PDA

View Full Version : Let’s be brutally honest...

Simple Jaded
12-26-2018, 09:40 PM
Who in their right mind wants this job?

This came up on Sportstalk Radio today.

We all have favorites, grand ideas ... but weigh the Pros and Cons.

The Broncos are attractive to the two things we want the least, a retread or another low-upside unproven, and they might have to put the word “desperate” in front of retread/unproven.

Anyway, Happy Holidays.

MOtorboat
12-26-2018, 10:07 PM
Lincoln ******* Riley wants it. He just doesn't know it yet.

Davii
12-26-2018, 10:11 PM
There are only 32 of these jobs in the world and, on average, only 5 available per year. We're just as good a selling point as the others who will be available. With the possible exception of Green Bay.

The sky isn't falling Jaded Little

Poet
12-26-2018, 10:24 PM
I think it's still a desirable job. One, Denver should have decent amounts of cap room. Two, there is a legacy of success. Three, say what you want about Elway, but he doesn't stand still and remain idle.

But, the cons are the instability regarding ownership and how that might impact decisions from atop. Also, let's be honest, Elway probably is seen as hard to work with. It is what it is. The division we're in looks tough. Rivers isn't going to fall off a cliff regarding play, or literally, in the next two years. The Chiefs at minimum are a regular season machine with Mahomes.

The roster is in between a pro and a con. Personally, I think we have more issues with at than most people. But, there are some sharp people who disagree with that sentiment, and I can respect it.

We have the pass rush down pat, and presuming we keep Barrett, there's some depth. The defensive line could use a little work, but it's not a weakness. Harris looks especially promising, albeit he's a favorite of mine so I am a little biased. But, our ILBs are just bad. I don't want to hear anything about Jewell, he's not shown much promise this year. Marshall isn't good, either. And our secondary is just bad outside of Harris. Neither safety is a playmaker, nor are they really good at anything. The corners we have are all bad at the game of football. Scheme didn't help, but at a certain point you're either a pro, or you're not.

The offense is interesting. Sanders, with that injury, might never be the same. Sutton looks like he could be quite good. Hamilton and Patrick show promise. We have two legitimate running backs. The line will need some work as we're probably losing Veldheer at RT, and Paradis might leave (Jaded goes wild) which is another hole. But, there are worse lines in the NFL. We have no tight ends. We have one of the worst QB's in the game, being paid a chunk of money.

Truth be told, this is a roster that...could go either way. People are saying that we should have more wins, but I'm not sold on that. Yeah, we lost games to some really bad teams, but we also won two games that the opposition handed to us via Pitt and S.D. so at best it averaged out. I think more likely we got lucky in those two aforementioned wins, and those losses are more in line with our talent. Admittedly, we probably should have won one of them, because those lesser teams...also sucked.

UnderArmour
12-26-2018, 10:30 PM
Issue isn't finding a head coach. Issue is finding a quarterback. This team probably has the best top 2 outside pass rushers in the league, and Elway will hopefully bring back Shaq Barrett as the 3rd guy. This team has loads of young talent, and probably could have been a 10-11 win team with the right coaching staff.

Poet
12-26-2018, 10:32 PM
Issue isn't finding a head coach. Issue is finding a quarterback. This team probably has the best top 2 outside pass rushers in the league, and Elway will hopefully bring back Shaq Barrett as the 3rd guy. This team has loads of young talent, and probably could have been a 10-11 win team with the right coaching staff.

How many current staffs in the NFL do you think could achieve that?

Not looking to try to style on you, just curious.

Simple Jaded
12-26-2018, 10:32 PM

I’m in.

#GodWhatHaveIBecome?

Simple Jaded
12-26-2018, 10:34 PM
I think it's still a desirable job. One, Denver should have decent amounts of cap room. Two, there is a legacy of success. Three, say what you want about Elway, but he doesn't stand still and remain idle.

But, the cons are the instability regarding ownership and how that might impact decisions from atop. Also, let's be honest, Elway probably is seen as hard to work with. It is what it is. The division we're in looks tough. Rivers isn't going to fall off a cliff regarding play, or literally, in the next two years. The Chiefs at minimum are a regular season machine with Mahomes.

