PDA

View Full Version : So, it will be between Saquon Barkley and Philip Lindsay

Broncoknight30
11-29-2018, 07:55 PM
https://youtu.be/UTc4JmvW_fY

Lindsay is currently 49 yards behind Barkley. If Lindsay stays healthy, I like his chances.

Bengals have the worst defense in the league.
49ers
Raiders

All on the schedule. Of course going against the NY media hype....

Right now the ROY is between those two. As far as I can see.

Dapper Dan
11-29-2018, 08:27 PM
Kubes is still the RB whisperer. I'm happy about that.

Timmy!
11-30-2018, 01:37 AM

Lindsay is currently 49 yards behind Barkley. If Lindsay stays healthy, I like his chances.

49ers
Raiders

Baker Mayfield and QB bias would like a word.

Bronco4ever
11-30-2018, 02:18 AM
Media hype doesn't have a lot to do with Barkley getting the recognition he deserves. Even though Lindsay has been awesome for us, Barkley has been even better. Consider the rushing stats a wash (still in Barkley's favor), Barkley has caught 71 passes for nearly 600 yards and 4 TD's. Lindsay has been underutilized in the passing game, and his numbers are well behind Barkley ther (24 catches, 187 yards, and 1 TD).

As good as Lindsay has been, he'd have to have a pretty incredible 5 game stretch to catch up to Barkley's numbers.

Rick
11-30-2018, 11:01 AM
Our under usage of Lindsay in the passing game should be a crime.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-30-2018, 11:21 AM

You could remove “Lindsay in” and it still applies. The fact is we just don’t throw the ball much. It’s a good thing we’re good at running the ball.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-30-2018, 11:34 AM
Back on April 26, the New York Giants raised eyebrows around the NFL by doing something that no team had done since 2006: They drafted a running back second overall (Saquon Barkley).

Barkley is still garnering attention months later, only now it happens every time he peels off a long run or takes a reception to the house. Barkley has already piled up over 1,400 yards from scrimmage and scored 12 touchdowns. He's averaging a robust 4.8 yards per carry.

By every indication, he's the real deal.

However, just over 1,700 miles to the west, another hard-charging first-year runner is also making a name for himself. And as Phillip Lindsay of the Denver Broncos closes in on 1,000 yards from scrimmage and a piece of NFL history, he's proving once again that for NFL teams, draft-day patience can be the greatest virtue of all in the backfield.

rest - https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2808433-phillip-lindsay-is-proving-again-that-nfl-teams-can-wait-on-rbs-on-draft-day

Rick
11-30-2018, 11:48 AM
You could remove “Lindsay in” and it still applies. The fact is we just don’t throw the ball much. It’s a good thing we’re good at running the ball.

I don't even know that we HAVE to pass more, just run more formations where he is part of the passing scheme.

Do some no huddle 2 TE two WR single back formations where you let him carry, send him on some screens, have him run routes, line him up in multiple positions, give him the damn ball!

underrated29
11-30-2018, 01:19 PM
I don't even know that we HAVE to pass more, just run more formations where he is part of the passing scheme.

Do some no huddle 2 TE two WR single back formations where you let him carry, send him on some screens, have him run routes, line him up in multiple positions, give him the damn ball!

The 2 TE formation is my favorite right now. It is king in the NFL. I am surprised it is not run all the time. With the way offenses play and the the rules. I would run almost exclusively the 12 formation. We would be so good with it....(if we had 2 te that are healthy and a QB)

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-30-2018, 01:56 PM

That sounds good, but he’s already getting 20 touches a game between carries and catches. I think that is the max of what he should be getting. He’s only 190 and Barkley is 235.

There’s a reason Sproles has been effective for so long. I’m sure some of the Saints fans often screamed for him to get more touches, but Sean made the right decisions.

GEM
11-30-2018, 02:10 PM
The difference there....it was expected of Barkley, Lindsay wasn't even drafted. Makes what he's doing a million times more impressive!

GEM
11-30-2018, 02:11 PM
Media hype doesn't have a lot to do with Barkley getting the recognition he deserves. Even though Lindsay has been awesome for us, Barkley has been even better. Consider the rushing stats a wash (still in Barkley's favor), Barkley has caught 71 passes for nearly 600 yards and 4 TD's. Lindsay has been underutilized in the passing game, and his numbers are well behind Barkley ther (24 catches, 187 yards, and 1 TD).

As good as Lindsay has been, he'd have to have a pretty incredible 5 game stretch to catch up to Barkley's numbers.

49 yrds is hard to catch up to? Really? If the Broncos gave him a few more carries, he could do that easily. Lindsay has done more with less touches.

Northman
11-30-2018, 03:24 PM
Meh, Barkley also doesnt have Case Keenum playing with him. Eli may not be a HOF but he is better than Keenum by miles. However, the mere fact that Lindsey is even in the discussion vs Barkely is a testament to just how good Lindsey really is and it would be a hell of a story for him to beat out Barkley.

