PDA

View Full Version : Surprise Cut Predictions

Ziggy
08-30-2019, 07:50 AM
There are surprises every year. I'm not sure any of us expected Dakota Watson to be cut last week. There should be a couple of more surprises over the next two days. Post your predictions. Here's mine:

Troy Fumagalli- His blocking has been horrendous in the preseason. Orson Charles has looked good and can double as an emergency fullback.

Devontae Booker- This one would surprise me, but it's still possible. He hasn't had a chance to make his case in the preseason. He's sat with the starters every game, which tells me that this is a long shot to happen. However, Khalfani Muhammad has flashed consistently and is a solid kickoff returner.

Su'a Cravens- He's not a lock to make this roster. It will depend on how many safeties the Broncos keep. He made a big play last night to cause a fumble, but also missed a big tackle- a huge no-no with Fangio.

I would list Hogan as well, but I don't think it would surprise too many people.

spikerman
08-30-2019, 11:20 AM
Well, it was surprising to me, but it looks like Barclay was cut.

Ziggy
08-30-2019, 11:41 AM
...And there goes Su'a.

spikerman
08-30-2019, 11:42 AM
Not a Bronco anymore, but the Raiders cut Brandon Marshall.

Ziggy
08-30-2019, 11:42 AM
Well, it was surprising to me, but it looks like Barclay was cut.

Barclay might have been the worst blocking Olineman on the team outside of Rogers.

BroncoWave
08-30-2019, 11:43 AM
Cravens is gone. Good call Ziggy.

pnbronco
08-30-2019, 11:56 AM
...And there goes Su'a.

I knew it last night, I could see it in his body when he was walking out. I'll miss him a lot. He was listed on the bubble very early on and had to do extra to stick around.

Is this the thread of keeping track of the cuts? I really, really hate this day and would like one place to go, read and cry. Thanks!

wayninja
08-30-2019, 11:59 AM
I'm mildly surprised by Su'a. The guys above below him on the depth chart are really better?

Spiritguy
08-30-2019, 12:00 PM
per Mike Klis so far

S Su'a Cravens
OL Jake Brendel
OL Adam Bisnowaty
G Don Barclay
CB Rashard Causey

Add WR Brendan Langley

pnbronco
08-30-2019, 12:02 PM
I really don't get it either Ninja. He is a fantastic leader with the DB's. You could see it all camp. He fit in really nice the 2 new guys and Chris and Justin. Plus he had a way of keeping the energy up with those guys. He loved it here in Denver so this is tough.

pnbronco
08-30-2019, 12:07 PM

Do think they will bring Brandon back given how thin we are that position? Plus him being with the 1st team we'll play couldn't hurt. I read that Denver is the first team on his list, so this could be interesting.

Spiritguy
08-30-2019, 12:09 PM
https://twitter.com/MikeKlis/status/1167481832432005120

pnbronco
08-30-2019, 12:10 PM
Just another side note.... Former Broncos 1st Rounder Shane Ray has been waived by the Ravens.

pnbronco
08-30-2019, 12:13 PM
Sorry to post so much, I really hate this day and all of you are my emotional support system. Just saw this and it could be bad for River Cracraft and yes I really like him too, dang it.

Ryan Edwards
@redwardsradio
·
2m
Could be a name to monitor if the #Broncos decide they are in the market for a returner...which, let's be honest, they should be
Quote Tweet

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
· 4m
Cardinals released WR Pharoh Cooper, per source.

OrangeHoof
08-30-2019, 04:42 PM
Saints have released CB Kayvon Webster.

wayninja
08-30-2019, 06:54 PM
Seattle chucked Lynch, setting the scene for his triumphant return to Denver riding the white stallion named "comeback."

tomjonesrocks
08-30-2019, 06:58 PM

I hope he re-signs. He's even taking up dead money for us - might as well recover some.

None of these guys can cover a TE better than he can... eff the politics.

tomjonesrocks
08-30-2019, 07:01 PM
Seattle chucked Lynch, setting the scene for his triumphant return to Denver riding the white stallion named "comeback."

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I strongly and pettily rooted for him to fail. And fail he did.

tomjonesrocks
08-30-2019, 07:02 PM
Just another side note.... Former Broncos 1st Rounder Shane Ray has been waived by the Ravens.

NFL is a brutal business.

Simple Jaded
08-30-2019, 08:30 PM
Cracks me up, the NFL can't wait to cut bait on PL talent but they hoard scrubs like Mullens and Rypien.

People wonder why it's so hard to develop QB's.

nevcraw
08-31-2019, 09:36 AM
Cracks me up, the NFL can't wait to cut bait on PL talent but they hoard scrubs like Mullens and Rypien.

