PDA

View Full Version : How should the Broncos coaching staff look?

Jsteve01
01-06-2019, 09:47 AM
Dog just had a post I agreed with immensely. So I thought it'd be interesting to get everyone's perspective on how they personally would put together a coaching staff. My assertion has always been that I want the Norv Turners and Wade Phillips of the world in my coordinator spot. Guys who are so good as coordinators that they've had multiple opportunities as head coaches. My basic premise is that if you have a hot young coordinator it creates instability because it's only a matter of time before they get an opportunity as a head coach.

The Joe Woods scenario is obviously fresh in our minds. The Broncos were so concerned about losing Woods that they let Wade walk. The Paradigm here is that unless you've got an older coach who you know is going to walk away in two or three years, the young coordinator situation is a lose-lose situation. Either he's fantastic and he leaves in two to three years or he's a turd and you have to replace it anyways. When you have a Phillips, or a Turner, or even apparently a Greg Williams there is a known quantity. Teams know that they're great coordinators and they also know that they're just not very good head coaches. There's no fear of losing them. There's no loss of continuity as we've seen first hand with what happened to our defense over the past two years. I also like the idea of seasoned veteran coordinator with some head coaching experience as someone for the younger Hot Shot head coach to lean on.

UnderArmour
01-06-2019, 10:45 AM
I have a hard time blaming Joe Woods entirely for the lack of aggressiveness. As a coordinator, if your head coach does not empower you to take risks, you're not going to. Younger coordinators especially forget why they rose so high on the ladder in the first place, and begin losing the edge that got them the job in the first place. Every successful coordinator in the league has a head coach that empowers them, Vance Joseph definitely was not that.

As far as retreads go for coordinator spots, Kubiak and Hue Jackson would both be excellent retread HC coordinators. Hue gets a lot of hate (rightfully) for the job he did in Cleveland, but like Whisenhunt I think if he devoted the entirety of his time to coordinating an offense, he would go right back to being a top tier coordinator. Hue to Denver won't happen though, but he will do a good job. I expect the Broncos to hire Kubiak for the spot.

Defensively, Rex Ryan is a name to watch. I expect him to have a job on an NFL coaching staff next year, with motivation to get his name back out there for head coaching jobs. If Fangio bolts, I expect him to go to Chicago though because of family history. The Broncos will probably end up with Joe Woods again.

Jsteve01
01-06-2019, 11:15 AM
I have a hard time blaming Joe Woods entirely for the lack of aggressiveness. As a coordinator, if your head coach does not empower you to take risks, you're not going to. Younger coordinators especially forget why they rose so high on the ladder in the first place, and begin losing the edge that got them the job in the first place. Every successful coordinator in the league has a head coach that empowers them, Vance Joseph definitely was not that.

As far as retreads go for coordinator spots, Kubiak and Hue Jackson would both be excellent retread HC coordinators. Hue gets a lot of hate (rightfully) for the job he did in Cleveland, but like Whisenhunt I think if he devoted the entirety of his time to coordinating an offense, he would go right back to being a top tier coordinator. Hue to Denver won't happen though, but he will do a good job. I expect the Broncos to hire Kubiak for the spot.

Defensively, Rex Ryan is a name to watch. I expect him to have a job on an NFL coaching staff next year, with motivation to get his name back out there for head coaching jobs. If Fangio bolts, I expect him to go to Chicago though because of family history. The Broncos will probably end up with Joe Woods again.

No way woods is back next year. The defense finally start to look better after vance asserted himself on that side of the ball.

UnderArmour
01-06-2019, 11:36 AM
No way woods is back next year. The defense finally start to look better after vance asserted himself on that side of the ball.

If the Broncos go with an offensive-minded coach, don't be surprised if he's back. Musgrave is definitely gone, but I would give Woods a 50-50 chance of returning under Taylor or Munchak with the other 50 being the Broncos talking Chuck Pagano into being DC.