Broncoknight30
11-30-2018, 03:33 PM
Meh, Barkley also doesnt have Case Keenum playing with him. Eli may not be a HOF but he is better than Keenum by miles. However, the mere fact that Lindsey is even in the discussion vs Barkely is a testament to just how good Lindsey really is and it would be a hell of a story for him to beat out Barkley.

Would you just....shut up....for a week about Keenum?

Thanks

Freyaka
11-30-2018, 03:34 PM

49ers
Raiders

Barkley has a lot of receiving yards though. The total yards is where the gap widens.

GEM
11-30-2018, 03:35 PM
Not knowing names, which would you rather have?

171 attempts, 829 yards, 4.8 yds/carry
135 attempts, 780 yards, 5.8 yds/carry

Northman
11-30-2018, 03:35 PM

Thanks

Uh no, you dont like it put me on ignore. Quit being a little bitch.

Thanks

GEM
11-30-2018, 03:38 PM
Barkley has a lot of receiving yards though. The total yards is where the gap widens.

The Broncos don't use him in that manner. Apples to oranges.

GEM
11-30-2018, 03:38 PM

Thanks

It's a message board, no one needs to shut up at all. How about ignoring it if you don't want to talk about it.

underrated29
11-30-2018, 04:00 PM

Can you add passing stats in there too, porfavor?

GEM
11-30-2018, 04:23 PM
Can you add passing stats in there too, porfavor?

As I already covered, the Broncos don't use him in that manner, but here you go.

171 att, 829 yards, 4.8 yds/carry, 87 targets, 71 catches, 581 yards, 8.2 avg
135 att, 780 yards, 5.8 yds/carry, 31 targets, 21 catches, 187 yards, 7.8 avg

Freyaka
11-30-2018, 04:28 PM

I don't need to know names to know the bottom one is Lindsay. I agree, but you are leaving out some important stats.

8 Rushing TD 581 receiving yards 8.2 yds/catch 4 receiving TD
6 Rushing TD 187 receiving yards 7.8 yds/catch 1 receiving TD

It's a close race to be sure, but you can't leave off Barkley's impact in the passing game, if you do, it skews things towards Lindsay.

*edit* I see you added them later.

underrated29
11-30-2018, 04:29 PM
As I already covered, the Broncos don't use him in that manner, but here you go.

Thanks.
I would go with 1. It is close. It does not matter how much one team uses a player vs another. Barkley is the better RB. I would not however trade Philip for Barkley at the cost of 1st rd pick and salary, our boy wins. Plus, I love his attitude!!!!! He always pops up and runs his mouth! Dude is a gamer. Straight ballin all the time.

Freyaka
11-30-2018, 04:29 PM
And I will make a frucking message too for that matter you piece of shit.

Go fruck yourselves.

Bye dude, I await your name in the ban/suspension list update. This is basically the most idiotic post I've ever seen on this message board... like who talks to a mod like that :D

GEM
11-30-2018, 04:30 PM
I don't need to know names to know the bottom one is Lindsay. I agree, but you are leaving out some important stats.

8 Rushing TD 581 receiving yards 8.2 yds/catch 4 receiving TD
6 Rushing TD 187 receiving yards 7.8 yds/catch 1 receiving TD

It's a close race to be sure, but you can't leave off Barkley's impact in the passing game, if you do, it skews things towards Lindsay.

The thing that skews things to Lindsay is he was undrafted and wasn't expected to even make a team. :shrugs: Way lower cost for pretty similar stats.

GEM
11-30-2018, 04:30 PM
Thanks.
I would go with 1. It is close. It does not matter how much one team uses a player vs another. Barkley is the better RB. I would not however trade Philip for Barkley at the cost of 1st rd pick and salary, our boy wins. Plus, I love his attitude!!!!! He always pops up and runs his mouth! Dude is a gamer. Straight ballin all the time.

I'll take Chubb and Lindsay for the win. :D

Freyaka
11-30-2018, 04:31 PM

I mean, it doesn't matter if he's used that way. It's still a contributing factor to the team. One adds that contribution and that has to be considered when determining which one had the better season.

Freyaka
11-30-2018, 04:31 PM
I'll take Chubb and Lindsay for the win. :D

I hope it comes down to Lindsay, but it's a popularity contest and it doesn't always roll that way when one is a Giant and one is a Bronco sadly.

underrated29
11-30-2018, 04:34 PM
I mean, it doesn't matter if he's used that way. It's still a contributing factor to the team. One adds that contribution and that has to be considered when determining which one had the better season.

Do you mean that, Frey?

I hope it comes down to Lindsay, but it's a popularity contest and it doesn't always roll that way when one is a Giant and one is a Bronco sadly.

You are correct. As much as we want it to be him. He has little chance. I think saquon or as Timmy! said, Baker. But man that would be cool. Still, it is not going to happen. Too much bias. Too much against us and him. And As you said, the whole market thing too.

GEM
11-30-2018, 04:36 PM
Do you mean that, Frey?

You are correct. As much as we want it to be him. He has little chance. I think saquon or as Timmy! said, Baker. But man that would be cool. Still, it is not going to happen. Too much bias. Too much against us and him. And As you said, the whole market thing too.

