PDA

View Full Version : Chris Harris: Pay me or trade me

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

DenBronx
04-02-2019, 12:41 PM
Doesn’t look good. I wish we would pay him sooner than later. He’s one of the leagues best CBs.

Elway said he wanted to wait until after the draft.

Apparently this isn’t sitting well with Harris. From Chris Harris side: “Pay him or trade him” and he didn’t show for the first day of the offseason program.

Sooo...did the Broncos see into the future? Is this why they signed these other two DBs? Insurance in case a deal can’t get done?

What could we realistically get for him in a trade? Harris is one of my favorite Broncos but good teams sell high. Could we use the extra draft picks?

CoachChaz
04-02-2019, 01:02 PM
Well...we'd certainly need the extra picks to acquire more DB talent. Problem we have now is we have 3 guys who are all short CB's and all best suited for the slot. Yes, Harris and Jackson can play outside, but Callahan is pretty much locked into the slot. So, if we draft a replacement, we are left with Yiadom and a rookie outside.

On the flipside...Harris will be 30 years old and coming off of a leg fracture, so...how long of a deal does he want? And will he be worth that kind of money at age 32? 33? I get that he's probably been underpaid the last few years, but that is more on his agent than on Denver. If it comes down to trading him or paying him 13-14 mil for more than 2 years or trading him...I'm going with the trade route.

Shazam!
04-02-2019, 01:23 PM
When they brought in two CBs i knew this would be an issue.

John, plz fix this.

SR
04-02-2019, 01:55 PM
Stupid.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-02-2019, 02:02 PM
So far, I have not been able to find anything where Chris said pay me or trade me.

Northman
04-02-2019, 02:03 PM
Kind of dumb by Denver here, if you are planning on winning now (Flacco) than pay Chris because we are going to need all the help we can get with any kind of vet presence. If we were looking to reload and rebuild we should have passed on Flacco. For the life of me i dont know what John and company are thinking here. Hope they get it worked out.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-02-2019, 02:17 PM
Chris Harris Jr. can now pull eight figures in 2018.

As first reported by ESPN's Field Yates, the Denver Broncos tacked on $3 million in incentives to the star cornerback's contract. Harris, whose base salary for the upcoming season is $8.5 million, will have the chance to make up to $11.5 million if he earns first- or second-team All-Pro honors. The incentives are also tied to team wins.

If this seems like a rare move ... well, that's because it is. Mike Klis of 9News called it "unprecedented" under general manager John Elway, while The Athletic's Nicki Jhabvala was told it’s “a special circumstance for a special player."

rest - https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Bolt/Report-Broncos-add-3-million-in-incentives-to-Chris-Harris-Jrs-deal-117455796/

Looks like they have treated Chris Harris well

NightTrainLayne
04-02-2019, 02:21 PM
So far, I have not been able to find anything where Chris said pay me or trade me.

All I see is that his agent/representation basically said this.

So an athlete's agent is attempting to apply leverage for a big new contract. And the sky is blue. What else is new?

Timmy!
04-02-2019, 02:25 PM
There is nothing on his Twitter about this. He did not say this. His agent is simply doing his job. This thread is fake news. Ha.

dogfish
04-02-2019, 03:18 PM
get it done, john. . . we need chris around, and he's done enough to earn it. . . go have another strong draft, add a stack of cost-controlled young talent to what you got last year, and try to open a window while we have those guys on rookie deals-- you need a handful of high end vets along with them, and that starts with von and chris. . .

:defense:

DenBronx
04-02-2019, 03:38 PM
And if we don’t? What kind of draft capital could we get in return?

Elevation inc
04-03-2019, 06:15 AM

That's because he didn't. Nicki insinuated his stance by him not showing to voluntary workouts on day 1 of off-season program. Nothing has come from him at this point. He is under contract, and Elway wanted the draft to play out.....before talking extension....seems to me the DP is just bored.....

MasterShake
04-03-2019, 07:42 AM
That's because he didn't. Nicki insinuated his stance by him not showing to voluntary workouts on day 1 of off-season program. Nothing has come from him at this point. He is under contract, and Elway wanted the draft to play out.....before talking extension....seems to me the DP is just bored.....

Exactly. Chris missing a voluntary workout at a veteran may mean something or it may not. And the Broncos doing due-diligence by waiting until after the draft to worry about any existing contracts is a smart move by them. Both the Broncos and Chris Harris are well within their rights to look out for their own best interests. If this bleeds into training camp then it will be an issue, but I bet it's resolved either way before that.

Davii
04-03-2019, 08:15 AM
Exactly. Chris missing a voluntary workout at a veteran may mean something or it may not. And the Broncos doing due-diligence by waiting until after the draft to worry about any existing contracts is a smart move by them. Both the Broncos and Chris Harris are well within their rights to look out for their own best interests. If this bleeds into training camp then it will be an issue, but I bet it's resolved either way before that.

Chris is a pro. He will look out for his best interests which I would expect anyone to do, but I have no doubts he will also meet all obligations.

I'm sure a deal will get done, John wants Chris and Chris wants to play in Denver.

Neither the Broncos nor Chris made this story happen, but it's the offseason and something has to be printed.

SR
04-03-2019, 08:52 AM

I still don't respect Harris's stance. These guys holding out or not showing up for voluntary workouts is a poor decision IMO. If I'm a GM, guys showing up, being leaders, and setting the example is what gets you paid. Want to get paid? Come to work and show these young kids what it means to be a professional.

BeefStew25
04-03-2019, 08:56 AM
I still don't respect Harris's stance. These guys holding out or not showing up for voluntary workouts is a poor decision IMO. If I'm a GM, guys showing up, being leaders, and setting the example is what gets you paid. Want to get paid? Come to work and show these young kids what it means to be a professional.

Everyone in the locker room understands the business side. And they want 25 paid. This is a giant nothing burger.

SR
04-03-2019, 09:04 AM
Everyone in the locker room understands the business side. And they want 25 paid. This is a giant nothing burger.

I'm not saying I don't understand that aspect, but I am saying I disagree with it.

BeefStew25
04-03-2019, 09:05 AM
I'm not saying I don't understand that aspect, but I am saying I disagree with it.

It’s a dance. When the management steps up he will step up.

BroncoWave
04-03-2019, 09:06 AM

That all sounds nice in theory, but when a player has leverage he's going to use it, as would any of us if it benefited us professionally.

BeefStew25
04-03-2019, 09:11 AM
That all sounds nice in theory, but when a player has leverage he's going to use it, as would any of us if it benefited us professionally.

Especially when your employer has you on a non guaranteed contract.

BroncoWave
04-03-2019, 09:15 AM

And even more especially when he took a big discount to stay there on his last deal.

Mike
04-03-2019, 09:17 AM

And when you signed a team-friendly deal, played well about that salary, and are still one of the top CBs in the league. Would be more concerned if it was a direct quote. But I like Harris and think Denver should do him right.

BeefStew25
04-03-2019, 09:32 AM
And even more especially when he took a big discount to stay there on his last deal.

Eh he didn’t have a gun to his head. But yes he’s out performed that. And you must pay your performers.

I just don’t want to get into a situation where we emo pay guys on the backside.

Mike
04-03-2019, 09:35 AM
Eh he didn’t have a gun to his head. But yes he’s out performed that. And you must pay your performers.

I just don’t want to get into a situation where we emo pay guys on the backside.

You mean like a guy who hasn't consistently produced and has been on the IR more than he has been on the field?

BeefStew25
04-03-2019, 09:39 AM
You mean like a guy who hasn't consistently produced and has been on the IR more than he has been on the field?

More like a big contract on the wrong side of thirty.

BroncoWave
04-03-2019, 10:00 AM

Agreed. Definitely shouldn't overpay older guys, but I do think CHJ looking for a raise is fair. He's still playing as well as ever.

DenBronx
04-03-2019, 10:27 AM
They are saying this is a deep draft for cornerbacks. Specifically the top 6 and that there isn’t much difference between them all. We could realistically get a premier CB in round 2.

Might be the time to trade CHJ. Sell while the market is high. I know this opinion won’t be popular but this could primarily be the reason why Elway said wait until after the draft. CHJ seems to know this and is panicking a bit.

CoachChaz
04-03-2019, 10:33 AM
Agreed. Definitely shouldn't overpay older guys, but I do think CHJ looking for a raise is fair. He's still playing as well as ever.

But for how much longer? I'm on board giving him the money for the first 2 years, but if he's looking for a deal that pays any significant guaranteed money after 32, then I have to stop and think about it. Sorry, but I'm not paying you at 33 to make up for what you agreed to play for at 27.

BroncoWave
04-03-2019, 10:38 AM
But for how much longer? I'm on board giving him the money for the first 2 years, but if he's looking for a deal that pays any significant guaranteed money after 32, then I have to stop and think about it. Sorry, but I'm not paying you at 33 to make up for what you agreed to play for at 27.

I haven't seen any suggestion that that's what he's asking for.

Davii
04-03-2019, 11:12 AM
They are saying this is a deep draft for cornerbacks. Specifically the top 6 and that there isn’t much difference between them all. We could realistically get a premier CB in round 2.

Might be the time to trade CHJ. Sell while the market is high. I know this opinion won’t be popular but this could primarily be the reason why Elway said wait until after the draft. CHJ seems to know this and is panicking a bit.

How is he panicking? By not showing up to a voluntary workout?

He is getting paid, whether it's Denver or not, he's going to make the money his play has set him up for.

He has no reason to panic and I'm certain he isn't doing so.

DenBronx
04-03-2019, 11:16 AM
How is he panicking? By not showing up to a voluntary workout?

He is getting paid, whether it's Denver or not, he's going to make the money his play has set him up for.

He has no reason to panic and I'm certain he isn't doing so.

By suggesting he is unhappy with his current pay grade after Elway has already spoke on it. If he feels that confident then maybe he should just trust the process.

BroncoWave
04-03-2019, 11:17 AM
Miller did the same thing a couple of years ago. This is less than a non story.

CoachChaz
04-03-2019, 11:27 AM
I haven't seen any suggestion that that's what he's asking for.

Fair...but I'm going to assume he's going to want the going rate for elite CB's since this will be his last contract.

Cugel
04-03-2019, 11:36 AM
Stupid.

Especially stupid in that Elway is trying to "win now."

Logic says that the Broncos are sitting in a division with the Chefs who have Mahomes, the Chargers who have Phillip Rivers and the Raiders who have Derek Carr and a boat-load of draft picks in the first and second round, this year and next.

The Broncos meanwhile have Joe Flacco, whose last good season was in 2014.

Logic says that there is NOBODY they can draft or acquire who can replace Harris, any more than they managed to replace Aqib Talib with Bradley Roby. That didn't work out and this wouldn't either.

IF John Elway is really serious about making a playoff push sometime in the next 3 years they NEED Chris Harris. Period.

If he wants to rebuild and start over with a newer younger roster, then fine. Draft a CB at #10 and go with the roster he has. But, they just paid a boatload of money to a couple of DBs who are unworthy to lace Harris' shoes! That's NOT a replacement!

But,don't try and pretend that his injury is going to affect him. That's just B.S.
Dude played in the pro-bowl. He's not hampered by injury.

So, it comes down to Elway either getting a deal done that pays Harris what he's worth, or else . . . .

Davii
04-03-2019, 11:41 AM
By suggesting he is unhappy with his current pay grade after Elway has already spoke on it. If he feels that confident then maybe he should just trust the process.

I don't see that as panicking.

Davii
04-03-2019, 11:43 AM
Fair...but I'm going to assume he's going to want the going rate for elite CB's since this will be his last contract.

