two I noted you might have to draft a LT. The only exception to that position is if there’s a god tier Qb available. I love Lock. I beat the drum for Lock months before the last season ended. I think he clearly has round one talent. I think he clearly has a huge work ethic, and he’s a good young man. I believe in him. However, he’s a really good talent…and if there’s that top tier monster talent, that generational talent…that…shining beacon of hope….you go with hope…even over a LT, even over Lock.

Step Five – Hire me to run your PR office. I need money, bitches.

Hawgdriver
09-30-2019, 01:43 PM
The first thing we have to do is hit on a QB. Until that happens we're going nowhere fast.

And even before that, we need to know what we are looking for, and how to know when we see it. This means an offensive mind that knows what capabilities are req'd at the position, and an objective way to measure it in a prospect.

Poet
09-30-2019, 01:45 PM
And even before that, we need to know what we are looking for, and how to know when we see it. This means an offensive mind that knows what capabilities are req'd at the position, and an objective way to measure it in a prospect.

Someone get Shanahan into our scouting department. He was a bad GM, but he knew enough and saw enough in players that it was more of him doing TOO much than him being unable to do anything.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
09-30-2019, 01:48 PM
Generally agree, although I think Elway might possess the ability to direct another turnaround.

What I think is more fun personally is pretending to be GM--who do you want to deal, what do you get? What picks would you pile up, which core pieces to move forward...what's the team identity? And so on.

Got to test the waters and see what type of returns Manny, Harris, Wolfe and, I'm hesitant to even entertain it, Von, could return. If someone is willing to break the bank and give you an offer too good to refuse for Miller I think you have to think about taking it at this point.

Set your focus on the 2021 draft for returns on the vets, see if you can stockpile enough picks to move up to number 1 in the event you need to snag Trevor Lawrence. Focus on ILB's, OT's and OG's in the 2020 draft, SS, FS and CB too.

I think you hit on a big issue though, right now the culture around this team is toxic and we have no identity whatsoever. The vets seem to have had enough and are contributing to that. I don't blame them but at this point there really isn't anyone I'd not be willing to part with except for Lindsay, Chubb and Sutton. We don't have much of a non-expendable core that will be instrumental in shaping the future of this team beyond that.

Poet
09-30-2019, 01:49 PM
I cannot urge this anymore - we have to get over this romanticized notion of defense wins championships, ergo we must be a defensive team. Presuppositions have to go out the window.

Hawgdriver
09-30-2019, 01:52 PM
I think you hit on a big issue though, right now the culture around this team is toxic and we have no identity whatsoever. The vets seem to have had enough and are contributing to that. I don't blame them ...

I hadn't thought that deep about it, but you are right--that's an important part of the process. A clear statement of vision and identity about the team. Actions that reflect it. Then everyone can move in that same direction.

Some of the vets might need a change of scenery for both the team mental health and that player's own ambitions and goals.

underrated29
09-30-2019, 02:03 PM
If I am Elway today I do this:

1. I see what I can get for Flacco, Sanders, Harris, Wolfe, basically anyone on the Dline not shelby or vance. Von and Chubb are not on the block either. If there is anything that will amount to a 3rd or higher I am likely to pull the trigger.

2. I inform the coaching staff that Lock will need to be the starter the rest of the season, all coaches jobs will be secured this year regardless of record (unless I find someone better, but this years performance will not be reflected upon those decisions). I want to see them get lock prepped and ready to roll.

3. Assuming we can trade of Sanders and maybe a few others- I also want to see Juwann winfree playing more ( I like him!)

4. I presume we draft top 5. If lock shows enough promise then I try and trade down from pick 3 or so to pick 6 or so. Then I also try and trade from 6 or so to 11ish....Now I have my ammo for next years trevor Lawerence should Lock suck balls as a starter for 2020.

My picks, We need at least 2 starting DBs, We need at least 1 ILB, we need a LT, we need a NT. If around 11 ish there is a LT. Hes mine! if not I will look at a DB. Elway is great at drafting defense. And he has done a great job the past two drafts, so I will continue to be very confident that he and the scouts will find the right players that they want.

Next season- I have no clue who the FA will be, but I am doubling down on OT, ILB, NT and DB. I will be signing a few of those guys in FA also.

We start lock and see how he does. If he sucks I have the bad record and ammo for Trevor. If he does admirably well, I have enough picks to fill in around lock with whatever the 2020 season shows us to be lacking. Maybe we did get a LT, but still need DB help. Then with my multiple 1sts I am going DBs, if we have LT and dbs, but need NT and ILB- then that is where I go! I would also look at a Saftey too. Kareem is older. Need some young blood coming in.

