PDA

View Full Version : Keenum ignoring draft talk, looks forward to improving under Fangio

Northman
02-07-2019, 06:33 AM
https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/case-keenum-ignoring-nfl-draft-talk-focused-on-improving-with-hc-vic-fangio-oc-r

DENVER — As April’s 2019 NFL Draft approaches, mock drafts will be debated and rumors around the quarterback position will continue to grow.

Just don’t expect Case Keenum to know that — or to care.

"When's the draft?” Keenum asked with a smile after attending Wednesday’s Colorado House of Representatives Business Committee hearing (https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/broncos-players-lend-support-at-legislative-hearing-as-athletic-training-bill-pa). “Sorry, I haven't looked at any draft boards yet. I know how much that changes and how that goes. My job is to get healthy and to get ready for this year. I'm not going to be paying too much attention to that right now especially."

After a season in which Keenum threw for 3,890 yards, 18 touchdowns and 15 interceptions and completed 62.3 percent of his passes, he said he’s more focused on the advice he’s gotten from his coaches on how to improve.

“It's not something that's affecting me and my preparation and how I'm ready to go as a football player and what my job is,” Keenum said. “It's not affecting my job. For me, I take more of what my coaches say and the meetings that we've had. I had a great meeting with John [Elway] at the end of the year and we've all got to be better. That's hands down what it comes down to. I was mad just like every other Broncos fan watching all these playoff games and us sitting at home. I feel the same way that we've all got to be better."

TXBRONC
02-07-2019, 08:38 AM
https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/case-keenum-ignoring-nfl-draft-talk-focused-on-improving-with-hc-vic-fangio-oc-r

I'm not surprise, eventually he was going to be asked and this is the kind of answer I would expect.

OrangeHoof
02-07-2019, 09:07 AM
One thing the Keenum detractors can't say about the guy is he's a clubhouse cancer. He says the right things. He's not a clubhouse Prima Donna like Roethlisberger has become, pointing fingers at everyone but himself. Keenum understands his situation and will try to be better but if it means mentoring a top draft pick to take his job, he'll swallow his pride and do it while waiting for another chance elsewhere. He's already gotten more out of his career than anyone could have possibly guessed.

Northman
02-07-2019, 09:13 AM
One thing the Keenum detractors can't say about the guy is he's a clubhouse cancer. He says the right things. He's not a clubhouse Prima Donna like Roethlisberger has become, pointing fingers at everyone but himself. Keenum understands his situation and will try to be better but if it means mentoring a top draft pick to take his job, he'll swallow his pride and do it while waiting for another chance elsewhere. He's already gotten more out of his career than anyone could have possibly guessed.

the only thing i will say in defense of Ben is he's lead his team to 3 SB's and won 2. Manning did the same thing when throwing his Oline under the bus, when you have the kind of success those guys have had there is leeway given for that. While Keenum isnt a guy (that i know of) to throw his teammates under the bus he hasnt really done enough to even justify it if he did. Keenum throwing anyone under the bus would be far more foolish since his resume isnt that impressive to begin with.

TXBRONC
02-07-2019, 09:53 AM

Agreed. He's no cancer, he works hard but he's not the kind of quarterback that you want starting 16 games for you. I've never understood the literal hatred he gets just because he's not a great player. Imo it's a bit childish. I don't know how much better a quarterback who will 31 years old next season can get. That aside he's seems to be good guy to have around. If Denver does draft quarterback ( which fully expect they will). He seems like the the kind of guy who will try to help young players, unlike someone like Kyle Orton who was always jealous of younger players who could possibly take his job.

broncofaninfla
02-07-2019, 10:07 AM
I for one hope Case is the starter for 2019 and that scags does a far better job than Musgrave at scheming to Cases strengths. I don't see a viable and cost effective option currently in free agency and don't think Haskins will be there at 10. No other QB coming out in the draft this year is worth that 10 pick in my opinion.

TXBRONC
02-07-2019, 10:13 AM
I for one hope Case is the starter for 2019 and that scags does a far better job than Musgrave at scheming to Cases strengths. I don't see a viable and cost effective option currently in free agency and don't think Haskins will be there at 10. No other QB coming out in the draft this year is worth that 10 pick in my opinion.

