PDA

View Full Version : This is the Draft We Take a QB

Pages : [1] 2

WARHORSE
12-30-2018, 08:50 PM
Id say we either trade with John Lynch for Mullens.........or we are going up to take a QB. Everyone up top has one already.

So who you want??

Mullens?

Lock?

DenBronx
12-30-2018, 09:28 PM
The top 3 teams already have QBs. We’re at 10. It wouldn’t be that hard to move up.

But I’m not excited about anyone in this years draft.

Davii
12-30-2018, 09:31 PM
Foles, Flacco, Carr, Stafford... all MIGHT be available. Not a fan of Flacco but I’d take the other three in a heartbeat.

Northman
12-30-2018, 09:33 PM
1st round can go to any talented player whether its Oline or defense. Im open to that and as far as QB's in this years draft i would be fine taking a chance on any of these guys.

Ryan Finley. College: N.C. State
Drew Lock. College: Missouri
Jake Browning. College: Washington
Daniel Jones College: Duke
Jarrett Stidham College: Auburn

HORSEPOWER 56
12-30-2018, 09:37 PM
The top 3 teams already have QBs. We’re at 10. It wouldn’t be that hard to move up.

I’m actually more excited about some of the prospects this year than last. Lock, Murray, Grier, and especially Jones from Duke intrigue me. I thought that Darnold was completely overrated last year because he was from USC. Turns out... yep not very special and a turnover machine like he was in college. I also guessed that Rosen would be great in the right system but would struggle in one not made to his skill sets... turns out...

Mayfield was really the only “lock” last year. Allen is doing everything with his athleticism but that won’t last. He’s gonna have to grow up or he’ll fail.

I think there are plenty of good options this year. We just have to make the right choice. My favorite right now is Jones.

BeefStew25
12-30-2018, 10:00 PM
Let’s reach for need. That usually works.

Dapper Dan
12-30-2018, 10:04 PM
This offseason is gonna be fun.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-30-2018, 10:07 PM
Haskins throws a pretty ball.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-30-2018, 10:09 PM

Seeing as how we don’t have a QB, and without one we’ll never sniff a winning season, I’m okay taking a leap of faith on a QB in the first round maybe a little higher than he’s projected. Fortune favors the bold.

I’m not saying let’s draft a 6th round prospect that may never play in the 1st, but there’s talent in this draft. We will also have lots of cap space to get some need players like a CB, a MLB, and maybe some OL. It’s not like there’s any franchise LTs in this draft (not that they really exist anymore). If you don’t have a QB the #1 priority is getting one. Once you have him, then worry about the other, more easily filled holes. We have our stud pass rushers. Now we need our QB. It’s time.

Northman
12-30-2018, 10:11 PM

Cutler did to.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-30-2018, 10:16 PM
Cutler did to.

Are you saying Haskins is a douche?

Northman
12-30-2018, 10:18 PM
Are you saying Haskins is a douche?

Lol, i dont know could be. But am saying that Jay could throw a pretty ball.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-30-2018, 10:27 PM

There’s no reason to assume Haskins is a jackass unless there are reports saying so.

Northman
12-30-2018, 10:29 PM
There’s no reason to assume Haskins is a jackass unless there are reports saying so.

Had nothing to do with attitude, you made a claim about a pretty ball and i said Cutler did the same. Nothing more, nothing less.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-30-2018, 10:30 PM
Had nothing to do with attitude, you made a claim about a pretty ball and i said Cutler did the same. Nothing more, nothing less.

Gotcha; speaking of Cutler, he’s better than anything we’ve seen the last 3 years.

Simple Jaded
12-30-2018, 10:33 PM
**** Mullens, do we have any standards anymore?

underrated29
12-30-2018, 10:39 PM

He will be the 1st qb drafted. Hes really good.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-30-2018, 10:41 PM
He will be the 1st qb drafted. Hes really good.

We need to move up to #1 and take him.

Simple Jaded
12-30-2018, 10:44 PM
We need to move up to #1 and take him.

Do it and get this shitshow over with.

aberdien
12-30-2018, 11:01 PM
Either that dude from Ohio State or don't bother. I'd prefer picking up a mid-late 20s/early 30s guy who doesn't suck. Ie not Keenum.

nevcraw
12-31-2018, 11:33 AM

Usually to the other team tho

WARHORSE
12-31-2018, 11:39 AM

Errr.....when it comes to franchise QBs, if the potential is there, you have no choice but to roll the dice.

Hopefully we get the right guy.

OrangeHoof
12-31-2018, 11:58 AM
Foles, Flacco, Carr, Stafford... all MIGHT be available. Not a fan of Flacco but I’d take the other three in a heartbeat.

Particularly after the Cousins/Keenum sweepstakes, I know this will seem unpopular but I'd much prefer a QB with NFL experience than to draft one at this point. We've been in this hole not because Case Keenum didn't pan out but because Paxton Lynch did not pan out. The truth is also that the rest of our personnel on offense is below average, not just the quarterback.

BroncoWave
12-31-2018, 12:00 PM

Worked for KC with Mahomes.

BeefStew25
12-31-2018, 12:26 PM
Worked for KC with Mahomes.

‘Usually’

BroncoWave
12-31-2018, 12:29 PM
‘Usually’

Like others have said, eventually you have to roll the dice and go for a guy. I think Haskins is worth it.

Simple Jaded
12-31-2018, 12:33 PM
Enough of this bullshit, draft a QB, draft 2 this year and next year.

Fix something for ******* once, Elway.

BeefStew25
12-31-2018, 12:35 PM
Like others have said, eventually you have to roll the dice and go for a guy. I think Haskins is worth it.

I mean I agree. I just don’t think elway is the guy to roll em.

aberdien
12-31-2018, 01:10 PM
I think we should draft all QBs this year. Surely one of them would be a franchise guy.

Nomad
12-31-2018, 01:15 PM
Enough of this bullshit, draft a QB, draft 2 this year and next year.

Fix something for ******* once, Elway.

Let's not get crazy. Trevor Lawrence will be eligible for the 2021 draft. :D

BeefStew25
12-31-2018, 01:19 PM
I think we should draft all QBs this year. Surely one of them would be a franchise guy.

You gotta think we should draft a QB every year regardless.

nevcraw
12-31-2018, 01:49 PM

Blaine gabbert 2.o?

nevcraw
12-31-2018, 01:50 PM

Used to work for Green Bay. Sign me up

Nomad
12-31-2018, 01:51 PM
Blaine gabbert 2.o?

I was joking around because Bronco fans always want the top QB in each draft. Lawrence is a freshman, so it's kinda early to compare.

Poet
12-31-2018, 03:02 PM
Particularly after the Cousins/Keenum sweepstakes, I know this will seem unpopular but I'd much prefer a QB with NFL experience than to draft one at this point. We've been in this hole not because Case Keenum didn't pan out but because Paxton Lynch did not pan out. The truth is also that the rest of our personnel on offense is below average, not just the quarterback.

We were in the hole because the GM never moved up to get a real blue chip prospect and half-assed everything relating to the QB. We're not going to get anyone who is good at the game via FA.

WARHORSE
12-31-2018, 05:07 PM

Definitely Im in line with this. If you hit on a Brady, or a Romo or the like.....the dividends are just too big to pass on. Undrafted free agents to boot.

FanInAZ
12-31-2018, 08:18 PM

The Bills at 9 also have their QB. As far as other 5 teams, the Bucs & Jags are the only 2 that I'm to understand are all but guaranteed to pick QBs. Raiders & Lions are coming from "insiders" who are notoriously unreliable. As far as the Giants, I heard game commentators in the last game say that they still believe in Eli. Of course that was before he threw 4 straight incomplete passes (I recall only 1 of which was an inexcusable drop) when the needed just 15-20 yards to attempt a game winning FG.

Simple Jaded
12-31-2018, 08:22 PM

Valid point.

I Stan T-rev Law (I just gave him that nickname, just now) and wanna show him my massive stawner.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2019, 12:24 PM
The Bills at 9 also have their QB. As far as other 5 teams, the Bucs & Jags are the only 2 that I'm to understand are all but guaranteed to pick QBs. Raiders & Lions are coming from "insiders" who are notoriously unreliable. As far as the Giants, I heard game commentators in the last game say that they still believe in Eli. Of course that was before he threw 4 straight incomplete passes (I recall only 1 of which was an inexcusable drop) when the needed just 15-20 yards to attempt a game winning FG.

There are reports that Tampa HC candidates are being told Winston is the guy going forward.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2019, 12:25 PM
I think we worry about NYG, Jax and Wash trading up. They HAVE to do something.

TXBRONC
01-01-2019, 12:34 PM
I think we worry about NYG, Jax and Wash trading up. They HAVE to do something.

Denver can trade up as well.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2019, 12:59 PM
Denver can trade up as well.

Nobody worth it IMO. As much as many don't like KC, he did find a rhythm before Sanders went down. Beef up the line, grab another CB and we can be OK. Don't reach on this crop of QBs. Someone will make it to us...even if we drop back a few spots.

