PDA

View Full Version : Who Saw the Practice at the Stadium Today...and what did you see?

Ziggy
07-27-2019, 08:55 PM
The first thing I did when I got home from the stadium practice today was check out what twitter said about it. I find it fascinating how much stock people are putting into training camp tweets. There's some good info out there, but so much is left out. I'm sure there were some more folks here who went today. I'd love to hear your first hand observations. Here are mine:

1. Let's keep in mind that the 3 most electric players on this team didn't practice today. Von, Lindsey, and Emmanuel.
2. Kevin Hogan is not a good QB. Poor reads, poor throws, poor play altogether. I dub him 'the vulture', because all he is doing at this point is stealing reps from Lock.
3. Drew Lock is clearly ahead of Hogan, and just as clearly behind Flacco.
4. I was hoping to see the young WR's flash today. They didn't.
5. There is a butter fairy in Denver, and she's coating all of the practice balls at Broncos camp.
6. Zach Kerr is huge. I think he's put on 10-15 pounds since last season.
7. Denver's interior offensive line is really good. (I'm not including shotgun snaps.)
8. Noah Fant is not a day 1 star at TE. Right now he's not even a day one starter at TE.
9. If Jeff Heuerman stays healthy, he is a lock to start. He is the best blocking TE we've had here since Virgil Green.
10. Malik Reed can get off the edge very quickly. He looks great in pass rush.
11. This defense is unpredictable. They played about an even amount of zone and man to man today.
12. Get ready to see a ton of crossing routes to TE's and backs.
13. This offense desperately needs Emmanuel Sanders to get back healthy.
14. While the starting offensive line is much improved, depth is still a glaring weakness.
15. I will be shocked if Brandon Langley makes this team.
16. Denver has a couple of possibilities to have an electric returner- and they can actually catch punts and kickoffs.

NightTrainLayne
07-27-2019, 09:00 PM
Wow, you actually went?

What preparations did you make for the life-threatening hail? I stayed safe at home per the advice of Lindsay Jones.

spikerman
07-27-2019, 09:22 PM
I went as well and echo the statements about the hands. Gotsis may have the best hands on the team.

BeefStew25
07-27-2019, 09:59 PM
Ziggy truly great read. Thank you.

Simple Jaded
07-28-2019, 12:02 AM
Is Trinity Benson one of those PR’s you’re referring to, Ziggy?

MIZZOUMAN
07-28-2019, 12:27 AM
Cmon Zig
https://www.reddit.com/r/DenverBroncos/comments/cipt58/lock_with_a_into_double_coverage/

MOtorboat
07-28-2019, 12:41 AM
Oh. Dear god.

Simple Jaded
07-28-2019, 12:48 AM
Cmon Zig
https://www.reddit.com/r/DenverBroncos/comments/cipt58/lock_with_a_into_double_coverage/

Dope

Ziggy
07-28-2019, 02:11 AM
Is Trinity Benson one of those PR’s you’re referring to, Ziggy?

Kelvin McKnight
Trinity Benson
Khalfani Muhammad

One of these 3 will can make this team as a returner.

Ziggy
07-28-2019, 02:19 AM
Cmon Zig

Yep, that was his best throw. 7 on 7's. Coach Fangio saw it too.

“He had some good periods here today,’’ Broncos head coach Vic Fangio said of Lock. “I think he did his best work in 7 on 7 which isn’t football. But it’s progress. You need to see that progress in 11 on 11 and then ultimately in games. But, he’s getting better.’’
https://www.9news.com/article/news/drew-lock-answers-cheers-with-7-on-7-passing-show/73-9eb3b682-82bc-4db0-a8a8-d473cb3970e6

Lock has promise. I like the kid. He's not ready to be a starting NFL QB right now. Nothing wrong with that.

BeefStew25
07-28-2019, 08:11 AM
Cmon Zig

I’m going to pretend I didn’t see that. I need tempered expectations.

spikerman
07-28-2019, 08:22 AM
It was a sweet throw, but the receiver actually catching the pass was the most surprising part.

Northman
07-28-2019, 08:23 AM
Its a nice throw but he wasnt even in a scrimmage or facing any pressure. If he does this in real game action than i will get excited. Lol

GEM
07-28-2019, 09:49 AM
Oh. Dear god.

That post felt so Tebow-esque. :lol:

MOtorboat
07-28-2019, 12:37 PM
9. If Jeff Heuerman stays healthy, he is a lock to start. He is the best blocking TE we've had here since Virgil Green.

If they are starting Heuerman because he’s the best blocking tight end they are doing offense wrong in 2019.

dogfish
07-28-2019, 12:48 PM
Kelvin McKnight
Trinity Benson
Khalfani Muhammad

One of these 3 will can make this team as a returner.

really hoping to see one of the youngsters emerge. . . would be nice to have some punch in the return game for a change, even if they have limited its impact. . . thanks for the report, zig. . .

dogfish
07-28-2019, 12:51 PM
If they are starting Heuerman because he’s the best blocking tight end they are doing offense wrong in 2019.

oh, stop! looking at what they did with kittle, i feel fairly confident that coach skanks knows what to do with a TE. . . zig saying that a rookie isn't ready to start doesn't equate to blocking being the TE's primary responsibility in this scheme. . . the guy's also got to be able to run routes and get separation, no? it's also not like IRmann being a solid blocker renders him incapable in the passing game. . . i do remember a game last year where he had twelve catches. . . not surprising that he'd be ahead of a guy who hasn't even had pro pads on yet, in july. . .

