PDA

View Full Version : What was the most fun Broncos non-super bowl season?

sneakers
06-18-2019, 03:45 AM
Is 2011 the most obvious answer?

BroncoWave
06-18-2019, 05:50 AM
Yes. 05 was also really fun before the crappy ending.

Shazam!
06-18-2019, 06:35 AM
Id have to really figure out and delve deeper but ive narrowed it to 3-

All teams lost in the playoffs but it was clear Denver was building up a path to success. The NFL was officially on notice.

Davii
06-18-2019, 07:37 AM
11. We knew there was no chance for long-term success with Tim, but it sure was fun to watch.

Shazam!
06-18-2019, 07:52 AM
11. We knew there was no chance for long-term success with Tim, but it sure was fun to watch.

Do ypu think TT would have been the guy in 2012 if PFM wasnt available?

Davii
06-18-2019, 08:10 AM

No. John was finding a better solution no matter what.

Shazam!
06-18-2019, 08:16 AM

Any idea who that would have been? Alex Smith?

MasterShake
06-18-2019, 08:17 AM
2005 - Just a fun team that ultimately overachieved. It was great to see them knock out the seemingly invincible Pats out of the playoffs which included one of Champ's greatest plays ever. I still can't forgive how many fans gave up their seats to Steelers fans in the AFCCG. I think we would've rolled the Seahawks in that Super Bowl.

2011 - After the team was gutted by McDaniels this was probably a darker time for me than even the last few years, but John Fox and Mike McCoy retooling the team to fit Tebow was the most interesting experiment in NFL history to me. I will never forget the game against Kansas City where I think he threw it like 2 times and we won? That and going to the Bears game with some of the fine people in this forum and seeing that unlikely win.

2012 - I almost forget what a big question mark Manning was after his neck surgery. Would the first big hit turn him into a PEZ dispenser on national TV? After a rocky start, the comeback game against the Chargers after starting 2-3 led to an 11 game win streak finish. I still think that was one of our best teams ever, just didn't work out in the playoffs which sucked.

Shazam!
06-18-2019, 08:52 AM
2005 - Just a fun team that ultimately overachieved. It was great to see them knock out the seemingly invincible Pats out of the playoffs which included one of Champ's greatest plays ever. I still can't forgive how many fans gave up their seats to Steelers fans in the AFCCG. I think we would've rolled the Seahawks in that Super Bowl.

2011 - After the team was gutted by McDaniels this was probably a darker time for me than even the last few years, but John Fox and Mike McCoy retooling the team to fit Tebow was the most interesting experiment in NFL history to me. I will never forget the game against Kansas City where I think he threw it like 2 times and we won? That and going to the Bears game with some of the fine people in this forum and seeing that unlikely win.

2012 - I almost forget what a big question mark Manning was after his neck surgery. Would the first big hit turn him into a PEZ dispenser on national TV? After a rocky start, the comeback game against the Chargers after starting 2-3 led to an 11 game win streak finish. I still think that was one of our best teams ever, just didn't work out in the playoffs which sucked.

That Chargers game in 2012 was one of the beat Broncos games of all time.

Davii
06-18-2019, 10:35 AM
Any idea who that would have been? Alex Smith?

No idea. Anyone better. Maybe even you.

aberdien
06-18-2019, 10:42 AM
The Mile High Miracle Tim Tebow season was the most exciting year for me, even more than the recent SB year.

Davii
06-18-2019, 10:44 AM
The Mile High Miracle Tim Tebow season was the most exciting year for me, even more than the recent SB year.

Really? SB 50 was an awesome year. Watching that defense maul people was a blast, the playoffs especially.

underrated29
06-18-2019, 10:45 AM
Tebow

aberdien
06-18-2019, 10:48 AM
Really? SB 50 was an awesome year. Watching that defense maul people was a blast, the playoffs especially.

It was awesome. But the excitement of the Tebow year was something else. Partially because there weren't really expectations. SB was great but it was more stressful obviously. Tebow year wasn't stressful, it was just pure fun.

BroncoWave
06-18-2019, 10:49 AM

That was a strange year. The defense was amazing but the offense was so frustrating to watch. I was at the browns game that year and the offense tried to give that game away half a dozen times.

Having won it all obviously paints that season in a much better light, but I wouldn't say that was one of the more fun Broncos teams to watch overall.

