PDA

View Full Version : How is Tebow out of the league...

SmilinAssasSin27
02-02-2019, 11:28 PM
...but Blaine Gabbert still has a job?

I'll hang up and listen.

FanInAZ
02-02-2019, 11:56 PM

I'll hang up and listen.

Gabbert hasn't taken a job as a college annalist, nor is playing minor league baseball.

UnderArmour
02-03-2019, 11:20 AM

I'll hang up and listen.

Tebow has little to no accuracy in practice. Part of being a backup QB is getting quality reps to backup skill players to aid their development and giving quality looks to the first team defense while doing scout team. Tebow cannot consistently throw the football with accuracy, so he would give the first team defense terrible looks on scout team, and make it hard for backup skill players to develop.

Hope that helps.

Valar Morghulis
02-03-2019, 11:30 AM
I wonder if eagles, pats and jets fans, also all see Tebow as the great qb that their team was too stupid to keep?

The way we lament the demise of this dude is insane.

Jsteve01
02-03-2019, 11:41 AM
I love Tim Tebow as a person and a leader, but Tebow is similar to Kaepernick in that you would need a system in place for him. And nobody's going to build a system around a backup quarterback. So you're going to need spread concept more RPO. And honestly that would be more opportunity for him if he were drafted in the next couple of years then the 9 years ago that he was actually drafted.

Shazam!
02-03-2019, 11:44 AM
Cause he cant throw

Northman
02-03-2019, 12:01 PM
Does Gabbert really have a job though? Are we putting that much stock into a backup QB now?

SmilinAssasSin27
02-03-2019, 12:13 PM
I wonder if eagles, pats and jets fans, also all see Tebow as the great qb that their team was too stupid to keep?

I'm not a huge Tebow guy. F the Gators.

A-boring offseason
B-it simply baffles me that the Gabberts of the world are still employed.

Northman
02-03-2019, 12:18 PM
I'm not a huge Tebow guy. F the Gators.

A-boring offseason
B-it simply baffles me that the Gabberts of the world are still employed.

Maybe he just holds the clipboard better.

aberdien
02-03-2019, 12:29 PM
Would you rather have a vanilla but adequate backup who does his job, or an inspiring backup who can't throw with a rabid fanbase hankering for him to get another chance?

UnderArmour
02-03-2019, 12:37 PM
Would you rather have a vanilla but adequate backup who does his job, or an inspiring backup who can't throw with a rabid fanbase hankering for him to get another chance?

I don't really think the circus played into it at all. Guy just can't perform backup QB responsibilities because of no accuracy, hence why the Patriots dropped him. He is a good fit as a utility player the way the Saints are using Hill, but I don't think that's what Tebow ever wanted to do.

Poet
02-03-2019, 12:40 PM
No group is more persecuted than Christians.

Nomad
02-03-2019, 01:11 PM
Does Gabbert really have a job though? Are we putting that much stock into a backup QB now?

He's getting paid a nice salary to suck.

BroncoWave
02-03-2019, 01:26 PM

All backup QBs suck. If they were any good they'd be starting.

aberdien
02-03-2019, 01:28 PM
We make fun of backup QBs as if we get paid millions of dollars to sit on a bench and hang out with supermodels.

Northman
02-03-2019, 01:30 PM
We make fun of backup QBs as if we're millionaires with supermodels for wives.

Yea, nothing to make fun of here.

https://chumley.barstoolsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/12/paxton-lynch-dab.gif

SmilinAssasSin27
02-03-2019, 01:37 PM

But he Tebow sucks...without the occasional late game heroics

SmilinAssasSin27
02-03-2019, 01:41 PM
Aren't random late night out of the blue threads fun?

MOtorboat
02-03-2019, 01:42 PM
Aren't random late night out of the blue threads fun?

The only thing the thread is missing is Falco humping the walls.

aberdien
02-03-2019, 01:43 PM
Yea, nothing to make fun of here.

https://chumley.barstoolsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/12/paxton-lynch-dab.gif

https://overthecap.com/player/paxton-lynch/4744/

Career Earnings: $8,334,083

https://www.remaxurbanproperties.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/26047128_10215506440398858_1787685589248190354_n.j pg

https://media1.tenor.com/images/4509cc11578c3572f39d3f4936eba56a/tenor.gif?itemid=7305591

Northman
02-03-2019, 01:45 PM
Thats a man baby!

aberdien
02-03-2019, 01:48 PM
Thats a man baby!

https://www.instagram.com/gabrielle__michelle/?hl=en

Okay!

Northman
02-03-2019, 01:53 PM
https://www.instagram.com/gabrielle__michelle/?hl=en

Okay!

I think that is Jenner's brother.

