PDA

View Full Version : Broncos sign CB Bryce Callahan

HORSEPOWER 56
03-16-2019, 05:01 AM
Didn’t see it posted yet. Broncos have signed Bryce Callahan 3 yrs, $21 mil, $10 mil guaranteed. Reunited with The Godfather.

Dapper Dan
03-16-2019, 05:30 AM
I hear he’s pretty good.

slim
03-16-2019, 06:26 AM
Nice. Two solid additions to the corner position.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-16-2019, 09:00 AM
Yeah they did

atwater27
03-16-2019, 09:07 AM
It’s hard to get too excited long term because of his age, but he could shore up the slot for a couple of seasons.

slim
03-16-2019, 09:18 AM
It’s hard to get too excited long term because of his age, but he could shore up the slot for a couple of seasons.

He's 27

:noidea:

Shazam!
03-16-2019, 09:25 AM

He's 27

:noidea:

I woulda though Jackson play the slot and safety

atwater27
03-16-2019, 09:25 AM
He's 27

:noidea:i swear I read an article about him that said he was 31. Ok cool now I can be officially stoked about the signing.

atwater27
03-16-2019, 09:30 AM
I woulda though Jackson play the slot and safety

PRo football focus has Callahan rated as one of the top slot corners in the league. I have also read that Chris Harris wants to and is willing to play outside corner. Kareem can play 3 positions as well. At the very least we have tons of options and flexibility in the secondary

Jsteve01
03-16-2019, 09:32 AM
Pff top ten cb last year. Great signing

DenBronx
03-16-2019, 09:34 AM
So we now have 3 of the leagues top 10 CBs? Our pass rushers are gonna go ham!

Jsteve01
03-16-2019, 09:39 AM
Holland for 7 or 8 sacks this year would be tasty

VonDoom
03-16-2019, 09:58 AM
Here's some Callahan from a conference cal this morning:

Troy Renck
‏Verified account @TroyRenck
7m7 minutes ago

#Broncos Callahan. "The Broncos were always my top pick bc of Fangio. I am comfortable in the system. I can just get in and go." #Denver7

Nicki Jhabvala
‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala
6m6 minutes ago

Callahan: "Coach Vic knows how to call the right plays. He has us in the right position. He really makes it easy for us."

Mike Klis
‏Verified account @MikeKlis
7m7 minutes ago

Bryce Callahan on conference call with Denver media said his teammate at Rice, Jordan "Sunshine" Taylor, gave good report on Broncos and city. #9sports

Nicki Jhabvala
‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala
7m7 minutes ago

Bryce Callahan on @ChrisHarrisJr: "When I was in Chicago, he's who I tried to model my stuff after."

Troy Renck
5m5 minutes ago

#Broncos Callahan, said, "For sure, I modeled myself after @ChrisHarrisJr. We were both eighth-rounders." Said of the D, "Vic's defense is versatile. well-rounded, pressures, the whole thing,"" #Denver7

Andrew Mason
‏Verified account @MaseDenver
5m5 minutes ago

Bryce Callahan said he got some scans back on the foot he injured last season, and says he’s doing “great” ... and rehab is “going great.”

Mike Klis
‏Verified account @MikeKlis
4m4 minutes ago

Callahan asked if excited to go up against likes of Antonio Brown, Keenan Allen, Mike Williams in AFC West: "Hell yeah." #9sports

Troy Renck
4m4 minutes ago

#Broncos Callahan said rehab on his foot is "going great." Excited about joining Jackson and Harris. "I have been seeing a lot about the No Fly Zone 2.0 on social media, I feel like we can make our own thing." #Denver7

Denver Native (Carol)
03-16-2019, 10:27 AM
Troy Renck
5m5 minutes ago

Are we seeing No Fly Zone 2.0? Perhaps. #Broncos Callahan brings edge. Asked if he's ready to face the top AFC West receivers, he blurted, "Hell yeah." My #Denver7 story on Callahan and return of Zach Kerr. http://bit.ly/2Hywrmu

TXBRONC
03-16-2019, 11:47 AM
i swear I read an article about him that said he was 31. Ok cool now I can be officially stoked about the signing.

It happens.

Nomad
03-16-2019, 12:59 PM
Glad to see the secondary getting shored up. White, Lock, or Hockosen at #10. No need to draft a CB now at #10.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-16-2019, 01:10 PM
Still really like Lonnie Johnson in round 3 or so.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-16-2019, 01:18 PM
I also could deal with Love from Notre Dame. 1 more nice CB helps with injuries and any issues with the contract negotiations.

