PDA

View Full Version : Adios Sam Adams

Buff
12-04-2007, 05:35 PM
Finally... It looks like the Broncos waived him today--

Meanwhile, the Broncos cut starting defensive tackle Sam Adams and reserve cornerback Jeff Shoate. They're expected to be replaced this week. Adams didn't make much of an impacrt after signing as a free agent in June.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_7633376

This season is already a wash, so it doesn't really make a huge difference to me on whether it was today or this offseason... But it was obvious that Sam Adams has long passed his prime. He could barely get on and off the field, let alone make an impact in the trenches.

The only thing that bugs me is that we're starting guys at DL that were bagging groceries a couple weeks ago. Granted, they're probably better than Sam Adams, but it goes to show just how bad a job our talent evaluators have done at that position.

Grover
12-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Sam Adam's play seemed to mirror the team as a whole. He had a couple of good plays, some decent games, but didn't seem like he had enough in the tank.

Looking at him, I thought he was just too big to be effective and he played like he was carrying too much weight or at least wasn't strong enough to haul it consistently.

I'm not too disappointed to see Sam and Shoate go. I wonder who they'll bring on? My guess is they'll bring on Steven Harris from our own Practice Squad to replace Adams.

Lonestar
12-04-2007, 08:38 PM
I thought I saw Sam taking on two players most often times he was on the field. Perhaps it time for talent to be evaluated for the rest of the season..

This season is all over but the shouting..

Hopefully they can get a couple more biggies to replace him for next year, one to play most of the time and the other to spell him and Thomas..

BroncoWave
12-04-2007, 08:46 PM
I'm just glad that my adoptee is surviving the slaughter!

broncosfanscott
12-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Sam Adam's play seemed to mirror the team as a whole. He had a couple of good plays, some decent games, but didn't seem like he had enough in the tank.

Looking at him, I thought he was just too big to be effective and he played like he was carrying too much weight or at least wasn't strong enough to haul it consistently.

I'm not too disappointed to see Sam and Shoate go. I wonder who they'll bring on? My guess is they'll bring on Steven Harris from our own Practice Squad to replace Adams.

I am glad to see him go. I mean I would like to have guys up front that at least can be mobile. He was ineffective and I think we even got penalties because he couldn't get off the field quick enough or had to burn a timeout.

BANJOPICKER1
12-04-2007, 09:08 PM
I dont think you can blame the season D wise on one guy,he tried to be his old self but our D stinks this year.Who knows,with a better D he might have looked like a Great pickup....(no pun intended)..:D

Astrass
12-04-2007, 09:10 PM
See ya Sam! I'm gonna miss seeing that fridge box looking guy in the middle. Well....I hope this brings about a strong change.

BaiLeY324
12-04-2007, 09:44 PM
I have no idea why we didn't keep Warren. He was NICE

broncosfanscott
12-05-2007, 03:15 AM
I have no idea why we didn't keep Warren. He was NICE

Yeah, I wonder if they would change their mind if they could go back in time.

sneakers
12-05-2007, 03:34 AM
Sam Adams = :slug:

Poet
12-05-2007, 03:54 AM
Finally... It looks like the Broncos waived him today--

This season is already a wash, so it doesn't really make a huge difference to me on whether it was today or this offseason... But it was obvious that Sam Adams has long passed his prime. He could barely get on and off the field, let alone make an impact in the trenches.

The only thing that bugs me is that we're starting guys at DL that were bagging groceries a couple weeks ago. Granted, they're probably better than Sam Adams, but it goes to show just how bad a job our talent evaluators have done at that position.

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself as far as Sam Adams goes. The guy was once a dominant defensive player, and he has his moments where he looks like he can play. When he came to Cincinnati he was going to either help shore up our craptastic defensive line or just be huge and fat and blow. The latter happened. I actually had high hopes for him in Denver simply because Denver has a way of making players who are not that great shine.

SR
12-05-2007, 04:00 AM
(no pun intended)..:D

That's ok. There wasn't really a pun there.

Peace out Adams. Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

keithbishop
12-05-2007, 05:29 AM
I wouldn't be too hard on yourself as far as Sam Adams goes. The guy was once a dominant defensive player, and he has his moments where he looks like he can play. When he came to Cincinnati he was going to either help shore up our craptastic defensive line or just be huge and fat and blow. The latter happened. I actually had high hopes for him in Denver simply because Denver has a way of making players who are not that great shine.

Perhaps it's just the end of the road for Adams after a LONG career.
Surprising move at first glance, but we may as well give PT to players who will fight for 2008 roster spots.

keithbishop
12-05-2007, 05:30 AM
I'm just glad that my adoptee is surviving the slaughter!

Rub it in.... my 2006 adoptee (Foster) was benched, then traded..... then my 2007 adoptee gets hurt. :tsk:

pnbronco
12-05-2007, 10:23 AM
Surprising move at first glance, but we may as well give PT to players who will fight for 2008 roster spots.

I thought so too KB. He could make a difference but it's just like he didn't have that much left in the tank, even in warm ups. We sit on that side. The other thing I was wondering if Shanny was using this as a warning to everyone, give me 110% or head for the door.....

BroncoAV06
12-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Although not barn burners, Mallard and KP have been solid. At the point where they know Adams won't be back so at least get Thomas the most snaps he can handle and give Mallard/KP expanded roles. Not like so many more snaps have to be made up in Adams absence.

rcsodak
12-05-2007, 05:37 PM

I'm thinking what you're thinking, kb....

Last we heard from Shanny, he said player evaluation is ONGOING. And that pertains to NEXT season as well.

Why keep Sam around when he doesn't have plans for him. This way, another team that still has hopes for the playoffs, could use him. I'm of the thought that the two sat down and thought this best for both parties.

I've noticed that when players are given short advertising spots on Sirius, they're soon gone. Kyle, then Sam. Javon and Cutler are still around though....

...for now. :D