PDA

View Full Version : How terrible is Garret Bolles?

chazoe60
09-14-2019, 04:23 PM
Good article illustrating just how bad this bum really is. I hope we have a different guy playing LT next season.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2019/9/13/20862324/how-will-the-broncos-offensive-line-hold-up-against-the-bears-pass-rush

Shazam!
09-14-2019, 05:38 PM
"Im done. OLine Jesus cant help him" Stink

Thought that was hilarious.

Cugel
09-14-2019, 07:22 PM
Mark Schlereth only refers to him as "72" now as in "72 can't play dead in a Western."

Simple Jaded
09-14-2019, 09:43 PM
Trent Williams bitches.

MOtorboat
09-15-2019, 03:33 PM
I gave him a pass for too long. Please accept my sincere apology.

slim
09-15-2019, 04:24 PM
Jfc

Cugel
09-15-2019, 04:25 PM
Well, that is not a surprise. Garrett Bolles holding negates a 21 yard run by Phillip Lindsey.

slim
09-15-2019, 04:25 PM
**** Bolles.

slim
09-15-2019, 04:30 PM
Jfc

chazoe60
09-15-2019, 04:30 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

chazoe60
09-15-2019, 04:32 PM
He lets every pass rusher get all the way to his chest before he even raises his arms. I've never seen a T play the way he does. That is one reason for so many holding calls. He doesnt give himself much choice but to reach outside the pads when the defender is already into his body before his arms even come up from his sides.

BroncoWave
09-15-2019, 04:33 PM
Cut this bum. Literally anyone off the street couldn't be this bad.

BigDaddyBronco
09-15-2019, 04:34 PM
Such a piece of shit. Hate him as a LT.

Hawgdriver
09-15-2019, 04:35 PM
Garrett Bolles is like a rusted junkyard fender duct-taped onto a nice pickup truck.

Poet
09-15-2019, 04:36 PM
Bolles is too NFL production what Hitler was too humanitarianism.

wayninja
09-15-2019, 04:37 PM
It's amazing that he's still playing.

slim
09-15-2019, 04:38 PM
Garrett Bolles is like a rusted junkyard fender duct-taped onto a nice pickup truck.

I think he is like a bad 1st round pick that the FO refuses to give up on

Hawgdriver
09-15-2019, 04:46 PM

No, that was Paxton Lynch.

chazoe60
09-15-2019, 04:48 PM
Garret Bolles just got called for holding again.

Poet
09-15-2019, 04:49 PM
Garret Bolles just got called for holding again.

I tried to be optimistic about Bolles. I was wrong. The guy I wanted ended up being converted to a RT in NO, but he's pretty good. Still, I thought that Bolles had some potential, and I wanted to be happy and optimistic.

God ******* dammit.

slim
09-15-2019, 04:50 PM

They gave up on Lynch :listen:

Poet
09-15-2019, 04:54 PM

History has a strange way of repeating itself.

gregbroncs
09-15-2019, 04:54 PM
Jesus, I've been backing the guy thinking that eventually he'd learn what is and isn't holding. He just doesn't seem to get it. He shakes his head every time like he disagrees with the call. Wake up dude you hold a lot, and today you've held on at least 3 plays that weren't called, and all of the calls were obvious and correct.

chazoe60
09-15-2019, 05:06 PM
Guys just watch how deep Bolles lets the defender get before he even starts using his hands. It's absolutely pathetic technique. He has no legitimate business being a starting LT in the NFL.

Hawgdriver
09-15-2019, 05:32 PM
Guys just watch how deep Bolles lets the defender get before he even starts using his hands. It's absolutely pathetic technique. He has no legitimate business being a starting LT in the NFL.

The only cure is replacing him. I don't see how a competitive team has Bolles as a starting LT. Perhaps there is no one on the roster now, but might as well experiment with what we got. Hell, put Risner there.

Or keep him there if the plan is Trevor.

NightTerror218
09-15-2019, 06:38 PM
Ready for a mid season trade for Trent Williams for von Miller. Oblivious fangio does not trust Miller as a pass rusher

GEM
09-15-2019, 07:43 PM
Sandy Clough just said that Risner is already telling bolles what to do because he doesn't know. :lol: Also said that they're was a college teammate of bolles that stated he's been doing the it's not my fault his whole life. Always blamed the refs, never took responsibility. Nothing has changed. Still shakes his head after every call like every ref is getting it wrong.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-15-2019, 07:54 PM
Sandy Clough just said that Risner is already telling bolles what to do because he doesn't know. :lol: Also said that they're was a college teammate of bolles that stated he's been doing the it's not my fault his whole life. Always blamed the refs, never took responsibility. Nothing has changed. Still shakes his head after every call like every ref is getting it wrong.

That’s why you don’t draft O-linemen with mental disabilities and bad attitudes to boot. Elway went with athletic ability over smarts thinking our coaching staff could fix him. He’s stubbornly retarded and lazy and that’s a dangerous combo.