While I personally don't think Keenum is the kind of guy want starting 16 games, until we see what happens in the draft he's the starter going into the season.

Freyaka
02-07-2019, 11:06 AM

I mean it's the right answer. Doesn't mean a lot, he's gonna likely end up replaced no matter what answers he gives.

TXBRONC
02-07-2019, 11:09 AM
I mean it's the right answer. Doesn't mean a lot, he's gonna likely end up replaced no matter what answers he gives.

I expect that Denver is going to draft a quarterback, but if they don't pick one until the 3rd round, I think his chance to keep the job go up exponentially.

Freyaka
02-07-2019, 11:29 AM
I expect that Denver is going to draft a quarterback, but if they don't pick one until the 3rd round, I think his chance to keep the job go up exponentially.

I think we're going to also bring in other QB's from FA/Trade on top of drafting a QB. I think Keenum's days are pretty numbered. Anytime John Elway says something like "Keenum is our starting QB.....for now" he's planning his demise as our starter.

TXBRONC
02-07-2019, 02:24 PM
I think we're going to also bring in other QB's from FA/Trade on top of drafting a QB. I think Keenum's days are pretty numbered. Anytime John Elway says something like "Keenum is our starting QB.....for now" he's planning his demise as our starter.

I didn't mention it, I agree there will be there will other quarterbacks on the besides one that is drafted and Keenum. Denver has generally carried three. Elway hasn't said that just yet that I'm aware of, but if or when does it's the kiss of death. I think much would have to do with where they draft a quarterback.

Freyaka
02-07-2019, 02:48 PM
I didn't mention it, I agree there will be there will other quarterbacks on the besides one that is drafted and Keenum. Denver has generally carried three. Elway hasn't said that just yet that I'm aware of, but if or when does it's the kiss of death. I think much would have to do with where they draft a quarterback.

Here's the exact wording he used.

https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Article/John-Elway-lukewarm-support-Case-Keenum-Our-QB-right-now-127164463/

“I’m going to go and shake some trees out there for the quarterback and see if one falls out (laughs)," Elway responded Monday in his season-ending, post-Vance Joseph press conference. "Case [Keenum] is our quarterback right now and we’ve got to do a better job of supporting him too. Case did a nice job this year. Obviously, he’ll tell you the same thing, he could’ve played better, but we’re always looking for that guy. We’ll continue to work for him and go from there. As far as Mike being a candidate, not at this point in time. I’ve got a great deal of respect for Mike and a great relationship with Mike, so we’ll just see how things go.”

It's not the exact same quote as he used to say "Tebow is our QB for now" but it's pretty lukewarm as endorsements go. When Elway starts using that kind of middle of the road language like that, it normally doesn't bode well for the person he's talking about.

Here's another that's even more direct calling him a "short term fix".
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/john-elway-says-case-keenum-is-probably-a-short-term-fix-so-will-broncos-target-qb-in-2019-nfl-draft/

Elway, meanwhile, offered more specificity about Keenum's future.

"[W]e've got to -- Case is probably a short-term fix -- find the long-term guy for us," Elway told Peter King of "Football Morning in America." "When we do find that guy, we've got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don't find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot."

That's a lot of writing on the wall that tells me Elway would prefer we go into the season without Case, but we fully intend on replacing him ASAP.

TXBRONC
02-07-2019, 03:05 PM
Here's the exact wording he used.

https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Article/John-Elway-lukewarm-support-Case-Keenum-Our-QB-right-now-127164463/

It's not the exact same quote as he used to say "Tebow is our QB for now" but it's pretty lukewarm as endorsements go. When Elway starts using that kind of middle of the road language like that, it normally doesn't bode well for the person he's talking about.

Here's another that's even more direct calling him a "short term fix.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/john-elway-says-case-keenum-is-probably-a-short-term-fix-so-will-broncos-target-qb-in-2019-nfl-draft/

Neither one of those is same thing as saying ____ is our quarterback right now, which has been the kiss of death for other quarterbacks. The second quote is Elway saying even though Keenum was the starter he was never seen as a long term fix. That one doesn't he won't be here for this season. Again, at this point, much depends who he lands as veteran quarterback and where exactly they draft another quarterback.

underrated29
02-07-2019, 03:25 PM
While I personally don't think Keenum is the kind of guy want starting 16 games, until we see what happens in the draft he's starter going into the season.

