PDA

View Full Version : How attractive is the Broncos head coaching job?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2019, 02:00 PM
It was a somber day in Dove Valley after news broke that John Elway had made the decision to fire Head Coach Vance Joseph after two very disappointing seasons. Joseph was well liked by the players, which only made the move more difficult to swallow for those within the organization.

After the reaction, attention shifted rapidly to where the Denver Broncos organization goes from here. The veteran leaders on the team all had differing opinions on what kind of guy the team should hire to take over the head coaching role in Denver.

Todd Davis noted that, “As a defensive player you always want a defensive coach to come in, that’s just how it is, but I trust the staff upstairs and John Elway that they’re going to bring in the right guy. I trust whatever their decision is.”

rest - interesting stuff - https://www.milehighreport.com/2019/1/1/18164057/how-attractive-is-broncos-head-coaching-job

Northman
01-01-2019, 02:07 PM
Denver is still one of the best organizations in the NFL. IF the Browns can still get a coach year after year it wont be a problem for the Broncos.

Poet
01-01-2019, 02:09 PM
I think it's in the middle of the pack. Cleveland is atop because of the defensive talent and the QBotF. GB is second, or arguably first because of Rodgers. Jets are up there via QBotF and cap space.

We, in contrast, don't have a QBotF (yet) and a big ole sack of pass rushers. That matters. We have some solid pieces on offense, and one standout piece in 30.

We are above Tampa (Winston has been both great, awful, and he's nuts), Cincinnati (some decent talent but Mike Brown is hell), and Arizona (worst roster in the entire league).

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2019, 02:12 PM
Sexy AF

MOtorboat
01-01-2019, 03:08 PM
I think it’s still a pretty attractive job considering who Denver is competing against to get a coach.

I would rank the openings:

Green Bay: Even late-30s Aaron Rodgers is easily the best quarterback on the board for job openings. The roster needs upgrading, the new GM had a decent draft class I think, but there’s some question about who’s calling the shot.

Denver: Traditionally good organization with a strong fan base and maybe the most talent (mostly defensively) than any team on this list. My biggest worry is Denver not really letting the head coach assemble the staff he wants. That could limit the number of coaches who want to consider the job.

NY Jets: I think this is a fairly attractive job because of Darnold, but the roster needs upgraded badly and their big signing so far is extending Quincy Enunwa. They need better talent than Enunwa to compete with New England. The specter of New England also is a detriment.

Tampa Bay: As much as people hate Winston for off the field issues, he’s a good quarterback and that makes this a pretty attractive job. Question is what will Jason Licht do as general manager, maybe don’t draft kickers, dude.

Cleveland: It’s a been a poorly run organization since it’s inception, there’s a front office battle over analytics and old-school guys like John Dorsey. Dorsey is a good GM, but ownership seems to like the analytics. I don’t think working with Mayfield is as attractive as most, so I’m probably biased here.

Cincinnati: No one knows who is calling the shots and the scouting department sucks. Questions about Dalton’s future are also here. I’d say Cincinnati is kind of the unknown here, maybe because the job hasn’t been vacant in so long.

Miami: I’m not really sure what Stephen Ross is doing, but apparently shaking up the entire management structure?

Arizona: Definitely the worst opening, and it’s hard to tell how much input a new coach will get or how much of a chance to establish stability he’ll have after they fired Wilks after one year. The Bidwells have always been pretty questionable owners.

Nomad
01-01-2019, 03:15 PM
In the interviews yesterday, I thought Elway & Ellis said the new HC will be able to assemble the coaching staff he wants, even if there are current coaching staff under contract.

Simple Jaded
01-01-2019, 05:36 PM
In the interviews yesterday, I thought Elway & Ellis said the new HC will be able to assemble the coaching staff he wants, even if there are current coaching staff under contract.

I think MO is talking about the FO wanting to stick with the current offensive system in some way/shape/form, and I get that feeling too.

Simple Jaded
01-01-2019, 05:39 PM
I think Miami is trying to attract a new GM, letting that person pick his own HC is part of that.

WTE
01-01-2019, 05:41 PM
I think it’s still a pretty attractive job considering who Denver is competing against to get a coach.

Green Bay: Even late-30s Aaron Rodgers is easily the best quarterback on the board for job openings. The roster needs upgrading, the new GM had a decent draft class I think, but there’s some question about who’s calling the shot.