Davii
09-15-2019, 08:13 PM
Hey guys, Garret just got flagged for holding again. His wife was driving, he had to kill another drive.

slim
09-15-2019, 08:16 PM
That’s why you don’t draft O-linemen with mental disabilities and bad attitudes to boot. Elway went with athletic ability over smarts thinking our coaching staff could fix him. He’s stubbornly retarded and lazy and that’s a dangerous combo.

This post reminds me of BTB

HORSEPOWER 56
09-15-2019, 08:21 PM
This post reminds me of BTB

Your mom reminds me of BTB...

Nomad
09-15-2019, 08:22 PM
I bet Bolles is a good family man.

slim
09-15-2019, 08:22 PM
Your mom reminds me of BTB...

If only my mom were that feminine!

Nomad
09-15-2019, 08:27 PM

NightTrainLayne
09-16-2019, 01:15 PM
I had to laugh yesterday on the play where the refs called holding on #65 Leary.

On the replay, the ref throws the flag right at Bolles. It's obvious that Bolles was the offending party, but the refs called #65 presumably because they felt bad calling so many in a row on Bolles. .. . How sad is that? The refs actually feeling bad for you, so they call out someone else to cover for you.

Shazam!
09-16-2019, 01:30 PM
If the Broncos want linemen not good enough to play, Im available for the League min

GEM
09-16-2019, 01:31 PM

Harsh, but I laughed.

BroncoWave
09-16-2019, 01:36 PM
I usually can't stand Mark Schlereth, but it was pretty entertaining how he was just consistently shitting on Bolles. I'm pretty sure he wanted to fight him.

chazoe60
09-16-2019, 02:01 PM
Mark Schlereth is like that old guy who was pretty good in HS and from then on hopes nobody else from his HS ever has success because he wants to always think of himself as the best ever. The way he acts almost giddy when the Broncos suck is just ******* annoying.

BroncoWave
09-16-2019, 02:08 PM
Mark Schlereth is like that old guy who was pretty good in HS and from then on hopes nobody else from his HS ever has success because he wants to always think of himself as the best ever. The way he acts almost giddy when the Broncos suck is just ******* annoying.

I usually agree, but Bolles deserved every bit of that shit he took.

Shazam!
09-16-2019, 02:09 PM

Really bro he was like a HoF G his time here and a large part of TDs success

chazoe60
09-16-2019, 02:10 PM
I usually agree, but Bolles deserved every bit of that shit he took.

Oh no, I also loved the giant shit sandwich being fed to our worst player, he deserved every bite, mine was just a general comment on Mr. Ego Mark Schlereth.

Buff
09-16-2019, 02:11 PM
If I was Ronald Leary I'd be roasting this MF'r on twitter right now...

It's kind of fitting that the year the Chiefs drafted Mahomes, we drafted this guy - and the rest is history...

chazoe60
09-16-2019, 02:12 PM

Okay. What does that have to do with him now? I listened to him every day for like 3 years and he could barely hide his pleasure at the Broncos sucking. He's annoying to me that's all.

chazoe60
09-16-2019, 02:15 PM
You dont want your QB, C or Tackles to be stupid. The rest of the offense can be illiterate for all I care but I want Mensa members in those 4 spots. Garrett Bolles would struggle reading through a Dick and Jane book. The guy seems border line retarded to me.

BroncoWave
09-16-2019, 02:15 PM

You liking Schlereth is very on brand.

Buff
09-16-2019, 02:23 PM
You liking Schlereth is very on brand.

Schlereth is great. I guess I can kind of see how he's like the dad who coaches his son and overcompensates by being too hard on him with the Broncos -- but at the same time, do we feel like his criticisms have been unfair?

He's a little showy - but that's how you have a long time career as an analyst.

BroncoWave
09-16-2019, 02:27 PM
Schlereth is great. I guess I can kind of see how he's like the dad who coaches his son and overcompensates by being too hard on him with the Broncos -- but at the same time, do we feel like his criticisms have been unfair?

He's a little showy - but that's how you have a long time career as an analyst.

I have no issue with his views on the Broncos. I just hate him because he's your stereotypical "Back in MY day" type of douchebag old guy. He's just a condescending ahole who thinks his opinion is the gold standard because "I played and you didn't".

Shazam!
09-16-2019, 02:32 PM
How dare a Champion caliber OLineman criticize another OLineman!

BroncoWave
09-16-2019, 02:33 PM
How dare a Champion caliber OLineman criticize another OLineman!

Can you read? Literally no one has an issue with his comments on Bolles.

Cugel
09-16-2019, 03:05 PM
I bet Bolles is a good family man.

I know he always has a great day of practice on Wednesdays. Vance told us this all the time. :coffee:

Cugel
09-16-2019, 03:09 PM
I have no issue with his views on the Broncos. I just hate him because he's your stereotypical "Back in MY day" type of douchebag old guy. He's just a condescending ahole who thinks his opinion is the gold standard because "I played and you didn't".

Back in MY day Sir we would horse-whip vulgarians like you! And then we'd sentence you to a term of hard labour working on the railroads and telegraph lines! Or hard labour in the Zeppelin works!