Not saying CK is the answer...but good enough for us not to mortgage the farm.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-01-2019, 01:00 PM
Nobody worth it IMO. As much as many don't like KC, he did find a rhythm before Sanders went down. Beef up the line, grab another CB and we can be OK. Don't reach on this crop of QBs. Someone will make it to us...even if we drop back a few spots

Haskins is the one we want. We have the amo to move up to #1.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2019, 01:02 PM
Risky

Poet
01-01-2019, 01:10 PM
New QB or new GM. Elway can’t be scared.

Poet
01-01-2019, 01:12 PM
Haskins is the one we want. We have the amo to move up to #1.

This Is actual style. I’m proud of you.

Northman
01-01-2019, 01:13 PM
Nobody worth it IMO. As much as many don't like KC, he did find a rhythm before Sanders went down. Beef up the line, grab another CB and we can be OK. Don't reach on this crop of QBs. Someone will make it to us...even if we drop back a few spots.

This^

No QB in this draft is worth moving up for.

Poet
01-01-2019, 01:16 PM
This^

No QB in this draft is worth moving up for.

Viking squabble!

BroncoWave
01-01-2019, 01:18 PM
This Is actual style. I’m proud of you.

Haskins or bust!

Northman
01-01-2019, 01:18 PM
Viking squabble!

Hate to say but i think Haskins will be a bust. But even beyond that Smilin is correct that we probably roll with CK for at least one more year and just draft a QB or 2 if they are available later in the draft. None of them are worth giving up a shit ton of picks for.

Poet
01-01-2019, 01:21 PM
Hate to say but i think Haskins will be a bust. But even beyond that Smilin is correct that we probably roll with CK for at least one more year and just draft a QB or 2 if they are available later in the draft. None of them are worth giving up a shit ton of picks for.
I respect it, NM. I think he’s legitimate. He’s already getting first round grades. But Myers system is QB heaven.

TXBRONC
01-01-2019, 01:27 PM

True, but that may not be their guy just because a guy falls to us doesn't that guy matches up on your draft board. Also wasn't Mahomes seen as risk? Sitting at ten doesn't mean they have to mortgage the future.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2019, 01:30 PM
True, but that may not be their guy just because a guy falls to us doesn't that guy matches up on your draft board. Also wasn't Mahomes seen as risk? Sitting at ten doesn't mean they have to mortgage the future.

My comment was in response to the idea of us moving up

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-01-2019, 01:31 PM
I respect it, NM. I think he’s legitimate. He’s already getting first round grades. But Myers system is QB heaven.

They revamped the offense for him because he’s a pure pocket passer; not much read option. He only runs 4-5 times a game. But man, his passes are a thing of beauty. They’re effortless.

Poet
01-01-2019, 01:39 PM
They revamped the offense for him because he’s a pure pocket passer; not much read option. He only runs 4-5 times a game. But man, his passes are a thing of beauty. They’re effortless.

https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/1076865018141069312

The board that advises players on how NFL teams see them estimates him as a first round QB.

Does that mean anything other than the board noting that NFL teams will take him as a first rounder? Nope. But it does speak to the situation. QB's are often not the top prospect in a draft. Goff wasn't. He went first overall. Rams ain't angry. That's one instance. If you got the goods as a QB, you got the goods. Let's ******* get us a QB, boys.

TXBRONC
01-01-2019, 01:47 PM
My comment was in response to the idea of us moving up

I know, and I'm saying sitting at ten it's nearly costly as sitting in the twenties.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2019, 01:57 PM
I know, and I'm saying sitting at ten it's nearly costly as sitting in the twenties.

We currently own #10. Moving up would decrease our assets. Moving back a few would increase them. If we move up 10 #1 for OUR GUY, go for it. I'll support it. But I'm not sure this draft has THAT guy. Don't really wanna give assets just to settle on A guy

Poet
01-01-2019, 02:01 PM
We currently own #10. Moving up would decrease our assets. Moving back a few would increase them. If we move up 10 #1 for OUR GUY, go for it. I'll support it. But I'm not sure this draft has THAT guy. Don't really wanna give assets just to settle on A guy

We had more options last year. Elway said no. At a certain point it's either get a real QB prospect or sit dead in the water.

We are dead in the water right now.

Northman
01-01-2019, 02:05 PM
We had more options last year. Elway said no. At a certain point it's either get a real QB prospect or sit dead in the water.

The problem is there is no Baker Mayfield in this draft. No need to reach.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2019, 02:08 PM

He took one of last year's options. Just happened to be a FA and not a draftee. As I've stated before, not saying Keenum is the answer, but until our Oline is at least average, we won't ever know. Now we lucked into Chubb and I can't crap on that pick, but it clearly didn't help us score points. I personally say we draft an OT or trade back a few spots for assets and still get a QB. Regardless of the order...we need to get serious about the Oline. Look at the successful offenses in our league...they do have QBs, but they also have elite lines. Roethlisberger and Brews didnt get any better from 3 years ago. Their lines did.

Poet
01-01-2019, 02:16 PM
He took one of last year's options. Just happened to be a FA and not a draftee. As I've stated before, not saying Keenum is the answer, but until our Oline is at least average, we won't ever know. Now we lucked into Chubb and I can't crap on that pick, but it clearly didn't help us score points. I personally say we draft an OT or trade back a few spots for assets and still get a QB. Regardless of the order...we need to get serious about the Oline. Look at the successful offenses in our league...they do have QBs, but they also have elite lines. Roethlisberger and Brews didnt get any better from 3 years ago. Their lines did.

The offensive line was average.

And elite QB's make lines better. So, for instance, when Brees steps up into the pocket because there is one and CK backpedals into a pass rush, I'm less incline to blame the line. Brees is the king of avoiding pressure post-snap.

You don't need five all-pro offensive lineman.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2019, 02:17 PM
The offensive line was average.

And elite QB's make lines better. So, for instance, when Brees steps up into the pocket because there is one and CK backpedals into a pass rush, I'm less incline to blame the line. Brees is the king of avoiding pressure post-snap.

You don't need five all-pro offensive lineman.

But you have to see the success of the offense as they have addressed the oline. Clearly a direct correlation.

TXBRONC
01-01-2019, 02:19 PM

I hear ya SA and for the most part I agree. At the same time if they trade up and get the guy want and he's a homerun then is it worth it? It's a risk.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2019, 02:21 PM
I hear ya SA and for the most part I agree. At the same time if they trade up and get the guy want and he's a homerun then is it worth it? It's a risk.

Definitely worth it and I would never say otherwise. If it's THE guy and not just settling.

aberdien
01-01-2019, 02:23 PM
I like Haskins a lot better than any QBs from the last draft and I hope we trade up for him.

I also understand that due to contracts and what not you gotta play the long game sometimes.

aberdien
01-01-2019, 02:25 PM
I hope Elway lets him wear #7.

https://a3.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2018%2F1201%2Fr471554_1296x729_16 %2D9.jpg&w=570

TXBRONC
01-01-2019, 02:25 PM

SA the offensive line preformed pretty well. North posted the numbers from this year as opposed to the year before and there was huge jump in performance.

Poet
01-01-2019, 02:26 PM
SA the offensive line preformed pretty well. North posted the numbers from this year as opposed to the year before and there was huge jump in performance.

The line is fine. People just want to make excuses.

Poet
01-01-2019, 02:27 PM
I hope Elway lets him wear #7.

https://a3.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2018%2F1201%2Fr471554_1296x729_16 %2D9.jpg&w=570

Abe, let's ******* ride!

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2019, 02:36 PM
The line was better...but the bar was embarrassingly low. Still nowhere near good enough and oft injured. It's not an excuse. CK was never anyone who excited me. But I believe he is our option going forward and there is only 1 prospect in this draft I'd even consider reaching for. Get him more help. We now have RBs and WRs we are excited about. Get oline stability.

aberdien
01-01-2019, 02:38 PM
I hope Drew Lock is considered the #1 QB prospect.

Northman
01-01-2019, 02:39 PM
I hope Drew Lock is considered the #1 QB prospect.

Oh! Then we should trade up and snag himi!

Cugel
01-01-2019, 02:39 PM
I’m actually more excited about some of the prospects this year than last. Lock, Murray, Grier, and especially Jones from Duke intrigue me. I thought that Darnold was completely overrated last year because he was from USC. Turns out... yep not very special and a turnover machine like he was in college. I also guessed that Rosen would be great in the right system but would struggle in one not made to his skill sets... turns out...

Mayfield was really the only “lock” last year. Allen is doing everything with his athleticism but that won’t last. He’s gonna have to grow up or he’ll fail.

I think there are plenty of good options this year. We just have to make the right choice. My favorite right now is Jones.

That's the problem all these spread option QBs face coming into the NFL. If they keep doing that shit for long they are going to get seriously wracked up like RGIII did. Or Carson Wentz for that matter. No matter how talented and athletic a running QB is essentially a RB. And RBs last less than 5 years as starters in this league.

At the same time QBs are not paid like RBs. A franchise QB will make between $20-$30m a year. So, you don't want him blowing out his knee on some stupid 7 yard run. SO - every OC is in a race to develop his QB into a pocket passing QB.

Because they protect the QB in the pocket, outside not so much. Not even Cam Newton could hold up year after year doing that, and he's the size of a middle LB.