Valar Morghulis
01-06-2019, 12:20 PM
Fangio - HC
Let him hire whoever the hell he wants as coordinators

But i would quite like J Pagano at DC (not sure if his and Fangio;s schemes match up or not)
and maybe a Taylor/Kubes OC partnership

But i fear we will get Munchak and two old boys network hires from his average days of being a HC elsewhere

If we get Fangio - i wouldn't be objected to Greg Roman as OC - those two worked well in San Francisco for about 3 or 4 years

Poet
01-06-2019, 01:13 PM
The staff should upset old fans who just want to run the damn ball and play hard nosed defense!!!

UnderArmour
01-06-2019, 01:21 PM
The staff should upset old fans who just want to run the damn ball and play hard nosed defense!!!

DISAGREE MAN WE GOTTA LET CASE KEENUM TURN IT LOOSE!!! 50 passing attempts MINIMUM with case keenum. i dont know what nfl teams are doing if it was me i would line my team up in the spread mike mccoy style and ignore the personnel we got and just let my garb qb get lit up every play behind his garb offensive line with no balance.

we need coaches that tell players YOU PLAY IN MY SYSTEM and SHUT IT or get traded
hot yung ocs for lyf

Poet
01-06-2019, 01:26 PM
DISAGREE MAN WE GOTTA LET CASE KEENUM TURN IT LOOSE!!! 50 passing attempts MINIMUM with case keenum. i dont know what nfl teams are doing if it was me i would line my team up in the spread mike mccoy style and ignore the personnel we got and just let my garb qb get lit up every play behind his garb offensive line with no balance.

we need coaches that tell players YOU PLAY IN MY SYSTEM and SHUT IT or get traded
hot yung ocs for lyf
Why talk about Keenum when he’s clearly not the future? I stopped reading after that - if you want his Tennessee Titans offense in 2018 go for it. Just know he doesn’t run the ball to set up a dynamic passing game. Like you know, Reid or McVay do.

He’s an old school throwback HC. We should enjoy our future, I’m sure.

UnderArmour
01-06-2019, 02:02 PM
Why talk about Keenum when he’s clearly not the future? I stopped reading after that - if you want his Tennessee Titans offense in 2018 go for it. Just know he doesn’t run the ball to set up a dynamic passing game. Like you know, Reid or McVay do.

He’s an old school throwback HC. We should enjoy our future, I’m sure.

yeah you right Broncos should ignore draft grades and trade up for best qb regardless of scout ratings.

Honestly, this team has severe talent issues offensively. The Chiefs, Rams, and Eagles boosted their lines through the draft first. Philly's Super Bowl was won with a #2 QB because their line is so good. Elway needs a coach that will manage a game and scheme to what he has.

Poet
01-06-2019, 02:02 PM
yeah you right Broncos should ignore draft grades and trade up for best qb regardless of scout ratings.

Honestly, this team has severe talent issues offensively. The Chiefs, Rams, and Eagles boosted their lines through the draft first. Philly's Super Bowl was won with a #2 QB because their line is so good. Elway needs a coach that will manage a game and scheme to what he has.

So when there ends up being two or three first round graded QBs...oh lord. Never mind.

UnderArmour
01-06-2019, 02:06 PM
So when there ends up being two or three first round graded QBs...oh lord. Never mind.
If Elway and the scouting department had a 95 grade on Chubb and an 80 on Allen or Rosen, you roll with your scouts every time.

Poet
01-06-2019, 02:08 PM
If Elway and the scouting department had a 95 grade on Chubb and an 80 on Allen or Rosen, you roll with your scouts every time.

I’m more concerned about not trading up for Darnold or Baker. Or the fact that we amazingly don’t find a guy worth going up to get for the second year in a row. Which would make me lose all hope in QB evaluation.

I’m out fam. Keep representing the legal community. Did you mother ******s know this man went to Northwestern? That boy styled.

UnderArmour
01-06-2019, 02:11 PM
I’m more concerned about not trading up for Darnold or Baker. Or the fact that we amazingly don’t find a guy worth going up to get for the second year in a row. Which would make me lose all hope in QB evaluation.

