PDA

View Full Version : Why Peyton Manning Turned Down Monday Night Football

Denver Native (Carol)
07-02-2019, 05:47 PM
(247Sports) – Peyton Manning has no interest in breaking down Eli Manning’s mechanics or impact on the game from behind the microphone. It sounds elementary, but Manning’s refusal to speak on his brother’s skill set is one of the reasons he declined an opportunity on ESPN’s Monday Night Football broadcast crew this season, according to NFL insider and Yahoo! Sports analyst Charles Robinson.

Robinson wrote Tuesday that Manning, who will instead host an ESPN series documenting the NFL’s 100th anniversary season, wasn’t interested in a potential conflict of interest upon discovery that two of his broadcast games would include Eli’s New York Giants and other games that involved Manning’s former teammates or friends.

“If he ever decides (Monday Night Football) is something he wants to do, it’s going to be after Eli has finished his career and he gets a little bit further from his era of playing and maybe some of his teammates have moved on, too,” one source said, according to Davis. “It would have been a tough position for him this season, with the Giants (and Broncos) being on the schedule.

rest - https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/07/02/peyton-manning-turned-down-monday-night-football/

Cugel
07-02-2019, 10:27 PM
"one of the reasons"? I'd say it's an additional reason, but by no means the biggest.

Peyton is bigger than the job of Monday Night Football. He wants to be a (part) owner. He wants control over a team like John Elway has. He'll probably get one or both of these things. Those are bigger gigs than Monday Night.

His 100th Anniversary Season series is HIS production. He gets to do it his way, and not have to answer to producers and network executives telling him what to do. Why should he not run his own show on a much bigger stage?

I think if he wanted a media gig announcing Sunday or Monday Night games as a commentator, he'd have got a job by now. How long can a guy hang around the house with the wife and kids and go to soccer games before she demands that he get another job just to get him out of the house? :laugh:

BeefStew25
07-03-2019, 12:18 PM
"one of the reasons"? I'd say it's an additional reason, but by no means the biggest.

Peyton is bigger than the job of Monday Night Football. He wants to be a (part) owner. He wants control over a team like John Elway has. He'll probably get one or both of these things. Those are bigger gigs than Monday Night.

His 100th Anniversary Season series is HIS production. He gets to do it his way, and not have to answer to producers and network executives telling him what to do. Why should he not run his own show on a much bigger stage?

I think if he wanted a media gig announcing Sunday or Monday Night games as a commentator, he'd have got a job by now. How long can a guy hang around the house with the wife and kids and go to soccer games before she demands that he get another job just to get him out of the house? :laugh:

I disagree with all of this.

TXBRONC
07-03-2019, 12:31 PM
I disagree with all of this.

It's pure speculation. He has no idea what Manning thinks.

BeefStew25
07-03-2019, 12:33 PM
It's pure speculation. He has no idea what Manning thinks.

Manning is footballs ambassador. He’s perfect for it. No one really hates him and I don’t think he’d want to hire and fire dudes.

TXBRONC
07-03-2019, 12:36 PM

What do you base this on? It certainly isn't anything Manning has said.

OrangeHoof
07-03-2019, 04:06 PM
Manning is footballs ambassador. He’s perfect for it. No one really hates him and I don’t think he’d want to hire and fire dudes.

I may be wrong but I think he saw how Elway was able to sustain some competitive juices by running the Broncos' FO and he wouldn't mind having a crack at it.

BeefStew25
07-03-2019, 05:25 PM
I may be wrong but I think he saw how Elway was able to sustain some competitive juices by running the Broncos' FO and he wouldn't mind having a crack at it.

Possibly. But I also thinks he likes to show up at various games and be America’s Guest. It’s so cool seeing him.

Cugel
07-04-2019, 12:08 PM

Peyton is like Elway when he retired. It's more than just another ex-player. Elway got that Elway car dealership thing going and sold it for hundreds of millions. He parlayed that into team ownership in the arena league. He turned that experience into running the Broncos as Team Pres.

That has long been thought to be a probable future for Peyton. It's better than commenting on games to actually have your hand in running things.

Being in charge matters to Peyton. He ran the Broncos his way. John Fox coached the team, but Peyton ran the team. Why would his retirement be any different?

BeefStew25
07-04-2019, 02:51 PM
Oh wow. Elway owned a car dealership. Thanks Cuges

BroncoJoe
07-04-2019, 05:06 PM

He always brings new and undiscovered information.

Timmy!
07-04-2019, 06:09 PM

:spit:

Cugel
07-06-2019, 04:25 AM
He always brings new and undiscovered information.

