PDA

View Full Version : It's Fangio

Pages : [1] 2

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2019, 12:05 PM
Adam Schefter
‏Verified account @AdamSchefter
2m2 minutes ago

Denver reached agreement with Bears’ DC Vic Fangio to become the Broncos’ next head coach, sources tell me and @DanGrazianoESPN. It will be a four-year deal plus a team option for a fifth, per source.

Freyaka
01-09-2019, 12:06 PM
Adam Schefter
‏Verified account @AdamSchefter
2m2 minutes ago

Denver reached agreement with Bears’ DC Vic Fangio to become the Broncos’ next head coach, sources tell me and @DanGrazianoESPN. It will be a four-year deal plus a team option for a fifth, per source.

Was just coming here to post this, you beat me by a minute :D Gotta get up earlier to beat Carol to a twitter post.

BroncoWave
01-09-2019, 12:07 PM
The whole thing about him being so desperate to be the guy he'd let Elway pick his staff makes me a little nervous about him now, but I still think it was the way to go given the candidates.

pnbronco
Thanks Carol.....Welcome Coach Fangio.

HORSEPOWER 56
Congrats to Coach Fangio, and congrats to our defense! Fangio will unleash Von and Chubb!

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2019, 12:08 PM
The whole thing about him being so desperate to be the guy he'd let Elway pick his staff makes me a little nervous about him now, but I still think it was the way to go given the candidates.

Is that absolutely true, or someone's opinion?

HORSEPOWER 56
01-09-2019, 12:09 PM

Mike Florio from PFT, ie the tabloid king of football reporting.

Valar Morghulis
01-09-2019, 12:10 PM
Pleased in principle..... Just waiting for his coaching staff to be announced...

Northman
01-09-2019, 12:12 PM

Yea, i was pretty much team Fangio until i read all that. Now im very leary about it all.

Shazam!
01-09-2019, 12:17 PM
I absolutely hate this hire.

Please prove me wrong Mr Elway.

Freyaka
01-09-2019, 12:19 PM

Florio was reporting it before the news of his hiring broke.

Freyaka
01-09-2019, 12:20 PM
Pleased in principle..... Just waiting for his coaching staff to be announced...

I'm 90ish percent sure Pagano will be the DC. The rest, well, we'll see.

Tned
01-09-2019, 12:20 PM
Thought that was likely to be the choice. I think of the two it was rumored to come down to, I like him better than Munchak. If Kubiak is in fact going to be the OC, i'm not sure I'm thrilled about that. His offense was a dismal failure, completely unimaginative and not focused on the talents of his players.

dogfish
01-09-2019, 12:21 PM
hmmm. . .

turftoad
01-09-2019, 12:24 PM
I'm 90ish percent sure Pagano will be the DC. The rest, well, we'll see.

I'd rather see Greg Williams but probably won't happen.

Cugel
01-09-2019, 12:24 PM
This means that the key for Elway is having Gary Kubiak installed as OC and Fangio was willing to do that after toiling in the coaching weeds for decades as an assistant. He was willing to do anything to land this job.

Well, good luck to him. This looks like another Vance Joseph hire to me. Meh. :coffee:

UnderArmour
01-09-2019, 12:26 PM
I am so excited for this hire. He has worked his tail off his whole career and produced results, and now he finally gets to be the guy in the bosses office. I expect great things from this football team next year. He will have them ready to play, and hold them accountable.

Let every other team have their hot offensive loser who had coffee with McVay; we just got the best defensive coordinator in football sans Belichick.

Shazam!
01-09-2019, 12:28 PM
Thought that was likely to be the choice. I think of the two it was rumored to come down to, I like him better than Munchak. If Kubiak is in fact going to be the OC, i'm not sure I'm thrilled about that. His offense was a dismal failure, completely unimaginative and not focused on the talents of his players.

Im happy if he is directly in the mix as an asst HC as an option to assist Fang in his duties. Coordinator to Coach isna massive leap. Hope hes ready

Valar Morghulis
01-09-2019, 12:28 PM
I am not sure he was as desperate as they are reporting - he turned down the dolphins interview before he even met Elway.

If he was desperate he would have been whoring himself out to anyone that would entertain him.

I think he is the opposite of VJ, experienced, competent and nothing to prove.

He might have agreed to have Kubes as some kind of offensive assistant, but unless the DC is Pagano, and the OC Taylor - I am not sure Fangio seems like a guy to take a job on terms he was not happy with

Cugel
01-09-2019, 12:30 PM
I am so excited for this hire. He has worked his tail off his whole career and produced results, and now he finally gets to be the guy in the bosses office. I expect great things from this football team next year. He will have them ready to play, and hold them accountable.

Let every other team have their hot offensive loser who had coffee with McVay; we just got the best defensive coordinator in football sans Belichick.

The best DC in football is the guy we got rid of - Wade Phillips. But you can be as enthusiastic as you wanna be at this point of the off-season. For all we know he will sprinkle magic unicorn dust all over this team and suddenly they fly to the SB!

I will try to be modestly optimistic until sometime in September. "Hurray." That was modestly optimistic.

VonDoom
01-09-2019, 12:32 PM
Albert Breer reporting it as fact that Kubiak is OC. That’s my biggest problem with the hire. I thought Elway loves those college spread concepts?

Cugel
I am not sure he was as desperate as they are reporting - he turned down the dolphins interview before he even met Elway.

If he was desperate he would have been whoring himself out to anyone that would entertain him.

I think he is the opposite of VJ, experienced, competent and nothing to prove.

He might have agreed to have Kubes as some kind of offensive assistant, but unless the DC is Pagano, and the OC Taylor - I am not sure Fangio seems like a guy to take a job on terms he was not happy with

Well, the Dolphins job was reportedly the worst head coaching vacancy of them all. Denver's wasn't great but the Dolphins job is worse. Whoever lands that job is doomed. Fangio is only PROBABLY doomed in Denver.

Crap! I gotta get back to my cautious optimism! :wave:

Nomad
Thanks Carol.....Welcome Coach Fangio.

Yep! Welcome to the Broncos. Good luck.

It would be interesting to see a Miller, White, Chubb linebacker corps under Fangio.

Shazam!
Albert Breer reporting it as fact that Kubiak is OC. That’s my biggest problem with the hire. I thought Elway loves those college spread concepts?

Maybe he wants to adopt new schemes?

Cugel
01-09-2019, 12:33 PM

The last draft was improved. That was due to Kubiak coming back to Denver. Elway was desperate to keep him. Kubiak wanted to return to coaching the offense. So. . . . .

Cugel
01-09-2019, 12:34 PM

New schemes with Case Keenum?

Northman
01-09-2019, 12:35 PM

Well, there you go. Already starting to unfold that Florio wasnt wrong.

HORSEPOWER 56
The thing about Kubiak, if he is officially taking the job of OC, is at least he won’t be the guy calling 15 runs and 40 passes a game with Lindsay and Freeman at RB and Keesum at QB. We will be balanced.

Also, with all the supposed interest in the college offensive schemes that Elway is supposedly interested in, do you not think Kubiak has discussed this with Elway already? I think they have a plan to turn the offense around. I just hope they also have a plan to get a franchise QB.

Timmy!
I approve of this.

Nomad
01-09-2019, 12:36 PM
I thought NFL fans didn’t like the college spread? Or....has this mindset evolved?

underrated29
01-09-2019, 12:36 PM
Well at least we know we will have one kick ass defense!

Shazam!
01-09-2019, 12:37 PM

New schemes with Case Keenum?

My thinking is that he could wring the best out of him while the new QB sits and pushes Case.

Elway and Co. better Draft and FA on Offense.

Freyaka
01-09-2019, 12:38 PM

I hope not, Williams is a trash bag...

Shazam!
Well at least we know we will have one kick ass defense!

Hopefully they have a guy that can establish an identity of toughness and fundamentals and preparedness unlike VJ

VonDoom
https://twitter.com/mikeklis/status/1083055231519272961?s=21

Freyaka
01-09-2019, 12:39 PM
I thought NFL fans didn’t like the college spread? Or....has this mindset evolved?

The rule changes in 2018 really favored the offense a lot. Because of these changes you are seeing a lot of college concepts like the RPO and spread make their way to the NFL.

It wasn't viable at an NFL level prior to 2018, but with current rules it is possible for it to be more effective than it had been previously.

Shazam!
01-09-2019, 12:39 PM

I hope not, Williams is a trash bag...

Please explain other than the head hunting issue (which wanting to kill opposing QBs happens throughout the League anyway?).