Poet
09-16-2019, 03:42 PM
Stink is annoying. He usually has a decent point, but he is grating. Chaz is right in that he almost seems stoked when Denver sucks. He also seems to enjoy being a dick. While every thing he said yesterday was true, I doubt that he'd have gone as hard on another tackle having that shitty of a game. I sincerely doubt that Stink would have the gumption to talk that much shit in front of Bolles It reminded me of Shaq shitting on JaVale McGee.

GEM
09-16-2019, 03:46 PM
To put it in perspective, he's ALWAYS talked shit about Bolles. Last week he went from calling him Bollesy to the player who shall not be named. His disgust with him is long running, not a recent thing. He's not wrong.

Also, since Big Al went to KOA, the Fan is now on this kick that they aren't affiliated with the Broncos and will be critical when necessary. Seems they are ramping that up, maybe a bit worried Big Al will be stealing some listeners.

Poet
09-16-2019, 03:49 PM
To put it in perspective, he's ALWAYS talked shit about Bolles. Last week he went from calling him Bollesy to the player who shall not be named. His disgust with him is long running, not a recent thing. He's not wrong.

Also, since Big Al went to KOA, the Fan is now on this kick that they aren't affiliated with the Broncos and will be critical when necessary. Seems they are ramping that up, maybe a bit worried Big Al will be stealing some listeners.

I know GEM, and that's sort of what irks me. He's supposed to be non-biased and what not. The LT on his old team blows ass and he seems relentlessly happy to go beyond normal harsh criticism.

I don't disagree with what he said so much as disagree with how he said it.

Buff
09-16-2019, 04:01 PM
Stink is annoying. He usually has a decent point, but he is grating. Chaz is right in that he almost seems stoked when Denver sucks. He also seems to enjoy being a dick. While every thing he said yesterday was true, I doubt that he'd have gone as hard on another tackle having that shitty of a game. I sincerely doubt that Stink would have the gumption to talk that much shit in front of Bolles It reminded me of Shaq shitting on JaVale McGee.

Mark Schlereth let me wear his Super Bowl ring and I will never have a bad word to say about the guy as long as I live...

I also enjoy his commentary. I like an analyst who doesn't pull any punches and will say what he means.

Poet
09-16-2019, 04:03 PM
Mark Schlereth let me wear his Super Bowl ring and I will never have a bad word to say about the guy as long as I live...

I also enjoy his commentary. I like an analyst who doesn't pull any punches and will say what he means.

I get it. He's a Denver God.

You can make the same points without the delight in destruction.

NightTrainLayne
09-16-2019, 04:04 PM
I think his intent is to avoid being a "homer".

He just goes too far sometimes in the other direction.

GEM
09-16-2019, 04:12 PM
I know GEM, and that's sort of what irks me. He's supposed to be non-biased and what not. The LT on his old team blows ass and he seems relentlessly happy to go beyond normal harsh criticism.

I don't disagree with what he said so much as disagree with how he said it.

I don't have a single issue with him calling it out. The only think that bugs me about him is his constant need to talk about himself. But when he talks Broncos, he is usually right.

MOtorboat
09-16-2019, 04:15 PM
If I was Ronald Leary I'd be roasting this MF'r on twitter right now...

It's kind of fitting that the year the Chiefs drafted Mahomes, we drafted this guy - and the rest is history...

I could have done without this realization. I hate you.

Poet
09-16-2019, 04:21 PM
I don't have a single issue with him calling it out. The only think that bugs me about him is his constant need to talk about himself. But when he talks Broncos, he is usually right.

I think he went past calling it out.

Ultimately, Bolles can either shut him up through proper play, or move on from the team as his performance isn't close to cutting it.

GEM
09-16-2019, 05:01 PM

Ultimately, Bolles can either shut him up through proper play, or move on from the team as his performance isn't close to cutting it.

When Bolles is out here saying that the refs are targeting him the very next day after 4 and what should have been 5 penalties, it shows he STILL doesn't think he did anything wrong. He deserves to be called out for being the dumb **** that he is being.Take responsibility and try to be better. Shut up, put your head in some film and figure it the **** out.

He's been calling it out more than 2 seasons. He's getting louder because it's getting worse. Even with better players around him and a HOF lineman coaching him, he's getting worse. If he isn't listening the peanut gallery will get louder.

Shazam!
09-16-2019, 05:02 PM

When Bolles is out here saying that the refs are targeting him the very next day after 4 and what should have been 5 penalties, it shows he STILL doesn't think he did anything wrong. He deserves to be called out for being the dumb **** that he is being.Take responsibility and try to be better. Shut up, put your head in some film and figure it the **** out.

Dude flat out cant play.

GEM
09-16-2019, 05:49 PM
How has this kid gotten as far as he's gotten not knowing you don't start your stance with your hands on the outside of the defender. Your hands ALWAYS start inside as a tackle. Put your friggen hands in their damn armpits and leg strength them back. When you start squared forwards with your hands outside the shoulder pads, you're ****** every time. Feet in the wrong position, arms in the wrong position. Dumb. My dad always told my boys, if you aren't grabbing for the nipple area or armpits, you're asking to get called. Keep it inside.

Simple Jaded
09-16-2019, 06:22 PM
Could Matt Kalil be any worse than Boles?

https://www.hawtcelebs.com/haley-kalil-on-the-set-of-a-photoshoot-in-tulum-july-2019/

I submit to you ... that he doin something right.