What do you contribute to the conversation by being deliberately stupid?

You know perfectly well my point is true. Elway took a business opportunity to create great wealth, enough to make him an owner in the Arena League.

That wasn't a step in itself but part of his plan to get back into football at the owner level. Essentially he's acting as the Broncos Owner right now, running the Football Operations.

But, to really run a team permanently, he'd have to be at least part owner. So, that's commonly expected to be his next step somewhere, perhaps in Denver.

Now what part of that mass of obviousness do you object to? Are you really that far out of the loop that you think "you don't know what Peyton wants"?

What the frig else would Peyton want? He has a couple of hundred Million $. He doesn't have to work.

Peyton has long been thought by all his former teammates and radio commenters to want to do the same thing. To become a team owner. And run things. His way.

And perhaps as part of that he becomes an NFL team president somewhere and runs an organization, like Elway.

Shazam!
07-06-2019, 06:02 AM
I wish i had the Elway 7 dealership badge Id stick it on my car

BroncoJoe
07-06-2019, 05:08 PM

You know perfectly well my point is true. Elway took a business opportunity to create great wealth, enough to make him an owner in the Arena League.

That wasn't a step in itself but part of his plan to get back into football at the owner level. Essentially he's acting as the Broncos Owner right now, running the Football Operations.

But, to really run a team permanently, he'd have to be at least part owner. So, that's commonly expected to be his next step somewhere, perhaps in Denver.

Now what part of that mass of obviousness do you object to? Are you really that far out of the loop that you think "you don't know what Peyton wants"?

What the frig else would Peyton want? He has a couple of hundred Million $. He doesn't have to work.

Peyton has long been thought by all his former teammates and radio commenters to want to do the same thing. To become a team owner. And run things. His way.

And perhaps as part of that he becomes an NFL team president somewhere and runs an organization, like Elway.

You bring absolutely nothing to the table, other than an empty plate. You then fill it up with useless information that every Broncos' fan already knows, and pass it off as new information or commentary. I don't think you have had an original thought - ever.

Talk about being deliberately stupid...

dogfish
07-06-2019, 10:30 PM
manning is already part-owner of the memphis grizzlies (though it's in his wife's name). . . i don't see it as much of a stretch to think he'd like to be involved in an NFL ownership group someday. . . he can still be an ambassador for the game-- or maybe ambassador to ireland, like rooney was. . .

TXBRONC
07-08-2019, 08:52 AM

No one knows if your point is true because there is no hard evidence that I'm aware of to support what you just said. You keep acting you're some that Manning and Elway confide in.

Cugel
07-08-2019, 07:15 PM
No one knows if your point is true because there is no hard evidence that I'm aware of to support what you just said. You keep acting you're some that Manning and Elway confide in.

No, actually I keep acting like someone who is paying attention to Broncos news on the radio, TV and on the internet, from Broncos beat reporters and the like. There is quite a lot of news on that front, but apparently you are taking a long summer's nap.

In short, you pay no attention to what insiders are saying, then you complain "I never head that! HOw do you know?" Then I tell you what a LOT of people are saying is taken for granted as obvious stuff, then you complain "You don't know that! Fake news!" Etc. Round and round.

The problem is that you aren't listening, then when I say something simple and obvious like "Peyton would like to become a part owner and potentially run a team" you act like it's some wild, unheard of rumor.

Its not. It's not "hard evidence" because there can be NO "hard evidence" until Peyton does something, but it's not mere wild speculation either. :coffee:

TXBRONC
07-09-2019, 08:07 AM
No, actually I keep acting like someone who is paying attention to Broncos news on the radio, TV and on the internet, from Broncos beat reporters and the like. There is quite a lot of news on that front, but apparently you are taking a long summer's nap.

In short, you pay no attention to what insiders are saying, then you complain "I never head that! HOw do you know?" Then I tell you what a LOT of people are saying is taken for granted as obvious stuff, then you complain "You don't know that! Fake news!" Etc. Round and round.

The problem is that you aren't listening, then when I say something simple and obvious like "Peyton would like to become a part owner and potentially run a team" you act like it's some wild, unheard of rumor.

Its not. It's not "hard evidence" because there can be NO "hard evidence" until Peyton does something, but it's not mere wild speculation either. :coffee:

There are a lot of people who have paid attention myself included and we don't make things up out of thin air. As far insiders come on, your go to "insider" is DMac the most unreliable reporter out there.

Yeah it is wild speculation when your "reliable sources" are the DMacs of the world. :coffee:

aberdien
07-09-2019, 12:17 PM
I'd be surprised if 18 didn't try his hand at football management/ownership at some point.