The 12 and 13 teams were more fun to watch for me.

NightTrainLayne
06-18-2019, 11:23 AM
That Chargers game in 2012 was one of the beat Broncos games of all time.

That pinpoint touchdown pass to Wes Welker on the sideline to get us back in the lead. .. ..Wow. That game was a great roller-coaster ride.

About 4:35 in this highlight video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAzkPNbxALU

Davii
06-18-2019, 11:26 AM
That was a strange year. The defense was amazing but the offense was so frustrating to watch. I was at the browns game that year and the offense tried to give that game away half a dozen times.

Having won it all obviously paints that season in a much better light, but I wouldn't say that was one of the more fun Broncos teams to watch overall.

The 12 and 13 teams were more fun to watch for me.

I agree completely, but I know my heart rate was elevated EVERY GAME that year. So many close victories, so many times I was pissed or dejected at the offense choking it away only to have the D ride in and save the day and make me elated for the finish.

I voted Tebow year as the most exciting non SB year, but it still pales in comparison to 50 in my mind. Those moments in the playoffs, particularly the Pats game, were amazing.

Tebow's year was a blast, I expected a loss every week and was happy as hell to see the team keep grinding. It was awesome, and I agree, probably because the expectations were zero, but I could never choose that over that 50 season.

Davii
06-18-2019, 11:29 AM
That pinpoint touchdown pass to Wes Welker on the sideline to get us back in the lead. .. ..Wow. That game was a great roller-coaster ride.

That game was amazing. What a comeback. For the team, the organization, and Manning himself.

BroncoWave
06-18-2019, 11:31 AM
I agree completely, but I know my heart rate was elevated EVERY GAME that year. So many close victories, so many times I was pissed or dejected at the offense choking it away only to have the D ride in and save the day and make me elated for the finish.

I voted Tebow year as the most exciting non SB year, but it still pales in comparison to 50 in my mind. Those moments in the playoffs, particularly the Pats game, were amazing.

Tebow's year was a blast, I expected a loss every week and was happy as hell to see the team keep grinding. It was awesome, and I agree, probably because the expectations were zero, but I could never choose that over that 50 season.

Yeah, the 2016 playoff run was just incredible. The media pretty much completely wrote us off in all 3 games and called us the worst 1 seed of all time (which does kinda play into my point of that regular season not always being the most fun to watch), but that defense just came out and totally grabbed that title for us.

Easily my favorite playoff run, mixed emotions on the regular season though. Overall that might have been the third best regular season teams in Manning's 4 years here, but they just hit another level in the playoffs.

Just goes to show how you can pretty much throw out the regular season when the playoffs start.

NightTrainLayne
06-18-2019, 11:39 AM
Yeah, the 2016 playoff run was just incredible. The media pretty much completely wrote us off in all 3 games and called us the worst 1 seed of all time (which does kinda play into my point of that regular season not always being the most fun to watch), but that defense just came out and totally grabbed that title for us.

Easily my favorite playoff run, mixed emotions on the regular season though. Overall that might have been the third best regular season teams in Manning's 4 years here, but they just hit another level in the playoffs.

Just goes to show how you can pretty much throw out the regular season when the playoffs start.

Gary Kubiak did a tremendous job leading that team. At the moment it happened, I felt bringing Manning back in against the Chargers was absolutely the wrong decision. I felt like it was a panic move. But it was absolutely the right call, and the rest is history.

No way we win the SuperBowl if we didn't have home-field advantage through the playoffs. And that team earned home-field, in part due to that decision that led to a win over the Chargers. Kubiak did a tremendous job handling that whole Manning injury and it's impact on the team.

BroncoWave
06-18-2019, 11:42 AM
Gary Kubiak did a tremendous job leading that team. At the moment it happened, I felt bringing Manning back in against the Chargers was absolutely the wrong decision. I felt like it was a panic move. But it was absolutely the right call, and the rest is history.

No way we win the SuperBowl if we didn't have home-field advantage through the playoffs. And that team earned home-field, in part due to that decision that led to a win over the Chargers. Kubiak did a tremendous job handling that whole Manning injury and it's impact on the team.

No doubt. That decision saved our season. Totally agree we probably don't beat the pats if that game is played there.