Jsteve01
02-03-2019, 10:47 PM

Right...like Steve Young and Kirk Cousins and ....sort I had to

BroncoWave
02-03-2019, 10:49 PM
Right...like Steve Young and Kirk Cousins and ....sort I had to

Well Steve young was behind Montana, and cousins is pretty mediocre. In any case, both were only backups in their first few years. Young QBs sitting behind more established (or in cousins case more highly drafted) QBs are the exceptions to this. Other than cases like that, though, if you're a backup QB you likely aren't very good.

ShaneFalco
02-04-2019, 12:20 AM

I'll hang up and listen.

listen to haters on this forum and they will have you believe gabbert is a better qb then tebow, just like kyle orton "was". :)

we all know the real.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-04-2019, 12:53 AM

I agree! Does that mean we, as a forum, can drop the crazy talk of Nick Foles ever being our QB? :D

Dreadnought
02-04-2019, 09:18 AM

Not Nick Foles...

BroncoWave
02-04-2019, 09:26 AM
Not Nick Foles...

The jury is still out on him. There are exceptions to every rule, and he could very well be one, but for the most part backups are backups for a reason. My main point with this is the assertion that "Gabbert sucks, so he shouldn't be a backup QB while Tebow is out of the league". The truth is that both suck, as do most backup QBs, but NFL teams clearly see more value in having Gabbert as a backup than Tebow, and I can't say I disagree with them.

broncofaninfla
02-04-2019, 09:53 AM
Honestly its a good point. L Jackson from the Ravens has the same skill set and he's starting for the Ravens. The Ravens seem all in on a QB who can't throw the ball and building an offense around it. Can't help but think Tebow would be a perfect back up to Jackson there if they are building a scheme around those deficiencies.

BroncoWave
02-04-2019, 09:57 AM
Honestly its a good point. L Jackson from the Ravens has the same skill set and he's starting for the Ravens. The Ravens seem all in on a QB who can't throw the ball and building an offense around it. Can't help but think Tebow would be a perfect back up to Jackson there if they are building a scheme around those deficiencies.

Tebow played for what, 3 or 4 teams? And none of them found him worthy of keeping around as a backup. Ultimately, if a team thought he could help him win they would have brought him in. And it certainly didn't help him how rabid his fanbase is. Literally the last thing a team wants in a backup QB is someone who (even if it's through no control of their own) is going to be a distraction.

broncofaninfla
02-04-2019, 10:08 AM
Tebow played for what, 3 or 4 teams? And none of them found him worthy of keeping around as a backup. Ultimately, if a team thought he could help him win they would have brought him in. And it certainly didn't help him how rabid his fanbase is. Literally the last thing a team wants in a backup QB is someone who (even if it's through no control of their own) is going to be a distraction.

This is true but no team wanted to take a risk on a QB that couldn't pass the ball consistently until the Ravens this year. They seem to be all in on tailoring on offense for that skill set so it could be argued that Tebow could play, even as a back up, in a offense like that. Agreed on the distraction part but I'll put that more on the media than the fan base. The same circus that follows Kaps as well.

Dapper Dan
02-04-2019, 11:30 AM

Buff will do it for $20.

BroncoWave
02-04-2019, 11:33 AM
Buff will do it for $20.

Dave will do it for free.

Dapper Dan
02-04-2019, 11:45 AM
Dave will do it for free.

He uses too much teeth.

Northman
02-04-2019, 12:08 PM
Honestly its a good point. L Jackson from the Ravens has the same skill set and he's starting for the Ravens. .

Its early, i doubt he lasts in the league to be honest.

broncofaninfla
02-04-2019, 02:02 PM
Its early, i doubt he lasts in the league to be honest. I agree. After seeing how awful he actually is at throwing the ball I was shocked the Ravens stuck with him but they did and seem focused on going all in on the kid. I can see the Ravens being heavy players in drafting a QB next year which may be easier for them to do if Jackson plays at the same level again next year.

FanInAZ
02-04-2019, 03:45 PM

Tebow tried out for 4 teams, but 2 of them (Patriots & Eagles) cut him at the end of training camp. The Jets' own forced him on their HC, who responded by making him a punt protector. The only NFL team in which he actually played QB for was the Broncos.

Northman
02-04-2019, 03:54 PM
Tebow tried out for 4 teams, but 2 of them (Patriots & Eagles) cut him at the end of training camp. The Jets' own forced him on their HC, who responded by making him a punt protector. The only NFL team in which he actually played QB for was the Broncos.

