PDA

View Full Version : Elway calls out OT Bolles for holding penalties

Denver Native (Carol)
09-19-2019, 03:36 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Denver Broncos have tried patience, constructive criticism and a sliver of tough love for penalty-prone left tackle Garett Bolles. And now, after another rash of yellow flags in the Broncos' first two games, the clock is ticking on the former first-round pick's place in the lineup.

Teammates have tried to help Bolles. Denver hired one of the best offensive line coaches in football, Mike Munchak, to, among everything else on his to-do list, help out the former first-round selection.

Bolles, the 20th pick of the 2017 draft, is really the only one who can fix it.

rest - https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27651369/elway-calls-ot-bolles-holding-penalties

SR
09-19-2019, 03:48 PM
$10 says Bolles gets no less than two accepted holding penalties this week but still starts next week.

chazoe60
09-19-2019, 03:52 PM
You can't teach a dumb dog any tricks. The guy is a moron and I can't believe anyone would draft him after hearing him speak, especially to play LT.

Shazam!
09-19-2019, 03:52 PM
Its a bad look in the locker room to let a guy who is sucking keep playing. Its like a different standard set for Bolles.

Von has been mailing it in too on too many plays, sorry

All IMO

underrated29
09-19-2019, 03:56 PM
They do not really have a choice. Who else are they going to play at LT? They do Not want to put Risner there. For some reason they dont want to put bolles at G yet. They need Elijah at RT until Juwanna man gets back.

REally they cannot play anyone there except a TE or Risner. So of course Bolles is going to be there and there is nothing the LR or anyone can do about it uet.

Shazam!
09-19-2019, 03:59 PM
They do not really have a choice. Who else are they going to play at LT? They do Not want to put Risner there. For some reason they dont want to put bolles at G yet. They need Elijah at RT until Juwanna man gets back.

REally they cannot play anyone there except a TE or Risner. So of course Bolles is going to be there and there is nothing the LR or anyone can do about it uet.

I literally think they should be combing even through practice squads. He is so bad theyd be the same with almost anyone

Denver Native (Carol)
09-19-2019, 04:21 PM
Garett Bolles of Denver Broncos Supports NCLD & Kids with Learning Disabilities through My Cause My Cleats

https://www.ncld.org/archives/action-center/what-we-ve-done/7241

G_Money
09-19-2019, 04:53 PM
https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/status/1174802173630148608

Simple Jaded
09-19-2019, 10:12 PM
Someone should call out Elway for a piss poor batting average along the OL.

Dude has Bob from Accountepts backing up Bolles.

Northman
09-20-2019, 06:04 AM

Risner would probably still be an upgrade at this point.

NightTerror218
09-20-2019, 04:03 PM

He is cheap when it comes to our own guys hitting FA but over spends on other guys. He dumps so much money into defense that we straps the bottom of barrel for OL. How much are we spending in the secondary? I am shocked my James contract though.

7DnBrnc53
09-20-2019, 10:22 PM

Agreed. Elway doesn't get the concept of Line of Scrimmage. And, after SB's 32 and 33, he should know darn better.

Cugel
09-21-2019, 11:21 AM
When asked Monday if Bolles could be taken out for a series or two in games at times when he was clearly struggling, Fangio said: "With our depth the way it is at this point, that's probably not an option.''

And whose fault is that? Who picked the roster and drafted the players? Why did Elway go into the season with ONE adequate quality backup OL so if TWO guys starters need to be replaced on the season that's it? Season over?

There are eight OL on this roster, including 4 tackles. In addition to Bolles, James and Wilkinson they also have Jake Rogers.

A second-year guard who was on the N.Y. Giants’ active roster for one week in 2016 in addition to competing on practice squads with the Giants (2015-16), Carolina (2016-17), Pittsburgh (2017-18), L.A. Chargers (2017), Houston (2017-18) and Baltimore (2018).
Played his first two collegiate seasons at Washington State University before transferring to Eastern Washington University for his final two years.
Named an FCS first-team All-American as a senior at Eastern Washington in 2014.
Joined Denver as a free agent on April 22, 2019.
Selected by Atlanta in the seventh round (225th overall) of the 2015 NFL Draft. (https://www.denverbroncos.com/team/players-roster/jake-rodgers/)
OK, so Rogers is a lightly regarded OT who was drafted in the 7th round and has mostly bounced around on practice squads ever since.

So what? :coffee:

He's still got to be better than Bolles! If he has fewer than 2 holding calls per half he's already better than Bolles!

Why didn't Elway draft another T in the draft, just in case the oft-injured James didn't last, and Bolles needed to be benched.

It's like Elway just was basing his personnel decisions on "I hope Bolles will turn it around." Well, what if he doesn't? What then? What's the plan?

Crickets.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
09-22-2019, 12:18 PM

Piss poor batting average in a number of positions.

If we look at his results over the past few years, drafting wise and hiring wise when it comes to coaches, he would've been out of a job already.

Simple Jaded
09-22-2019, 05:42 PM
Piss poor batting average in a number of positions.

If we look at his results over the past few years, drafting wise and hiring wise when it comes to coaches, he would've been out of a job already.

I’ll give you this, I said it years ago; if Elway were Elway’s boss he would’ve been fired long ago.

Cugel
09-28-2019, 06:14 PM

Yes to all this. And it's all John Elway's fault. Seriously, why didn't they get a backup T they could use if they had 2 injuries to starters on the OL or in case Bolles didn't take to coaching from Munchak any better than he did the last 2 years.

I mean continuing with him was a risk after all. It might go badly (just as it has).

Bolles sucking was not exactly a surprise to anybody. It wasn't a surprise to me, or most of you, so there's no way Elway shouldn't have thought.

"OK, maybe he comes around. . . but then again, what if he doesn't? What if he just continues to suck, no matter what we do? Happens sometimes. What we do then? Maybe we better have more options available to play at the backup T spot than just Wilkinson cause we might need him at G or C in case of injury."

So, John, what's the plan if you get the wombo-combo of Bolles continuing to suck just like the first two years of his career, at the same time you get an injury at T or G somewhere else on your OL and have to use Wilkinson there?

What then, John? Crickets. :coffee:

Cugel
09-28-2019, 06:21 PM
I’ll give you this, I said it years ago; if Elway were Elway’s boss he would’ve been fired long ago.

Hence the problem. He's no longer luring elite FAs to Denver on favorable deals and building a championship team with Peyton Manning.

The Broncos have one of the worst records in the entire NFL over the last 2 plus seasons other than teams like the Dolphins that are trying to lose.