They'll use the QB in whatever system he can become familiar with, but like Elway himself, he will have to learn to play inside the pocket more and more as his career continues. Goff has learned to do that. Whoever Denver drafts will have to do the same.

Today's NFL would LOVE Elway in his rookie year. Denver was horrible back then, but if they had had some talent on offense and a modern NFL system, Elway would have fit right in. He would look at his first read, and if it wasn't there he'd take off and try and make something happen with his feet. Run-pass option. And he could throw off his back foot 30 yards diagonally across the field to hit a WR on the left sideline while sprinting full out towards the right sideline. DBs quickly learned not to come off their men just because Elway was sprinting towards the other side of the field.

But, like he said yesterday - it's difficult to see that style being a permanent solution. Every NFL team wants to make use of their QB's running ability, but only as long as it takes for the kid to become a pocket passing QB who runs occasionally on designed plays, but not as a regular thing.

That transition might take a couple of years, but they all encourage it - like the 49ers did with Steve Young who was as talented at running with the ball as any QB in NFL history.

aberdien
01-01-2019, 02:45 PM
Oh! Then we should trade up and snag himi!

No, so we can get Haskins when he falls.

Cash money. Take it to the bank. SB on the way.

Simple Jaded
01-01-2019, 05:58 PM

The line is fine. People just want to make excuses.

PFF thinks P-Stiff hung the moon.

Poet
01-01-2019, 06:03 PM
PFF thinks P-Stiff hung the moon.

The problem with this is that Paradis passes the eye test and the analytics test. Moreover, both Footballoutsiders and other sites have the Broncos line being decent. I know the line is decent because I pay attention to the game. As do others. But FFS, if the line passes the eye test (for everyone who isn't a QB apologist/just doesn't want to draft a QB because they're weak), the advanced metrics say it's fine, then how isn't it?

At a certain point posters should substantiate their points or just admit it.

Simple Jaded
01-01-2019, 07:02 PM
The problem with this is that Paradis passes the eye test and the analytics test. Moreover, both Footballoutsiders and other sites have the Broncos line being decent. I know the line is decent because I pay attention to the game. As do others. But FFS, if the line passes the eye test (for everyone who isn't a QB apologist/just doesn't want to draft a QB because they're weak), the advanced metrics say it's fine, then how isn't it?

At a certain point posters should substantiate their points or just admit it.

But let’s be honest, playcalling and QB play can skew those grades, if your QB is a check down Charlie your grades are going to look better.

Simple Jaded
01-01-2019, 07:04 PM
Broncos should Franchise Paradis and trade him for Harbaugh instead of two #1’s.

Poet
01-01-2019, 07:07 PM
But let’s be honest, playcalling and QB play can skew those grades, if your QB is a check down Charlie your grades are going to look better.

Advanced stats often disregard that stupid QBR formula that sucks off game managers.

If sucks off efficiency far too much.

Simple Jaded
01-01-2019, 07:13 PM
Advanced stats often disregard that stupid QBR formula that sucks off game managers.

If sucks off efficiency far too much.

You can’t get beat as much if the OC schemes to protect you, look at the Indy OL ... From worst to first, that didn’t happen solely through hard work.

So do they take into account the difficulty of their assignments?

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2019, 07:15 PM
You can’t get beat as much if the OC schemes to protect you, look at the Indy OL ... From worst to first, that didn’t happen solely through hard work.

Healthy Luck, the stud OL I was hoping for last year and a gem 2nd round OL pick.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-01-2019, 07:18 PM
Broncos should Franchise Paradis and trade him for Harbaugh instead of two #1’s.

I can get on board with this.

Poet
01-01-2019, 07:21 PM

I think some do, yes.

They even make it harder on the line and put TEs and RBs blocking on the line. for both ****ups and blocks.

Right now Haskins is killing it btw.

A line means nothing without a QB. Go ask Joe Thomas, and the other two pro bowlers OL they had for year about it.

Simple Jaded
01-01-2019, 07:24 PM
I think some do, yes.

They even make it harder on the line and put TEs and RBs blocking on the line. for both ****ups and blocks.

A line means nothing without a QB. Go ask Joe Thomas, and the other two pro bowlers OL they had for year about it.

I want both, a QB and OL, that’s why I want 4 new OL starters.

Poet
01-01-2019, 07:25 PM
I want both, a QB and OL, that’s why I want 4 new OL starters.

The line is average.

It's not the main issue.

Simple Jaded
01-01-2019, 07:25 PM
Healthy Luck, the stud OL I was hoping for last year and a gem 2nd round OL pick.

And quicker/faster passing.

Btw, Nelson is legit, Kinger was wrong about him.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2019, 07:28 PM
I think some do, yes.

7-9 with Hoyer. 10-6 with Derek Anderson.

Just sayin...��

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2019, 07:29 PM
If we draft Haskins, 3 OL and a CB, I'd be giddy.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2019, 07:31 PM
And quicker/faster passing.

Btw, Nelson is legit, Kinger was wrong about him.

I LOVE Nelson. That said, I don't think 87 hated on his skills...just the importance of the position.

Simple Jaded
01-01-2019, 07:33 PM
I LOVE Nelson. That said, I don't think 87 hated on his skills...just the importance of the position.

And he was wrong about importance of position, he sure be ashamed.

Poet
01-01-2019, 07:36 PM
7-9 with Hoyer. 10-6 with Derek Anderson.

Just sayin...��

Exactly. It took two horribly easy schedules for them to flirt with .500 and have a winning record. I agree - that's how lucky you have to get.

Look at the teams in the playoffs. The worst QB in the bunch is a first rounder who ignited his team in Jackson.

Look at the games. In the AFC WC you have Luck (first rounder) vs. Watson, (first rounders) both elite talent.

Then you have Seattle vs. Dallas. Wilson is why Mayfield was a first rounder. Dak is...a solid QB.

Then it's L.A. vs. Ravens - just two first rounders there. One with a HoF resume. The other is one of the main reasons his team rebounded and got to the playoffs.

Eagles vs. Bears - Trubisky is a first rounder. Wentz would be starting if he wasn't hurt. He's a first rounder.

Don't worry - The top seeds don't have elite QB's who were first rounders. Mahomes, the best QB this year, was...a first rounder. Brady, arguably the goat, is the rare guy, just like Wilson, to be a god not drafted in the first round.

Now technically Brees was a second round pick, but he was the 32nd player taken...you see what I'm getting at. But don't worry, because Goff is also...a first rounder...

Not all of those guys, especially the veterans, had great lines their entire career.

I'm just saying bro.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2019, 07:40 PM
Exactly. It took two horribly easy schedules for them to flirt with .500 and have a winning record. I agree - that's how lucky you have to get.

Look at the teams in the playoffs. The worst QB in the bunch is a first rounder who ignited his team in Jackson.

Look at the games. In the AFC WC you have Luck (first rounder) vs. Watson, (first rounders) both elite talent.

Then you have Seattle vs. Dallas. Wilson is why Mayfield was a first rounder. Dak is...a solid QB.

Then it's L.A. vs. Ravens - just two first rounders there. One with a HoF resume. The other is one of the main reasons his team rebounded and got to the playoffs.

Eagles vs. Bears - Trubisky is a first rounder. Wentz would be starting if he wasn't hurt. He's a first rounder.

Don't worry - The top seeds don't have elite QB's who were first rounders. Mahomes, the best QB this year, was...a first rounder. Brady, arguably the goat, is the rare guy, just like Wilson, to be a god not drafted in the first round.

Now technically Brees was a second round pick, but he was the 32nd player taken...you see what I'm getting at. But don't worry, because Goff is also...a first rounder...

Not all of those guys, especially the veterans, had great lines their entire career.

I'm just saying bro.
Philly wouldn't be on the playoffs if Wentz was starting. Don't discredit Foles just because it doesn't fit your narrative. And if Philly didn't get in...another non 1st round QB would have. Just saying.

Nobody is saying QBs don't matter. Just that other parts do to.

And Cleveland has had about the same SOS for 15 years. IMO the worst mistake they made was letting Hoyer go. That dide made teams better wherever he went...aside from 1 rusty playoff performance. But hey...it was the playoffs and he wasn't a 1st round pick either

Poet
01-01-2019, 07:55 PM
Wentz had a solid season and got hurt. What's your basis for that statement? Just because Foles was the one on the field? Foles is also the guy who is up and down - that's why no one commits to him. I doubt anyone ever will unless a desperate team sends a bunch of picks for him. Then when they get fleeced it'll be rought.

The other parts matter, but not nearly as much. Building a team the way you're propsing means you're 8-8 or 9-7 and can never get a QB. It doesn't work. Baltimore tried it until they finally drafted a solid QB, Flacco. The Steelers tried it until they spent a first rounder on Big Ben. In both those seasons those teams had strong defenses but sucked and had to get a QB and bring them along.

The Eagles had a great roster and had to trade up to get their guy. Same thing for the Texans. Same thing for Goff and the Rams. Albiet those teams didnt' have great records.

So you either suck and take one, or you gamble even more when you trade up for one. Hoyer never even had a good season. He's the king of backups and spot starting duty.

