PDA

View Full Version : Defensive mastermind Vic Fangio is the right choice for the Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2019, 01:28 PM
I was hooked at “evil genius.”

That’s how Vic Fangio was described by Chicago Bears edge rusher Khalil Mack. Now, the guy whom nobody wanted to lose in the Windy City, has become the Denver Broncos’ 17th head coach.

Denver now has a “sports partner” in crime, so to speak.

“He’s a (bleeping) mob boss. He’s the Godfather all the way,” Bears outside linebacker Aaron Lynch told the the Chicago Tribune in early December.

John Elway went big and bold by going for an “evil genius” rather than another “leader of men.” No more Mr. Nice Guy.

Elway is an ultra-competitor who knows his job is on the line — going the “safe route” wasn’t enough. Recent media reports indicated Elway was overruled by CEO and president Joe Ellis in moving on from Vance Joseph after one season and bringing back Mike Shanahan. But this time around, it appears this decision was more Elway’s to make. Ellis wasn’t even part of the in-person interview process with Fangio in Chicago, though he was with the other finalist, Mike Munchak.

rest - including endorsements - https://www.milehighreport.com/2019/1/9/18175516/vic-fangio-right-choice-for-denver-broncos-head-coach

BroncoJoe
01-09-2019, 02:10 PM
rest - including endorsements - https://www.milehighreport.com/2019/1/9/18175516/vic-fangio-right-choice-for-denver-broncos-head-coach

Loved this part, as should multiple posters here:

This hire will also force the Broncos to finally get the elite middle linebacker it’s needed for years. Fangio-coached defenses demand a dominant guy in the middle. Whether Denver gets that guy through free agency or the NFL Draft, rest assured the defense will finally get an elite middle linebacker.

Northman
01-09-2019, 02:11 PM
Hello Devin White.

G_Money
01-09-2019, 02:16 PM
Hello Devin White.

This is what I expect if he's available.

CoachChaz
01-09-2019, 02:24 PM
Hello Devin White.

Draft him...sign Landon Collins.

underrated29
01-09-2019, 02:38 PM
Tell me more about the one they call Devin White

MOtorboat
01-09-2019, 02:40 PM

He’s big and he’s fast.

Northman
01-09-2019, 02:45 PM

A destructible force.

underrated29
01-09-2019, 03:17 PM
Doesnt sound like a top 10 pick to me then.

Poet
01-09-2019, 04:43 PM
I hate things that aren't QB's, and even I want to draft Kevin White.

underrated29
01-09-2019, 04:47 PM
I hate things that aren't QB's, and even I want to draft Kevin White.

The wr for the bears??

What do you know of Devin White?

Poet
01-09-2019, 04:48 PM
The wr for the bears??

What do you know of Devin White?

OH! Typo! The style! Argh.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-09-2019, 05:27 PM
He’s big and he’s fast.

And large while being quick

Poet
01-09-2019, 05:29 PM
And large while being quick

He's the exact opposite of what we be doing right now.

MOtorboat
01-09-2019, 05:53 PM

Not really. He’s Brandon Marshall if Brandon Marshall had any speed.

Northman
01-09-2019, 05:56 PM

You are so going to hate it when we dont draft Haskins. Lol

Poet
01-09-2019, 05:56 PM
Not really. He’s Brandon Marshall if Brandon Marshall had any speed.

When I watch him play, I see intellect, speed, power, and instinct.

When I see Brandon Marshall play...I see a good human being...and a lousy LB.

Poet
01-09-2019, 05:58 PM

I already know we won't. We're going to build up the defense, never be in a position to land a real QB, and be a wild card contending team for awhile.

But at least if we are going to do it, we're going to do it right. :lol:

Davii
01-10-2019, 12:43 AM
I already know we won't. We're going to build up the defense, never be in a position to land a real QB, and be a wild card contending team for awhile.

But at least if we are going to do it, we're going to do it right. :lol:

WC next year, division champs the following. Book it

Poet
01-10-2019, 12:47 AM
WC next year, division champs the following. Book it

It's bout dem Bowls.

Davii
01-10-2019, 12:52 AM
It's bout dem Bowls.

In due time. Kubiak has, what, 4?

Poet
01-10-2019, 12:56 AM
In due time. Kubiak has, what, 4?

Yeah, he was a non-play caller for Shanahan and got another one here on a pre-built roster predicated on defense.

I'm just (and I'm saying this earnestly and honestly) glad you didn't hit me with the "a real Broncos fan would love Kubes."

