PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Gameday Thread: Broncos vs Rams 08/24/19

sneakers
08-23-2019, 10:02 PM
The preseason is almost over!! :D:D:D Time for the regular season dress rehearsal!
Getting really excited for what Chubb and the other guy....uh #58 can do together this year.

Go broncos !

http://i.imgur.com/7heeXiD.jpg

HORSEPOWER 56
08-24-2019, 07:14 AM
I don’t mean to bust your bubble sneaks, but this won’t be the dress rehearsal. That was kinda last week. Fangio has already publicly stated the starters won’t play tonight and Hogan will start at QB with Rypien backing him up.

Shazam!
08-24-2019, 07:28 AM
Yeah i have little interest in this game especially if Hogan gets most of the snaps.

I do wanna see Rypien but idk how much work he'll see if they are actually hiding him as has been reported as a possibility.

Cugel
08-24-2019, 08:42 AM
Yeah i have little interest in this game especially if Hogan gets most of the snaps.

I do wanna see Rypien but idk how much work he'll see if they are actually hiding him as has been reported as a possibility.

Unless they intend to showcase him for a possible trade (unlikely) they shouldn't play Rypien at all so he can be on the practice squad. It should be 100% Kevin Hogan. Had Drew Lock been healthy, he would have started, but now. . .

And the Rams aren't playing any of their starters because, why would they? The preseason is a joke. All it does is get guys injured.

Still you can tell some stuff by who they actually do start. On the OL Bolles, Risner and McGovern are playing, but Elijah Wilkinson and James are not.

With Leary's injury never healing Wilkinson is your starting RG and James is a veteran. The others need all the work they can get.

Garrett Bolles has 28 penalties in his first 2 seasons and more this pre-season. Nobody else in the NFL has anywhere near that total. He is far and away the most penalized lineman in the NFL and it's not even close. The problem is that with Leary injured Bolles pretty much has to start because Wilkinson is your swing T and he's forced to start at RG.

He'd better turn it around instantly or they will have to search the waiver wire for a G so Wilkinson can play that LT position.

Nomad
08-24-2019, 10:33 AM
I don’t mean to bust your bubble sneaks, but this won’t be the dress rehearsal. That was kinda last week. Fangio has already publicly stated the starters won’t play tonight and Hogan will start at QB with Rypien backing him up.

I’ve seen all I want to see from the back-ups in the last two games, and it’s not worth my time to watch.

TXBRONC
08-24-2019, 10:43 AM
Unless they intend to showcase him for a possible trade (unlikely) they shouldn't play Rypien at all so he can be on the practice squad. It should be 100% Kevin Hogan. Had Drew Lock been healthy, he would have started, but now. . .

And the Rams aren't playing any of their starters because, why would they? The preseason is a joke. All it does is get guys injured.

Still you can tell some stuff by who they actually do start. On the OL Bolles, Risner and McGovern are playing, but Elijah Wilkinson and James are not.

With Leary's injury never healing Wilkinson is your starting RG and James is a veteran. The others need all the work they can get.

Garrett Bolles has 28 penalties in his first 2 seasons and more this pre-season. Nobody else in the NFL has anywhere near that total. He is far and away the most penalized lineman in the NFL and it's not even close. The problem is that with Leary injured Bolles pretty much has to start because Wilkinson is your swing T and he's forced to start at RG.

He'd better turn it around instantly or they will have to search the waiver wire for a G so Wilkinson can play that LT position.

I doubt Rypien is going to the practice squad, and my guess it that has been the plan all along that Rypien would make 53 as the 3rd quarterback.

Shazam!
08-24-2019, 10:47 AM

I doubt Rypien is going to the practice squad, and my guess it that has been the plan all along that Rypien would make 53 as the 3rd quarterback.

Hes the insurance policy. Id hate to see him pinched off the PS.

MOtorboat
08-24-2019, 12:30 PM
Happy Gameday, Broncos fans.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-24-2019, 12:58 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Most of the Broncos’ starters will not play against the Rams on Saturday, Head Coach Vic Fangio announced Thursday.

“It’s our fourth [preseason] game, not our third,” Fangio said. “I just feel like that it’s the best thing to do for our team right now.”

Kevin Hogan will start at quarterback, and Brett Rypien will also play. Fangio said Rypien will play “a good bit” on Saturday but that reps will not be split evenly. He did not indicate which quarterback would receive more reps.

rest - https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/kevin-hogan-to-start-denvslar-fangio-to-hold-out-most-starters

Northman
08-24-2019, 01:01 PM
Boring.....