BroncoWave
06-18-2019, 11:45 AM
Thinking back about those 2012 and 2013 seasons, we totally could have won 3 rings with Manning. 2012 was probably the most complete team in the league and just lost on the biggest fluke ever. 2013 would have been the best team in almost any other year but just ran into a historic buzzsaw of a defense that we matched up terribly against.

We had a lot break right for us in 15 but we deserved it after those two heartbreaks.

BroncoJoe
06-18-2019, 11:47 AM
1984 was a really fun year, until the playoffs...

Davii
06-18-2019, 11:50 AM
1984 was a really fun year, until the playoffs...

I remember bits and pieces, I was only 7 but watched with Dad.

Northman
06-18-2019, 05:08 PM
The Tebow year. Every game was a nail biter but in the end you were screaming for joy by the end of it. The Chicago game was really crazy from the word go.

The Glue Factory
06-18-2019, 05:17 PM
The Tebow year. Every game was a nail biter but in the end you were screaming for joy by the end of it. The Chicago game was really crazy from the word go.

75% because of the Denver D.
20% because opposing DCs freaked out and went prevent defense allowing the Tebow magic.
5% Tebow magic.

If those opposing DCs had kept to their game plan Denver wouldn't have caught a wiff of the playoffs that year. The Cheatriots showed the league how to deal with Denver but not many paid attention (especially Pittsburgh).

Northman
06-18-2019, 05:29 PM
75% because of the Denver D.
20% because opposing DCs freaked out and went prevent defense allowing the Tebow magic.
5% Tebow magic.

If those opposing DCs had kept to their game plan Denver wouldn't have caught a wiff of the playoffs that year. The Cheatriots showed the league how to deal with Denver but not many paid attention (especially Pittsburgh).

Obviously all correct BUT it still didnt change how the season unfolded. I mean, its not Tebow's fault that the rest of the league allowed us to stay in games. Even going back to that Chicago game (cant remember their RB's name) if that guy doesnt go out of bounds we lose that one.

sneakers
06-18-2019, 05:30 PM
That bears game in 2011....all he had to do is stay in bounds.

nope, it was tebow time

The Glue Factory
06-18-2019, 05:41 PM
Obviously all correct BUT it still didnt change how the season unfolded. I mean, its not Tebow's fault that the rest of the league allowed us to stay in games. Even going back to that Chicago game (cant remember their RB's name) if that guy doesnt go out of bounds we lose that one.

Don't get me wrong, that season was an absolute BLAST! I just couldn't (and still can't) believe the number of DCs that thought Tebow was anything more than third tier pedestrian talent. Especially Pittsburgh in the wildcard game that apparently didn't bother watching tape from the Cheatriots game.

Cugel
06-18-2019, 08:20 PM
What season was Steve Atwater's monster hit on Christian Okoye?

I think in terms of good and Bad Broncos games, and then extrapolate to a season.
Favorite plays like a number of Manning TD throws to Julius Thomas in 2013.

I was sure people would say 2011. But for me, I hated 2011, because I couldn't stand Tim Tebow. I was afraid that if Tebow's miracle run continued, we'd be stuck with him for a long term.

And it was obvious that he simply wasn't a viable long term QB for reasons that now are blindingly obvious. He never learned to throw an accurate forward pass. And there's just nowhere for you to go in the NFL as a QB if you can't do that. Ultimately 3 different teams gave him a chance to prove he could (eventually) learn to be an accurate passer who knew how to run an offense from the pocket. But, he never learned. So, he bounced out of the NFL.

Contrary to all the blind Tebowites, I felt this was obvious from the beginning, so I loathed Tebow and didn't want to see him continue as the Broncos QB. It would never have worked. Tebow proved that by failing everywhere he went. Chance after chance, flub after flub.

Timmy!
06-18-2019, 08:31 PM

And by Wes Welker you mean Brandon Stokely.

Welker was still a pat.

BroncoWave
06-18-2019, 09:33 PM

Welker was still a pat.

To be fair they all look the same.

Canmore
06-19-2019, 01:23 AM
I loved 2011. It was magic. Pure and simple. Tebow to Thomas. Unfortunately, the clock struck midnight on Cinderella.

ShaneFalco
06-19-2019, 07:02 AM
https://media1.giphy.com/media/1hJlWWBdpBD1u/giphy.gif

The Glue Factory
06-19-2019, 08:59 AM
https://media1.giphy.com/media/1hJlWWBdpBD1u/giphy.gif

To be fair, The vast majority of Tebow's magic can be attributed to opposing DCs. Watch either (or both) of the games against the Cheatriots that year to see Tebow's real NFL ability.

