PDA

View Full Version : Today is the 20th anniversary of John Elway's retirement from the NFL ...

Denver Native (Carol)
05-02-2019, 09:47 PM
John Elway's Emotional Retirement Press Conference | NFL Throwback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggnbPgOXiqg&feature=youtu.be

OrangeHoof
05-03-2019, 12:46 AM
I had tears watching it live. I thought he could have lasted a few more years but I admired him "going out on top". It's tough watching heroes grow old. One thing that is true about Elway. He's not afraid to be the flashpoint for criticism. He could have blended into the limelight or been some yammering tv commentator like most NFL mega-stars but, instead, he learned how to run a football team then came back to lead the Broncos to two Super Bowls as an executive. Heck, there are NFL executives who have been at this for decades and never gone to a Super Bowl.

Thanks, Number 7.

I'm always reminded of when Shanahan drafted Tatum Bell as a running back and when he was asked if he had any special contract demands, he said his only one was to wear the same number he had in college. Then someone in the media replied he wouldn't be wearing number 7 as a Bronco. "That's been retired."

Shazam!
05-03-2019, 01:04 PM
I have so many great memories of the Elway era I wouldnt even know where i could begin. I never thought I would see a Broncos team as good as the 97x98 Broncos or see another great QB ever start for Denver. Im glad I was wrong.

Whats interesting is it took Elway AGAIN to bring the Broncos to greatness. Who would have imagined hed earn more title rings with the Denver Broncos?

BroncoJoe
05-03-2019, 01:58 PM
I was always a Broncos fan - growing up in Colorado and living here most of my life. But, during their heyday, I absolutely loved the Vikings when Fran Tarkenton was the QB (one of my all time favorites), along with Sammy White, Ahmad Rashad (aka Bobby Moore), Chuck Foreman, Alan Page, Carl Eller & the rest of the Purple People Eaters.

I'll never forget the day when news broke that the Broncos traded for Elway. It was like getting Tarkenton on steroids. While I always loved the Broncos, that single move to obtain Elway brought me to the alter for a lifelong marriage.

Poet
05-03-2019, 06:48 PM
I was always a Broncos fan - growing up in Colorado and living here most of my life. But, during their heyday, I absolutely loved the Vikings when Fran Tarkenton was the QB (one of my all time favorites), along with Sammy White, Ahmad Rashad (aka Bobby Moore), Chuck Foreman, Alan Page, Carl Eller & the rest of the Purple People Eaters.

I'll never forget the day when news broke that the Broncos traded for Elway. It was like getting Tarkenton on steroids. While I always loved the Broncos, that single move to obtain Elway brought me to the alter for a lifelong marriage.

A couple things:

Alan Page is a hero of mine for a variety of reasons.

Elway won the MVP the year I was born.

I didn't know Elway married you and your wife.

Simple Jaded
05-03-2019, 10:57 PM
Good riddance.

BroncoJoe
05-04-2019, 06:52 AM
A couple things:

Alan Page is a hero of mine for a variety of reasons.

Elway won the MVP the year I was born.

I didn't know Elway married you and your wife.

Well, we did get engaged in 1998. The place I bought her ring at had a deal going that if the Broncos won the Superbowl, you got store credit for anything you purchased. So, while Elway didn't marry us, he did, in essence, pay for my wedding ring, diamond earrings and necklace for the wife, along with matching Movado watches... :)

Shazam!
05-04-2019, 07:55 AM
...And matching Movados!? Who would believe

Poet
05-04-2019, 09:58 AM
Well, we did get engaged in 1998. The place I bought her ring at had a deal going that if the Broncos won the Superbowl, you got store credit for anything you purchased. So, while Elway didn't marry us, he did, in essence, pay for my wedding ring, diamond earrings and necklace for the wife, along with matching Movado watches... :)

Damn...I gave a young woman my onion rings once. Pretty much the same thing!

TXBRONC
05-04-2019, 12:52 PM
Damn...I gave a young woman my onion rings once. Pretty much the same thing!

Not really, but that's ok.

Poet
05-04-2019, 01:14 PM
Not really, but that's ok.

You clearly underestimate my love of Onion Rings

TXBRONC
05-04-2019, 01:23 PM
You clearly underestimate my love of Onion Rings

Not at all, offering onion rings to a young lady is isn't the same as proposing no matter how much you like onion rings.

sneakers
05-06-2019, 09:52 AM
I have this on a vhs tape I recorded back in the day lol

slim
05-06-2019, 12:21 PM
This thread makes me feel old.