HORSEPOWER 56
01-09-2019, 12:40 PM

Oh? So more to the story you say? Imagine that.

dogfish
01-09-2019, 12:41 PM

chris harris said the broncos need to evolve. . . we'll see if this is the staff to do that. . .

Freyaka
01-09-2019, 12:42 PM
The thing about Kubiak, if he is officially taking the job of OC, is at least he won’t be the guy calling 15 runs and 40 passes a game with Lindsay and Freeman at RB and Keesum at QB. We will be balanced.

Also, with all the supposed interest in the college offensive schemes that Elway is supposedly interested in, do you not think Kubiak has discussed this with Elway already? I think they have a plan to turn the offense around. I just hope they also have a plan to get a franchise QB.

That's the part that just keeps making me laugh... People keep getting upset about how Kubiak is old and stale... If Elway is as enamoured with college concepts as was reported, then it stands to reason that he's already talked with Kubiak about this and they have a plan in place to incorporate that into the offensive scheme.

Why would Elway want Kubiak involved if Kubiak's vision for the scheme didn't line up with his?

Northman
chris harris said the broncos need to evolve. . . we'll see if this is the staff to do that. . .

They better hope so. Lol

BroncoWave

I don't think any smart NFL fan is against the spread now. Just look at which NFL teams are consistently good now. It's the teams who use it.

BroncoWave
01-09-2019, 12:44 PM
The rule changes in 2018 really favored the offense a lot. Because of these changes you are seeing a lot of college concepts like the RPO and spread make their way to the NFL.

It wasn't viable at an NFL level prior to 2018, but with current rules it is possible for it to be more effective than it had been previously.

Teams have been successfully using college spread concepts for years now. This isn't anything new.

VonDoom
01-09-2019, 12:45 PM
I don’t necessarily mind the idea of Fangio. He’s well respected and highly regarded – I can’t find anyone saying anything bad about him. If he’s as “no nonsense” as they say, that should help the team with fundamentals and discipline. Feels a little like the Fox hire as a reaction to the young, unproven HC we had previously. Hopefully not an overreaction.

Everyone is looking for the “next McVay”, which is why a bunch of guys with not a lot on their resumes and little experience are getting hired this year. I’m actually glad we didn’t go that route. That pool is stretched too thin at the moment. I assume the next innovator is someone we haven’t even heard of yet, and that person (whoever he is) would be better suited as an OC. That’s the direction I was hoping to go in at OC, not necessarily HC. Based on Klis’ tweet, we’re hopefully still looking for that guy and not just let Kubiak run the offense. I remain cautiously optimistic.

This hire is big for Elway’s legacy, so we should all hope it works out. Now to find that QB …

Freyaka
01-09-2019, 12:46 PM
Please explain other than the head hunting issue (which wanting to kill opposing QBs happens throughout the League anyway?).

He goes around calling his players stupid in public settings for one thing....He coaches dirty defenses in most instances...the headhunting hasn't stopped....His defense tried to kill Teddy B. awhile back. I don't care for the guy and I don't want him on this team.

turftoad
01-09-2019, 12:50 PM

And that was years ago. He gets alot out of his players which VJ just couldnt do.

BroncoJoe
01-09-2019, 12:53 PM
A very John Fox type hire. I'm pleased. As most have mentioned, it's going to come down to the coordinators and who they select.

This team is better than 5-11 / 6-10. Way more talent than those two records, Keenum aside.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2019, 12:54 PM
Mike Klis
‏Verified account @MikeKlis
15m15 minutes ago

Ideally, Vic Fangio and John Elway would like a young coach to become offensive coordinator with Gary Kubiak serving in a broader offensive role. Kubiak resigned as head coach for health reasons two years ago. OC still to be determined. #9sports

Freyaka
01-09-2019, 12:56 PM
A very John Fox type hire. I'm pleased. As most have mentioned, it's going to come down to the coordinators and who they select.

This team is better than 5-11 / 6-10. Way more talent than those two records, Keenum aside.

And that's really what we need right now. People hate the "fox type coach" but this team needs a hard reset.

BroncoWave

If he's only another Fox then this is a bad hire.

Shazam!
Mike Klis
15m15 minutes ago

Ideally, Vic Fangio and John Elway would like a young coach to become offensive coordinator with Gary Kubiak serving in a broader offensive role. Kubiak resigned as head coach for health reasons two years ago. OC still to be determined. #9sports

I did believe i read Kubes will be OC?

BroncoWave
01-09-2019, 12:58 PM
And that's really what we need right now. People hate the "fox type coach" but this team needs a hard reset.

Bringing in someone just to "steady the ship" is just kicking the can down the road. I want someone who can be the guy for 10-15 years and win championships. If Fangio is that guy it's a great hire. If he's just another Fox who will steady the ship but be gone in 4 years, color me not impressed.

BroncoJoe
01-09-2019, 12:59 PM
If he's only another Fox then this is a bad hire.

As Frey said, this team needs a reset. Fox did that and took us to a SB. Granted, we had Manning, but this team needs someone like Fangino. IMO.

As mentioned, it is going to come down to who is hired as coordinators. I'm cautiously optimistic.

EDIT: Fox was more interested in moving on, and getting out of town. I think Fangio is going to be similar (provide stability), but different (long term Broncos coach / desire to remain here). It's his first HC job.

Shazam!
01-09-2019, 01:00 PM
Some Reports are saying Kubiak was coming in as OC?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/broncos-reportedly-steal-bears-defensive-coordinator-vic-fangio-away-to-be-next-head-coach/

Northman
01-09-2019, 01:01 PM
Bringing in someone just to "steady the ship" is just kicking the can down the road. I want someone who can be the guy for 10-15 years and win championships. If Fangio is that guy it's a great hire. If he's just another Fox who will steady the ship but be gone in 4 years, color me not impressed.

In a lot of ways i agree with you but i also dont think that HC's will last that long anymore going forward. BB is probably the last HC to be like that and guys like Tomlin are on borrowed time. I think most coaches now get maybe 7 years tops and thats if they manage to win any championships in the process. If Reid cant get it done soon with Mahomes and company i wouldnt be shocked to see him ousted either.

BroncoWave
As Frey said, this team needs a reset. Fox did that and took us to a SB. Granted, we had Manning, but this team needs someone like Fangino. IMO.

As mentioned, it is going to come down to who is hired as coordinators. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Joe, you it I could have gotten that 2014 team to the super bowl.

Freyaka
Mike Klis
15m15 minutes ago

That's kinda what I figured. Kubiak will be like an Offensive Assistant/Assistant coach type position. He'll help whoever the OC is in creating the scheme and probably gameplaning. The OC will likely call plays and do a lot of the in-game adjustments (with help from Kubiak from the box)

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2019, 01:03 PM
To local media, does not look like Kubes definitely will be the OC -

Troy Renck
‏Verified account @TroyRenck
46m46 minutes ago

With Fangio new coach its certainty Kubiak Will have large role with the offense. Either as OC or assistant head coach #Denver7

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2019, 01:04 PM
MileHighReport
‏Verified account @MileHighReport
11m11 minutes ago

John Elway went big and bold by going for an "evil genius" rather than another "leader of men" for the #Broncos head coach. No more Mr. Nice Guy. Get ready, Denver. The "Godfather" has arrived.

Freyaka
01-09-2019, 01:05 PM

Sometimes you HAVE to kick the can down the road. The culture is bass ackwards right now. No one is saying Fangio is exactly like Fox (in that he's going to be gone in 4 years) Just that he brings that culture reset that Fox brought to the team. That reset is necessary because with a piss poor culture, even the "right coach" who you are looking for can struggle to succeed.

Fox's issue was an apathy when it came to winning. He'd rather play conservative to not lose than actively try to win. Fangio doesn't seem to have that mindset.

No one is saying that Fangio is going to be the same coach, just that he's going to be the coach we need (much like Fox was) to wash the bad taste of an inexperienced jerk out of our mouths.

Shazam!
01-09-2019, 01:06 PM
I think Fangio would beat Fox in a fight though. Fox looks like he has poor vision

MOtorboat
01-09-2019, 01:08 PM
MileHighReport
11m11 minutes ago

John Elway went big and bold by going for an "evil genius" rather than another "leader of men" for the #Broncos head coach. No more Mr. Nice Guy. Get ready, Denver. The "Godfather" has arrived.

Big and bold?

Tned

Everyone wants that, but few teams every get it.

Freyaka
I think Fangio would beat Fox in a fight though. Fox looks like he has poor vision

Fangio looks like a he'd have you fitted with cement shoes for fumbling at a crucial moment. He's a mean SOB, but in a good way.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2019, 01:09 PM
Strange - not one word yet on the Broncos' website in regards to the hire?????