Nomad
08-24-2019, 01:07 PM
Boring.....

Gators/Hurricanes this evening. Go Canes!

Northman
08-24-2019, 01:12 PM
Gators/Hurricanes this evening. Go Canes!

I gotta go Gators here. But at least the game will mean something with Florida's ranking.

Cugel
08-24-2019, 01:22 PM

Very few teams can afford to carry 3 Qbs on the active roster. Nobody I've heard commenting on it on the radio thinks Rypien will do anything but go on the practice squad. He hasn't done anything really in the NFL so far, wasn't even drafted after playing at Boise State, which is not exactly like he starred in the SEC.

Nobody wanted him then and NFL GMs have no reason to alter their opinion now.

Unless they showcase him by letting him play and he does something spectacular in the pre-season to attract notice he's going to easily slide through to the practice squad. Why would they waste a roster spot on him? He's not going to play at all if Flacco and Lock are healthy.

Just let him sit, and sign him to the practice squad in case Flacco gets hurt and Lock has to start, then they slip him onto the 53. If Lock has to start it means the season is shot anyway since he's not ready.

I'd still like to see Lock to see what they have because obviously you're never going to win any SBs with Joe Flacco. Yes he did it in 2012.

In 2012 it was 7 years ago and I had more hair. That was a long-ass time ago. :coffee:

Nomad
08-24-2019, 01:27 PM
Boring.....

I would be more interesting to watch if Rypien played the whole game. I can’t stomach that 3rd & 4th team defense.

Northman
08-24-2019, 01:28 PM
I would be more interesting to watch if Rypien played the whole game. I can’t stomach that 3rd & 4th team defense.

I would be fine if they played the starters for the entire first half. Cardinals and Vikings are doing that currently. I just know how bad our backups are and its probably going to be a very ugly game and uninteresting for me in terms of excitement.

wayninja
08-24-2019, 01:46 PM
Psyched for Hogan!

To all my little Hulkamaniacs, say your prayers, take your vitamins and you will never go wrong!

Denver Native (Carol)
08-24-2019, 01:50 PM
from article

The Broncos aren’t the only team bucking tradition this year. Their opponent for the game, the Rams, will not be playing their starters either, and the Bears and Colts have both decided to rest their starters for their upcoming game as well

full article - https://www.milehighreport.com/2019/8/22/20829294/broncos-starters-not-expected-to-play-in-3rd-preseason-game-this-saturday

BeefStew25
08-24-2019, 02:54 PM
Greedy greedy nfl owners.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-24-2019, 03:17 PM
This might be the reason that most Bronco starters will not play in the rest of preseason. Can't afford to get any of them injured.

Denver Broncos - Injuries

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/DEN/denver-broncos/injuries/

spikerman
08-24-2019, 03:29 PM
The good news is that the special teams will probably get plenty of practice in the return game.

Nomad
08-24-2019, 03:55 PM

What do you think of getting rid of preseason, and playing an additional 2 games in the regular season? It's a proposal being floated around.

Davii
08-24-2019, 04:18 PM
What do you think of getting rid of preseason, and playing an additional 2 games in the regular season? It's a proposal being floated around.

All for it. If we're not playing starters the last two preseason games the only point is for roster bubble guys to get a chance

Nomad
08-24-2019, 04:22 PM
All for it. If we're not playing starters the last two preseason games the only point is for roster bubble guys to get a chance

I believe they can evaluate that in practice. Practicing/scrimmaging against other teams is a possibility, but I believe preseason has run it's course. They charge enough for preseason games.

ShaneFalco
08-24-2019, 04:58 PM
too bad i wanted to see chubb break goofs spine

wayninja
08-24-2019, 05:04 PM
I believe they can evaluate that in practice. Practicing/scrimmaging against other teams is a possibility, but I believe preseason has run it's course. They charge enough for preseason games.

Yeah, preseason gets worse every year. Time to shake the shit up. More postseason would be good. I heard that is also a possibility.

Northman
08-24-2019, 05:07 PM
Yeah, preseason gets worse every year. Time to shake the shit up. More postseason would be good. I heard that is also a possibility.

I tried watching some games today but they are just so uninteresting.

wayninja
08-24-2019, 05:09 PM
I tried watching some games today but they are just so uninteresting.

