PDA

View Full Version : All blindside blocks prohibited starting in the 2019 season

Denver Native (Carol)
08-08-2019, 12:56 PM
Beginning this season, as part of a continued emphasis on player safety, all blindside blocks will be illegal. The new rules — proposed and voted on this spring — define a blindside block as when a player initiates a block when he is moving toward or parallel to his own end line and makes forcible contact to his opponent with his helmet, forearm or shoulder. Under previous rules, blindside blocks would have drawn a flag only if it was targeted to the head or neck area of the player receiving the block. According to NFL Football Operations, a third of all concussions suffered by players on punts last season were caused by blindside blocks.

The only time such a block can technically be made is when the block takes place in the tackle box, the area between the offensive tackles, and three yards in front of or behind the line of scrimmage, until the ball leaves that area. Once the ball leaves the tackle box, the box disappears, and any blindside block in that area becomes illegal. The tackle box provision is not actually an exception, but rather an interpretation that there can’t be forcible contact in the confines of the “mixing bowl” that exists around the location of the snap. Additionally, incidental contact (defined as an absence of forcible contact) is also not a foul for a blindside block, even though the other provisions may be present, although it may still be an illegal crackback or peel-back block.

rest - http://www.footballzebras.com/2019/08/all-blindside-blocks-prohibited-starting-in-the-2019-season/

Nomad
08-09-2019, 07:47 AM
I had never heard of a double team block penalty called on the return by the Broncos.
Perhaps it’s been around, and seldom called.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-09-2019, 08:55 AM
I had never heard of a double team block penalty called on the return by the Broncos.
Perhaps it’s been around, and seldom called.

Looks like it was a new rule last year
NFL Approves New Rule Changes For Kickoffs
https://sports.cbslocal.com/2018/05/23/nfl-approves-new-rule-changes-for-kickoffs/

spikerman
08-09-2019, 05:56 PM
Starting this year it’s a foul in college too, if the block is with “forcible” contact.

Nomad
08-10-2019, 01:27 PM
What's the reasoning to implement a double blocking penalty? I understand the high/low blocking, but 2 players blocking one? Is this a safety thing? Spare me the unfair advantage thing, if that's the case, then the penalty is retarded....IMO.

spikerman
08-10-2019, 01:32 PM
What's the reasoning to implement a double blocking penalty? I understand the high/low blocking, but 2 players blocking one? Is this a safety thing? Spare me the unfair advantage thing, if that's the case, then the penalty is retarded....IMO.
It is a safety rule. Even in college if two players form a wedge on a kickoff, it’s a foul even if they don’t hit anybody. There are some exceptions, but I’m too lazy to type them out here. A lot of players got hurt trying to bust the wedges so they’ve now eliminated the wedge.

Nomad
08-10-2019, 01:35 PM
It is a safety rule. Even in college if two players form a wedge on a kickoff, it’s a foul even if they don’t hit anybody. There are some exceptions, but I’m too lazy to type them out here. A lot of players got hurt trying to bust the wedges so they’ve now eliminated the wedge.

Football is definitely evolving from what I've known.

spikerman
08-10-2019, 01:37 PM
Football is definitely evolving from what I've known.

True, but if it doesn’t mamas aren’t going to let their kids play anymore. It’s already happening.

Nomad
08-10-2019, 01:40 PM
True, but if it doesn’t mamas aren’t going to let their kids play anymore. It’s already happening.

Yeah, flag football is the future.

spikerman
08-10-2019, 01:41 PM
Yeah, flag football is the future.

Nah, just trying to get the game back to what it’s supposed to be. Stay away from the head and don’t needlessly punish the opponent.

Nomad
08-10-2019, 01:44 PM
Nah, just trying to get the game back to what it’s supposed to be. Stay away from the head and don’t needlessly punish the opponent.

You mean like that hit from the Seahawks defender on one of our Bronco receivers toward the end of the game.

spikerman
08-10-2019, 01:47 PM
You mean like that hit from the Seahawks defender on one of our Bronco receivers toward the end of the game.

I didn’t get to see the game.

spikerman
08-10-2019, 01:50 PM

If it was a blindside hit, ball carriers are exempt, at least at the college level.

Nomad
08-10-2019, 01:52 PM
If it was a blindside hit, ball carriers are exempt, at least at the college level.

You be the judge.
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/8/9/20799109/marquise-blair-seattle-seahawks-denver-broncos-hit-tackling-football-technique-scout-coaching-rules

spikerman
08-10-2019, 01:56 PM
You be the judge.
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/8/9/20799109/marquise-blair-seattle-seahawks-denver-broncos-hit-tackling-football-technique-scout-coaching-rules

I think in the NFL that’s a foul for a blow to the head and neck area of a defenseless player. In college I don’t think I would have targeting because for targeting you’re looking for certain “indicators” and I didn’t see one there.