Shazam!
01-09-2019, 01:11 PM

Fangio looks like a he'd have you fitted with cement shoes for fumbling at a crucial moment. He's a mean SOB, but in a good way.

THAT is what they need instead of Capt Pudding VJ

VonDoom
01-09-2019, 01:14 PM
https://twitter.com/allbrightnfl/status/1083061433397436416?s=21

VonDoom
01-09-2019, 01:14 PM
https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran/status/1083061675710791682?s=21

BroncoJoe
01-09-2019, 01:15 PM
Von, why you gotta go and spoil the party?

Doom is why I guess... :heh:

BroncoWave
01-09-2019, 01:16 PM
Strange - not one word yet on the Broncos' website in regards to the hire?????

I'm guessing the contact hasn't been signed yet.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2019, 01:18 PM
Nicki Jhabvala
‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala
1m1 minute ago

Vic Fangio confirmed his move to Denver and thanked the Bears on IG. https://www.instagram.com/p/BsbGp-SlGTt/

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2019, 01:20 PM
Vic Fangio
‏ @RealVicFangio
39m39 minutes ago

I’m happy to be coming to #BroncosCountry and I cannot wait to bring a Super Bowl to the BEST franchise in NFL history!

Northman
01-09-2019, 01:21 PM
MileHighReport
11m11 minutes ago

Now THAT is a good sign.

Dreadnought
01-09-2019, 01:23 PM
I'm happy with the hire as of now. Should be a massive improvement over VJ.

Ideally

Hopefully

Nomad
01-09-2019, 01:23 PM
Vic Fangio
‏ @RealVicFangio
39m39 minutes ago

I’m happy to be coming to #BroncosCountry and I cannot wait to bring a Super Bowl to the BEST franchise in NFL history!

This is what I’m talkin about.

Tned
01-09-2019, 01:26 PM
Vic Fangio
‏ @RealVicFangio
39m39 minutes ago

Already getting PR help and didn't say #BroncosNation. Good start.

GEM
01-09-2019, 01:28 PM

Can we throw a Musgrave's gone party yet?

Tned
01-09-2019, 01:29 PM

I had (obviously, emphasis on past tense) high hopes for him.

G_Money
01-09-2019, 01:30 PM

So does every team. And most teams get 3-4 years. The goal would be to groom the next head coach internally, from either side of the ball, as Denver rebuilds its team into a powerhouse. That's who Denver should be looking for with their offensive candidate to be mentored by Kubiak.

Cuz here are the stats on coaching hires:

Since 2013, the coaching hires have been decidedly lopsided with 27 being coaches with offensive backgrounds and 15 with defensive backgrounds.

Of the 27 with offensive backgrounds, 13 have since been fired (48.1) percent. Of the 15 with defensive backgrounds, 10 have been fired (66.7).

In the past 5 years there have been a blizzard of firings. McVay is the 14th-longest tenured head coach at the moment. If you get the right young guy, it's all roses. If not, it's just like any other failure. Let Fangio fix the defense while we still have good defensive players and work on shaping the team going forward. If at 60 he winds up being the right guy, great! Dick Vermeil was 60+ when he took over the Rams. They won a title - I don't think his tenure there would be considered a failure despite it only lasting 3 years.

I don't have a problem with Fangio, or Kubes for that matter. What matters more is the draft and the rest of the coaching staff. If Fangio the head coach can't do what Fangio the coordinator did, a la Wade Phillips, then we'll know. Bring his ass back to run the defense then, also a la Wade - and don't let him get away.

But I want to see the support system around Fangio and the coaches he does pick and see what kind of a coaching staff he can put together. I'm not worried about 10 years from now - coaching in the Not For Long isn't really a tenured situation unless you coach for the Bengals, and even that runs out eventually.

Northman
01-09-2019, 01:31 PM
https://scontent.fphl2-4.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/49716240_2841068039240537_6710524398681456640_n.jp g?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent.fphl2-4.fna&oh=b076ac2219ba825fc85f252cb9cb9747&oe=5CCA8375

G_Money
01-09-2019, 01:33 PM
https://scontent.fphl2-4.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/49716240_2841068039240537_6710524398681456640_n.jp g?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent.fphl2-4.fna&oh=b076ac2219ba825fc85f252cb9cb9747&oe=5CCA8375

I still wanna see a QB coach with OC/HC potential. Go get somebody sharp.

Tned
01-09-2019, 01:34 PM
I still wanna see a QB coach with OC/HC potential. Go get somebody sharp.

This would be good if they could pull this off.

Shazam!
01-09-2019, 01:34 PM
Vic Fangio
‏ @RealVicFangio
39m39 minutes ago

This is what I’m talkin about.

Wow. Nice!

Cugel
01-09-2019, 01:36 PM
My thinking is that he could wring the best out of him while the new QB sits and pushes Case.

Elway and Co. better Draft and FA on Offense.

FA QB you mean? The radio guys are all saying the Kubiak was responsible for bringing Keenum to Den in the first place as he was responsible for Denver's draft being so much better than previous Elway drafts.

So, unless they trade for Joe Flacco (who Kubiak coached in Baltimore) it's Keenum for another year.

Perhaps he could be better if they concentrate on drafting really GOOD OL to put around him, but there's limited upside there. And we're in a division with Mahomes, Rivers and Derek Carr. So. . . . there's that.

What is reasonable to expect for this Broncos team next year? 7-9? 9-7? They ain't beating the Chiefs and the Chargers are potentially going to the AFC Championship game.

This doesn't look to me like it's going to get much better any time soon and there doesn't appear to be any great QBs in this draft for the Broncos to get at #10. Trade up? This is supposed to be a QB poor year (according to Adam Schefter).

Shazam!
01-09-2019, 01:36 PM

Could see him retained as QB Coach...

Freyaka
01-09-2019, 01:37 PM
Vic Fangio
‏ @RealVicFangio
39m39 minutes ago

Hell fricken ya! at least he's got that part right!

Freyaka
01-09-2019, 01:39 PM

No, it'll be someone young. We're going to bring in a young OC to work alongside Kubiak. Someone who has a good knowledge of college concepts like the RPO and college spread. Musgrave will be gone at this point.

BeefStew25
01-09-2019, 01:39 PM
Joe, you it I could have gotten that 2014 team to the super bowl.

What about Tebow to the playoffs?

Elevation inc
01-09-2019, 01:40 PM
Its not a surprise. I don't mind it. People will be pissed Kubiak is going to run the offense but that doesn't really bother me either, but I'm also not overly excited.....he made brock and Trevor look good, maybe he can make Keenum and the rookie we draft good as well.....Isn't Ed Donatell the one that was rumored to dime out MCD during the Tape gate issue here. He gets points for that if so....

Freyaka
01-09-2019, 01:42 PM
No, it'll be someone young. We're going to bring in a young OC to work alongside Kubiak. Someone who has a good knowledge of college concepts like the RPO and college spread. Musgrave will be gone at this point.

Apparently though, according to Klis, I'm wrong.

Kubiak will be the OC. There will be no other OC with Kubiak as the assistant HC, just Kubiak. He'll have full control over the offense.

VonDoom
01-09-2019, 01:48 PM
Hell fricken ya! at least he's got that part right!

That’s a fake account, FWIW. He’s not on Twitter

BroncoWave
01-09-2019, 01:48 PM
What about Tebow to the playoffs?

That was admittedly more impressive, but I think alot of that was McCoy.

VonDoom
01-09-2019, 01:49 PM

Get ready for some more years of averaging 20 ppg

ShaneFalco
01-09-2019, 01:49 PM
Keesum is staying....
https://media.giphy.com/media/QgAvQxFyRjF4I/giphy.gif

ShaneFalco
01-09-2019, 01:50 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/I4Jmrcjnr8Zfq/giphy-downsized-large.gif

UnderArmour
01-09-2019, 01:50 PM

It was the whole team philosophy. Pound the ball, play great D, and pound the ball some more. Some teams employed passing offenses in 2011, the Denver Broncos employed a punting offense.

Freyaka
01-09-2019, 01:58 PM

Regardless...it's true. lol.

Shazam!
01-09-2019, 01:58 PM
Keesum is staying....

That used to be me!

Buff
01-09-2019, 01:59 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic about the choice...

Fangio brings deep expertise and credibility, from day 1, which were sorely lacking the entire VJ era. VJ never won over players, fans or management. Fangio has that PhD type of expertise that you expect out of a NFL head coach. I think he'll bring an edge to the team that we've been lacking...

