PDA

View Full Version : Heurerman on Flacco

Northman
05-15-2019, 02:49 PM
https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Article/Jeff-Heuerman-Joe-Flacco-six-years-ahead-Denver-Broncos-offense-132056311/?fbclid=IwAR2SLr6_eN-zX0iuj6UM4AomIDPom4rMPXJwBVtM8WYu69-ELC9fvjNq7eU

Surprise, surprise: Joe Flacco (https://247sports.com/Player/Joe-Flacco-47816) is comfortable in the system specifically tailored to him.

While other Broncos players, including his fellow quarterbacks, are learning to crawl before they walk, the 34-year-old former Super Bowl champion is sprinting without a hitch.

“I wouldn’t say he’s a step ahead, he’s probably six years ahead," tight end Jeff Heuerman (https://247sports.com/Player/Jeff-Heuerman-382) noted Tuesday. "He’s been around. He’s seen a lot of football and played a lot of football. Like I was saying, his experience factor is huge for us. To have a guy calling plays that’s been around—what year is he on? Twelve? Yeah, he’s got a lot of experience on a lot of guys. That’s huge at the quarterback position. There are a lot of us that really appreciate that and it helps kind of the flow of the offense and getting everybody where they need to be and what they need to do.”
What's next for the Broncos? Do not miss any breaking news or in-depth analysis! Sign up for our FREE newsletter, and get every breaking story delivered to your inbox! (http://den.247sports.com/Distribution/signup/)

Largely by design, Denver hired an offensive coordinator (Rich Scangarello) who runs a Gary Kubiak-like offense, and acquired a signal-caller whom Kubiak himself once coached.

Thus, it's taken Flacco days (https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Article/Joe-Flacco-easily-grasping-Rich-Scangarellos-offense-A-lot-of-fun-131294835/) — not weeks — to assimilate in a process that, he said, remains ongoing.

TXBRONC
05-15-2019, 03:27 PM
https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Article/Jeff-Heuerman-Joe-Flacco-six-years-ahead-Denver-Broncos-offense-132056311/?fbclid=IwAR2SLr6_eN-zX0iuj6UM4AomIDPom4rMPXJwBVtM8WYu69-ELC9fvjNq7eU

I kind of figured Flacco would pick up on offense pretty quickly. Hopefully, Lock's picks up on the offense pretty quickly himself.

underrated29
05-15-2019, 03:55 PM
I am surprised that the guys at camp have not been raving left and right about our star in the making WR Brendan Langley. He must just be taking things slowly to start.

Northman
05-15-2019, 04:04 PM
Im suprised Rypien hasnt won the job yet by sending Flacco to the bench and putting Lock into tears pirate style.

Cugel
05-15-2019, 04:27 PM
I am surprised that the guys at camp have not been raving left and right about our star in the making WR Brendan Langley. He must just be taking things slowly to start.

He's a longshot to make the team, which Elway told him. He's way down on the depth chart right now. But, he wanted to be a WR in college, but was forced to switch to CB when his team needed defensive help. So, he has the athleticism going for him. But, he needs to run routes and prove he has the hand strength to compete at that position.

He has to prove he will make it in the NFL.

TXBRONC
05-15-2019, 04:31 PM
Im suprised Rypien hasnt won the job yet by sending Flacco to the bench and putting Lock into tears pirate style.

:lol:

BeefStew25
05-15-2019, 04:36 PM
He's a longshot to make the team, which Elway told him. He's way down on the depth chart right now. But, he wanted to be a WR in college, but was forced to switch to CB when his team needed defensive help. So, he has the athleticism going for him. But, he needs to run routes and prove he has the hand strength to compete at that position.

He is from Marietta GA. He played football at Lamar.

His 40 time was 4.43 and he was drafted in the third round.

He made his professional regular season debut during the Denver Broncos' season-opening 24–21 victory over the Los Angeles Chargers.

TXBRONC
05-15-2019, 04:40 PM

I think he was a wide receiver in college and switched to defensive back.

nevcraw
05-15-2019, 06:12 PM

Nah, not yet. my spies tell me he has one more position switch to go before he blows up. He will be playing next to Josey Jewell at ILB before the start of game 3.

HORSEPOWER 56
05-15-2019, 07:30 PM

My only question is, can he play safety?

Hawgdriver
05-15-2019, 09:13 PM
He is from Marietta GA. He played football at Lamar.