Would that be unfair of him to want that?

Timmy!
04-03-2019, 11:50 AM
This thread is full of lulz.

DenBronx
04-03-2019, 11:52 AM
Could the Broncos, Chris Harris Jr contract situation end up in a trade?

The Denver Broncos opened up its offseason program on Tuesday without the presence of one if it’s top defensive players and leaders in the locker room: cornerback Chris Harris Jr.

Harris reportedly opted to skip the first day of team workouts to send a message about wanting a contract extension from the club.

But should things between Harris and the Broncos come to an impasse, could Denver opt to ship the All-Pro cornerback out of town?

“He’s got one year left on his deal. Extend me or trade me. I think that’s the message being sent,” said “Stokley and Zach” co-host Brandon Stokley on Tuesday. “And I think the Broncos are going to have to do one of those two things.”

Stokley said the Broncos aren’t likely to let the situation play out into training camp or the regular season, that they’re “not going to just call his bluff.”

“So, they’re either going to have to extend him or they’re going to have to trade him. And if they do trade him, guess what? The team that trades for him is going to extend him,” Stokley said.

“Schlereth and Evans” co-host Mark Schlereth pointed toward the recent Antonio Brown-Pittsburgh Steelers saga as an example of how the situation between the Broncos and Harris could play out.

http://1043thefan.com/2080808/broncos-chris-harris-jr-trade/

DenBronx
04-03-2019, 11:58 AM
This thread is full of lulz.

Not really. It’s a big enough story to be a major topic on sports radio 104.3 The Fan, for Nicki Javala to talk about it, for Von Miller to speak on it during his press conference.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-03-2019, 12:02 PM
rest - https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/bolt/report-broncos-add-3-million-in-incentives-to-chris-harris-jrs-deal-117455796/

looks like they have treated chris harris well

bump

BeefStew25
04-03-2019, 12:04 PM
I wonder if Marquette King will ever punt again.

Timmy!
04-03-2019, 12:47 PM
Not really. It’s a big enough story to be a major topic on sports radio 104.3 The Fan, for Nicki Javala to talk about it, for Von Miller to speak on it during his press conference.

You mean the local media is running with the only thing that's remotely a story before the draft because, well, they have to talk about something? Amazing. That doesn't make it any less of a giant lulz nothing burger.

Freyaka
04-03-2019, 02:00 PM

Well, she's just trying to show 1043 she's ready to be in their ranks. Obviously it worked, she's now one of them lol.

CoachChaz
04-03-2019, 02:05 PM
Would that be unfair of him to want that?

Not as long as he is still elite. When looking at this deal, Elway has to forget the past and look at the now and the future. It doesn't matter what he was paid before. The only thing that matters is what his value is today and in future years. So, I think it's fine to pay him elite money for the next 2-3 years...but anything longer than that cannot be guaranteed.

TXBRONC
04-03-2019, 02:21 PM
I wonder if Marquette King will ever punt again.

Beef thanks for making this thread real again.

BeefStew25
04-03-2019, 02:44 PM
Beef thanks for making this thread real again.

I mean if we are going to chat let’s chat even dumber

Simple Jaded
04-03-2019, 09:29 PM
rest - https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Bolt/Report-Broncos-add-3-million-in-incentives-to-Chris-Harris-Jrs-deal-117455796/

Looks like they have treated Chris Harris well

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned but this was last off-season.

Cugel
04-04-2019, 11:23 AM
Harris is massively underpaid, as well, with his annual salary ranking 23rd among corners. He signed a five-year, $42.5 million extension in 2014, a deal that's dwarfed by the likes of Josh Norman ($75 million), Trumaine Johnson ($72.5 million) and Desmond Trufant ($68.75 million) -- all inferior players to Harris.

Kareem Jackson signed a 3 year, $33,000,000 contract with the Denver Broncos, including $23,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $11,000,000. In 2019, Jackson will earn a base salary of $3,000,000 and a signing bonus of $9,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $6,000,000 and a dead cap value of $23,000,000.

Denver just gave Kareem Jackson a LOT more money than Chris Harris, and he's nowhere near as good a player. That's why he's holding out - to get more money than Kareem Jackson.

The Broncos don't have to pay him, he's under contract for 1 more year, but at the end of this season then he'd be a FA.

Considering that Elway is trying to "win now" both this year and next, not re-signing him would be a huge blunder.

TXBRONC
04-04-2019, 04:16 PM
Denver just gave Kareem Jackson a LOT more money than Chris Harris, and he's nowhere near as good a player. That's why he's holding out - to get more money than Kareem Jackson.

The Broncos don't have to pay him, he's under contract for 1 more year, but at the end of this season then he'd be a FA.

Considering that Elway is trying to "win now" both this year and next, not re-signing him would be a huge blunder.

How do you know he's holding out. Missing a voluntary camp doesn't mean he's holding out.

ShaneFalco
04-04-2019, 06:54 PM
might as well get paid. Team aint going anywhere with flucco

Shazam!
04-04-2019, 07:39 PM
might as well get paid. Team aint going anywhere with flucco

Shane i cant wait to see you eat crow if Flacco comes in and is bad ass.

Davii
04-04-2019, 09:07 PM
Shane i cant wait to see you eat crow if Flacco comes in and is bad ass.

Bet he gets more TD's this season than Chad Kelly

BroncoWave
04-04-2019, 09:37 PM
Bet he gets more TD's this season than Chad Kelly

Unless you count all the TDs he'll throw while on his couch playing Madden this year!

Davii
04-04-2019, 09:54 PM
Unless you count all the TDs he'll throw while on his couch playing Madden this year!

In that case I'M in!

TXBRONC
04-05-2019, 10:26 AM

Chad doesn't like couches anymore.

LawDog
04-05-2019, 01:18 PM
Chad doesn't like couches anymore.

#otherpeoplescouches

TXBRONC
04-05-2019, 03:38 PM
#otherpeoplescouches

Idk, I heard he go rid of couch. I also heard he's developed a phobia about going into furniture stores.

Cugel
04-05-2019, 05:03 PM
How do you know he's holding out. Missing a voluntary camp doesn't mean he's holding out.

I don't mean he's holding out all season. I mean he's holding out of attending the mini-camp. He's making his displeasure about the status of his contract negotiations known to Elway, who has said that he isn't going to re-negotiate with Harris prior to the draft.

If they draft a CB in the first, that could be a sign they are not going to pay Harris, which would be a stupid blunder of the first magnitude. If they get a deal done, good. Right now the smart money is on "deal." But, we'll see. Elway has done stupid things before in terms of not paying players who deserve it, while signing high priced veterans from other teams who are worse than the players he's letting go.

Perfect example: signing Donald Stephenson and letting Orlando Franklin walk.

Timmy!
04-05-2019, 10:16 PM
Cugel is Orlando Franklin's bea.

TXBRONC
04-06-2019, 09:15 AM
I don't mean he's holding out all season. I mean he's holding out of attending the mini-camp. He's making his displeasure about the status of his contract negotiations known to Elway, who has said that he isn't going to re-negotiate with Harris prior to the draft.

If they draft a CB in the first, that could be a sign they are not going to pay Harris, which would be a stupid blunder of the first magnitude. If they get a deal done, good. Right now the smart money is on "deal." But, we'll see. Elway has done stupid things before in terms of not paying players who deserve it, while signing high priced veterans from other teams who are worse than the players he's letting go.

Perfect example: signing Donald Stephenson and letting Orlando Franklin walk.

There is nothing that indicate he's going skip mini-camp. Missing a voluntary workout means absolutely nothing. I doubt draft a corner back the the first round would mean anything other than they drafted one in the first round. Before this came up talking about taking a corner as early as the first round. The free agent signings eliminate the need factor but if that's the best player on the board then drafting a corner is still a possibility.

Cugel
04-06-2019, 04:34 PM

No, I just hated how Donald Stephenson signed the big contract to come here and then just flopped. I mean he was suddenly bad. I don't know what happened. But, they were expecting this big upgrade over Franklin, and boy did they not get it. If anything he was worse.

BroncoWave
04-06-2019, 04:40 PM
I don't mean he's holding out all season. I mean he's holding out of attending the mini-camp.

That's not what a holdout is. It's not officially classified as a holdout until a player misses mandatory team activities. As of now, this is no story. If he starts missing training camp then it will actually be an issue.

Cugel
04-06-2019, 04:41 PM
There is nothing that indicate he's going skip mini-camp. Missing a voluntary workout means absolutely nothing. I doubt draft a corner back the the first round would mean anything other than they drafted one in the first round. Before this came up talking about taking a corner as early as the first round. The free agent signings eliminate the need factor but if that's the best player on the board then drafting a corner is still a possibility.

I sure hope not for Harris' sake! They certainly should draft a CB somewhere in the draft because Brenden Langley is switching to WR so they are already a CB down and need another. But, not the first round. ILB, DE, OT, OG, C, QB, TE those are the really severe needs. They have so many needs they can take the best player at several positions, not just one.

Who the "best player available" depends in part on your need. Regardless of what QB was available the Chiefs would not draft a QB in the first round. They have Mahomes and don't need one.

So, CB would be possible, but you can find CBs later in the draft, whereas it's harder to find OL or DL. The big guys go early, because good ones are harder to find (fewer big than small men).

Cugel
04-06-2019, 04:43 PM
That's not what a holdout is. It's not officially classified as a holdout until a player misses mandatory team activities. As of now, this is no story. If he starts missing training camp then it will actually be an issue.

It's an issue. It's not officially a problem until he starts missing training camp. But, you don't have to wait until the rain actually starts to notice the rain squall may be coming.

Valar Morghulis
04-07-2019, 12:10 AM
We sure do look to find the positives in our players.

He has never missed anything before. Then the season we sign 2 cb and pay them well...... He decides to miss voluntary practice.......... In a contract year

No one is saying he is a bad dude, but it is reasonable to assume this might be a bargaining tactic, rather than just saying "nothing to see here people"

It's like Mike klis level homerism to dismiss the possibility harris would go elsewhere

BeefStew25
04-07-2019, 12:20 AM
It's an issue. It's not officially a problem until he starts missing training camp. But, you don't have to wait until the rain actually starts to notice the rain squall may be coming.

I bet you yell at windmills.

Cugel
04-07-2019, 01:33 AM
I bet you yell at windmills.

Ground Control
04-07-2019, 04:00 AM
Doesn’t look good. I wish we would pay him sooner than later. He’s one of the leagues best CBs.

Elway said he wanted to wait until after the draft.

Apparently this isn’t sitting well with Harris. From Chris Harris side: “Pay him or trade him” and he didn’t show for the first day of the offseason program.

Sooo...did the Broncos see into the future? Is this why they signed these other two DBs? Insurance in case a deal can’t get done?

What could we realistically get for him in a trade? Harris is one of my favorite Broncos but good teams sell high. Could we use the extra draft picks?

Harris will sit. He has no choice. I agree with you on all the love factors and I do think even 15 million is worth it. He'll be a champ for at least another 4 years and isn't the poison that Talib was...plus, Harris can move to safety when he loses step.

But 'pay him or trade him' is meaningless agent speak. The draft still needs to happen and rhetoric is just that. I'm definitely pro player over ownership but my feelings, or Harris', don't really mean much. Let's just wait and see. If Elway moves past Harris, Elway is a fool. We don't have a CB1 without Harris and no draft kid is going to gt us there. Harris should get his money but he'll have to wait.

Just like us. Dammit!

BroncoWave
04-07-2019, 06:47 AM
We sure do look to find the positives in our players.