BroncoTech
09-16-2019, 06:42 PM

John Elway is poor at hiring because everybody is poor at hiring and there's no one to teach John how to hire better. Instead companies are developing a 'fire faster' mentality that means you drop the ego crap and fire people as soon as you see they aren't making it. Paxton Lynch should have been gone at the camp a season before, same with Bolles. I hate to say it but maybe Belicheat is the best at the fire faster mantra. He ofter releases people that make you go hmmmm.

Poet
09-16-2019, 09:28 PM
How has this kid gotten as far as he's gotten not knowing you don't start your stance with your hands on the outside of the defender. Your hands ALWAYS start inside as a tackle. Put your friggen hands in their damn armpits and leg strength them back. When you start squared forwards with your hands outside the shoulder pads, you're ****** every time. Feet in the wrong position, arms in the wrong position. Dumb. My dad always told my boys, if you aren't grabbing for the nipple area or armpits, you're asking to get called. Keep it inside.

Because he was always bigger, stronger, and faster than his competition. Him being such a physical specimen was a detriment to him because he never had to learn technique.

Poet
09-16-2019, 09:29 PM
Dude flat out cant play.

Right...but what does that have to do with what I said?

Poet
09-16-2019, 09:30 PM

He's been calling it out more than 2 seasons. He's getting louder because it's getting worse. Even with better players around him and a HOF lineman coaching him, he's getting worse. If he isn't listening the peanut gallery will get louder.

He's an idiot. That doesn't mean Stink was in the right for being unprofessional and enjoying lighting someone up. That's actually the opposite of what they teach analysts and sportswriters, FWIW.

Shazam!
09-16-2019, 09:40 PM
Dude flat out cant play.

Right...but what does that have to do with what I said?

They should just get someone from a PS maybe, anyone would be better couldnt be much worse. Literally

Poet
09-16-2019, 09:42 PM
They should just get someone from a PS maybe, anyone would be better couldnt be much worse. Literally

Right...but I'm talking about Stink and his conduct, not Bolles....

GEM
09-16-2019, 09:58 PM
I don't need analysts to blow smoke up my ass. It's more unprofessional to lie your ass off and keep it kosher simply to keep the peace and not hurt feelers. I don't listen to a Christian sports show. I listen to a bunch of ex jocks shooting the shit. He was actually toned down on TV. He kept it at a better moral ground there. His real conversations happened on a local radio station.

Poet
09-16-2019, 10:00 PM
Idon't need analysts to blow smoke up my ass. It's more unprofessional to lie your ass off and keep it kosher simply to keep the peace and not hurt feelers. Idon't listen to a Christian sports show. I listen to a bunch of ex jocks shouting the shit. He was actually toned down on TV. He kept it at a better moral ground there. His real conversations happened on a local radio station.

It's not blowing up smoke up your ass, or being a Christian show, or not hurting people's feelers to maintain professionalism. Enjoying a player's struggles that you dislike, because he sucks and plays for your team, and going past commentary to full blown mockery isn't professional as an on-air television broadcaster. JMO.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-16-2019, 11:22 PM
If I’m Munch, I make Bolles practice in boxing gloves this week. I’m not ******* kidding. From the instant he steps on the practice field to the second he steps off he wears boxing gloves. **** that holding POS. I’d embarrass him until he either fixes his behavior or quits. He’s paid millions and right now he a bigger bane than boon.

GEM
09-17-2019, 09:33 AM
If I’m Munch, I make Bolles practice in boxing gloves this week. I’m not ******* kidding. From the instant he steps on the practice field to the second he steps off he wears boxing gloves. **** that holding POS. I’d embarrass him until he either fixes his behavior or quits. He’s paid millions and right now he a bigger bane than boon.

Nalen said he should be doing one on one drills with his left hand tied behind his back. They make rb's who drop the ball carry it through the facility with instructions for everyone to bat the ball out of their hand, why not something similar since our front office apparently hates depth and we have no other choice but to play him.

Cugel
09-17-2019, 01:45 PM

It's certainly not public criticism that is Bolles' problem right now. It's that he has maybe 1 more game to prove that he gets it, and then they can consider whether it would be better to move Roders into his LT starting spot. Rogers might not be remotely as athletic as Bolles, but he probably isn't resisting listening and learning from his coaches!

So, if he has adequate athletic talent to play the position, and he listens from and learns from his coaches not to make the same mistakes over and over again, then he's going to be better than Bolles eventually, and the coaches will be justified in putting him in at LT and putting up with the learning curve rather than keep Bolles out there when he's learning nothing and not getting any better.

Meanwhile they are just going to have to grit their teeth and deal with the fact that Elway has made yet ANOTHER busted first round pick to go with all the others (Paxton, Sylvester Williams, Shane Ray, etc.)

G_Money
09-17-2019, 04:01 PM
This ******* guy.

tomjonesrocks
09-17-2019, 07:48 PM

Anyone listen to the new Al show? I might prefer Nalen to Al TBH - though I do like Al a lot.

I thought he was moving to MA, maybe he might still be - but have continued to tune in for Nalen.