Can’t wait to cut bait? It’s Year 4nfor Lynch. Don’t know about Rypien yet but Mullen’s was just flat out better than Lynch ever has been in year 1.

tomjonesrocks
08-31-2019, 09:43 AM
Can’t wait to cut bait? It’s Year 4nfor Lynch. Don’t know about Rypien yet but Mullen’s was just flat out better than Lynch ever has been in year 1.

I don't understand why there would be any remaining positive vibes for Lynch - he basically Call of Duty'd his way out of Denver. He wasted his talent with laziness and poor preparation. Outside of early preseason his first year he looked terrible every time we saw him. Reports out of Seattle when he first arrived cited lack of preparation. Guy just doesn't get it.

Shazam!
08-31-2019, 09:54 AM

I don't understand why there would be any remaining positive vibes for Lynch - he basically Call of Duty'd his way out of Denver. He wasted his talent with laziness and poor preparation. Outside of early preseason his first year he looked terrible every time we saw him. Reports out of Seattle when he first arrived cited lack of preparation. Guy just doesn't get it.

Lazy.

Ziggy
08-31-2019, 09:57 AM

PL has physical tools. He's not an NFL QB. Big big difference there. I can see where you might be confused.

Shazam!
08-31-2019, 10:27 AM

Trevor S has a job for life. Solid backups are hard to come by.

pnbronco
08-31-2019, 12:14 PM
Well dang.....new cuts from Kliss: DL Deyon Sizer, per source. Played at CSU-Pueblo, All this is from Klis unless stated differently

OLB Ahmad Gooden, per source,

WR Trinity Benson. Strong practice squad candidate,

OL John Leglue per source,

OL Tyler Jones, per source,

RB/returner Devontae Jackson,

ILB Keishawn Bierria, per source

G Sam Jones, per sources. Want him back on practice squad.

CB/S Alijah Holder, per source

Keishawn is such a sweet kid...there's my being bummed for the day. I know this is probably in another place, but this is my venting, :sad: place.

Just going to add here:

Broncos have waived FB George Aston, per source

From Nicki: Broncos waived ILB Jamal Carter, per source. Klis: Want him on practice squad.

I thought I saw something about another one, but still looking... maybe it wasn't true because I can't find it again...but I'm doing this for my own mental release...:lol:

Klis: Broncos have waived TE Moral Stephens, per source

Mike Rice has said this, but no else yet: RB Khalfani Muhammad so don't throw rocks, I'm just reading a posting and crying. Just saw this on Zac Stevens list too.

Klis: WR Kelvin McKnight, per source

Surpise: Broncos have cut QB Kevin Hogan, per source. oh my, does this mean something else....

LB Joe Dineen on season-ending IR, per source. His broken hand needs more time. (Klis)

Nicki: OL Quinn Bailey, per source. Practice-squad candidate.

Klis: S Shamarko Thomas has been released, per source

Dymonte Thomas has been waived/injured, per source

Nicki: Broncos releasing QB Brett Rypien, per source. Hope is he clears waivers so they can add him to the practice squad.

Klis: Veteran DL DeShawn Williams was cut, per source

Klis: WR Fred Brown has been waived

From Aric DiLalla: TE/FB Orson Charles,

DiLalla: OL Chaz Green

Northman
08-31-2019, 12:17 PM

Yea, im not ready to crown him anything but Mullins is light years better than Lynch.

pnbronco
08-31-2019, 12:18 PM
PL has physical tools. He's not an NFL QB. Big big difference there. I can see where you might be confused.

Paxton was a great kid, but he so lacked in either work ethic or he just couldn't learn the NFL play book. Not sure which is was, had the raw skills but not the rest to be able to function as a NFL QB.

pnbronco
08-31-2019, 12:19 PM
Yea, im not ready to crown him anything but Mullins is light years better than Lynch.

Don't you think Mullins understands he can be a good backup and be OK with that?

Northman
08-31-2019, 12:31 PM
Don't you think Mullins understands he can be a good backup and be OK with that?

Definitely.

Hardwired
08-31-2019, 12:43 PM
Broncos cut Kevin Hogan.

Northman
08-31-2019, 12:44 PM
Ooooh, thats big. Does that make Rypien #2 or are we going to grab another backup?

BroncoWave
08-31-2019, 12:45 PM
That's pretty surprising. Maybe Lock is healthy sooner than expected.

pnbronco
08-31-2019, 12:47 PM
Just adding to the list on #26, but Hogan got cut.....I does this mean anything else????

pnbronco
08-31-2019, 12:49 PM
Ooooh, thats big. Does that make Rypien #2 or are we going to grab another backup?

Great minds think alike....I was wondering the same thing. No way they trust Rypien and Drew's hand was all wrapped up on Thursday.