Simple Jaded
01-01-2019, 08:08 PM
Wentz had a solid season and got hurt. What's your basis for that statement? Just because Foles was the one on the field? Foles is also the guy who is up and down - that's why no one commits to him. I doubt anyone ever will unless a desperate team sends a bunch of picks for him. Then when they get fleeced it'll be rought.

The other parts matter, but not nearly as much. Building a team the way you're propsing means you're 8-8 or 9-7 and can never get a QB. It doesn't work. Baltimore tried it until they finally drafted a solid QB, Flacco. The Steelers tried it until they spent a first rounder on Big Ben. In both those seasons those teams had strong defenses but sucked and had to get a QB and bring them along.

The Eagles had a great roster and had to trade up to get their guy. Same thing for the Texans. Same thing for Goff and the Rams. Albiet those teams didnt' have great records.

So you either suck and take one, or you gamble even more when you trade up for one. Hoyer never even had a good season. He's the king of backups and spot starting duty.
These teams did it backwards, they got lucky, I say get a QB before you have to trade up from 25th to 1st to get him.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2019, 08:09 PM

Hoyer was never given a real chance. Granted, injuries derailed him a bit but he played well in Cleveland and when Chicago gave him field time he was a clear upgrade. He ain't Manning, but he's always one I felt didn't get his full chance.

My argument has always been not to reach unless you are sure. You have your list of round 1 playoff QBs. Here is my list:
Winston
Mariotta
Stafford
Bortles

Rodgers
Newton
Roethlisberger
Manning
Ryan

Rosen
Allen
Mayfield

All 1st round QBs who aren't in the playoffs. Obviously they have varying levels of success and experience, but it kind of exposes your point's flaw.

My list has 12 names. Your list has 9 or 10 names. 2/3 of the NFL start 1st round QBS. Just because the common practice is to reach for QBs in round 1 does not mean it's a guarantee of success. The averages suggest otherwise. Over the past 15 years, the SBs have been won by a handful of QBs

Moral of the story...You BETTER be sure

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2019, 08:10 PM
And I am clearly saying Foles works better in Philly than Wentz. For whatever reason...he gets on the field and the team looks different. Probably because he doesnt just throw to Ertz.

Poet
01-01-2019, 08:10 PM
Why wasn't Hoyer given a chance? Regarding QBs, yeah you better be sure. And you better have the right guys to be sure. Elway eschewing the positions two years in a row because he doesn't think the guys are there probably tells you that he doesn't know what he's looking for.

BeefStew25
01-01-2019, 08:15 PM
King he’s pulling your pants down. Sir this one out.

Simple Jaded
01-01-2019, 08:15 PM
Hoyer didn’t get a chance because he’s a backup.

Simple Jaded
01-01-2019, 08:17 PM
Hoyer was never given a real chance. Granted, injuries derailed him a bit but he played well in Cleveland and when Chicago gave him field time he was a clear upgrade. He ain't Manning, but he's always one I felt didn't get his full chance.

My argument has always been not to reach unless you are sure. You have your list of round 1 playoff QBs. Here is my list:
Winston
Mariotta
Stafford
Bortles

Rodgers
Newton
Roethlisberger
Manning
Ryan

Rosen
Allen
Mayfield

All 1st round QBs who aren't in the playoffs. Obviously they have varying levels of success and experience, but it kind of exposes your point's flaw.

My list has 12 names. Your list has 9 or 10 names. 2/3 of the NFL start 1st round QBS. Just because the common practice is to reach for QBs in round 1 does not mean it's a guarantee of success. The averages suggest otherwise. Over the past 15 years, the SBs have been won by a handful of QBs

Moral of the story...You BETTER be sure

Are you arguing against drafting a 1st round QB because of who made the PO’s this season?

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2019, 08:21 PM
Why wasn't Hoyer given a chance? Regarding QBs, yeah you better be sure. And you better have the right guys to be sure. Elway eschewing the positions two years in a row because he doesn't think the guys are there probably tells you that he doesn't know what he's looking for.

Not sure why. I just know that when I watched him in Cleveland he had the worst franchise in sports looking like a solid team. He got hurt late and they fizzled. Then he goes to Chicago as a backup and clearly outplayed the starter. Again...not Manning but I believe sometimes MGs overthink things. They'd rather reach for the shiny new toy rather than give a chance to the reliable, stable, albeit limited option. Not Everyone can win a ring each year. I get that GMs need to upgrade constantly. I just think many don't value stability enough

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2019, 08:24 PM
Are you arguing against drafting a 1st round QB because of who made the PO’s this season?

Never argued against it...or for it. Read my history. I've always said a GM should get their guy. Just don't reach and/or pigeonhole your options to "must have round 1 qb". No 1st round QBs played in the SB last year. Aside from Manning, what round 1 QB has a ring in the past 4-5 years?

Poet
01-01-2019, 08:24 PM
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HoyeBr00.htm

He was okay in 2015.

i think it's really more teams knowing that a limited QB is limited.

Unless it's our GM looking at another backup QB...from Houston...that Kubiak also loved.

Simple Jaded
01-03-2019, 12:14 AM
Never argued against it...or for it. Read my history. I've always said a GM should get their guy. Just don't reach and/or pigeonhole your options to "must have round 1 qb". No 1st round QBs played in the SB last year. Aside from Manning, what round 1 QB has a ring in the past 4-5 years?

This sounds like something Gary Kubiak would say as he pounds the table for another Case Yates.

You know that’s not how the draft works, the idea is to get the best prospects and the 1st round is where you get the best QB prospects.

Only one team wins the SB each year, but that doesn’t mean there’s only one way to win a SB.

Poet
01-03-2019, 12:35 AM
This sounds like something Gary Kubiak would say as he pounds the table for another Case Yates.

You know that’s not how the draft works, the idea is to get the best prospects and the 1st round is where you get the best QB prospects.

Only one team wins the SB each year, but that doesn’t mean there’s only one way to win a SB.

Almost every QB in the playoffs is a first rounder. They want to point to Foles, but Foles' team doesn't make the playoffs without Wentz. The first rounder they, the Eagles, traded up to get.

Then they will point to Wilson, who is the reason why guys like Mayfield are getting first round looks (my god, GMs learn).

Or, here's another one - the further you go in the draft, the harder it is to hit on a QB. Anyone really want to bet on this team finding a guy in another round?

Valar Morghulis
01-03-2019, 03:46 AM

Our line improves in his absence

Poet
01-03-2019, 03:51 AM
Our line improves in his absence

You are a cheeky wee wanker with a punch of pish posh poppycock in this post!

Valar Morghulis
01-03-2019, 03:52 AM
You are a cheeky wee wanker with a punch of pish posh poppycock in this post!

LOL, nice use of the queen's english!

Poet
01-03-2019, 04:02 AM

Colour me red, white, and blue like a damned Yankee. Won't take the piss out of this post, damn numpties!

Hawgdriver
01-03-2019, 04:03 AM

God save the queen!

(HTTTGAP flashback)

Valar Morghulis
01-03-2019, 05:15 AM
God save the queen!

(HTTTGAP flashback)

and the fascist regime!

Hawgdriver
01-03-2019, 05:26 AM
Did you like Johnny Rotten at all? I liked him much more than the Sex Pistols.

For me, Siouxsie and the Damned are what I take out of punk. A lot more, of course, but in terms of epicenter type stuff.

Valar Morghulis
01-03-2019, 05:47 AM
Did you like Johnny Rotten at all? I liked him much more than the Sex Pistols.

For me, Siouxsie and the Damned are what I take out of punk. A lot more, of course, but in terms of epicenter type stuff.

I was a sid vicious kinda guy - i love the pistols, their music and what they stood for, but i think individually - they are all hideous people!

Shazam!
01-03-2019, 05:53 AM
Brett Rypien

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-03-2019, 08:45 AM
Brett Rypien

Have you seen 30-40 of his games? I know someone who has. He hopes we take him in the mid rounds and groom him to be a backup.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-03-2019, 05:38 PM
Almost every QB in the playoffs is a first rounder. They want to point to Foles, but Foles' team doesn't make the playoffs without Wentz. The first rounder they, the Eagles, traded up to get.

Then they will point to Wilson, who is the reason why guys like Mayfield are getting first round looks (my god, GMs learn).

Or, here's another one - the further you go in the draft, the harder it is to hit on a QB. Anyone really want to bet on this team finding a guy in another round?

That team had zero chance of playoffs this year WITH Wentz. I know you like to manipulate info and attempt to make excuses for every point which doesn't fit your narrative...but this is just making stuff up.

Can't count Brady...he's rare

Can't count Russell...HE alone is why other 1st rounders are selected.

Can't count Foles...Wentz had 3 of their wins in September.

Can't count Brees...early round 2 is the same as round 1.

You are friggin hilarious at times.

Poet
01-03-2019, 06:00 PM
That team had zero chance of playoffs this year WITH Wentz. I know you like to manipulate info and attempt to make excuses for every point which doesn't fit your narrative...but this is just making stuff up.

Can't count Brady...he's rare

Can't count Russell...HE alone is why other 1st rounders are selected.