Vic the new HC and Elway both said something that does have me a little uneasy. They both mentioned that they like the idea of the young (new drafted QB) to sit and learn for a bit. We saw that with Brock (although peyton was shattering records so its not like he was going to play anyway) but if so, (which would suck balls btw) then even if we land a Lock, Haskins, Jones, etc....I think you may still be right that case is starting for us and (gulp) even for the entire year until the chants get too big for the rookie!

I could fully see a scenario where we have Lock and Case and Case starts until week 12 or something. Then Lock gets in to get his feet wet.
I would not like that but I can see it happening from what John and Vic both said.

TXBRONC
02-07-2019, 04:05 PM
Vic the new HC and Elway both said something that does have me a little uneasy. They both mentioned that they like the idea of the young (new drafted QB) to sit and learn for a bit. We saw that with Brock (although peyton was shattering records so its not like he was going to play anyway) but if so, (which would suck balls btw) then even if we land a Lock, Haskins, Jones, etc....I think you may still be right that case is starting for us and (gulp) even for the entire year until the chants get too big for the rookie!

I could fully see a scenario where we have Lock and Case and Case starts until week 12 or something. Then Lock gets in to get his feet wet.
I would not like that but I can see it happening from what John and Vic both said.

Well yes there is a huge difference between sitting behind a elite quarterback and a journeyman. Assuming Lock is the guy I don't see how him by week 12 would necessarily a bad thing. If Denver is in the playoff hunt I doubt that would happen. If they're not I don't know if that would a bad thing. It will depend on how the season is going.

underrated29
02-07-2019, 04:41 PM
Well yes there is a huge difference between sitting behind a elite quarterback and a journeyman. Assuming Lock is the guy I don't see how him by week 12 would necessarily a bad thing. If Denver is in the playoff hunt I doubt that would happen. If they're not I don't know if that would a bad thing. It will depend on how the season is going.

If we are in the hunt with keenum I agree. I just do not see that happening. Id much rather just let him get out there and learn. Get a feel for the game. But I agree, it totally depends upon how the season is going. I just do not think it will be going that much better than this year. Maybe a game or two but it is case after all.

TXBRONC
02-07-2019, 05:55 PM
If we are in the hunt with keenum I agree. I just do not see that happening. Id much rather just let him get out there and learn. Get a feel for the game. But I agree, it totally depends upon how the season is going. I just do not think it will be going that much better than this year. Maybe a game or two but it is case after all.

I was misunderstanding you, I thought you meant that it would better if the guy sat for the entire the season. It is also possible that if Fangio and Elway think a rookie will be able to hold his own he'll start. Elway has talked many times about his experience as a rookie, iirc he said the he learn a lot by sitting, but he also said he learned more by playing. The other thing I'll be listening for is if there is talk about the offense being tailored to rookie's strengths. If that happens that many times is an indicator that guy rookie will start sooner rather than later.

Hawgdriver
02-08-2019, 12:59 AM

Doesn't sound like Vic would get ballsy like Pete Carroll and throw the kid in after a good camp.

OrangeHoof
02-08-2019, 01:18 AM
How many starts did Mahomes get his rookie year? Not that Case is as good as Alex Smith but there are no QBs in the draft that will play as well as Mahomes either.

TXBRONC
02-08-2019, 08:58 AM
How many starts did Mahomes get his rookie year? Not that Case is as good as Alex Smith but there are no QBs in the draft that will play as well as Mahomes either.

He had one start his rookie season, and that was against Denver in week 17.