Simple Jaded
09-17-2019, 07:50 PM
I like reality too much to tune into KOA.

GEM
09-17-2019, 08:11 PM
Anyone listen to the new Al show? I might prefer Nalen to Al TBH - though I do like Al a lot.

I thought he was moving to MA, maybe he might still be - but have continued to tune in for Nalen.

Nalen leaves in October. I love love LOVE listening to Nalen. Not happy he's leaving.

I don't like that JoJo dude who is with Al.

Shazam!
09-17-2019, 08:37 PM

Nalen leaves in October. I love love LOVE listening to Nalen. Not happy he's leaving.

I don't like that JoJo dude who is with Al.

Is he getting his own show or something

dogfish
09-18-2019, 01:40 AM
Wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders, via James Merilatt of 104.3 The Fan: “He needs to understand that he is doing something wrong They keep throwing flags on him and he keeps holding.”

Head coach Vic Fangio: “I think he suffers from thinking he’s in good position sometimes and dumps the guy at the end where he thinks it’s a legal block. We have to do a better job of explaining that to him. He’s got to do a better job of listening to the explaining, but I think he can.”

General Manager John Elway: “Well, he’s got to understand why. I think that’s the most important thing. That’s the thing that we discussed is for him to understand exactly why. You’ve got to get yourself in better position and play better technique so you don’t hold.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/18/broncos-frustration-growing-with-garett-bolles-after-penalties-pile-up/#respond

BroncoWave
09-18-2019, 04:30 AM
Honestly, maybe a 4 hold game was the best thing that could ever happen to him. He seems to have always thought he wasn't the problem. Now everyone is telling him all week he's definitely the problem. If he has any pride whatsoever maybe he'll fix it.

Elevation inc
09-18-2019, 08:47 AM
Honestly, maybe a 4 hold game was the best thing that could ever happen to him. He seems to have always thought he wasn't the problem. Now everyone is telling him all week he's definitely the problem. If he has any pride whatsoever maybe he'll fix it.

I remember last year he had a 2 hold game and excuses were made even by the coaching staff and some players for him kind of letting him off the hook. I think your right maybe this is what he needed. I'm glad everyone is in his shit. Pissed me off guys like him got left of the hook, by VJ then VJ calls out von publically for 2 offside calls....smh....

Ziggy
09-18-2019, 09:14 AM
He's been with the best offensive line coach in the world for months now. Not only is he still making the same mistakes over and over, he's now blaming his failures on the refs. It seems like after the Paxton and Bolles drafts, Elway has begun to place a priority on football IQ. Thank goodness. Give Washington Bolles and a 2nd for Trent Williams and be done with this draft failure.

Elevation inc
09-19-2019, 01:40 AM
He's been with the best offensive line coach in the world for months now. Not only is he still making the same mistakes over and over, he's now blaming his failures on the refs. It seems like after the Paxton and Bolles drafts, Elway has begun to place a priority on football IQ. Thank goodness. Give Washington Bolles and a 2nd for Trent Williams and be done with this draft failure.

If we can make that trade I wont consider Bolles a draft failure....not if he can get us Trent Williams :lol:

Simple Jaded
09-19-2019, 10:47 PM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/18/broncos-frustration-growing-with-garett-bolles-after-penalties-pile-up/#respond

Manchester is on 104.3 now?

ShaneFalco
12-08-2019, 08:52 AM
https://twitter.com/MikeKlis/status/1203654873377579008

ive never been out on Bolles, to me he always showed the toughness and physicality of a O linemen, his problem was always technique and accepting the coaching on that technique. Here is to hoping he finally is getting the technique and coaching down.

Blocker, Pos. ………….. Grade

Garett Bolles, LT ………… 68.2

Connor McGovern, C …... 66.4

Dalton Risner, LG ……….. 66.0

Elijah Wilkinson, RT …….. 62.4

Ron Leary, RG …….…….. 58.5

Simple Jaded
12-08-2019, 09:57 AM
Hope that means they can get something for Bolles after they draft Andrew Thomas.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-08-2019, 06:29 PM
Too little. Too late

Jsteve01
12-08-2019, 10:32 PM
Wirfs. Thomas will be looking gone by our pick

Hawgdriver
12-08-2019, 10:34 PM
Wirfs. Thomas will be looking gone by our pick

Damn, if you could get him though. Is he not the obvious #1 addition to this team? We also need a CB so bad, especially if CHjr bails. And a WR, sorry but we do. But if this OL was just a smidge north of 50th percentile, I think this staff could run with it.

Cugel
12-08-2019, 11:00 PM
Damn, if you could get him though. Is he not the obvious #1 addition to this team? We also need a CB so bad, especially if CHjr bails. And a WR, sorry but we do. But if this OL was just a smidge north of 50th percentile, I think this staff could run with it.

We've been saying that since Ryan Clady got hurt, which was the last time Denver had an OL that "was a smidge north of 50th percentile." They are about 28th or so once again.

Garrett Bolles is guaranteed a penalty a game. 13 games. 13 holding Penalties on Bolles. They actually could call him on every single pass play, but I suppose there's only so many penalties in a row they can call on the guy before they just throw up their hands and let his blatant holding go for some plays.