He has never missed anything before. Then the season we sign 2 cb and pay them well...... He decides to miss voluntary practice.......... In a contract year

No one is saying he is a bad dude, but it is reasonable to assume this might be a bargaining tactic, rather than just saying "nothing to see here people"

It's like Mike klis level homerism to dismiss the possibility harris would go elsewhere

I don't think anyone is denying that missing these voluntary meetings is a negotiating tactic. Of course it is. What I'm saying at least, and I imagine most of the other people in this thread, is that it's not something that's risen to the level of a huge deal at this point. Von Miller did the same thing when it was time for his deal to get redone and it worked out fine. I just don't see CHJ having a long, nasty holdout. And if he does, I'll worry about it then.

Valar Morghulis
04-07-2019, 08:01 AM
I don't think anyone is denying that missing these voluntary meetings is a negotiating tactic. Of course it is. What I'm saying at least, and I imagine most of the other people in this thread, is that it's not something that's risen to the level of a huge deal at this point. Von Miller did the same thing when it was time for his deal to get redone and it worked out fine. I just don't see CHJ having a long, nasty holdout. And if he does, I'll worry about it then.

But this is not about a long and nasty hold out - this is about making one of our own, a loyal soldier and A* talent feel like he matters.

By not turning up - sure, i agree, it is not some big long nasty process, but it sure is the first step towards one.

This is a pre-incident indicator and if Elway isn't careful, Harris Jr will not feel loved. And in a game where inches are everything, frame of mind and psychology mattters - i don't even reackon he wants 15 mil a year, i bet he just wants love, security and the respect he has earned.

TXBRONC
04-07-2019, 09:24 AM
I sure hope not for Harris' sake! They certainly should draft a CB somewhere in the draft because Brenden Langley is switching to WR so they are already a CB down and need another. But, not the first round. ILB, DE, OT, OG, C, QB, TE those are the really severe needs. They have so many needs they can take the best player at several positions, not just one.

Who the "best player available" depends in part on your need. Regardless of what QB was available the Chiefs would not draft a QB in the first round. They have Mahomes and don't need one.

So, CB would be possible, but you can find CBs later in the draft, whereas it's harder to find OL or DL. The big guys go early, because good ones are harder to find (fewer big than small men).

True,finding a cornerback later in the draft who is more likely than a big man. However, my point was bpa.

Jsteve01
04-07-2019, 11:36 AM
But this is not about a long and nasty hold out - this is about making one of our own, a loyal soldier and A* talent feel like he matters.

By not turning up - sure, i agree, it is not some big long nasty process, but it sure is the first step towards one.

This is a pre-incident indicator and if Elway isn't careful, Harris Jr will not feel loved. And in a game where inches are everything, frame of mind and psychology mattters - i don't even reackon he wants 15 mil a year, i bet he just wants love, security and the respect he has earned.

Whatever Shanahan didn't do well, other than Al Wilson, shannie always took care of his good players early in the process. You never saw these long drawn-out holdouts. The Porta situation was one glaring example, but he managed to pull Champ Bailey out of that situation. Elway on the other hand has somehow talked his homegrown Talent into taking quote-unquote haircuts as Derek Wolfe likes to call them, and if I'm Chris Harris and I'm in my early 30s I'm definitely thinking about the fact that I never got the big payday A perennial pro bowler and All-Pro should get.

Timmy!
04-07-2019, 04:41 PM
Whatever Shanahan didn't do well, other than Al Wilson, shannie always took care of his good players early in the process. You never saw these long drawn-out holdouts. The Porta situation was one glaring example, but he managed to pull Champ Bailey out of that situation. Elway on the other hand has somehow talked his homegrown Talent into taking quote-unquote haircuts as Derek Wolfe likes to call them, and if I'm Chris Harris and I'm in my early 30s I'm definitely thinking about the fact that I never got the big payday A perennial pro bowler and All-Pro should get.

Von and DT both got big deals. Harris will get paid, in Denver.

Freyaka
04-08-2019, 11:39 AM

Well they work together at 104.3 the fan so...

BroncoTech
04-08-2019, 10:57 PM
Pretty self unaware when the team's record is like it is then everyone is expendable. I like the guy but as a business decision I can think of only 4 or 5 players deserving of a raise.

Elevation inc
04-09-2019, 03:00 AM
Pretty self unaware when the team's record is like it is then everyone is expendable. I like the guy but as a business decision I can think of only 4 or 5 players deserving of a raise.

If you don't think he is one of them in your 4 or 5 players, then you haven't been paying attention. I still think this is a non-story and we will get a deal done. I expect a 3 or 4 year deal and the total to be in the top 5 at his position per year.

BroncoWave
04-09-2019, 05:50 AM
I'm glad to see from that high five that you've come around to this being a non story, Dave. :D

Valar Morghulis
04-09-2019, 05:57 AM
I'm glad to see from that high five that you've come around to this being a non story, Dave. :D

Lol.

I just liked his way of putting it!

sneakers
04-09-2019, 06:22 AM
source: some guy on twitter

TXBRONC
04-09-2019, 09:53 AM
It's always good idea to hold back when story like this is put out there.

Valar Morghulis
04-15-2019, 03:18 PM
He's missing the next round of voluntary workouts as well

All noting to see here, or is this thing gaining traction?

MOtorboat
04-15-2019, 03:20 PM

Meh. I’d only worry if he misses camp.

BroncoWave
04-15-2019, 03:22 PM

Even if he holds out of camp I don't really care. Show up week 1 and all is well.

Davii
04-15-2019, 05:03 PM
Even if he holds out of camp I don't really care. Show up week 1 and all is well.

I don't know if I'd go that far. New coaches, etc he needs to be around. Point well taken though

Timmy!
04-15-2019, 05:39 PM
The key word here is "voluntary." Harris is taking the leverage he has to send the message that he is serious, while not doing anything to be penalized. He is playing the business part professionally, as he likely should.

BroncoWave
04-15-2019, 07:09 PM
I don't know if I'd go that far. New coaches, etc he needs to be around. Point well taken though

If it were a younger player I'd be more worried, but he's a vet, he'll figure it out. Obviously I'd like him to be back for camp, but I won't lose sleep if he isn't.

Simple Jaded
04-18-2019, 01:01 AM
CHJ has been thrown at 644 times in 132 games, over that span;

Only 10 WR’s have caught a TD pass against him.

Only 8 times has a player totaled more than 50 yards, and only once has a player ever totaled more than 85.

I have no idea if what I just wrote is true, a buddy sent that to me today, but he’s a lot smarter than me so Imma assume it’s legit.

Simple Jaded
04-18-2019, 01:03 AM
CHJ has been thrown at 644 times in 132 games, over that span;

Only 10 WR’s have caught a TD pass against him.

Only 8 times has a player totaled more than 50 yards, and only once has a player ever totaled more than 85.

I have no idea if what I just wrote is true, a buddy sent that to me today, but he’s a lot smarter than me so Imma assume it’s legit.

Btw, sell high!

TXBRONC
04-18-2019, 07:12 AM

Agreed.

Jsteve01
04-18-2019, 11:56 PM

Yeah but not the all pro cb who is way underpaid?

Zweems56
04-23-2019, 09:46 PM
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1120880791108476928

Well, shit. That got official quickly.

VonDoom
04-23-2019, 09:48 PM
Okay, now we can start to worry

Northman
04-23-2019, 09:50 PM
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1120880791108476928

Well, shit. That got official quickly.

Where there is smoke there is usually fire.

Cugel
04-23-2019, 10:11 PM
Kind of dumb by Denver here, if you are planning on winning now (Flacco) than pay Chris because we are going to need all the help we can get with any kind of vet presence. If we were looking to reload and rebuild we should have passed on Flacco. For the life of me i dont know what John and company are thinking here. Hope they get it worked out.

That is exactly the point. Either you are in "win now" mode or you are in "rebuild mode". You can't be in BOTH. If they are in rebuild mode then trade Von Miller, trade Chris Harris, trade Derek Wolfe. No point keeping elite players on the roster when you are rebuilding for a future that is 2 or 3 years and a developmental QB away. Stockpile picks, draft a rookie QB. Suck for 2 years and hopefully compete in 2021. That's one way to go.

The Raiders did that. They cleaned house of every good player they had other than Derek Carr and stockpiled 3 first round picks this year. They went 4-12 but now they are set to rebuild with younger cheaper players.

But, if Elway believes he is competing for the division then they desperately need Chris Harris. None of the other FAs they got is at all comparable. No rookie they draft will be able to replace Harris this season, if ever.

And they are in a division where KC is vastly superior on offense and has the NFL MVP at QB for the next 10 years. How the hell are the Broncos going to compete with that? It certainly isn't going to be because Joe Flacco is at all competitive with Pat Mahomes and his 50 TDs a season. The Broncos only chance is to be much better on DEFENSE, so that they can slow down the Chiefs' offense and win that way.

But, for that they need Chris Harris. Without him their CBs are mediocre at best.

It's just monumental stupidity piled on monumental stupidity with Elway. He keeps refusing to re-negotiate his key players a year ahead. Instead he keeps insisting on waiting until the last minute, and then trying to low-ball the player.

And it keeps not working but he never seems to learn anything from his repeated failures: Brock Osweiler, Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan, and now Chris Harris.

What is the reason why they keep waiting? They should have gotten a deal done in January. Elway just said he's "too busy" now to negotiate anything. That's complete B.S. If you've ever been in contract negotiations it doesn't take that much time to review an offer. It's not like he couldn't do anything else if he had to talk for 5 minutes to Chris Harris' agent. They might not conclude their talks, but to say that they're not even doing anything at all is just Elway's way of saying they intend to low-ball Harris.

I now put the odds on a new deal at less than 50% since Elway said today that "he's still under contract." Yeah, for this year. What about next year? What about that?

Elway is the one who keeps insisting that they are in "win-now" mode and then they do something stupid like this?

SmilinAssasSin27
04-23-2019, 10:15 PM
Bye, Chris.

Davii
04-23-2019, 10:21 PM
Bye, Chris.

I wouldn't say that just yet.

Zweems56
04-23-2019, 10:21 PM
Bye, Chris.

Yeah, RIP. My assumption is a late first or an early second for him. Sad end to a hell of a run. My wife's Jersey collection is friggin cursed, man...

Davii
04-23-2019, 10:22 PM
That is exactly the point. Either you are in "win now" mode or you are in "rebuild mode". You can't be in BOTH. If they are in rebuild mode then trade Von Miller, trade Chris Harris, trade Derek Wolfe. No point keeping elite players on the roster when you are rebuilding for a future that is 2 or 3 years and a developmental QB away. Stockpile picks, draft a rookie QB. Suck for 2 years and hopefully compete in 2021. That's one way to go.

The Raiders did that. They cleaned house of every good player they had other than Derek Carr and stockpiled 3 first round picks this year. They went 4-12 but now they are set to rebuild with younger cheaper players.

But, if Elway believes he is competing for the division then they desperately need Chris Harris. None of the other FAs they got is at all comparable. No rookie they draft will be able to replace Harris this season, if ever.

And they are in a division where KC is vastly superior on offense and has the NFL MVP at QB for the next 10 years. How the hell are the Broncos going to compete with that? It certainly isn't going to be because Joe Flacco is at all competitive with Pat Mahomes and his 50 TDs a season. The Broncos only chance is to be much better on DEFENSE, so that they can slow down the Chiefs' offense and win that way.

But, for that they need Chris Harris. Without him their CBs are mediocre at best.

It's just monumental stupidity piled on monumental stupidity with Elway. He keeps refusing to re-negotiate his key players a year ahead. Instead he keeps insisting on waiting until the last minute, and then trying to low-ball the player.