Davii
01-10-2019, 01:00 PM
Yeah, he was a non-play caller for Shanahan and got another one here on a pre-built roster predicated on defense.

I'm just (and I'm saying this earnestly and honestly) glad you didn't hit me with the "a real Broncos fan would love Kubes."

So I guess we should knock down Elway’s and Peyton’s accomplishments as well. I mean, Elway had TD and Sharpe, Manning had DT and ES....

Point being: The man has four SB rings. It’s completely ****** up to minimize his accomplishments. I’d punch a man in the face were he to tell me my accomplishments meant less because of whatever.

He was a position coach for a ring, an OC for 2, and a HC for a ring. No further explanation is required. Period.

Northman
01-10-2019, 01:16 PM
So I guess we should knock down Elway’s and Peyton’s accomplishments as well. I mean, Elway had TD and Sharpe, Manning had DT and ES....

Point being: The man has four SB rings. It’s completely ****** up to minimize his accomplishments. I’d punch a man in the face were he to tell me my accomplishments meant less because of whatever.

He was a position coach for a ring, an OC for 2, and a HC for a ring. No further explanation is required. Period.

While Kubes was a factor you cant ignore the other factors either IMO. Its ok to disagree on how much of a role he played in those. Again, my opinion.

BroncoJoe
01-10-2019, 01:20 PM
While Kubes was a factor you cant ignore the other factors either IMO. Its ok to disagree on how much of a role he played in those. Again, my opinion.

Good grief.

Northman
01-10-2019, 01:31 PM
Good grief.

Yes, differing opinions are bad i know.

BroncoJoe
01-10-2019, 01:45 PM
Yes, differing opinions are bad i know.

Name a HC who didn't have a "great" team he coached that won the SB. Maybe then I'll get on board with the shit you're slinging against walls.

EDIT:

In Kubiak's 11 seasons with the team, the Broncos amassed 66,501 total yards and 465 touchdowns, the most in the NFL during that span.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Kubiak

MOtorboat
01-10-2019, 02:03 PM
Name a HC who didn't have a "great" team he coached that won the SB. Maybe then I'll get on board with the shit you're slinging against walls.

EDIT:

Tom Coughlin?

Valar Morghulis
01-10-2019, 02:26 PM
Tom Coughlin?

John Harbaugh?

Cugel
01-10-2019, 02:34 PM

YOu think Haskins is going to last to #10? Lol

Shazam!
01-10-2019, 02:40 PM
I dont get all the hate on Kubiak. Hes Broncos through and through amd reeks of Denver Super Bowls. Im so excited now. Fang didnt please me but with Kubiak? Hell yeah. Im in.

And I agree with Dav I see big changes coming

BroncoJoe
01-10-2019, 03:15 PM
Tom Coughlin?

Try again.

John Harbaugh?

Try again.

MOtorboat
01-10-2019, 03:17 PM
Try again.

Try again.

The Giants had a great team? Uh, no.

Poet
01-10-2019, 03:19 PM
The Giants had a great team? Uh, no.

The SB winning 2005-2006 team comes to mind, also. Anyone stoked on the Giants team that got in as a wild card, like the first Giants SB, or that second Steelers team? Anyone stoked about that particular Indy team that beat Chicago?

Northman
01-10-2019, 04:49 PM
YOu think Haskins is going to last to #10? Lol

No, im actually hoping he doesnt. Lol

Northman
01-10-2019, 04:50 PM
I dont get all the hate on Kubiak. Hes Broncos through and through amd reeks of Denver Super Bowls. Im so excited now. Fang didnt please me but with Kubiak? Hell yeah. Im in.

And I agree with Dav I see big changes coming

No one hates Kubiak so get that silly shit out of here. Lol

Ground Control
01-11-2019, 09:51 PM
No one hates Kubiak so get that silly shit out of here. Lol

No one hates Kubiak but quite a few are happy he won't be OC. His dogged pursuit of Dennison was all the evidence we needed to see he was archaic Kubes, hoping to get the band back together again for one last dive bar tour, as apposed to stepping into the 21rst century of NFL success. I won't say anything else negative. I'm just really happy Elway moved past him. If nothing else, it proves in a huge way that Elway is putting all his cards on the table to keep this team and his employment alive. And at least, we won't have to listen to another year of quotes by apposing defenses saying how they could sleep on the Broncos because they were so vanilla (VGJ there, not Kubes but Kubiak was also one of 'those guys' as an OC.