Now the Broncos are talking about picking up his 5th year option! I kid not. They are actually going to keep Bolles as their starting LT looks like. :tsk:

Hawgdriver
12-08-2019, 11:10 PM
We've been saying that since Ryan Clady got hurt, which was the last time Denver had an OL that "was a smidge north of 50th percentile." They are about 28th or so once again.

Garrett Bolles is guaranteed a penalty a game. 13 games. 13 holding Penalties on Bolles. They actually could call him on every single pass play, but I suppose there's only so many penalties in a row they can call on the guy before they just throw up their hands and let his blatant holding go for some plays.

Now the Broncos are talking about picking up his 5th year option! I kid not. They are actually going to keep Bolles as their starting LT looks like. :tsk:

Yeah, good point. They really need a legit tackle, LT preferably, and the kid from Georgia would be perfect.

And I love Drew Lock's coming out party. Don't get me wrong.

But I'd love it even more if they had a stud LT like Thomas going into the 2020 season. Because it turns out this Lock kid can ball, and they need some draft ammo.

Broncos championships is what I'm about. Let's do this.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-08-2019, 11:11 PM
Alex Leatherwood will slot between 8 and 15. He is a top 3 OT with Thomas and Whirfs. Order will be based on team preference. Thomas is clearly most ready now and will be a star. The other 2 aren't far behind, but have more upside in passing game. We'd be lucky to get either of the 3.

Simple Jaded
12-08-2019, 11:52 PM
Wirfs MIGHT be there if he’s considered a RT only.

Hawgdriver
12-08-2019, 11:53 PM
Wirfs MIGHT be there if he’s considered a RT only.

Gun to your head, what's his % to stick at LT?

Simple Jaded
12-08-2019, 11:56 PM
Gun to your head, what's his % to stick at LT?

70% to 75%, he's a ridiculous athlete, but ya know what it depends on? Go ahead and ask me.

Simple Jaded
12-08-2019, 11:58 PM
Hawg?

Simple Jaded
12-09-2019, 12:00 AM
Hawg?

Hello?

Hawgdriver
12-09-2019, 12:04 AM
Hello?

omg jaded. I have a life. I was reading about death cap mushrooms.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/02/deadly-mushroom-arrives-canada/581602/

But, as you were saying...

?????

Jsteve01
12-09-2019, 12:11 AM

Wirfs is reaaaly solid. Like solid for 15 years

Hawgdriver
12-09-2019, 12:18 AM
Going through that recent draft day thread--2017 draft day, a couple years after the fact--made me realize we got some damn sharp posters on this message board. I'm not one of them, but I'm not an idiot either. I will stand back and watch... :)

Simple Jaded
12-09-2019, 12:53 AM

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/02/deadly-mushroom-arrives-canada/581602/

?????

Arm length.

Timmy!
12-09-2019, 04:40 AM

?????

If you are really dumb enough to pick and eat some nasty ass mushroom growing in the cracks of a friggin sidewalk, well....that's just population control.

CoachChaz
12-09-2019, 09:48 AM
With all the hype that Wirfs get, it's easy to forget he doesn't play LT because Alaric Jackson is still pretty damn good. If we choose to go CB or WR in round 1, Jackson would still be an upgrade over Bolles in round 2. As would about 5 other guys.

Hawgdriver
12-09-2019, 09:51 AM
If you are really dumb enough to pick and eat some nasty ass mushroom growing in the cracks of a friggin sidewalk, well....that's just population control.

I feel bad for the random 3 y/o child scientist, but yeah.

Poet
12-09-2019, 11:03 AM
Arm length.

https://www.pff.com/news/does-arm-length-affect-ot-play

Any way I break it down, there doesn’t seem to be any correlation between arm length and performance. Still, I would be remiss if I didn’t admit to the limitations of this analysis. First of all, the sample is limited to players whose arm length was available online. In most cases that means they attended the combine or a pro day at a big school, and most likely biases the sample somewhat against lower draft picks and undrafted free agents. The other consequence of this limitation is that old web pages that list arm length for some of the older draft classes are no longer available online. This excludes some of the oldest qualified players. Also of note is that I used a simple linear regression, without controlling for other variables. This means that other variables (age, height, strength, college conference, etc.) could very well be the most important factors in predicting performance that would account for the large variance seen in all the data. If arm length was a huge factor, it should still show up in this analysis, but a more minor effect might become clouded.

This is our tradition, Jaded. You make this claim, I post this link and quote. The dance continues.

Hawgdriver
12-09-2019, 11:25 AM

Any way I break it down, there doesn’t seem to be any correlation between arm length and performance. Still, I would be remiss if I didn’t admit to the limitations of this analysis. First of all, the sample is limited to players whose arm length was available online. In most cases that means they attended the combine or a pro day at a big school, and most likely biases the sample somewhat against lower draft picks and undrafted free agents. The other consequence of this limitation is that old web pages that list arm length for some of the older draft classes are no longer available online. This excludes some of the oldest qualified players. Also of note is that I used a simple linear regression, without controlling for other variables. This means that other variables (age, height, strength, college conference, etc.) could very well be the most important factors in predicting performance that would account for the large variance seen in all the data. If arm length was a huge factor, it should still show up in this analysis, but a more minor effect might become clouded.