For now, I trade the older expensive vets, aside from von and the kicker and see how well lock performs with a season adn a half as a starter. Oh, ron leary- hes a goner too!

HORSEPOWER 56
09-30-2019, 02:05 PM
Elway being fired and a GM being brought in who understands and realizes that this roster needs to be completely overhauled in almost every area. Someone who can begin drafting intelligently and competently while trading veterans on expiring contracts away to stockpile draftpicks in the next two drafts. Specifically 2021 with an eye on getting Trevor Lawrence.

It sounds nice, but you do realize there’s like 3 or 4 guys in the entire league who can do what you’re outlining here? I don’t think they’re currently out of work and looking for a job. It sounds great to say “fire x and hire someone who can do a better job”, but the reality is that it’s about the hardest thing to do.

Let’s be completely and totally honest here, Pat was a great man but we weren’t exactly the most dominant franchise in the league even when he was 100%. Plenty of problems with our rosters and coaches. We were never doormats, but we weren’t a dynasty either unless it was at losing Super Bowls and wasting our elite QB’s best years surrounding him with bad drafts and shitty players that he had to carry to playoffs and Superbowls to get embarrassed 55-10...

What I’m saying is, it seems the organization is trying to right the ship while still being competitive enough to appease the fan base into still buying tickets. If Elway, or any GM came out and traded Von and CHJ and blew up the roster straight out telling the fans that the Broncos will suck this year, do you think we’d still sell out games? Would the fans even show up? How’s it working in Miami this year where they’re doing just that? Some of us on this MB understand the long game but most fans (probably 80% that buy tickets and go to the stadium every week) don’t.

The worst part is that blowing up the team and rebuilding actually guarantees absolute jack shit. If we knew it would work, great. Let’s say we follow your “plan” right up to getting Lawrence and he turns out to be another Paxton Lynch? Draft picks are the worst kind of risk because when they bomb, they set your team back years.

I appreciate the emotion and the want of something better, but we can’t just fire, cut, trade everyone every time shit don’t work out. That’s what the perennially bad teams do. This ship will get righted. It’s just gonna be another long year of growing pains for a new staff and the fan base. Maybe Elway and Fangio can right the ship and get us turned around later in the season going into next year. Maybe not. Maybe Lock will become “the guy”. Maybe not. I’m as pissed at the team’s performance as anyone but I just don’t see that there’s anything we can do until this season plays out.

MOtorboat
09-30-2019, 02:05 PM
Flacco isn’t getting traded because Lock can’t play for at least two more weeks.

underrated29
09-30-2019, 02:15 PM
Flacco isn’t getting traded because Lock can’t play for at least two more weeks.

Lets be honest. Flacco is not oging to be traded for anyway. But if by some miracle he were to be traded, I mean by week 9 at the earliest. I figrued that was kinda self explanitory.
Also, if we were able to get anything for him better than a 4th then just trade him at any point. Today even.

Hawgdriver
09-30-2019, 02:34 PM
My picks, We need at least 2 starting DBs, We need at least 1 ILB, we need a LT, we need a NT. If around 11 ish there is a LT. Hes mine! if not I will look at a DB. Elway is great at drafting defense. And he has done a great job the past two drafts, so I will continue to be very confident that he and the scouts will find the right players that they want.

What about Callahan?

Anyway, def agree on some of the pieces we need. I like the idea of maxxing out your picks #20--#70. There are many holes to fill, and much depth required. Unless you have a top 3-5 pick and then you get your next Von or QB if you know how to use him.

I'd be fine if they were 2021 picks, too, we ain't turning this thing around in a year. Maybe get some draft equity from our ability to wait a year.

MOtorboat
09-30-2019, 02:42 PM
Lets be honest. Flacco is not oging to be traded for anyway. But if by some miracle he were to be traded, I mean by week 9 at the earliest. I figrued that was kinda self explanitory.
Also, if we were able to get anything for him better than a 4th then just trade him at any point. Today even.

Frankly, Elway and Fangio don’t seem like the management team that’s going to play a young quarterback much at all when they have Flacco.

Buff
09-30-2019, 02:43 PM
Step #1 - Trade CHJ this week. Like, tomorrow. He is a depreciating asset who loses value with each passing week, and the dude ain't coming back next year. That's priority #1.

I'll get back to you on the rest of it...