Dreadnought
02-08-2019, 09:14 AM

As a general rule I never like the idea of starting a rookie QB until year two. There are obvious exceptions of course, but I think you're more likely to ruin a rookie by starting him before he is ready than unveiling the next of the very rare rookie sensations. I would be content watching Keenum in 2019

Dreadnought
02-08-2019, 09:15 AM
Agreed. He's no cancer, he works hard but he's not the kind of quarterback that you want starting 16 games for you. I've never understood the literal hatred he gets just because he's not a great player. Imo it's a bit childish. I don't know how much better a quarterback who will 31 years old next season can get. That aside he's seems to be good guy to have around. If Denver does draft quarterback ( which fully expect they will). He seems like the the kind of guy who will try to help young players, unlike someone Kyle Orton who was always jealous of younger players who could possibly take his job.

Or, dare I say, Jake Plummer?

TXBRONC
02-08-2019, 09:28 AM
Or, dare I say, Jake Plummer?

Oh oh. :couch:

Seriously, I was never given the impression that Plummer was jealous, but he certainly cracked under the pressure of Cutler being in Denver to eventually replace him.

Hawgdriver
02-08-2019, 09:47 AM
Improving seems like a good plan for Keenum.

TXBRONC
02-08-2019, 10:09 AM

Agreed, but I wondering what your cat's take on this is.

Hawgdriver
02-08-2019, 10:36 AM

I just asked and got a head shake and a rear leg ear scratch. I'll let you interpret.

BroncoJoe
02-08-2019, 10:38 AM

As a cat owner myself, I'm confident that Hawg's cat doesn't give a shit about anything but eating, shitting/peeing and sleeping.

Jsteve01
02-08-2019, 10:40 AM
Oh oh. :couch:

Seriously, I was never given the impression that Plummer was jealous, but he certainly cracked under the pressure of Cutler being in Denver to eventually replace him.

Or the fact that heimerdinger and Shanny set him up to fail when they quit moving the pocket like kubiak had.

Hawgdriver
02-08-2019, 10:42 AM
As a cat owner myself, I'm confident that Hawg's cat doesn't give a shit about anything but eating, shitting/peeing and sleeping.

Pretty much. The younger one still has delusions of being a state champion mouser and will randomly tear ass around the house. Gets those big murdercat eyes when it's time to chase a toy. It's fun watching him 'in the zone'.

Freyaka
02-08-2019, 10:59 AM

The question is, can he? He'll have far better coaching and I'm assuming a far better o-line so that bodes well for him, but if he's going to end up starting in 2019, he's gotta play more like he did in Minny and I don't have the same level of faith in him I did going into 2018...

We'll see what happens, but I hope we have other viable options.

Freyaka
02-08-2019, 11:00 AM
Or the fact that heimerdinger and Shanny set him up to fail when they quit moving the pocket like kubiak had.

Which funny enough, is exactly what Case needs, a coach that will move the pocket for him... Never got why our coaching staff was too dumb to figure that out.

Cugel
02-08-2019, 03:22 PM
Agreed. He's no cancer, he works hard but he's not the kind of quarterback that you want starting 16 games for you. I've never understood the literal hatred he gets just because he's not a great player. Imo it's a bit childish. I don't know how much better a quarterback who will 31 years old next season can get. That aside he's seems to be good guy to have around. If Denver does draft quarterback ( which fully expect they will). He seems like the the kind of guy who will try to help young players, unlike someone like Kyle Orton who was always jealous of younger players who could possibly take his job.

The question is no longer whether Case Keenum is a hard worker and general good guy. He is. He just isn't very good. Well, I wouldn't mind getting paid $38,000,000 for being below mediocre at my job! In that case, I would shut up and cash the checks. So, it would be remarkable in a bad way if he was causing problems in addition to throwing 15 picks.

TXBRONC
02-08-2019, 03:25 PM
I just asked and got a head shake and a rear leg ear scratch. I'll let you interpret.

I would never let my cat speak to me like that.

Hawgdriver
02-08-2019, 03:37 PM
I would never let my cat speak to me like that.

Yeah, I seem to end up with the cats that like to misbehave.

TXBRONC
02-08-2019, 03:51 PM
Yeah, I seem to end up with the cats that like to misbehave.

They're all like that Hawg. Some are just sneakier than others. I have three cats, they're all nice when I'm looking, but when I turn my back, sneaky sobs.