His 40 time was 4.43 and he was drafted in the third round.

He made his professional regular season debut during the Denver Broncos' season-opening 24–21 victory over the Los Angeles Chargers.

You aren't going to pass a Turing test like that, cugbot.

Cugel
05-17-2019, 08:56 AM
I think he was a wide receiver in college and switched to defensive back.

According to his interview, he wanted to play WR in college, but was switched to DB by his coaches because they had a weakness there. He was drafted as a DB, but never was that into it. He struggled at CB and finally decided to go to Elway and tell him he wanted to switch back to WR.

Elway is giving him the chance, but given the Broncos depth at WR Langley is a long shot to make it.

Right now behind Sanders and Sutton they already have DeSean Hamilton, River Cracraft, and Tim Patrick all of whom are starting out ahead of him. Plus 5 rookies. So, basically he's competing with 5 other dudes for 1 roster spot - if the Broncos keep 6 WRs (they could possibly keep 5).

So, long shot, but not at all impossible for him to make it. He has the speed and athleticism, but he's not polished at WR.

Cugel
05-17-2019, 08:59 AM
Nah, not yet. my spies tell me he has one more position switch to go before he blows up. He will be playing next to Josey Jewell at ILB before the start of game 3.

:laugh: That would be pretty funny actually. (He's listed at 6'0", 199 lbs.)

TXBRONC
05-17-2019, 10:38 AM
According to his interview, he wanted to play WR in college, but was switched to DB by his coaches because they had a weakness there. He was drafted as a DB, but never was that into it. He struggled at CB and finally decided to go to Elway and tell him he wanted to switch back to WR.

Elway is giving him the chance, but given the Broncos depth at WR Langley is a long shot to make it.

Right now behind Sanders and Sutton they already have DeSean Hamilton, River Cracraft, and Tim Patrick all of whom are starting out ahead of him. Plus 5 rookies. So, basically he's competing with 5 other dudes for 1 roster spot - if the Broncos keep 6 WRs (they could possibly keep 5).

So, long shot, but not at all impossible for him to make it. He has the speed and athleticism, but he's not polished at WR.

In others word what I just said, he started off as wide receiver and was switched in college.

BeefStew25
05-17-2019, 01:56 PM

When the Martian’s land and want to bone up on the Broncos they will keep you around.

Nomad
05-17-2019, 02:13 PM
I'm rootin' for Flacco to win games.

Jsteve01
05-17-2019, 05:02 PM
It wasn't that he wanted to move to receiver at Georgia. They asked him to. Then he moved back to corner and finished his career at Lamar. Not sure where you get some of your insider info Cuge, but google says you're wrong.

Simple Jaded
05-18-2019, 12:44 PM
Langley was recruited as a 4-star Athlete, he played both in HS, he had “limited opportunities as a pass catcher” but “excelled in zone coverage” and had “a lot of savvy and good understanding of zone concepts”.

Nobody “forced” him to do anything, (if anything he was forced to play WR at Uga) he’s playing WR because he failed at CB. And as a returner.

Simple Jaded
05-18-2019, 12:48 PM
It wasn't that he wanted to move to receiver at Georgia. They asked him to. Then he moved back to corner and finished his career at Lamar. Not sure where you get some of your insider info Cuge, but google says you're wrong.

To be fair, Langley is using this line as an excuse.

Shazam!
05-18-2019, 01:24 PM
I'm rootin' for Flacco to win games.

As any real Broncos fan would...

Simple Jaded
05-18-2019, 05:41 PM
I’ll be honest, I’ve spent the better part of this decade NOT rootin’ for a Broncos QB to win.

There, I said it ... don’t care.

TXBRONC
05-18-2019, 05:59 PM
I’ll be honest, I’ve spent the better part of this decade NOT rootin’ for a Broncos QB to win.

Ok.

Simple Jaded
05-18-2019, 06:57 PM
Ok.

I was right too, sucks to be so smart sometimes.

Shazam!
05-18-2019, 07:27 PM
Why anyone would not root for a player at least until he failed on the Field idk

Nomad
05-18-2019, 07:38 PM

LoL!

Shazam!
05-18-2019, 07:45 PM
I wasnt thrilled when Denver trotted Brian Griese out but I damn sure wanted him to play well.

Nomad
05-18-2019, 07:53 PM
As any real Broncos fan would...

