PDA

View Full Version : Anyone drafting ahead of the Broncos in draft that needs a qb?

sneakers
02-04-2019, 01:08 AM
1. Arizona Cardinals (3-13)
2. San Francisco 49ers (4-12)
3. New York Jets (4-12)
4. Oakland Raiders (4-12)
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (5-11)
6. New York Giants (5-11)
7. Jacksonville Jaguars (5-11)
8. Detroit Lions (6-10)
9. Buffalo Bills (6-10)
10. Denver Broncos (6-10)

Timmy!
02-04-2019, 01:30 AM
5, 6, 7 at least.

OrangeHoof
02-04-2019, 02:39 AM
All of them. They just don't know it yet. Realistically, the Raiders, Giants and Jaguars are most likely to actually take a QB but none of them are in "must draft" mode if there's no "franchise QB" and I'm not seeing any out there to draft.

elsid13
02-04-2019, 05:33 AM
5, 6, 7 at least.

Tampa has stated they are sticking with Jameis Winston next season.

BroncoWave
02-04-2019, 06:56 AM
3. New York Jets (4-12)
8. Detroit Lions (6-10)
9. Buffalo Bills (6-10)

AZ- probably not, but Kingsbury does seem infatuated with Murray. They likely stick with Rosen though

SF- They have Jimmy G, so no QB for them.

NYJ- Just drafted Darnold, so nope

OAK- This one is a maybe. Gruden and Carr don't seem crazy about each other, so it could happen.

TB- Seems like they are sticking with Jameis, so I don't see them taking a QB

NYG- Manning is just about done, so it seems pretty likely they'll be looking to nab a QB

JAX- Slam dunk here. I could see them trading the farm to go up and get one.

DET- Stafford isn't getting any younger and there have been whispers of moving him, but I don't think they do it this year

BUF- Just drafted Allen, so no.

So of the 9 teams ahead of us, that's one definite yes, one likely, and a couple of maybes.

VonDoom
02-04-2019, 07:53 AM
AZ- probably not, but Kingsbury does seem infatuated with Murray. They likely stick with Rosen though

SF- They have Jimmy G, so no QB for them.

NYJ- Just drafted Darnold, so nope

OAK- This one is a maybe. Gruden and Carr don't seem crazy about each other, so it could happen.

TB- Seems like they are sticking with Jameis, so I don't see them taking a QB

NYG- Manning is just about done, so it seems pretty likely they'll be looking to nab a QB

JAX- Slam dunk here. I could see them trading the farm to go up and get one.

DET- Stafford isn't getting any younger and there have been whispers of moving him, but I don't think they do it this year

BUF- Just drafted Allen, so no.

So of the 9 teams ahead of us, that's one definite yes, one likely, and a couple of maybes.

Giants are the most likely to draft one, IMO. My guess is that the Jaguars are still in "win now" mode with their defense and will make a play for Flacco or Foles in the hopes of having a quick turnaround. They might still want to draft someone, but if their mindset is to win, they'll want a player who can help them now.

Plus teams could still jump ahead of us so there's no guarantees. We're in a pretty good spot if we want a QB, though, and I think we do.

Tned
02-04-2019, 09:07 AM
Several mocks have had NYG and Jax picking QBs. Prior to all the "Elway loves Lock" articles, the QBs picked by them were not Lock. I haven't looked at any mocks in the last week or so.

underrated29
02-04-2019, 10:10 AM
It's the skins, dolphins, and a few other teams right behind us we have to worry about trading up.

The Glue Factory
02-04-2019, 10:53 AM
Several mocks have had NYG and Jax picking QBs. Prior to all the "Elway loves Lock" articles, the QBs picked by them were not Lock. I haven't looked at any mocks in the last week or so.

I don't understand the weight put on mock drafts. Seems to me that it's a bunch of people with no association with any of the front offices assuming they know what's going on in the front office.

I think it would be fun to see just how accurate mock drafts are. Perhaps someone could come up with a ranking system for all the mock draft crowed, something like QBR maybe?

CoachChaz
02-04-2019, 11:51 AM
Doesn't matter. We'll have Ryan Tannehill anyway.

:D

Nomad
02-04-2019, 11:53 AM

Heads would explode here.

Nomad
02-04-2019, 11:54 AM
I don't understand the weight put on mock drafts. Seems to me that it's a bunch of people with no association with any of the front offices assuming they know what's going on in the front office.

I think it would be fun to see just how accurate mock drafts are. Perhaps someone could come up with a ranking system for all the mock draft crowed, something like QBR maybe?

NFLN has the Broncos taking Devin White, so I'm good with their mock draft. :D

CoachChaz
02-04-2019, 11:56 AM
Heads would explode here.

But to be honest...I'd rather Tannehill on a 1 or 2 year deal as opposed to trotting Keenum out there again.

Nomad
02-04-2019, 12:00 PM
But to be honest...I'd rather Tannehill on a 1 or 2 year deal as opposed to trotting Keenum out there again.

Who's a QB you'd take with your 2nd, or is there a QB worth taking in the 2nd over the BPA at a need?