Hawgdriver
09-30-2019, 02:45 PM
It sounds nice, but you do realize there’s like 3 or 4 guys in the entire league who can do what you’re outlining here? I don’t think they’re currently out of work and looking for a job. It sounds great to say “fire x and hire someone who can do a better job”, but the reality is that it’s about the hardest thing to do.

Someone needs to say this. I'm fine with VJ being gone, but always thought that it's easier fantasized than actualized--getting your guy. And it's not like you know he's the guy until a long ways down the road.

Bill Walsh was 8-24 two seasons into the NFL. It worked out ok.

BroncoWave
09-30-2019, 02:50 PM
Step #1 - Trade CHJ this week. Like, tomorrow. He is a depreciating asset who loses value with each passing week, and the dude ain't coming back next year. That's priority #1.

If we can get a third or better for him, absolutely. Otherwise, might as well keep him and hope we get a third round comp pick when he leaves.

Hawgdriver
09-30-2019, 02:52 PM

Maybe Elway should fire himself out of respect for Mr. B?

Or maybe he should pull out some 4th quarter GM stuff, right the ship, and sail off, handing the reins to Peyton...

Imaginary fun day!!

MOtorboat
09-30-2019, 02:53 PM

Plus: “13 more weeks.”

Sorry, get him gone.

underrated29
09-30-2019, 03:04 PM
Someone needs to say this. I'm fine with VJ being gone, but always thought that it's easier fantasized than actualized--getting your guy. And it's not like you know he's the guy until a long ways down the road.

Bill Walsh was 8-24 two seasons into the NFL. It worked out ok.

Yep. That is why I would keep the entire coaching staff. All of them and Id let them know they are safe. Obviously we still want to see develpoment and improvements, but by trading away vets and forcing a rook QB upon them, that would be considered.

Fangio needs a year to build his Defense. Our guys do not fit it the best. That is on him to make that happen, but at this point, his D has proven. Lets just build it his way. The defense aside from RUN D which is god awful and consistent pressure is actually shaping up pretty well. A player or two and some familiarization.

Buff
09-30-2019, 03:06 PM
Plus: “13 more weeks.”

Sorry, get him gone.

Yeah, he's toxic at this point - and leading the finger pointing in the locker room. Which on some level I can understand how frustrating this has probably been for him to see the decline of the No Fly Zone... But this relationship has run its course.

underrated29
09-30-2019, 03:08 PM
What about Callahan?

Keep him! He is young and really good!!
We need at least 3 young good CBs imo. He is 1. If we can draft another high this year or next, along with one of the others stepping up.

Hawgdriver
09-30-2019, 03:41 PM
Keep him! He is young and really good!!
We need at least 3 young good CBs imo. He is 1. If we can draft another high this year or next, along with one of the others stepping up.

yeah, ok...I think Bausby is a passable #2/slot, maybe Kareem back at CB, anyways, never enough talent at DB, but maybe it's a lower priority in my book than ILB and NT.

BroncoWave
09-30-2019, 03:47 PM
yeah, ok...I think Bausby is a passable #2/slot, maybe Kareem back at CB, anyways, never enough talent at DB, but maybe it's a lower priority in my book than ILB and NT.

Bausby looks like a nice hidden gem. Which is nice since Yiadom has been such a massive bust.

It's really amazing how Elway has seemed to find more studs at the end of the draft/udfa than he has in the first 3 rounds of the draft.

BroncoNut
09-30-2019, 04:33 PM
I'm a dork, I know. Anyway, let's pretend the Broncos are back in contention in a few years. How does it happen?

you're not a dork. the more I think about this I think we just need to restructure everything from the top down. I like this kid out of Iowa at DE in next years draft. some Italian outta the Chicago suburbs. also think that we should pick up a safety in the FA and fire Fangio.

BroncoJoe
09-30-2019, 05:26 PM
Step One – Face the harsh reality that we are nowhere near rebuilding. For far too long we have neglected positions that aren’t seen as pivotal. 3-4 defenses can get by without having great ILB’s, offenses can get by without meaningful TE depth and third WR’s. Look yourself in the mirror and admit that not only have you often failed to hit on the larger/sexier positions, but by failing to address the tertiary positions as a whole you’ve greatly weakened the team.
Step Two – Note that while resources have to be allocated to the major issues, the tertiary positions are in need of something more than bargain bin purchases. Yeah, you drafted Fant last year. That’s a nice start. A….start.