BeefStew25
07-28-2019, 12:53 PM
oh, stop! looking at what they did with kittle, i feel fairly confident that coach skanks knows what to do with a TE. . . zig saying that a rookie isn't ready to start doesn't equate to blocking being the TE's primary responsibility in this scheme. . . the guy's also got to be able to run routes and get separation, no? it's also not like IRmann being a solid blocker renders him incapable in the passing game. . . i do remember a game last year where he had twelve catches. . . not surprising that he'd be ahead of a guy who hasn't even had pro pads on yet, in july. . .

Thank you. Dramatic midgets are creepy.

Ziggy
07-28-2019, 03:41 PM

Heuerman is a stud blocker, and the rookie is having trouble hanging on to the ball and lining up right. He let 3 balls hit the turf in the stadium practice. 2 were flat out drops. You could make a case for the 3rd one being on the QB, but it's debatable. He also had a false start. He's not ready to start in the NFL yet. He's got 5 preseason games to get it together, but right now he isn't a starting caliber NFL TE. The only one doing offense wrong by having him come off of the bench is Fant himself.

Shazam!
07-28-2019, 05:09 PM

Heuerman is a stud blocker, and the rookie is having trouble hanging on to the ball and lining up right. He let 3 balls hit the turf in the stadium practice. 2 were flat out drops. You could make a case for the 3rd one being on the QB, but it's debatable. He also had a false start. He's not ready to start in the NFL yet. He's got 5 preseason games to get it together, but right now he isn't a starting caliber NFL TE. The only one doing offense wrong by having him come off of the bench is Fant himself.

You talking specific bout Fant

Ziggy
07-28-2019, 06:18 PM

Yes

Shazam!
07-28-2019, 06:55 PM

Yes

What you think of Austin Fort allegedly shined as a possible surprise from everything heard

Ziggy
07-28-2019, 07:18 PM
What you think of Austin Fort allegedly shined as a possible surprise from everything heard

I kept an eye on him and a couple of the other young'uns. He's a lot more athletic than I expected and gets open. You can see talent there. Unfortunately, he dropped two passes himself.

BeefStew25
07-28-2019, 07:40 PM
I kept an eye on him and a couple of the other young'uns. He's a lot more athletic than I expected and gets open. You can see talent there. Unfortunately, he dropped two passes himself.

He’s the poor mans Wesley Duke

Simple Jaded
07-29-2019, 01:40 AM
Flacco should be able to get the rookie lined up.

Ziggy
07-29-2019, 08:08 AM
Flacco should be able to get the rookie lined up.

He did. Then the rookie fell forward before the snap. Standing still until the ball is snapped is apparently hard. That's not on Flacco.

Ziggy
07-29-2019, 08:09 AM
By the way, Dalton Risner is going to be very very good for a very long time if he stays healthy.

Shazam!
07-29-2019, 08:11 AM
By the way, Dalton Risner is going to be very very good for a very long time if he stays healthy.

Can he be Denver's Quentin Nelson

Tned
07-29-2019, 08:58 AM

Good, need some stability on the line.

Ziggy
07-29-2019, 09:49 AM
Can he be Denver's Quentin Nelson

No. But he can be a great player. Quentin Nelson is a Von Miller type generational talent at guard.

Buff
07-29-2019, 10:06 AM
Thanks Zig...

Dog don't jump my ass for expressing some concern at this stage in camp - but I'm mildly concerned about our WR corps from all the reports I've heard combined with how they finished the year last season.

Also a little discouraged that Fant hasn't really popped yet in camp. We need both position groups to make a big leap for this team to improve. Maybe the improved OL play will start to pay dividends over time.

...Side note: Our interest in Theo Riddick seems to back up the idea that we'll see a lot of passes to RBs.

underrated29
07-29-2019, 11:31 AM
Thanks Zig...

Dog don't jump my ass for expressing some concern at this stage in camp - but I'm mildly concerned about our WR corps from all the reports I've heard combined with how they finished the year last season.

Also a little discouraged that Fant hasn't really popped yet in camp. We need both position groups to make a big leap for this team to improve. Maybe the improved OL play will start to pay dividends over time.

...Side note: Our interest in Theo Riddick seems to back up the idea that we'll see a lot of passes to RBs.

I think Juwann Winfree can be our marcus Colston from the saints. But he will need a year to really go. I am with you, on paper our WR look great. But when I saw them at practice it was meh. I am really let down by Desean Hamilton. Dude has the quicks and route running, but doesn't get open all that much for some reason. He should be beasting. I do not like Sutton with the drops.

Oddly enough the stupid Cb turned wr has impressed me a ton with his hands. He just sucks. langly. I hope he can stick around only because he can actually catch the football.

dogfish
07-29-2019, 01:38 PM
Thank you. Dramatic midgets are creepy.

yet oddly hot. . .

i can't remember the last pick i liked this much. . . never thought he'd make it to 41. . .

Thanks Zig...

but what if i wanna jump your ass? :naughty:

nah, in all seriousness, i hear ya. . . i'm just not sweating it because my expectations are tempered. . . given the situation as a whole, i simply don't think the offense is going to be all that good this year. . . i want to see progress on the line, and from lock-- and i'm hoping skanks will look like a capable playcaller. . . this team is built to dominate on defense. . . i'm fine with that, and okay with being patient while the offense develops. . . IMO, if lock ends up hitting, we can probably get by with what we have in the receiver group. . . if he doesn't, then we have bigger problems anyway. . .

on a related note, i'm gonna start a thread about fant. . .

Northman
07-29-2019, 01:43 PM
Wete talking about practice