But I'm pretty worried that none of it matters unless we figure out what to do on offense. Kubiak is well suited to get the most out of a Keenum type of QB... These guys will keep us in ball games... My bigger concern is : A.) What is the plan at QB? B.) If we ever find a QBOTF - is Kubiak really creative enough to take this offense to another level? Eeking out 1 score victories with a lot of running the ball is a hard way to sustain winning in the NFL.

Buff
01-09-2019, 01:59 PM
Keesum is staying....

He signed a 2 year deal that was mostly guaranteed. We've known all along that he'd be here for 2 years no matter what.

wayninja
01-09-2019, 02:13 PM
This hire has teeth!

I'll work on better puns in the off season.

BroncoJoe
01-09-2019, 02:14 PM
This hire has teeth!

I'll work on better puns in the off season.

That list is growing...

Nice to see you around. Come around more often, TIA.

ShaneFalco
01-09-2019, 02:15 PM
He signed a 2 year deal that was mostly guaranteed. We've known all along that he'd be here for 2 years no matter what.

2 years with free sundays. im excited

MOtorboat
01-09-2019, 02:16 PM

Don’t let the door hit ya...

Buff
01-09-2019, 02:17 PM

With Klint Kubiak at QB Coach and Case Keenum at QB, I don't see how we can fail!

TXBRONC
01-09-2019, 02:19 PM
Was just coming here to post this, you beat me by a minute :D Gotta get up earlier to beat Carol to a twitter post.

You have to have world class speed to beat Carol.

ShaneFalco
01-09-2019, 02:24 PM
look i know you are excited. he basically kyle orton 2.0 for you.

#deservekeesum

TXBRONC
01-09-2019, 02:24 PM
The last draft was improved. That was due to Kubiak coming back to Denver. Elway was desperate to keep him. Kubiak wanted to return to coaching the offense. So. . . . .

Sometimes I wonder where you come up with these things Cug. I haven't heard any rumblings that Kubiak desired to go somewhere else.

TXBRONC
01-09-2019, 02:27 PM

Well I'll be, right now it doesn't look like Florio knows what he's talking about.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2019, 02:29 PM

Nicki Jhabvala
‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala
49m49 minutes ago

Sad to report that Vic Fangio is not on social media, so don't get duped like I did. Maybe @RyanKoenigsberg, our favorite millennial, can change that when Fangio arrives in Denver.

wayninja
01-09-2019, 02:29 PM

#deservekeesum

Right, which means that after next year, we will have Tebow 2.0. It's exciting times man.

Shazam!
01-09-2019, 02:30 PM

#deservekeesum

Plz stop

ShaneFalco
01-09-2019, 02:30 PM
https://www.denverpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/broncoschiefs_7AO9111_A.jpg?w=620

Buff
01-09-2019, 02:32 PM
I don’t necessarily mind the idea of Fangio. He’s well respected and highly regarded – I can’t find anyone saying anything bad about him. If he’s as “no nonsense” as they say, that should help the team with fundamentals and discipline. Feels a little like the Fox hire as a reaction to the young, unproven HC we had previously. Hopefully not an overreaction.

Everyone is looking for the “next McVay”, which is why a bunch of guys with not a lot on their resumes and little experience are getting hired this year. I’m actually glad we didn’t go that route. That pool is stretched too thin at the moment. I assume the next innovator is someone we haven’t even heard of yet, and that person (whoever he is) would be better suited as an OC. That’s the direction I was hoping to go in at OC, not necessarily HC. Based on Klis’ tweet, we’re hopefully still looking for that guy and not just let Kubiak run the offense. I remain cautiously optimistic.

This hire is big for Elway’s legacy, so we should all hope it works out. Now to find that QB …

I agree with the idea that the pool of young guys has been stretched too far... Kingsbury is a bridge too far. I heard his opening interview with the Cardinals and I'm glad we're not going with someone that green.

That said, I did like LaFleur quite a bit, and I feel a little better that we at least interviewed Zac Taylor.

Shazam!
https://www.denverpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/broncoschiefs_7AO9111_A.jpg?w=620

Have Faith. They will most def bring in someone

VonDoom
Well I'll be, right now it doesn't look like Florio knows what he's talking about.

Klis has since confirmed it’s Kubiak at OC. It’s somewhere in this thread

Shazam!
01-09-2019, 02:34 PM

Rod Smith would have caught it :)

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2019, 02:35 PM
Troy Renck
28m28 minutes ago

Talked to multiple players on Fangio hiring. Former #Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan gave high praise to Fangio. Said loved playing for him, loved his style of play. #Denver7

Troy Renck Retweeted
Ryan O'Halloran
‏Verified account @ryanohalloran
2h2 hours ago

Bears CB Prince Amukamara on #Broncos hiring Vic Fangio: "Oh, man, they’re going to get a leader and they’re going to get somebody who cares for them. They already have a history of having a great defense. All of that will be enhanced with Vic."

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2019, 02:37 PM
Some media guy Rich Campbell from the Chicago Tribune is on the phone now with thefan guys, and he said Vic is not a self promoter, and he is not sure that Vic even has an agent.

Broncos Mtnman
01-09-2019, 02:42 PM

A VERY low bar.

Shazam!
01-09-2019, 02:44 PM

A VERY low bar.

Omg its like a sasquatch sighting!

VonDoom
01-09-2019, 02:49 PM
Mentioned earlier, but seems even more likely now

https://twitter.com/allbrightnfl/status/1083083056657956864?s=21

Broncos Mtnman
01-09-2019, 02:49 PM
Omg its like a sasquatch sighting!

:lol:

TXBRONC
01-09-2019, 02:54 PM

I bet he will leave and not take a demotion.

Buff
01-09-2019, 02:56 PM

Kubiak's son is gonna get promoted to QB coach.

CoachChaz
01-09-2019, 02:56 PM
Seems like he would be the favorite for the Bears DC spot, too...but...since he last left Denver, he seems to go wherever Fangio goes.

Shazam!
01-09-2019, 03:00 PM
I can never see those twitter links

Freyaka
01-09-2019, 03:21 PM

You can extend it past that, we won't mind...

Freyaka
01-09-2019, 03:23 PM
I can never see those twitter links

I can't either. Twitter is blocked by my work proxy.

Freyaka
01-09-2019, 03:24 PM
Kubiak's son is gonna get promoted to QB coach.

Exactly, and Kubiak will be grooming Klint to eventually take over an OC role somewhere.

Freyaka
01-09-2019, 03:27 PM

#deservekeesum

And if who the QB is, is enough for you to "have Sunday's free" you deserve to not have a football team for awhile.

Have fun with that....

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2019, 03:42 PM
Mike Klis
24m24 minutes ago

Broncos now essentially have two head coaches: Fangio for D; Kubiak for O. Buck stops w/Fangio, but clearly he'll work together w/Kubiak, who won a Super Bowl as head coach three years ago. It's not a bad setup -- providing Kubiak can fix O and Fangio can fix D. #9sports

Mike Klis
1h1 hour ago

Just caught Vic Fangio on the phone:
"Hey, I'm packing and getting ready to catch a flight, can we postpone this until a little later?''
No problem. And congratulations.
"Thank you."
#9sports

Northman
01-09-2019, 03:44 PM
Lol, so it went from Fangio being HC to now sharing the role with Kubiak. They are right, this guy is really desperate for anything at this point.

wayninja
01-09-2019, 03:44 PM
Kubiak as OC is smart IMO. The guys wanted someone with HC experience. This move adds experience to Fangio's first foray into the HC job, mitigating that want from the team, making it easier to sell Fangio as HC to them.

Freyaka
01-09-2019, 03:45 PM
Lol, so it went from Fangio being HC to now sharing the role with Kubiak. They are right, this guy is really desperate for anything at this point.

It's not a bad setup. As long as Fangio gets final say on stuff. Kubiak will be a very good resource for Fangio as he has years of experience as a HC and Gary will have complete control of the offense without Fangio meddling unnecessarily.

Shazam!
01-09-2019, 03:51 PM
I think having Kubes will only help him make the transition from DC to HC

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2019, 03:53 PM
Hearing all day from those on thefan that Kubes has ZERO ego.

ShaneFalco
01-09-2019, 03:55 PM
You can extend it past that, we won't mind...

And if who the QB is, is enough for you to "have Sunday's free" you deserve to not have a football team for awhile.

Have fun with that....

https://media.giphy.com/media/cZuifDXNnSAmY/giphy.gif

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2019, 04:05 PM
http://player.listenlive.co/28371

104.3 The FAN
‏ @1043TheFan

.@SethCPayne joins us now to talk about his former coach Vic Fangio! #Broncos #BroncosCountry

TXBRONC
01-09-2019, 04:05 PM

Have fun with that....