With all the negative nancy's about Flacco, Rather than rooting against him, I don't understand a Bronco fan would.

Simple Jaded
05-18-2019, 11:28 PM
Why anyone would not root for a player at least until he failed on the Field idk

Rather than believing in fairytales I wanted Broncos to win every game 2-0.

Simple Jaded
05-18-2019, 11:31 PM
I believe that the defense came a hell of a lot closer to achieving my fairytale than Broncos QB’s came to achieving yours.

Northman
05-18-2019, 11:43 PM
I root for any player to succeed but when i have my doubts about certain players (especially at QB) and they fail than i want them off the field as soon as possible. Manning was really the only QB i had any strong confidence in the last decade, maybe Brock was 2nd but that quickly faded when he got his feelings hurt in the last game of the regular season our SB year. I have hope for Flacco but my hope seems to be more with Lock as i hope he can be the future at the position but until he can prove it (or any QB for that matter) than its just a wait and see. If Flacco goes out there and plays like Siemian, Keenum, or Capt Morgan than i hope we move to Lock sooner rather than later.

Cugel
05-19-2019, 01:21 AM
To be fair, Langley is using this line as an excuse.

Excuse? That's his story. He doesn't deny that he failed as a CB. He told Elway that he didn't want to play defense any more and wanted to try his hand at WR.

He was interviewed on 104.3 The Fox and that's what he said. They're giving him a shot.

What I really hate about these boards is that you are so lazy. Don't listen to Broncos radio which really has a lot of info about what is going on behind the scenes. In this case, the player gave an interview. It's all in the open.

I don't know what google said, but I do know how much to value what Google says. You do realize that the highest ranked site is not necessarily the most reliable, merely the most popular?

Jsteve01
05-19-2019, 02:03 AM
Dude the google point was a joke but just check out nfl.com on his draft profile. I read this 2 years ago during the draft. He was a cornerback they asked him to move to receiver at Georgia he did that then move back to cornerback and then transferred to Lamar. None of this is secret unheard of stuff

Simple Jaded
05-19-2019, 03:18 AM
Excuse? That's his story. He doesn't deny that he failed as a CB. He told Elway that he didn't want to play defense any more and wanted to try his hand at WR.

He was interviewed on 104.3 The Fox and that's what he said. They're giving him a shot.

What I really hate about these boards is that you are so lazy. Don't listen to Broncos radio which really has a lot of info about what is going on behind the scenes. In this case, the player gave an interview. It's all in the open.

I don't know what google said, but I do know how much to value what Google says. You do realize that the highest ranked site is not necessarily the most reliable, merely the most popular?

*The Fan

Don’t lecture me on recruiting.

And Lazy? I knew who Langley was 7-8 years ago, I was the only one that liked the pick.

What I hate about these boards is you are so pretentious.

Btw, I listen to Altitude because they talk about something other than the Broncos ... there isn’t a Broncos angle that sports talk radio can cover that we don’t hit on around here regularly. Dmac should read this MB to get an original take or two.

Poet
05-19-2019, 05:41 PM
Flacco is tearing this message board apart!

Nomad
05-19-2019, 05:54 PM
Flacco is tearing this message board apart!

Only certain posters here are letting that happen.

Shazam!
05-19-2019, 05:56 PM
This is nothing compared to the bench Plummer, Trade Cutler, Start Tebow, trade Tebow...

TXBRONC
05-20-2019, 06:50 AM
I was right too, sucks to be so smart sometimes.

:lol:

Poet
05-20-2019, 01:13 PM
Only certain posters here are letting that happen.

Joe Flacco is murdering this team and we will need decades to recover!

Nomad
05-20-2019, 01:13 PM
Joe Flacco is murdering this team and we will need decades to recover!

I see what you did there.

Poet
05-20-2019, 01:15 PM
I see what you did there.

Outlandish Style!

We're having a good time, Nomad!

Freyaka
05-23-2019, 11:23 AM
*The Fan

Don’t lecture me on recruiting.

And Lazy? I knew who Langley was 7-8 years ago, I was the only one that liked the pick.

What I hate about these boards is you are so pretentious.

Btw, I listen to Altitude because they talk about something other than the Broncos ... there isn’t a Broncos angle that sports talk radio can cover that we don’t hit on around here regularly. Dmac should read this MB to get an original take or two.

I'm still holding firm on my Cugle is Dmac theory, or Cmac if you will.