Nomad
03-16-2019, 01:19 PM
You must really like Ronnie Johnson to post it twice. :D

OrangeHoof
03-16-2019, 04:18 PM
https://media.apnarm.net.au/media/images/2017/05/29/dirtyharry_055pyxurz-d8tbt4fbkf6sd1pibo2_ct677x380.jpg

Callahan!

DenBronx
03-16-2019, 07:10 PM
Glad to see the secondary getting shored up. White, Lock, or Hockosen at #10. No need to draft a CB now at #10.

Hockosen would be an interesting pick. They say he’s alot like Travis Kelce. I like Drew Lock too but I’m not so sure the Broncos are sold on him.

This is the year I hope we trade down. 2020/2021 we are supposed to have alot of cap room. The QB class is going to be �� �� �� in 2021. Trevor Lawrence anyone? We should start stock piling picks and just trade the farm in 2021.

Nomad
03-16-2019, 07:23 PM
Hockosen would be an interesting pick. They say he’s alot like Travis Kelce. I like Drew Lock too but I’m not so sure the Broncos are sold on him.

This is the year I hope we trade down. 2020/2021 we are supposed to have alot of cap room. The QB class is going to be �� �� �� in 2021. Trevor Lawrence anyone? We should start stock piling picks and just trade the farm in 2021.

I'd only be disappointed if White is at 10, and the Broncos pass on him.

I see zero chance of Lawrence being a Bronco.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-16-2019, 08:05 PM
As a whole, the 2020 class will be better than 2021. Tua, Herbert, Fromm, Eason and the Stanford kid could all be top 20 picks. Obviously things could change, but I don't see much more than Lawrence so far for 21.

I do strongly support trading back this year IF White is gone. I would be ok with Jonah Williams too though. Some word that he'd be a tremendous Guard.

DenBronx
03-16-2019, 08:11 PM
I'd only be disappointed if White is at 10, and the Broncos pass on him.

I see zero chance of Lawrence being a Bronco.

Two years away and alot can change by then.

Nomad
03-16-2019, 08:16 PM
Two years away and alot can change by then.

I cant see Broncos picking #1 ever.

Simple Jaded
03-17-2019, 12:21 AM
As a whole, the 2020 class will be better than 2021. Tua, Herbert, Fromm, Eason and the Stanford kid could all be top 20 picks. Obviously things could change, but I don't see much more than Lawrence so far for 21.

I do strongly support trading back this year IF White is gone. I would be ok with Jonah Williams too though. Some word that he'd be a tremendous Guard.

I think they’re saying some teams see him as a guard, he’d be a G in Denver that has the option of moving to LT someday.

But I thoroughly believe in the rumor that Elway refuses to draft Bama players and I’m cool if Williams isn’t on their board.

I like Cody Ford for G and RT, Risner for RT, C or G, I like this OL class. It’s just a good thing they don’t need a starting T.

Cugel
03-18-2019, 10:10 AM
Well, CB went from the biggest need on the team to an afterthought. They could take a CB in the third round or later to groom for a couple of years but it's not a need for an immediate starter.

Now their #1 need is OG or TE or DE or ILB.

TXBRONC
03-18-2019, 03:17 PM
Well, CB went from the biggest need on the team to an afterthought. They could take a CB in the third round or later to groom for a couple of years but it's not a need for an immediate starter.

Now their #1 need is OG or TE or DE or ILB.

How is defensive end a top need?

tomjonesrocks
03-18-2019, 05:20 PM

Another corner at 10 with 3 of the top 10 corners per PFT last season on the roster?

kenoy28
03-18-2019, 07:19 PM
So we now have 3 of the leagues top 10 CBs? Our pass rushers are gonna go ham!

Not sure--I think as it stands, we are going to get shredded up the middle by running backs and tight ends. We have a hole at safety, and a massive hole at Inside Linebacker.

CoachChaz
03-19-2019, 08:47 AM
Not sure--I think as it stands, we are going to get shredded up the middle by running backs and tight ends. We have a hole at safety, and a massive hole at Inside Linebacker.

I'm holding off on saying we have a hole at safety. I think Cravens and Carter have the kind of skill set that could work really well in a Fangio defense. Especially if they allow Simmons to actually play his position. A lot is going to depend on their desire and health, but if they are able...I think that spot may actually be a strength. Especially of Yiadom progresses and Jackson can slide to safety in certain packages.

But, I will agree on ILB. I like Jewell, but we need one of the Devin's at #10 to solidify that spot. I'm happy with either one.

