PDA

View Full Version : 100 Greatest Plays in NFL History

FanInAZ
09-14-2019, 01:00 AM
This upcoming season, in celebration of NFL 100, iconic voices from all walks of life will countdown the greatest moments, milestones, and people that have shaped this great game over the last hundred years in the NFL Films all new original series the "NFL 100 Greatest"

https://www.nfl.com/100/originals/100-greatest/browse-videos

I received a push notice by NFLN that Von Miller’s strip sack of Cam Newton in SB 50 made the list of 100 greatest plays in NFL history. Once I found the link, I saw that it was 1 of 5 Broncos plays that made the list that only shows 31-100 so far. Of course the list is subjective, but that doesn’t change the fact that the NFLN is back to its old tricks of trying to invent controversy while making these lists by including entries that are so absurd that any halfway knowledgeable football fan or expert would reject them straight up. Unless of course you believe that Sanchez’s butt fumble is truly 1 of the greatest plays in NFL history. I’d buy it was 1 of the greatest bloopers in NFL history no QB would want to emulate, but not 1 of the greatest plays that they would dream of making themselves.

In any case, here is the list of what the NFLN considers to be the top 5 plays in Broncos’ history, assuming of course they believe that Elway’s helicopter was the greatest ever and so there won’t be any in the top 30. However, this is the NFLN, so they could have 1 more that list for no other reason then to try to incite a riot in Broncos’ Country:

#83: Steve Atwater Stops Christian Okoye
"We could hear that from the sidelines. I mean I think it stopped everything." - John Elway

The Chiefs’ Christian Okoye, lightning fast and a bruising 260 pounds, was a feared and punishing Pro Bowl running back nicknamed “The Nigerian Nightmare.” The Broncos’ Steve Atwater, known as “The Smiling Assassin,” was a 6-3, 220-pound Pro Bowl free safety famous for his devastating hits. On September 17, 1990, during an AFC West showdown at Denver’s Mile High Stadium on Monday Night Football, the two men’s careers would collide – literally and with crushing force. Okoye, who had gained 1,480 yards the previous season, took a handoff and broke loose in the backfield – and was headed toward Atwater with a head of steam. Atwater, unfazed and approaching at full speed himself, lowered his shoulder and hit Okoye with a power that sent Okoye staggering backward and onto the ground. The Broncos won the game 24-23. Atwater, who was 23 and in his second NFL season, played nine more seasons in the league and would continue to be remembered for that hit. Okoye, meanwhile, retired two seasons later.

https://www.nfl.com/100/originals/100-greatest/plays-83

#77: Von Miller Strip Sack in SB 50
"If you watch the highlight, I never break eye contact with the ball." - Von Miller

In Super Bowl 50, an impressive defensive play by a Pro Bowl linebacker helped the Broncos to an upset win and their first NFL title this century. On February 7, 2016, with the Broncos beating the Panthers 3-0 at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif, Carolina had a 3rd and 10 from their own 15 with 6:35 left in the first quarter. From the shotgun, QB Cam Newton went back to pass and was blindsided at the 5 by Broncos’ linebacker Von Miller, who had motored around a blocker to Newton’s right. Miller stripped the ball loose; it bounced into the end zone and was pounced on by Malik Jackson, a Denver defensive tackle, for a touchdown. The Broncos, who had entered the game as solid underdogs, prevailed 24-10 as Miller – who finished with 2.5 sacks and two forced fumbles – won the Super Bowl MVP.

https://www.nfl.com/100/originals/100-greatest/plays-77

#76: Tebow to Thomas for Game-Winning TD
"Tim Tebow finds a way to win the game for you." - Von Miller

With a Wild Card game in the balance, Denver’s Tim Tebow completed the most important pass of his career. It was early on a Denver evening in January of 2012, and the Broncos – who’d snuck into the playoffs with an 8-8 record – were heavy underdogs against 12-4 Pittsburgh. But with home field advantage, the Broncos managed to match the Steelers in regulation, 23-23. On the first play of overtime, from the Pittsburgh 20, the left-handed Tebow faked a handoff, reared back and threw a nice ball down the middle to an open wide receiver, Demaryius Thomas. Thomas stiff-armed a would-be tackler and then used some remarkable speed to outrun two Steelers for an 80-yard TD and a 29-23 victory. Never in NFL history had an OT period been so brief; for Tebow, who completed less than half of his passes during his very short career, the game was his best-ever: he threw for 316 yards. None of that magic carried over to the next game, however, as Tebow and the Broncos got trounced at New England, 45 to 10.

https://www.nfl.com/100/originals/100-greatest/plays-76

#49: Castille Strips Byner to Cause "The Fumble"
"It was a miracle, except that he did it on purpose." - Karl Mecklenburg

“The Fumble,” the most unfortunate play in Cleveland Browns history, prevented the franchise from reaching its first Super Bowl. On January 17, 1988, in the AFC Championship Game at Denver’s Mile High Stadium, the Browns overcame a 21-3 deficit to tie the game at 31 in the fourth quarter. After the Broncos scored a touchdown for a 38-31 lead, the Browns drove down the field to Denver’s 8 with just over a minute left and a chance to send it to overtime. In the backfield was RB Earnest Byner, who’d already netted close to 200 scrimmage yards and scored two touchdowns. QB Bernie Kosar handed him the ball, and Byner followed a block to his left, stutter-stepped outside, then cut back to the middle, closing in on the end zone. Byner crossed the goal line standing up – but empty-handed; Broncos defensive back Jeremiah Castille had stripped Byner at the 2, and Denver recovered it, ending the Browns’ chances. Now, over 30 years later, Cleveland has still yet to play in a Super Bowl.

https://www.nfl.com/100/originals/100-greatest/plays-49

#33: John Elway's Helicopter Spin

"I put my six inch vertical on them and go over the top." - John Elway

The word “sacrifice” in sports can be clichéd and misused, but if ever a play demanded the use of that term, it was in the third quarter of a tie game in Super Bowl XXXII, in January 1998 at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego. The context: the Broncos, who had never won a Super Bowl, were 11-point underdogs against the Packers, who were aiming for their second straight title. Quarterback John Elway, 37 years old and in his second-to-last season, was a sure-fire Hall of Famer but – having never won the big one – had an incomplete legacy. It was 17-17, and Elway had led a long Denver drive but faced a third down and 6 from the Packers’ 12. Elway dropped back and, unable to find receivers and feeling pressure, began to run with it, needing to reach the 6 for a first down. He gained a few yards but lurking and in position were a trio of Packers, ready to punish Elway should he be courageous – or silly – enough to test them. Rather than be content with a field goal, at the 7 yard line Elway jumped headfirst into the air, where a Green Bay defender took out Elway’s knee and Elway was spun around 360 degrees for the first down. Denver scored a touchdown two plays later to take a 24-17 lead; that seven points would represent the deciding margin, as the Broncos won the Super Bowl 31-24.

https://www.nfl.com/100/originals/100-greatest/plays-33

MOtorboat
09-14-2019, 03:40 AM
That Atwater hit is the greatest hit I’ve ever seen. And it’s probably legal today, which says something. It’s way too low, but I get that the stakes were lower than other plays.

Put him in the Hall!

Poet
09-14-2019, 01:04 PM
Drown in the mother ******* Atwater!

wayninja
09-14-2019, 01:12 PM
Tebow to DT has to annoy some people. I like that.