Step Two – Left tackle. Garrett Bolles can’t block anything other than success. If you have to draft one in the first round, you do it. If you have to break open the bank in FA, you do it. Lord knows rolling money over from year-to-year is the Elway way….and it should account for something. FFS, trade for one. Maybe you draft a couple guys who can play multiple spots and you sign/trade for an average LT. Just put the resources in it. We’re not looking for the next Walter Jones. We’re looking for a legitimate NFL starter.

Step Three – purge the veterans. Yes, including Von Miller. Yes, including CHJ. Yes, Wolfe. You take the best offer you can get, know that teams won’t offer top dollar because these guys are older, you’re clearly out of contention, and you don’t have bargaining power. That’s the reality of the situation. It’s a firesale for a reason. Hold your nose, grit up, and do it.
Step Four – Get a new head coach. I know this won’t be popular. I know a lot of you already hate me because I’m kind of negative. I get it. Here’s my point – you have a very old head coach who clearly isn’t that great. He’s based on defense. You have little young defensive talent. You will be relying on Lock, young offensive talent, or a first round QB, Sutton, Lindsay, Freeman, Fant….get the picture. Stop fighting modern NFL trends. You can still win with defense. But go in a direction of strength.

Also, the argument has often been that you can just get a good OC to fix the offense. Well, why doesn’t that argument work for the defense/DC as well? If the answer is just that you prefer defense then you don’t have an argument.

Step Four – Get that quarterback. In step two I noted you might have to draft a LT. The only exception to that position is if there’s a god tier Qb available. I love Lock. I beat the drum for Lock months before the last season ended. I think he clearly has round one talent. I think he clearly has a huge work ethic, and he’s a good young man. I believe in him. However, he’s a really good talent…and if there’s that top tier monster talent, that generational talent…that…shining beacon of hope….you go with hope…even over a LT, even over Lock.

tl;dr

Step Six - commit suicide

(just kidding, my friend)

Have you pondered your allegiance choices? You were a fan of a failed team, and ever since you became a Broncos fan, we've sucked! Please, start rooting for another franchise!

(just kidding again, my friend)

Poet
09-30-2019, 06:20 PM
To be fair to your post, I probably am the harbinger of doom. I'm sorry I broke the Broncos. I just wanted to root for a team with my friends.

)=

Hawgdriver
09-30-2019, 06:42 PM
Your a dick Joe!

Poet
09-30-2019, 07:04 PM
Your a dick Joe!

I am a bit of a burden. It's okay. I am a curse.

It is now time for me to leave. I shall be back, as always.

MOtorboat
09-30-2019, 07:07 PM
Your a dick Joe!

•you’re

BroncoWave
09-30-2019, 07:16 PM
•you’re

Yore*

UnderArmour
09-30-2019, 07:18 PM
Broncos get back into contention by drafting the best player available in the next draft, who is ideally an ILB or a LT. Danny Trevathan is a free agent, so maybe Elway goes out and brings him back. I think if the team adds talent at LT, G or C, ILB, CB, and WR it can contend.

ILB right now is the most glaring need for contention assuming the Broncos stick with Fangio.

MOtorboat
09-30-2019, 07:19 PM
Yore*

*Yule

Nomad
09-30-2019, 09:06 PM
Your a dick Joe!

What’s a dick Joe? :D

Hawgdriver
09-30-2019, 11:23 PM
•you’re

tasteful symbology!

Elevation inc
10-01-2019, 02:02 AM
Today I start with seeing what I can get for guys like Wolfe, Gotsis, Sanders, and Chris Harris. I hold onto Von, with the Chubb injury. We start lock at least the last 4 gams of the season on the present course. Dump Flacco in the Off-season and get a another QB in the draft if needed or a much cheaper back-up.

Then on Offense we need another strong starting player in draft or FA for: LT, RG, TE, and WR. Dump booker as guys like him are a dime a dozen.

On defense blow it the f'up the psyche is horrible and we need new players across the board here. I would pretty much keep Shelby, Jones and maybe Walker at DE and address this position. Find a true 2 gap NT for our scheme and a back-up. Do not bring back Wolfe or Gotsis. At OLB ride with Von and Chubb and maybe Malik reed will show with Hollins if were good here (we will see what they are about with the chubb injury it seems). AT ILB we need 3 new guys here. Davis is hated on here but is actually a pretty good 3-4 backer. He consistently grades well against the run and is also better in coverage last 2 years. However, we need a elite ILB next to him or some one with Trevathan traits at a min.....find legit back-ups as well here. At safety I think you keep Simmons and Parks and Jackson, however while I like parks if he has tackling issues like he did against the jags, and he cant fix it we need to move on and address this position in the draft and FA. At CB I expect Harris to not be here next year, leaving Calhan who is a unknown as the top guy. This is a huge hole. Bausby is the only back-up with talent at the moment, but yiadom can serve as a #4 back-up.