And it keeps not working but he never seems to learn anything from his repeated failures: Brock Osweiler, Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan, and now Chris Harris.

What is the reason why they keep waiting? They should have gotten a deal done in January. Elway just said he's "too busy" now to negotiate anything. That's complete B.S. If you've ever been in contract negotiations it doesn't take that much time to review an offer. It's not like he couldn't do anything else if he had to talk for 5 minutes to Chris Harris' agent. They might not conclude their talks, but to say that they're not even doing anything at all is just Elway's way of saying they intend to low-ball Harris.

I now put the odds on a new deal at less than 50% since Elway said today that "he's still under contract." Yeah, for this year. What about next year? What about that?

Elway is the one who keeps insisting that they are in "win-now" mode and then they do something stupid like this?

It's funny how you continually change the goalposts with this. You routinely lambast Elway for not getting guys under contact before they're free agents, now he should've gotten it dinne before even last year was over.

:lol:

Zweems56
04-23-2019, 10:23 PM

You see his request yet? 15m APY. Not happening for a 30yo CB coming off injury.

Davii
04-23-2019, 10:32 PM
You see his request yet? 15m APY. Not happening for a 30yo CB coming off injury.

He played in the Pro Bowl. The injury is of no concern

SmilinAssasSin27
04-23-2019, 10:37 PM
We just aren't close enough as a team to warrant paying crazy $ to a 30 year old CB. No ill will. Just think we can save money and hopefully find a suitable replacement to develop for when we may be ready to complete. We are in rebuild mode. We are trying to rebuild while staying competitive. But if he prices himself out if town...so be it

ShaneFalco
04-23-2019, 10:51 PM
why dont we have cap room....

oh right. Flucco and Keesum. Genius move.

every other NFL team realizes you have to get QB on rookie contract.

Not us tho.

Davii
04-23-2019, 10:52 PM
why dont we have cap room....

oh right. Flucco and Keesum. Gj elway

Still better than Tebow or Kelly. Both have jobs on NFL teams

ShaneFalco
04-23-2019, 10:53 PM
Still better than Tebow or Kelly. Both have jobs on NFL teams

yea paying flucco 18m and paying keesum another 5-8, when he isnt even on the team anymore.

clearly was the better option then paying kelly 400k. or tebow a few mil.

ShaneFalco
04-23-2019, 10:55 PM
Most expensive QB room in the NFL, you would think Aaron Rodgers is the Broncos QB

Davii
04-23-2019, 11:02 PM
Most expensive QB room in the NFL, you would think Aaron Rodgers is the Broncos QB

This is false.

MOtorboat
04-23-2019, 11:03 PM
Tim Tebow. So good at football that’s he’s hitting .156 in AAA baseball at the age of 31.

Davii
04-23-2019, 11:04 PM
Tim Tebow. So good at football that’s he’s hitting .156 in AAA baseball at the age of 31.

Mo, I will make as much as a QB in the NFL this season as Tim Tebow will.

My W2 says I did last year as well.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-23-2019, 11:04 PM
Mike Klis
‏Verified account @MikeKlis
1h1 hour ago

As first reported by 9News, ominous turn on Chris Harris Jr. front in recent days. According to a source, Harris has requested either a contract of at least $15 million APY or a trade. Trade first reported by @AdamSchefter. But request was trade or deal of $15M+ per. #9sports

Denver Native (Carol)
04-23-2019, 11:09 PM
KUSA – It is becoming increasingly possible Chris Harris Jr. has played his last game with the Denver Broncos.

Roughly 48 hours before the start of the NFL Draft, Harris’ agent Frederick Lyles notified the Broncos on Tuesday afternoon they would either like a new contract that exceeds $15 million per year, or they would like to be traded, sources told 9News.

Harris has been absent from the Broncos’ offseason program since it began three weeks ago as a way to send notice he wants a new contract. He is currently in the final season of a five-year extension he received in December 2014.

Harris received a $1 million option in March and has another $7.9 million payout in 2019. Harris’ current deal ties him for 24th in the league in terms of annual average. Washington’s Josh Norman is the highest-paid corner at $15 million per year.

rest - https://www.9news.com/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/chris-harris-jr-to-broncos-pay-me-or-trade-me/73-6dccadbf-7802-4c35-8bb6-abe01bf25b06

Jsteve01
04-23-2019, 11:27 PM
So to all those who kept telling us not to worry....tell us that story again. John was very short in his press conference regarding Chris. We didnt pay Talib last year at 11 per. So now we pay Chris 15 per? Bull shit for him to do this the week of the draft.

Davii
04-23-2019, 11:34 PM
So to all those who kept telling us not to worry....tell us that story again. John was very short in his press conference regarding Chris. We didnt pay Talib last year at 11 per. So now we pay Chris 15 per? Bull shit for him to do this the week of the draft.

Chris is basically saying he wants out of Denver. I don't think John makes him the highest paid CB in the league. If he's after that, which apparently he is, he'll get it elsewhere.

I don't think it's BS he did it right before the draft, he has leverage he should use it, and he's given John the opportunity to trade him for draft capital and get a top flight CB in the draft.

I want Chris on the team, for sure, but he deserves his payday and I don't see highest paid CB in the league happening here.

D1g1tal j1m
04-24-2019, 01:00 AM
We signed Bryce and Kareem and will probably draft another corner in a deep draft class for them. We may be able to pick up a 3rd rounder in a trade for him and will use that pick to help bolster the line-up. Chris picked a bad time to get injured. If he was 100% healthy he would of had a ton of leverage but coming off injury and enter the wrong side of 30, he is wasn't going to get a long term deal in Denver for the price he wants. This is why "hometown discounts" are a bad idea in most signings as players usually don't recoup the lost salary in the back end of their careers. Sad end to the No Fly Zone but onto the next group of DBs to man the field in 2019/2020.

ShaneFalco
04-24-2019, 04:06 AM

Harris will prolly get traded to the Rams for a 4th too.

Then next year go after another aging vet qb "coming into his prime". Another Sanchez, Keesum, Flucco, Fitzpatrick type.

Shazam!
04-24-2019, 05:27 AM
So now we pay Chris 15 per? Bull shit for him to do this the week of the draft.

Exactly. His timing couldnt have been worse. And id hate to see him go, especially this way.

Shazam!
04-24-2019, 05:33 AM

Harris will prolly get traded to the Rams for a 4th too.

Then next year go after another aging vet qb "coming into his prime". Another Sanchez, Keesum, Flucco, Fitzpatrick type.

You must enjoy polluting every thread.

VonDoom
04-24-2019, 06:09 AM
In a vacuum, I understand not wanting to pay a 30 year old CB $15 million a year. But it's how we got to this point that's so disappointing. Renck reported that Harris only put out his demands after Elway's "tone" from the press conference yesterday (where he basically said he would get to it when he gets to it, and didn't guarantee anything). Combine that with bringing in two shiny new CB's, including one getting paid more than Harris, and this will go down as an Elway fail if Harris leaves.

I try not to get sentimental about players - I understood the Talib trade, the DT trade, etc. Shit happens. But on a list of untouchable current Broncos, Harris was second only to Von in my mind. Sometimes ruthless Patriots-like efficiency isn't the best way to go about things.

VonDoom
04-24-2019, 06:17 AM
And is this relates to our QB situation ... wouldn't it be nice to have a QB on a rookie deal where we could then afford to splurge a little to reward our best players? Harris is on the Ring of Fame path and took an exceptionally team friendly deal last time. But instead of that, we throw $18-20 million a year at below average QB's and then have to go cheap elsewhere.

ShaneFalco
04-24-2019, 06:23 AM
And is this relates to our QB situation ... wouldn't it be nice to have a QB on a rookie deal where we could then afford to splurge a little to reward our best players? Harris is on the Ring of Fame path and took an exceptionally team friendly deal last time. But instead of that, we throw $18-20 million a year at below average QB's and then have to go cheap elsewhere.
i just hope von isnt next. And bringing in pacman... i duno what is deal with the secondary these days.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-24-2019, 06:24 AM
New England has been able to stay relavent because they leave sentiment at the door. They've only ever had 1 untouchable player. Everyone else can be dealt when their value is still high.

MasterShake
04-24-2019, 08:11 AM
Love Chris, and he is probably the best slot corner in the league, but he is putting the screws to the Broncos by demanding to be the top paid CB in the league. He took plenty of team friendly deals so I get it, but I think this is more about him wanting out then getting paid at this point and I don't blame him. I also don't blame Elway and the Broncos for scoffing at the fact that a player approaching 30 wants that kind of money. Hate to say it, but they both have to be ruthless in this case and do what is best for themselves/the team. I wish he would stay, but I'm a Broncos fan more than I am a CHJ fan. I wish him nothing but the best until he plays against us if he leaves.

SR
04-24-2019, 08:49 AM
He's as good as gone at this point if you ask me. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Denver draft Greedy or that other stud corner in the draft and pursue a trade for Harris.

Cugel
04-24-2019, 09:16 AM
It's funny how you continually change the goalposts with this. You routinely lambast Elway for not getting guys under contact before they're free agents, now he should've gotten it dinne before even last year was over.

:lol:

He should get it done. Period. If I thought Elway was going to re-sign Chris Harris, I wouldn't bother to post except to say "relax, they still have time."

But, I don't think that at all. Elway's presser yesterday was a total disaster. It's obvious they intend to low-ball Harris "you're under contract!" He came right out and said it.

And Harris was instantly angry, and is now demanding a trade. This is a bad own-goal from Elway. "I'm too busy to negotiate!"

Well, he paid $11m a year to mediocre guys like Bryce Callahan, and Kareem Jackson but he can't pay Chris Harris, the guy who essentially won you the SB with that interception on Brady's two point conversion attempt?

This was the situation before yesterday's unforced error.

The Broncos have a massive need at cornerback. They have three who are unrestricted free agents and a fourth -- Brendan Langley, a 2017 draft pick -- who has told others he plans to move to wide receiver. Adding Jackson gives the Broncos the best and most versatile cornerback on the market. Pairing Jackson with Chris Harris Jr. provides coach Vic Fangio with quality options in coverage. Harris is one of the most versatile defensive backs in the league and can consistently play at an elite level both on the outside and in the slot. The Broncos have also lined Harris up at safety for a smattering of snaps when needed, either by scheme or because of injuries to others. And Jackson, too, can play on the outside, in the slot and has seen time at safety as well.

Without Harris, the Broncos go right back to having a massive hole in their secondary. And does anybody think at this point that Harris is just going to quietly come in and do his job and shut up because Elway says "you're under contract!"

No. This is going to be very nasty and it's not going to end well for the Broncos.

Reality 101: The Broncos are desperately trying to "win now" in a division where they have the WORST QB. Which means their defense MUST be elite to give them any chance of beating KC.

Well, do any of you really think that without Chris Harris this defense is going to be BETTER this year than last? Yes, Vic Fangio is a better coach than VJ and Joe WOods (duh!).

But, who the hell is going to line up opposite Antonio Brown? They better tie lead weights to his ankles because the Broncos secondary is going to be torched without a true #1 Cb.

Now suddenly, CB becomes a pressing need in the draft when it wasn't before.

Just pay Harris and focus on the myriad of other problems this team has like - no Legit TE, Crappy play at LT, NO RG, No established starting C, desperate need at ILB for a guy who can cover TEs (a huge need since they let Danny Trevathan walk), no future franchise QB.

This is a ship with more holes than hull, and Elway is just screwing up. I have zero confidence he's going to be able to get this done.

And I'm not a Broncos homer who will just pretend that Elway poops rainbows and lollipops when he screws up. And this is a screw up.