Simple Jaded
05-25-2019, 05:28 AM
I'm still holding firm on my Cugle is Dmac theory, or Cmac if you will.

I like this theory, I shall try to remember to call Cug by his new name.

Cugel
05-28-2019, 04:33 PM
I like this theory, I shall try to remember to call Cug by his new name.

Cugel
05-28-2019, 04:56 PM
Seth Joyner: Team that has declined the most this off-season: "Denver Broncos. The Broncos lost three offensive line starters and two of their top three cornerbacks to free agency, but their biggest downgrade came from signing 34-year old Joe Flacco as starting quarterback. Flacco ranked 26th in Total QBR on vertical passes last season and could be a huge drop-off from the solid vertical passing numbers Case Keenum posted in Denver last season."

For some reason the national press has the delusion that Flacco is actually worse than Keesum. Joyner cannot possibly have watched Keesum play if he thinks that of course. "Huge drop off from the solid vertical passing numbers Case Keenum posted" --- that might be the funniest take on the Broncos off-season I've heard yet.

"Two of their top 3 CBs" -- well it looks like the Broncos will re-negotiate Chris Harris for this season, so that part is not true. It's unfortunate that Elway refuses to offer Harris a long term deal but that will have zero impact this season.

As for losing Bradley Roby, he played out his contract, including the fifth year option, but he wasn't very good when promoted to the #2 CB last year. The Broncos signed Callahan and Kareem Jackson, which more than made up for the loss of Roby, who had to sign a 1 year, "prove it" deal with the Texans for $9.5m.

The Texans have no commitment to him after the 2019 season. Nobody thinks losing Bradley Roby will negatively impact the Broncos except the sporting press for some insane reason.

Shazam!
05-28-2019, 05:48 PM
Seth Joyner: Team that has declined the most this off-season: "Denver Broncos. The Broncos lost three offensive line starters and two of their top three cornerbacks to free agency, but their biggest downgrade came from signing 34-year old Joe Flacco as starting quarterback. Flacco ranked 26th in Total QBR on vertical passes last season and could be a huge drop-off from the solid vertical passing numbers Case Keenum posted in Denver last season."

For some reason the national press has the delusion that Flacco is actually worse than Keesum. Joyner cannot possibly have watched Keesum play if he thinks that of course. "Huge drop off from the solid vertical passing numbers Case Keenum posted" --- that might be the funniest take on the Broncos off-season I've heard yet.

"Two of their top 3 CBs" -- well it looks like the Broncos will re-negotiate Chris Harris for this season, so that part is not true. It's unfortunate that Elway refuses to offer Harris a long term deal but that will have zero impact this season.

As for losing Bradley Roby, he played out his contract, including the fifth year option, but he wasn't very good when promoted to the #2 CB last year. The Broncos signed Callahan and Kareem Jackson, which more than made up for the loss of Roby, who had to sign a 1 year, "prove it" deal with the Texans for $9.5m.

The Texans have no commitment to him after the 2019 season. Nobody thinks losing Bradley Roby will negatively impact the Broncos except the sporting press for some insane reason.

Are these the same analysts that think Sam Darnold and the NYJ are going to win the AFC?

Its like don't even play a game because the Jets are gonna win it all and Darnold is a HoFer. Don't even play a game.

Yeah ok!

I love that everyone is looking past Denver.

Cugel
05-28-2019, 11:27 PM
Are these the same analysts that think Sam Darnold and the NYJ are going to win the AFC?

Its like don't even play a game because the Jets are gonna win it all and Darnold is a HoFer. Don't even play a game.

Yeah ok!

I love that everyone is looking past Denver.

Probably. Like some analysts who are calling the 2018 draft class "the Hall of Fame Five". I don't think they are kidding.

Darnold is already in the Hall of Fame you see. Hasn't done anything whatever in the NFL but he's clearly headed for Canton. Or something. :coffee:

Josh Rosen is also apparently headed for inevitable stardom despite bombing his first year and being traded for a snickerdoodle. Lamar Jackson is also an inevitable star, even though he throws like Tebow on a 3-day bender.

nevcraw
05-29-2019, 01:05 PM

Smh @ Joyner -Talk about Lazy... how much more could a 6-11 team decline? Lol.