For special teams I don't like wadman. he is to inconsistent even punting at mile high get a new punter, McManus is safe to me and I like Spencer at returner as well.......using booker at KR is just dumb as well he sucks.....

If we do all of this right and draft like we did the last 2 years, with smarter FA decisions you could be looking at a wild card team next year and a Contender the following year. This requires a lot of pride swallowing however from Elway and company and I'm not sure he or they can do that. We shall wait and see.

Hawgdriver
10-01-2019, 02:06 AM
Today I start with seeing what I can get for guys like Wolfe, Gotsis, Sanders, and Chris Harris. I hold onto Von, with the Chubb injury. We start lock at least the last 4 gams of the season on the present course. Dump Flacco in the Off-season and get a another QB in the draft if needed or a much cheaper back-up.

Then on Offense we need another strong starting player in draft or FA for: LT, RG, TE, and WR. Dump booker as guys like him are a dime a dozen.

On defense blow it the f'up the psyche is horrible and we need new players across the board here. I would pretty much keep Shelby, Jones and maybe Walker at DE and address this position. Find a true 2 gap NT for our scheme and a back-up. Do not bring back Wolfe or Gotsis. At OLB ride with Von and Chubb and maybe Malik reed will show with Hollins if were good here (we will see what they are about with the chubb injury it seems). AT ILB we need 3 new guys here. Davis is hated on here but is actually a pretty good 3-4 backer. He consistently grades well against the run and is also better in coverage last 2 years. However, we need a elite ILB next to him or some one with Trevathan traits at a min.....find legit back-ups as well here. At safety I think you keep Simmons and Parks and Jackson, however while I like parks if he has tackling issues like he did against the jags, and he cant fix it we need to move on and address this position in the draft and FA. At CB I expect Harris to not be here next year, leaving Calhan who is a unknown as the top guy. This is a huge hole. Bausby is the only back-up with talent at the moment, but yiadom can serve as a #4 back-up.

For special teams I don't like wadman. he is to inconsistent even punting at mile high get a new punter, McManus is safe to me and I like Spencer at returner as well.......using booker at KR is just dumb as well he sucks.....

If we do all of this right and draft like we did the last 2 years, with smarter FA decisions you could be looking at a wild card team next year and a Contender the following year. This requires a lot of pride swallowing however from Elway and company and I'm not sure he or they can do that. We shall wait and see.

Why not Gotsis? He's been a run penetrator at times... I don't see him fetching a massive 2d contract. You always look to improve...but isn't he ok for the moment? Kind of an adequate placeholder?

Simple Jaded
10-01-2019, 02:11 AM

High five for everything but trading Von.

Btw, you have two “Step two”s.

Edit; did you go Captain Kirk on us there at the end? “That ... shining beacon ... of hope ... you go ... with the hope. I’ve ... got to ... Mr!”

Simple Jaded
10-01-2019, 02:14 AM
you're not a dork. the more I think about this I think we just need to restructure everything from the top down. I like this kid out of Iowa at DE in next years draft. some Italian outta the Chicago suburbs. also think that we should pick up a safety in the FA and fire Fangio.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/prospect-rankings

AJ Epenesa.

Elevation inc
10-01-2019, 02:16 AM
Why not Gotsis? He's been a run penetrator at times... I don't see him fetching a massive 2d contract. You always look to improve...but isn't he ok for the moment? Kind of an adequate placeholder?

He offers zero pass rush and gets washed out way to much against the run....Him and Wolfe both have been issues the last 2 years, but it wasn't as bad as Peko was straight dominant against the run.......its even worse now with Harris next to them who we are playing at Nose but has the skill set of Malik Jackson.

Valar Morghulis
10-02-2019, 01:47 AM
I would call Andrew Luck

dogfish
10-02-2019, 12:58 PM
Good call. How do you do this?