Yep, it used to get more interesting the closer you got to the regular season. I'll still watch tonight, but will probably be "on in the background" kinda way.

spikerman
08-24-2019, 05:11 PM
Too bad Lock is hurt. I would like to watch just to see continued progression.

Northman
08-24-2019, 05:12 PM
The problem with out team is the backups are so bad that i dont think any player can progress. Its just painful to watch.

spikerman
08-24-2019, 05:14 PM
The problem with out team is the backups are so bad that i dont think any player can progress. Its just painful to watch.
For Lock it would be as simple as taking a snap under center cleanly and making the right read.

Northman
08-24-2019, 05:20 PM
For Lock it would be as simple as taking a snap under center cleanly and making the right read.

True, but from what ive noticed so far he hasnt had a lot of time to do much of anything. He snaps the ball the defense is right on top of him.

Nomad
08-24-2019, 05:37 PM
True, but from what ive noticed so far he hasnt had a lot of time to do much of anything. He snaps the ball the defense is right on top of him.

Being there live in Seattle, Lock definitely had a tough time. This coaching staff inherited a mess up team, so I guess we'll have to be patient. I love our Broncos and always hope for success (even though backups), so I know I'll watch.

Simple Jaded
08-24-2019, 06:45 PM

They need expanded rosters for 18 game season, they've needed roster expansion for years but definitely with longer season.

Expanded rosters and only two inactives on gameday.

Tned
08-24-2019, 07:55 PM

Yea, but it's not like they charge full price for preseason tickets or anything.

Tned
08-24-2019, 07:56 PM

Real shame it wasn't an extra two games of experience for Lock.

Shazam!
08-24-2019, 07:57 PM

Yea, but it's not like they charge full price for preseason tickets or anything.

Well... I get that. But theyre a business. All kinds of costs and expenses for game day, preseason or not.

wayninja
08-24-2019, 08:09 PM
Rams scrubs lookin' good!

sneakers
08-24-2019, 08:14 PM
wooo stuffed

sneakers
08-24-2019, 08:16 PM
lol jake BUTT he is a TIGHT END :lol:

wayninja
08-24-2019, 08:18 PM
Over/under percentage on Butt getting hurt on his first target?

Simple Jaded
08-24-2019, 08:24 PM
Well... I get that. But theyre a business. All kinds of costs and expenses for game day, preseason or not.

Wonder how they manage to stay in business, poor guys.

Simple Jaded
08-24-2019, 08:27 PM
Justin Davis would look good in a Broncos uniform.

VonDoom
08-24-2019, 08:35 PM
Can we give Rypien a shot? Watching Hogan run a nine play, 22 yard drive was probably the highlight of his night

Simple Jaded
08-24-2019, 08:39 PM
Brent Siemian to the Colts for next years #1.

sneakers
08-24-2019, 08:49 PM
lol anyone watching?

Northman
08-24-2019, 08:51 PM
lol anyone watching?

Not really. I just reading the thread as i can only imagine its a trainwreck.

GEM
08-24-2019, 08:59 PM
Jake Butt sighting!

GEM
08-24-2019, 09:00 PM
Hogan trying hard.

Simple Jaded
08-24-2019, 09:01 PM
LT-- Lamermi Tunsil
LG-- Trent Williams
C-- McGovern
RG-- Risner
RT-- JuwannaMan Jones

Make it happen, who's yer mama.

GEM
08-24-2019, 09:02 PM
LT-- Lamermi Tunsil
LG-- Trent Williams
C-- McGovern
RG-- Risner
RT-- JuwannaMan Jones

Make it happen, who's yer mama.

The best part of that lineup is no bolles.

Simple Jaded
08-24-2019, 09:14 PM
The best part of that lineup is no bolles.

He's the swing T, Wilkinson is the swing G.

I'm like ... Really good at this.

Simple Jaded
08-24-2019, 09:19 PM
He's the swing T, Wilkinson is the swing G.

I'm like ... Really good at this.

Unfortunately we lose Brent Rypein, Josey Jewell, Tod Davis, Sutton and ES in the process.

Simple Jaded
08-24-2019, 09:30 PM
"It wasn't awful"

Fangio could be the Next Doug Moe in this town, he just has to win.

