PDA

View Full Version : The Broncos restructure Joe Flacco’s contract

ShaneFalco
09-10-2019, 07:14 PM
The Broncos restructure Joe Flacco’s contract, creating $13.6 million in cap room
117 comments

Looks like Joe Flacco may be the Broncos quarterback for now and later.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2019/9/7/20854160/the-broncos-restructure-joe-flaccos-contract-creating-13-6-million-in-cap-room

translation : go **** yourself drew lock. we got our uninspired leader to lose for 3 years in a row.

ShaneFalco
09-10-2019, 07:16 PM
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1170297008537690113

Davii
09-10-2019, 07:20 PM
https://www.milehighreport.com/2019/9/7/20854160/the-broncos-restructure-joe-flaccos-contract-creating-13-6-million-in-cap-room

translation : go **** yourself drew lock. we got our uninspired leader to lose for 3 years in a row.

How is that the translation? That's foolish to think it means anything of the sort.

Lock is under contract for the duration and, if he beats Flacco out, Flacco will be the backup.

That contract doesn't make Flacco a starter, it makes him a Bronco and two of those years are voidable.

ShaneFalco
09-10-2019, 07:21 PM
How is that the translation? That's foolish to think it means anything of the sort.

Lock is under contract for the duration and, if he beats Flacco out, Flacco will be the backup.

That contract doesn't make Flacco a starter, it makes him a Bronco and two of those years are voidable.
he is due 20m per year in 2020 and 2021, Lock will never see the field.

i dont even know why they bothered to draft him.

Davii
09-10-2019, 07:23 PM

Oh, so a paycheck earns your position....

That's a really shitty take Shane.

BroncoWave
09-10-2019, 07:23 PM

Or they can just cut him. Even with the cap hit, we'd still not have that much cap space devoted to the QB position relative to the cap. Relax man.

ShaneFalco
09-10-2019, 07:24 PM
Oh, so a paycheck earns your position....

That's a really shitty take Shane.

After watching keesum play the entire last year. yes. i believe on the broncos, paycheck earns your QB position.

not saying it applies to whole team. Just the QB room.

Davii
09-10-2019, 07:25 PM
Or they can just cut him. Even with the cap hit, we'd still not have that much cap space devoted to the QB position relative to the cap. Relax man.

Or he could be a backup.

Add Flacco and Lock together and we're still less than many starting QBs make alone.

Davii
09-10-2019, 07:26 PM
After watching keesum play the entire last year. yes. i believe on the broncos, paycheck earns your QB position.

not saying it applies to whole team. Just the QB room.

Still a stupid shitty take.

Nobody on this team last year took the job. Rumor had it Chad was about to but he drank/drugged himself off the roster.

BroncoWave
09-10-2019, 07:27 PM
Or he could be a backup.

Add Flacco and Lock together and we're still less than many starting QBs make alone.

I'd imagine we'll probably let Flacco go if/when Lock wins the job. The dead cap figure isn't that bad, especially considering the cap continuing to rise.

Davii
09-10-2019, 07:30 PM
I'd imagine we'll probably let Flacco go if/when Lock wins the job. The dead cap figure isn't that bad, especially considering the cap continuing to rise.

No doubt. Point being this move does not put us in a position where he MUST be our starter, or even on the team.

BroncoWave
09-10-2019, 07:31 PM
No doubt. Point being this move does not put us in a position where he MUST be our starter, or even on the team.

Right. NFL contracts simply aren't real. They are pretty much all year to year. This ain't the NBA.

Davii
09-10-2019, 07:32 PM
Right. NFL contracts simply aren't real. They are pretty much all year to year. This ain't the NBA.

It does, however, make me wonder what Elway is planning to do with the 13 million he just freed up this year.

Canmore
09-10-2019, 07:40 PM
Someone who can cover a tight end?

Davii
09-10-2019, 07:44 PM

Maybe an OT?

BroncoWave
09-10-2019, 07:45 PM
It does, however, make me wonder what Elway is planning to do with the 13 million he just freed up this year.

Yeah that's the far more intriguing angle here. Hopefully a corner and/or o-lineman.

Simple Jaded
09-10-2019, 09:31 PM
Trent Williams babies!

dogfish
09-10-2019, 09:59 PM

roll it over to next year, most likely. . . that makes the most sense, barring an unlikely scenario where we could get a talented young player at a position of need. . .

Cugel
09-14-2019, 05:52 PM
Or he could be a backup.

Of course you are right. His dead cap hit next year would be $13.6m. A lot, but if the team tanks they will have a ton of cap room from parting ways with Emanuel Sanders, Derek Wolfe and Chris Harris. They are likely to lose all three to FA anyway. You could add Von Miller to the list if they have to rebuild from scratch after a 6-10 season or something.

NFL Contracts: Cowboys’ Dak Prescott Demanding $40 Million Annually? (https://www.forbes.com/sites/vincentfrank/2019/08/12/nfl-contracts-cowboys-dak-prescott-demanding-40-million-annually/#38e3b65760ee)

Dak probably won't get $40m, but more like somewhere around $117m guaranteed, or $7m more than what Jared Goff's contract. Perhaps $33m a year. That's what really GOOD starting QBs get. $18.5m is now chump change for a starting QB.

When the Chiefs have to redo Pat Mahomes' deal it will easily top $40m a year.

The Broncos can absolutely cut Flacco if it doesn't work out with him. They would take a cap hit, but they can easily afford it.

On the other hand they can make Flacco a backup if Drew Lock impresses this season. Elway would like to have Flacco around for another 3 years, but that might not work out, and nothing has really changed as a result of this deal.

Dapper Dan
09-14-2019, 08:24 PM

Talib