This is our tradition, Jaded. You make this claim, I post this link and quote. The dance continues.

Nate's analysis leaves out a bias that has some influence on his conclusion. That bias is that in order to be a part of his sample (left and right tackles who played 25%+ of team snaps any season 2010-2012) you had to make the NFL and be given significant practice and playing time. So to even be included in his sample you had to first demonstrate the ability to get the results required of the position.

That should tell you that the important thing to observe from his analysis is not a linear regression among all these players, but the quantity of players at each arm length compared to the pool in general. That is, if a disproportionate number of left tackles have arms of certain length (e.g., 35 inches), then this attribute is important.

Nate's analysis is useful, but not conclusive, and omits consideration of important lines of inquiry.

Hawgdriver
12-09-2019, 11:39 AM

Nate's analysis is quite solid though. In general. I'm working hard to find flaws and Jaded's position is hard to maintain in light of the data. But I wouldn't be surprised if proper analysis supports Jaded's intuition. At the same time, Jaded's dismissal of some stubby-armed tackles is like Elway's dismissal of Brees and Wilson--like he's wedded to a crippling orthodoxy.

BroncoWave
12-09-2019, 11:51 AM
Too little. Too late

I don't understand this take. He's still under contract and could be extended, how is it too late? I'm not saying he's great now, but if he really has turned the corner like these stats show, how is it too little too late?

Poet
12-09-2019, 11:54 AM
Nate's analysis is quite solid though. In general. I'm working hard to find flaws and Jaded's position is hard to maintain in light of the data. But I wouldn't be surprised if proper analysis supports Jaded's intuition. At the same time, Jaded's dismissal of some stubby-armed tackles is like Elway's dismissal of Brees and Wilson--like he's wedded to a crippling orthodoxy.

The data admits it's imperfect, and that's always refreshing. I would guess, and I do mean guess, that long arms help. I wouldn't guess that a lack of long arms hurts. I could be sold that T-Rex arms could hurt, but not always. I think back in the day, in order to maek the combine make sense we did what humans always do and take intuition leaps, logical ones, and they became dogma, or Orthodox.

I'm glad you sauntered into Jaded and I's long lasting game.

Davii
12-09-2019, 11:55 AM
I don't understand this take. He's still under contract and could be extended, how is it too late? I'm not saying he's great now, but if he really has turned the corner like these stats show, how is it too little too late?

It's not. Munchack knows by now whether it's worth continuing down this path or finding a way to move on.

If he has, in fact, shown major improvements then great, otherwise, just cut bait.

Hawgdriver
12-09-2019, 12:24 PM
The data admits it's imperfect, and that's always refreshing. I would guess, and I do mean guess, that long arms help. I wouldn't guess that a lack of long arms hurts. I could be sold that T-Rex arms could hurt, but not always. I think back in the day, in order to maek the combine make sense we did what humans always do and take intuition leaps, logical ones, and they became dogma, or Orthodox.

I'm glad you sauntered into Jaded and I's long lasting game.

I was the first to post that PFF article, I believe.

Simple Jaded
12-09-2019, 12:40 PM
Arm length, it’s science.

Simple Jaded
12-09-2019, 12:42 PM
Teams won’t even let a player play T without requisite arm length, Scherff from Iowa is a prime example ... drafted 1st round and started immediately at RG. Because G’s are THAT important, right Kinger?

Poet
12-09-2019, 12:50 PM
Teams won’t even let a player play T without requisite arm length, Scherff from Iowa is a prime example ... drafted 1st round and started immediately at RG. Because G’s are THAT important, right Kinger?

When players get moved from LT to another position, as in LT in college and then NFL line on a new position, it's typically because of other issues, like athleticism and quick feet.

GEM
12-09-2019, 12:50 PM
https://twitter.com/MikeKlis/status/1203654873377579008

ive never been out on Bolles, to me he always showed the toughness and physicality of a O linemen, his problem was always technique and accepting the coaching on that technique. Here is to hoping he finally is getting the technique and coaching down.

Him being graded higher than his teammates is more of an indictment on just how friggen bad the oline is.

Cugel
12-09-2019, 04:01 PM

He hasn't turned any corners! These stats are just B.S.! Did you see the graphic in the last game after Bolles got called for holding -- negating a TD catch?

He has 13 penalties in 13 games, by FAR the most in the NFL.

If he's still starting this is a blanket indictment of John Elway's leadership -- because they have no friggin' alternative.

When I saw there was a penalty on the play, I turned to my friend and said "Holding #72. 10 yards." Didn't have to see the replay to know it had to be Bolles holding on such a big play.

That's what he does. NOT one starting LT in the league is remotely as bad as Bolles. He's hot garbage. He's not "getting better." Don't give me a bunch of meaningless stats. He doesn't pass the eye test "can we count on this guy NOT go get a crucial holding call negating a big play in every single game? Answer: "No." :coffee:

Davii
12-09-2019, 04:15 PM
He hasn't turned any corners! These stats are just B.S.! Did you see the graphic in the last game after Bolles got called for holding -- negating a TD catch?