I think Wave's point is (and i agree) that Tebow started for Denver but failed to beat out competition for a job on 3 other teams. The fact he could not win a job in a Chip Kelly offense says a lot.

broncofaninfla
02-05-2019, 10:49 AM
Is Jackson any better than Tebow? From I've seen it's a no. My point is no team has really ever committed to a QB that can't actually throw the ball consistently until the Ravens just did so with Jackson. Given the similar skill set I think Tebow could play in an offense that is being tailored now for Jackson. I don't think either of them would make a roster with a conventional offense, Tebow obviously didn't.

PatriotsGuy
02-05-2019, 11:36 AM

Nope !

BroncoWave
02-05-2019, 11:41 AM
That's a pretty unfair comparison though. He didn't lead the Pats, eagles, or Jets to a division title and epic playoff win as their starting QB. So obviously broncos fans are going to have more of an attachment to him in that regard.

BroncoJoe
02-05-2019, 12:22 PM
Just an incredibly over talked about subject, but I'll interject my opinion anyway:

Tebow would have been a better prospect and potential (note potential) QB if everyone hadn't f****d with his throwing motion. He was consistently on the north side of 66% completions @ Florida. His "win at all costs" attitude was contagious and it's clear he lifted the Broncos that year to play better and fight to the end and never give up.

/thread

BroncoWave
02-05-2019, 12:35 PM
Just an incredibly over talked about subject, but I'll interject my opinion anyway:

Tebow would have been a better prospect and potential (note potential) QB if everyone hadn't f****d with his throwing motion. He was consistently on the north side of 66% completions @ Florida. His "win at all costs" attitude was contagious and it's clear he lifted the Broncos that year to play better and fight to the end and never give up.

/thread

I actually agree that having all those coaches try to fix his throwing motion probably ruined his career. He always played his best when he was just out there improvising and not worrying about his mechanics late in games. Yeah he had a funky/slow throwing motion in college, but it's what worked for him. Guys like Rivers did just fine with a funky throwing motion.

I think if Tebow had never tried to change his mechanics, he'd still be in the league as at least a backup.

Valar Morghulis
02-05-2019, 04:07 PM
That's a pretty unfair comparison though. He didn't lead the Pats, eagles, or Jets to a division title and epic playoff win as their starting QB. So obviously broncos fans are going to have more of an attachment to him in that regard.

Well they all saw what he was capable of.

Northman
02-05-2019, 04:14 PM
Not sure if i buy into the coaches ruined him, the coaches are there for a reason and they try to help many QB's correct the flaws they have when they get to the pros. The other issue for Tebow was reading the playbook, the Pats certainly made it sound like (Tebow wouldnt be the first to have this problem there) Tim had an issue grasping their playbook. Not sure if that was the same issue in NY or Philly but that is something that gets brought up a lot with Tebow outside of his mechanics. The year that Tebow helped Denver get to the playoffs was exciting for sure but i still think it was an anomaly and he would have crashed back down to earth anyway. I think because Tebow was a such a likable guy people dont really want to look at the actual issues he had as a QB.

Shazam!
02-05-2019, 04:40 PM
He couldn't be worse than what Denver has fielded the last few years.

I know him and Lindsay would have been a dynamic backfield.

TXBRONC
02-05-2019, 04:44 PM
He couldn't be worse than what Denver has fielded the last few years.

I know him and Lindsay would have been a dynamic backfield.

Yeah he could be and if fact was worse than what we have had the past few years.

BroncoWave
02-05-2019, 06:23 PM
Not sure if i buy into the coaches ruined him, the coaches are there for a reason and they try to help many QB's correct the flaws they have when they get to the pros. The other issue for Tebow was reading the playbook, the Pats certainly made it sound like (Tebow wouldnt be the first to have this problem there) Tim had an issue grasping their playbook. Not sure if that was the same issue in NY or Philly but that is something that gets brought up a lot with Tebow outside of his mechanics. The year that Tebow helped Denver get to the playoffs was exciting for sure but i still think it was an anomaly and he would have crashed back down to earth anyway. I think because Tebow was a such a likable guy people dont really want to look at the actual issues he had as a QB.

I don't think the broncos coaches ruined him. I think it was all the private coaches he hired before the draft to fix his mechanics. I think he got in his own head and his accuracy never recovered. As others have said, he was very accurate in college.

Northman
02-06-2019, 02:04 AM
As others have said, he was very accurate in college.

Most QB's in college are but a lot of those same QB's dont make it at the professional level. When you are used to playing against guys who will be selling insurance after college it tends to be a lot easier make completions. At the professional level you are playing the best of the best.

For an example, https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2340678-power-ranking-the-10-greatest-college-football-qbs-of-all-time#slide2

Out of the QB's who missed the cut on this list only ONE is actually a solid starter (Luck).