NightTrainLayne
06-19-2019, 12:29 PM

Welker was still a pat.

To be fair they all look the same.

Oops. A mistake anyone could make. :)

TXBRONC
06-19-2019, 12:41 PM
Id have to really figure out and delve deeper but ive narrowed it to 3-

All teams lost in the playoffs but it was clear Denver was building up a path to success. The NFL was officially on notice.

I would go with 2012 because of how poorly we started off and how strongly we finished.

Cugel
06-19-2019, 01:32 PM
To be fair, The vast majority of Tebow's magic can be attributed to opposing DCs. Watch either (or both) of the games against the Cheatriots that year to see Tebow's real NFL ability.

They just sat back and flooded the short zone, and when he tried to run, come up and make the tackle. They beat him up and cracked his ribs so badly that if by some miracle the Broncos had been able to move on to the Championship game he couldn't have played at all.

BeefStew25
06-19-2019, 02:36 PM
Going 8-8 was a gift and wonderful.

Everyone knew he wouldn’t be back. If you hated that season it says more about you than Timmy.

The Glue Factory
06-19-2019, 02:58 PM
They just sat back and flooded the short zone, and when he tried to run, come up and make the tackle. They beat him up and cracked his ribs so badly that if by some miracle the Broncos had been able to move on to the Championship game he couldn't have played at all.

Belicheat held 2 clinics on how to deal with Tebow. I was (and still am) amazed that we still won games after the first clinic.

BeefStew25
06-19-2019, 03:04 PM
Belicheat held 2 clinics on how to deal with Tebow. I was (and still am) amazed that we still won games after the first clinic.

It’s almost like he could probably plug in any QB at this point.

MOtorboat
06-19-2019, 03:32 PM
2005 was my favorite. Champ Bailey was in the middle of one of the great defensive stretches ever.

underrated29
06-19-2019, 03:37 PM
2005 was my favorite. Champ Bailey was in the middle of one of the great defensive stretches ever.

Him personally or the entire defense.
I am intrigued Moseph, tell me more!

MOtorboat
06-19-2019, 03:40 PM
Him personally or the entire defense.
I am intrigued Moseph, tell me more!

Champ Bailey shut down one side of the field for three years. It and Von Miller’s 2014-16 are the two best individual defensive performances, IMO, in Broncos history. The rest of the defense was decent, but Bailey was amazing.

Canmore
06-19-2019, 04:18 PM
Champ Bailey shut down one side of the field for three years. It and Von Miller’s 2014-16 are the two best individual defensive performances, IMO, in Broncos history. The rest of the defense was decent, but Bailey was amazing.

2005 and 2006. Amazing seasons. I feel he was the best most complete player to man that position. What an athlete. I still wear my Bailey jersey on game day.

Canmore
06-19-2019, 08:20 PM

The Bears running back Marion Barber certainly helped out.

spikerman
06-19-2019, 09:17 PM
To be fair, The vast majority of Tebow's magic can be attributed to opposing DCs.

Three of Tom Brady’s rings come courtesy of the same reason and nobody seems to care about that.

ShaneFalco
06-19-2019, 10:13 PM

so the two games where he played one of the greatest coaches of all time and the greatest QB of all time?

Sounds good.

If only he had beaten 2 GOATs in his first season ever, then maybe he would have gotten your respect.

Simple Jaded
06-20-2019, 12:15 AM
You guys must really enjoy shit football.

Tebow made Vance Joseph look competent.

Canmore
06-20-2019, 12:36 AM
Gumby couldn't make Vance Joseph look competent.

BeefStew25
06-20-2019, 08:35 AM

Your pissing and moaning won’t change that gift of a season.

Shazam!
06-20-2019, 08:39 AM

Wanna see that deadly Cardinals Defense.

The Glue Factory
06-20-2019, 09:30 AM
so the two games where he played one of the greatest coaches of all time and the greatest QB of all time?

Manning managed to beat that pair twice in 2015. If Tebow was as great as you claim he could have managed at least .500 against them, right?

Shazam!
06-20-2019, 09:50 AM

Manning and even Osweiler managed to beat that pair twice in 2015. If Tebow was as great as you claim he could have managed at least .500 against them, right?