Poet
01-11-2019, 10:05 PM
No one hates Kubiak but quite a few are happy he won't be OC. His dogged pursuit of Dennison was all the evidence we needed to see he was archaic Kubes, hoping to get the band back together again for one last dive bar tour, as apposed to stepping into the 21rst century of NFL success. I won't say anything else negative. I'm just really happy Elway moved past him. If nothing else, it proves in a huge way that Elway is putting all his cards on the table to keep this team and his employment alive. And at least, we won't have to listen to another year of quotes by apposing defenses saying how they could sleep on the Broncos because they were so vanilla (VGJ there, not Kubes but Kubiak was also one of 'those guys' as an OC.

Kubiak was present for the SB win. He hadn't been a great OC in quite some time, either. If he wasn't willing to adapt his offense for some college schemes, like many of the top teams are doing right now, and he wanted his former subordinates who didn't do a good job, he has no business here.

This is a big day for Denver. A good day.

Traveler
01-11-2019, 10:09 PM

I've been critical of Elway lately as a GM. Today, I actually applaud the stance he took with Kubiak. My original thought was Elway was screwing up the head coaching search by making Kubiak the defacto OC. Making matters worse, GK wanted to bring in his boys., i.e. Dennison and Pariani.

A new HC should be able to assemble his own staff. Best news of the day when it was announced DEN was going in another direction. It is also relief that Fangio held to his principles on what type of offensive scheme he wants.

Maybe Elway really did look into the mirror and reviewed his past actions in regards to this coaching search.

Ground Control
01-11-2019, 10:28 PM

EDIT:

Head coaches that make the SB inherit good teams, at worst, and make them 'great'. Otherwise, your link is about Kubes as the OC and QB coach in Denver. IMO, Kubes did what needed to be done by a guy that has been around the block, and knew enough to not trip up himself or his players in 2015. Wade Phillips won SB 2015 (besides Kubiak's QB whispering to Osweiller). Manning as well, but only in that he didn't let his or Kubes incompetence interfere with the brilliance that was Wade Phillips and our D. Kubes' time as OC and QB coach in Denver can mostly be attributed to Mike, true? Mike's system is the one anyone talks about when mentioning Kubes. No one talks of the 'Kubiak Offense' or coaching tree, right? He did a good job. He is maybe the QB savant that he is attributed to being. In fact, he probably is. His worth as a HC is questionable though, outside of Wade/ Manning influence. His worth as an independent OC is proven for one year of brilliance in Baltimore.

Don't get me wrong. He's a competent play caller. If I had to bet my savings against his ability to read a defense and understand advanced FB concepts, I wouldn't do it. Would I bet against his ability to take what he knows and apply it against the best and brightest the NFL currently has to offer in opposition successfully? Yes, absolutely. I may lose but I think Vegas would make my odds less than attractive, in that they would lean towards Kubes being outplayed and out-coached in the current NFL. He is a derivative of a philosophy that has become so very basic and over played in the league. He is a rep for the vanilla offense that rookies play against in training camp and that we see in pre-season games. He was never even a master or originator of that system. How could we expect him to anything more than that? I would rather have him, than say Musgrave but that's only because Musgrave is even more a derivative than Kubes is. Fangio can better run an offense in the modern NFL as a guy that decimates the best of NFL offenses than Kubiak, IMO. I could be wrong but obviously John Elway agrees. As well as the HC of the Broncos and Godfather, Fangio.

: )

Ground Control
01-11-2019, 10:45 PM
I've been critical of Elway lately as a GM. Today, I actually applaud the stance he took with Kubiak. My original thought was Elway was screwing up the head coaching search by making Kubiak the defacto OC. Making matters worse, GK wanted to bring in his boys., i.e. Dennison and Pariani.

A new HC should be able to assemble his own staff. Best news of the day when it was announced DEN was going in another direction. It is also relief that Fangio held to his principles on what type of offensive scheme he wants.

Maybe Elway really did look into the mirror and reviewed his past actions in regards to this coaching search.

Agreed on all points! I'm most happy about Elway's apparent introspection.

BeefStew25
01-11-2019, 10:54 PM
Agreed on all points! I'm most happy about Elway's apparent introspection.

Or Vic’s eyeball

Poet
01-11-2019, 10:58 PM
Stop caping for Kubes. He turned on us.

BeefStew25
01-11-2019, 11:05 PM
Stop caping for Kubes. He turned on us.

King After Dark ™️

Poet
01-11-2019, 11:37 PM
King After Dark ™️

No one wants this. :lol: