PDA

View Full Version : Elway, Broncos veterans eye offensive changes in 2019

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2019, 11:02 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — After joining the team as an undrafted free agent in 2011, Chris Harris Jr. has spent more time with the Broncos than any current player not named Von Miller. He's seen division and conference championships, playoff wins and even a Super Bowl victory.

But now he and the Broncos are mired in a streak of three consecutive seasons without a single playoff berth. On Monday, Harris identified what he feels is the reason behind that drought.

"I think we just haven’t evolved here," Harris said. "I think after the Super Bowl we kind of just got stagnant. We haven’t evolved. We’ve got to figure out how we can evolve on offense, defense, special teams and everything [and] get better as players. We have to evolve with the times of the NFL. We’re behind right now."

rest - good article - https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/elway-broncos-veterans-eye-offensive-changes-in-2019

Cugel
01-01-2019, 11:12 PM
Well, mostly it's the players. True, Vance Joseph and co didn't help. There was bad coaching that cost a few games. But, suppose they won 3 games because they had superior coaching? That's 9-7. DO you think that talent wise, this is a 9-7 team? No. :coffee:

They are exactly what they appear - a team with major holes on offense and defense and (perhaps due to coaching) on special teams.

On Offense: they don't have a QB of course, and the scheme that they ran didn't fit Case Keenum very well. He didn't execute the plays he had right in front of him either.

Well, there's not an obvious upgrade. There's the realization "we desperately need a QB in a draft where there probably isn't one." There was the hope that the veteran QB they signed in FA would work out and that hope failed. He was no better than Trevor Siemian.

NO TEs. Butt out his entire career due to surgery, and Heurman a FA and injured.

Defense: All kinds of problems and replacing Barrett, Pecko, Roby, Marshall, and several others. Oh, and they went from the best 3 CB tandem in football in 2017 to NO starting caliber CBs at the end of 2018. Now Roby is gone and they desperately need to draft a CB. That could be their pick at #10 if no QB there is worth such a high pick. A CB would be a really valuable selection.

Or a TE.

Simple Jaded
01-02-2019, 02:33 AM
CuJoel. You literally told us that “nobody knows Case Keenum better than the Denver Broncos”, now they didn’t use him right.

He sucks, period ... it’s his fault, not the coaches.

Btw, iirc, you don’t follow the draft, stay in your lane big shifter.

Hawgdriver
01-02-2019, 02:51 AM
Ok. So...

What are the offensive changes mentioned in the header?

Guess Elway is eyeing them with a kind of wistful, far-away look.

Seriously tho. A menu of HCs that haven't made significant contributions to NFL offensive theory and we are supposed to buy this lip service?

Let's see it, not hear it.

Simple Jaded
01-02-2019, 02:53 AM
Ok. So...

What are the offensive changes mentioned in the header?

Guess Elway is eyeing them with a kind of wistful, far-away look.

Seriously tho. A menu of HCs that haven't made significant contributions to NFL offensive theory and we are supposed to buy this lip service?

Let's see it, not hear it.

I didn’t get much change at all from Elway comments, seems to me he’s doubling down on the current system.

Simple Jaded
01-02-2019, 02:56 AM
Maybe (hopefully) Zac Taylor is the hotshit OC.

Simple Jaded
01-02-2019, 03:00 AM
Ya know who Munchak’s OC was in Tennessee? Chris Palmer (who he fired) and Dowell Loggains.

Pagano had Pep Hamilton, Rob Chudzinski and Clyde Christenson.

None of these coaches offer continuity.

Except for Taylor, but if he is the HC what kind of staff could we possibly expect from him?

Me thinks the new HC isn’t being allowed to fill his own staff.

Poet
01-02-2019, 03:01 AM
Oh Hawg with the raw dawg.

Hawgdriver
01-02-2019, 03:06 AM
Maybe (hopefully) Zac Taylor is the hotshit OC.