The roster is in between a pro and a con. Personally, I think we have more issues with at than most people. But, there are some sharp people who disagree with that sentiment, and I can respect it.

We have the pass rush down pat, and presuming we keep Barrett, there's some depth. The defensive line could use a little work, but it's not a weakness. Harris looks especially promising, albeit he's a favorite of mine so I am a little biased. But, our ILBs are just bad. I don't want to hear anything about Jewell, he's not shown much promise this year. Marshall isn't good, either. And our secondary is just bad outside of Harris. Neither safety is a playmaker, nor are they really good at anything. The corners we have are all bad at the game of football. Scheme didn't help, but at a certain point you're either a pro, or you're not.

The offense is interesting. Sanders, with that injury, might never be the same. Sutton looks like he could be quite good. Hamilton and Patrick show promise. We have two legitimate running backs. The line will need some work as we're probably losing Veldheer at RT, and Paradis might leave (Jaded goes wild) which is another hole. But, there are worse lines in the NFL. We have no tight ends. We have one of the worst QB's in the game, being paid a chunk of money.

Truth be told, this is a roster that...could go either way. People are saying that we should have more wins, but I'm not sold on that. Yeah, we lost games to some really bad teams, but we also won two games that the opposition handed to us via Pitt and S.D. so at best it averaged out. I think more likely we got lucky in those two aforementioned wins, and those losses are more in line with our talent. Admittedly, we probably should have won one of them, because those lesser teams...also sucked.

Before I commit the rest of 2018 to this post did you weigh Pros and Cons in here, KingCuJoel?

Simple Jaded
12-26-2018, 10:36 PM
There are only 32 of these jobs in the world and, on average, only 5 available per year. We're just as good a selling point as the others who will be available. With the possible exception of Green Bay.

You tell the sweetest lies.

Btw, I like that as a screen name.

Poet
12-26-2018, 10:38 PM
Before I commit the rest of 2018 to this post did you weigh Pros and Cons in here, KingCuJoel?

The way you're talking, it's like you don't love to live.

Simple Jaded
12-26-2018, 10:39 PM
The way you're talking, it's like you don't love to live.

I live to love and it’s breaking my heart.

Poet
12-26-2018, 10:40 PM
I live to love and it’s breaking my heart.

I told your mother to raise you so you didn't love QB's.

But she loved Elway, and the rest is history...history that I just ******* made up.

Davii
12-26-2018, 10:41 PM
You tell the sweetest lies.

Btw, I like that as a screen name.

It's a shitty screen name.

Simple Jaded
12-26-2018, 10:42 PM
I told your mother to raise you so you didn't love QB's.

But she loved Elway, and the rest is history...history that I just ******* made up.

You were close, she loved Morton. I was creepy.

Poet
12-26-2018, 10:42 PM

You've been in a shitty mood for awhile.

Yeah, you can kill me with ease, but I can still be worried about my friend.

)=

Poet
12-26-2018, 10:43 PM
You were close, she loved Morton. I was creepy.

Morton was a solid QB.

Simple Jaded
12-26-2018, 10:43 PM

You don’t mean that, that’s the depression talking.

Simple Jaded
12-26-2018, 10:44 PM
It’s almost over Davii.

Get into the draft with us, chicks dig geeks.

Poet
12-26-2018, 10:45 PM

My posts depress Davii.

I've failed him.

I've befriended Beef.

What the **** is this season?

Davii
12-26-2018, 10:46 PM

Jaded is a good screen name. Jaded Little is a bastardization of the original.

Simple Jaded
12-26-2018, 10:47 PM
My posts depress Davii.

I've failed him.

I've befriended Beef.

This season is a Kid Rock song, a Wayans brothers movie, rotten potatoes.

Davii
12-26-2018, 10:47 PM
My posts depress Davii.

I've failed him.

I've befriended Beef.

Certainly not depressed, just understanding more why TNed would take breaks from here.

Simple Jaded
12-26-2018, 10:48 PM
Jaded is a good screen name. Jaded Little is a bastardization of the original.