Can't count Foles...Wentz had 3 of their wins in September.

Can't count Brees...early round 2 is the same as round 1.

You are friggin hilarious at times.

Sorry, but I do actual analysis. You've essentially called me a liar, which is bad form.

Can't count Brady because he's the head of a two decade dynasty.

Wilson is credited as why guys like Mayfield and Murray (if he does declare) would be first rounders. Sorry, I can't control what draft analysts say, but that's what I heard last year, same thing was said regarding Manziel.

Foles is a guy whose career is nothing but up and down. He was almost out of the league for a reason. No one traded for him for a reason. He was benched when Wentz was healthy for a reason. Wentz had a good season this year. Wentz was the guy who built the team's record and was a MVP candidate last year. You seem to have this incredibly high regard for a dude who the NFL treats as a backup.

Brees was the 32nd overall pick. How many picks are there in a round again? Moreover to cement that point, how many drafts have you read about a player where (tehy are a first round talent who slide because -depth at the position, off field issues etc) so clinging to him as an example of a second round pick is actually absurd.

Let's completely forget about how almost every single playoff QB this year is a first rounder. Or, let's forget about how the years when a first round QB doesn't win the SB, it's usually because Brady won it.

Smilinassassin - let's build us up that 8-8 football program baby! We can keep on getting spanked by teams who have worse rosters than us, but happen to have a real QB. Then, we can make it even harder on ourselves to trade up for a QB. Sorry. Hard pass.

The team needs an offensive head coach, preferably a young mind, and a blue chip QB talent.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-03-2019, 06:53 PM
Not a liar. You just make excuses for things that don't fit your point. You can't simply dismiss the outliers. They exist. Brees IS a round 2 pick. Foles DID take a struggling team to the playoffs. Brady ISN'T a 1st round pick. Nor Is Wilson. These are facts...even though you don't like them.

That said...for every 1st round QB in the playoffs this year, how many first round failures have come and gone over the years? How many are still in the league, yet unsuccessful?

So the debate is "must your QB be a first round pick"? Or is the debate, "Must we draft a QB, any QB, in round 1"?

Poet
01-03-2019, 07:09 PM
Not a liar. You just make excuses for things that don't fit your point. You can't simply dismiss the outliers. They exist. Brees IS a round 2 pick. Foles DID take a struggling team to the playoffs. Brady ISN'T a 1st round pick. Nor Is Wilson. These are facts...even though you don't like them.

That said...for every 1st round QB in the playoffs this year, how many first round failures have come and gone over the years? How many are still in the league, yet unsuccessful?

So the debate is "must your QB be a first round pick"? Or is the debate, "Must we draft a QB, any QB, in round 1"?

No, I don't make things up or excuses. I simply do analysis. And actual analysis goes deeper than cursory inspections. Moreover, the point I'm making is that sure, some of these guys that you can point to could have been found in other rounds. But they were found to be really good, and GMs make adjustments. Again, Wilson's size used to be a first round no-no, but we've seen smaler guys like Manziel, Baker, and now Murray being viewed as first rounders. So pointing to Wilson as an exception no longer really makes much of a point.

And plenty of first round QB's suck ass. Lord knows E.J. Manuel was doomed the second he was picked in the first round. Luckily for me I didn't say all first rounders pan out.

I'm not even dismissing the outliers. One, if they're outliers, they're not very useful, per definition of outlier. Secondly, Brees was a second round pick in name only - 32 teams in the league, top 32 pick, plus we know guys with first round talent don't go in the first round for a variety of reasons. Applying the reality of the sport is actual analysis. Cookie cutter analysis is going "technically a second round pick because one team (the niners) got penalized and lost a first rounder that year."

Cugel
01-03-2019, 07:49 PM
Let's completely forget about how almost every single playoff QB this year is a first rounder. Or, let's forget about how the years when a first round QB doesn't win the SB, it's usually because Brady won it.

Smilinassassin - let's build us up that 8-8 football program baby! We can keep on getting spanked by teams who have worse rosters than us, but happen to have a real QB. Then, we can make it even harder on ourselves to trade up for a QB. Sorry. Hard pass.

The team needs an offensive head coach, preferably a young mind, and a blue chip QB talent.

This is all true. The problem is when there are NO franchise QBs available in the draft, or when there is ONE and he gets drafted #1 overall, like Cam Newton, and then teams are left to battle each other over the refuse left overs - Jake Locker #8, Blaine Gabbert #10, Christian Ponder, #12. They got drafted in the top 15 because desperate teams will do desperate things.

That's how the Broncos wound up with Paxton Lynch, and even gave up a 3rd round pick to move up ahead of the Cowboys to make sure they got him. Because he COULD turn out to be good. Maybe!

The reality is that there are generally 1 or 2 obvious franchise QBs in most drafts - not this one - and everybody knows who they are. They generally go in the top 3 picks, often #1 overall.

Then there are the exceptions like Russell Wilson in the 3rd round. But, by definition nobody saw them as franchise starting QBs or they would have been drafted in the top 5, not the 3rd round.

So, outside of a crap shoot like drafting Wilson in the 3rd or maybe Dak Prescott in the 4th round, or a wild-ass lucky move like signing Kurt Warner and he turns out to be a HOF, you're screwed unless you get lucky.

For instance, in 2012, Andrew Luck was going nowhere but to the Colts. No chance they would trade that pick. They even let Peyton go to make room for Luck.

Next QB taken? The Dolphins reached for Ryan Tannehill at #8. Cleveland tapped Brandon Weeden at #20 - and Elway only decided not to draft Weeden himself because he was old entering the league, and they had signed Peyton, so they drafted Osweiler instead.

Could have had Russell Wilson, but nobody thought much of him, including the Seahawks or they wouldn't have waited till the 3rd round. They would have been afraid somebody else would grab him before they got to their 3rd round pick. They just got lucky.

Elway has been unlucky with Osweiler and Lynch. So, what he needs is a lucky break. Either someone unexpectedly turns out to be a great QB or else he waits until 2020 when the draft is supposed to be much better.

Poet
01-03-2019, 08:14 PM
Last draft there were said to be four. Then it was said there was none. Then it was there are two.

This draft it was said there weren't sans Herbert. Then Haskins showed up. Some think Murray is. Lock's main issue is correctable - it's mechanical in nature because he drifts off his back foot at times. His measureables will be great. The reality is that there will be two or maybe even three guys with legitimate first round grades on them.

turftoad
01-03-2019, 08:27 PM
Last draft there were said to be four. Then it was said there was none. Then it was there are two.

This draft it was said there weren't sans Herbert. Then Haskins showed up. Some think Murray is. Lock's main issue is correctable - it's mechanical in nature because he drifts off his back foot at times. His measureables will be great. The reality is that there will be two or maybe even three guys with legitimate first round grades on them.

Paxton Lynch had a legit first round grade on him! :shocked:

Poet
01-03-2019, 08:32 PM
Paxton Lynch had a legit first round grade on him! :shocked:

To some. Others had him as a second. The notion given to us was that there are no first round QBs in this draft worth taking. That's rarely the case. But yeah, if you fail, never try to draft a long term QB. Just sign FA QB's.

turftoad
01-03-2019, 08:45 PM
To some. Others had him as a second. The notion given to us was that there are no first round QBs in this draft worth taking. That's rarely the case. But yeah, if you fail, never try to draft a long term QB. Just sign FA QB's.

I think the thinking there is that it takes most QB's (even 1st rounders) a couple of years to get the hang of it and be able to compete at a high level.

Poet
01-03-2019, 08:58 PM
I think the thinking there is that it takes most QB's (even 1st rounders) a couple of years to get the hang of it and be able to compete at a high level.

We've been a bad team with an iffy roster for two years in a row. We should have been building up a rookie QB. This has been proven to be true, and my overarching point for two seasons now. Moreover, every year we don't get someone to develop we kick that can down the road.

Where would we potentially be had we acted last year? Surely closer to the goal.

UnderArmour
01-03-2019, 10:08 PM
I get the hunch it will be Daniel Jones. Lots of Peyton Manning connections, and that almost certainly will be a factor.

Cugel
01-03-2019, 10:09 PM

Of course they are going to draft a QB. But, you have to be lucky for him to turn out to be any good. Unless you are picking in the top 3 and there are a couple of good prospects.

"There are no quick fixes right now. This thing is going to take some time." Mark Schlereth.

The problem is that I'm no more patient than the rest of the fans. :tsk:

Northman
01-03-2019, 10:10 PM
I get the hunch it will be Daniel Jones. Lots of Peyton Manning connections, and that almost certainly will be a factor.

Im ok with that.

UnderArmour
01-03-2019, 10:36 PM
I still expect players to go where they are slotted and not as much reaching to go on for a franchise QB. There's no way, for instance, that Arizona is going to pass on the chance to take Nick Bosa or Josh Allen. Going into the offseason, the Giants, the Jags, the Broncos, and the Dolphins are the 4 teams I would expect to take a quarterback early. One of those teams will acquire Flacco in the offseason, probably not the Giants, presumably taking them off that list.