I can't think of anyone thinks Keenum anything really more than transitional player. :confused:

Freyaka
01-09-2019, 04:08 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/cZuifDXNnSAmY/giphy.gif

By the way, Since you are so eager to hop off the fanwagon because you can't stand Keenum, don't try to hop back on if we're winning next year.... We wouldn't want to bore you with Keenum or whoever our QB is in 2019.

Freyaka
01-09-2019, 04:09 PM
I can't think of anyone thinks Keenum anything really more than transitional player. :confused:

No, none of us do, but apparently we #deservekeesum for understanding that he's basically the option we have until another option presents itself..

NightTerror218
01-09-2019, 04:17 PM
I don't mind the hire. Elway has always wanted a tough and gritty team. He wants to have a dominate defense. Makes sense he went with defensive head coach.

I do not mind Kubiak as OC. He is soooo much better than Dennison. Look at how he was with the ravens as his last stint as OC. He had a great offense that sent Flacco to pro bowl.

Only was I will be pissed is it the defense goes back to a 4-3

MOtorboat
01-09-2019, 04:18 PM

I’m not sure the offensive coordinator of the Denver Broncos agrees that he’s transitional.

Freyaka
01-09-2019, 04:39 PM
I don't mind the hire. Elway has always wanted a tough and gritty team. He wants to have a dominate defense. Makes sense he went with defensive head coach.

I do not mind Kubiak as OC. He is soooo much better than Dennison. Look at how he was with the ravens as his last stint as OC. He had a great offense that sent Flacco to pro bowl.

Only was I will be pissed is it the defense goes back to a 4-3

Unfortunately, we lost Sean Kugler so Dennison may be back with the team again (though as an o-line coach, not the OC)

DenBronx
01-09-2019, 04:41 PM
Hearing all day from those on thefan that Kubes has ZERO ego.

He never has and the players love him. Got to think our offense will be much better now.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2019, 04:42 PM
Mike Klis
2m2 minutes ago

Broncos did allow offensive line Sean Kugler permission to interview. He is on his way to Tampa Bay. Fangio/Kubiak have other plans at OL. #9sports

Poet
01-09-2019, 04:42 PM
A lot of sad Chicago Bears fans round here.

DenBronx
01-09-2019, 04:43 PM
Bear fans are sad. They didn’t want him to go.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2019, 04:47 PM
Technically, the Broncos still have an offensive line coach under contract.

Kugler was in charge of the team’s guards and centers and Chris Strausser was in charge of the team’s tackles. As of the time of this writing, Strausser is still employed in Denver.

It’s unclear if Strausser will become the lone offensive line coach now. The team may hire another positional guard/center coach like Kugler, or Fangio may bring in a new offensive line coach altogether.

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/09/sean-kugler-leaves-denver-broncos-to-coach-tampa-bay-buccaneers-offensive-line/

Denver Native (Carol)

Neither did the Bear's defensive players.

HORSEPOWER 56

Of course they’re sad! He was their Wade. It wasn’t Nagy’s 22nd ranked offense that got them to the playoffs. It was Fangio’s #1 ranked defense.

VonDoom
01-09-2019, 04:48 PM
Klis says Klint Kubiak getting “strong consideration” for QB coach

HORSEPOWER 56
01-09-2019, 04:49 PM

Ummm go figure? #nepotism.

Poet
01-09-2019, 04:50 PM

Is Gary Kubiak our OC officially?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2019, 04:53 PM
Mike Klis
15s15 seconds ago

Vic Fangio en route to Denver and expected at Broncos headquarters within the hour. #9sports

Mike Klis
6m6 minutes ago

Not final yet, but as we've been reporting, Klint Kubiak is receiving strong consideration as QB coach. He is ready. #9sports

Poet
01-09-2019, 04:56 PM
Mike Klis
15s15 seconds ago

Vic Fangio en route to Denver and expected at Broncos headquarters within the hour. #9sports

Mike Klis
6m6 minutes ago

Not final yet, but as we've been reporting, Klint Kubiak is receiving strong consideration as QB coach. He is ready. #9sports

Klis is such a dopey mouthpiece. Great reporting by touting the company line.

DenBronx
01-09-2019, 04:57 PM
Is Gary Kubiak our OC officially?

No, he’s our 2nd Heach Coach aka co Head Coach. Vic runs the defense and Gary runs the offense with Vic having the final say.

In other words...yes he’s our OC.

Confused yet?

DenBronx
01-09-2019, 05:02 PM
Rick Dennison for OL coach? Anyone???

DenBronx
01-09-2019, 05:05 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hQo1HIcSVtg

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2019, 05:08 PM
Troy Renck
5m5 minutes ago

Fangio will be in Denver today. But the presser is set for Friday at Dove Valley. #Denver7

chazoe60
01-09-2019, 05:14 PM
I wonder if we draft Devin White now and try hard to bring in Flacco?

TXBRONC
01-09-2019, 05:17 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hQo1HIcSVtg

No need to get a oline coach, the one we have now did a great job.

BroncoJoe
01-09-2019, 05:18 PM
No need to get a oline coach, the one we have now did a great job.

He just got hired by the Bucs.

TXBRONC
01-09-2019, 05:18 PM
He just got hired by the Bucs.

Nuts.

BroncoJoe
01-09-2019, 05:24 PM
Troy Renck
5m5 minutes ago

Fangio will be in Denver today. But the presser is set for Friday at Dove Valley. #Denver7

Probably because they want to get the coordinator situation set. That's my take, anyway.

Davii
01-09-2019, 05:31 PM
I’m not sure the offensive coordinator of the Denver Broncos agrees that he’s transitional.

He would've received a longer contract last year if that wre the case. Assuming Kubiak has as much say as many think he does.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-09-2019, 05:33 PM
Fangio will unleash Chubb!

Nobody wants to see that

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2019, 05:39 PM
Mike Klis
24m24 minutes ago

With Vic Fangio the new head coach, Broncos defensive coordinator Joe Woods has received permission to interview with other teams. At least 3 teams are interested in DB coach/possible D-coordinator. #9sports

I did a search - the Jags and Redskins are interested.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2019, 05:41 PM
Probably because they want to get the coordinator situation set. That's my take, anyway.

Also, possibly the other coaches Fangio wants, as the Broncos are now letting coaches interview with other teams

wayninja
01-09-2019, 05:44 PM
v=hqo1hicsvtg

fify

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2019, 05:51 PM
Troy Renck
5m5 minutes ago

Troy Renck
34m34 minutes ago

Ugh. Meant this: #Broncos Vic Fangio will be in Denver today. But the presser is set for Thursday at Dove Valley. Sorry. In meeting and tweeting. Always bad idea. #Denver7

BroncoJoe
01-09-2019, 05:55 PM
Also, possibly the other coaches Fangio wants, as the Broncos are now letting coaches interview with other teams

That's basically what I meant. Poorly worded!

wayninja
01-09-2019, 06:01 PM
Troy Renck
34m34 minutes ago

Ugh. Meant this: #Broncos Vic Fangio will be in Denver today. But the presser is set for Thursday at Dove Valley. Sorry. In meeting and tweeting. Always bad idea. #Denver7

Yep, avoid meetings at all costs.

MOtorboat
01-09-2019, 06:05 PM
He would've received a longer contract last year if that wre the case. Assuming Kubiak has as much say as many think he does.

We’ll see. I think they really like Keenum.

BroncoJoe
01-09-2019, 06:11 PM

I think they view him for what he is. A bridge to something better.

I do think Kubiac et al will be able to get more out of him though.

Poet
01-09-2019, 06:11 PM

They do. Kubiak sees himself in Keenum and lives vicariously through him.

BroncoJoe
01-09-2019, 06:13 PM
They do. Kubiak sees himself in Keenum and lives vicariously through him.

Based on what?

Cugel
01-09-2019, 06:15 PM
Mike Klis
24m24 minutes ago

With Vic Fangio the new head coach, Broncos defensive coordinator Joe Woods has received permission to interview with other teams. At least 3 teams are interested in DB coach/possible D-coordinator. #9sports

I did a search - the Jags and Redskins are interested.

Good. Let them have him. His defense was too vanilla, as Chris Harris complained just recently.

DenBronx
01-09-2019, 06:16 PM
fify

I can never get it right. Smh

Cugel
01-09-2019, 06:16 PM
I think they view him for what he is. A bridge to something better.

I do think Kubiac et al will be able to get more out of him though.