TXBRONC
03-19-2019, 09:12 AM
I'm holding off on saying we have a hole at safety. I think Cravens and Carter have the kind of skill set that could work really well in a Fangio defense. Especially if they allow Simmons to actually play his position. A lot is going to depend on their desire and health, but if they are able...I think that spot may actually be a strength. Especially of Yiadom progresses and Jackson can slide to safety in certain packages.

But, I will agree on ILB. I like Jewell, but we need one of the Devin's at #10 to solidify that spot. I'm happy with either one.

I was listening Mason about four or five days ago and talking Bush and White in his view there isn't a big difference between the two. He said White is a little taller and a little faster but other than that the differences are negligible. One person on said White is much better coverage if that is accurate then I would take White first but I wouldn't get in a huff about taking Bush.

I just read a little story and said that White was little faster as well as being a little taller.

Buff
03-19-2019, 10:01 AM
Didn't Cravens get benched despite being healthy at the end of last season? Are we actually expecting anything out of him at this point?

CoachChaz
03-19-2019, 10:18 AM
Didn't Cravens get benched despite being healthy at the end of last season? Are we actually expecting anything out of him at this point?

Do you remember the coaching staff that benched him? That said, I don't hold any expectations, but I do know his skill set and versatility matches up with what Fangio likes to do.

CoachChaz
03-19-2019, 10:30 AM
I was listening Mason about four or five days ago and talking Bush and White in his view there isn't a big difference between the two. He said White is a little taller and a little faster but other than that the differences are negligible. One person on said White is much better coverage if that is accurate then I would take White first but I wouldn't get in a huff about taking Bush.

I just read a little story and said that White was little faster as well as being a little taller.

White ran a 4.42 compared to the 4.43 that Bush ran. If we want to call that "faster"...OK. Add White is 6'0" compared to Bush at 5'11", but...Bush negates that with a higher vertical. Beyond that, their arms and hands are pretty much the same size. In fact...almost all of their combine numbers are exactly the same.

I don't think there is a huge difference between the two at all. If White is Plan A1, then Bush is just fine being Plan A2. My opinion.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-19-2019, 12:45 PM
functional strength is the clear difference. Bush has more trouble getting off blocks and moving through the messes. White has shown no such weakness.

TXBRONC
03-19-2019, 12:55 PM
White ran a 4.42 compared to the 4.43 that Bush ran. If we want to call that "faster"...OK. Add White is 6'0" compared to Bush at 5'11", but...Bush negates that with a higher vertical. Beyond that, their arms and hands are pretty much the same size. In fact...almost all of their combine numbers are exactly the same.

I don't think there is a huge difference between the two at all. If White is Plan A1, then Bush is just fine being Plan A2. My opinion.

That sounds good to me.

TXBRONC
03-19-2019, 12:59 PM
functional strength is the clear difference. Bush has more trouble getting off blocks and moving through the messes. White has shown no such weakness.

It seem White struggles at least to some degree with shedding blocks according to some clips I have seen and things I have read.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-19-2019, 01:20 PM
It seem White struggles at least to some degree with shedding blocks according to some clips I have seen and things I have read.

A few outlets have listed that as the main difference between the 2.

CoachChaz
03-19-2019, 01:27 PM
A few outlets have listed that as the main difference between the 2.

I'm not one to argue with "experts", but I think shedding blocks is something that ANY ILB can have issues with. My opinion, both of them have their moments when they have issues...but for different reasons. I'll call it a wash

Jsteve01
03-19-2019, 09:51 PM
I agree with all of this coach and I've been saying it since prior to the combine. Bush's performance at the combine only solidified that for me and he also looked a little bit better and positional drills to me. I would say white is slightly better in pass coverage and Bush is definitely better blitzing.

Cugel
03-20-2019, 01:45 PM

I'd agree 100%. That is right now the #1 need on the team, other than an elite pass-catching TE, and I'm not sure there's a value pick at TE at #10. ILB would be a great catch, but both Devins may be gone by #10, so they have to look at DL and OT too.

If neither Devin is there, they should consider trading back a bit and adding draft picks. They need a developmental Qb somewhere in rounds 2-7 as well.

Simple Jaded
03-20-2019, 11:19 PM

Cravens is a better fit at ILB than Jewell, imo, Jewell is not the athlete that Woods needed, much less Fangio.

Buff
03-21-2019, 12:13 AM
Cravens is a better fit at ILB than Jewell, imo, Jewell is not the athlete that Woods needed, much less Fangio.

I'll take a an unathletic guy with an impeccable work ethic and a history of production like Jewell over a super athletic guy who is a head case with no history of production like Cravens.