Cugel
05-29-2019, 01:38 PM

But they "lost 3 starters off their OL." Never mind that, other than Paradis, they richly deserved to be replaced. Unless people think that Jared Veldheer and Billy Turner were "der awesome." And Paradis is coming off 3 major surgeries in 2 years. Nobody in the NFL was willing to give him a long term deal for that reason. Instead he's got a 1 year deal for under $10m, which is a steal if he's completely healthy. But, is he going to be completely healthy? That's the risk. Elway was unwilling to give Paradis top $ for that very reason, and given the injury history that made sense.

Shazam!
05-29-2019, 03:41 PM

But they "lost 3 starters off their OL." Never mind that, other than Paradis, they richly deserved to be replaced. Unless people think that Jared Veldheer and Billy Turner were "der awesome." And Paradis is coming off 3 major surgeries in 2 years. Nobody in the NFL was willing to give him a long term deal for that reason. Instead he's got a 1 year deal for under $10m, which is a steal if he's completely healthy. But, is he going to be completely healthy? That's the risk. Elway was unwilling to give Paradis top $ for that very reason, and given the injury history that made sense.

Denver could trot out 5 Undrafted FAs for starters in 2019 and have as good a season as the last two they were ao mediocre. Puhleeze.

Simple Jaded
05-30-2019, 12:54 AM

$10 M for any C is not a “steal”.

Cugel
06-02-2019, 05:54 AM
$10 M for any C is not a “steal”.

If he was completely healthy, it is a steal for one of the top centers in the NFL, which Paradis is. Elway said the reason they decided not to re-sign him to a long term deal was "injury concerns". He's had 3 surgeries in 2 years, and while he claims to be coming along and will be ready to play next season, big linemen hitting 30 with significant health concerns normally do not get more healthy as they get older.

So, how long of a deal will teams want to give them? Although Andrew Whitworth will be 38 this season and he's still playing LT for the Rams. So, an older OL isn't always a problem. But, when they start having health concerns it is a problem.

Ten million a year for Paradis isn't a problem, but bad hips or legs is.

Shazam!
06-02-2019, 06:11 AM
Paradis and C is probably one of the easier OL positions to Draft for. Far easier than Ts

Cugel
06-02-2019, 10:19 AM
Paradis and C is probably one of the easier OL positions to Draft for. Far easier than Ts

Except that they didn't draft a C this year. They're using Connor McGovern who isn't great. And drafting a rookie next year would mean he might be any good in 2021 or later.

Shazam!
06-02-2019, 10:28 AM

Except that they didn't draft a C this year. They're using Connor McGovern who isn't great. And drafting a rookie next year would mean he might be any good in 2021 or later.

Center is easier to fill via Draft or FA than G or T im just saying. Its a position that is very mental, and you can overcome some physical or athletic deficiency if youre smart. Ts especially are way better athletes than interior lineman. Same on Defense.

Bolles is the best example of this. Exceptional athlete, he just hasnt grasped the mental ticks yet.

Cugel
06-02-2019, 02:31 PM
Center is easier to fill via Draft or FA than G or T im just saying. Its a position that is very mental, and you can overcome some physical or athletic deficiency if youre smart. Ts especially are way better athletes than interior lineman. Same on Defense.

Bolles is the best example of this. Exceptional athlete, he just hasnt grasped the mental ticks yet.

Hello! It doesn't matter if it's "easier" to do something if you DON'T do it!

The Broncos did not draft a C. They are going with McGovern.

The earliest they could draft a C is in 2020. That's not going to help them THIS year when they did NOT draft a C!

Shazam!
06-02-2019, 03:23 PM

Hello! It doesn't matter if it's "easier" to do something if you DON'T do it!

The Broncos did not draft a C. They are going with McGovern.

The earliest they could draft a C is in 2020. That's not going to help them THIS year when they did NOT draft a C!

Risner could play C too his versatility was a huge draw. Just sayin nthing is carved in stone.

Simple Jaded
06-03-2019, 12:22 AM
Paradis is a dime-o-dozen stiff, Bye Felicia.

If McGovern fails just replace him too, it’s not hard.

Watch Sam Speedbump Jones come in a earn the starting job and I will rest my case.

TXBRONC
06-04-2019, 09:24 AM

Yes, they drafted a guy who can play three different positions offensive line including center. McGovern was also thrown into playing center more than half-way through the season. That aside he played well given the circumstances. If he had been there from day one of camp I think he would have been fine. This year he will be at center from day one and will see if the criticism has any real legitimacy.