He has 13 penalties in 13 games, by FAR the most in the NFL.

If he's still starting this is a blanket indictment of John Elway's leadership -- because they have no friggin' alternative.

When I saw there was a penalty on the play, I turned to my friend and said "Holding #72. 10 yards." Didn't have to see the replay to know it had to be Bolles holding on such a big play.

That's what he does. NOT one starting LT in the league is remotely as bad as Bolles. He's hot garbage. He's not "getting better." Don't give me a bunch of meaningless stats. He doesn't pass the eye test "can we count on this guy NOT go get a crucial holding call negating a big play in every single game? Answer: "No." :coffee:

I bet you felt dumb... He wasn't called for holding yesterday.

Also "... is a blanket indictment of John Elway's leadership ..." as predictable as the sun rising in the East.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-09-2019, 06:38 PM
It's not. Munchack knows by now whether it's worth continuing down this path or finding a way to move on.

If he has, in fact, shown major improvements then great, otherwise, just cut bait.

At some point, a player is who he is. He grades best of a steaming pile. Great. He is still a liability. 2 improved games doesn't change my opinion of him. It just so happens that in these games, we used an actual mobile QB. Why pick up a pricey option if there are better options. Quit wasting time. Fix the line.

Simple Jaded
12-09-2019, 07:01 PM
When players get moved from LT to another position, as in LT in college and then NFL line on a new position, it's typically because of other issues, like athleticism and quick feet.

It’s a given that players with short arms move inside, just as much a reason as poor lateral quickness.

Poet
12-09-2019, 07:53 PM
It’s a given that players with short arms move inside, just as much a reason as poor lateral quickness.

Except we know statistically that this probably isn't the case.

sneakers
12-10-2019, 06:33 AM
https://i.redd.it/ytm4k22xtf131.jpg

Joel
12-12-2019, 04:05 AM
When players get moved from LT to another position, as in LT in college and then NFL line on a new position, it's typically because of other issues, like athleticism and quick feet.It’s a given that players with short arms move inside, just as much a reason as poor lateral quickness.
What if NEITHER of you is wrong? Answer: It would tend to imply that

Him being graded higher than his teammates is more of an indictment on just how friggen bad the oline is.
I look forward to seeing which sacrificial QB we nominate next to remedy the five problems in front of ALL of them.

Simple Jaded
12-30-2019, 08:20 PM
“He was there”— JFE assessment on Garett Bolles

Valar Morghulis
12-31-2019, 04:47 AM

I saw that!!!

He played because he was the only one available it’s nota ringing endorsement

Elway even laughed when referencing the booing

Davii
12-31-2019, 04:57 AM

I almost choked on my coffee when he said that, "and that's important". :lol:

If my boss said that I know damn well I'd be tidying up my resume.

Shazam!
12-31-2019, 05:39 AM

Was a shot at J. James.

Davii
12-31-2019, 05:42 AM
Was a shot at J. James.

It's also a shot at Bolles. There's no way that can be seen as anything but.

Simple Jaded
12-31-2019, 06:27 AM
Was a shot at J. James.

Per Vic Lombardi, I didn’t watch presser.

Valar Morghulis
12-31-2019, 06:29 AM
Per Vic Lombardi, I didn’t watch presser.

I did

It was more like what is the nicest most honest thing I can say about him

Davii
12-31-2019, 06:31 AM
I did

It was more like what is the nicest most honest thing I can say about him

It also wasn't a complete quote, he did specifically say "he was there, and that's important". He even said it multiple times.

Valar Morghulis
12-31-2019, 06:34 AM
Yeah, he was really disguising what he wanted to say..... which would probably be closer to what stink actually says about bolles but because he is the gm he needed something better and came up with “he was available every snap” (paraphrasing) lol

Davii
12-31-2019, 06:36 AM
Yeah, he was really disguising what he wanted to say..... which would probably be closer to what stink actually says about bolles but because he is the gm he needed something better and came up with “he was available every snap” (paraphrasing) lol

He did say he played better at the end of the year. I think it's because with a mobile QB the pass rush couldn't just go balls out otherwise they would've just continued beating him like a drum.

Valar Morghulis
12-31-2019, 06:44 AM
He did say he played better at the end of the year. I think it's because with a mobile QB the pass rush couldn't just go balls out otherwise they would've just continued beating him like a drum.

That late 15 yard pen against Oakland was probably still choking him

Poet
01-01-2020, 12:41 AM
To be fair to Bolles, that was another awful penalty. Like, that ref should be fined for how bad that call was.

Also to be fair to Lock, he deserves a real LT.

Simple Jaded
01-01-2020, 05:23 AM
To be fair to Bolles, that was another awful penalty. Like, that ref should be fined for how bad that call was.

Also to be fair to Lock, he deserves a real LT.

To be fair to Kinger ... that’s fair analysis.

Shazam!
01-01-2020, 05:33 AM
Was a shot at J. James.

It's also a shot at Bolles. There's no way that can be seen as anything but.

I didn't take it that way.

Davii
01-01-2020, 09:40 PM
I didn't take it that way.

The entire rest of the planet did.