How bout Jaded AF?

Poet
12-26-2018, 10:49 PM
Certainly not depressed, just understanding more why TNed would take breaks from here.

Admin life a pain?

Simple Jaded
12-26-2018, 10:50 PM

Your vagina hurts?

Poet
12-26-2018, 10:51 PM
How bout Jaded AF?

You don't need a new name.

You need a new avatar!

Davii
12-26-2018, 10:52 PM
How bout Jaded AF?

Nah. I mean, who changes names anyway?

I mean, except King, Nut, Beef, etc...

Simple Jaded
You don't need a new name.

You need a new avatar!

Whaaaaaaat?

Davii
Whaaaaaaat?

Might I suggest a nice Bronco themed avatar?

Poet
12-26-2018, 10:53 PM
Whaaaaaaat?

I'm brutally honest. It was fire. Now it's played out.

UnderArmour
How many current staffs in the NFL do you think could achieve that?

Not looking to try to style on you, just curious.

Based on how poorly Vance Joseph managed the clock this year and managed his challenges, I'd say the majority of the league's coaching staffs in the NFL could have made this a 10-6 team.
NFC North: Green Bay, Minnesota, and Chicago yes. Detroit's? No.
NFC South: New Orleans, Carolina yes. Tampa Bay, Atlanta no.
NFC West: Rams, Seahawks, 49ers yes. Arizona no.
NFC East: Philadelphia, Washington yes. Cowboys, Giants no.

AFC North: All 4 yes. Hue Jackson could have figured out how to use the talent on offense.
AFC South: All 4 yes.
AFC West: Chiefs, Chargers yes.
AFC East: Patriots yes.

Poet

Or a Thanos one!

BTW, shoutout to UA. That's my dude.

Simple Jaded
12-26-2018, 10:55 PM
Nah. I mean, who changes names anyway?

I mean, except King, Nut, Beef, etc...

Name changing is kinda douchy. I was just thinking I need something a little more me ... like laid back, chill ... intellectual. Ya know? Smoove.

Davii
12-26-2018, 10:56 PM
Based on how poorly Vance Joseph managed the clock this year and managed his challenges, I'd say the majority of the league's coaching staffs in the NFL could have made this a 10-6 team.

AFC North: All 4 yes. Hue Jackson could have figured out how to use the talent on offense.

xKqfja7tJdQ

Simple Jaded
12-26-2018, 10:57 PM

That’s been done.

Simple Jaded
12-26-2018, 10:57 PM
I'm brutally honest. It was fire. Now it's played out.

Otter is my spirit animal, I’m very spiritual.

Poet
12-26-2018, 11:00 PM

NFC North - agreed.

NFC South - I thought Riverboat Ron struggled with clock management?

NFC West - Agreed.

NFC East - Agreed.

Agreed through the AFC sans Dolphins. Gase might not be great, but he's able to work the clock. I think Reid has senior moments regarding timeouts and challenges, too.

I appreciate this post.

Poet
12-26-2018, 11:00 PM
Otter is my spirit animal, I’m very spiritual.

Heart disease is my spirit animal.

UnderArmour
12-26-2018, 11:05 PM
NFC North - agreed.

NFC South - I thought Riverboat Ron struggled with clock management?

NFC West - Agreed.

NFC East - Agreed.

Agreed through the AFC sans Dolphins. Gase might not be great, but he's able to work the clock. I think Reid has senior moments regarding timeouts and challenges, too.

I appreciate this post.
I took offensive and defensive coaching into account too.
Riverboat Ron wouldn't let his team give up 200 yards to a TE in one half.
Gase might want to see if Joe Woods is available to coach his defense next year, because whoever his coordinator is royally sucked. If Gase keeps his job, he might actually want to hit up Joe Woods. Otherwise, I'd agree.

Simple Jaded
12-26-2018, 11:05 PM

I think Shurmur, Boles and Gase are far better HC’s than VJ.