11. Jameis Winston, Florida State
12. Case Keenum, Houston
13. Robert Griffin III, Baylor
14. Andre Ware, Houston
15. Jason White, Oklahoma
16. Danny Wuerffel, Florida
17. Ty Detmer, BYU
18. Troy Smith, Ohio State
19. Andrew Luck, Stanford
20. Colt McCoy, Texas
21. Chris Weinke, Florida State
22. Gino Torretta, Miami (Florida)
23. Charlie Ward, Florida State
24. Landry Jones, Oklahoma
25. Vince Young, Texas

As to their top 10 list, only 3 have been long term starters but all 3 wouldnt even be considered the best of the NFL (Bradford, Mariota, and Newton). Its why you cant put that much stock into the college stats.

ShaneFalco
02-06-2019, 02:22 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/104pMBh4FLFeQE/giphy.gif

BroncoWave
02-06-2019, 06:49 AM
Most QB's in college are but a lot of those same QB's dont make it at the professional level. When you are used to playing against guys who will be selling insurance after college it tends to be a lot easier make completions. At the professional level you are playing the best of the best.

For an example, https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2340678-power-ranking-the-10-greatest-college-football-qbs-of-all-time#slide2

Out of the QB's who missed the cut on this list only ONE is actually a solid starter (Luck).

11. Jameis Winston, Florida State
12. Case Keenum, Houston
13. Robert Griffin III, Baylor
14. Andre Ware, Houston
15. Jason White, Oklahoma
16. Danny Wuerffel, Florida
17. Ty Detmer, BYU
18. Troy Smith, Ohio State
19. Andrew Luck, Stanford
20. Colt McCoy, Texas
21. Chris Weinke, Florida State
22. Gino Torretta, Miami (Florida)
23. Charlie Ward, Florida State
24. Landry Jones, Oklahoma
25. Vince Young, Texas

As to their top 10 list, only 3 have been long term starters but all 3 wouldnt even be considered the best of the NFL (Bradford, Mariota, and Newton). Its why you cant put that much stock into the college stats.

North, I'm not a simpleton so I'm not really taking about stats. I'm talking about the fact that in the NFL, he would miss easy throws to wide open receivers which were throws he didn't miss in college. He didn't overthrow open players in the NFL by 10 yards because NFL defenses are harder. That happened because he screwed up his mechanics after college and had no confidence in his new ones. When it got late in games and he was just improvising was when he played his best football, because he wasn't thinking about his mechanics. You don't go from being a 66% passer in college to a less than 50% passer in the NFL just because the defenses are that much better. Something else happened that screwed him up between college and the NFL.

Valar Morghulis
02-06-2019, 07:27 AM
North, I'm not a simpleton so I'm not really taking about stats. I'm talking about the fact that in the NFL, he would miss easy throws to wide open receivers which were throws he didn't miss in college. He didn't overthrow open players in the NFL by 10 yards because NFL defenses are harder. That happened because he screwed up his mechanics after college and had no confidence in his new ones. When it got late in games and he was just improvising was when he played his best football, because he wasn't thinking about his mechanics. You don't go from being a 66% passer in college to a less than 50% passer in the NFL just because the defenses are that much better. Something else happened that screwed him up between college and the NFL.

The very nature of the NFL is faster, more competitive, higher expectations, bigger consequences when it goes wrong..... All of these things contributed in my opinion. When you add in New mechanics to all those other computations, you might have a point. But, He just didn't have what it takes to adapt and only thrived when he was allowed to go play some backyard ball.

BroncoWave
02-06-2019, 07:47 AM
The very nature of the NFL is faster, more competitive, higher expectations, bigger consequences when it goes wrong..... All of these things contributed in my opinion. When you add in New mechanics to all those other computations, you might have a point. But, He just didn't have what it takes to adapt and only thrived when he was allowed to go play some backyard ball.

No doubt. I just think if he didn't have to spend so much time worrying about his mechanics, he would have had more confidence to go out and play his game. That doesn't mean I think he would have been a star, but I think he would have been a competent enough player to at least stick around as a backup.

Valar Morghulis
02-06-2019, 07:56 AM
No doubt. I just think if he didn't have to spend so much time worrying about his mechanics, he would have had more confidence to go out and play his game. That doesn't mean I think he would have been a star, but I think he would have been a competent enough player to at least stick around as a backup.

Even when we disagree, we still kinda agree. We should have babies

Jsteve01
02-06-2019, 07:56 AM
The whole idea that you draft someone in the first thinking youre going to change what has been ingrained their whole athletic life is asinine. Shame on mcd and the coaches who convinced him to do it. Refine? Ok ...tweak...yeah thats good. But completely rework is just dumb. Imagine drafting Reggie Miller with the intent of reworking that ugly ass shot

Jsteve01
02-06-2019, 07:58 AM

Dave is it chilly in the uk?

BroncoWave
02-06-2019, 08:02 AM

Let's do it!