Dogfish, you have some thoughts?

not sure i wanna mess with them after the last two drafts, honestly. . . i think i'd give them a mandate to stop giving big money to broken guys in free agency, and leave well enough alone. . .

my first move would be to release bryce callahan with an injury settlement. . . then sit down with chris harris and his agent, and see if we can sign him to a big extension with the largest chunk coming this year, plus a no-trade clause. . . if he's not down, get him on the trade block ASAP. . . i'm bringing lock and patrick back from IR. . . lock needs to start the minute he's eligible-- figuring out the QB situation is the number one priority, and that starts with getting an extended look at drew before we go into the draft. . .

this is the core i'm planning on going forward with, at least for the next couple of years. . .

offense; drew lock, dalton risner, connor mcgovern, ja'wuan james, eli wilkinson if coach munchak wants him, philip lindsay, royce freeman, andy janovich, noah fant, courtland sutton, tim patrick, juwann winfree, and potentially muhammad and jeff IRmann

special teams; brandon mcmanus, casey kreiter, joe jones, diontae spencer

defense; dre'mont jones, demarcus walker, shelby harris/adam gotsis if coach kollar wants them, von miller, bradley chubb, justin hollins, malik reed, devante bausby, justin simmons, will parks

joe flacco, emmanuel sanders, ja'wuan james, devontae booker, ron leary, derek wolfe, todd davis and kareem jackson are all going on the trade block with chris. . . i want a 3rd for harris and a 4th for sanders-- i'll take a 2025 conditional 7th for any of the rest. . .

beyond that, i'm praying for good play from lock-- and hoping munchak can bring the O-line together. . . if lock's not the guy, you target tua or fromm in the draft. . . if you believe in lock, finding another O-tackle and rebuilding the defensive backfield are the top priorities. . . and finding a legit middle LB is next on the list. . . we'll realistically need to go after the top corners in free agency, and possibly a nosetackle, a second TE, and a capable slot receiver. . . but i'm mostly good with our young backs and receivers developing alongside a young QB. . .

my model for a quick rebuild is a team like seattle or philly. . . athletic QB in a balanced, diversified offense (hopefully with a solid O-line and run game), and a fast, aggressive defense built around high end corners and pass rushers. . . my dream rebuild would be lock showing that he's the guy, then spending our top ten pick next year on a blue chip left tackle or corner. . . explore scenarios to move back, trade any vets we can, and acquire as many picks as possible in rounds 2-5. . . invest heavily in the lines and the secondary, and spend one of our higher picks on a rangey ILB. . . i do think we're gonna need a starting corner from free agency, but the draft is ultimately the key-- bad drafting is mostly what got us into this mess, and more drafts like the last two are what will get us out. . . that, and fangio pulling his head out of his ass. . .

:defense:

Hawgdriver
10-02-2019, 01:12 PM
Dogfish delivers the goods!

Now if we can summon G...

:darkarts:

MOtorboat
10-02-2019, 01:14 PM
Lock being a guy solves a lot. He absolutely needs to play this season. Flacco was such a waste of time.

slim
10-02-2019, 01:23 PM
Lock being a guy solves a lot. He absolutely needs to play this season. Flacco was such a waste of time.

When the broken-hearted people living in the world agree, there will be an answer....

MOtorboat
10-02-2019, 01:23 PM
When the broken-hearted people living in the world agree, there will be an answer....

Let it beeee!

BroncoJoe
10-02-2019, 02:30 PM
Lock being a guy solves a lot.

Is he gender confused or something?

MOtorboat
10-02-2019, 03:01 PM
Is he gender confused or something?

Lol.

Poet
10-02-2019, 03:33 PM
We are hurting Lock and any QBotF if our HC isn't based on offense.

Valar Morghulis
10-02-2019, 03:42 PM
We are hurting Lock and any QBotF if our HC isn't based on offense.

I disagree.

Bellicheat does not hurt brady.

We are failing any qb if we don't offensively scheme to the strengths of our personnel - regardless of what side of the ball our head coach is more famliar with

Hawgdriver
10-02-2019, 03:46 PM
Let it beeee!

Shine until tomorrow!

MOtorboat
10-02-2019, 03:55 PM
Shine until tomorrow!

I was told that line doesn’t exist in that song.

:coffee:

Hawgdriver
10-02-2019, 03:56 PM
I was told that line doesn’t exist in that song.

:coffee:

Probably invented by the same people who invented twerking!

BroncoWave
10-02-2019, 03:57 PM
Cool, let's see if Mo can get uppity about the Beetles in every thread this week.

Hawgdriver
10-02-2019, 03:59 PM
Cool, let's see if Mo can get uppity about the Beetles in every thread this week.

*Beatles

:smack:

BroncoWave
10-02-2019, 04:01 PM
*Beatles

:smack:

(I know. I'm trying to induce midget rage)

BroncoJoe
10-02-2019, 04:09 PM
It's been a hard day's night. And I've been working like a dog.

