PDA

View Full Version : Winners and Losers from Preseason Game #1 vs. the Atlanta Falcons

Ziggy
08-02-2019, 10:16 AM
Let's talk about some winners and losers from the game:

WINNERS

1. Kevin Hogan- He played with most of the starting offensive line and was well protected. He took the safe throws and didn't take any chances. Smart move by a bad QB.
2. Khalfani Muhammad- Ripped off a nice 31 yard run when he was given a crease, and had 4 receptions in 5 targets. He looked cat quick.
3. DreMont Jones- He absolutely destroyed the Falcons scrubs. He had 3 QB hits, one of which caused the interception, and a TFL. He was quick, strong, and disruptive on the inside.
4. Nick Williams- He showed why the coaches have been raving about him in just the short time he's been here. Good hands, sharp routes, and smart decisions on returns.
5. Connor McGovern, Dalton Risner, and Garrett Bolles- They did what they were supposed to do- dominate the 49'ers second team line. Oh, and no bad snaps.
6. Malik Reed- He comes screaming off that edge when he gets loose. He looked fast, had a sack, and a TFL.
7. Tre Johnson- He was solid in coverage and had 3 PBUs. He played very well in front of his home town crowd.

Winfree would be on this list if he wouldn't have dropped a pass that was right in his hands on the first third down play. There was a lot of luck involved with the game winning catch.

LOSERS

1. Drew Lock- He had a couple of chances to take over this game early and overthrew 2 receivers down the sideline. If he hits those 2 passes, the narrative is completely different today. I'm not down on him at all. He just showed why he's not ready for primetime yet.
2. David Williams- The words slow and plodding come to mind. He also dropped a pass that was right in his hands.
3. Brendan Langley- He's being pushed in camp and needs to make his mark on special teams to win a roster spot. Instead, he fumbled on a kick return. See ya.
4. Devontae Booker- The Broncos are signing Theo Riddick, and he didn't even get to make a case for himself in the first preseason game. Obviously, neither of those decisions were within his control.

I would have added Fant to this list, but his blocking was better than advertised.

Northman
08-02-2019, 10:28 AM
When did Jones play against the Niners?

Edmonton Bronco Fan
08-02-2019, 10:30 AM
It's early, of course, but I've never been a fan of Drew Lock.

I'd be surprised if he's anything other than another horrendous Elway blunder when it comes to drafting QB's.

If he thinks that's our future, we're doomed to one of irrelevancy.

Northman
08-02-2019, 10:31 AM
Drew did not play well last night but its way early to say he will bust. Way way early.

Dapper Dan
08-02-2019, 10:32 AM

Dapper Dan
08-02-2019, 10:33 AM
Drew did not play well last night but its way early to say he will bust. Way way early.

I thought he did pretty well until I realized it was Hogan.

Northman
And FTR im not sure what Ziggy was seeing but the pass protection seemed like shit all night even when Hogan was in. It doesnt give me a lot of confidence going into the season if they are letting defenders blow them off the line like that.

Northman
I thought he did pretty well until I realized it was Hogan.

:lol:

Jsteve01
08-02-2019, 10:37 AM
It's early, of course, but I've never been a fan of Drew Lock.

I'd be surprised if he's anything other than another horrendous Elway blunder when it comes to drafting QB's.

If he thinks that's our future, we're doomed to one of irrelevancy.

Horrendous blunder on a guy projected by everyone to go top 20? He is a day two upside pick and will get time to learn. He has horrid technique but a great work ethic. Plus athleticism and a cannon. He also is a leader. So calling him a potentially horrendous blunder is too much hyperbole this early in the process.

BroncoWave
08-02-2019, 11:07 AM
The writing is definitely on the wall for Booker. I'm thinking Riddick probably gets that 3rd RB spot and we stash Muhammad on the PS.

Also doesn't look like we'll be having any QB controversy any time soon, which is probably a good thing for this season. We just have to pray Flacco doesn't get hurt, because we're in trouble if he does.

MasterShake
08-02-2019, 11:25 AM
The writing is definitely on the wall for Booker. I'm thinking Riddick probably gets that 3rd RB spot and we stash Muhammad on the PS.

Also doesn't look like we'll be having any QB controversy any time soon, which is probably a good thing for this season. We just have to pray Flacco doesn't get hurt, because we're in trouble if he does.

Yeah I was and continue to be fine with Hogan at 2 and Lock at 3. Drew actually made some good reads last night but had some bad throws to go with it. Recognizing man coverage was good, but overthrowing your receivers by 5 yards was bad. Sounds like a rookie QB to me.

The one that put me on an emotional rollercoaster was Fant last night. Hated to see him have those drops early, but he rebounded nicely with a few good grabs and showed some good blocking. All told, I'm glad this was essentially a bonus preseason game for the young guys and some of the O-line to get some work. Hoping things settle down next week at Seattle and we see improvement.

Ziggy
08-02-2019, 11:32 AM
When did Jones play against the Niners?

Corrected.

Northman
08-02-2019, 11:34 AM
Corrected.

I was just busting your balls.

Bronco4ever
08-02-2019, 11:57 AM
Even though I wanted Lock to play well, I’m sort of ok that he didn’t. He can’t be satisfied with his play, so hopefully this makes him dig a little deeper.