Valar Morghulis
02-06-2019, 08:04 AM
Dave is it chilly in the uk?

Not overly, and never for longer than a few weeks each year.

Last week Scotland dropped to minus 15, but this is rare. Maybe minus five a few days each year, then it spends about six months hovering around 10 lol with a few nice days added in

We have no real extremes the way you guys do, just a lot of mediocre

Bloody hell, that was a long boring answer. Sorry dude!

BroncoWave
02-06-2019, 08:08 AM
The whole idea that you draft someone in the first thinking youre going to change what has been ingrained their whole athletic life is asinine. Shame on mcd and the coaches who convinced him to do it. Refine? Ok ...tweak...yeah thats good. But completely rework is just dumb. Imagine drafting Reggie Miller with the intent of reworking that ugly ass shot

I think a lot of it started even before we picked him. There were all kinds of people in his head telling him he needed to change his mechanics to be a good NFL quarterback, and he bought into it. He was working with several "QB gurus" before the draft to try to change his throwing motion.

Northman
02-06-2019, 08:56 AM

Miller had nothing on McHale.

slim
02-06-2019, 10:05 AM

I never thought I would say this, but you are absolutely right. Nice work in here!

BroncoWave
02-06-2019, 10:37 AM
I never thought I would say this, but you are absolutely right. Nice work in here!

I'm usually right. Glad to see you finally come around. :D

Rick
02-06-2019, 11:01 AM
For the most part a backup QB should be seen and not heard.

The biggest reason Tebow is out of the league is that 6 years or so after the guy hasn't played a single snap people are still talking about a guy with a career 47.9 completion percentage. He has backup talent and he is a hell of a guy but the circus that follows him makes it impossible for a team to keep him on the roster and avoid the distractions.

Freyaka
02-11-2019, 12:15 PM

I'll hang up and listen.

That's actually a great question.

Too bad for Tebow that AAF didn't come along sooner, that would have been a great way to revive his football career.

BroncoWave
02-11-2019, 12:19 PM
That's actually a great question.

Too bad for Tebow that AAF didn't come along sooner, that would have been a great way to revive his football career.

I think we was so in his own head trying to use his new throwing mechanics that not much was going to save his football career. He would have needed a coach that said "forget these new mechanics you're trying to force on yourself. Go out there and do what made you the best college football player ever." Maybe then he could have had some modicum of success.

Freyaka
02-11-2019, 12:20 PM
He uses too much teeth.

Well #YouGetWhatYouPayFor

Freyaka
02-11-2019, 12:23 PM
I think we was so in his own head trying to use his new throwing mechanics that not much was going to save his football career. He would have needed a coach that said "forget these new mechanics you're trying to force on yourself. Go out there and do what made you the best college football player ever." Maybe then he could have had some modicum of success.

I'm by no means a Tebow wall humper, but I think he just was born a few years too early. The RPO is starting to really take off in the NFL. With a better coach that wasn't trying to fix what was only kinda broken (in mechanics like you pointed out) and a better offensive system, who knows.

I do think the mechanics really just messed everything up... I think the whole reason he sucked all game is because he spent 3 quarters trying to throw it the right way, then when it was desperation time he reverted back to the way he was comfortable with and things were good.

BroncoWave
02-11-2019, 12:24 PM
I'm by no means a Tebow wall humper, but I think he just was born a few years too early. The RPO is starting to really take off in the NFL. With a better coach that wasn't trying to fix what was only kinda broken (in mechanics like you pointed out) and a better offensive system, who knows.

I do think the mechanics really just messed everything up... I think the whole reason he sucked all game is because he spent 3 quarters trying to throw it the right way, then when it was desperation time he reverted back to the way he was comfortable with and things were good.

100% agree with all of this.

Freyaka
02-11-2019, 03:07 PM
I'm gonna go full shane here though... Never go full shane.

Kareem Hunt just got signed, after watching Chad Kelly's practice footage recently, why the hell isn't he getting a second chance. He just sat in someone's house uninvited...Hunt actually beat a woman.

Northman
02-11-2019, 03:11 PM

Nah, 4 teams and no one bit on him? Cant say i agree at all.

BroncoWave
02-11-2019, 03:12 PM
I'm gonna go full shane here though... Never go full shane.

Kareem Hunt just got signed, after watching Chad Kelly's practice footage recently, why the hell isn't he getting a second chance. He just sat in someone's house uninvited...Hunt actually beat a woman.

Hunt has proven he can play at a pro bowl level and Kelly has taken one regular season snap ever, which was a kneel down. Little bit different scenarios. I've maintained several times now, though, that an AAF team needs to sign him ASAP. Prove you can play well and keep your head on straight in that league and I bet another NFL team gives him a chance.