Shazam!
08-31-2019, 12:50 PM
They must think a helluva lot of Rypien, or they gonna bring in someone. Not sure if that'll happen.

pnbronco
08-31-2019, 12:54 PM
Rypien or they gonna bring in.someone

I think they are bringing someone in. No way they trust the first 4 games to Rypien. Drew could use his hand but it wrapped pretty tight and I'm guessing you need your thumb when you're a QB.

Northman
08-31-2019, 12:59 PM
I know Brock is floating out there.

pnbronco
08-31-2019, 01:01 PM
Mike Klis
@MikeKlis
·
18s
Just speculating: Released QB Brian Hoyer spent time with Kyle Shanahan/Rich Scangarello/TC McCartney in SF in 2017. With Kyle Shanahan in Cleveland in 2014 and Houston in 2015. He knows Broncos offensive system. Makes sense. #9sports

BroncoWave
08-31-2019, 01:12 PM
Another potential option

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1167861620732612609

HORSEPOWER 56
08-31-2019, 01:17 PM
If they want to risk it in week 1 and roll with Flacco, Rypien and a hurt Lock, they can bring Hogan back in week 2 without having to guarantee his salary for the season making him easy to cut once Lock is 100%.

Cutting a guy before week 1 then bringing him back week 2 is pretty common. I’d rather they bring back Sloter over Hogan or Hoyer.

Northman
08-31-2019, 01:17 PM
Another potential option

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1167861620732612609

I WOULD LOVE to bring him back.

BroncoWave
08-31-2019, 01:19 PM

I think the fact that two teams now have cut him should tell you all you need to know about him, but we'll see I guess.

Northman
08-31-2019, 01:28 PM
I think the fact that two teams now have cut him should tell you all you need to know about him, but we'll see I guess.

Its not so much about him being a starter but i do think he can make an adequate backup.

pnbronco
08-31-2019, 01:29 PM
If they want to risk it in week 1 and roll with Flacco, Rypien and a hurt Lock, they can bring Hogan back in week 2 without having to guarantee his salary for the season making him easy to cut once Lock is 100%.

Cutting a guy before week 1 then bringing him back week 2 is pretty common. I’d rather they bring back Sloter over Hogan or Hoyer.

That's right, I keep forgetting about the vet guarantee salary.

Also just saw this since we are talking about QB's

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
1m
Giants released QB Kyle Lauletta, per source.

Nomad
08-31-2019, 01:31 PM
Broncos cut Kevin Hogan.

Thanks for being a Bronco, Kevin Hogan.

pnbronco
08-31-2019, 01:31 PM

Me too North. The kid learned things quick. I think it was safe to say we didn't cut him because they didn't want him. They wanted him on the PS but MN wanted him more and offered him more money. Now things have changed in MN, which is normal. I would love Sloter, but does Elway?

pnbronco
08-31-2019, 01:34 PM
Klis finally has this out: Broncos waived RB Khalfani Muhammad, per source so Rice was right. see #26 for complete list

pnbronco
08-31-2019, 01:43 PM
Dianna
@diannaESPN
Sources in Denver tell me the Broncos are interested in bringing in Quarterback Brian Hoyer #Broncos

sorry Ziggy I've turned this into what's going on today instead of shocking cuts

TXBRONC
08-31-2019, 01:49 PM
Well dang.....new cuts from Kliss: DL Deyon Sizer, per source. Played at CSU-Pueblo, All this is from Klis unless stated differently

OLB Ahmad Gooden, per source,

WR Trinity Benson. Strong practice squad candidate,

OL John Leglue per source,

OL Tyler Jones, per source,

RB/returner Devontae Jackson,

ILB Keishawn Bierria, per source

G Sam Jones, per sources. Want him back on practice squad.

CB/S Alijah Holder, per source

Keishawn is such a sweet kid...there's my being bummed for the day. I know this is probably in another place, but this is my venting, :sad: place.

Just going to add here:

Broncos have waived FB George Aston, per source

From Nicki: Broncos waived ILB Jamal Carter, per source.

I thought I saw something about another one, but still looking... maybe it wasn't true because I can't find it again...but I'm doing this for my own mental release...:lol:

Klis: Broncos have waived TE Moral Stephens, per source

Mike Rice has said this, but no else yet: RB Khalfani Muhammad so don't throw rocks, I'm just reading a posting and crying. Just saw this on Zac Stevens list too.

Klis: WR Kelvin McKnight, per source

Surpise: Broncos have cut QB Kevin Hogan, per source. oh my, does this mean something else....

LB Joe Dineen on season-ending IR, per source. His broken hand needs more time. (Klis)

I'm sure Hogan being cut means something more but exactly what means could be several thing. It could mean Lock will be ready to go next week or could mean that they're going to get Mullens from San Fran.

