PDA

View Full Version : Practice / press conference notes - week 2 (Bears week)

VonDoom
09-11-2019, 01:00 PM
Pretty sure we’ll start getting some quotes later but for now, TV maps are up:

https://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2019&wk=2

Denver Native (Carol)
09-11-2019, 01:03 PM
Just started

LIVE: Wednesday press conferences

Sep 11, 2019
Coach Fangio and quarterback Joe Flacco address the media

https://www.denverbroncos.com/video/live-friday-media-availability

Shazam!
09-11-2019, 01:51 PM
I thin doubleheader on FOX on EC

VonDoom
09-11-2019, 02:29 PM
Andrew Mason @MaseDenver 1h
Vic Fangio: Ja’Wuan James will “miss a couple of weeks … and then from there we’ll see.” Knee sprain “which can mean a lot of things,” Fangio said

Fangio says he has “good confidence” in Elijah Wilkinson at RT.

Nicki Jhabvala @NickiJhabvala 1h
Fangio said ILB Todd Davis (calf) will practice on a limited basis. CB Bryce Callahan (foot) will not practice.

Cecil Lammey @CecilLammey 1h
"He's a very good athlete, he has a good feel of when to pull it down and run." Vic Fangio on Mitchell Trubisky #Broncos @1043TheFan

Cecil Lammey @CecilLammey 1h
"I really enjoyed coaching Danny (Trevathan). Fiery guy, plays hard, plays tough. Versatile." Vic Fangio #Broncos @1043TheFan

Troy Renck @TroyRenck 1h
#Broncos Fangio said need develop Duke Dawson, D. Harris to get them involved with Callahan still sidelined. #Denver7

Fangio: “It really is just another game, especially coming off of our last game.”

Vic Fangio said he didn’t know much about Khalil Mack before the Bears traded for him, “and then when we got him, and it was after a few days, and it was like, ‘Holy shit.’"

VonDoom
09-11-2019, 02:30 PM
Cecil Lammey @CecilLammey 55m
Joe Flacco "you have to rely on everyone on your team to do their job." #Broncos
@1043TheFan

Troy Renck @TroyRenck 54m
#Broncos Flacco said there were plays for Sanders in first half. Didn't work out. But getting him the ball is an important part of game plan. #Denver7

Kyle Fredrickson @kylefredrickson 54m
Joe Flacco on Vic Fangio's knowledge of the Bears' defense: "I'm sure he's talked to our coordinators and offensive staff about it and I'll pick his brain for sure."

Cecil Lammey @CecilLammey 54m
Joe Flacco on Courtland Sutton "It was good to see him play the way he did. I think he's going to be big for us as the season goes on." #Broncos @1043TheFan

Kyle Fredrickson @kylefredrickson 53m
Flacco on his growing relationship with C Connor McGovern: "He does a great job of getting to the line of scrimmage and making calls quickly ... we'll do more and more things with our cadence as the season goes on."

Zac Stevens @ZacStevensBSN 52m
Flacco: “There’s always the most improvement from Week 1 to Week 2”

Hawgdriver
09-11-2019, 02:45 PM
Vic Fangio said he didn’t know much about Khalil Mack before the Bears traded for him, “and then when we got him, and it was after a few days, and it was like, ‘Holy shit.’"

:laugh:

Cugel
09-12-2019, 01:29 AM
Fangio says he has “good confidence” in Elijah Wilkinson at RT.

The Joe Flacco fumble in the red zone was because Wilkinson came in, and whiffed on his man who strip sacked Flacco. Wilkinson recovered the fumble but the drive stalled.

They just made James the highest paid RT in football and he lasted 1 quarter of the first game. Now they have zero backups on their OL in case they need to substitute for anybody else, but Ron Leary is also injured (still). He hasn't been healthy in years.

Elevation inc
09-12-2019, 01:59 AM
Wilkinson had a horrible start to that game, but he came in cold and is the back-up for multiple spots...He actually had better pass protection as the game went on, but his first 15-20 minutes was horrendous. I saw enough last year though to think we will be fine with him. He will get all the reps at RT this week so I expect a better performance next week. Leary hasn't actually played since last year and it showed, but I think that's all that was. The OL wasn't actually that horrible overall. Wilkinson got owned in pass protection, Leary got owned in both and Bolles struggled a bit in the run game. However there were plenty of times when Flacco had time and no one could get open.