What more is there? Is there more to be gotten? We'll see I guess.

DenBronx
01-09-2019, 06:20 PM
Nuts.

I think out OL coach did pretty good barring the circumstances.

But since he’s gone I thought Rick Dennison would make alot of sense now. Him and Kubiak have alot of history in this style of offense.

BroncoJoe
01-09-2019, 06:25 PM
What more is there? Is there more to be gotten? We'll see I guess.

Keenum is neither as bad or good as some posters here have made him out to be.

Kubiak worked wonders with Siemian, for goodness-sake, all things considered. We'll have a winning record next year and contend for either division title or wild-card.

BeefStew25
01-09-2019, 06:28 PM
Keenum is neither as bad or good as some posters here have made him out to be.

Kubiak worked wonders with Siemian, for goodness-sake, all things considered. We'll have a winning record next year and contend for either division title or wild-card.

Kubes is a Denver Bronco for life. He’s cuddly.

BroncoJoe
01-09-2019, 06:30 PM
Kubes is a Denver Bronco for life. He’s cuddly.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91sqf03s5QL._SL1500_.jpg

SmilinAssasSin27
01-09-2019, 06:32 PM
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91sqf03s5QL._SL1500_.jpg

How did his pants get dirty? Someone bump into him during pregame?

aberdien
01-09-2019, 06:33 PM
Of all the old dudes we could've hired, Fangio was the best one. I am excited to have a competent HC again. I just hope our OC situation is modern.

BeefStew25
01-09-2019, 06:34 PM
Of all the old dudes we could've hired, Fangio was the best one. I am excited to have a competent HC again. I just hope our OC situation is modern.

I’ll take him over going over our handlebars getting cute like the Cardinals did.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-09-2019, 06:34 PM

Pre-season game?

BroncoJoe
01-09-2019, 06:35 PM

Technically, he played in 119 games, starting 5.

What, are you a rookie fan or something?

aberdien
01-09-2019, 06:37 PM
I’ll take him over going over our handlebars getting cute like the Cardinals did.

Amen to that. I like Kingsbury and think he'll be better in the NFL than in college, but his HC record does not warrant an NFL HC job yet. Bad hire. That organization is a dumpster.

BeefStew25
01-09-2019, 06:37 PM
Technically, he played in 119 games, starting 5.

What, are you a rookie fan or something?

Remember that playoff game at Buff?

BroncoJoe
01-09-2019, 06:41 PM

Yeah. Do you remember people calling for him to start over Elway?

MOtorboat
01-09-2019, 07:05 PM

Man, Steve Sewell. I felt so bad for that guy.

ShaneFalco
01-09-2019, 07:07 PM

i like kube as oc.

i just hate keesum. with a passion

aberdien
01-09-2019, 07:14 PM
i like the hire, i like kube as oc.

He is a goofball. I think they will draft a QB this year to groom.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2019, 07:15 PM
Troy Renck
17m17 minutes ago

I am interested to see how Kubiak's return plays out. Players loved Kubiak as a leader and teacher. Said as much today when I talked to a few #Broncos. Can he revive offense? That's the challenge after a 3 1/2 year spiral. #Denver7

Troy Renck
1h1 hour ago

Things that attracted #Broncos to Fangio. Defensive expertise. Disciplined coaching. Has history of developing players. I'll Say this, folks in Chicago media I trust believe he's ready for this opportunity. So we will see. #Denver7

aberdien
01-09-2019, 07:29 PM
Still confused about the Kubiak situation. Is he officially OC or what?

BeefStew25
01-09-2019, 07:36 PM

Kubes is gonna coach him up.

tomjonesrocks
01-09-2019, 07:43 PM

Klis says he is...

Hawgdriver
01-09-2019, 07:48 PM
hmmm. . .

I applaud your discretion.

Good luck coach Fangio.

Poet
01-09-2019, 07:51 PM

Holy crap Tned and King87 agree on something!

BeefStew25
01-09-2019, 07:52 PM

And they are both wrong. Siemen went 9-7. That’s a hall to fame job.

Poet
01-09-2019, 08:03 PM

Bless your heart.

DenBronx
01-09-2019, 08:07 PM

They will be eating Cheetos and Bon Bons on the couch when we’re in the playoffs next year saying “I tolja Kubes waza gud hyre!!!!1!”

Tned
01-09-2019, 08:14 PM

One of us must have fallen and has a concussion...

Tned
01-09-2019, 08:15 PM

Or, Siemian was the next Tom Brady only to have career ruined by Kube's lousy offense.

Northman
01-09-2019, 08:37 PM
Actually, Siemian went 8-6 with Kubiak and then followed that up with a 5-5 outing with VJ.

Shazam!
01-09-2019, 09:07 PM
I am pleased with Kubiak returning. Its almost like Shanhan coming back. Fangio will put the nasty in Denver and Kubiak can do something with the offense.

Hopefully he will utilize Denver Backs better.

OrangeHoof
01-09-2019, 09:15 PM
Good luck Coach Fangs. Next year, 8-10 wins.

Poet
01-09-2019, 09:19 PM
I am pleased with Kubiak returning. Its almost like Shanhan coming back. Fangio will put the nasty in Denver and Kubiak can do something with the offense.

Hopefully he will utilize Denver Backs better.

You loyal.

Freyaka
01-09-2019, 09:23 PM
Rick Dennison for OL coach? Anyone???

That's what it seems like is going to happen.

OrangeHoof
01-09-2019, 09:26 PM
The Broncos have never won a Super Bowl without Gary Kubiak on the staff.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-09-2019, 09:36 PM
Mic drop

elsid13
01-09-2019, 09:41 PM
Luv the Vic

tomjonesrocks
01-09-2019, 10:34 PM
The Fan seems to be trashing this approach thusfar.

Where's G Money to give some -real- insight on this?

Tned
01-09-2019, 10:41 PM

So does every team. And most teams get 3-4 years. The goal would be to groom the next head coach internally, from either side of the ball, as Denver rebuilds its team into a powerhouse. That's who Denver should be looking for with their offensive candidate to be mentored by Kubiak.

Cuz here are the stats on coaching hires:

In the past 5 years there have been a blizzard of firings. McVay is the 14th-longest tenured head coach at the moment. If you get the right young guy, it's all roses. If not, it's just like any other failure. Let Fangio fix the defense while we still have good defensive players and work on shaping the team going forward. If at 60 he winds up being the right guy, great! Dick Vermeil was 60+ when he took over the Rams. They won a title - I don't think his tenure there would be considered a failure despite it only lasting 3 years.

I don't have a problem with Fangio, or Kubes for that matter. What matters more is the draft and the rest of the coaching staff. If Fangio the head coach can't do what Fangio the coordinator did, a la Wade Phillips, then we'll know. Bring his ass back to run the defense then, also a la Wade - and don't let him get away.

But I want to see the support system around Fangio and the coaches he does pick and see what kind of a coaching staff he can put together. I'm not worried about 10 years from now - coaching in the Not For Long isn't really a tenured situation unless you coach for the Bengals, and even that runs out eventually.

Tned
01-09-2019, 10:42 PM
https://twitter.com/BrandonPerna/status/1083205780386398208

Freyaka
01-09-2019, 11:01 PM

He's the Co-Head coach with Fangio. Kubiak is the Co-Coach of the offense, Fangio is the co-coach of the defense. My understanding is that both will handle coordination duties on their side of the ball.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-09-2019, 11:06 PM
He's the Co-Head coach with Fangio. Kubiak is the Co-Coach of the offense, Fangio is the co-coach of the defense. My understanding is that both will handle coordination duties on their side of the ball.

Where did you read or hear that?

Hawgdriver
01-09-2019, 11:11 PM

it's the neck, huh? Lack of one, I mean.

Davii
01-09-2019, 11:12 PM
Based on what?

Ridiculous things one can say of course

VonDoom
01-09-2019, 11:12 PM

Kubiak is the OC and while I’m sure he has a lot of clout, he isn’t the co anything. Fangio is the HC

Spiritguy
01-09-2019, 11:16 PM
That's what it seems like is going to happen. Damn isn't that a kick in the nuts. smdh. Kubiak's run, run, wr screen, punt offense with crap OL blocking. HMMM thought we did that before!

Tned
01-09-2019, 11:19 PM
Kubiak is the OC and while I’m sure he has a lot of clout, he isn’t the co anything. Fangio is the HC

No entirely true. Kubiak is co something, a co-ordinator! ;)

Davii
01-09-2019, 11:24 PM
Damn isn't that a kick in the nuts. smdh. Kubiak's run, run, wr screen, punt offense with crap OL blocking. HMMM thought we did that before!

