PDA

View Full Version : ‘I’ve got to prove myself again’: After one last honor for rookie season, Phillip Lindsay ready to move on

Denver Native (Carol)
04-03-2019, 10:34 PM
DENVER — Sorry, mom. Sorry, dad. Phillip Lindsay is moving out.

No longer an unheralded running back at the bottom of the depth chart, Lindsay is making some changes. He got a new car — a sports car befitting a speedy player like himself — and a new car for his mother. And, yes, after spending his rookie season living with his parents in his childhood home, Lindsay is searching for a place of his own.

Things are very different for Phillip Lindsay now, as compared to a year ago, and it was hard to shake that thought as he arrived at the Hilton Denver City Center hotel on Wednesday night with an ESPN camera crew in tow for the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame’s 55th annual hall of fame induction and awards banquet. Amid stiff competition from other local sports stars that include the Rockies’ Kyle Freeland and Nolan Arenado, the Nuggets’ Nikola Jokic and the Avalanche’s Nathan MacKinnon, Lindsay earned the Hall’s Professional Athlete of the Year award.

rest - https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/i-ve-got-to-prove-myself-again-after-one-last-honor-for-rookie-season-phillip-li

Denver Native (Carol)
04-03-2019, 10:36 PM
Phillip Lindsay rode down an escalator toward a hotel ballroom wearing a custom designer suit, checkered white and gray with teal accents, plus two gold chains that swayed beneath his trademark brown Afro. An ESPN camera crew followed his every move. He couldn’t stop smiling.

Lindsay prepared for an uncertain football future around this time last spring as the fifth running back on the Broncos’ depth chart. Wednesday night, he strolled into the Hilton Denver City Center to accept the 2018 professional athlete of the year award given by the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame. From undrafted CU Buffs legend, to NFL starter, and to 1,000-yard rusher, Lindsay’s meteoric rise vaulted him to a new level of celebrity.

“I just keep going with the flow of things,” he said. “Sometimes I think back and say, ‘Dang, this is surreal.’ ”

rest - https://www.denverpost.com/2019/04/03/phillip-lindsay-broncos-wrist-colorado-sports-hall-of-fame/

Simple Jaded
04-11-2019, 05:41 PM
If he’s the starter he’s got to prove he’s not an injury waiting to happen.

BroncoJoe
04-12-2019, 06:50 AM
If he’s the starter he’s got to prove he’s not an injury waiting to happen.

He made it through 15 games last season. I don't recall him being constantly injured in college either.

CoachChaz
04-12-2019, 08:56 AM
He made it through 15 games last season. I don't recall him being constantly injured in college either.

Yeah, but "little guys" in the NFL inevitably succumb to injuries. There are a few that are able to avoid it though, so let's hope he turns out to be one of them after his wrist is healed. Worst case, if he ends up being a Darren Sproles in the long run, I'd be happy.

TXBRONC
04-12-2019, 09:11 AM
I read somewhere recently in passing a suggestion that Denver should try make Freeman bigger part of the offense.

CoachChaz
04-12-2019, 09:38 AM
I read somewhere recently in passing a suggestion that Denver should try make Freeman bigger part of the offense.

I think that was the plan all along, but minor injuries kind of derailed them from running him more than they did.

Ground Control
04-13-2019, 08:00 AM

I read the article and it was just some guy stating the obvious. If Lindsay is injured at the beginning of the season, Freeman will get more carries. I still like the idea of Freeman being and equal workhorse to Lindsay. And both of them getting plenty of catches. Because, NFL offense that is not Musgrave or VJ and all.

I have no clue what Scangarello has to offer but it has to be better than what we saw the last two years. Freeman and Lindsay will both benefit, methinks.

Jsteve01
04-13-2019, 08:08 AM
I read the article and it was just some guy stating the obvious. If Lindsay is injured at the beginning of the season, Freeman will get more carries. I still like the idea of Freeman being and equal workhorse to Lindsay. And both of them getting plenty of catches. Because, NFL offense that is not Musgrave or VJ and all.

I have no clue what Scangarello has to offer but it has to be better than what we saw the last two years. Freeman and Lindsay will both benefit, methinks.