Freyaka
02-08-2019, 03:57 PM
They're all like that Hawg. Some are just sneakier than others. I have three cats, they're all nice when I'm looking, but when I turn my back, sneaky sobs.

It's generally well known that cats are a-holes. Some are simply better at masking it than others.

TXBRONC
02-08-2019, 04:03 PM
It's generally well known that cats are a-holes. Some are simply better at masking it than others.

That's why I also have dog. I let rest of the family deal with cats. I'll deal with the dog.

OrangeHoof
02-08-2019, 04:10 PM
The question is, can he? He'll have far better coaching and I'm assuming a far better o-line so that bodes well for him, but if he's going to end up starting in 2019, he's gotta play more like he did in Minny and I don't have the same level of faith in him I did going into 2018...

We'll see what happens, but I hope we have other viable options.

When we signed Keenum I said he needed to bring Diggs and Theilen with him because they were constantly bailing him out. The only receiver we had last year that was bailing him out was Sanders and once Sanders popped his achillies, that was the end of Keenum's effectiveness. Sutton is going to be good and I'm glad we drafted him but he can't carry the offense and I see nobody else in the receiving corps worthy of a roster spot (unless Sanders can make a miracle recovery). I hope we either add a quality WR in free agency or draft one before the 4th round.

Jsteve01
02-08-2019, 08:48 PM

I have this amazing boxer Mastiff mix. And for years I couldn't figure out why all the cats I had ended up being so cool. I finally realized that he kept taking him under his wing so to speak and they all thought they were dogs. That's the only way you can get a cool cat.

Davii
02-08-2019, 09:03 PM
I hope we draft Devin Wade, the Longshot.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-08-2019, 09:13 PM
When we signed Keenum I said he needed to bring Diggs and Theilen with him because they were constantly bailing him out. The only receiver we had last year that was bailing him out was Sanders and once Sanders popped his achillies, that was the end of Keenum's effectiveness. Sutton is going to be good and I'm glad we drafted him but he can't carry the offense and I see nobody else in the receiving corps worthy of a roster spot (unless Sanders can make a miracle recovery). I hope we either add a quality WR in free agency or draft one before the 4th round.

The Penn State kid will be Sanders once Sanders goes. I love his game

Jsteve01
02-08-2019, 11:04 PM
I think in the wash it ends up being like the Cutler draft where you had the big receiver and Marshall in the little Speedy receiver in Hixon. Only Hamilton is more polished as a route Runner and less dangerous as a Return Man.

TXBRONC
02-08-2019, 11:17 PM
I have this amazing boxer Mastiff mix. And for years I couldn't figure out why all the cats I had ended up being so cool. I finally realized that he kept taking him under his wing so to speak and they all thought they were dogs. That's the only way you can get a cool cat.

My dog has the typical cat and dog relationship, they tolerate each other but that's about it.

Freyaka
02-09-2019, 11:59 PM
I hope we draft Devin Wade, the Longshot.

Longshot mode is so garbage.

sneakers
02-10-2019, 07:09 AM
I don't know what else he is supposed to say here.....

TXBRONC
02-10-2019, 06:58 PM
I don't think anyone is criticizing him for it. There really isn't anything else he could say. I just don't think that a 31 years old (will be by next season) quarterback can do to get better.

Poet
02-13-2019, 06:11 PM

It should have an impact on how he prepares because he's not doing a good job. It should impact how he's "ready to go," and him "as a football player," because he was one of the worst QB's in the game last year. Don't talk about "we all have to get better," when you are by far the biggest issue on the team.

Dude is a loser. He whined that he never got his shot, that he earned his shot, and now that he bombed it's no longer about him, but all about the team. Incredible how that works.

Pathetic.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-13-2019, 08:09 PM
Well, bye Case!

FanInAZ
02-13-2019, 08:51 PM
Well, bye Case!

I hope Elway hits the jackpot with the 1st round pick that Gruden is going to give us for him :D

Freyaka
02-14-2019, 12:32 PM
I hope Elway hits the jackpot with the 1st round pick that Gruden is going to give us for him :D

My money is in him ending up on one of the three florida teams.

Elevation inc
02-14-2019, 12:34 PM

I would forgive him for Flacco if that happens lol