VonDoom
08-31-2019, 01:50 PM
I'm sure Hogan being cut means something more but exactly what means could be several thing. It could mean Lock will be ready to go next week or could mean that they're going to get Mullens from San Fran.

We're talking about this in the news thread, but it appears we have interest in Hoyer.

pnbronco
08-31-2019, 01:59 PM
We're talking about this in the news thread, but it appears we have interest in Hoyer.

I needed a safe play Von.....they understand that I do cry on cut day :D

and yup if you see the post I brought over from ESPN

pnbronco
08-31-2019, 02:02 PM
I'll add to the list but from Nicki:

OL Quinn Bailey, per source. Practice-squad candidate.

pnbronco
08-31-2019, 02:04 PM
this is really interesting to me and love Jake but I'm still surprised:

Mike Klis
@MikeKlis
·
3m
With TE Jake Butt expected to be on the Broncos' 53-man roster today, it appears he would be prime candidate to be placed Sunday on IR with possibility to return. #9sports

pnbronco
08-31-2019, 02:05 PM
More interesting info:

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
55s
Browns’ punter Britton Colquitt will be released today if he’s not traded, per source. Expected to be a strong market for him.

can you understand why I rarely come here....it's a drug I can't stop once I get started....:laugh:

VonDoom
08-31-2019, 02:13 PM
More interesting info:

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
55s
Browns’ punter Britton Colquitt will be released today if he’s not traded, per source. Expected to be a strong market for him.

can you understand why I rarely come here....it's a drug I can't stop once I get started....:laugh:

Bronco reunion?

VonDoom
08-31-2019, 02:14 PM
this is really interesting to me and love Jake but I'm still surprised:

Mike Klis
@MikeKlis
·
3m
With TE Jake Butt expected to be on the Broncos' 53-man roster today, it appears he would be prime candidate to be placed Sunday on IR with possibility to return. #9sports

I’m sure he’ll go on IR. Whether we bring him back or not is another question. We don’t have to declare anything now

pnbronco
08-31-2019, 02:15 PM
Klis: S Shamarko Thomas has been released, per source

Dymonte Thomas has been waived/injured, per source :(

wayninja
08-31-2019, 02:17 PM
Woah, a hardwired sighting!

pnbronco
08-31-2019, 02:18 PM
Nicki Jhabvala
@NickiJhabvala
Broncos releasing QB Brett Rypien, per source. Hope is he clears waivers so they can add him to the practice squad.

So someone new because I really don't believe that Drew will be ready in a little over a week.

Northman
08-31-2019, 02:19 PM
Probably Hoyer.

wayninja
08-31-2019, 02:23 PM
Probably Hoyer.

http://giphygifs.s3.amazonaws.com/media/12XMGIWtrHBl5e/giphy.gif

pnbronco
08-31-2019, 02:31 PM
Glad you've come to the safe zone. I can cry you can yell.

pnbronco
08-31-2019, 02:32 PM
Mike Klis
@MikeKlis
·
4m
Rypien lands on waiver wire a little softer knowing he has $136,000 practice-squad salary guaranteed for 2019. #9sports
Quote Tweet

Mike Klis
@MikeKlis
· 5m
Confirming, Broncos waived rookie QB Brett Rypien. Drew Lock can't play week 1 so another QB is assuredly headed this way. #9sports

as a side note, my eyes were correct that Drew could not play right away....yes I got one right!

pnbronco
08-31-2019, 02:53 PM
Klis: Veteran DL DeShawn Williams was cut, per source

pnbronco
08-31-2019, 02:55 PM
Mike Klis
@MikeKlis
WR Fred Brown has been waived. River Cracraft has made it as No. 6 WR/punt returner. (for today, I don't expect this to last, but at least for today)

pnbronco
08-31-2019, 02:58 PM
Some good news, because I really like Mike.

Mike Klis
@MikeKlis
·
1m
I have been told DL Mike Purcell of Highlands Ranch has made the 53 for hometown team. Great story of resilience. Hasn't made big roster since 2016. Played in AAF this year. #9sports
Quote Tweet

Tned
08-31-2019, 02:58 PM

My thinking exactly. Fans love third string QBs -- apparently even one we cut and another team cut.

pnbronco
08-31-2019, 02:59 PM
Oh wow...did not expect this:

Brandon Krisztal
@BKDenverSports
With a need at Inside Linebacker, I’m told by an NFL Source, the Broncos are expected to bring in Super Bowl 50 Champ Corey Nelson, who was released by the Bucs yesterday for a physical with hopes of re-signing him.

pnbronco
08-31-2019, 03:10 PM
One last thing: I didn't think that they wanted to put Theo on IR, so must be complications. I'm sure more will happen in the next few days. Wow only Lock will go on recall IR.

