PDA

View Full Version : A few new rules

Spiritguy
03-27-2019, 12:22 PM
A couple of new rules passed just recently. There is more to both stories at the links.

The NFL owners voted on Tuesday evening to approve a rule proposal that allows for offensive and defensive pass interference, including non-calls, to be subject to review.

Coaches can challenge those calls in the first 28 minutes of each half. In the final two minutes of each half, those calls will be subject to a booth review.

This rule change is only for the 2019 season.

Owners passed the provision, 31-1, at the Annual League Meeting in Phoenix on Tuesday night. The Cincinnati Bengals (http://www.nfl.com/teams/cincinnatibengals/profile?team=CIN) were the lone team to vote against pass interference replay reviews, sources told NFL Network's Mike Garafolo.

Coaches will still have only two challenge flags.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001024371/article/owners-make-pass-interference-noncalls-reviewable

The other one I saw is this.

The rule changes for the 2019 NFL season are starting to come out from the Annual League Meetings in Phoenix, and safety is in mind.

NFL owners voted to eliminate blindside blocks, which the league defines as a foul "if a player initiates a block when he is moving toward or parallel to his own end line and makes contact to his opponent with his helmet, forearm or shoulder."

The league points out that one-third of all concussions suffered by players on punts were caused by blindside blocks.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001024314/article/league-owners-vote-to-eliminate-blindside-blocks

Tbolt
03-27-2019, 06:20 PM
They can now all but guarantee the outcome of games now.

BroncoWave
03-27-2019, 06:29 PM
They can now all but guarantee the outcome of games now.

How so?

Tbolt
03-28-2019, 08:58 AM
By making a judgement call reviewable and the no blindside blocking at all. Look for these calls to be made at opportune times. The PI especially when a team needs a boost late. Sure say don’t foul. Was that roughing the passer when that KC guy touched Brady’s shoulder?

BroncoWave
03-28-2019, 09:04 AM
By making a judgement call reviewable and the no blindside blocking at all. Look for these calls to be made at opportune times. The PI especially when a team needs a boost late. Sure say don’t foul. Was that roughing the passer when that KC guy touched Brady’s shoulder?

"Don't foul" is the right answer. If you don't want the game to be decided because you got away with PI, it was challenged and overturned, then don't commit PI.

Your last example was the perfect one. With these rules, KC could have challenged that clearly bad call and gotten the proper result.

Spiritguy
03-28-2019, 09:41 AM
Should be interesting to see how the HC's choose to use their flags now. They have these new options but no additional flags.

BroncoWave
03-28-2019, 09:47 AM
Should be interesting to see how the HC's choose to use their flags now. They have these new options but no additional flags.

Which I think was the perfect way to address it. No one wants the game stopped for every little thing to be looked at. But now that coaches have this at their disposal, maybe they'll think twice before challenging over a couple of yards in the first quarter.

Tbolt
03-28-2019, 03:21 PM
"Don't foul" is the right answer. If you don't want the game to be decided because you got away with PI, it was challenged and overturned, then don't commit PI.

Your last example was the perfect one. With these rules, KC could have challenged that clearly bad call and gotten the proper result.

Ummmm no. That play is still not reviewable. Actually I think it was KC that made the suggestion of a rule change to challenge flags like that but it didn't pass.

Any contact, even if initiated by the WR can draw a flag during the play or on review. The Defense almost always is the guilty party regardless, so prepare for some BS outcomes with this rule. Very few will be as clear cut as that Rams/Saints example. I'll bet they would not have overturned what should have been PI against the Ravens in the playoffs a few years back. Your relying on impartial discretion, and I have seen the league bring a heavy hand to those teams that are not...preferred the last couple of years. This just gives them another tool to generate the storylines they want to promote.

Davii
03-28-2019, 03:39 PM
Ummmm no. That play is still not reviewable. Actually I think it was KC that made the suggestion of a rule change to challenge flags like that but it didn't pass.

Any contact, even if initiated by the WR can draw a flag during the play or on review. The Defense almost always is the guilty party regardless, so prepare for some BS outcomes with this rule. Very few will be as clear cut as that Rams/Saints example. I'll bet they would not have overturned what should have been PI against the Ravens in the playoffs a few years back. Your relying on impartial discretion, and I have seen the league bring a heavy hand to those teams that are not...preferred the last couple of years. This just gives them another tool to generate the storylines they want to promote.

So.... why do you watch if you truly believe it's fixed?

Why not watch re-runs of Wrestlemania?