Nomad
08-10-2019, 01:58 PM
I think in the NFL that’s a foul for a blow to the head and neck area of a defenseless player. In college I don’t think I would have targeting because for targeting you’re looking for certain “indicators” and I didn’t see one there.

Wouldn't that foul fall under defenseless receiver? There is no defenseless receiver foul in college (I should know this)?

spikerman
08-10-2019, 02:06 PM
Wouldn't that foul fall under defenseless receiver? There is no defenseless receiver foul in college (I should know this)?

Yes, but for it to be targeting in college (where the defenseless player comes in) they’re looking for indicators such as a crouch or a launch. The other option would be leading with the crown of the helmet, which is also targeting but does require the victim to be defenseless. Anyway, so, yes, the receiver was defenseless, but in my opinion, the defender was not guilty of targeting by NCAA standards.

One of the big myths now is that you can’t hit a defenseless player. You most certainly can (with some exceptions) you just can’t target them.

Nomad
08-10-2019, 02:09 PM
Yes, but for it to be targeting in college (where the defenseless player comes in) they’re looking for indicators such as a crouch or a launch. The other option would be leading with the crown of the helmet, which is also targeting but does require the victim to be defenseless. Anyway, so, yes, the receiver was defenseless, but in my opinion, the defender was not guilty of targeting by NCAA standards.

One of the big myths now is that you can’t hit a defenseless player. You most certainly can (with some exceptions) you just can’t target them.

It is confusing. Refs have a tough job knowing/remembering all the rules, and enforcing them. Though, you guys are enemy #1. :D

spikerman
08-10-2019, 02:20 PM
It is confusing. Refs have a tough job knowing/remembering all the rules, and enforcing them. Though, you guys are enemy #1. :D

Thanks bud. It can be rough.

Simple Jaded
08-20-2019, 01:47 PM
I'm glad we can all agree that the NFL is all about player safety.

Tbolt
08-20-2019, 03:53 PM
Saw this called in the Ravens game. TE sprung Lewis on a great block, Lewis scored, exciting play. Flag. If that is called during the regular season, going to make for some exciting football...

Cugel
08-21-2019, 05:20 AM

That is actually the biggest long term threat to the NFL. Football simply causes brain trauma and it might not be possible to make it really safe for kids. The more medical science uncovers regarding brain trauma the more parents are unlikely to permit their sons to play. Reducing the number of high school football players shrinks the pool of NFL players.

The NFL being composed of unbelievably stupid and greedy billionaires spent decades lying and suppressing all the evidence. Then it inevitably blew up in their faces with massive negative press and lawsuits.

They should be investing billions in trying to develop a helmet that will protect much better against brain trauma but they're now in a race against time they might actually lose. It's probably not possible to design a helmet that would be 100% protective.

But, it IS possible to dramatically improve things. In the 1920s cars were designed to be highly damage resistant. It's just the passengers who got injured in crashes.
Decades of research redesigned cars with things like safety glass that pebbles into harmless chunks instead of thousands of jagged shards of glass. They can certainly improve helmet design a lot over what it is now. It's a question of time and money and engineering.

Timmy!
08-21-2019, 05:47 AM
Lol

Shazam!
08-21-2019, 06:18 AM

That is actually the biggest long term threat to the NFL. Football simply causes brain trauma and it might not be possible to make it really safe for kids. The more medical science uncovers regarding brain trauma the more parents are unlikely to permit their sons to play. Reducing the number of high school football players shrinks the pool of NFL players.

The NFL being composed of unbelievably stupid and greedy billionaires spent decades lying and suppressing all the evidence. Then it inevitably blew up in their faces with massive negative press and lawsuits.

They should be investing billions in trying to develop a helmet that will protect much better against brain trauma but they're now in a race against time they might actually lose. It's probably not possible to design a helmet that would be 100% protective.

But, it IS possible to dramatically improve things. In the 1920s cars were designed to be highly damage resistant. It's just the passengers who got injured in crashes.
Decades of research redesigned cars with things like safety glass that pebbles into harmless chunks instead of thousands of jagged shards of glass. They can certainly improve helmet design a lot over what it is now. It's a question of time and money and engineering.

I wonder how many of these alleged CTE victims took massive amounts of steroids and was jacked up to 1000. Like Seau.

Did Chris Benoit suffer from CTE?

For every case of this, theres someone else who is fine and took *vicious* beatings.

Joe Namath has his marbles.
Elway is the most sacked QB of all time.
Bradshaw still coherent.
Montana
Sharpe
Young
Montana
Emmitt Smith
Barry Sanders
Deion

There's a list of thousands of former players who still have their brains.

Theres more to this than meets the eye IMO, but I don't want to see anyone get hurt. Its a byproduct of the profession.

Like boxing and UFC.