PDA

View Full Version : Elway-Mayor of Crazy Town

Shazam!
02-17-2019, 07:04 AM
Great read, Gary Busey thing i thought was funny

What is wrong with John Elway?*You probably already know about the*trade for Joe Flacco, and Flacco’s ironclad, unbreakable (non-guaranteed) deal that will pay him (up to) $63 million over the next (maximum) three seasons.*Clearly, John Elway has gone*crazy!*He walked into a Little Caesar’s and asked for a single order of Crazy Bread. And Brenda, the cashier, just sort of froze up, and then went back to get her manager, Mr. Anadapolis. And Mr. Anadapolis came out and said, “Mr. Elway, I think you’ve had enough.” And Elway replied: “I’ll*tell*you when I’ve had enough!” And before he walked out he mussed up the pile of take-out menus on the counter, and a couple fell on the floor. This was supposed to be Brenda’s gap year but she got tired of traveling and figured she was better off making a few extra bucks, maybe replace that missing hubcap on her Ford Fiesta before starts at Colorado State next fall. She doesn’t need this.

Before we really delve in, a statement to shade this piece in its entirety: This is not a defense of Elway or Flacco, both of whom have been objectively bad at their jobs the past three years (in fact, there are dozens of exhibits you would line up in the prosecution of “John Elway, general manager,” before you got to this deal). But the typical reaction to the Flacco trade has been threefold: Joe Flacco’s arm is so enfeebled that he can barely lift an American football let alone throw it forward. Joe Flacco’s contract is so large that his annual salary is three times the gross domestic product of Belize. Joe Flacco is so old—How old is he?—Joe Flacco is so old that his heart and lungs will soon stop working at which point his body will die and his soul will cease to exist on this plane of existence.

Full article -

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/02/17/joe-flacco-john-elway-broncos-trade-criticism

BeefStew25
02-17-2019, 09:32 AM
Repost with a clickable link and erection pills

Shazam!
02-17-2019, 09:41 AM
Link works

And don't be jealous

Cugel
02-17-2019, 11:08 AM
Oh, man that was hilarious, but not in a good way. Here's exactly how Denver is viewed in the national media:

This is not a defense of Elway or Flacco, both of whom have been objectively bad at their jobs the past three years (in fact, there are dozens of exhibits you would line up in the prosecution of “John Elway, general manager,” before you got to this deal). But the typical reaction to the Flacco trade has been threefold: Joe Flacco’s arm is so enfeebled that he can barely lift an American football let alone throw it forward. Joe Flacco’s contract is so large that his annual salary is three times the gross domestic product of Belize. Joe Flacco is so old—How old is he?—Joe Flacco is so old that his heart and lungs will soon stop working at which point his body will die and his soul will cease to exist on this plane of existence.

This is the national view. Elway has had one bungle after another starting right after the Super Bowl and continuing right up to today. His reputation as a General Manager is actually bad among the national media. They think he's something of a genial buffoon who actively screws things up like his draft picks every year.

In their view the Broncos had a chance to get one of three QBs who are starting in the National Football League today: Josh Allen, Josh Rosen and Lamar Jackson, and failed to draft one of them at a time when their starting QB was Case Keenum - it being obvious to everybody at the time that Case Keenum was not going to be a long term answer, except about 5 years from now it will be the answer to a Broncos Jeopardy Game Trivia Question.

Somehow this trade seemed to epitomize the Elway era: seemingly impulsive and incomprehensible. As in: "the Broncos new starting QB is who? Joe Flacco? They're trading for Joe Flacco? Why? Did they not see Joe Flacco these past couple of years or so? Why would they do that?"

The Ravens just went to Lamar Jackson, a QB who has yet to master the concept of the forward pass. It's just some kind of strange hoodoo to him and he's uncomfortable with that strange arm motion you have to make to throw the ball in a forward direction. It's all so new and strange.

And yet, the Ravens and the general public universally endorsed going with Jackson in the playoffs, and even after a 1st half in which their offense was totally throttled, there was ZERO consideration given to going back to Flacco who stood there on the sidelines with a look that said: "this is the guy that took my job? This? I could do so much better than this!"

And everybody in the universe disagreed with him from the Ravens GM down to the fans and sports writers. Everybody agreed: "Yes, Flacco is pretty much washed up."

So, there's widespread disdain of Elway nationwide.

Shazam!
02-17-2019, 11:13 AM
The more i think of it the more i am liking this team's chances next season.

Poet
02-17-2019, 12:48 PM
There's a certain style to the madness.

Shazam!
02-17-2019, 01:09 PM
There's a certain style to the madness.

I dont think the organization could make any move that would make you happy.