Poet
12-26-2018, 11:06 PM
I took offensive and defensive coaching into account too.
Riverboat Ron wouldn't let his team give up 200 yards to a TE in one half.
Gase might want to see if Joe Woods is available to coach his defense next year, because whoever his coordinator is royally sucked. If Gase keeps his job, he might actually want to hit up Joe Woods. Otherwise, I'd agree.

Look at you, using that Northwestern brain!

Oh, you thought I forgot about you?

Nah. We will always have that summer regarding that sub-forum.

You're making me reconsider my position a bit.

Poet
12-26-2018, 11:48 PM
I’m in.

#GodWhatHaveIBecome?

Jaded, I think we would all be excited for him as our head coach. He's a leader of men, smart, can tweak his system, understands younger players, and values athleticism.

Ten years ago I would have been sad, too.

Right now, we get Lincoln...I'm going to start exercising and change my life.

dogfish
12-27-2018, 12:23 AM
the ownership situation doesn't help, for sure. . . i think we're fine, though. . . IF a guy like sean payton or pete carroll hit the market, i do agree that we might not be high on their list. . . there's no guy like that on the market this year-- all available candidates will be B-listers, at best. . . this job will still hold plenty of appeal for coaches on that tier. . . people can forget pipe dreams about jim harbaugh and bill cowher-- i think basically everyone else is still in play. . .

i'm vastly more concerned with our ability to CHOOSE the right coach than i am with our ability to land said coach. . .

BeefStew25
12-27-2018, 12:25 AM
the ownership situation doesn't help, for sure. . . i think we're fine, though. . . IF a guy like sean payton or pete carroll hit the market, i do agree that we might not be high on their list. . . there's no guy like that on the market this year-- all available candidates will be B-listers, at best. . . this job will still hold plenty of appeal for coaches on that tier. . . people can forget pipe dreams about jim harbaugh and bill cowher-- i think basically everyone else is still in play. . .

i'm vastly more concerned with our ability to CHOOSE the right coach than i am with our ability to land said coach. . .

Why would Arians only come back for the Browns job? Because it’s ready made for success.

Simple Jaded
12-27-2018, 12:33 AM
Jaded, I think we would all be excited for him as our head coach. He's a leader of men, smart, can tweak his system, understands younger players, and values athleticism.

Ten years ago I would have been sad, too.

Right now, we get Lincoln...I'm going to start exercising and change my life.

Ok, I’ll even cut back on the bacon in solidarity but please don’t ever mention “Leader of Men” again.

Simple Jaded
12-27-2018, 12:34 AM
Sign Lincoln Riley and draft Cody Ford, boom bitches!

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/11/2019-nfl-draft-play-profile-cody-ford/

If I’m understanding this right the Broncos use vertical sets and the Chefs use 45 sets, nobody gives Von Miller more work than the Chefs. This guy does both, can play G too.

Poet
12-27-2018, 12:39 AM
Sign Lincoln Riley and draft Cody Ford, boom bitches!

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/11/2019-nfl-draft-play-profile-cody-ford/

If I’m understanding this right the Broncos use vertical sets and the Chefs use 45 sets, nobody gives Von Miller more work than the Chefs.

A highly ranked offensive lineman at a premium position?

Sign me up.

Simple Jaded
12-27-2018, 12:48 AM
A highly ranked offensive lineman at a premium position?

Sign me up.
And he can play Guard, I know how that excites you.

Poet
12-27-2018, 12:51 AM
And he can play Guard, I know how that excites you.

Nomad is about to take his pants off right now.

Guard matters.

Just not at a premium pick.

Davii
12-27-2018, 12:54 AM
Nomad is about to take his pants off right now.

Guard matters.

Just not at a premium pick.

#AllLinesMatter

Poet
12-27-2018, 12:55 AM
#AllLinesMatter

#noblockingnopeace

MOtorboat
12-27-2018, 12:56 AM
#noblockingnopeace

#noquarterbacknocry

BeefStew25
12-27-2018, 12:56 AM
#guardstoo

dogfish
12-27-2018, 02:22 AM
#noquarterbacknocry

#MOMarley
#ReggaeOfTheCorn

dogfish
12-27-2018, 02:25 AM
Why would Arians only come back for the Browns job? Because it’s ready made for success.

the most well-established guys are going to want a QB, no question. . . IMO, arians is an A-list guy. . . with VJ still on the payroll for another two years, plus the uncertainty in ownership, i don't think those guys were ever going to be in the cards for us this time. . . another sweet draft or two will fix the bulk of our issues. . .