The Broncos would need to jump from 10 to 5 to guarantee their quarterback of choice, which is going to cost a 2nd round pick or future first and also run the risk that Jacksonville outbids us. 8 and 9 are both spots that the Dolphins, or potentially the Redskins could trade into ahead of pick 10 to take their QB. LUCKILY, there's other teams that covet other players that might trade up too and take a non QB. Broncos end up with Daniel Jones, Drew Lock, or Dwayne Haskins on draft day when it is all said and done. Question is whether they pay to jump to 5 or not.

turftoad
01-03-2019, 11:03 PM
We've been a bad team with an iffy roster for two years in a row. We should have been building up a rookie QB. This has been proven to be true, and my overarching point for two seasons now. Moreover, every year we don't get someone to develop we kick that can down the road.

Where would we potentially be had we acted last year? Surely closer to the goal.
I hope you understand. We ended the season with one, yes one, OL man that actually started on a suspect line to begin with at the beginning of the season. Right? A second year Bolles, who should really be a RT. We need a stud LT to build arond. Put Bolles at RT and we'd be good up there for years.
Would make a world of difference.

Poet
01-03-2019, 11:08 PM
I hope you understand. We ended the season with one, yes one, OL man that actually started on a suspect line to begin with at the beginning of the season. Right? A second year Bolles, who should really be a RT. We need a stud LT to build arond. Put Bolles at RT and we'd be good up there for years.
Would make a world of difference.

The line by all metrics was average. The line, via the eye test, was average. The line can get better, but it wasn't bad enough to use as an excuse for Keenum, or bad enough to snuff out a rookie's development.

turftoad
01-03-2019, 11:11 PM
The line by all metrics was average. The line, via the eye test, was average. The line can get better, but it wasn't bad enough to use as an excuse for Keenum, or bad enough to snuff out a rookie's development.

Matter of opinion my friend. The eye test wasn't that great. Penalty sand all.

Poet
01-03-2019, 11:13 PM
Matter of opinion my friend. The eye test wasn't that great. Penalty sand all.

Just keep drafting OL, beef up the team, and end up .500 with less of an ability to draft a QB. That sounds horrible. I'll take the metrics. The eye test showed an average offensive line. The Penalties sucked. Better than the QB getting killed. And Keenum did the line no favorts with his happy feet.

Simple Jaded
01-04-2019, 05:58 AM
Just keep drafting OL, beef up the team, and end up .500 with less of an ability to draft a QB. That sounds horrible. I'll take the metrics. The eye test showed an average offensive line. The Penalties sucked. Better than the QB getting killed. And Keenum did the line no favorts with his happy feet.

Keenum has made a habit of drifting BACK into the pocket, literally the opposite of what you’re supposed to do.

Jsteve01
01-04-2019, 12:53 PM

Keenum has made a habit of drifting BACK into the pocket, literally the opposite of what you’re supposed to do.

Ala trev

Jsteve01
01-04-2019, 12:55 PM
Im really starting to like Lock and i had zero love for him prior to this year. The maturity to come back when he may have been a firdt rounder last year speaks volumes. Accuracy was much better. And he worked more pro sets this year

Simple Jaded
01-04-2019, 05:39 PM
Trigga Trev.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-04-2019, 05:59 PM
Oh dear

NightTerror218
01-04-2019, 06:03 PM
This is considered a weak QB class. I rather not reach this season if we don't have too. If we are going to take on a project I think 2nd round could work. Unless any of the QBs slide to #10.

TXBRONC
01-04-2019, 06:05 PM
This is considered a weak QB class. I rather not reach this season if we don't have too. If we are going to take on a project I think 2nd round could work. Unless any of the QBs slide to #10.

The top quarterback could easily slide.

Northman
01-04-2019, 06:09 PM
Gimme Drew Lock please.

Poet
01-04-2019, 06:13 PM
Gimme Drew Lock please.

His stock is rising. A lot. And he was already thought of as a first rounder.

aberdien
01-04-2019, 06:38 PM
Based solely on the following highlight reels, give me Haskins all day over Lock. Most of Lock's highlights (according to that video) weren't in big games or against big opponents or under pressure or anything like that. Now, that could just be the fault of that particular highlight reel so this isn't a final determination or anything. Lock makes some good throws. But seeing Haskins making big time throws on the run, under pressure, in the pocket, when down in big games, in tight windows...that's our QB. Get it done Elway.

Lock

uMJKsb2r_0A

vs

Haskins

hVWNFFa3L-o

Poet
01-04-2019, 06:45 PM
I'm still hankering for Haskins. But, I also lust for Lock.

Dapper Dan
01-04-2019, 09:16 PM
Idk anymore, man. Some good college QBs are shit. Some shit QBs are decent pros.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-04-2019, 10:53 PM
There were questions about Goff’s game and Wentz’s. They both appear to be franchise quarterbacks. The only “sure thing” in recent memory is Winston, who has been anything gut a franchise quarterback.

Dapper Dan
01-04-2019, 10:56 PM
There were questions about Goff’s game and Wentz’s. They both appear to be franchise quarterbacks. The only “sure thing” in recent memory is Winston, who has been anything gut a franchise quarterback.

I think a lot of a young QBs success has to do with the system he goes to. As for Winston, the Bucs had one of the best offenses statistically. Their defense was shit.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-04-2019, 10:59 PM
I think a lot of a young QBs success has to do with the system he goes to. As for Winston, the Bucs had one of the best offenses statistically. Their defense was shit.

Winston was benched. He only played half the year. Fitz had more success this year than Winston did.
I don’t think Winston sucks, I’m just not convinced he’s a franchise quarterback, and I was on the bandwagon when he was drafted. I thought he was on his way to the HOF.

Dapper Dan
01-04-2019, 11:00 PM
Winston was benched. He only played half the year. Fitz had more success this year than Winston did.
I don’t think Winston sucks, I’m just not convinced he’s a franchise quarterback, and I was on the bandwagon when he was drafted. I thought he was on his way to the HOF.

Then Fitz was replaced again when the "Fitzmagic" was gone.

Northman
01-04-2019, 11:02 PM
Winston sucks. Middle of the pack QB at best.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-04-2019, 11:03 PM
Then Fitz was replaced again when the "Fitzmagic" was gone.
Indeed. But I wasn’t exactly endorsing Fitz now was I?
Settle down Dan, I don’t hate Winston.

Dapper Dan
01-04-2019, 11:04 PM
Indeed. But I wasn’t exactly endorsing Fitz now was I?
Settle down Dan, I don’t hate Winston.

I'm settled at the moment. Nearly drunk, tbh.

Dapper Dan
01-04-2019, 11:06 PM
Winston sucks. Middle of the pack QB at best.

I'd give my left nut for a middle of the pack QB.

Dapper Dan
01-04-2019, 11:08 PM
Based solely on the following highlight reels, give me Haskins all day over Lock. Most of Lock's highlights (according to that video) weren't in big games or against big opponents or under pressure or anything like that. Now, that could just be the fault of that particular highlight reel so this isn't a final determination or anything. Lock makes some good throws. But seeing Haskins making big time throws on the run, under pressure, in the pocket, when down in big games, in tight windows...that's our QB. Get it done Elway.

Lock

uMJKsb2r_0A

vs

Haskins

hVWNFFa3L-o

It's kinda Shane's job to post irrelevant highlight videos.

Northman
01-04-2019, 11:12 PM

We have one, his name is Case Keenum.

Poet
01-04-2019, 11:13 PM

Oh, North. He meant middle of the pack starter, not backup. Silly North! ;)

Dapper Dan
01-04-2019, 11:14 PM

Shiiiiiiit. Dude is bottom of the road. He was middle of the pack last year. His best season ever. He's no better than Dan LeFevour.

Poet
01-04-2019, 11:19 PM
hit him with LeVour.

Savagrey. Shit ******* ******* godk ing.

Northman
01-04-2019, 11:22 PM
hit him with LeVour.

Savagrey. Shit ******* ******* godk ing.

Not savage at all, what he meant to say was Akili Smith......

Dapper Dan
01-04-2019, 11:27 PM

Racist.

Poet
01-04-2019, 11:28 PM

Did you know he bombed out because he was mostly an alcoholic? then he found god...then he turned into a pimp, sold drugs...and turned his life around because of his time in the church of satan?

Shit's crazy, fam.

Dapper Dan
01-04-2019, 11:34 PM
Did you know he bombed out because he was mostly an alcoholic? then he found god...then he turned into a pimp, sold drugs...and turned his life around because of his time in the church of satan?

Shit's crazy, fam.

I bet it's a hard transition for poor athletes. From no money to millions. I'm terrible with money. I'd have all kinds of weird shit.

aberdien
01-05-2019, 12:26 AM
It's kinda Shane's job to post irrelevant highlight videos.

https://media.giphy.com/media/eqWoQIiWSSQOA/200.gif

Poet
01-05-2019, 12:34 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/eqWoQIiWSSQOA/200.gif

Pop Quiz - what is libel?

aberdien
01-05-2019, 12:40 AM
Pop Quiz - what is libel?

the thing that tells you how much sugar is in that Diet Coke

Poet
01-05-2019, 12:42 AM
the thing that tells you how much sugar is in that Diet Coke

I hate you.

aberdien
01-05-2019, 12:44 AM
I miss Ricky Williams.