MOtorboat
10-02-2019, 04:11 PM
(I know. I'm trying to induce midget rage)

The Broncos section spillover is all slim’s fault.

dogfish
10-02-2019, 04:13 PM
Now if we can summon G...

:darkarts:

my thoughts exactly-- we need him and coach in the worst way. . .

send up the bat signal, brother hawg. . .

I disagree.

We are failing any qb if we don't offensively scheme to the strengths of our personnel - regardless of what side of the ball our head coach is more famliar with

pete carroll hasn't exactly stunted rus wilson, either. . . end of the day, a good HC is a good HC. . . i admittedly would have preferred the younger offensive mind for the rebuild-- but fangio is who we've got, so fangio is who we need to get it done with. . . no more firing coaches every damn year, you completely sabotage yourself with that shit. . . i'm not disappointed with skanks to this point-- as a first-timer, he's getting about what he should out of the personnel on hand. . . gotta give munchak some time (and another off-season's worth of talent) to do what he do. . . fant needs time to develop, as well-- if he can blossom in year two the way sutton is now, that gives us a nice set of mismatch weapons, along with lindsay out of the backfield. . .

Poet
10-02-2019, 04:14 PM
If you need G summoned, I can make it happen.

Poet
10-02-2019, 04:17 PM
I disagree.

Brady wasn't asked to learn to carry a team quickly like Lock will be. Neither was Russell Wilson, or a young Big Ben. All of them had great defenses/defensive talents, easy divisions at the time, and strong to solid lines.

We can deal with some of those variables. Not all of them. We can't change that the division is hard, nor will we be able to get back to a top notch defense/strong line immediately. So you have to do whatever else you can to help your QB. An offense based HC is one of those things.

JMO.

Hawgdriver
10-02-2019, 05:42 PM
The Broncos section spillover is all slim’s fault.

fact

Hawgdriver
10-02-2019, 05:43 PM
___________________________ is all slim’s fault.

Oh, and I fixed your post.

Hawgdriver
10-02-2019, 05:44 PM
If you need G summoned, I can make it happen.

I think he'd enjoy the topic.

slim
10-02-2019, 09:25 PM
Oh, and I fixed your post.

Yeah, everyone pick on the fat kid.

MOtorboat
10-02-2019, 09:34 PM
Yeah, everyone pick on the fat kid.

Ok.

G_Money
10-02-2019, 10:44 PM
Did I see the bat signal?

Poet
10-02-2019, 10:53 PM
Drop that knowledge.

Poet
10-02-2019, 10:56 PM
Oh, and we still need to get our QBotF an offensive head coach to pair him with. This isn't a typical firing after one year because you're dysfunctional. It's just admitting you ****** up with Fangio, and playing 2019 football. Defense is still a half of the game, but it's time to get a real QB and build on him. Actually do it - don't half ass it. DO IT. You can't really do it in our circumstance with a defensive HC.

G_Money
10-02-2019, 11:11 PM
Denver's in playoff contention if they hit on a QB. They need Lock to be healthy this year so they can see how he is. Maybe they wind up with a Brees/Rivers scenario if they wind up drafting top-3 in this draft and have to take a QB. That'd be all right. But they need the QB.

They also need to stop paying all their FA money to broken wristwatches and keep some of their hits in the draft/UDFA. Trevathan and Shaq killing it on other squads does not help things. They invested HEAVILY in weapons for their offense so it would be nice if those weapons panned out. A lot can be fixed by finding a LT so honestly being awful this year and getting Andrew Thomas would help a LOT. But that would require them to really believe in Lock, enough to pass on a QB or two if they're drafting top-3. Knowing the Broncos they'll screw it up and draft 7th.

Normally I would not want to play Lock behind an OL that might get him hurt, but they have to see him this year. Have to. So:

1) Lock is The Man and Denver rides with him, losing a lot this year but getting the picture of their guy.
2) Denver's offensive weapons work out. There are a lot of them.
3) Denver drafts the correct OT with a top-5 pick in 2020.
4) the Broncos actually get their fundamentals right on defense. Also, they need another corner so pray for that children.
5) Chubb comes back as a healthy monster and Denver deploys its pass rush correctly. They also need a pressure DT, but let's not get carried away yet.
6) The Broncos shoot their ILBs into the sun and get someone w speed and tackling ability to stop the gaping hole in the middle of the D that they can't fill w safeties either.