So, what do you think he's been doing the last two years?

Elway said he wants an innovative offense marrying concepts from around the league, etc.

Knowing that, do you think Elway purposely made sure je couldn't get what he stated he wants?

Ray Crockett (knows Kubes well) says Kubiak has spent the last two years studying offensive concepts from around the league and colleges. He's convinced you're going to see a very innovative offense merging these concepts with more familiar concepts we've seen here.

If not, we can always bring in another OC...

Spiritguy
01-09-2019, 11:40 PM
Guess I don't have faith that he can move beyond the limitations he applied to himself last time. Forcing guys like Peyton Manning to play in Kubes "system" rather than let him be himself and play to his best. Feel like I heard too often "They need to execute the system", or something to that effect. Even though the guys he had weren't capable of doing it.

The potential is there, but ... ?????

Can he coach to the player's strengths? Or will he force square pegs into round holes again? Will he be flexible enough to actually adjust to what's happening on the field at the time it's happening? or try to do it at half time when they are already down by 21?

So many questions that only time will tell I guess.

Hawgdriver
01-09-2019, 11:50 PM
Y'all mind if I share my thoughts for a penny? Well I'm going to regardless, that's how this thing works.

The hire is fine. Fangio has been a steady hand in the NFL for a long time. Looking over his defensive coordinator resume, his best results came from well-stocked rosters, defensively speaking. As an example, he took over a 49ers D when hired on by Harbaugh to replace Singletary. Singletary's DC posted a result of 16th in the NFL, but that team was a bit of a mess. The prior year that defensive roster had been 4th in the NFL. Fangio took it back to top 5, and the addition of Aldon Smith made it elite. I see a similar result in Chicago with the addition of Khalil Mack. Dude is a solid defensive coach. He's been around long enough to know how a HC position works, but to my mind I'd prefer he remain a glorified DC pending the accolades of the DC that is hired.

This requires an established OC. Enter Kubiak. He's a solid OC. He can assume the entirety of the offensive playcalling and strategy duties.

It's a decent staff. Not flashy or exciting, but certainly competent.

I do have an issue with the transformation that Elway has authored. To me, it falls short of the sort of transformation the Broncos need to remain contenders for an AFC West title in the coming years. I would have liked to have seen more of a focus on transforming team philosophy. Perhaps this will come from Fangio. Perhaps Kubiak.

The sort of philosophical transformation I want to see: emphasis on insane offensive efficiency.

Picture in your head an offense made of 11 players who have computer processors for brains, all linked together on a network, that network controlled by a master controller of instantaneous processing capability. Whatever any of those 11 players see is registered as data that can be acted upon by the central controller.

With this offense, any challenge posed by a defense is easily and instantly overcome. Every play is an optimal success--any flaw in defensive execution exploited.

This exemplar is what the offense should strive toward. It's impossible of course. But the measures that have been taken to this point to work toward this vision have been well short of what is needed.

I could elaborate on details, but in the interest of brevity, I'd like to conclude that until this devotion to achieving offensive efficiency becomes apparent--and this is an issue separate from the offensive roster in place--I will maintain the expectation of mediocre offensive results and defensive results commensurate with the talent on the roster. Because what McVay is doing in LA isn't entirely about the O-line and talent at QB and RB--it's about a fanatical devotion to efficiency and latency in recognizing defensive flaws or exploits.

BeefStew25
01-09-2019, 11:51 PM
Kubes coaches to the talent provided. He always has. Scheme away.

MOtorboat
01-09-2019, 11:56 PM
Guess I don't have faith that he can move beyond the limitations he applied to himself last time. Forcing guys like Peyton Manning to play in Kubes "system" rather than let him be himself and play to his best. Feel like I heard too often "They need to execute the system", or something to that effect. Even though the guys he had weren't capable of doing it.

The potential is there, but ... ?????

Can he coach to the player's strengths? Or will he force square pegs into round holes again? Will he be flexible enough to actually adjust to what's happening on the field at the time it's happening? or try to do it at half time when they are already down by 21?

So many questions that only time will tell I guess.

That’s not true. Manning’s first year with Kubiak, when he still had all his arm ability, the team was basically still running Manning’s late Colts offense (not the zone stretch offense of his early career or Kubiak’s scheme).

I’m not the most thrilled person about Kubiak returning as OC, but come on, it’s not that bad. He’s a great coordinator and has been a big part of a lot of Bronco success. It will be nice to have him as a play caller again, because that’s truly what he was good at, scheme and play combos.

Poet
01-10-2019, 12:13 AM
That’s not true. Manning’s first year with Kubiak, when he still had all his arm ability, the team was basically still running Manning’s late Colts offense (not the zone stretch offense of his early career or Kubiak’s scheme).

I’m not the most thrilled person about Kubiak returning as OC, but come on, it’s not that bad. He’s a great coordinator and has been a big part of a lot of Bronco success. It will be nice to have him as a play caller again, because that’s truly what he was good at, scheme and play combos.

He was a great coordinator. He has something to prove. It's worrisome that Elway keeps going to the well. It's worrisome he forced Kubiak on Fangio, and Fangio had to submit for him to get the job.

Davii
01-10-2019, 12:24 AM
He was a great coordinator. He has something to prove. It's worrisome that Elway keeps going to the well. It's worrisome he forced Kubiak on Fangio, and Fangio had to submit for him to get the job.

I don't think that's entirely accurate. We know he indicated he was ok with Kubiak being involved, we also know Elway and Kubiak said their preference was to have a young OC and have Kubiak in an advisory role but they changed that.

We do not know whether Fangio would have been hired had he balked at Kubiak.

NightTrainLayne
01-10-2019, 12:27 AM

What if they didn't "force" Kubiak on Fangio.

What if Kubes legitimately sold Fangio on his plan?

I have a hard time reconciling what I've read about Fangio with a guy that would allow his OC forced on him.

Poet
01-10-2019, 12:35 AM
What if they didn't "force" Kubiak on Fangio.

What if Kubes legitimately sold Fangio on his plan?

I have a hard time reconciling what I've read about Fangio with a guy that would allow his OC forced on him.

It was rumored forever that Kubiak was coming back as the OC, and we didn't release our coaches. Elway doesn't have an issue doing more than suggesting who the coaches will be. It was posted earlier today, somewhere -I should have bookmarked it- that Fangio accepted Kubiak as his HC. Elway was already hinting at Kubiak being the OC. https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Article/John-Elway-hints-at-Gary-Kubiak-returning-as-Broncos-OC-127145874/

So it is possible that Fangio would have wanted him and doesn't care that Kubiak is the OC, or even happy. But it's not like he had any other choice.

Davii
01-10-2019, 12:39 AM
It was rumored forever that Kubiak was coming back as the OC, and we didn't release our coaches. Elway doesn't have an issue doing more than suggesting who the coaches will be. It was posted earlier today, somewhere -I should have bookmarked it- that Fangio accepted Kubiak as his HC. Elway was already hinting at Kubiak being the OC. https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Article/John-Elway-hints-at-Gary-Kubiak-returning-as-Broncos-OC-127145874/

So it is possible that Fangio would have wanted him and doesn't care that Kubiak is the OC, or even happy. But it's not like he had any other choice.

He was so desperate that he turned down other interviews and left a great gig as DC of a #1 Defense?

Poet
01-10-2019, 12:49 AM
He was so desperate that he turned down other interviews and left a great gig as DC of a #1 Defense?

He wanted to be here, I think you and I agreed on the fact that this job was a lot beter than some gave it credit for. Regarding Chicago, when you want to be a HC and you're 60...time's not on your side.

If you're coaching in Denver, you get Kubiak in your life. you live with it, you may like it, but Elway is making him a staple.

Davii
01-10-2019, 12:51 AM
He wanted to be here, I think you and I agreed on the fact that this job was a lot beter than some gave it credit for. Regarding Chicago, when you want to be a HC and you're 60...time's not on your side.

If you're coaching in Denver, you get Kubiak in your life. you live with it, you may like it, but Elway is making him a staple.

I'm not nearly as convinced this was a forced thing.

Poet
01-10-2019, 12:53 AM

I think you and I can shoulder on through this disagreement. I believe, dammit.

MOtorboat
01-10-2019, 12:59 AM

Forced? No, I don’t think it was forced, but I believe it was strongly suggested. Elway wanted a safe hire. He wanted a guy to run the defense and the team decisions who would leave the offense alone to run a familiar system. It’s a system that’s worked, let’s hope it works again.

nevcraw
01-10-2019, 02:14 AM
Elway is doing it his way and I’m good with it. ride or die with JMFE. But if he screws this up I’m am capable of loving him less.