BeefStew25
01-05-2019, 12:46 AM
I miss Ricky Williams.

I pulled cable for ESPN in college and talked to Ricky pregame one night. He was so down to earth. His body looked fake.

aberdien
01-05-2019, 12:47 AM
I pulled cable for ESPN in college and talked to Ricky pregame one night. He was so down to earth. His body looked fake.
Did you smoke a j with him?

BeefStew25
01-05-2019, 12:48 AM
Did you smoke a j with him?

No. I had ambition.

aberdien
01-05-2019, 12:58 AM
what a trip of a dude

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/08/08/ex-nfl-star-ricky-williams-gets-high-astrology/915539002/

VENICE, Calif. – Inside Mystic Journey, a store that offers psychic readings, crystal healing and yoga, Ricky Williams sat cross-legged atop a meditation pillow and engaged a dozen students during his astrology workshop called Astro-Logic one Sunday evening this summer.

“I think if we really want to change things, we have to connect to the inner Donald Trump inside of us and deal with that, ‘cause we all have a part of ourself that’s kind of obnoxious.’’

“Not that bad,’’ cracked one of the students.

Replied Williams, “See, I would disagree. The only reason he exists is we haven’t been paying attention to our own internal Donald Trump. So we had to have an external one to wake us up.

“This is the Scorpio and Pluto stuff, you’ve got to see the beauty in the (expletive). You don’t really see a thing until you see its beauty, OK? And I think if we can come to terms with whatever is bothering us outside of us, find out where that exists inside of us, that’s how we create change and a (astrology) chart can help you.

I am happy for his goofy ass.

**post not intended to spark a political discussion**

BeefStew25
01-05-2019, 12:59 AM
what a trip of a dude

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/08/08/ex-nfl-star-ricky-williams-gets-high-astrology/915539002/

I am happy for his goofy ass.

He kind of nailed that BTW

aberdien
01-05-2019, 01:00 AM
I have a friend who wanted to read my astrology chart for my birthday.

What a cheapskate.

Poet
01-05-2019, 01:05 AM

What a cheapskate.

:coffee:

BeefStew25
01-05-2019, 01:05 AM

What a cheapskate.

When’s your birthday

NightTrainLayne
01-05-2019, 01:22 AM
When’s your birthday

Good grief. What a passive way to ask for his sign.

Poet
01-05-2019, 01:23 AM
If we draft a first round QB, how does Falco react?

aberdien
01-05-2019, 01:30 AM
When’s your birthday

Happy birthday Capricorn.

http://www.kellystarsigns.com/star-signs/capricorn/

underrated29
01-05-2019, 01:34 AM
If we draft a first round QB, how does Falco react?

Who cares. Hell be a raider anyway. Or a jag.

Poet
01-05-2019, 01:37 AM
Who cares. Hell be a raider anyway. Or a jag.

The Raiders or Jags are drafting Falco?

Simple Jaded
01-05-2019, 05:26 AM
Happy birthday Capricorn.

http://www.kellystarsigns.com/star-signs/capricorn/

yCdfYkUPvTs

Simple Jaded
01-05-2019, 05:34 AM

Dan is a team player.

Simple Jaded
01-05-2019, 05:42 AM
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC_TZk1VH5YZ1lb5Tn3Y6kjw/videos

This dudes channel is pretty good, he’s kinda taken up the slack for Draft Breakdown folding, he doesn’t have tons of different players but he’s got Haskins, Jones and Lock. Every play, not just highlights.

Jsteve01
01-05-2019, 06:14 AM
Jaded who is your qb?

Simple Jaded
01-05-2019, 07:01 AM
Jaded who is your qb?
Jones, Lock then Haskins, but I’d more than happy with all three.

There’s a few others being mentioned, Grier, not a huge fan but it’s desperation time and they need to draft 4 QB’s over the next 2-3 drafts.

Simple Jaded
01-05-2019, 07:03 AM
The better mid-late round prospects are next year draft, so I think you go high this season. 2020 and 2021 will be interesting in the 1st round.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-05-2019, 12:07 PM

What a cheapskate.
This post grade is a C+:

Statement content A+
Lack of a gif F

Northman
01-05-2019, 12:39 PM

There’s a few others being mentioned, Grier, not a huge fan but it’s desperation time and they need to draft 4 QB’s over the next 2-3 drafts.

Ive heard that Finley is a student of the game but has an odd release (kind of like Rivers) and if he is one of those guys with great work ethics than im all on board with him as well.

Simple Jaded
01-05-2019, 07:24 PM
Ive heard that Finley is a student of the game but has an odd release (kind of like Rivers) and if he is one of those guys with great work ethics than im all on board with him as well.

He’s a ragarm, I like him though, seems like a Kubiak QB FWIW.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-05-2019, 08:24 PM
He’s a ragarm, I like him though, seems like a Kubiak QB FWIW.

He’s not a ragarm, but he doesn’t have a cannon.

Simple Jaded
01-05-2019, 09:54 PM
He’s not a ragarm, but he doesn’t have a cannon.

That’s probably fair.

Jsteve01
01-06-2019, 08:49 AM
The better mid-late round prospects are next year draft, so I think you go high this season. 2020 and 2021 will be interesting in the 1st round.

Feels like purgatory. 2 consecutive seasons of top 10 picks and no consensus top 10 qb this year....uggh. unless we tear it down and go all in on a 2020 stud i jst dont have a ton of hope

Simple Jaded
01-06-2019, 09:42 PM
Feels like purgatory. 2 consecutive seasons of top 10 picks and no consensus top 10 qb this year....uggh. unless we tear it down and go all in on a 2020 stud i jst dont have a ton of hope

The draft is 4 months away and there’s already 2 Top 10 QB’s, 3 pending Haskins decision.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-06-2019, 10:27 PM
Top 10 due to actual quality of player or top 10 due to desperation of teams wanting a new QB?

aberdien
01-06-2019, 11:09 PM
Haskins is the only quality high pick QB IMO. The others are just because there's no one else.

TXBRONC
01-06-2019, 11:12 PM
Top 10 due to actual quality of player or top 10 due to desperation of teams wanting a new QB?

It's probably not completely black and white.

Hawgdriver
01-06-2019, 11:14 PM
This post grade is a C+:

Statement content A+
Lack of a gif F

I see it as more of an 'Incomplete', perhaps an 'Incomplete Failing'.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-06-2019, 11:15 PM
It's probably not completely black and white.

If only...

Poet
01-07-2019, 12:28 AM
Haskins is the only quality high pick QB IMO. The others are just because there's no one else.

I read, once or twice, that Lock could have been a first rounder last year. In a round where five guys went in the first, that's not too bad. Locks' biggest issue are mechanics. That's not a horrible issue, either.

I think his floor is Tannehill. That's not too bad.

underrated29
01-07-2019, 12:39 AM
It's a deep year. Dont forget Jarrett. I bet there might be 5 in the first again this year.

Cugel
01-07-2019, 04:14 AM

No, they need to draft ONE really good QB, which they may not be able to do in 2019 but will be able to do in 2020. Till then they can draft a developmental QB, maybe in the 2nd round we'll see, and then trot Case Keenum out there again.

They kinda locked themselves into that box unless they are willing to dump Keenum's $10m cap hit and then sign another veteran QB for $20m. The veterans available however, are not $10m better than Keenum, and that's the problem.

If Keenum wasn't costing them anything to get rid of he'd be gone like Bears kicker Cody Parker.

Jsteve01
01-07-2019, 05:52 AM
Ooooooh Tyree Jackson declared....im in. Love that kid

NightTerror218
01-07-2019, 03:39 PM
Haskins has declared. My concern is that he is a system QB. I think Meyers is the reason all these Ohio QBs keep coming out. Cardale Jones came into NFL after 1 season as a starter. I am nervous about these QBs who jump ship after 1 season as starter and flame out. He had the best season of all college QBs, just call me pessimistic

SmilinAssasSin27
01-07-2019, 04:00 PM
Haskins is nothing like their prior QBs, all of whom were 1 read and run types. Haskins is a passer. The OC adjusted hi to him.

nevcraw
01-07-2019, 04:33 PM
Haskins has declared. My concern is that he is a system QB. I think Meyers is the reason all these Ohio QBs keep coming out. Cardale Jones came into NFL after 1 season as a starter. I am nervous about these QBs who jump ship after 1 season as starter and flame out. He had the best season of all college QBs, just call me pessimistic

He’s actually not a system QB unless you consider him as the system. They changed everything for him.

Poet
01-07-2019, 04:52 PM
#Hankering4Haskins

#elitetalent

#Giantsbetternottouchhim

#****

SmilinAssasSin27
01-07-2019, 04:55 PM
Please don't hashtag. TIA

Poet
01-07-2019, 04:57 PM
Please don't hashtag. TIA

You asked nicely, but I can't oblige. The 87th King hashtags.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-07-2019, 08:11 PM
Bored today so I went over the list of QB candidates. This is a very odd year IMO. Basically from what I see, there are 2 QBs I'd be OK with in round 1. Not feeling the Dukey. After that...I really don't like anyone until rounds 4+ (as far as current projections go...that are sure to change). I don't like Finley. The 2 that intrigue me are Stick and Shurmur. But I'm guessing NYG grabs Shurmur even if they do go QB early. So we either make sure we get the Buckeye or the Tiger. Or we wait. IMO anyways...