They are not going to re-do Harris's deal and pay him $15m. He WILL get that from some other team. And whatever draft pick they get for him (2nd rounder?) is NOT going to get them a player of equal worth.

VonDoom
04-24-2019, 09:20 AM
Love Chris, and he is probably the best slot corner in the league, but he is putting the screws to the Broncos by demanding to be the top paid CB in the league. He took plenty of team friendly deals so I get it, but I think this is more about him wanting out then getting paid at this point and I don't blame him. I also don't blame Elway and the Broncos for scoffing at the fact that a player approaching 30 wants that kind of money. Hate to say it, but they both have to be ruthless in this case and do what is best for themselves/the team. I wish he would stay, but I'm a Broncos fan more than I am a CHJ fan. I wish him nothing but the best until he plays against us if he leaves.

I think that he wouldn’t have put out 15 million if the Broncos had seemed more receptive to extending him. This could have been worked out but it took a bad turn last night

VonDoom
04-24-2019, 09:21 AM
https://twitter.com/mikeklis/status/1121053965292986368?s=21

Cugel
04-24-2019, 09:21 AM
He's as good as gone at this point if you ask me. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Denver draft Greedy or that other stud corner in the draft and pursue a trade for Harris.

That would be a perfectly viable plan IF the Broncos were in "rebuild mode." So, they get rid of Harris and draft some rookie, who might POSSIBLY (but probably not) be a top 5 CB --- in maybe 3 years or so.

WHo cares? They weren't planning on winning now anyway with some rookie QB, might as well just tank and rebuild with younger players. Go 4-12, get a top 3 draft pick. Take Fromm or Tua or Herbert. Go 5-11 in 2020, but in 2021 you have a QB to compete with Pat Mahomes for the next decade.

IF that was the plan I'd be fine with it. But, that is NOT the plan. They went out and got Joe Flacco and a bunch of high priced FAs because Elway keeps insisting that they are NOT in "rebuild mode."

Only, without Chris Harris that win now plan is just not going to work.
But, Elway is the one who keeps insisting

VonDoom
04-24-2019, 09:22 AM
Hard to believe that the most positive thing Klis can say is “there’s a chance” he’s still a Bronco this week but here we are

slim
04-24-2019, 09:34 AM
https://twitter.com/mikeklis/status/1121053965292986368?s=21

What could his value realistically be? Maybe a 3rd pick?

Davii
04-24-2019, 09:37 AM
What could his value realistically be? Maybe a 3rd pick?

Worst case scenario is no trade or new contract happens, he sits out a year, goes elsewhere and we get a 3rd compensatory pick.

Being that we'd get a 3rd compensatory for him I think we can get better than that in a trade.

Davii
04-24-2019, 09:39 AM
Maybe Vance asks for him in Az?

CHJ - Rosen
CHJ - Peterson
CHJ - Picks

Who knows. Niners maybe, Bills could have interest, Rams could certainly have interest....

Mike
04-24-2019, 09:42 AM
It is not really debatable that Elway has a history of short-changing players, misreading the market, and low-balling. It is a completely fair criticism of him. I am not at the point of saying he is a bad GM, but he is on thin ice in my opinion of him as GM (not that that means anything).

I like Harris, but he ain't worth that scratch at this point in his career. I consider us in a rebuild and not in any position to compete for anything other than a top 10 pick again, so it doesn't bother me.

Nomad
04-24-2019, 09:52 AM

CHJ - Rosen
CHJ - Peterson
CHJ - Picks

Who knows. Niners maybe, Bills could have interest, Rams could certainly have interest....

What is Harris worth as far as picks? Hate to see him go, but I guess it’s business.

CoachChaz
04-24-2019, 09:55 AM

CHJ - Rosen
CHJ - Peterson
CHJ - Picks

Seems like a Harris for Peterson trade would work for all 4 parties involved, but...does AZ (or anyone else) want to pay a 30 year old CB 15 mil a year? How would we afford Peterson, who is currently under a contract that pays him 4 million more this season than what Harris would make?

Going to be an interesting week.

Davii
04-24-2019, 09:57 AM
What is Harris worth as far as picks? Hate to see him go, but I guess it’s business.

Not sure, but being that we'd get a late 3rd if he sits out a year and then leaves I'm sure it's higher than that.

Davii
04-24-2019, 10:10 AM
Seems like a Harris for Peterson trade would work for all 4 parties involved, but...does AZ (or anyone else) want to pay a 30 year old CB 15 mil a year? How would we afford Peterson, who is currently under a contract that pays him 4 million more this season than what Harris would make?

What about a CHJ and pick 10 to move up?

Thoughts?

BroncoWave
04-24-2019, 10:12 AM
It is not really debatable that Elway has a history of short-changing players, misreading the market, and low-balling. It is a completely fair criticism of him. I am not at the point of saying he is a bad GM, but he is on thin ice in my opinion of him as GM (not that that means anything).

I like Harris, but he ain't worth that scratch at this point in his career. I consider us in a rebuild and not in any position to compete for anything other than a top 10 pick again, so it doesn't bother me.

Yeah, it's getting harder and harder to defend him. Elway trying to emulate BB only works if he can actually replace all the guys he ships off with comparable players. Last year's draft was a decent start, but he needs to replicate that now.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-24-2019, 10:13 AM
While the team may have been willing to give Harris a raise, it appears the cornerback has reached a point where he’s ready to move on.

The team did show goodwill last season by adding a $3 million incentive package on top of the $8.5 million Harris was already to receive. Harris earned $500,000 in incentives and was on pace to reach more until he suffered a leg fracture that caused him to miss the final four games.

https://www.9news.com/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/chris-harris-jr-to-broncos-pay-me-or-trade-me/73-6dccadbf-7802-4c35-8bb6-abe01bf25b06

Mike Klis
‏Verified account @MikeKlis
54m54 minutes ago

Source: Broncos will listen to trade offers for Chris Harris Jr. but they won't give him away. There is a chance he is still with Broncos at draft's end. One team did call about Harris earlier in week, before situation took a turn yesterday. #9sports

Shazam!
04-24-2019, 10:29 AM

Thoughts?

Broncos should concede nothing at this point.

Valar Morghulis
04-24-2019, 10:36 AM
The reason the Patriots are still relevant is they have an all pro qb getting paid like a journeyman back up.

Remove that dynamic and all the lack of sentiment people are citing would get them in the exact same position Denver are in..

The pre incident indicators of this were clear for all to see. The Broncos showed someone who should retire a ring of fame Bronco zero love. And that's just disappointing.

Should never have taken fluko, drafted a QB and been in a position to pay CJH.

Paying him now likely just hand cuffs us to another year of mediocrity.

CoachChaz
04-24-2019, 10:57 AM

Thoughts?

Move up for what/who, though? Has to be significant, low risk value in the end. My opinion anyway.

Davii
04-24-2019, 10:58 AM
Move up for what/who, though? Has to be significant, low risk value in the end. My opinion anyway.

That's why I asked, no clue on my end. What/who/where would you see being worth it?

CoachChaz
04-24-2019, 11:01 AM
The reason the Patriots are still relevant is they have an all pro qb getting paid like a journeyman back up.

Remove that dynamic and all the lack of sentiment people are citing would get them in the exact same position Denver are in..

The pre incident indicators of this were clear for all to see. The Broncos showed someone who should retire a ring of fame Bronco zero love. And that's just disappointing.

I disagree. While it's nice to have 3 of the top 7 rated CB's on the roster...it is also a complete luxury. If you include the progress that Yiadom has reportedly been making, then we are still in good shape. I'll be honest in saying I was surprised they signed 2 CB's in free agency, but maybe this was the plan all along. Who knows? But to say we are handcuffed because we may lose one of three top ranked CB's who is entering his 30's is an overstatement in my opinion.

Davii
04-24-2019, 11:04 AM
I disagree. While it's nice to have 3 of the top 7 rated CB's on the roster...it is also a complete luxury. If you include the progress that Yiadom has reportedly been making, then we are still in good shape. I'll be honest in saying I was surprised they signed 2 CB's in free agency, but maybe this was the plan all along. Who knows? But to say we are handcuffed because we may lose one of three top ranked CB's who is entering his 30's is an overstatement in my opinion.

There certainly is a possibility Elway was planning on letting CHJ play out his contract and walk or was planning on trading him already and his comments about talking about it doesn't mean doing it do somewhat point that way.

I don't know. I'd hate to see Chris go, but reality is you're right on having 3 top 10 (nevermind 7) is a luxury and maybe one we can't afford.

Northman
04-24-2019, 11:05 AM

Flacco has nothing to do with Harris not getting paid.

CoachChaz
04-24-2019, 11:06 AM
That's why I asked, no clue on my end. What/who/where would you see being worth it?

Quite honestly? No one. It wouldn't be enough to move up to any of the top 3 spots, so we can leave Murray, Bosa and Williams off the list. The others are players at areas that are already strengths for us or may not have the low risk that should be required to swing this type of a deal. Of the expected top 10 payers (depending on which mock you prefer to agree with), I only see White, Williams and Hockenson as players that could contribute right away are positions of need. Is Harris and a 1st round pick worth either of them?

My opinion, we should explore a player for player trade. Hard to say what that would look like exactly, but I think it would be the best case scenario.

Northman
04-24-2019, 11:09 AM

Well, John has said otherwise but if you are right than grabbing Flacco was quite dumb on John's part. Im probably more with you here that i would much rather just start getting younger and rebuild but that isnt the message that John has been sending the last few years in terms of competing for championships.

CoachChaz
04-24-2019, 11:11 AM
There certainly is a possibility Elway was planning on letting CHJ play out his contract and walk or was planning on trading him already and his comments about talking about it doesn't mean doing it do somewhat point that way.

I don't know. I'd hate to see Chris go, but reality is you're right on having 3 top 10 (nevermind 7) is a luxury and maybe one we can't afford.

It's the reason Talib was shipped out last year and a part of the reason Roby isn't back this year. I think we were spoiled by having 3 top CB's for a few years and now we, as fans, have the expectation of that being the case all the time because of the issues we faced last year.

Northman
04-24-2019, 11:11 AM
Quite honestly? No one. It wouldn't be enough to move up to any of the top 3 spots, so we can leave Murray, Bosa and Williams off the list. The others are players at areas that are already strengths for us or may not have the low risk that should be required to swing this type of a deal. Of the expected top 10 payers (depending on which mock you prefer to agree with), I only see White, Williams and Hockenson as players that could contribute right away are positions of need. Is Harris and a 1st round pick worth either of them?

My opinion, we should explore a player for player trade. Hard to say what that would look like exactly, but I think it would be the best case scenario.

I dont see any reason for Denver to move up from 10, there are plenty of great players that can be had where we are as it is. The only benefit of getting compensation for Harris at this point is to either trade for a player and a pick or a pick or 2 going forward.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-24-2019, 11:12 AM
Harris' contract history with Broncos

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/chris-harris-8864/

CoachChaz
04-24-2019, 11:13 AM
I dont see any reason for Denver to move up from 10, there are plenty of great players that can be had where we are as it is. The only benefit of getting compensation for Harris at this point is to either trade for a player and a pick or a pick or 2 going forward.

Agreed.

Poet
04-24-2019, 11:25 AM
He's a great player. I understand why he wants his money. But, I also understand as to why we might not want to give him that contract right now. If we really do think we are close to contending, however, it's hard to not pay him.

Nomad
04-24-2019, 11:29 AM
Hello, King.

Poet
04-24-2019, 11:32 AM
Greetings, Nomad. I am looking forward to drafting our new ILB.

Northman
04-24-2019, 11:33 AM
Kinger!!!