Simple Jaded
03-21-2019, 12:18 AM
I'll take a an unathletic guy with an impeccable work ethic and a history of production like Jewell over a super athletic guy who is a head case with no history of production like Cravens.

Jewell has a history of production?

Buff
03-21-2019, 12:23 AM

In college. Seemed to be relatively productive last year. Cravens is dead weight.

Simple Jaded
03-21-2019, 12:23 AM
Btw, I said Cravens fits better and he does.

I don’t like Jewell’s attitude.

Simple Jaded
03-21-2019, 12:24 AM
In college. Seemed to be relatively productive last year. Cravens is dead weight.
Cravens had production in college ... I think. He started at LB as a rookie.

Hawgdriver
03-21-2019, 12:24 AM
I don’t like Jewell’s attitude.

Needs support.

Simple Jaded
03-21-2019, 12:27 AM
Needs support.

Needs constant scratching, too high maintenance.

Buff
03-21-2019, 12:28 AM
Cravens had production in college ... I think. He started at LB as a rookie.

I'm fine with playing him at LB since he apparently can't play safety.

The Redskins couldn't wait to get rid of him. He couldn't get on the field for our shit defense last year, even in garbage time. I've got less than zero expectations for him. If he exceeds those I'll be thrilled.

Hawgdriver
03-21-2019, 12:30 AM
Needs constant scratching, too high maintenance.

Pulling starter snaps should scratch the itch, no?

Simple Jaded
03-21-2019, 12:35 AM
I'm fine with playing him at LB since he apparently can't play safety.

The Redskins couldn't wait to get rid of him. He couldn't get on the field for our shit defense last year, even in garbage time. I've got less than zero expectations for him. If he exceeds those I'll be thrilled.

I’m Not counting on him either, I’ve been dreaming of CJ Mosley with Devin White for over a year. That’s where my thinking is at.

He is an option though, or, he may not even make the team.

Simple Jaded
03-21-2019, 12:42 AM
Pulling starter snaps should scratch the itch, no?

Are we still talking about testicles?

MOtorboat
03-21-2019, 12:43 AM
Wait. Someone dislikes Jewell?

Elevation inc
03-21-2019, 06:57 AM
Wait. Someone dislikes Jewell?

Jewell is a instinctive LB who allowed himself to get washed out a bit to much last year for my liking. Marshall had the same problem after losing the weight he did with getting washed out as well....They both were issues in the run game. Jewell being a rookie had some issues in coverage as well.....However he is a rookie that showed some flashes (so maybe its just a rookie thing)coaching was a issue to..this was made even worse by horrible safety play from Stewart....Davis is great where he is. He is a leader and a thumper and great against the run which a 3-4 ILB should be. However a guy like Bush would absolutely relegate Jewell to a back-up role which is fine. He was good draft pick overall and played substantial starter snaps as a rookie but he also has some learning and growing to do. I think bush is a option if we trade back, and I no longer believe white will be available at 10. I like Davis at ILB a lot, he gets hated on more then he deserves. If Jewell cant improve over last year though, we either need to have a plan in the draft this year or a scheme plan to compensate.

TXBRONC
03-21-2019, 07:49 AM

So you'll take a guy who sneezes and end up on IR? No thanks.

Jsteve01
03-21-2019, 09:05 PM
Like I said last night. The difference between the two bushes is marginal. White is definitely better in pass protection and Bush is definitely better at Rushing the passer. But they're both good across the board. And one b in Devin Bush would be totally acceptable for me.

TXBRONC
03-22-2019, 07:48 AM
Like I said last night. The difference between the two bushes is marginal. White is definitely better in pass protection and Bush is definitely better at Rushing the passer. But they're both good across the board. And one b in Devin Bush would be totally acceptable for me.

I feel much the same way. White or Bush would be fine. If push comes to shove and both were available I probably go with White.

Simple Jaded
03-22-2019, 10:00 PM
So you'll take a guy who sneezes and end up on IR? No thanks.

I’ll take you over Jewell.

Simple Jaded
03-22-2019, 10:04 PM
Take White in the 1st round and Bush in the 2nd, trade Jewell and Davis to Rams for five 1st round picks.

Jsteve01
03-23-2019, 01:25 AM
Take White in the 1st round and Bush in the 2nd, trade Jewell and Davis to Rams for five 1st round picks.

Madden and cocaine are crazy mix jaded

Simple Jaded
03-23-2019, 01:27 AM
Madden and cocaine are crazy mix jaded

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Simple Jaded
03-23-2019, 01:27 AM
Bush might still be there, I’m just sayin.