This happened last year when sanders went down. Sutton couldn't beat double teams, and the other Wr's couldn't get open. Sanders is going to be double teamed a lot, so Sutton having a good game should start to open things up for both. If Hamilton catches the ball were going to make some noise on offense if Flacco doesn't turn it over and give up dumb sacks in field goal range to lose points.

We also need Lindsay to shake and bake like he did last year, It seemed like he wanted to take everyone on against Oakland instead of using his absolute elite vision....he played very poorly Monday but it was also his first game back from injury....lets hope he goes back to using that elite vision and following his lanes, instead of trying to blow up 250 lb LB's and safties lol.

I also for the love of god want us to stop throwing plays short of the sticks on 3rd down....I would rather have a incomplete attempt on 3rd and 7 that was to get us 10 or 11 yds then a 3yd pass short of the sticks where we still have to punt....WTF seriously this has been a thing for like 3 years......:lol:

Cugel
09-12-2019, 10:18 AM
Well, Trevor Siemian is now sporting a full Mullet. And he's now the starter for the Jets against Baker Mayfield and the Browns since Sam Darnold has Mono.

We know what Peyton thought of his Mullet, but Peyton is retired now so Trevor is apparently unleashed like Samson. It will be interesting to compare our new QB versus our Old busted QB.

I'm actually betting on Trevor to have a better day, but I still don't want him back.

Peyton Manning not a fan of rookie Trevor Siemian's 'borderline mullet' haircut (https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/822101)

"I told Trevor, 'Just because I spared you from getting your head shaved doesn’t mean … you still need a haircut.' He's got a bad haircut. It's borderline mullet at this point.

"So I said, 'Don't take advantage of my generosity … get a haircut. Represent the QBs. Look sharp.' He hasn't done it yet."

VonDoom
09-12-2019, 01:59 PM
Nicki Jhabvala @NickiJhabvala 42m
Vic Fangio said ILB Todd Davis (calf) looked “much improved” and he is “encouraged” he might be able to go Sunday. CB Bryce Callahan (foot) will be limited in practice.

Troy Renck @TroyRenck 40m
#Broncos Fangio said @VonMiller played better people think bc of how well did in run game. #Denver7

Troy Renck @TroyRenck 36m
#Broncos Fangio said Yaidom must improve and win some 1 on 1s. And that Jackson will be more comfortable in Week 2 playing more CB after playing so much safety in camp #Denver7

Ryan Koenigsberg @RyanKoenigsberg 44m
Vic Fangio on Garett Bolles: “I didn’t like that he kind of looked like he lost his composure after a play or two. He overcame that, though, and didn’t get any unnecessary penalties.”

Troy Renck @TroyRenck 33m
#Broncos Scangarello said turf/dirt was issue for @ESanders_10, echoing what Sanders said. Said had TD in red zone but Sanders slipped and fell. He’s a priority. He also discussed Wilkinson filling in for James #Denver7

Troy Renck @TroyRenck 29m
#Broncos Scangarello said “When you go against Bears defense you know where you stand.” Said key for Flacco is to take care of ball while taking a few chances #Denver7

Troy Renck @TroyRenck 20m
#Broncos @VonMiller said wasn’t enough to play better in run game. Said he is a tougher player, playing more snaps, has better understanding of D and leadership. He looks forward to Week 2. #Denver7

Troy Renck @TroyRenck 19m
#Broncos @VonMiller said every defense needs a thug. Said that’s why defense will benefit from Todd Davis’ return. “He’s our thug. Our big hit guy.” #Denver7

Ryan Koenigsberg @RyanKoenigsberg 23m
Von Miller asked if he’s able to appreciate other things he did well in the game despite not getting to the QB: “If I don’t get a sack, imma be upset. Y’all been knowing me for nine years. If I don’t get a sack and we lose, that’s a double loss.”

Troy Renck @TroyRenck 18m
#Broncos @ChrisHarrisJr believes Yaidom will bounce back. “He’s angry. He wants to go back out there and prove it.” #Denver7

NightTrainLayne
09-12-2019, 02:25 PM
Troy Renck @TroyRenck 18m
#Broncos @ChrisHarrisJr believes Yaidom will bounce back. “He’s angry. He wants to go back out there and prove it.” #Denver7

Is he planning to prove he's angry, or just terrible?