Poet
02-17-2019, 01:17 PM
I dont think the organization could make any move that would make you happy.

The blue pills are impacting your other head, too.

Cugel
02-17-2019, 02:07 PM
Well, we'll see how good their roster looks in July. They won't have Bradley Roby, maybe Emanuel Sanders ($8.5 million), Shane Ray, Shaqil Barrett, Justin Simmons, Matt Paradis (UFA), Brandon Marshall, Ron Leary, Jared Veldheer, Jeff Heurmann, Domata Peko Sr. and Zach Kerr.

Shazam!
02-17-2019, 02:08 PM
Just the one they do

NightTerror218
02-17-2019, 03:23 PM
Elway has flopped after the SB, almost no question. He get enamored with a certain QB and obviously targets them in draft. Or puts all eggs into basket on a vet.

He is not his dad. He is not a good scout. He needs to let the scouts scout and he needs to focus on just running the team.

He is a built the team through FA type of GM which has wrecked team since SB. Hit a home run with aquib, ware sanders and ward. But has a single FA really worked out to make pro bowl caliber since.

Northman
02-17-2019, 07:01 PM
Yea Elway sucks, the sky if falling i tell ya!

Shazam!
02-17-2019, 07:50 PM
Broncos Country is spoiled rotten.

Poet
02-17-2019, 07:51 PM
Broncos Country is spoiled rotten.

I mean, you said I wouldn't be happy no matter what we do, yet in my signature I spell out things that would do it. People aren't spoiled just because they're not good little homers. :coffee:

TXBRONC
02-17-2019, 08:02 PM
Elway has flopped after the SB, almost no question. He get enamored with a certain QB and obviously targets them in draft. Or puts all eggs into basket on a vet.

He is not his dad. He is not a good scout. He needs to let the scouts scout and he needs to focus on just running the team.

He is a built the team through FA type of GM which has wrecked team since SB. Hit a home run with aquib, ware sanders and ward. But has a single FA really worked out to make pro bowl caliber since.

Are you saying he put all his eggs into one basket with Keenum and now in just a few weeks Flacco?

Cugel
02-17-2019, 08:28 PM
Elway built the SB championship team almost entirely through FA. Manning, Talib, Ward, Ware, Sanders, etc. But, he sucked bad at drafting, especially in the first & second round where teams normally find their best starters:

2014 first, second and third: Bradley Roby*, Cody Latimer*, Michael Schofield*; 2015: Shane Ray*, Ty Sambrailo*, Jeff Heurman*; 2016: Paxton Lynch*, Adam Gotsis, Justin Simmons*; 2017: Garrett Bolles, Demarcus Walker, Carlos Henderson*.

* Already Gone of Will Be Released This Off-Season.
Eliminate the players who were cut or not re-signed this off-season: that leaves Walker, who can't get on the field and might not make the team, Gotsis, and Bolles out of the top 9 picks the last 3 years drafts.

That is why the Broncos suck. No depth because Elway screwed up the draft year after year. Last year was better but that cupboard was pretty barren, and it still is pretty thin. They could decide to re-sign Jeff Heurmann but we all hope not. They need a lot better than him.

TXBRONC
02-17-2019, 08:38 PM
No Cugel there were some important free agent that were apart of Super Bowl team, but is nowhere near accurate to say Denver won the Super with mostly free agents.

Cugel
02-17-2019, 08:50 PM
No Cugel there were some important free agent that were apart of Super Bowl team, but is nowhere near accurate to say Denver won the Super with mostly free agents.

The Superbowl Season, yes. Demarcus Ware provided the necessary leadership on defense and Peyton did on offense. The minute both those guys left the team fell apart and fell to 5-11 and 6-10.

JPPT1974
02-17-2019, 09:09 PM
He is a H.O.F. QB and you would think that they would had been in that of picking QB's as GM. Really it is puzzling and surprising there.

TXBRONC
02-17-2019, 09:57 PM
The Superbowl Season, yes. Demarcus Ware provided the necessary leadership on defense and Peyton did on offense. The minute both those guys left the team fell apart and fell to 5-11 and 6-10.

The team fell apart because it didn't have a very good starting quarterback primarily but there were other contributing factors. Filling the void of a Hall of Famer in waiting is hard to do.

On the offensive side of ball Manning was the leader on the defensive side ball there were several vocal players and not all of them came to Denver via free agency.

Freyaka
02-18-2019, 11:33 AM
He is a H.O.F. QB and you would think that they would had been in that of picking QB's as GM. Really it is puzzling and surprising there.

I don't remember who was talking about it, maybe Stink... Former QB's tend to do better scouting defensive players as GM's, likely because they spend most of their time studying defenses and reading them. The same is true of defensive players scouting offensive players.