Nicki Jhabvala
@NickiJhabvala
·
1m
Elway said Theo Riddick, Drew Lock and Jake Butt will all go on IR.

Ryan Edwards
@redwardsradio
·
1m
Elway on Lock going to IR “we needed that spot. My discussion with him today, it’s not a year off for him. Expect him to continue to work hard and learn the offense” #BroncosCountry
@KOAColorado

OrangeHoof
08-31-2019, 03:46 PM
Brian "The Playoff Destroyer" Hoyer? Somebody needs to hire a bodyguard for Flacco.

Shazam!
08-31-2019, 03:50 PM
Brian "The Playoff Destroyer" Hoyer? Somebody needs to hire a bodyguard for Flacco.

If Joe Cool gets ****ed up, its over.

pnbronco
08-31-2019, 04:06 PM
One more side post:
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
3m
Source: The #Patriots are releasing WR Demaryius Thomas, who flashed in the fourth preseason game. He’s still working his way back to health.

pnbronco
08-31-2019, 04:07 PM

:lol: It's sad and true but this still made me laugh.

Northman
08-31-2019, 04:10 PM
To bad for DT but he's been done for a couple of years now.

pnbronco
08-31-2019, 04:12 PM
To bad for DT but he's been done for a couple of years now.

I know and that car accident could not have helped.

Shazam!
08-31-2019, 04:14 PM
One more side post:
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
3m
Source: The #Patriots are releasing WR Demaryius Thomas, who flashed in the fourth preseason game. He’s still working his way back to health.

Surprised by this one

spikerman
08-31-2019, 04:28 PM
One more side post:
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
3m
I’m glad. Nothing against DT, but I did not want to see him playing games that count in that uniform.

Ziggy
08-31-2019, 10:05 PM
I can't help but think that the Broncos try to claim Pharoh Cooper. It just makes sense. He was in the McVay offense, made the pro bowl as a returner 2 years ago, returns both punts and kickoffs, is 24 years old, and you don't lose anything at receiver dropping Cracraft for him.

aberdien
08-31-2019, 11:50 PM
I miss Sua Cravens.

Timmy!
09-01-2019, 03:32 AM
1. There is no recall IR now, you don't have to designate players to return. You can pull any 2 players off IR each year after a certain time (6weeks, 8? Something like that).

2. #bringDThome

BroncoWave
09-01-2019, 06:34 AM
No thanks on DT. I love the guy, but he's washed up.

Northman
09-01-2019, 07:50 AM
Apparently there is some interest in bringing DT back to Denver.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/01/demaryius-thomas-could-end-up-back-in-denver/

Shazam!
09-01-2019, 07:59 AM

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/01/demaryius-thomas-could-end-up-back-in-denver/

Cut Jake Butt then at least its for someine who can actually contribute right away

slim
09-01-2019, 08:39 AM

I doubt this very much

Ziggy
09-01-2019, 10:01 AM
Cut Jake Butt then at least its for someine who can actually contribute right away

Butt is going to IR according to Elway, so he won't cost a roster spot unless they bring him back later in the year.

Shazam!
09-01-2019, 10:21 AM

Butt is going to IR according to Elway, so he won't cost a roster spot unless they bring him back later in the year.

Dude is done knees are shot. He'll never be able to contribute in a meaningful way on the Field full time. Wasting time with him. They need help desperately at TE he clearly will not be the answer.

Ziggy
09-01-2019, 01:20 PM
Broncos didn't have a single player claimed that they cut.

pnbronco
09-01-2019, 01:22 PM
Please explain if he has no regular NFL experience why he is the new backup.

Mike Klis
@MikeKlis
·
1h
New backup QB Brandon Allen a 6th round pick by Jax in 2016. Has no regular-season experience. Completed 12 of 19 for 162 yards in Rams' preseason week 3 games vs. Broncos, who are obviously impressed

Jsteve01
09-01-2019, 01:22 PM
Dude is done knees are shot. He'll never be able to contribute in a meaningful way on the Field full time. Wasting time with him. They need help desperately at TE he clearly will not be the answer.

I wonder if people said this about Terry Allen early in his career. odds are that you are correct. But there are guys were overcome chronic injury problems to become good players

Poet
09-01-2019, 01:24 PM
I love me some DT - I’m curious as to why he looked so good at the end of preseason - and in the right role I’d love to have him back.

VonDoom
09-01-2019, 01:29 PM
I love me some DT - I’m curious as to why he looked so good at the end of preseason - and in the right role I’d love to have him back.

According to Twitter, we have no interest in bringing him back.

wayninja
09-01-2019, 01:35 PM
Broncos didn't have a single player claimed that they cut.

Which clearly speaks to the genius of those cuts.