Edited.

Bronco4ever
06-20-2019, 09:53 AM
Just throwing out something different, but 2000 was a fun season. Griese looked like he could've been the second coming had it not been for that shoulder injury. He got injured in Oakland and he came back in to win against Chucky. Mike Anderson was the 3rd RB on the depth chart to start the season and ended up winning rookie of the year. He nearly broke the single game rushing record against the Saints. I think Rod Smith and Ed McCaffrey both had 100+ receptions that season. And as a 13 y/o I got to go to my first game. My dad and I sat on the 50 yardline, second row, and watched the Broncos massacre the Browns.

Shazam!
06-20-2019, 09:54 AM
Just throwing out something different, but 2000 was a fun season. Griese looked like he could've been the second coming had it not been for that shoulder injury. He got injured in Oakland and he came back in to win against Chucky. Mike Anderson was the 3rd RB on the depth chart to start the season and ended up winning rookie of the year. He nearly broke the single game rushing record against the Saints. I think Rod Smith and Ed McCaffrey both had 100+ receptions that season. And as a 13 y/o I got to go to my first game. My dad and I sat on the 50 yardline, second row, and watched the Broncos massacre the Browns.

Watching the Bengals ****in destroy the Broncos D wasnt fun.

Simple Jaded
06-20-2019, 11:21 PM
Your pissing and moaning won’t change that gift of a season.

Gift? I rest my case.

Simple Jaded
06-20-2019, 11:24 PM

One has an NFL career, the other pissed his career away because of vanity ... so much for being God’s gift to football.

Cugel
06-22-2019, 08:11 PM

You know perfectly well that isn't possible. :coffee:

Vance Joseph could never look competent.

chanesaw
06-25-2019, 08:31 PM
I didn't start watching until 1986, but here is my list:
Big gap
Then all the other years of John Elway.

*Least favorites were the 4 years of Vance Joseph and Josh McDaniels. The order doesn't matter.

BeefStew25
06-25-2019, 09:17 PM
2019 will be the greatest season ever.

NightTrainLayne
06-26-2019, 11:35 AM
2019 will be the greatest season ever.

Bank on it!

The Glue Factory
06-26-2019, 11:58 AM
Bank on it!

Rookie QB wins SB!!!

BeefStew25
06-26-2019, 03:23 PM
Bank on it!

It’s a lock.

7DnBrnc53
06-27-2019, 12:12 AM

Brandon Weeden would have been Elway's choice for replacement. Not a better solution. On the flip side, though, maybe we would have Carr or Jimmy G by now.

Dreadnought
06-27-2019, 06:51 AM

Great call on 2000. I'm going to throw in 1981 as well. 1981? yep. Broncos were coming off an 8-8 disappointment, and with the dismal Matt Robinson experiment fresh in everyone's mind they still hadn't been able to replace 38 year old Craig Morton. And Morton opens the season with IMO his best year ever, helped by Steve Watson's one year as arguably the best WR in the NFL, averaging over 20 yards per catch and leading the League with 13 TD's. We destroyed the heavily favored Chargers in week 4, and were rolling until age and injuries caught up with Morton, and the defense lost Louis Wright halfway through the year. We got KO'ed from the playoffs in the final week by losing to a crappy Bears team. '82 was horrid, with the strike and Morton's career ended in week 2 by injury.

'81 was a flawed team; Pedestrian running game, terrible pass blocking, erratic FG kicker - but they could hit that deep ball like nobodies business

7DnBrnc53
06-27-2019, 05:14 PM
Great call on 2000. I'm going to throw in 1981 as well. 1981? yep. Broncos were coming off an 8-8 disappointment, and with the dismal Matt Robinson experiment fresh in everyone's mind they still hadn't been able to replace 38 year old Craig Morton. And Morton opens the season with IMO his best year ever, helped by Steve Watson's one year as arguably the best WR in the NFL, averaging over 20 yards per catch and leading the League with 13 TD's. We destroyed the heavily favored Chargers in week 4, and were rolling until age and injuries caught up with Morton, and the defense lost Louis Wright halfway through the year. We got KO'ed from the playoffs in the final week by losing to a crappy Bears team. '82 was horrid, with the strike and Morton's career ended in week 2 by injury.