Jsteve01
03-23-2019, 08:16 AM
I wouldnt have any issue drafting him at 10. I may even like him better than White. But if its another ilb in the second it has ti be Wilson. No way Devin 1b lasts to our secondnd pick.

TXBRONC
03-23-2019, 08:52 AM
I’ll take you over Jewell.

Jewell is linebacker and he did fine when he was in. Cravens was injured most of the year. He doesn't do the team a bit good if he's always injured.

Simple Jaded
03-24-2019, 02:31 AM
Jewell is linebacker and he did fine when he was in. Cravens was injured most of the year. He doesn't do the team a bit good if he's always injured.

He supposedly has great instincts but guessed wrong a lot and got washed out when he didn’t, he wasn’t good. And that’s not even mentioning his lack of coverage skillset.

He might be better being protected behind a 2-gap but he’s exactly opposite of what Fangio has been coaching for decades.

Both Davis and Jewell run mid 4.8’s, we’ll see how that translates in the new system. They can probably just “intangible” their way to succes, I bet.

Edit;

Btw, you people seem to be missing the point, I’m not Pro-Cravens, I couldn’t care less if he makes the team. I said he fits better, he does.

Simple Jaded
03-24-2019, 02:42 AM
OTOH, Fangio probably had a lot of Jewell’s at Stanford.

TXBRONC
03-24-2019, 03:45 PM
He supposedly has great instincts but guessed wrong a lot and got washed out when he didn’t, he wasn’t good. And that’s not even mentioning his lack of coverage skillset.

He might be better being protected behind a 2-gap but he’s exactly opposite of what Fangio has been coaching for decades.

Both Davis and Jewell run mid 4.8’s, we’ll see how that translates in the new system. They can probably just “intangible” their way to succes, I bet.

Edit;

Btw, you people seem to be missing the point, I’m not Pro-Cravens, I couldn’t care less if he makes the team. I said he fits better, he does.

I watched the games that's not what I saw. We'll have to disagree on Cravens.

Elevation inc
03-25-2019, 02:56 AM

Edit;

I'm hoping with Jewell it was a rookie thing last year, but I saw a lot of inconsistent play from him. Maybe it was being a rookie maybe not. Personally I believe he is the same type of player Davis is, but wasn't close to being as good at that role. I wouldn't be surprised to see him as the backup to Davis if we draft someone like Bush or White.

Jsteve01
03-25-2019, 07:35 AM
I'm hoping with Jewell it was a rookie thing last year, but I saw a lot of inconsistent play from him. Maybe it was being a rookie maybe not. Personally I believe he is the same type of player Davis is, but wasn't close to being as good at that role. I wouldn't be surprised to see him as the backup to Davis if we draft someone like Bush or White.

I think if you look at his performance over the course of his career at Iowa that last year was an outlier. I would attribute a lot of what happened last year again to a very crappy coaching staff who did little to establish consistency or develop young guys

CoachChaz
03-25-2019, 08:21 AM
I'll hope the notion that he was a rookie in a bad system was right, but I also wouldn't be opposed to drafting two ILB's coming up. Based on what we've seen, it doesn't really appear that Davis nor Jewell are really good fits for a Fangio defense. And despite the dislike or indifference for Cravens...he is a really good fit if he can stay healthy.

I have a growing feeling that Elway drafts Lock or Haskins in the first, and for a lot of reasons, I think that may be a good idea. That would take White and Bush out of play for us, but there are still a lot of good ILB options left after the first round. Wilson, Cashman, Hanks, Pratt, Burr-Kirven, Tranquill, etc. Remember...the reigning DROY was a 2nd round pick last year, and if you recall, he played himself out of the first round with a poor Senior Bowl week and mediocre combine. So, quality talent at the position can certainly be had without their first name being Devin.

Cugel
03-25-2019, 09:53 AM
Well, Elway might cross everybody up and take Lock at #10, but it's wildly unlikely. As for Haskins, how is he going to get past the Giants at #6, and a bunch of other teams desperate for a QB? Murray is clearly going #1 overall to the Cardinals, which means they will have to trade Rosen.

As for ILBs, neither Davis nor Jewell is capable of covering TEs and RBs effectively on third downs. Denver hasn't had a coverage LB since Danny Trevathan left town. Either of the top LBs, White or Bush would be an instant upgrade at the most vulnerable position on the team. If the Broncos stay put at #10 expect one of them to be the pick. Of course, they intended to move back from #5 to #10 last year, until Chubb unexpectedly fell to them so they could do it again.