I’m out fam. Keep representing the legal community. Did you mother ******s know this man went to Northwestern? That boy styled.
I actually went to UT Austin, think you mixed me up with someone else.

The Colts got 2 All Pro players out of the trade the Jets made. The Giants were never going to give up Barkley.

Poet
01-06-2019, 02:12 PM
I actually went to UT Austin, think you mixed me up with someone else.

The Colts got 2 All Pro players out of the trade the Jets made. The Giants were never going to give up Barkley.

Oh my bad. Well UT is a top twenty school and two years ago moved into the top 14.

Mo pointed out we had a trade for two lined up if Baker fell. Earlier on in the period Cleveland was shopping the pick.

dogfish
01-06-2019, 06:39 PM
If we get Fangio - i wouldn't be objected to Greg Roman as OC - those two worked well in San Francisco for about 3 or 4 years

that's actually who i would expect with fangio. . . we can get kaepernick and run the read option as our base offense. . .

i think we're gonna hire mike nunchucks, though. . . can i interest you fellas in mike mularkey as OC?

Valar Morghulis
01-06-2019, 06:42 PM
that's actually who i would expect with fangio. . . we can get kaepernick and run the read option as our base offense. . .

i think we're gonna hire mike nunchucks, though. . . can i interest you fellas in mike mularkey as OC?

Lol, to both statements. Would love to have kap here, if even only so I could buy his jersey!

And mularkey would excite me no end....

Poet
01-06-2019, 08:00 PM
Lol, to both statements. Would love to have kap here, if even only so I could buy his jersey!

And mularkey would excite me no end....

Buy me one. Size 8XL, please and thank you.

aberdien
01-06-2019, 08:08 PM
I'll buy a Kaepernick jersey for Joe to wear every Sunday, to church and what not!

UnderArmour
01-06-2019, 08:09 PM
After watching that game, Vic Fangio should be the next head coach of the Denver Broncos. His guys showed up to play.

aberdien
01-06-2019, 08:11 PM
After watching that game, Vic Fangio should be the next head coach of the Denver Broncos. His guys showed up to play.

Von's mom would be happy.

#GiveVonsMommaWhatSheWants

Poet
01-06-2019, 08:34 PM
Fangio isn't young. He's not an offensive coach. He's not a great fit for what we SHOULD be doing.

But he's competent and does use the talent he has in great ways. He resurrected Fuller's career, for instance. Before CHI had a secondary of note, that front seven carried the entire team, really.

He would be a good hire. Not what I want. Not what is TRULY needed, but he's a quality hire.

Munchak is just like a nunchuk - looks good on t.v. till you have to put in work with it.

Simple Jaded
01-06-2019, 08:34 PM
I want a coaching staff that told Elway that there’s zero chance of hiring me unless you draft me a QB, I want nothing to do with a coach that’s content with Case ******* Keenum.

UnderArmour
01-06-2019, 09:05 PM
Fangio isn't young. He's not an offensive coach. He's not a great fit for what we SHOULD be doing.

But he's competent and does use the talent he has in great ways. He resurrected Fuller's career, for instance. Before CHI had a secondary of note, that front seven carried the entire team, really.

He would be a good hire. Not what I want. Not what is TRULY needed, but he's a quality hire.

Munchak is just like a nunchuk - looks good on t.v. till you have to put in work with it.

I just want to win again without a head coach blowing it. Vance Joseph was the Michael Scott of coaches, without the success.

Poet
01-07-2019, 12:24 AM
I just want to win again without a head coach blowing it. Vance Joseph was the Michael Scott of coaches, without the success.

I feel you man. We can at least go "Hey, this guy adapts his schemes around his talent. He might not go from one puritanical approach to another, but he meshes it together and it works. Demonstrably."

It be how it can be when it do.

Cugel
01-07-2019, 04:20 AM
I want a coaching staff that told Elway that there’s zero chance of hiring me unless you draft me a QB, I want nothing to do with a coach that’s content with Case ******* Keenum.

:lol: What coach do you imagine would look at the entire season tape of Keenum and say "Wow! I can't wait to coach Case Keenum! He's great!" Someone that stupid doesn't exist.