'81 was a flawed team; Pedestrian running game, terrible pass blocking, erratic FG kicker - but they could hit that deep ball like nobodies business

That was my first season as a Denver fan (8 years old). I think that team was better than the 1977 team. They had the same defense (minus Joe Rizzo and Lyle Alzado and Bernard Jackson, but with Aaron Kyle, Dennis Smith, Don Latimer, and Rulon Jones) but with a better offense (their O-line still wasn't great, but it was better than the 77 version. And, they had Steve Watson). However, they didn't take care of the ball as well, and they had a tougher schedule than their 77 counterparts.

Shazam!
06-27-2019, 05:23 PM
That was my first season as a Denver fan (8 years old). I think that team was better than the 1977 team. They had the same defense (minus Joe Rizzo and Lyle Alzado and Bernard Jackson, but with Aaron Kyle, Dennis Smith, Don Latimer, and Rulon Jones) but with a better offense (their O-line still wasn't great, but it was better than the 77 version. And, they had Steve Watson). However, they didn't take care of the ball as well, and they had a tougher schedule than their 77 counterparts.

Oops.

Timmy!
06-27-2019, 06:31 PM
OLine wasn't great? Really.

It was the best in the League.

Only Mike Holmgren apparently didnt know.

Wtf are you babbling about?

Shazam!
06-27-2019, 07:24 PM
OLine wasn't great? Really.

It was the best in the League.

Only Mike Holmgren apparently didnt know.

Wtf are you babbling about?

Wrong... Everything.

Ive been having serious issues with the App ever since that Poll thread.

slim
06-27-2019, 10:07 PM
Wrong... Everything.

Ever since you banged your cousin?

Shazam!
06-28-2019, 04:33 AM
Wrong... Everything.

Ever since you banged your cousin?

Uh no

Cugel
06-28-2019, 07:10 AM
Brandon Weeden would have been Elway's choice for replacement. Not a better solution. On the flip side, though, maybe we would have Carr or Jimmy G by now.

Elway liked Brandon Weeden because he had "maturity", which means he was a rookie at age 29 in 2012. I was shocked to see he was in the league last year with Houston after sitting on a couch for 2 seasons.

Although on the other hand, Weeden was only 6'3" so not the typical Elway giraffe. Elway didn't take him because they had Peyton and Osweiler was only 21 years old, so he'd still be quite young when Peyton retired (as it worked out).

Young, but not any good. Russell Wilson was drafted in the 3rd round, but he is only 5'11" and Elway would never have taken him, because it takes a giraffe apparently to see over the OL. Nick Foles and Kirk Cousins were taken in the 3rd and 4th rounds that year too.

Shazam!
06-28-2019, 09:12 AM

Elway liked Brandon Weeden because he had "maturity", which means he was a rookie at age 29 in 2012. I was shocked to see he was in the league last year with Houston after sitting on a couch for 2 seasons.

Although on the other hand, Weeden was only 6'3" so not the typical Elway giraffe. Elway didn't take him because they had Peyton and Osweiler was only 21 years old, so he'd still be quite young when Peyton retired (as it worked out).

Young, but not any good. Russell Wilson was drafted in the 3rd round, but he is only 5'11" and Elway would never have taken him, because it takes a giraffe apparently to see over the OL. Nick Foles and Kirk Cousins were taken in the 3rd and 4th rounds that year too.

Who knows what could have been had Weeden sat behind Manning though

Magnificent Seven
06-28-2019, 10:50 PM
Off the subject... Tonight, I watched Super Bowl '90. Bills vs. Giants game. It was painfully to see Jim Kelly losing this game. Kicker Norwood blew it big time. If Norwood made it... Jim Kelly would have 1 SB ring.

Canmore
06-29-2019, 12:35 AM
I believe it was a 48 yard field goal attempt. Not exactly a gimme. Sorry, it was a 47 yard attempt.

Shazam!
06-29-2019, 06:18 AM
Off the subject... Tonight, I watched Super Bowl '90. Bills vs. Giants game. It was painfully to see Jim Kelly losing this game. Kicker Norwood blew it big time. If Norwood made it... Jim Kelly would have 1 SB ring.

If Buffalo had won just one of its four appearances theyd have changed the direction of the franchise.

Cugel
06-29-2019, 10:27 PM
If Buffalo had won just one of its four appearances theyd have changed the direction of the franchise.