Shazam!
09-01-2019, 01:45 PM

Bro he looked good because he was schooling a 4th string D. He has no place in Denver other than Ring of Fame.

Ziggy
09-01-2019, 02:03 PM
Please explain if he has no regular NFL experience why he is the new backup.

Mike Klis
@MikeKlis
·
1h
New backup QB Brandon Allen a 6th round pick by Jax in 2016. Has no regular-season experience. Completed 12 of 19 for 162 yards in Rams' preseason week 3 games vs. Broncos, who are obviously impressed

The Broncos apparently like his upside far better than Hogan's skillset. Let's face it. If Flacco goes down, this team is up a creek without a paddle. A mediocre backup with NFL experience isn't going to change that. Might as well pick up the guy you think has the most upside.

pnbronco
09-01-2019, 02:22 PM
Thanks Ziggy, that does make sense and given what is probably out there, it really makes sense.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-01-2019, 02:51 PM

Demaryius Thomas could end up back in Denver

VonDoom
09-01-2019, 02:58 PM

That was a much earlier report citing a “league source”, whoever that may be. More recently our more trusted beat reporters have said otherwise. Here’s one:

https://twitter.com/troyrenck/status/1168122840387735559?s=21

Shazam!
09-01-2019, 02:59 PM

God please no. Den has a very young group of talented WRs and their growth would only be stunted.

NYG were supposed to be interested too

aberdien
09-01-2019, 03:02 PM
I would like to sign DT just to troll Wave.

tomjonesrocks
09-01-2019, 03:45 PM

Despite the really dubious incident with that car crash - DT is a good mentor for our young WRs and a Ring of Famer. Probably second only to Rod Smith ever to play the position here.

It's clear he doesn't have much left in the tank - if anything - but it would be nice to close the book on his noteworthy career as a Bronco.

I'm personally relieved I won't have to watch him catching passes for the Pats (edit - although I’m reading there could be mutual interest in him going back there mid season).

As weak as the roster is this year depth-wise they could make room. Who's growth would it be stunting? Hamilton? BFD.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-01-2019, 03:50 PM
Despite the incident with that car crash - DT is a good mentor for our young WRs and a Ring of Famer. It's clear he doesn't have much left in the tank - if anything - but it would be nice to close the book on his career as a Bronco.

I'm personally relieved I won't have to watch him catching passes for the Pats.

As weak as the roster is this year depth-wise they could make room. Who's growth would it be stunting? Hamilton? BFD.

He likely will be catching passes from Thom. They keep saying it. DT will likely be re-signed by the Pats after week 1. That way they don’t have to guarantee his salary for the entire season.

pnbronco
09-01-2019, 03:54 PM
He likely will be catching passes from Thom. They keep saying it. DT will likely be re-signed by the Pats after week 1. That way they don’t have to guarantee his salary for the entire season.

Thanks Horse, that's what I was thinking. It's the old vet loop. Sign after the season starts and no guaranteed salary.

TXBRONC
09-01-2019, 04:04 PM

Well it is Pro Football Talk which is kind of like tabloid version of news. Every great once in awhile they get something right but most of the time they're dead wrong.

It doesn't make sense to me bring him back because all that would do potentially is get in the way of the development of our young receivers.

BroncoWave
09-01-2019, 04:15 PM

Fair.

Poet
09-01-2019, 04:24 PM
Bro he looked good because he was schooling a 4th string D. He has no place in Denver other than Ring of Fame.

Maybe he's a candidate for a possession WR now? It's not the craziest thing in the world to take a look or consider.

Shazam!
09-01-2019, 05:05 PM

Maybe he's a candidate for a possession WR now? It's not the craziest thing in the world to take a look or consider.

He can't play slot. He tore his achilles in Dec. Hes done.

Poet
09-01-2019, 05:07 PM

He didn't necessarily look done and completely out of the league. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in, checking where he is mentally, and seeing if he can do it. Was it only because competition that he looked good or not? I don't think anyone can say, with certainty, one way or another.

Shazam!
09-01-2019, 05:22 PM

He didn't necessarily look done and completely out of the league. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in, checking where he is mentally, and seeing if he can do it. Was it only because competition that he looked good or not? I don't think anyone can say, with certainty, one way or another.

Bro hes an all pro who was playing against a bunch of guys who will be working at a T-Mobile store in a few months.

Who would they let go to make room for him?

Poet
09-01-2019, 05:29 PM
Bro hes an all pro who was playing against a bunch of guys who will be working at a T-Mobile store in a few months.

Who would they let go to make room for him?

He's an all pro, but that shouldn't matter if he's washed up, right? But, if he's not washed up, IDK. Cart before the horse. I'm just curious.