Jsteve01
01-07-2019, 09:44 PM
Bored today so I went over the list of QB candidates. This is a very odd year IMO. Basically from what I see, there are 2 QBs I'd be OK with in round 1. Not feeling the Dukey. After that...I really don't like anyone until rounds 4+ (as far as current projections go...that are sure to change). I don't like Finley. The 2 that intrigue me are Stick and Shurmur. But I'm guessing NYG grabs Shurmur even if they do go QB early. So we either make sure we get the Buckeye or the Tiger. Or we wait. IMO anyways...

Look at Tyree from Buffalo. Reminds me of culpepper

Simple Jaded
01-07-2019, 09:49 PM

Reminds me of PL.

Simple Jaded
01-07-2019, 09:50 PM
Stick is a slightly taller Keenum.

chazoe60
01-07-2019, 09:52 PM
Can we just draft Trevor Lawrence and it be like calling "dibs"? I don't care if we have to wait 3 years, that dude is special.

Jsteve01
01-07-2019, 09:53 PM

Reminds me of PL.

Oh stop. He is a beast

Simple Jaded
01-07-2019, 09:53 PM
No, they need to draft ONE really good QB, which they may not be able to do in 2019 but will be able to do in 2020. Till then they can draft a developmental QB, maybe in the 2nd round we'll see, and then trot Case Keenum out there again.

They kinda locked themselves into that box unless they are willing to dump Keenum's $10m cap hit and then sign another veteran QB for $20m. The veterans available however, are not $10m better than Keenum, and that's the problem.

If Keenum wasn't costing them anything to get rid of he'd be gone like Bears kicker Cody Parker.

They’ve literally got zero QB’s, teams usually carry at least 3, teams that don’t have shit should carry 4 ... three on the 53-Man and one on PS.

I’m done responding to your Keenum babble, he sucks, it’s pointless.

Jsteve01
01-07-2019, 09:56 PM

They’ve literally got zero QB’s, teams usually carry at least 3, teams that don’t have shit should carry 4 ... three on the 53-Man and one on PS.

I’m done responding to your Keenum babble, he sucks, it’s pointless.

He makes valid points. He's not saying the keenum doesn't suck. He's saying the keenum sucks but is there anybody that's worth the cap hit we're going to have to take to get rid of him?

Poet
01-07-2019, 10:02 PM
Can we just draft Trevor Lawrence and it be like calling "dibs"? I don't care if we have to wait 3 years, that dude is special.

He was in high school a year ago. Now he's styling against 'Bama.

Simple Jaded
01-07-2019, 10:03 PM
He makes valid points. He's not saying the keenum doesn't suck. He's saying the keenum sucks but is there anybody that's worth the cap hit we're going to have to take to get rid of him?

I understand what he’s saying, it’s pointless, Keenum should have absolutely zero impact on what the Broncos plan to do in any way/shape/form.

He’s a scrub, don’t compound the mistake of signing Keenum by letting that have any impact whatsoever.

**** the cap hit and **** Keenum period.

Fix this shit!

Simple Jaded
01-07-2019, 10:05 PM
“Case is our QB right now”

That’s the extent of his impact.

Poet
01-07-2019, 10:06 PM
I understand what he’s saying, it’s pointless, Keenum should have absolutely zero impact on what the Broncos plan to do in any way/shape/form.

He’s a scrub, don’t compound the mistake of signing Keenum by letting that have any impact whatsoever.

Fix this shit!

You can't fix the problem without fixing the problem. I understand this. It was a horrible contract - I told people the cap hit was seen as reasonable, and for a QB it is, but Keenum's never been a real starting QB. Average QB money is still massive.

Jsteve01
01-07-2019, 10:12 PM

Fix this shit!

You can't fix the problem without fixing the problem. I understand this. It was a horrible contract - I told people the cap hit was seen as reasonable, and for a QB it is, but Keenum's never been a real starting QB. Average QB money is still massive.

Lawrence over everybody. I would take that kid so fast he is the best college quarterback I've seen since Andrew Luck. And he's a freshman. And it's the same weird feeling that I had looking at luck and going how in the world is this guy so young and so good.

Poet
01-07-2019, 10:14 PM
Lawrence over everybody. I would take that kid so fast he is the best college quarterback I've seen since Andrew Luck. And he's a freshman. And it's the same weird feeling that I had looking at luck and going how in the world is this guy so young and so good.

I'm okay with Tanking. Tank for Lawrence.

chazoe60
01-07-2019, 10:29 PM
Lose for Lawrence

Poet
01-07-2019, 10:30 PM
Lose for Lawrence

I wish we had kept VJ around now. ****!

Nomad
01-07-2019, 10:31 PM
Lose for Lawrence

A little early for 2021.

chazoe60
01-07-2019, 11:00 PM

Okay I wanna call dibs on the freshman receiver too.

Poet
01-07-2019, 11:04 PM
The NFL's draft rule is stupid as ****, and the court decision upholding it was stupid as ****, too.

Jsteve01
01-07-2019, 11:10 PM
The NFL's draft rule is stupid as ****, and the court decision upholding it was stupid as ****, too.

Ridiculous to force kids to play for free. Horrid ruling

Poet
01-07-2019, 11:12 PM
Ridiculous to force kids to play for free. Horrid ruling

I read it in undergrad. The circuit that judge was in took a different approach than another circuit. Which is why, IIRC, there was a big ole fight over which court would hear it.

SCOTUS didn't take the case.

It's a ******* bummer.

Simple Jaded
01-07-2019, 11:38 PM
F
Oh stop. He is a beast

No, I like him, I like PL too.

BeefStew25
01-08-2019, 12:04 AM

I feel like 19 years olds would generally get killed.

Simple Jaded
01-08-2019, 12:15 AM
They should start by allowing underclassman players back into college if they go undrafted.

But yeah, the NFL is no place for a boy.

turftoad
01-08-2019, 12:17 AM
I feel like 19 years olds would generally get killed.

Thus the rule.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-08-2019, 12:18 AM
I'm sure there would be cases who could handle it, ala Herschel Walker IMO...but opening that door would set a lot of kids up for failure. Once they skip college and flame out, they don't even have the 3-4 years of free education to fall back on.

Simple Jaded
01-08-2019, 12:20 AM
I'm sure there would be cases who could handle it, ala Herschel Walker IMO...but opening that door would set a lot of kids up for failure. Once they skip college and flame out, they don't even have the 3-4 years of free education to fall back on.

Exactly, I’d love to see that changed.

Poet
01-08-2019, 12:47 AM

Kids already flame out and mismanage their money. If you don't have a degree, the three or less years means nothing. Gotta hope you're somewhat marketable, or can get a coaching job.

turftoad
01-08-2019, 12:49 AM
Kids already flame out and mismanage their money. If you don't have a degree, the three or less years means nothing. Gotta hope you're somewhat marketable, or can get a coaching job.

They can always go back to school.

Poet
01-08-2019, 12:51 AM

True. Very true. But I wonder how many athletes would pass once their eligibility runs out?

BeefStew25
01-08-2019, 12:53 AM
True. Very true. But I wonder how many athletes would pass once their eligibility runs out?

Not many. Most of these wouldn’t be in college if it wasn’t for football.

Poet
01-08-2019, 12:55 AM

On a somewhat tangential and somewhat related note - more tradeschools, please.

Simple Jaded
01-08-2019, 01:19 AM

Not on scholarship.

Jsteve01
01-08-2019, 04:06 AM

On a somewhat tangential and somewhat related note - more tradeschools, please.

Agreed. We suck as a culture at pointing kids to trades. The college is everything culture is wrought with fallacy and sends a horrible message to teens whose strengths may not lie in traditional academia.

MOtorboat
01-08-2019, 04:07 AM
https://twitter.com/bykevinclark/status/1082465162315976704?s=21

BeefStew25
01-08-2019, 09:10 AM
Not on scholarship.

They actually can.

Simple Jaded
01-08-2019, 12:47 PM
They actually can.

Athletic scholarship.

BeefStew25
01-08-2019, 12:56 PM
Athletic scholarship.

Same difference. No cost.

MOtorboat
01-08-2019, 01:00 PM
Same difference. No cost.

Is that an NCAA rule now? That the university must honor their academic goals if they lose their eligibility for turning pro?

BroncoJoe
01-08-2019, 01:05 PM
Is that an NCAA rule now? That the university must honor their academic goals if they lose their eligibility for turning pro?

So, only athletes get scholarships?

MOtorboat
01-08-2019, 01:06 PM
So, only athletes get scholarships?

No, but we are only talking about athletes.

BroncoJoe
01-08-2019, 01:11 PM
No, but we are only talking about athletes.

I think Beef is talking about any student getting a scholarship. If they leave, no - their athletic scholarship is gone (don't know that for sure, but seems reasonable). Doesn't mean they can't get an academic/other scholarship.