Davii
08-24-2019, 09:32 PM
I hate not being able to watch. No way I'm paying to see preseason though

Simple Jaded
08-24-2019, 09:43 PM

My mom just got Sunday Ticket for free, Imma put a sling box on that shit.

Davii
08-24-2019, 09:44 PM
My mom just got Sunday Ticket for free, Imma put a sling box on that shit.

I've got the ticket. For the amount that shit costs it should damn sure include preseason

Simple Jaded
08-24-2019, 09:46 PM
I've got the ticket. For the amount that shit costs it should damn sure include preseason

It doesn't include preseason? That's bullshit

Simple Jaded
08-24-2019, 09:47 PM
In Rypein's defense there at least he was looking off the defenders, they just didn't buy it.

wayninja
08-24-2019, 09:49 PM

You are missing nothing.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-24-2019, 09:51 PM

Look here and see if you can do this - https://www.denverbroncos.com/

Northman
08-24-2019, 09:54 PM
I see Brett threw an INT. That doesnt help his cause much.

Simple Jaded
08-24-2019, 09:54 PM
That's a TD

wayninja
08-24-2019, 09:58 PM
That's not a TD.

Simple Jaded
08-24-2019, 09:59 PM
"Moral Stephens looks like DT let himself go"-- Nate Kreckman

Simple Jaded
08-24-2019, 10:00 PM
That's not a TD.

You're not a TD

Northman
08-24-2019, 10:02 PM
Looked like an STD to me.

wayninja
08-24-2019, 10:05 PM
RIPien

wayninja
08-24-2019, 10:05 PM
You're not a TD

Lol, this is my kids go to thing. Always makes me smile.

Simple Jaded
08-24-2019, 10:06 PM
Dude, Wadman just punted 20 yards out of bounds.

wayninja
08-24-2019, 10:07 PM
Dude, Wadman just punted 20 yards out of bounds.

Someone must have ordered a pizza from that spot. Efficient.

VonDoom
08-24-2019, 10:50 PM
If you’re not watching this game, this about sums it up - with about 2:45 left in the game, we just passed 200 yards of total offense

ShaneFalco
08-24-2019, 10:52 PM
wtf is this dude doin

Tned
08-24-2019, 10:58 PM
If you’re not watching this game, this about sums it up - with about 2:45 left in the game, we just passed 200 yards of total offense

Ok, had planned to watch tomorrow, but don't think I'll bother now.

Glad I watched The Cutting Edge instead.

Simple Jaded
08-24-2019, 11:13 PM
They just need to gel.

MOtorboat
08-24-2019, 11:46 PM
Muhammad should make this team. He probably won’t, but he should.

MOtorboat
08-24-2019, 11:49 PM
Hope Flacco can stay healthy, because yikes.

Tned
08-24-2019, 11:52 PM
Did any starters play on offense or defense? Anything positive from any of the rookies or Butt?

Simple Jaded
08-25-2019, 12:14 AM
Bah!

I wanna see what ****** shit Tned said this time.

Ziggy
08-25-2019, 12:15 AM
Did any starters play on offense or defense? Anything positive from any of the rookies or Butt?

Butt played and didn't end the game injured. That's a huge positive for him. No starters played, and some of the backups sat as well.

The structure of this team is looking a lot like the 2015 team without Manning.

Simple Jaded
08-25-2019, 12:22 AM
There's always Sloter.

Tned
08-25-2019, 12:32 AM
Butt played and didn't end the game injured. That's a huge positive for him. No starters played, and some of the backups sat as well.

The structure of this team is looking a lot like the 2015 team without Manning.

Question is can the defense be dominant enough to carry an impotent offense if they don't get the offense rolling (still hoping they do -- lots of new pieces -- players, coaches, schemes...)

Tned
08-25-2019, 12:33 AM

Considering my original reactions was "Yikes, we have to go through the season with Flacco" and now I'm with you, hope he stays healthy. At least he's experienced and has a good arm.

VonDoom
08-25-2019, 08:52 AM
Watching these games has been brutal ... and we've still got one more! We'll have played five preseason games this year, and yet our starting QB will have played a mere 30 snaps over two total games. I disagree with Fangio's plan to sit everyone yesterday - yes, it was our fourth preseason game, but we sat all the starters in the HOF game and will sit them again on Thursday. With a new coach, new OC and new QB, do we think that 30 snaps of game action is enough to prepare them for the season? Personally, I don't but I guess we'll find out.