Northman
02-11-2019, 03:17 PM
Hunt has proven he can play at a pro bowl level and Kelly has taken one regular season snap ever, which was a kneel down. Little bit different scenarios. I've maintained several times now, though, that an AAF team needs to sign him ASAP. Prove you can play well and keep your head on straight in that league and I bet another NFL team gives him a chance.

Agreed. Kelly was a practice and preseason warrior, thats it. But the AAF would be good for him if he still wanted to prove something.

Freyaka
02-11-2019, 03:25 PM

I agree on the AAF thing. I mean, he's gotta be better than Christian Hackenberg RIGHT?

BroncoWave
02-11-2019, 03:28 PM
I agree on the AAF thing. I mean, he's gotta be better than Christian Hackenberg RIGHT?

I'd sure think so. If not, he shouldn't be in the NFL regardless.

UnderArmour
02-11-2019, 09:12 PM
For the most part a backup QB should be seen and not heard.

The biggest reason Tebow is out of the league is that 6 years or so after the guy hasn't played a single snap people are still talking about a guy with a career 47.9 completion percentage. He has backup talent and he is a hell of a guy but the circus that follows him makes it impossible for a team to keep him on the roster and avoid the distractions.

This is false. The "circus" has nothing to do with Tebow being out of the league.

Teams run certain offenses, and have a limited amount of practice time to get guys meaningful reps. Tebow's 47.9 completion percentage prevents him from running as a #2 QB, because how is a guy like that going to help the 2s get better? How can he run a scout team either? Paxton Lynch's absence from the league last year, even on a practice squad, is evidence of this. QBs gotta be able to throw accurate balls to stay on a roster.

broncofaninfla
02-12-2019, 04:29 PM
This is false. The "circus" has nothing to do with Tebow being out of the league.

Teams run certain offenses, and have a limited amount of practice time to get guys meaningful reps. Tebow's 47.9 completion percentage prevents him from running as a #2 QB, because how is a guy like that going to help the 2s get better? How can he run a scout team either? Paxton Lynch's absence from the league last year, even on a practice squad, is evidence of this. QBs gotta be able to throw accurate balls to stay on a roster.

Agreed but how do you explain Jackson in Baltimore? The Ravens are literally handing over the reigns to a QB who has the same skill set as Tebow. It sounds as though they are going to scheme their offense to what he does do well but 2018 was proof that the kid throws the ball with the same limitations and skill set as Tebow. Time will tell if it'll work but for now neither would succeed in an conventional NFL offense.

Rick
02-12-2019, 04:34 PM

It is not 100% related to the circus that follows him but you are kidding yourself if you think it doesn't factor.

The circus that would surround Kap is the only reason he isn't a backup somewhere. It plays a part.

Personally I think with the evolving NFL, having a backup that can play the RPO is the exact backup you would want, someone that can actually prepare your defense for the concepts.

Cugel
02-12-2019, 06:15 PM
Tebow sucked his way out of the league. Tebowites have never been able to admit this. He SUCKED for three different teams and they all cut him. Then some teams were willing to sign him as a TE but he refused. Then he tried baseball and commenting on SEC games after his career ended.

End of story. :coffee:

UnderArmour
02-12-2019, 06:35 PM
Agreed but how do you explain Jackson in Baltimore? The Ravens are literally handing over the reigns to a QB who has the same skill set as Tebow. It sounds as though they are going to scheme their offense to what he does do well but 2018 was proof that the kid throws the ball with the same limitations and skill set as Tebow. Time will tell if it'll work but for now neither would succeed in an conventional NFL offense.

There are major skill-set differences between Tebow and Jackson. There are lots of guys that do what Jackson does, just not nearly as well. With Tebow? Besides maybe Taysom Hill, there's really nobody.

Jackson's accuracy woes aren't as bad as Tebow's. The Ravens also drafted Jackson with the sole intention of developing him into their starting QB, and tailoring an offense around him. Unlike Tebow, who was a pounding QB, there actually are suitable backup QBs in the league for Lamar Jackson. RG3 and Tyrod Taylor could suit up for 8 games, and make something happen. There are any number of athletic option QBs that come out of college every year that make for late round "slide in for a game" starters for a Lamar Jackson. It's not completely out of the realm of reality to tailor your entire organizational direction around a QB like Jackson.

Tebow, on the other hand, was one-of-a-kind as a football prospect. We're talking a bruising back that can throw the football. How many QBs in the NFL could you name that could honestly back Tebow up, without entirely changing the offense? Off the top of my head, you'd maybe back Tebow up with Taysom Hill? And I'm certainly not overstating the importance of backup QB here, because mobile QBs do get injured.

ShaneFalco
02-13-2019, 04:03 PM
tebow out of the league, but hey joe fugging flaco is still in it!

