PDA

View Full Version : Trading Cards

FanInAZ
03-02-2019, 08:06 PM
My friend just learned about a Tom Brady rookie card that sold for $400,100:

https://people.com/sports/tom-brady-400k-card-auction-reaction/

He became whimsically curious about the possibility of buy 1 of every rookie card in each of the major sports (football, baseball, basketball & hockey) that would have the potential to gain such value should an athlete gain such notoriety. I know he can go to Wal-Mart and buy a box of 100s of mass-produced football cards, but how could he go about systematically acquiring 1 of every special edition rookie card in hopes that one of them might become the next Brady?

BroncoWave
03-02-2019, 09:45 PM
Doesn't seem like a very worthwhile investment. According to that article only 100 of that card was made. And it was in near mint condition. Amassing such a complete collection that you'd have one of every card in any given set would seem like too much of a time/money sink to really pay off.

Dapper Dan
03-03-2019, 07:25 AM
I’ve still got my Sam Bradford autographed rookie. Fingers crossed that this kid makes it big.

Shazam!
03-03-2019, 08:02 AM
Cards arent what they used to be. Nfl cards too not biggest market compared to MLB and even NBA in regards to sporting, unless talking Pokemon

Northman
03-03-2019, 11:00 AM
I dont have any recent trading cards, all of mine are from the 80's and 90's.

BroncoJoe
03-03-2019, 11:23 AM
I dont have any recent trading cards, all of mine are from the 80's and 90's.

I have a large 3 ring binder of baseball cards, plus a box full of them. I have no idea what to do with them, or if any are worth anything. They're all in protective sleeves.

They were my wife's deceased husbands, so they're probably 25-35 years old.

Northman
03-03-2019, 11:26 AM
I have a large 3 ring binder of baseball cards, plus a box full of them. I have no idea what to do with them, or if any are worth anything. They're all in protective sleeves.

They were my wife's deceased husbands, so they're probably 25-35 years old.

Yea, im not sure how much if anything my collection is worth. I do have like a handful of cards that i know are worth something (John Elway signed card/Steve Atwater signed card) but i dont think i have anything that is of really high value.

BroncoJoe
03-03-2019, 11:35 AM
Yea, im not sure how much if anything my collection is worth. I do have like a handful of cards that i know are worth something (John Elway signed card/Steve Atwater signed card) but i dont think i have anything that is of really high value.

I just hate to throw them away, since there might be a few worth something. There's just too many of them to individually investigate - probably 100-200 of them.

slim
03-03-2019, 11:36 AM
I just hate to throw them away, since there might be a few worth something. There's just too many of them to individually investigate - probably 100-200 of them.

Give them to me and I will investigate.

Hawgdriver
03-03-2019, 11:52 AM
Trading cards became such a fad in the late 80s that virtually all of them are worthless.

SR
03-03-2019, 12:23 PM
The guy that does all of the football card pricing for Beckett lives near me. I've had a pretty intriguing conversation with him regarding this stuff. It's amazing how devalued these cards have become over the last 20 years.

OTOH, I have hundreds of old Marvel and Image comics and cards that didn't used to be worth squat that are probably now worth what the sports cards used to be.

turftoad
03-03-2019, 12:24 PM
SR??
Where have you been!?

SR
03-03-2019, 01:38 PM
SR??
Where have you been!?

In the Houston area.