Yes. Good thing that didn't happen then. Screw the Bills. And the Dolphins. I only like them and the Jets better than the Patriots, because the Patriots are much more dangerous.

Timmy!
06-30-2019, 06:24 AM
Yes. Good thing that didn't happen then. Screw the Bills. And the Dolphins. I only like them and the Jets better than the Patriots, because the Patriots are much more dangerous.

In depth take.......

The most painful thing, i would think, for Bills fans is they should have won that 1st SB. Wide right. Imagine being that close, and then getting there the next 3 years in a row, all to get ******* pwned.....and then get a 20 year or some shit playoff drought. It's like Bronco fans in a horrible, kill me now, alternate universe. No wonder they drink like fishes as they smash through tables.

Shazam!
06-30-2019, 07:07 AM

In depth take.......

The most painful thing, i would think, for Bills fans is they should have won that 1st SB. Wide right. Imagine being that close, and then getting there the next 3 years in a row, all to get ******* pwned.....and then get a 20 year or some shit playoff drought. It's like Bronco fans in a horrible, kill me now, alternate universe. No wonder they drink like fishes as they smash through tables.

They will be remembered for dominating the AFC for four years in a manner similar to NE, albeit without the Super Bowl titles. Says a lot about Marv Levy. Buffalo was well coached and never unprepared to play. Four straight AFC Championships is still quite an accomplishment. They beat some pretty good teams including Denver to get there.

TXBRONC
06-30-2019, 09:19 AM
They will be remembered for dominating the AFC for four years in a manner similar to NE, albeit without the Super Bowl titles. Says a lot about Marv Levy. Buffalo was well coached and never unprepared to play. Four straight AFC Championships is still quite an accomplishment. They beat some pretty good teams including Denver to get there.

Agreed, it is quite an accomplishment to go to four straight AFCCG. However, what the Broncos accomplished from the end of the '96 season including the playoffs and the '97 season I will always savor.

Shazam!
06-30-2019, 10:08 AM

Agreed, it is quite an accomplishment to go to four straight AFCCG. However, what the Broncos accomplished from the end of the '96 season including the playoffs and the '97 season I will always savor.

Oh i wasnt comparing at all. Broncos overtook them as AFC powerhouses enroute to more exorcising even more past demons.

BeefStew25
06-30-2019, 10:36 AM
In depth take.......

Us if TD didn’t come along.

Cugel
06-30-2019, 10:37 AM
In depth take.......

They drink like fishes because they live in Buffalo! Have you ever been to Buffalo in the winter? There is no other way to survive a winter in Buffalo if you're not stone drunk from November through April.

Of course they're pretty much drunk all the other times of the year too, so maybe I'm wrong about that. :coffee:

Shazam!
06-30-2019, 10:41 AM
In depth take.......

They drink like fishes because they live in Buffalo! Have you ever been to Buffalo in the winter? There is no other way to survive a winter in Buffalo if you're not stone drunk from November through April.

Of course they're pretty much drunk all the other times of the year too, so maybe I'm wrong about that. :coffee:

Buffalo is turning into a dump.

Cugel
07-08-2019, 07:23 PM

I still have no idea how they managed to lose to a Giants team playing without Phil Simms. It was a weird game. Buffalo was clearly the better team but they blew it, rather like the Broncos blowing it against the Ravens in 2012, which was my least favorite Broncos game.

Given how high powered that offense was, it obviously should never have come down to a 47 yard FG. That was as big an upset as the Giants 2007 victory against the Patriots given how the Bills ran over everybody that year.

Shazam!
07-08-2019, 08:44 PM

I still have no idea how they managed to lose to a Giants team playing without Phil Simms. It was a weird game. Buffalo was clearly the better team but they blew it, rather like the Broncos blowing it against the Ravens in 2012, which was my least favorite Broncos game.

Given how high powered that offense was, it obviously should never have come down to a 47 yard FG. That was as big an upset as the Giants 2007 victory against the Patriots given how the Bills ran over everybody that year.

Jeff Hostetler was nothing to sneeze at. He was a very solid QB had a few good year in LA.

NightTrainLayne
07-09-2019, 09:38 AM

It was great game-planning by Parcells and company (Bill Belichick & Romeo Crennell on that defensive staff).