We just need to find a former safety to scout our QB's for us.

BroncoJoe
02-18-2019, 11:56 AM
I don't remember who was talking about it, maybe Stink... Former QB's tend to do better scouting defensive players as GM's, likely because they spend most of their time studying defenses and reading them. The same is true of defensive players scouting offensive players.

We just need to find a former safety to scout our QB's for us.

I've been saying that for years.

Poet
02-18-2019, 12:31 PM
Just run the ball 30 times a game and live off playaction. Build up the defense so maybe we can squeak into the playoffs and hope we don't run into an offensive juggernaut. Then sell the farm to try to trade up for Lawrence because Elway can't find a QB to save his life. Hope and pray. Let's go.

Swag
02-21-2019, 08:47 PM
Elway is a good gm when he has Peyton Manning playing for him but every gm would be. It’s time he goes back to the steakhouses and dealerships, booze and choosing players who make multi millions doesn’t seem like it’s a good match.

Shazam!
02-22-2019, 06:19 AM
Just run the ball 30 times a game and live off playaction. Build up the defense so maybe we can squeak into the playoffs and hope we don't run into an offensive juggernaut. Then sell the farm to try to trade up for Lawrence because Elway can't find a QB to save his life. Hope and pray. Let's go.

This is why Musgrave was an epic failure. Even the OCs were terrible

Poet
02-22-2019, 06:41 PM
This is why Musgrave was an epic failure. Even the OCs were terrible

Well, when you have a weak armed coward QB no one has to respect the passing game, so running into a stacked box is awful. Keenum's so awful he entices you to throw it more because you can't run with him.

Unless your defense is elite. Which is why Minny ran the ball more than anyone else in the league with him, even though they only averaged 3.9 ypc.

God I hate Keenum. I hope he retires.

Jsteve01
02-22-2019, 07:54 PM
Bill was not right last year. He's always been in the top third of the league when it comes to offensive coordinators when given quality players. I'm speculating but I really think his dad's Health contributed to his inability to gameplan well last year. Because if you look at the rest of his career Musgraves offenses were always in the top third of the league

Cugel
03-01-2019, 06:39 PM
Well, when you have a weak armed coward QB no one has to respect the passing game, so running into a stacked box is awful. Keenum's so awful he entices you to throw it more because you can't run with him.

Unless your defense is elite. Which is why Minny ran the ball more than anyone else in the league with him, even though they only averaged 3.9 ypc.

God I hate Keenum. I hope he retires.

That's not fair. He's simply a backup QB, and proof of the Peter Principle.

A man who is successful in any organization will be promoted - until he reaches the level of his incompetence.

Case Keenum's level of incompetence is starting Qb. He was a backup in MN who got his chance as a starter because both Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Bradford got injured. And he had a career season, like Joe Flacco in 2012 (although his career best obviously wasn't as good as Flacco's 2012 SB run).

He'll be fine and have a nice long career in the NFL as a backup QB, earning about $4-6m a year. He might even stay in Denver (Elway is discussing that with his agent).

Elevation inc
03-04-2019, 07:32 AM
Elway built the SB championship team almost entirely through FA. Manning, Talib, Ward, Ware, Sanders, etc. But, he sucked bad at drafting, especially in the first & second round where teams normally find their best starters:

2014 first, second and third: Bradley Roby*, Cody Latimer*, Michael Schofield*; 2015: Shane Ray*, Ty Sambrailo*, Jeff Heurman*; 2016: Paxton Lynch*, Adam Gotsis, Justin Simmons*; 2017: Garrett Bolles, Demarcus Walker, Carlos Henderson*.

* Already Gone of Will Be Released This Off-Season.
Eliminate the players who were cut or not re-signed this off-season: that leaves Walker, who can't get on the field and might not make the team, Gotsis, and Bolles out of the top 9 picks the last 3 years drafts.

That is why the Broncos suck. No depth because Elway screwed up the draft year after year. Last year was better but that cupboard was pretty barren, and it still is pretty thin. They could decide to re-sign Jeff Heurmann but we all hope not. They need a lot better than him.

I think Elway is headed back on the right track for the most part, questions still surround QB, but he saw the OL and CB and overall defense needs addressing, he fired a incompetent coaching staff and brought in a good one.....I was very happy with last draft, he stopped looking for raw potential and upside, and focused on players that have work ethic, are proven performers, have talent and love football.

Also if a draft pick contributes his rookie year contract and isn't a failure, I don't think you can consider the draft pick a failure cause they aren't with the team after 4 years. You might be able to say a guy like Roby didn't live up to his first rd. billing, but a lot of that was scheme, playtime and coaching. Lets say he did live up to it. Its doubtful we would be able to keep him anyway due to the cost for a starting CB in the NFL.