Nomad
12-27-2018, 03:51 PM

He came out today with no interest in the NFL. I'm sure Chris Peterson will say the same.

Ground Control
12-29-2018, 10:29 PM

But within that elite microcosm of business opportunities, there is an even more finite number of qualified and tenable coaches available. And these jobs change hand every year or three. Your point is only valid when considered by ACs or lower. Or, HCs that are just happy to have a job...like Siemian when he speaks of being ecstatic to be the backup to a 'less-than' QB like Cousins. So, again to ask the question posed by Jaded in a different way, why would any elite coach that has the world open to them this year or any year they choose to wait, choose Denver? The city and football history is a huge selling point buuuuuuut.....

Elway is not. He has done great things as a GM (and horrible things), surprisingly on defense more than offense, in Denver. He made one power move that eventually brought us a SB win. He has shown no ability to make any more power moves and his management is lacking. Draft record is good and bad. Last year was awesome but any coach that comes in is either a clown that has no power, or has a massive power battle with a guy that isn't a coach and has a recent history of creating a serious failure of a professional football team. Said failures being very much directly more attached to his choices, rather than any coach or player he has recruited. Said potential coach has to take over a team currently built to fail because of Elway...and accept a proven failure's choice for a franchise QB, whenever that happens.

No, good sir, Denver does not have an equal chance in wooing an elite coach as any other of the 5 or so places that are trying to seduce them on any given year. There are facts involved. And reality. I do agree with you that the sky isn't falling but true fans have years to endure before true progress happens. And that is only if Elway removes his head from his ass and chooses the right QB/ coach in the next 2 years. All assuming that said head-out-of-ass Elway can convince any sane ELITE coach that he has a headless ass and is not some dude that only convinced an old QB that remembers him to come aboard and has had no luck with anyone born in the last century, or was just happy to be chosen by a guy that has shown only non-skill in choosing staff. There is no free agent QB that will listen to Elway with any more reverence than his corporate position dictates. There is no college QB that will listen to Elway with any more relevance than his corporate position requires. So, what we're left with is a GM that is equal parts success and failure, plus *******, as is quoted by most ELITE talents that have to deal with him in negotiations, he's a serious *******.

None of that even takes into account the Bowlen/ ownership chaos. Not a big deal for any AC, or Joseph-esque clown that wants to be an Elwayphile. But a HUGE deal for a REAL coach that has his choice of programs to choose from.

Not saying Elway has to go. Just saying you're wrong in saying that Denver is an equal competitor with any other city in wooing valuable coaching talent. We have an uphill battle that is solely in the hands of Elway. For better or for worse.

Cugel
12-30-2018, 04:25 PM
Bottom line: Denver's job is not the most best one available, but it's not horrible either.

The worst problem is that the Broncos don't have a QB and no prospect of getting one. Whoever comes here has to accept that he's going to have to sign someone and draft someone and develop him.

It's not easy, but it's also a good opportunity. As for Elway being large and in charge that is not different than most other franchises where the GM hires the coach, and the owner hires the GM.

The Bowlen trust uncertainty is not helping of course, because it points to fundamental instability of the organization. But, this is a long term problem, not short term and NFL coaches are seldom looking past 2 seasons at the most - next year and to an extent the year after that.

This is because coaches get judged in 2 year increments. You don't want to fire your coach after 1 bad season because that might be an aberration. Sometimes things just go bad for a year. Two years of crap is a trend however, and a coach who establishes that trend is greasing the skids for his own removal.

So, we're really back to #1: The QB. As a coach I wouldn't come here unless I were desperate for a job, unless I was convinced Elway had a realistic plan to find me a QB. Because I would not want to stake my future on Case Keenum as my starter.

Not if my job were on the line. So, it's a tough sell.

BeefStew25
12-30-2018, 11:29 PM
Aspies