Lynch played well his first preseason and did next to nothing to try to improve on that. I think this sort of an outing gives Lock a lot of areas to improve upon and hopefully he works hard enough to get where he wants to be.

dogfish
08-02-2019, 12:37 PM
Yeah I was and continue to be fine with Hogan at 2 and Lock at 3. Drew actually made some good reads last night but had some bad throws to go with it. Recognizing man coverage was good, but overthrowing your receivers by 5 yards was bad. Sounds like a rookie QB to me.

The one that put me on an emotional rollercoaster was Fant last night. Hated to see him have those drops early, but he rebounded nicely with a few good grabs and showed some good blocking. All told, I'm glad this was essentially a bonus preseason game for the young guys and some of the O-line to get some work. Hoping things settle down next week at Seattle and we see improvement.

if fant can be a competitive blocker, it will make it so much easier for the coaching staff to get him a significant amount of reps early in his career, which would bode well for his long-term development. . . we're likely going to run a ton of two TE formations this year, and we know how durable the rest of that group has been. . . there should be a big role available for fant, even if he doesn't start. . . and given our desire to build our offensive identity around the run game and play-action, it'll be a real plus if he can be an asset as a blocker as well as stretching the field with that speed. . .

Northman
08-02-2019, 01:02 PM
I was a bit disappointed in the drops Fant had. We need him to be a target in the redzone and catching them.

Magnificent Seven
08-02-2019, 01:44 PM
Relax. Last night was Drew Lock's very first NFL game. Give him some time to shake off the rust and shine.

BeefStew25
08-02-2019, 03:23 PM
Lock needs some time to jell.

Jsteve01
08-02-2019, 04:01 PM
Fant was made out to be another Graham or Thomas. You dont get on the field at iowa if you wont block. And Hockenson is one of the best blocking tight ends ive ver seen. So if ive got an uber athletic guy like fant and a great blocker like Hock why reinvent the wheel.

BroncoWave
08-02-2019, 05:17 PM
Lock needs some time to jell.

I think he was playing possum last night. He's going to lull Flacco into a false sense of security then pounce.

Simple Jaded
08-02-2019, 05:22 PM
Lock became the biggest loser the second Case Rypien ragarmed the game winning lame duck TD pass straight to the Falcons CB.

Dude is so ******.

BeefStew25
08-02-2019, 05:24 PM
Lock became the biggest loser when Case Rypien ragarmed the game winning TD straight to the Falcons CB.

Dude is so ******.

Inject the lash out into my veins.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-02-2019, 05:24 PM
Lock became the biggest loser when Case Rypien ragarmed the game winning lame duck TD pass straight to the Falcons CB.

Dude is so ******.

:lol:

BroncoWave
08-02-2019, 05:27 PM
Rypien did just about all you can do there. No one is going to be open when it's 4th and 15 in the redzone, best you can do is find a one on one matchup, throw it up, and hope your guy makes a play, which is what happened.

Shazam!
08-02-2019, 05:30 PM
Lock became the biggest loser the second Case Rypien ragarmed the game winning lame duck TD pass straight to the Falcons CB.

Dude is so ******.

Uh yeah. Its just the first and one preseason game.

Simple Jaded
08-02-2019, 05:31 PM
Rypien did just about all you can do there. No one is going to be open when it's 4th and 15 in the redzone, best you can do is find a one on one matchup, throw it up, and hope your guy makes a play, which is what happened.

The point is that’s the beginning of the end for Lock in Denver, Broncos fans love nothing more than they love talentless underdogs.

I give it maybe two seasons, before Lock gone and replaced by a draft pick that fans will say the Broncos didn’t need.

Simple Jaded
08-02-2019, 05:33 PM

I bet you were thinking Rypien should be elevated to #2 after that drive, be honest?

Shazam!
08-02-2019, 06:13 PM

I bet you were thinking Rypien should be elevated to #2 after that drive, be honest?

Not whatsoever. I had low expectations with all the new staff, OC, too many young players.

Simple Jaded
08-02-2019, 06:59 PM
Not whatsoever. I had low expectations with all the new staff, OC, too many young players.

At least we both agree that Rypien lived up to those low expectations.

Shazam!
08-02-2019, 07:31 PM
Jaded. Jesus man. Theres 4 more games. This was the exhibition to the exhibition. Who expected either of the rookies to be Elway in his prime.

Simple Jaded
08-02-2019, 07:33 PM
Was it something I said?

Simple Jaded
08-02-2019, 07:34 PM
https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/02/denver-broncos-breaking-down-dalton-risner-film-hall-of-fame-game/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=fishburne&utm_content=recirc-most-popular

Dalton Risner.

dogfish
08-02-2019, 09:39 PM
Inject the lash out into my veins.

always. . .

Was it something I said?

always. . .

Jsteve01
08-03-2019, 09:47 AM
We need to step back an rember his name. It isnt hopeful. Optimist or Harry Potter. It's Jaded and either love him for who he is or dont. Mkay?

Northman
08-03-2019, 10:03 AM
Jaded is da man.

Poet
08-03-2019, 03:33 PM
I didn't mind how Lock played. He's a youngster. Trial by fire.

Dre'Mont Jones though....future all pro player.

dogfish
08-03-2019, 04:53 PM
We need to step back an rember his name. It isnt hopeful. Optimist or Harry Potter. It's Jaded and either love him for who he is or dont. Mkay?

his hips don't lie. . .

Simple Jaded
08-04-2019, 12:14 AM
Was it something I said?

TXBRONC
08-07-2019, 04:47 PM
Was it something I said?

Statement of the obvious bro. :)