Northman
04-24-2019, 11:33 AM
Greetings, Nomad. I am looking forward to drafting our new ILB.

Probably will be Bush but im a 70's guy and love retro porn. Lets do this!

Poet
04-24-2019, 11:34 AM
Probably will be Bush but im a 70's guy and love retro porn. Lets do this!

Oh....oh my.

Poet
04-24-2019, 11:43 AM
**** it - trade him to Zona, take Murray or Haskins. Style. Trade three straight first round picks to number two and then draft Murray or Haskins. Have the greatest QB competition ever. Trade the other.

#Madden

Valar Morghulis
04-24-2019, 11:44 AM
Flacco has nothing to do with Harris not getting paid.

Why, are the Ravens paying his salary?

Valar Morghulis
04-24-2019, 11:46 AM

I am saying to pay him 15 million a year would hand cuff us......as in that would not leave us money to pay other positions. I personally believe if we showed him some love, he would have taken less.

Zweems56
04-24-2019, 01:14 PM
He played in the Pro Bowl. The injury is of no concern

Little late getting back to this, but that's a valid point. I still don't think that he's getting 15m APY. At least not with high guarantees.

Northman
04-24-2019, 01:16 PM
Why, are the Ravens paying his salary?

Im not sure if they are paying any of it or not but it really has nothing to do with Harris's situation. Lol

wayninja
04-24-2019, 01:19 PM
Elway isn't gonna pay him like that. It's just not Elway.

So...

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2F33.media.tumblr.com%2Fd245f0a6fed e768a3ff30b38127c0a23%2Ftumblr_mk8pgmoEBo1s3dgmoo1 _500.gif&f=1

BroncoJoe
04-24-2019, 01:23 PM
Chris Harris' Contract Expectations Are a Complete Joke

https://www.12up.com/posts/6352778-chris-harris-contract-expectations-are-a-complete-joke/partners/41091?fbclid=IwAR2ornV8OzHNSkK4X_QSRqmpdo0FyRVo6FU b-03lwejGLEZs-bqp1mBoTyg

The 29-year-old cornerback is entering the final year or his contract and is set to earn a base salary of $7.8 million. The contract's average annual salary of $8.5 million is good for 24th among active corners, not ideal for a guy fresh off his fourth Pro Bowl. He certainly deserves more than what he's made these last couple years, but he now wants to be the highest-paid corner in the league. And that's simply a ridiculously high asking price.

wayninja
04-24-2019, 01:25 PM
Chris Harris' Contract Expectations Are a Complete Joke

https://www.12up.com/posts/6352778-chris-harris-contract-expectations-are-a-complete-joke/partners/41091?fbclid=IwAR2ornV8OzHNSkK4X_QSRqmpdo0FyRVo6FU b-03lwejGLEZs-bqp1mBoTyg

Yep. Dude deserves a bump. Dude does not deserve to be highest paid in the league. It's a silly, selfish ask. He put in his time and has been good for us, but if he just pumped the brakes a bit, both sides could be happy... With this initial offer though, the tone is pretty much set IMO.

BroncoJoe
04-24-2019, 01:30 PM
Yep. Dude deserves a bump. Dude does not deserve to be highest paid in the league. It's a silly, selfish ask. He put in his time and has been good for us, but if he just pumped the brakes a bit, both sides could be happy... With this initial offer though, the tone is pretty much set IMO.

Over his career, he's made over $47M because the Broncos took a flyer on a UDFA, and it literally paid off - for both parties.

To quote Obama (and not making this political, but...) "At a certain point you've made enough money."

Valar Morghulis
04-24-2019, 01:30 PM
Im not sure if they are paying any of it or not but it really has nothing to do with Harris's situation. Lol

I still don't follow.

Flacco must count towards the cap?

The cap must be a consideration when planning any new contract?

If we were not playing flacco, drafted a QB... Would that not potentially free up the money to pay harris?

BroncoJoe
04-24-2019, 01:31 PM
I still don't follow.

If we were not playing flacco, drafted a QB... Would that not potentially free up the money to pay harris?

Pay a 30 year old the highest salary at his position?

Northman
04-24-2019, 01:38 PM
I still don't follow.

I guess the disconnect with you and here is how much Flacco is actually getting paid. He isnt getting paid the same contract he got from Bmore. I dont know the specific numbers but i know its not the same amount which is one of the reasons why Denver traded for him. The reality is Denver probably could pay Harris what he wants but for a 30 year old DB that is too much. Its not about what another player is getting more so about his age and where he is in his career. If i had to be brutally honest, paying Von what we did was probably the biggest mistake made following the SB than any other roster move at this juncture. As much as i love Von he eats up a lot of the cap and for a guy who doesnt play QB thats a lot of dough.

As far as where i want this team to be i could have done without Flacco. I was hoping to draft a QB and let him learn on the fly but again we have to deal with what Elway believes and that is to compete for championships so he apparently felt that Flacco would be a part of that run. Denver may still draft a QB in the first i have no idea, but its hard to argue that if you are going to compete for Super Bowls than spending money (or trading for players) is how you go about doing it. In the end it doesnt matter what you and i think of Joe Flacco, it only matters what the team feels about it and he plays into Denver winning the division, SB, so on.

When it comes to Harris, you would think he would play a part in all that because he is a vet but if his asking price is to much than that can be problematic regardless of who the QB is. You might feel like Harris deserves 15mil a year, but clearly Denver isnt in the same mindset.

VonDoom
04-24-2019, 01:42 PM
https://twitter.com/nickijhabvala/status/1121120259488878592?s=21

SR
04-24-2019, 01:55 PM

I don't think he wants or expects to be the highest paid CB in the league. Asking for that, to me, is a negotiating tactic. He realistically probably expects to be met in the middle around $12M per.

wayninja
04-24-2019, 02:05 PM
I don't think he wants or expects to be the highest paid CB in the league. Asking for that, to me, is a negotiating tactic. He realistically probably expects to be met in the middle around $12M per.

I hope you are right, we'll see if he stands firm on ridiculous demands or is actually willing to negotiate. 12 million I think is still a stretch, but would need to see some details.

CoachChaz
04-24-2019, 02:06 PM

Which I could live with...depending on the length and guaranteed money. I have no desire to have a huge cap hit for a 32 or 33 year old CB.

Dapper Dan
04-24-2019, 02:18 PM
We don’t pay players here. Move along.

Davii
04-24-2019, 02:25 PM
Little late getting back to this, but that's a valid point. I still don't think that he's getting 15m APY. At least not with high guarantees.

Agreed, not in Denver anyhow.

Davii
04-24-2019, 02:27 PM
We don’t pay players here. Move along.

Von Miller would like a word.

MOtorboat
04-24-2019, 02:27 PM
I’m impressed with Harris’s PR game.

Dapper Dan
04-24-2019, 02:32 PM
Von Miller would like a word.

Super Bowl MVPs are a given.

SR
04-24-2019, 02:36 PM
Which I could live with...depending on the length and guaranteed money. I have no desire to have a huge cap hit for a 32 or 33 year old CB.

If it was front-loaded at $12M per over three or four years with no guaranteed money after the second year, or something like that, I'd be perfectly fine with it.

Davii
04-24-2019, 02:38 PM
Super Bowl MVPs are a given.

They're players. Emmanuel and DT also would like to chat, Wolfe is going to count 11 mil against the cap, etc.

This myth that John pays less is just that, a myth. We are up against the cap each year. He isn't cutting people at some ridiculous rate higher than other teams, etc.

Yeah, he's known to lowball people, so is ed very other team and the reality of a salary cap makes it impossible to build a team otherwise

Timmy!
04-24-2019, 02:42 PM
3 years/37 mil, 26 guaranteed (1st 2 years). Neeeeeeext.

CoachChaz
04-24-2019, 02:46 PM
If it was front-loaded at $12M per over three or four years with no guaranteed money after the second year, or something like that, I'd be perfectly fine with it.

Take Kareem Jackson's contract...add 3-4 mil to it and set it up the same way.

broncofaninfla
04-24-2019, 02:59 PM
Wish he would honor his contract and play for $8 million this year but sounds like he's going to force his way out of Denver. Harris is one of my favorite players but no way he's worth $15 mil a year.

Davii
04-24-2019, 03:01 PM
Wish he would honor his contract and play for $8 million this year but sounds like he's going to force his way out of Denver. Harris is one of my favorite players but no way he's worth $15 mil a year.

In his shoes.... I wouldn't play that contract unless I had to. I'd do everything he's doing and if it didn't work I'd play it out and go from there.

However, I'm not going to just give away my leverage and risk a career ending injury without doing everything in my power to get a long term deal.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-24-2019, 03:10 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Broncos are listening to trade offers for cornerback Chris Harris Jr., but the team “won't give him away,’’ a source told 9NEWS.

Perhaps, there is a chance Harris will stay put and play for the Broncos in 2019.

“Oh, yeah, definitely,’’ Harris said in an interview with 9NEWS on Wednesday afternoon. “I want to be here so we can salvage it.’’

Asked how his tenuous relationship with the Broncos can be salvaged, Harris said: “You know

how.”

rest - https://www.9news.com/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/chris-harris-jr-on-broncos-it-can-be-salvaged/73-261d1f73-7b5e-450b-9a8c-2fe9803b6bb6

Poet
04-24-2019, 03:12 PM
Gun to my head - I think we should pay him.

CoachChaz
04-24-2019, 03:21 PM
Gun to my head - I think we should pay him.

We already have two top 10 CB's and a solid youngster. Why shell out that much cash for a luxury???

Poet
04-24-2019, 03:29 PM
We already have two top 10 CB's and a solid youngster. Why shell out that much cash for a luxury???

Cornerbacks aren't a luxury anymore. Last year we already really missed Talib. And I loved the signing of Callahan, but can we count on him having another career year?

SR
04-24-2019, 03:29 PM
Cornerbacks aren't a luxury anymore. Last year we already really missed Talib. And I loved the signing of Callahan, but can we count on him having another career year?

With Fangio there? Yes.

Poet
04-24-2019, 03:32 PM
With Fangio there? Yes.

I miss you.

SR
04-24-2019, 03:34 PM
I miss you.

Then text me once in a while fool!

CoachChaz
04-24-2019, 03:36 PM

I never understand this whole concept of a team being required to have 3 or at least 2 All-Pro level CB's in order to have any success on defense. Was Amukamura an All-Pro for Fangio last year? What about Buffalo's corners on the #1 pass defense? We have talented depth there and if losing from a strength can add to a weakness, we become better overall as a result.

Poet
04-24-2019, 03:39 PM
Then text me once in a while fool!

I shall text you on draft night.

Poet
04-24-2019, 03:41 PM
I never understand this whole concept of a team being required to have 3 or at least 2 All-Pro level CB's in order to have any success on defense. Was Amukamura an All-Pro for Fangio last year? What about Buffalo's corners on the #1 pass defense? We have talented depth there and if losing from a strength can add to a weakness, we become better overall as a result.

I don't think I'm saying it's required. I'm saying its the, or a, strength of the team. Last year I was not in support of cutting bait with Talib, and we missed him last year greatly. Roby was pretty poor last year, too. I don't think you automatically get stronger by getting rid of a great player and putting resources elsewhere.

CoachChaz
04-24-2019, 03:46 PM
I don't think I'm saying it's required. I'm saying its the, or a, strength of the team. Last year I was not in support of cutting bait with Talib, and we missed him last year greatly. Roby was pretty poor last year, too. I don't think you automatically get stronger by getting rid of a great player and putting resources elsewhere.