I will agree guys like Sambrillo, Shane ray and Carlos Henderson hurt, but then he also finds guys like Shaq barrett and Lindsay. The draft is a crapshoot. So its not as bad as everyone thinks.....We do have depth on this team. More then people realize. If our OC and Offensive staff knew how to use our strengths on offense last year and Keenum made that throw to DT against KC, or we didn't lose Sanders or Harris(our 2 biggest leaders), we would have been in the playoffs. That's with most of our current roster....

The sky isn't falling with regards to the draft. Flacco sucks, but maybe scags will turn out to be the QB whisperer we all hope he is.

Shazam!
03-08-2019, 07:31 AM
VJ is Elway's biggest blunder. I think with Fangio, if his Death by 1000 paper cuts mentality pans out and Scang can turn around this offense we'll see a competitve team that is nasty on D and efficient avoiding all those VJ mistakes.

If Flacco can avoid all thise 3 and Outs and has a semblence of a true running team, watch out AFC.

Cugel
03-08-2019, 04:27 PM
Well, we'll see, but they desperately need to revamp both the OL and the defense.

Team has needs at:

LT, LG, C, RG, RT. That's the entire OL folks.
TE - They have no reliable ones and their leading (bad) TE from last year Jeff Heurman is a FA.

WR - Sanders is coming off injury and is making a boatload of $. Hopefully they keep him because behind him there's "not a lot of proven depth."

Defense: No Fly Zone is no more. This off-season they're losing Roby and Justin Simmons, after trading Talib and cutting TJ Ward the previous season. They're going to have to replace Brandon Marshall at ILB as well, since he's gone too.

CoachChaz
03-08-2019, 04:32 PM
Well, we'll see, but they desperately need to revamp both the OL and the defense.

Team has needs at:

LT, LG, C, RG, RT. That's the entire OL folks.
TE - They have no reliable ones and their leading (bad) TE from last year Jeff Heurman is a FA.

WR - Sanders is coming off injury and is making a boatload of $. Hopefully they keep him because behind him there's "not a lot of proven depth."

Defense: No Fly Zone is no more. This off-season they're losing Roby and Justin Simmons, after trading Talib and cutting TJ Ward the previous season. They're going to have to replace Brandon Marshall at ILB as well, since he's gone too.

Ridiculous. Show me a top NFL offensive line that has Pro-bowlers at all 5 positions. People just need to accept the fact that Bolles, McGovern and Leary aren't going anywhere. And with solid additions at the other two spots, in addition to quality coaching, the line as a whole can see a huge improvement.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-08-2019, 10:43 PM
Ridiculous. Show me a top NFL offensive line that has Pro-bowlers at all 5 positions. People just need to accept the fact that Bolles, McGovern and Leary aren't going anywhere. And with solid additions at the other two spots, in addition to quality coaching, the line as a whole can see a huge improvement.

But just because they aren't going anywhere, that doesn't mean we don't have a need. This offseason argument that most have been having here about the OL improvement last season is moot. Everyone ended up getting hurt and some aren't returning. As it stands today, OL is our position group with the biggest holes.

TXBRONC
03-09-2019, 09:43 AM
But just because they aren't going anywhere, that doesn't mean we don't have a need. This offseason argument that most have been having here about the OL improvement last season is moot. Everyone ended up getting hurt and some aren't returning. As it stands today, OL is our position group with the biggest holes.

There is huge difference between saying the entire line needs to be replaced and filling holes. McGovern and Bolles will be on that line for sure and I don't think about Leary. He's missed 15 game in two seasons so pardon pun it makes me leery of him. Nevertheless Cug is incorrect that entire line needs to be replaced.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-09-2019, 10:45 AM
There is huge difference between saying the entire line needs to be replaced and filling holes. McGovern and Bolles will be on that line for sure and I don't think about Leary. He's missed 15 game in two seasons so pardon pun it makes me leery of him. Nevertheless Cug is incorrect that entire line needs to be replaced.

We'd be better off changing 4/5 of it

TXBRONC
03-09-2019, 12:28 PM
We'd be better off changing 4/5 of it

I don't think we need to change that many. We have realistically two to three place should be addressed on the offensive line.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-09-2019, 12:38 PM
Our current players either are hurt, suck or still need to develop. We might have 1 that I'm confident in to be part of our future.

TXBRONC
03-09-2019, 01:58 PM
Our current players either are hurt, suck or still need to develop. We might have 1 that I'm confident in to be part of our future.

Ok, and I see two that are part of our long term future.

Simple Jaded
03-13-2019, 12:12 AM
John Elway is Executive of the Year 2019, hands down.