Northman
02-13-2019, 04:15 PM

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9e/9f/f9/9e9ff94a6065ec8d3d2af9721735651d.jpg

TXBRONC
02-13-2019, 04:22 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9e/9f/f9/9e9ff94a6065ec8d3d2af9721735651d.jpg

Seems pretty clear why Flacco is still in the League.

ShaneFalco
02-13-2019, 04:43 PM
So Broncos to the superbowl? book it?

Amazing how Flacco just changed the entire culture in one offseason. He is a SB champion after all.....

TXBRONC
02-13-2019, 04:48 PM

Amazing how Flacco just changed the entire culture in one offseason. He is a SB champion after all.....

That's not what North was getting at Shane.

BroncoJoe
02-13-2019, 05:25 PM

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61ei1ua34YL._SL1024_.jpg

Freyaka
02-15-2019, 12:49 PM

Flacco's won a Superbowl, when did Timmy boy do that?

Freyaka
02-15-2019, 12:50 PM

Why must you always take anything said and just turn it into complete hyperbole? I don't think anyone realistically thinks we have a good shot at a Superbowl with Flacco.

Poet
02-15-2019, 01:07 PM
Why must you always take anything said and just turn it into complete hyperbole? I don't think anyone realistically thinks we have a good shot at a Superbowl with Flacco.

I don't think SF's being too unreasonable here.

Freyaka
02-15-2019, 01:13 PM

Who have you seen acting like we're winning a superbowl because of this move? For that matter who on these boards is even overly excited about this move? Most of us were thoroughly unenthused. I think Shane's off base with this constant "OH SO WE'RE GOING TO THE SUPERBOWL WITH FLACCO" nonsense.

I've not seen a single person even suggest playoffs are likely, just that he's an upgrade over Case. Which is really, the lowest of low bars you can set at this point in time.

TXBRONC
02-15-2019, 01:13 PM

That's a matter of opinion I guess, because I too think he went a bit over the top.

Poet
02-15-2019, 04:36 PM
Who have you seen acting like we're winning a superbowl because of this move? For that matter who on these boards is even overly excited about this move? Most of us were thoroughly unenthused. I think Shane's off base with this constant "OH SO WE'RE GOING TO THE SUPERBOWL WITH FLACCO" nonsense.

I've not seen a single person even suggest playoffs are likely, just that he's an upgrade over Case. Which is really, the lowest of low bars you can set at this point in time.

If the response to a question about his merits (whether the question is implicit or explicit) is he's won a SB, then his response is fine. It's a coy way, really, of picking apart some of Flacco's resume.

I saw on some sports show Flacco is last in QBR, TDs, and win loss record for any starting QB in the league since 2012 with 75 starts. I expect he can be better than that, but it's a projection.

Northman
02-15-2019, 04:53 PM

Yes and no.

I love Shane, i really do but if you are being honest at all the guys that Shane Loves/trumps/champions whatever have never tasted the success that Flacco has. Keep in mind, this does not make Flacco a HOF QB, in fact he probably has a lot more in common with Trent Difler and Brad Johnson. But the point i was making is that Flacco does have that experience, he does have far more consistency in the NFL with holding down a starting job than Kelly or Tebow and that is what im getting at.

Shane's comment was why one guy was in the league the other was not. My picture of Joe with the trophy wasnt to say that Denver is going to win the SB with him, only that Flacco has indeed done something that Tebow and Kelly have not. And lets be clear here, when it comes to Dilfer and Johnson both of those guys had way better defenses than Joe had when he won the SB. If Denver can at the very least get "that" version of Flacco i think we will be ok for a couple of years while we try and find our next QB.

Poet
02-15-2019, 05:49 PM
Yes and no.

I love Shane, i really do but if you are being honest at all the guys that Shane Loves/trumps/champions whatever have never tasted the success that Flacco has. Keep in mind, this does not make Flacco a HOF QB, in fact he probably has a lot more in common with Trent Difler and Brad Johnson. But the point i was making is that Flacco does have that experience, he does have far more consistency in the NFL with holding down a starting job than Kelly or Tebow and that is what im getting at.

Shane's comment was why one guy was in the league the other was not. My picture of Joe with the trophy wasnt to say that Denver is going to win the SB with him, only that Flacco has indeed done something that Tebow and Kelly have not. And lets be clear here, when it comes to Dilfer and Johnson both of those guys had way better defenses than Joe had when he won the SB. If Denver can at the very least get "that" version of Flacco i think we will be ok for a couple of years while we try and find our next QB.

I agree his guys aren't as successful as Flacco was. But I think, at heart of SF's commentary, is that it's just that, he was. And I know that you know that because you're a Viking. I don't disagree with you about the holding down a job, either.