But Denver needs depth, better schemes, more improvement from awkward, angry rustbuckets like Bolles and for their young players to actually get better. They need their coaches to stop coaching like its youth league, and to get inventive. I don't care about their age - Wade Philips is no spring chicken, but he can keep up with modern football. The problem Fangio has with delegating his defense is the same one Wade had, and why Wade was a terrible head coach. You can't get someone better than you to do the job you WERE doing when you got promoted.

I don't know how you get Vic back coaching an A+ defense, but it would be nice to have a better offensive mind than Scangarello learning on the job for the other half of the equation.

The issue is that Elway doesn't want anyone else to get credit, IMO. And I can't really see that changing. So the change that really needs to happen for a rebuild to be completed successfully is for Elway to invest in people with whom he can share his success. Elway needs to be less Elway and more Bowlen.

So let's just start with Lock being amazing and go from there, yeah?

Elevation inc
10-03-2019, 02:31 AM
Denver's in playoff contention if they hit on a QB. They need Lock to be healthy this year so they can see how he is. Maybe they wind up with a Brees/Rivers scenario if they wind up drafting top-3 in this draft and have to take a QB. That'd be all right. But they need the QB.

They also need to stop paying all their FA money to broken wristwatches and keep some of their hits in the draft/UDFA. Trevathan and Shaq killing it on other squads does not help things. They invested HEAVILY in weapons for their offense so it would be nice if those weapons panned out. A lot can be fixed by finding a LT so honestly being awful this year and getting Andrew Thomas would help a LOT. But that would require them to really believe in Lock, enough to pass on a QB or two if they're drafting top-3. Knowing the Broncos they'll screw it up and draft 7th.

Normally I would not want to play Lock behind an OL that might get him hurt, but they have to see him this year. Have to. So:

1) Lock is The Man and Denver rides with him, losing a lot this year but getting the picture of their guy.
2) Denver's offensive weapons work out. There are a lot of them.
3) Denver drafts the correct OT with a top-5 pick in 2020.
4) the Broncos actually get their fundamentals right on defense. Also, they need another corner so pray for that children.
5) Chubb comes back as a healthy monster and Denver deploys its pass rush correctly. They also need a pressure DT, but let's not get carried away yet.
6) The Broncos shoot their ILBs into the sun and get someone w speed and tackling ability to stop the gaping hole in the middle of the D that they can't fill w safeties either.

But Denver needs depth, better schemes, more improvement from awkward, angry rustbuckets like Bolles and for their young players to actually get better. They need their coaches to stop coaching like its youth league, and to get inventive. I don't care about their age - Wade Philips is no spring chicken, but he can keep up with modern football. The problem Fangio has with delegating his defense is the same one Wade had, and why Wade was a terrible head coach. You can't get someone better than you to do the job you WERE doing when you got promoted.

I don't know how you get Vic back coaching an A+ defense, but it would be nice to have a better offensive mind than Scangarello learning on the job for the other half of the equation.

The issue is that Elway doesn't want anyone else to get credit, IMO. And I can't really see that changing. So the change that really needs to happen for a rebuild to be completed successfully is for Elway to invest in people with whom he can share his success. Elway needs to be less Elway and more Bowlen.

So let's just start with Lock being amazing and go from there, yeah?

OT- Andrew Thomas
CB- Jeff Okudah or Paulson Adebo
ILB- No legit top 15 prospect right now in rd 1. Rd 2 might be the way to go could change by seasons end though.
DL- Derrick brown or AJ Epenensa

I anticipate picking around 6 or 7 unless we go on some 2017 chargers run or something. If that's the case and We don't move up for Tua or need him because we like Lock, Then DL Derrick Brown or OT Andrew Thomas make the most sense with CB Okudah a back-up option depending on what happens with Harris and the season. Lots of variables and its early....

Personally we get Lock going and have another strong draft and good smart FA haul and I'm with G.....Were back in playoff contention.

Simple Jaded
10-03-2019, 11:26 PM
OT- Andrew Thomas
CB- Jeff Okudah or Paulson Adebo
ILB- No legit top 15 prospect right now in rd 1. Rd 2 might be the way to go could change by seasons end though.
DL- Derrick brown or AJ Epenensa

I anticipate picking around 6 or 7 unless we go on some 2017 chargers run or something. If that's the case and We don't move up for Tua or need him because we like Lock, Then DL Derrick Brown or OT Andrew Thomas make the most sense with CB Okudah a back-up option depending on what happens with Harris and the season. Lots of variables and its early....

Personally we get Lock going and have another strong draft and good smart FA haul and I with G.....Were back in playoff contention.

The Clemson LB could fit at ILB, Isaiah Simmons, he’s top 10 led pipe lock.