Wasn't he a Husker QB? I think I liked him. Don't know much about the coach.

Simple Jaded
01-02-2019, 03:08 AM
Wasn't he a Husker QB? I think I liked him. Don't know much about the coach.

He was, played for Bill Callahan iirc, so connect those dots and pray.

Simple Jaded
01-02-2019, 03:09 AM
Raw dawg Hawg.

Poet
01-02-2019, 03:12 AM
Raw dawg Hawg.

North went hard with the pew Jackson andi wanted to style as well!

Simple Jaded
Maybe Elway hires Zac Taylor with the pretense that he’ll assemble a staff for him while he’s still coaching in the PO’s, devious.

nevcraw
I keep Coming back to this report by Albert Breer in November. and elways statement about the new rules helping the offense - so evolving is required.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/11/8/18074006/report-broncos-gm-john-elway-has-taken-a-special-interest-in-college-type-offenses

And that with some buzz starting circulate in NFL circles that GM John Elway has taken a special interest in the kinds of college concepts his division rival Chiefs have employed, which could be a tip to his plans for January, if things keep going this way.

Here’s hoping that what they are interviewing someone for as HC is a super strong desire to adapt to the new shit and will either let kubes do it as OC after he’s been studying up for the past year or bring in a young gun to do it...
maybe doesn’t seem like munchak or fanjio or pagano but me thinks the guy getting hired will be the one most on board with the new wave.

Simple Jaded
01-02-2019, 03:13 AM
North went hard with the pew Jackson andi wanted to style as well!

Pew Jackson was style-god.

Poet
01-02-2019, 03:15 AM
Pew Jackson was style-god.

Dare I say it was Owl God.

nevcraw
01-02-2019, 03:17 AM
Ya know who Munchak’s OC was in Tennessee? Chris Palmer (who he fired) and Dowell Loggains.

Pagano had Pep Hamilton, Rob Chudzinski and Clyde Christenson.

None of these coaches offer continuity.

Except for Taylor, but if he is the HC what kind of staff could we possibly expect from him?

Me thinks the new HC isn’t being allowed to fill his own staff.

My take on his continuity mention was him saying making changes every few years doesn’t offer continuity.

Hawgdriver
01-02-2019, 03:18 AM
Raw dawg Hawg.

I needed a new sig.

Poet
01-02-2019, 03:22 AM
I needed a new sig.

I gave the source material and you do this?!?!

I...I used to be the greatest. Now...I’m...the style fraud.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-02-2019, 08:57 AM
We tried to employ college concepts for Paxton, but...

Simple Jaded
01-02-2019, 09:56 PM
I gave the source material and you do this?!?!

I...I used to be the greatest. Now...I’m...the style fraud.

I’m like BASF, I don’t make a lot of the style you buy, I make a lot of the style you buy ... better.

BASF, Bad Ass Style Mother******.

aberdien
01-02-2019, 10:01 PM
I keep Coming back to this report by Albert Breer in November. and elways statement about the new rules helping the offense - so evolving is required.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/11/8/18074006/report-broncos-gm-john-elway-has-taken-a-special-interest-in-college-type-offenses

Here’s hoping that what they are interviewing someone for as HC is a super strong desire to adapt to the new shit and will either let kubes do it as OC after he’s been studying up for the past year or bring in a young gun to do it...
maybe doesn’t seem like munchak or fanjio or pagano but me thinks the guy getting hired will be the one most on board with the new wave.

Well he'd have to be deaf and dumb to not recognize that if the Broncos don't adapt and get a good HC with a good QB, we're gonna be behind the times for the next decade in the AFC West. So we can only hope he is using that impulse in his decision making this offseason.

Simple Jaded
01-02-2019, 10:01 PM
My take on his continuity mention was him saying making changes every few years doesn’t offer continuity.

Hope you’re right but in listening to sports talk today it feels like a forgone conclusion that Kubiak is the next OC regardless of who the HC is.