Timmy!
09-01-2019, 11:56 PM
He's not done, but he's gonna be a patriot :vomit:

VonDoom
09-02-2019, 10:56 AM
To put a bow on this one:

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
13m
Patriots now are re-signing WR Demaryius Thomas to a one-year deal, per source. Thomas was released with the idea of returning.

Shazam!
09-02-2019, 11:00 AM
To put a bow on this one:

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
13m
Patriots now are re-signing WR Demaryius Thomas to a one-year deal, per source. Thomas was released with the idea of returning.

At least the clamoring for him will stop.

Elevation inc
09-04-2019, 04:59 AM
The hate here for DT at times blows my mind....We could have used him last year. Sutton and Hamilton were not ready to be anointed last year like we did by trading DT away....Hindsight is 20/20 but I would have taken a healthy DT in a heartbeat over Sutton and Hamilton when sanders went down....

Shazam!
09-04-2019, 05:22 AM
The hate here for DT at times blows my mind....We could have used him last year. Sutton and Hamilton were not ready to be anointed last year like we did by trading DT away....Hindsight is 20/20 but I would have taken a healthy DT in a heartbeat over Sutton and Hamilton when sanders went down....

I dont hate DT at all. Dude sacrificed himself physically for Denver and he gave everything for this offense. He was an important piece for PFM and all the Division titles and their SBs in that span. But lets be real. He's ancient by NFL time. His 10th season. Hes gonna get hurt. Hes gonna have those drops. He gonna quit his routes prematurely. We know wht wed be getting and it isnt enough at this stage. Its time to move on.

Elevation inc
09-04-2019, 05:50 AM
I dont hate DT at all. Dude sacrificed himself physically for Denver and he gave everything for this offense. He was an important piece for PFM and all the Division titles and their SBs in that span. But lets be real. He's ancient by NFL time. His 10th season. Hes gonna get hurt. Hes gonna have those drops. He gonna quit his routes prematurely. We know wht wed be getting and it isnt enough at this stage. Its time to move on.

Neither is our current WR core outside of sanders as they haven't proven a damn thing and the ones that were suppose to be the future pretty much choked the minute sanders went down last year. Lets be clear I like the potential of our WR core but lets be honest Sutton did not play all that great last year and neither did Hamilton. Spencer is here to return kicks but his WR ability in the NFL is unknown, Winfree shows but again no proof. We are moving on but last year it hurt us....The rookies weren't ready....

Shazam!
09-04-2019, 05:55 AM

Neither is our current WR core outside of sanders as they haven't proven a damn thing and the ones that were suppose to be the future pretty much choked the minute sanders went down last year. Lets be clear I like the potential of our WR core but lets be honest Sutton did not play all that great last year and neither did Hamilton. Spencer is here to return kicks but his WR ability in the NFL is unknown, Winfree shows but again no proof. We are moving on but last year it hurt us....The rookies weren't ready....

They were Rookies in a year that was totally lost with a horrid Coaching staff led by a gun shy QB. Its no wonder their growth was stunted.

A good QB will make wideouts that much better. Flacco's seen it all, let him set em up. Lets see wht they can do this year before we throw in the towel and call em busts.

Elevation inc
09-04-2019, 07:03 AM
They were Rookies in a year that was totally lost with a horrid Coaching staff led by a gun shy QB. Its no wonder their growth was stunted.

A good QB will make wideouts that much better. Flacco's seen it all, let him set em up. Lets see wht they can do this year before we throw in the towel and call em busts.

Being able to separate, hold onto the ball and run a effective route had more to do with the player then the staff, but I will agree they were rookies which is why I'm optimistic not overly pessimistic about them, as I alluded to already. With that being said they performed how they performed last year and it wasn't great.

Shazam!
09-04-2019, 07:10 AM

Being able to separate, hold onto the ball and run a effective route had more to do with the player then the staff, but I will agree they were rookies which is why I'm optimistic not overly pessimistic about them, as I alluded to already. With that being said they performed how they performed last year and it wasn't great.

Give Dr Flacco a chance.

Cugel
09-04-2019, 08:47 PM

It might be that their growth was stunted by having Vance Joseph and his clown car of a coaching staff, but it might be that they just suck, and their growth was stunted by the fact that they suck. :coffee:

Cugel
09-04-2019, 08:52 PM

Does anybody on these boards seriously think for one single minute that John Elway, having got rid of DT would bring him back? They decided he was washed up and shipped him out before the rest of the league could find out.

I don't like it, but that's what they did. He's done nothing to change anybody's minds in Dove Valley since leaving. Normally, when a GM gets rid of a player they don't bring him back just because a few fans are nostalgic. They made their mind up about DT.

Nothing is going to change that. They will go with the "promise" of their draft picks who haven't worked out yet like Courtland Sutton.