Davii
09-12-2019, 02:39 PM

Both?

underrated29
09-12-2019, 02:42 PM

Hes going to pull a Cam Newton and fall down on the field and roll around

Denver Native (Carol)
09-12-2019, 05:56 PM
Mike Klis
‏Verified account @MikeKlis
1m1 minute ago

Broncos will have moment of silence for Pat Bowlen, the team’s HOF owner who passed away in June, prior to game vs Bears. Should be a moving gesture at newly named Empower Field at Mile High. #9sports

Denver Native (Carol)
09-12-2019, 06:01 PM
Mike Klis Retweeted
Bill Cowher
‏Verified account @CowherCBS
8h8 hours ago

No time to panic if your team lost week 1. Last year 7 of the 12 PO teams lost week 1. 5 of those 7 won in week 2. The season is a marathon, not a sprint. It takes 4 weeks to truly assess your STRENGTHS and more importantly...your LIMITATIONS. Enjoy the process everyone.

NightTrainLayne
09-13-2019, 01:02 PM
Mike Klis Retweeted
Bill Cowher
‏Verified account @CowherCBS
8h8 hours ago

No time to panic if your team lost week 1. Last year 7 of the 12 PO teams lost week 1. 5 of those 7 won in week 2. The season is a marathon, not a sprint. It takes 4 weeks to truly assess your STRENGTHS and more importantly...your LIMITATIONS. Enjoy the process everyone.

None of those teams lost to the Raiders I bet.

VonDoom
09-13-2019, 02:12 PM
Nicki Jhabvala @NickiJhabvala
Broncos ILB Todd Davis (calf) and CB Bryce Callahan (foot) are QUESTIONABLE for Sunday.

Nicki Jhabvala @NickiJhabvala
Ron Leary, Chris Harris and Trey Marshall will be game-day captains for the Broncos on Sunday.

VonDoom
09-13-2019, 03:36 PM

No but the Saints lost to the Buccaneers and gave up 48 points, and they should have gone to the Super Bowl.

I’m not comparing our current situation to that team by any means - just pointing out one I remember shocking me last year

Davii
09-13-2019, 03:43 PM
No but the Saints lost to the Buccaneers and gave up 48 points, and they should have gone to the Super Bowl.

I’m not comparing our current situation to that team by any means - just pointing out one I remember shocking me last year

Didn't the Saints start out 0-2 last year? They're typically a slow starting team.

Hawgdriver
09-13-2019, 03:52 PM

ouch

Hawgdriver
09-13-2019, 03:54 PM
Didn't the Saints start out 0-2 last year? They're typically a slow starting team.

Marathon, not a sprint...

At the same time, I'd rather not have to search out silver linings and consolations.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-13-2019, 06:27 PM
I don’t like the “game day captains” thing. At first, I thought it was good and it might make guys take a little more ownership, but with how flat and uninspired we came out last week, I’d rather have some captains who can motivate and lead the team. We need some rah rah guys, or at least some hard asses who can motivate teammates if they’re not playing well.

Also, having guys the coaches can depend on to motivate and coach on the field is essential.

LawDog
09-13-2019, 07:54 PM
I’m headed to Denver tomorrow, pretty sure Spikerman is too. Anyone going to game going to tailgate?

Denver Native (Carol)
09-14-2019, 11:40 AM
FOX Sports color analyst Mark Schlereth: Bears' defense presents biggest challenge of the season

Sep 13, 2019
FOX Sports color analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the Bears' defense, Joe Flacco's Week 1 performance and possible adjustments we will see from Vic Fangio this Sunday.

https://www.denverbroncos.com/video/fox-sports-color-analyst-mark-schlereth-bears-defense-presents-biggest-challenge

This confirms what Mark said in regards to Emmanuel slipping

Troy Renck
‏Verified account @TroyRenck
Sep 10

Troy Renck Retweeted Troy Renck

#Broncos Sanders said he didn’t play well enough. Said he was frustrated. Explained That lack of targets in first half was on him bc he was slipping on dirt and grass. Played well in second half, but was too late #Denver7