CoachChaz
02-04-2019, 12:08 PM
Who's a QB you'd take with your 2nd, or is there a QB worth taking in the 2nd over the BPA at a need?

Well...the QB's worth taking in the 2nd will all be taken in the 1st...so...I'd wait for a project in a later round and go BPA. There is some nice depth at the positions we need.

underrated29
02-04-2019, 12:13 PM

You shut your whore mouth!

underrated29
02-04-2019, 01:15 PM
Well...the QB's worth taking in the 2nd will all be taken in the 1st...so...I'd wait for a project in a later round and go BPA. There is some nice depth at the positions we need.

Coach, what do you think of Thoroson?
I just got done watching some of him and I cam away really impressed! Do you think hes a 4th rd guy? He reads the field so well, good arm, great mechanics!

OrangeHoof
02-04-2019, 01:22 PM
I'd rather trade for Bortles instead of Tannehill and I don't want either. At least Bortles has some record of success.

The problem with grading mocks is that you typically can't forecast trades and all it takes is one unexpected selection to alter several more picks down the list. I presume most draftniks did not have Chubb falling to us last year and we weren't really anticipating taking him but when he fell to us, we decided he was a better choice than any of the remaining QBs.

As for second-round QBs, I'll again point to Will Grier of W. Virginia. There are some who are high on Tyree Jackson of Buffalo because of his mobility and strong arm. Of course, the combine and private workouts move people up and down the board greatly.

Personally, I do mocks so I can anticipate who'll be available in what rounds so I can line up positions to draft. For example, one guy I'd love to see us draft is Benny Snell, a RB of Kentucky who is a tough runner and decent receiver who can handle a 30-carry load and would be good depth behind Lindsey. The highest draft position I've seen him taken was in the third round but he most likely goes in the fourth or fifth since the board has a lot of similar-type runners and there will be a run of RBs in the 4th or 5th with Snell being one of them. Therefore, I'd line up my draft picks to set aside a place in round 4 or 5 to take him.

Another RB I like is Bryce Love of Stanford who blew out his knee late in the year. He would have been a first-round pick if he came out last year but now he's likely to still be there in the fifth. I would take him in the 5th or 6th and then stash him for a year in hopes his knee will be ready in 2020. If I can't get Snell, I'd seriously consider taking Love and rehabbing him the first year.

CoachChaz
02-04-2019, 01:34 PM
Coach, what do you think of Thoroson?
I just got done watching some of him and I cam away really impressed! Do you think hes a 4th rd guy? He reads the field so well, good arm, great mechanics!

Honestly...if he were available in the 6th or 7th, I could see taking him, but not sooner. He does have some flaws that can be coached, but also has a lot that are just physical deficiencies. Can't coach genetics. Absolute best you could hope for is another Blake Bortles.

dogfish
02-04-2019, 01:48 PM
chaz, what do you think of stidham, and tyree jackson?

underrated29
02-04-2019, 03:08 PM

I am not chaz therefore not important, I see Stidham falling to the 3rd. Tyree to me is 6th rd or later.

CoachChaz
02-04-2019, 03:32 PM

Stidham has career back-up written all over him. I've seen him play a ton from Baylor and in the SEC and while I don't see too many "really" bad things, I still struggle to find anything that makes me optimistic, either. Especially under pressure. He definitely has to get better in that area. I saw a stat somewhere where only like 10-12% of his passes were thrown beyond his first read. Which makes sense if he doesn't handle pressure well. Also raises questions about how he reads the field and becomes predictable.

Tyree Jackson, I believe has the tools to be a project, but it's going to take a lot of time to get him there. Maybe if he had been at a better school or worked with some private QB coaches he'd be better, but he is VERY raw and probably a 3-4 year project...assuming he ever pans out.

Just my opinions.

Freyaka
02-04-2019, 03:39 PM
3. New York Jets (4-12)
8. Detroit Lions (6-10)
9. Buffalo Bills (6-10)

Raiders, bucs, giants, jags all needs QB's or in the case of the raiders are stupid enough to want a new QB... There is talk that the Lions could move on from Stafford, plus anyone could leapfrog us and take a QB.

Freyaka
02-04-2019, 03:41 PM

oh gross....

Freyaka
02-04-2019, 03:42 PM

So you'd rather have the same QB with a different name and injury problems?

CoachChaz
02-04-2019, 03:48 PM
So you'd rather have the same QB with a different name and injury problems?

I prefer neither, but if I had to choose...I think Tannehill is better. Yeah...he hasn't played a full season since 2015, but at least he's played decently for more than one season. And did it on bad teams.

I don't want it to sound like I'm campaigning for the guy, but if I have to choose Keenum and a rookie sitting for at least a year...or cutting Keenum and having Tannehill on a better contract for a year in front of that same rookie...my vote is for Tannehill. And let's face it. None of these rookie QB's will come in and start right away.

Tned
02-04-2019, 03:57 PM

Sadly, that thought crossed my mind with news of Miami letting him go.

CoachChaz
02-04-2019, 04:00 PM
Sadly, that thought crossed my mind with news of Miami letting him go.

I'm not against it. I look at it this way...