THey think they have better WRs on the roster than DT. I don't necessarily agree but that's very clearly what Elway thinks.

Timmy!
09-04-2019, 09:51 PM
Does anybody on these boards seriously think for one single minute that John Elway, having got rid of DT would bring him back? They decided he was washed up and shipped him out before the rest of the league could find out.

I don't like it, but that's what they did. He's done nothing to change anybody's minds in Dove Valley since leaving. Normally, when a GM gets rid of a player they don't bring him back just because a few fans are nostalgic. They made their mind up about DT.

Nothing is going to change that. They will go with the "promise" of their draft picks who haven't worked out yet like Courtland Sutton.

THey think they have better WRs on the roster than DT. I don't necessarily agree but that's very clearly what Elway thinks.

Or, you know, they thought the season was lost and were going to cut DT anyway in the off-season to avoid paying him something like (I'm guessing here) 6-8mil. Might as well get a draft pick and play the kids right? The arguement of bringing him back for vet minimum is an entirely different animal.

Elevation inc
09-05-2019, 01:40 AM

Yes I do because as Timmy alluded to it possibly could have been a cheap 1 year deal. The kids weren't ready last year, and we don't know if they are now.

Cugel
09-05-2019, 10:09 AM
Or, you know, they thought the season was lost and were going to cut DT anyway in the off-season to avoid paying him something like (I'm guessing here) 6-8mil. Might as well get a draft pick and play the kids right? The arguement of bringing him back for vet minimum is an entirely different animal.

I'm placed in a false position here, appearing to argue for something I don't believe is right.

MY Position: DT is not washed up or he wouldn't wind up in NE. Belichick gets rid of players before they are washed up, he doesn't bring them in to sit on the sideline eating sunflower seeds. I think he would instantly be better than every WR on this roster other than Sanders. I could be wrong about that, but Sutton has not impressed me as a #1 or #2 WR, and everybody else on this roster is at best "promising."

Broncos Position: They are making zero moves to get DT back. They got rid of him, moved on and they don't want him back.

You could argue: Low-risk, high reward. I'd agree. They don't apparently see it that way. They could have gotten him, they didn't.

Cugel
09-05-2019, 10:13 AM

Or you could see it as "we drafted Courtland Sutton to replace DT. He's shown us enough so that we're comfortable getting rid of DT now."

I don't buy that line of thinking. But, remember how Elway holds onto his draft picks with a death grip, trying endlessly to justify even the most useless ones like Paxton. I'd like to see a LOT more from Courtland Sutton before I'll believe he will ever be as good as DT was.

Elevation inc
09-06-2019, 01:03 AM
Or you could see it as "we drafted Courtland Sutton to replace DT. He's shown us enough so that we're comfortable getting rid of DT now."

I don't buy that line of thinking. But, remember how Elway holds onto his draft picks with a death grip, trying endlessly to justify even the most useless ones like Paxton. I'd like to see a LOT more from Courtland Sutton before I'll believe he will ever be as good as DT was.

They got rid of DT because they thought they had the next guy in Sutton. I can see why they made the play and trade, but it seemed dumb to me outside the draft pick because outside of practice and TC and 1 or 2 flashes before the trade Sutton hadn't really showed enough to be the guy. Then Sanders went down, Sutton was the guy and he choked....BADLY!

Cugel
09-06-2019, 09:54 AM
They got rid of DT because they thought they had the next guy in Sutton. I can see why they made the play and trade, but it seemed dumb to me outside the draft pick because outside of practice and TC and 1 or 2 flashes before the trade Sutton hadn't really showed enough to be the guy. Then Sanders went down, Sutton was the guy and he choked....BADLY!

That's always the problem. The team probably felt they overpaid Sanders and DT because Elway flopped so spectacularly in the draft at WR: 2017: Carlos Henderson (3rd round), Isiah McKenzie (5th round); 2016: None; 2015: None; 2014: Cody Latimer (2nd round).

So they drafted Sutton in the 2nd round and Daesaun Hamilton in the 5th, then added Juwann Winfree in the 6th this year.

They also have to be able to move on from Sanders after this season (his contract expires and most Broncos insiders insist that it's unlikely (although possible) they let him walk rather than pay the huge amounts #1 WRs are getting in FA these days).

But, so far there's no indication that any Broncos WR other than Sanders is going to be very good.

BroncoJoe
09-06-2019, 11:38 AM
I hope your hatred of Elway keeps you warm at night.

EDIT: Actually, I don't.

Simple Jaded
09-07-2019, 01:45 PM
I hope your hatred of Elway keeps you warm at night.

EDIT: Actually, I don't.
I hope it gives him unnatural long life, turns his mind into goo and he falls into an abyss of fire.