Elway will say: "OK, who then do you envision us getting? We have to pay $10 to get rid of Keenum, and then signing whatever veteran you want is gonna cost us an extra $20m + . Convince me that someone like Teddy Bridgewater (say) would be worth paying an extra $10m in salary cap over what we're paying Keenum this year?"

BeefStew25
01-07-2019, 01:55 PM
I think No Fly Zone was like the last of the Mohicans. Sitting on the ridge. Knowing they won the battle but more white devils are on the way.

UnderArmour
01-07-2019, 02:02 PM
I think No Fly Zone was like the last of the Mohicans. Sitting on the ridge. Knowing they won the battle but more white devils are on the way.

I thought that too when we had Champ and Dawkins, but then Chris Harris Jr. comes out of nowhere. I don't think the secondary is done just yet.

Buff
01-07-2019, 02:18 PM

beautiful prose, this.

BeefStew25
01-07-2019, 02:19 PM
beautiful prose, this.

Malik Jackson died in battle. We mourn him. Knowing there won’t be another.

Cugel
01-07-2019, 02:46 PM

Trade up for Darnold you mean. NOBODY could have drafted Baker Mayfield other than the Browns since they had the #1 pick and refused to listen to offers for it - since they had already missed out on drafting Carson Wentz and DeShaun Watson and couldn't face the fan/media criticism if they blew a chance to get a franchise QB AGAIN after having the #1 pick.

THere probably IS NOBODY worth going up to get this year - according to Adam Schefter who talks to about 12 NFL teams a day (he says) "what are you hearing." I doubt those are Adam's opinions. They are the opinions of the NFL GMs he talks to.

The Broncos might as well draft an OT or a TE or CB with #10.

Cugel
01-07-2019, 02:49 PM
I thought that too when we had Champ and Dawkins, but then Chris Harris Jr. comes out of nowhere. I don't think the secondary is done just yet.

Done? No. They have Will Parks coming on. They still have Chris Harris.

So, they need two starting caliber CBs and have nobody. They are probably dumping Darien Stewart and letting Bradley Roby go (according to Troy Renk).

It's a rebuild, but they still have a couple of players. Brenden Langley looks like a bust though and DeMarcus Walker can't get on the field and Domato Pecko an UFA.

Simple Jaded
01-08-2019, 12:10 AM
Malik Jackson died in battle. We mourn him. Knowing there won’t be another.

Malik expects Jacksonville to cut him, bring him back.

Unfortunately that’s beneath Elway.

Simple Jaded
01-08-2019, 12:11 AM
Trade up for Darnold you mean. NOBODY could have drafted Baker Mayfield other than the Browns since they had the #1 pick and refused to listen to offers for it - since they had already missed out on drafting Carson Wentz and DeShaun Watson and couldn't face the fan/media criticism if they blew a chance to get a franchise QB AGAIN after having the #1 pick.

THere probably IS NOBODY worth going up to get this year - according to Adam Schefter who talks to about 12 NFL teams a day (he says) "what are you hearing." I doubt those are Adam's opinions. They are the opinions of the NFL GMs he talks to.

The Broncos might as well draft an OT or a TE or CB with #10.

Aren’t you the one that lectures us on “lying season” every year?

BeefStew25
01-08-2019, 12:22 AM
Malik expects Jacksonville to cut him, bring him back.

Unfortunately that’s beneath Elway.

Jackson’s best years are prolly done.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-08-2019, 12:29 AM
Aren’t you the one that lectures us on “lying season” every year?

That may be me

Simple Jaded
01-08-2019, 12:42 AM
That may be me

And you’re right about that, but no, I think Cugel does too.

dogfish
01-08-2019, 05:04 AM
Jackson’s best years are prolly done.

so we can get him on an incentive-laden deal? cool, should be angry malik again. . . i like the way this is shaping up. . .

Simple Jaded
01-08-2019, 03:15 PM
so we can get him on an incentive-laden deal? cool, should be angry malik again. . . i like the way this is shaping up. . .

It’s science, Dog.