1. None of the rookie QB's will be starters this year unless it's on a rebuilding team...which we are not.
2. I'm going to assume that after free agency and due to Fangio, the defense is going to be elite again.
3. An average QB can win on a team with an elite defense
4. Would I rather the final year of Keenum running this ship? Or a manager like Tannehill on a 1-year "prove it deal"?

Only other options are trading for Foles or Flacco. My vote would be Tannehill for a year.

dogfish
02-04-2019, 04:02 PM
Stidham has career back-up written all over him. I've seen him play a ton from Baylor and in the SEC and while I don't see too many "really" bad things, I still struggle to find anything that makes me optimistic, either. Especially under pressure. He definitely has to get better in that area. I saw a stat somewhere where only like 10-12% of his passes were thrown beyond his first read. Which makes sense if he doesn't handle pressure well. Also raises questions about how he reads the field and becomes predictable.

Tyree Jackson, I believe has the tools to be a project, but it's going to take a lot of time to get him there. Maybe if he had been at a better school or worked with some private QB coaches he'd be better, but he is VERY raw and probably a 3-4 year project...assuming he ever pans out.

Just my opinions.

gracias. . . is there anyone you like out of the second tier QB group?

The Glue Factory
02-04-2019, 04:05 PM
NFLN has the Broncos taking Devin White, so I'm good with their mock draft. :D

So basically, you didn't answer any of my questions or concerns. I'll just assume that mock drafts are everybody's way of passing the time between SB and draft that has absolutely no basis in reality. Think I'll go ice fishing in Mexico for a few months. Call me when we're a couple days from the draft. TIA :D

Tned
02-04-2019, 04:14 PM
Raiders, bucs, giants, jags all needs QB's or in the case of the raiders are stupid enough to want a new QB... There is talk that the Lions could move on from Stafford, plus anyone could leapfrog us and take a QB.

I've seen it posted on here before that the Lions want to move on from Stafford, but there is close to zero chance they could trade him and likely less than zero (Robert Downey Jr. sighting) chance they cut him.

He's got $19 million guaranteed in '19 and I think the dead money would be something like $50 million if he was released. That contract means that he's with the Lions at least through '19 and possibly '20 as well.

Tned
02-04-2019, 04:17 PM
I'm not against it. I look at it this way...

1. None of the rookie QB's will be starters this year unless it's on a rebuilding team...which we are not.
2. I'm going to assume that after free agency and due to Fangio, the defense is going to be elite again.
3. An average QB can win on a team with an elite defense
4. Would I rather the final year of Keenum running this ship? Or a manager like Tannehill on a 1-year "prove it deal"?

Only other options are trading for Foles or Flacco. My vote would be Tannehill for a year.

I agree with you that he's probably a better 2019 option than Keenum. Tannehill isn't spectacular and oft hurt, but he has a lot more starting experience, and success, than Keenum.

Foles is intriguing, but I think they are going to want a lot for him and he'll be paid franchise money. Flacco isn't an intriguing option to me.

CoachChaz
02-04-2019, 04:35 PM
I agree with you that he's probably a better 2019 option than Keenum. Tannehill isn't spectacular and oft hurt, but he has a lot more starting experience, and success, than Keenum.

Foles is intriguing, but I think they are going to want a lot for him and he'll be paid franchise money. Flacco isn't an intriguing option to me.

Agreed on all.

So, if the options are a HEALTHY Tannehill, Flacco, expensive Foles or a rookie...I think the choice is obvious.

Tned
02-04-2019, 04:37 PM
Agreed on all.

So, if the options are a HEALTHY Tannehill, Flacco, expensive Foles or a rookie...I think the choice is obvious.

Rookie!!! ;)

underrated29
02-04-2019, 04:55 PM
None of these rookie QB's will come in and start right away.

I know this was not your point, but just for the record. None of the QBs last year started right away either.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-04-2019, 06:12 PM
Washington is the biggest threat to move up. As it stands now, they have zero functioning QBs. They MUST do something...or multiple things.

I think Jax goes after Foles. His old OC is there and they have a roster (or at least should) built to win now.

NYG is interesting. The seem to be a no brainer to draft someone. Guess is depends on what they think of Haskins/Murray. They may wanna get a stud defender and bank on a 2nd round option. My guess is Haskins.

Although it's liar season and Miami may take a QB...I believe that they won't risk 2020 picks to move up for one.

I don't believe for a second Oakland or Tampa takes a QB. If Carr got traded...it would be to a team mentioned above, thus simply swapping places.

And that still leaves 1 big question...who gets Flacco?

SmilinAssasSin27
02-04-2019, 06:20 PM

Stidham's completion % got worse every year he played.

Jackson is intriguing.

aberdien
02-04-2019, 07:01 PM
Dwayne Haskins reiterates he would 'love' if Giants draft him
https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/Article/Dwayne-Haskins-Giants-draft-2019-quarterback-128681224/

dogfish
02-04-2019, 07:05 PM
Dwayne Haskins reiterates he would 'love' if Giants draft him
https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/Article/Dwayne-Haskins-Giants-draft-2019-quarterback-128681224/

so would i!