We found out that Roby benefitted from playing with Talib and Harris...and Harris got hurt...along with a slew of other DB's. I don't think last year is the best year to gauge how things would typically pan out. But even to that point...we went out and spent money on 2 more DB's. A lot of team would love to have ONE top 10 corner...we have 3 of them.

Poet
04-24-2019, 03:52 PM
We found out that Roby benefitted from playing with Talib and Harris...and Harris got hurt...along with a slew of other DB's. I don't think last year is the best year to gauge how things would typically pan out. But even to that point...we went out and spent money on 2 more DB's. A lot of team would love to have ONE top 10 corner...we have 3 of them.

Three great corners and our pass rush is a recipe for a deep playoff push. I'd rather be absolutely brutal in a strength to be honest. And, honestly I really do think we only have one top ten cornerback. Or, at least just one guy who has been a top ten corner more than once.

CoachChaz
04-24-2019, 03:58 PM
Three great corners and our pass rush is a recipe for a deep playoff push. I'd rather be absolutely brutal in a strength to be honest. And, honestly I really do think we only have one top ten cornerback. Or, at least just one guy who has been a top ten corner more than once.

And the other one gets to play the same position...in the same scheme...for the same coaches...as he did when he rated in the top 10. I think we'll be ok either way.

Poet
04-24-2019, 03:59 PM
And the other one gets to play the same position...in the same scheme...for the same coaches...as he did when he rated in the top 10. I think we'll be ok either way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXOE6EQtKcU

SmilinAssasSin27
04-24-2019, 04:17 PM
I still don't follow.

But JE puts a value on each player/position. Flacco has nothing to do with Harris. They are separate entities. JE has never seemed to be willing to overpay simply because he has the extra cash to do so. I believe that's the point that is being made

BeefStew25
04-24-2019, 05:12 PM
Over his career, he's made over $47M because the Broncos took a flyer on a UDFA, and it literally paid off - for both parties.

To quote Obama (and not making this political, but...) "At a certain point you've made enough money."

Some dude in a mud hut thinks you’ve made enough money.

BroncoJoe
04-24-2019, 05:24 PM
Some dude in a mud hut thinks you’ve made enough money.

Probably true, but I think I'd like to live in a mud hut and not have any stress other than hunting for food.

Cugel
04-24-2019, 05:26 PM

Sorry, but this is all wrong. First of all Chris Harris has 4-5 good years left. Champ Bailey for instance played for 15 seasons and retired at age 36. Chris will be 30 this off-season. A new contract would be 4 years, with 3 guaranteed. Baring some dramatic decline in his skills or injury, it's about as sure a thing as a team can get.

You get a top 5 CB who can play inside or out, match-up against the league's top WRs and basically shut them down in single-coverage, and who is a team leader on the field and a great community guy off it. He's as good a CB as you could hope to want.

And Elway is being a total ass-hat in trading him because he doesn't want to pay $15m when he's paying close $30 million total contract to a couple of journeyman CB FAs?

Better to pay Chris Harris $15m than an average annual salary of $11m a year to Kareem Jackson. No wonder he's pissed. Elway went out and gave big contracts to guys he's much better than and won't re-sign Chris after all he's done for this team?

It's flat B.S. man and nothing can justify it.

At some point you have to identify and pay the key performers if you want to retain the loyalty of your locker room. And Elway is just not doing that. And it is a big problem. Inside that locker room they are drawing the appropriate conclusions.

They may not say anything publicly, but every player on that 53 man roster is thinking "I'm going to have to leave town if I want to get paid. Elway is not going to show any loyalty to me, if he won't even pay Chris Harris!"

BroncoJoe
04-24-2019, 05:28 PM
Sorry, but this is all wrong. First of all Chris Harris has 4-5 good years left. Champ Bailey for instance played for 15 seasons and retired at age 36. Chris will be 30 this off-season. A new contract would be 4 years, with 3 guaranteed. Baring some dramatic decline in his skills or injury, it's about as sure a thing as a team can get.

You get a top 5 CB who can play inside or out, match-up against the league's top WRs and basically shut them down in single-coverage, and who is a team leader on the field and a great community guy off it. He's as good a CB as you could hope to want.

And Elway is being a total ass-hat in trading him because he doesn't want to pay $15m when he's paying close $30 million total contract to a couple of journeyman CB FAs?

Better to pay Chris Harris $15m than an average annual salary of $11m a year to Kareem Jackson. No wonder he's pissed. Elway went out and gave big contracts to guys he's much better than and won't re-sign Chris after all he's done for this team?

It's flat B.S. man and nothing can justify it.

At some point you have to identify and pay the key performers if you want to retain the loyalty of your locker room. And Elway is just not doing that. And it is a big problem. Inside that locker room they are drawing the appropriate conclusions.

They may not say anything publicly, but every player on that 53 man roster is thinking "I'm going to have to leave town if I want to get paid. Elway is not going to show any loyalty to me, if he won't even pay Chris Harris!"

He's made nearly $50 million as a UDFA that the Broncos took a chance on. No one (with very few exceptions) is irreplaceable.

Cugel
04-24-2019, 05:28 PM
Probably true, but I think I'd like to live in a mud hut and not have any stress other than hunting for food.

Sure. Until you didn't manage to catch any food that day and had to go hungry. This fan attitude "the players are making so much money that I'm not sympathetic" is just complete and total B.S.

Because billions of people could say that about you!

Besides, where is it written that its perfectly OK for the owners to rake in all the money and screw the players and the fans will support management?

Cugel
04-24-2019, 05:31 PM
He's made nearly $50 million as a UDFA that the Broncos took a chance on. No one (with very few exceptions) is irreplaceable.

And the Bowlen family made a LOT more off Harris' achievements. So what? Chris Harris IS irreplaceable.

At least this season, and probably a lot longer. The Broncos thought they were going to be able to replace Aqib Talib, TJ Ward, Demarcus Ware, Danny Trevathan, and Malik Jackson too, and NONE of them have been adequately replaced.

They could have the #1 Cb in the draft and he might very well not be as good as Chris Harris. He's a top 5 CB in the league which means there are 27 teams that do NOT have a CB as good as Chris Harris. Period. :coffee:

TXBRONC
04-24-2019, 05:37 PM
And the Bowlen family made a LOT more off Harris' achievements. So what? Chris Harris IS irreplaceable.

At least this season, and probably a lot longer. The Broncos thought they were going to be able to replace Aqib Talib, TJ Ward, Demarcus Ware, Danny Trevathan, and Malik Jackson too, and NONE of them have been adequately replaced.

They could have the #1 Cb in the draft and he might very well not be as good as Chris Harris. He's a top 5 CB in the league which means there are 27 teams that do NOT have a CB as good as Chris Harris. Period. :coffee:

That's bunk, no player is irreplaceable. Every play can be and eventually gets replaced. That's aside I hope Denver and Harris can resolve this.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-24-2019, 05:44 PM
San Fran almost traded Montana for Elway. Elway was almost a Redskin until the owner stepped in.

Poet
04-24-2019, 05:52 PM
I think Cugel's point that sure, everyone can be replaced, but we've not had a great track record of doing it. At least not immediately.

BeefStew25
04-24-2019, 07:32 PM
I think Cugel's point that sure, everyone can be replaced, but we've not had a great track record of doing it. At least not immediately.

Moving forward compress his war and peace diatribes.

Poet
04-24-2019, 07:59 PM

I have my role!

Hawgdriver
04-24-2019, 10:20 PM

Good book.

I've been told.

Jsteve01
04-24-2019, 11:06 PM

Doesnt sound very capitalist to me Joe. The guy is a well rounded team leader who like Von olays his best in big games. Nothing wrong with him wantimg fair market. The fact that we were smart enough to pick him up by no means makes him a bad person to want his value

Valar Morghulis
04-24-2019, 11:14 PM
I am usually a strong proponent of the "enough money is enough" argument, but for me the main problem in this case is the lack of love we showed him.

He has taken team friendly deals, and out played his contract every year. He is in the last year of his deal and wanted to extend his contract.

That should have been met with "CHJ is really important to this team, we want him to retire a Broncos as soon as the draft is out the way, we will sit down and get that deal done" or words to that effect..... Instead he got "meh"

Probably one of the first occasions I support a player in his demands.... Because in this case I don't blame him.

Got to do a better job of making people feel valued. IMO

Jsteve01
04-24-2019, 11:18 PM
I am usually a strong proponent of the "enough money is enough" argument, but for me the main problem in this case is the lack of love we showed him.

He has taken team friendly deals, and out played his contract every year. He is in the last year of his deal and wanted to extend his contract.

That should have been met with "CHJ is really important to this team, we want him to retire a Broncos as soon as the draft is out the way, we will sit down and get that deal done" or words to that effect..... Instead he got "meh"

Probably one of the first occasions I support a player in his demands.... Because in this case I don't blame him.

I think John is forgetting how he felt toward Reeves when Dan was drafting young Qbs and passing on receivers like Pickens.

Jsteve01
04-24-2019, 11:21 PM
Kinger where have you been? I love draft time. War and i have bdays on sunday. Adds to my love haha

Poet
04-24-2019, 11:32 PM
Kinger where have you been? I love draft time. War and i have bdays on sunday. Adds to my love haha

I needed some time to focus on school and eating.

Timmy!
04-24-2019, 11:52 PM

I get it but we did show him some love writing in special incentives in his contract last year. He could have earned an extra 3 mil, but only saw 500k of it I think. He has been underpaid yes. Be signed his deal. I don't blame him one bit for exercising all his leverage on what will be the biggest contract of his life. He signed the team friendly deal and is now playing hardball. I think he does want to be in Denver. I think a deal might well get done at around 13mil per. However, to say Broncos showed him no love is false.

MOtorboat
04-25-2019, 12:23 AM
I’m fascinated by the PR game here. Broncos, clearly losing.

https://twitter.com/chrisharrisjr/status/1121230997490753537?s=21

For the record, I’m not saying this means anything. It doesn’t. Some intern got told he/she could make an Avengers poster and just flat forgot about Harris ... it’s just kinda funny.

Hawgdriver
04-25-2019, 12:27 AM
I’m fascinated by the PR game here. Broncos, clearly losing.

It's pissing me off. He's my adopted one.

Yeah, he's winning it ain't close.

Northman
04-25-2019, 12:35 AM
Harris is only missing because Thanos erased his ass. Lmao

Hawgdriver
04-25-2019, 12:48 AM
Was Thanos one of the DBs we signed?

Northman
04-25-2019, 12:50 AM
Was Thanos one of the DBs we signed?

No, his real name is John Elway.

Hawgdriver
04-25-2019, 12:51 AM
No, his real name is John Elway.

Thanos = Elway?! I didn't see that twist coming.

dogfish
04-25-2019, 01:09 AM
hopefully, he'll be sensible, and settle for somewhere between "highest paid DB in the league" and "more than kareem jackson". . . that feels fair-- get 'er done. . . for a team that wants-- and needs-- to win with defense, chris is kinda f***in' important. . .

:defense:

BroncoWave
04-25-2019, 01:17 AM

Elway is trying way too hard to be BB. It kinda sucks honestly.

Simple Jaded
04-25-2019, 02:39 AM
Wave, If Elway is trying to be Belicheat this is the right situation to emulate because Harris is ******, he has to show up.

Using the Franchise Tag The Broncos can control him on a year-to-year basis through the next 3 seasons, assuming he’s worth the Tag, and that’s ideal considering his age. They could even choose to control him the 4th year if he’s playing out of his mind in year 3, but that’s when the Tag gets astronomical.

There is absolutely zero reason to cave into CHJ request.

Valar Morghulis
04-25-2019, 02:43 AM
Wave, If Elway is trying to be Belicheat this is the right situation to emulate because Harris is ******, he has to show up.