Denver Native (Carol)
09-14-2019, 03:52 PM
Mike Klis
21m21 minutes ago

Austin Schlottmann (interior), Jake Rodgers (tackles) will be Broncos backup OLinemen to starters (L to R): Bolles, Risner, McGovern, Leary, Wilkinson vs. Bears. #9sports

Mike Klis
31m31 minutes ago

Mike Klis Retweeted Mike Klis

Broncos didn’t have a swing OT with Elijah Wilkinson moving up to replace Ja’Wuan James as starting RT. Rodgers fills void.
Rodgers was on initial 53, then cut next day to make room for Broncos 4 waiver claims — one of which was Levin. #9sports

Mike Klis
38m38 minutes ago

Broncos are promoting OT Jake Rodgers to 53, waiving OG/C Corey Levin per source. #9sports

spikerman
09-14-2019, 04:35 PM
I’m headed to Denver tomorrow, pretty sure Spikerman is too. Anyone going to game going to tailgate?

I’m here

Simple Jaded
09-14-2019, 10:36 PM
The Joe Flacco fumble in the red zone was because Wilkinson came in, and whiffed on his man who strip sacked Flacco. Wilkinson recovered the fumble but the drive stalled.

They just made James the highest paid RT in football and he lasted 1 quarter of the first game. Now they have zero backups on their OL in case they need to substitute for anybody else, but Ron Leary is also injured (still). He hasn't been healthy in years.

James isn’t the highest paid RT, never was.

Simple Jaded
09-14-2019, 10:44 PM
Mike Klis
21m21 minutes ago

Austin Schlottmann (interior), Jake Rodgers (tackles) will be Broncos backup OLinemen to starters (L to R): Bolles, Risner, McGovern, Leary, Wilkinson vs. Bears. #9sports

Mike Klis
31m31 minutes ago

Mike Klis Retweeted Mike Klis

Broncos didn’t have a swing OT with Elijah Wilkinson moving up to replace Ja’Wuan James as starting RT. Rodgers fills void.
Rodgers was on initial 53, then cut next day to make room for Broncos 4 waiver claims — one of which was Levin. #9sports

Mike Klis
38m38 minutes ago

Broncos are promoting OT Jake Rodgers to 53, waiving OG/C Corey Levin per source. #9sports

This is entirely unacceptable, when all is said/done Elway’s GM legacy will be marred by a complete inability to solve multiple issues.

Cugel
09-16-2019, 03:13 PM
Is it time to panic now? Or should we wait a week until after the Packers game?

Davii
09-16-2019, 03:28 PM
Is it time to panic now? Or should we wait a week until after the Packers game?

Panic all you want. Won't make any difference.

Poet
09-16-2019, 04:01 PM

Will you hold me, Davii. Will you ******* hold me?

wayninja
09-16-2019, 05:02 PM

Can we also panic about our inherent impotence?

spikerman
09-16-2019, 05:35 PM

Slut.

Davii
09-16-2019, 06:22 PM

Sure. You're always free to come watch a game with me as well. We'll BBQ.

Davii
09-16-2019, 06:23 PM
Can we also panic about our inherent impotence?

Impotence? Speak for yourself Brotato chip.

Simple Jaded
09-16-2019, 06:29 PM
I’ll panic when they flirt with a .500 record.

Davii
09-16-2019, 06:40 PM
I’ll panic when they flirt with a .500 record.

So, week 8 when we're "flirting" with it for the season?

wayninja
09-16-2019, 07:30 PM
Impotence? Speak for yourself Brotato chip.

Well, I didn't mean Thor's hammer. But as mighty as it is, it doesn't influence draft picks or overall broncos front office strategy.

spikerman
09-16-2019, 09:57 PM
I’m going to volunteer my time to come in and teach Scangarello what a play action pass is and explain that it’s a great play call on second and short. I won’t even charge much. Play calling is not as difficult as the Broncos have made it look the last few years.

You’re welcome.

Simple Jaded
09-17-2019, 08:14 PM
So, week 8 when we're "flirting" with it for the season?

I don’t know what you’re asking.

8-8 is worst thing that could happen to this team, they go .500-ish this regime will never get out of .500-ish.

spikerman
09-17-2019, 08:23 PM
The good news is that based on what we’ve seen so far I don’t think we have to worry about 8-8.