Denver: Traditionally good organization with a strong fan base and maybe the most talent (mostly defensively) than any team on this list. My biggest worry is Denver not really letting the head coach assemble the staff he wants. That could limit the number of coaches who want to consider the job.

NY Jets: I think this is a fairly attractive job because of Darnold, but the roster needs upgraded badly and their big signing so far is extending Quincy Enunwa. They need better talent than Enunwa to compete with New England. The specter of New England also is a detriment.

Tampa Bay: As much as people hate Winston for off the field issues, he’s a good quarterback and that makes this a pretty attractive job. Question is what will Jason Licht do as general manager, maybe don’t draft kickers, dude.

Cleveland: It’s a been a poorly run organization since it’s inception, there’s a front office battle over analytics and old-school guys like John Dorsey. Dorsey is a good GM, but ownership seems to like the analytics. I don’t think working with Mayfield is as attractive as most, so I’m probably biased here.

Cincinnati: No one knows who is calling the shots and the scouting department sucks. Questions about Dalton’s future are also here. I’d say Cincinnati is kind of the unknown here, maybe because the job hasn’t been vacant in so long.

Miami: I’m not really sure what Stephen Ross is doing, but apparently shaking up the entire management structure?

Arizona: Definitely the worst opening, and it’s hard to tell how much input a new coach will get or how much of a chance to establish stability he’ll have after they fired Wilks after one year. The Bidwells have always been pretty questionable owners.

Great points. It looks like Josh is your best candidate.

Simple Jaded
01-01-2019, 05:50 PM

You hate him too?

Hawgdriver
01-01-2019, 06:43 PM
It might be less attractive to offensive minded HCs.

Get a discipline guy that players love at HC and find brilliant offensive minds for your analytics, simulation, QB, and OC positions. Maybe they come on board in a season or two...

Buff/MO - has Mitch Tanney added value to this franchise?

Simple Jaded
01-01-2019, 06:57 PM

Get a discipline guy that players love at HC and find brilliant offensive minds for your analytics, simulation, QB, and OC positions. Maybe they come on board in a season or two...

Isn’t Mitch Tanney that football hotshot throwing guy?

MOtorboat
01-01-2019, 07:07 PM

Hard to tell. I’m hoping he was going to Joseph each Monday and telling him his clock management was dumb as shit, but I have no idea if he did.

Joseph’s fourth down decision-making was also questionable, and it’s hard to tell if Tanney works with that, either.

Your guess is as good as mine on which draft prospects he’s had a hand in.

MOtorboat
01-01-2019, 07:08 PM

Let’s light the tires and kick the fires, boys!

Cugel
01-03-2019, 01:31 PM
Denver is still one of the best organizations in the NFL. IF the Browns can still get a coach year after year it wont be a problem for the Broncos.

Against Denver is the following:

1. The ownership situation that the Denver Post describes as "Ownership/management status: Complicated. Think “Game of Thrones,” only with fewer dragons and more lawyers."

2. Apparently, they want Kubiak to move to OC, rather than letting the new head coach pick his own staff. That was part of the trouble for Vance Joseph. He wasn't given that choice at the start of 2017 and thing started going downhill.

True, he would eventually have failed anyway due to inadequate skill, but forcing him to keep Joe Woods and Mike McCoy didn't help. VJ would probably have wanted to keep Wade as DC but that wasn't given to him as an option.

In short, he was never empowered to really run his own staff, let alone the team. By 2018 it was already too late. They gave him Case Keenum and said "go win the division. " And that was never realistic:

Can I win right away? Unless Patrick Mahomes and Philip Rivers are abducted by aliens over the winter, probably not. A division with this much quarterback depth demands you to counter it with either an elite defense or a signal-caller who can keep up in a shootout. At the moment, the Broncos have neither.

Simple Jaded
01-05-2019, 07:13 PM
ESPN ranked Denver opening 4th among the 8 jobs.

Jsteve01
01-05-2019, 07:24 PM

Mo it is time to let go of the Mayfield hate. He just broke the rookie td record. He is a boss. And he didnt have an all world receiving corps.

I would rank denver at 3 but i think given what is coming out about Arod that many may view the packers job as a bad deal. With the feud with his family, and coaching staff. Arron is looking douchey

Simple Jaded
01-05-2019, 09:55 PM
No, Mayfield is already a douche and I think he’s just getting warmed up.