They played a great ball-control style, and ran the ball a lot, ran a lot of clock on every play and possession, and kept the Bills offense off of the field, limiting how many opportunities they had to score.

And it still came down to a missed field goal at the end. That game-plan was the only way the Giants could win it, and they played to it perfectly.

sneakers
07-15-2019, 05:40 PM
I can't say 2005 (even tho the broncs got really close to 2 1000 yard rushers) because good Jake/bad Jake was too frustrating to watch at times

sneakers
07-15-2019, 05:41 PM

1996 AFC divisional vs Jags was more painful than any superb owl loss

Dreadnought
07-15-2019, 06:14 PM

Buffalo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NYC. I've had a lot of fun in Buffalo, and didn't feel cheated every time I ordered a meal

Shazam!
07-15-2019, 06:54 PM

Buffalo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NYC. I've had a lot of fun in Buffalo, and didn't feel cheated every time I ordered a meal

Oh I didnt say NYC was on my A list far from it. The Bronx is a rathole, SI is a waste site and Manhattan I wouldn't even think of driving in.

JPPT1974
07-15-2019, 08:44 PM
Buffalo has a dump of a stadium not just as a team. Or so they say.

Shazam!
07-15-2019, 10:35 PM
Buffalo has a dump of a stadium not just as a team. Or so they say.

Its a Relic... But I kinda like old stadiums

tomjonesrocks
07-21-2019, 04:44 PM

This seems the only answer. Nothing was expected of that team and crazy things happened. The Pats game obviously was pathetic but it was certainly interesting.

96 is the most insane choice to me. The only non-SB year that possibly hurt on the same level is owed to Rahim Moore. Enjoyable? Not to me. It was like a wild relationship where all you remember in the end was the scorched-earth breakup.

05 I thought Denver overachieved and was prepared for the luck to run out. Was never totally sold on that squad so I was bummed but not devastated - I really saw the Steelers’ loss coming. In hindsight that was a better team than I gave them credit for at the time. Loved Anderson that season.

Shazam!
07-21-2019, 05:16 PM

This seems the only answer. Nothing was expected of that team and crazy things happened. The Pats game obviously was pathetic but it was certainly interesting.

96 is the most insane choice to me. The only non-SB year that possibly hurt on the same level is owed to Rahim Moore. Enjoyable? Not to me. It was like a wild relationship where all you remember in the end was the scorched-earth breakup.

05 I thought Denver overachieved and was prepared for the luck to run out. Was never totally sold on that squad so I was bummed but not devastated - I really saw the Steelers’ loss coming. In hindsight that was a better team than I gave them credit for at the time. Loved Anderson that season.

Once Pitt beat Indy and had to come to Denver I thought they were gonna be Super. Still was a great year.

7DnBrnc53
07-21-2019, 08:26 PM
Once Pitt beat Indy and had to come to Denver I thought they were gonna be Super. Still was a great year.

2005 was nice, but 2003 should have been what 2005 was. Injuries prevented that. I have always said that the 03 Broncos were better than the 05 version.

tripp
07-21-2019, 08:55 PM
2005 - Was so much fun because of how dominant Champ Bailey was, Jake Plummer looked pretty good with Ashley Lelie's surfing TD celebrations. Went to my first ever regular season Broncos game in Buffalo, which was a Sunday/Monday nighter (I forget which), was such a memorable season along with beating the Pats in the playoffs.

2011 - As everyone else stated Tim Tebow 4th quarter heroics was something I don't think NFL fans have ever quite seen.

2008 - Felt like a fun season because Jay Cutler felt like at the time he was going to make an eventual step to becoming an elite level talent. Eddie Royal looked class, Brandon Marshall was well on his way to becoming a top WR in the league. Peyton Hillis felt like a force coming out of the back field. Felt like we had a young offensive team that could do some damage for years to come.

tripp
07-21-2019, 09:03 PM

I live an hour from Buffalo and it's safe to say, Buffalo has always been a dump (for as long as I can remember). I think there's a huge portion of us Canadians that make the trek down (some come down in grey hound buses) and because alcohol is so much cheaper for us in the States vs north of the border, I think they/we use it as an excuse to even get more wasted than usual. But you guys are right as well... there isn't anything pleasant about the area, and the stadium is a shit hole, and an even colder shit hole, mid October onward.

I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I finally got to Denver to see a game. Is this how normal people enjoy football games? haha