The only thing that could have made these last two games (yesterday and Thursday) palatable would have been watching Lock get some more game reps and watch his development. Sadly, that's out after his injury. Hogan is bad, and Rypien isn't all that much to watch either. We've scored four total TD's in four games - two of them have been garbage TD's after we were clearly going to lose and one was a miracle fourth down TD in the HOF game that should have been intercepted. There's just nothing interesting to watch.

BroncoWave
08-25-2019, 09:06 AM
Muhammad should make this team. He probably won’t, but he should.

But he might take touches from Lindsay and we certainly can't have that!

BroncoWave
08-25-2019, 09:09 AM

This is true. If he plays all year we could win 9-10 games perhaps and be in the playoff mix. This is a 4-5 win team with the options we have behind him.

MOtorboat
08-25-2019, 09:39 AM
But he might take touches from Lindsay and we certainly can't have that!

Gotta make sure the great Theo Riddick has a roster spot.

Nomad
08-25-2019, 10:26 AM
Sounds like the game went really well. LoL.

Tned
08-25-2019, 10:27 AM
Sounds like the game went really well. LoL.

That's what I was thinking as well.

LawDog
08-25-2019, 11:04 AM
The one thing I noticed is that the University of Spoiled Children will be playing in the greatest example of lipstick on a pig known to the modern world.

D1g1tal j1m
08-25-2019, 11:28 PM
Went to the game with my wife (a coworker has season tickets to the Rams this season and gave me his tix for the game). There were so many Bronco Fans there, it felt like a home game for the Blue and Orange. The game itself was a snoozefest and difficult on the eyes to watch live. Both teams 3rd and 4th string camp fodder tried hard but even with simplified offensive and defense schemes the gameplay was a disaster.
14824 14825 14826 14827 14828

Simple Jaded
08-26-2019, 12:09 AM
DeaSean Hamilton looks like Shanaynay.

FkXuxj_l2tg

Cugel
08-26-2019, 12:48 PM

You missed absolutely nothing. Here's the Highlights Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-n5YGFBtYI), which is a lot more interesting to watch than the game was.

Things you could have seen:
1. Neither team played their starters much at all so you can't really tell much.
2. Brandon McManus has an impressive porn-stache.
3. HOgan looked decent throwing to the likes of WR Juwann Winfrey against the Rams scrubs.
4. Rams backup QB Brandon Allen looked better than either Hogan or Rypien, but he's a 3rd year player and he was throwing against the likes of CB Trey Johnson who was flung off his WR on one play.
5. ILB Keishawn Bierria fell down on a red zone play and left his man wide open in the end zone, but Allen missed him.
6. RB Dave Williams had a nice run for a first down in what will likely be the highlight of his NFL experience. I hope some of his family caught that on tape.
7. Rypien looked exactly like what he is, a late round QB who has some athletic skills but is a million miles away from being an NFL starter and will need to learn a ton.

If Rypien had torn it up in this game maybe some team takes him onto their 53 man roster, but now? I seriously doubt anybody will bid on him, so he should make the practice squad no problem.

TXBRONC
08-28-2019, 04:30 PM
Hes the insurance policy. Id hate to see him pinched off the PS.

I wouldn't put it that way.

TXBRONC
08-28-2019, 04:32 PM
You missed absolutely nothing. Here's the Highlights Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-n5YGFBtYI), which is a lot more interesting to watch than the game was.

Things you could have seen:
1. Neither team played their starters much at all so you can't really tell much.
2. Brandon McManus has an impressive porn-stache.
3. HOgan looked decent throwing to the likes of WR Juwann Winfrey against the Rams scrubs.
4. Rams backup QB Brandon Allen looked better than either Hogan or Rypien, but he's a 3rd year player and he was throwing against the likes of CB Trey Johnson who was flung off his WR on one play.
5. ILB Keishawn Bierria fell down on a red zone play and left his man wide open in the end zone, but Allen missed him.
6. RB Dave Williams had a nice run for a first down in what will likely be the highlight of his NFL experience. I hope some of his family caught that on tape.
7. Rypien looked exactly like what he is, a late round QB who has some athletic skills but is a million miles away from being an NFL starter and will need to learn a ton.

If Rypien had torn it up in this game maybe some team takes him onto their 53 man roster, but now? I seriously doubt anybody will bid on him, so he should make the practice squad no problem.

Rypien wasn't drafted.