Using the Franchise Tag The Broncos can control him on a year-to-year basis through the next 3 seasons, that’s ideal considering his age. They could even choose to control him the 4th year if he’s playing out of his mind in year 3, but that’s when the Tag gets astronomical.

If it was only harris decision like this impacted I would agree..... But the way we look after our players impacts our reputation as a franchise.

Who in their right mind would take another team friendly deal in Denver? CHJ has been one of the best corners in the league for about five years....i am not saying pay him 15 million......i am saying we should never have got to this position and it should have been resolved before the pr war started..... Resolved either way (traded or resigned)

Simple Jaded
04-25-2019, 02:52 AM
If it was only harris decision like this impacted I would agree..... But the way we look after our players impacts our reputation as a franchise.

Who in their right mind would take another team friendly deal in Denver? CHJ has been one of the best corners in the league for about five years....i am not saying pay him 15 million......i am saying we should never have got to this position and it should have been resolved before the pr war started..... Resolved either way (traded or resigned)

Hate to break it to ya but the Broncos (Elway specifically) already has that reputation.

As for Harris, if the Broncos Tag him next season he’ll get the money he’s asking for, just not the security ... to quote Elway “ya know what? That’s too bad”

I love the idea of going Year-to-Year with a 30-year-old CB, I hope that’s the direction this goes.

Cugel
04-25-2019, 05:07 AM

Using the Franchise Tag The Broncos can control him on a year-to-year basis through the next 3 seasons, assuming he’s worth the Tag, and that’s ideal considering his age. They could even choose to control him the 4th year if he’s playing out of his mind in year 3, but that’s when the Tag gets astronomical.

Bull shit. There are a LOT of reasons!

#1 - You are in a division with Pat Mahomes who threw 50 TDs last year. What would be a great season for Joe Flacco? 25 TDs? About 1/2? The Broncos are hopelessly outclassed in their division offensively. The Raiders still have Derek Carr and added Antonio Brown. Who the hell is going to cover him? Kareem Jackson the mediocre? Good luck with that! :coffee:

So the ONLY way they have any chance to win this division or even get to the playoffs is to have an elite defense, because even if Flacco has a good season for him they still have the worst QB in the division.

#2 - It makes zero sense to pay Chris Harris if you are a rebuilding team. Last year the Raiders decided they were rebuilding, so they traded their two best players Cooper and Mack. Now they have 3 first round picks and can rebuild.

#3 - John Elway has decided that this team is NOT "rebuilding." Instead, they are trying to "win now." Joe Flacco isn't an old and washed up QB who lost his job to a rookie who can't throw a forward pass. He's "in his prime." Elway went out in FA and signed a bunch of high priced veterans including the highest paid RT in football, to fill a bunch of holes, and who can help him "win now."

#4 - Well, if they are going to "win now" then they need Chris Harris this year. They have TWO elite all-pro caliber players on their entire roster - Harris and Von. That's it. None on offense. They have some other GOOD players like Derek Wolfe but only two elite players.

So, they draft a CB with the #10 pick? Maybe in 2 or 3 years he turns out to be as good as Chris Harris. Maybe. 27 Teams in this league do NOT have 1 CB as good as Harris.

#5 - Well, he's under contract so screw him? You can't disrespect a veteran leader on your team like that and expect the players to just be fine with it. It shows a total lack of understanding.
But, to screw one of your best players who has done nothing but be outstanding his entire career because he wants to be paid sends a very clear and brutal message to the entire locker room.

"We will pay top $ for FA but we won't pay our own players what they are worth in order to keep them."

It shows ZERO loyalty. Well, the Patriots can get away with acting like scumbags like that because they have Tom Brady. The rest of their team really isn't that important and can be replaced as long as they have Tom. Teams without Tom Brady cannot get away with that crap and shouldn't try.

BTW the franchise tag would be around $14m next year, so that wouldn't help them avoid overpaying for Harris.

BroncoJoe
04-25-2019, 06:37 AM
Doesnt sound very capitalist to me Joe. The guy is a well rounded team leader who like Von olays his best in big games. Nothing wrong with him wantimg fair market. The fact that we were smart enough to pick him up by no means makes him a bad person to want his value

Let's be clear: I'm all for him getting everything he can while still playing.

My loyalty is with the Broncos, and not a player though. It's not like they've been ripping him off.

SR
04-25-2019, 08:10 AM
Bull shit. There are a LOT of reasons!

#1 - You are in a division with Pat Mahomes who threw 50 TDs last year. What would be a great season for Joe Flacco? 25 TDs? About 1/2? The Broncos are hopelessly outclassed in their division offensively. The Raiders still have Derek Carr and added Antonio Brown. Who the hell is going to cover him? Kareem Jackson the mediocre? Good luck with that! :coffee:

So the ONLY way they have any chance to win this division or even get to the playoffs is to have an elite defense, because even if Flacco has a good season for him they still have the worst QB in the division.

#2 - It makes zero sense to pay Chris Harris if you are a rebuilding team. Last year the Raiders decided they were rebuilding, so they traded their two best players Cooper and Mack. Now they have 3 first round picks and can rebuild.

#3 - John Elway has decided that this team is NOT "rebuilding." Instead, they are trying to "win now." Joe Flacco isn't an old and washed up QB who lost his job to a rookie who can't throw a forward pass. He's "in his prime." Elway went out in FA and signed a bunch of high priced veterans including the highest paid RT in football, to fill a bunch of holes, and who can help him "win now."

#4 - Well, if they are going to "win now" then they need Chris Harris this year. They have TWO elite all-pro caliber players on their entire roster - Harris and Von. That's it. None on offense. They have some other GOOD players like Derek Wolfe but only two elite players.

So, they draft a CB with the #10 pick? Maybe in 2 or 3 years he turns out to be as good as Chris Harris. Maybe. 27 Teams in this league do NOT have 1 CB as good as Harris.

#5 - Well, he's under contract so screw him? You can't disrespect a veteran leader on your team like that and expect the players to just be fine with it. It shows a total lack of understanding.
But, to screw one of your best players who has done nothing but be outstanding his entire career because he wants to be paid sends a very clear and brutal message to the entire locker room.

"We will pay top $ for FA but we won't pay our own players what they are worth in order to keep them."

It shows ZERO loyalty. Well, the Patriots can get away with acting like scumbags like that because they have Tom Brady. The rest of their team really isn't that important and can be replaced as long as they have Tom. Teams without Tom Brady cannot get away with that crap and shouldn't try.

BTW the franchise tag would be around $14m next year, so that wouldn't help them avoid overpaying for Harris.

Maybe wait until after you post to drink a gallon of coffee?

Freyaka
04-25-2019, 08:50 AM
Bye, Chris.

We're bungling things left and right though Davii. They tweeted out an avengers style "We are Broncos" photo that included a bunch of star players, but not Harris, he noticed it, called it out and they backtracked, apologize and added him to the photo.

It could still be fixed, but man it ain't looking good.

Davii
04-25-2019, 08:56 AM
We're bungling things left and right though Davii. They tweeted out an avengers style "We are Broncos" photo that included a bunch of star players, but not Harris, he noticed it, called it out and they backtracked, apologize and added him to the photo.

It could still be fixed, but man it ain't looking good.

It's definitely looking worse. I saw that Avenger photo thing, no doubt we're losing the PR battle.

Freyaka
04-25-2019, 08:56 AM
Hate to break it to ya but the Broncos (Elway specifically) already has that reputation.

As for Harris, if the Broncos Tag him next season he’ll get the money he’s asking for, just not the security ... to quote Elway “ya know what? That’s too bad”

I love the idea of going Year-to-Year with a 30-year-old CB, I hope that’s the direction this goes.

That's a dick move and it will make me lose a hell of a lot of respect for this team.

Freyaka
04-25-2019, 08:57 AM
It's definitely looking worse. I saw that Avenger photo thing, no doubt we're losing the PR battle.

Yup, not a good look for us and really this is going to do a number on our FO already crappy reputation if we continue to bungle this.

BeefStew25
04-25-2019, 09:18 AM
A twitter pic means nothing. Absolutely nothing.

BroncoWave
04-25-2019, 09:32 AM
A twitter pic means nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Harris seemed to think it meant something.

BeefStew25
04-25-2019, 09:36 AM
Harris seemed to think it meant something.

And he’s wrong. Do you think that will be brought up in negotiations?

BeefStew25
04-25-2019, 09:37 AM
Guys you left me off your twitter pic. The number is now $16 million.

Valar Morghulis
04-25-2019, 09:37 AM
Guys you left me off your twitter pic. The number is now $16 million.

It might make him reject 11

Davii
04-25-2019, 09:39 AM
Yup, not a good look for us and really this is going to do a number on our FO already crappy reputation if we continue to bungle this.

I think our reputation is overstated. We're no different than just about every other team without a Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Aaron Rodgers to play with and lure free agents.

BeefStew25
04-25-2019, 09:39 AM
It might make him reject 11

No it won’t. Because some intern nerd left him off? Online isn’t real life. And Harris isn’t so shallow for that to matter.

BeefStew25
04-25-2019, 09:40 AM
“Guys I like the offer but you left me off your fake avenger poster. Trade me.”

Valar Morghulis
04-25-2019, 09:51 AM
I don't know why you assume humans are so rational

BroncoWave
04-25-2019, 10:02 AM
I don't know why you assume humans are so rational

Especially a human form the generation most obsessed with social media.

BroncoWave
04-25-2019, 10:22 AM
“Guys I like the offer but you left me off your fake avenger poster. Trade me.”

Stop being so obtuse. No one is saying this. Obviously this one tweet won't make or break the negotiations. But the sum total of all the little perceived sights here and there can add up over time and absolutely have an impact on his decision. If the tweet were literally the only thing you'd be right. But it seems from the outside looking in that things have been progressing to lead him to this point, and the tweet is just another thing to add to the pile. Will that be the breaking point? Probably not. But it's certainly not helpful when you're already dealing with a player who doesn't exactly feel appreciated.

BroncoJoe
04-25-2019, 10:26 AM
Stop being so obtuse. No one is saying this. Obviously this one tweet won't make or break the negotiations. But the sum total of all the little perceived sights here and there can add up over time and absolutely have an impact on his decision. If the tweet were literally the only thing you'd be right. But it seems from the outside looking in that things have been progressing to lead him to this point, and the tweet is just another thing to add to the pile. Will that be the breaking point? Probably not. But it's certainly not helpful when you're already dealing with a player who doesn't exactly feel appreciated.

He's been given 50 million reasons to feel appreciated (including this season, if he plays).

Davii
04-25-2019, 10:31 AM

Partially agree, but let's also not make believe Chris will be negotiating. If his agent (who shouldn't be emotional) tells him he should take a deal he probably will.

I hope it gets done, but I'm honestly not optimistic anymore.

BroncoWave
04-25-2019, 10:32 AM
He's been given 50 million reasons to feel appreciated (including this season, if he plays).

I'm not arguing whether or not his feelings are justified. But justified or not they clearly exist. And pouring more gas on that fire isn't exactly the best strategy from the Broncos perspective.

BroncoWave
04-25-2019, 10:34 AM
Partially agree, but let's also not make believe Chris will be negotiating. If his agent (who shouldn't be emotional) tells him he should take a deal he probably will.

I hope it gets done, but I'm honestly not optimistic anymore.

Very fair point. It could perhaps get to a point, though, where he'll tell his agent he's done negotiating here and will only accept a trade. I hope it doesn't get to that point, but I don't think it's off the table.

BeefStew25
04-25-2019, 10:56 AM
So Harris is an emo retard?