2015 Broncos was a bunch of coaches other than kubes that had coach combined for 4.5 billion years and hadn’t won shit. This feels like one of those squads - lifer coaches that will squeeze the ever Loving f*** out of these players.
Like the identity of this team already.

Also - kubes hate is laughable he’s won 4 Super Bowls - he has HOF credentials and the last time he ran a pretty good rep of his offense was in Bmore for flacco’s Best year and that 3rd sting runner had a crushing year.
Manning didn’t count. Os played his best ever with him. And Trev sim was getting compared to the next tom Brady.
As much as I throw Up a little every time I think About Casem lining up at qb - the offense will be better immediately.

nevcraw
01-10-2019, 02:14 AM
Elway is doing it his way and I’m good with it. ride or die with JMFE. But if he screws this up I’m am capable of loving him less.

2015 Broncos was a bunch of coaches other than kubes that had coach combined for 4.5 billion years and hadn’t won shit. This feels like one of those squads - lifer coaches that will squeeze the ever Loving f*** out of these players.
Like the identity of this team already.

Also - kubes hate is laughable he’s won 4 Super Bowls - he has HOF credentials and the last time he ran a pretty good rep of his offense was in Bmore for flacco’s Best year and that 3rd sting runner had a crushing year.
Manning didn’t count. Os played his best ever with him. And Trev sim was getting compared to the next tom Brady.
As much as I throw Up a little every time I think About Casem lining up at qb - the offense will be better immediately.

Northman
01-10-2019, 06:23 AM
Forced? No, I don’t think it was forced, but I believe it was strongly suggested. Elway wanted a safe hire. He wanted a guy to run the defense and the team decisions who would leave the offense alone to run a familiar system. It’s a system that’s worked, let’s hope it works again.

^This

Lets not kid ourselves, the idea of Kubes returning was here long before Fangio was hired so when you have smoke there is usually fire especially with Elway. And yes, Fangio REALLY wanted to be HC so i can totally see the guy taking the job even if it meant having Kubes forced on him.

Im with some other people here that im not totally convinced that Kubes is all of a sudden the best offensive mind in football while being away for 2 years. Until he proves that he can adapt and be more creative i will be a bit skeptical going into next year. Fangio is fine for me but for all we know he may be Wade Phillips when it comes to HC and that doesnt always mean success once a DC switches to HC.

Jsteve01
01-10-2019, 07:07 AM
^This

Lets not kid ourselves, the idea of Kubes returning was here long before Fangio was hired so when you have smoke there is usually fire especially with Elway. And yes, Fangio REALLY wanted to be HC so i can totally see the guy taking the job even if it meant having Kubes forced on him.

Im with some other people here that im not totally convinced that Kubes is all of a sudden the best offensive mind in football while being away for 2 years. Until he proves that he can adapt and be more creative i will be a bit skeptical going into next year. Fangio is fine for me but for all we know he may be Wade Phillips when it comes to HC and that doesnt always mean success once a DC switches to HC.

I suggested this in my thread on Kubiak. But could it be that it wasn't so much a problem with Kubiak and his offense as it was with deficiencies on the roster and the Peyton Manning's abilities had deteriorated so greatly. I'm just spitballing here but Kubiak softens didn't look horrible two years before that with a roster that was put together well and an average Quarterback and Joe Flacco. And I've always stated as much as I love Peyton he was almost too cerebral at times. When you watched his version of the no-huddle which gave the defense plenty of time to adjust because he was making pre-snap reads and Audible for 30 seconds prior to the snap vs. Tom Brady's version of the no-huddle which was get to the line and call the play and go. I think the overthinking may have been the issue.

Jsteve01
01-10-2019, 07:19 AM
^This

I suggested this in my thread on Kubiak. But could it be that it wasn't so much a problem with Kubiak and his offense as it was with deficiencies on the roster and the Peyton Manning's abilities had deteriorated so greatly. I'm just spitballing here but Kubiak softens didn't look horrible two years before that with a roster that was put together well and an average Quarterback and Joe Flacco. And I've always stated as much as I love Peyton he was almost too cerebral at times. When you watched his version of the no-huddle which gave the defense plenty of time to adjust because he was making pre-snap reads and Audible for 30 seconds prior to the snap vs. Tom Brady's version of the no-huddle which was get to the line and call the play and go. I think the overthinking may have been the issue.

Davii
01-10-2019, 09:41 AM
^This

I certainly wouldn't say I'm sold, I want to wait and see, but Kubes has worked with innovation in the past. Hell, our offenses in the 90s were innovative, Sharpe more or less created the bar for the modern TE.

It doesn't mean everything changes. I've seen some very good posts this past year on the differences with a Reid or McVay system from a typical WCO, etc. and none of it seemed like massive, radical shifts in the essence of football.

If I give you two years to do nothing but study how everyone else does your job you're probably going to learn some things. You'll still do your job, but you'll probably get more efficient at it.

I don't know, I'm an idiot, but I'd be a better idiot in that scenario.

Northman
01-10-2019, 09:49 AM
I certainly wouldn't say I'm sold, I want to wait and see, but Kubes has worked with innovation in the past. Hell, our offenses in the 90s were innovative, Sharpe more or less created the bar for the modern TE.

It doesn't mean everything changes. I've seen some very good posts this past year on the differences with a Reid or McVay system from a typical WCO, etc. and none of it seemed like massive, radical shifts in the essence of football.

If I give you two years to do nothing but study how everyone else does your job you're probably going to learn some things. You'll still do your job, but you'll probably get more efficient at it.

I don't know, I'm an idiot, but I'd be a better idiot in that scenario.

I guess my only issue is when Kubes has been successful it has been (for the most part) with 2 HOF QB's at his disposal. If he can make Keenum play like Manning or Elway than im all for it but i just dont see it happening and while i do like Kubes he has also benefited from not only those QB's but an all world defense which really bailed him out in 2015. I think the general concern for me and some of the other guys is can Kubes actually take a less talented QB (or rookie depending on what we do in the draft) and make them stars or be creative enough to make the offense into a juggernaut. For me that will be the true test of whether or not Kubes has learned anything the past 2 years because we have a lot of great young offensive talent that should be able to make strides next year but if we are once again stale and stagnant on offense i will continue to feel we have not made the necessary adjustments with the coaching staff to adapt to the ever changing NFL.

BroncoWave
01-10-2019, 09:54 AM
I guess my only issue is when Kubes has been successful it has been (for the most part) with 2 HOF QB's at his disposal. If he can make Keenum play like Manning or Elway than im all for it but i just dont see it happening and while i do like Kubes he has also benefited from not only those QB's but an all world defense which really bailed him out in 2015. I think the general concern for me and some of the other guys is can Kubes actually take a less talented QB (or rookie depending on what we do in the draft) and make them stars or be creative enough to make the offense into a juggernaut. For me that will be the true test of whether or not Kubes has learned anything the past 2 years because we have a lot of great young offensive talent that should be able to make strides next year but if we are once again stale and stagnant on offense i will continue to feel we have not made the necessary adjustments with the coaching staff to adapt to the ever changing NFL.

Kubes navigated that 2015 season well without a QB on the roster who was playing at a HoF level. I think he's willing to adapt and incorporate some more modern stuff. I suppose we will see.

Davii
01-10-2019, 10:14 AM

So with three HOF guys he won 4 SB's and when given below average talent he still made playoffs and had decent seasons....

I don't know man... plenty of coaches never win a SB with HOF level talent on their team... Kubes had some pretty good years in Houston without great talent, he led a good Ravens offense, and he damn near put Siemian in the playoffs...

I'd say that's making good use of talent.

Davii
01-10-2019, 10:16 AM
Kubes navigated that 2015 season well without a QB on the roster who was playing at a HoF level. I think he's willing to adapt and incorporate some more modern stuff. I suppose we will see.

Truth. All we can do is wait and see.

Freyaka
01-10-2019, 10:35 AM
^This

I don't think anyone feels he's "the best offensive mind in football" That's a tad bit hyperbole.

My feelings of being comfortable come from the fact that the players we have fit well within a Kubiak offense, even our lame duck QB. Kubiak has the best possibility of getting the maximum potential out of some of them.

There is also the fact that the guys who are currently considered the "best and brightest" learned from Kubes and Shanny and their schemes aren't far off from what Kubiak runs. IF we can see some creativity and new concepts brought in (it is yet to be seen if that will happen) then our offense won't be far removed from the McVay's and Shanny Jr's of the world.