I also get your standpoint to - it's not like you're expecting a SB win, but an experienced hand at QB does have some merit.

Cugel
02-15-2019, 10:33 PM
Yes and no.

I think that might be the most unbelievable understatement of the new Millenium.

Let me see if I get this straight. If the Broncos could only get the miracle 2012 Joe Flacco, the'd be "ok" for a couple of years "until they could find their new QB?" Did I hear that right?

2012 Joe Flacco had a career moment. He was that guy who gets suddenly hot in the playoffs he is shocked they even have gotten into. And somehow, unexpectedly, they go on a run and just keep going until they win a Super Bowl. For reasons that in retrospect never make any real sense, but somehow, inside the locker room, they just seemed to make sense at the time. And somehow, magically it just seemed to work.

The seas parted before him, Rahim Moore fell over his own shoes, and suddenly, magically, the Ravens get past the 13-3 Broncos and even ambush the Patriots in a game where the Ravens scored 28 point, and utterly dominated the Patriots in the second half, scoring 21 points in the second half while Flacco threw 3 TDs.

It's just about the only time the Patriots lost an AFC Playoff Game at Gillette Stadium. They hardly ever lose there, but they lost that day, and badly.

Then of course they went on to crush the 49ers in the SB. It would have been a total blowout except for the extensive power failure time out that allowed the shellshocked and clearly beaten 49ers to clearly re-group and make a game of it in the second half.

I would love to be 25 again and meet my ex-girlfriend when I was living in NY, and go through all those wonderful experiences again. We'd get into all the exclusive clubs in NY where especially the ones where the snobby door men used to take screening out the unglamourous and un-famous as their job description. But we always got in right away, because she was tall and blonde and busty and beautiful and doormen took one look at her and waived her in. They'd glare at me and look me up and down in disapproval, but I got in too because I was holding her arm tight so they couldn't separate us. Those were some good times.

But, I'll never relive all those experiences ever again. I'm older now and you don't ever get to go back.

Joe Flacco doesn't ever get to go back to that magical time. He hasn't come close once in the last 5 seasons, and nobody expects him to now.

ShaneFalco
02-18-2019, 02:29 AM
Yes and no.

Shane Falco was a Replacement player. People thought Martel was all hot shit. But Falco led the Washington Sentinels to the playoffs.

FanInAZ
06-21-2020, 09:11 PM

So the Broncos win a wildcard play-off game with Tebow at QB & you throw him a ticker-tape parade every opportunity you get. The Ravens win a SB with Flacco at QB & you express nothing but contempt for him :noidea:

ShaneFalco
06-22-2020, 12:06 AM
Pretty sure i won this thread. And i didnt even bump it

Shazam!
06-22-2020, 04:02 AM
Flacco played for a few years before he got to the SB. TT didn't have that time in the league tho

FanInAZ
06-26-2020, 10:09 PM
Flacco played for a few years before he got to the SB. TT didn't have that time in the league tho

I was simply judging Flacco by the same standard that Shane judges Tebow. Note that I never said Tebow won a wild-card playoff game, nor that Flacco won a SB.

So the Broncos win a wildcard play-off game with Tebow at QB & you throw him a ticker-tape parade every opportunity you get. The Ravens win a SB with Flacco at QB & you express nothing but contempt for him :noidea:

That's because, not only do I understand that football is a team sport, but the Ravens had an old school coach who build the team around a great D and a power running game. In their scheme, the QB only needed to be good enough to burn the opposing D if they stacked 8 or 9 in the box to stop the RB (which was Ray Rice during his glory years) and to not turn the ball over. If the QB is good enough at doing that, it would force the opposing D to play with fewer men in the box, opening up the running lanes for the RB which would give them a 1-2 punch that would keep opposing Ds on their heels.

I know that stat lines don't tell full story, but they do show that he & the entire the entire Ravens' team were average to above average the year they won the SB, except in turnovers in which the excelled as usual at not giving up. https://aws.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rav/2012.htm

So the lack of turnovers, including by Flacco, probably have had more to do with the Ravens winning that SB then anything he actually did.

Simple Jaded
06-26-2020, 10:31 PM
:tape::shot::bolt:

Poet
06-27-2020, 12:59 AM
That was a methodical beating. Just a first rate butchering of a man.

capt. Jack
07-06-2020, 05:39 AM
We should start a PROTEST!!!!

😁

FanInAZ
07-06-2020, 07:05 AM
We should start a PROTEST!!!!

😁

I'll counter-protest your protest :protest:

capt. Jack
07-06-2020, 10:28 AM
I'll counter-protest your protest :protest:
Isn't that the answer to everything these days! Have a protest! :) :flame:

Tebow should have switched Position to FB.