If Lindsay wants to have a long career, he needs to transition to more of a Sproles roll. A perfect world scenario for this team is Royce Freeman being the guy that we saw early in the season and during preseason last year, and Lindsay still getting a good number of touches I'm saying 15 to 18 touches a game but more creatively. I know he runs pretty well on the interior, but seriously the shortsightedness to go you know what he's 180 lb. Just because he didn't get hurt last year means we can continue to run in 20 or 25 times up the gutter game is ridiculous. Guys that size from a physical standpoint can't hold up to that kind of abuse long-term plus all those dings start to deteriorate the things that make him special which is short area quickness and Burst. When you're getting beat up by 320 lb defensive lineman repeatedly it's going to have a little bit of impact on your explosiveness.

Northman
04-13-2019, 08:21 AM
Definitely pulling for the kid, he's a good story and a lot of fun to watch.

Ground Control
04-13-2019, 08:34 AM
If Lindsay wants to have a long career, he needs to transition to more of a Sproles roll. A perfect world scenario for this team is Royce Freeman being the guy that we saw early in the season and during preseason last year, and Lindsay still getting a good number of touches I'm saying 15 to 18 touches a game but more creatively. I know he runs pretty well on the interior, but seriously the shortsightedness to go you know what he's 180 lb. Just because he didn't get hurt last year means we can continue to run in 20 or 25 times up the gutter game is ridiculous. Guys that size from a physical standpoint can't hold up to that kind of abuse long-term plus all those dings start to deteriorate the things that make him special which is short area quickness and Burst. When you're getting beat up by 320 lb defensive lineman repeatedly it's going to have a little bit of impact on your explosiveness.

Love this. My only counter is that he's been dealing with these things his entire career. Pro NFL defenses are different but don't all running backs get hammered in the NFL? All sizes of running backs get de-commissioned. Lindsay seems to have a knack for sliding off hits but you may be right. Eventually, there will be a reckoning. But will Freeman survive longer than Lindsay? I saw a huge difference between how Freeman dealt with those massive dline players and how Lindsay did. I'm probably wrong but it will be an interesting comparison next year for sure.

Jsteve01
04-13-2019, 08:39 AM
Love this. My only counter is that he's been dealing with these things his entire career. Pro NFL defenses are different but don't all running backs get hammered in the NFL? All sizes of running backs get de-commissioned. Lindsay seems to have a knack for sliding off hits but you may be right. Eventually, there will be a reckoning. But will Freeman survive longer than Lindsay? I saw a huge difference between how Freeman dealt with those massive dline players and how Lindsay did. I'm probably wrong but it will be an interesting comparison next year for sure.

If not freeman someone. I love lindsay and i want a looooong career for him. He is 20 lbs lighter than jamaal charles but i hear the same arguments for lindsay at 25 touces a game as i did for charles. If kc had been more conservative with his interior touches i think Charles could still be playing at a very high level

Northman
04-13-2019, 08:42 AM
I would like to see Denver pick up Bryce Love late in the draft. Love and Freeman taking the workload as far as ground and pound and let Lindsey do his thing aka like Sproles or Bush.

Jsteve01
04-13-2019, 08:49 AM
I would like to see Denver pick up Bryce Love late in the draft. Love and Freeman taking the workload as far as ground and pound and let Lindsey do his thing aka like Sproles or Bush.

I love Bryce. But i wonder how early we need to pick him. He is so good and such a good guy that someone may take him relatively early

Northman
04-13-2019, 09:07 AM
I love Bryce. But i wonder how early we need to pick him. He is so good and such a good guy that someone may take him relatively early

Considering he has been projected anywhere from round 4-6 i could easily see someone snagging him as a steal.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-20-2019, 05:55 PM
Denver Broncos RB Phillip Lindsay reflects on his path from being an undrafted rookie to making the Pro Bowl while living in his parents' basement.

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1119607531788296192

Nomad
04-20-2019, 07:23 PM
A humble kid. I'm definitely hoping he's great again this year. I know he's TD's favorite Bronco.

Devilspawn
04-20-2019, 07:37 PM
From a rival's perspective, this guy is the real deal. The Bronco I fear the most by far.