He can't even get rookie of the week. Not surprising. Bunch of schmucks. :lol:

DenBronx
11-30-2018, 09:39 PM
If Baker Mayfield plays well down the stretch they will give it to him. Why? Because he’s the media darling and will single handily get credit for resurrecting the Browns organization.

Not fair to Lindsay or Barkley but everyone knows it’s true.

Simple Jaded
11-30-2018, 09:48 PM
Lindsay is nowhere near Barkley, in talent or this race.

Bronco4ever
11-30-2018, 09:49 PM
49 yrds is hard to catch up to? Really? If the Broncos gave him a few more carries, he could do that easily. Lindsay has done more with less touches.

He’s also 400 yards receiving and 5 total TD’s behind Barkley. That’s quite a bit.

Simple Jaded
11-30-2018, 09:51 PM

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

Simple Jaded
11-30-2018, 09:56 PM
Thanks.
I’d trade a first round pick and half this team for Barkley.

Simple Jaded
11-30-2018, 09:59 PM
Bye dude, I await your name in the ban/suspension list update. This is basically the most idiotic post I've ever seen on this message board... like who talks to a mod like that :D

Why do I miss all the fun shit?

Bring that guy back in here and throw down, GEM, do it.

Shazam!
11-30-2018, 10:15 PM
Imagine if Lindsay got the ball as much as he should've had his nhmbers would be crazy

dogfish
12-01-2018, 12:45 AM

why?

lol @ the angry child finally getting banned. . .

Simple Jaded
12-01-2018, 01:06 AM
why?

First of all, because he’s an elite talent worthy of a 1st round pick.

Second of all, I’d trade half this roster for a 12-pack and large pizza.

Hawgdriver
12-01-2018, 03:16 AM

How was he used at CU as a receiver? If he's remotely decent at catching the ball, you need to run your entire offense through him. It's obvious by now to us, it should have been obvious to the coaching staff from day 1.

MOtorboat
12-01-2018, 04:31 AM
How was he used at CU as a receiver? If he's remotely decent at catching the ball, you need to run your entire offense through him. It's obvious by now to us, it should have been obvious to the coaching staff from day 1.

Over his four years he had 1,000 yards receiving. Lots of screens and dump offs, yes, but it’s inexcusable why Booker is in the game on third down.

Yes, yes, blocking and all that nonsense. You know how you negate that blocking problem that is supposededly hindering the pass game? Creativity. And without Lindsay on the field, that’s impossible. They’ve tried to get creative with Sanders, but he’s your No. 1 receiver at this point, so it has to be someone else. Lindsay is the next guy up for that role.

Simple Jaded
12-01-2018, 08:00 PM
Lindsay is the best receiver out of the backfield and it’s not even close.

Freyaka
12-01-2018, 09:31 PM
why?

I'm legit shocked it took this long. He had a bad habbit of flying off the handle on people.

Northman
12-02-2018, 09:47 AM
I'm legit shocked it took this long. He had a bad habbit of flying off the handle on people.

He is probably just another poster who had a different username who got banned before but managed to maneuver his way back onto the board. Generally those types of guys always end up reverting back to their bad ways and get banned again. But you do have to be a certain kind of stupid to start insulting a mod directly.

slim
12-02-2018, 05:53 PM
I am becoming a believer

iLands
12-02-2018, 05:57 PM

Imagine if it was obvious to the coaching staff but they’re monitoring his touches for the post-season.

MOtorboat
12-02-2018, 06:11 PM
Imagine if it was obvious to the coaching staff but they’re monitoring his touches for the post-season.

Then they are idiots.

iLands
12-02-2018, 06:16 PM
Then they are idiots.

Both of these statements can be true.

MOtorboat
12-02-2018, 06:26 PM
Both of these statements can be true.

They can. They shouldn’t be thinking at all about the playoffs. I understand wanting to limit touches to an extent, but he’s the path TO the playoffs at this point.

iLands
12-02-2018, 06:34 PM
If Phil continues the season he’s having, he goes from UDFA to captain in one year.

MOtorboat
12-02-2018, 06:36 PM
If Phil continues the season he’s having, he goes from UDFA to captain in one year.

You don’t think he’s already there? Best offensive player on the team.

iLands
12-02-2018, 06:38 PM
You don’t think he’s already there? Best offensive player on the team.

I don’t think anyone disputes that after this game. We just need to keep letting him do it.

Poet
12-02-2018, 07:27 PM
I'm about to get bold in this bitch.

DenBronx
12-02-2018, 11:19 PM

U’ll du nutin

Davii
12-02-2018, 11:20 PM

Get bold King, get bold young man!

Freyaka
12-03-2018, 12:21 AM

Traveler
12-03-2018, 08:43 AM
As well as Lindsay has played, he isn't the duel threat Barkley has been thusfar. If this trend continues, Barkley is OROY hands down.

Tned
12-03-2018, 09:04 AM
As well as Lindsay has played, he isn't the duel threat Barkley has been thusfar. If this trend continues, Barkley is OROY hands down.

What was interesting was that during the broadcast Sunday they said when working Lindsey out (I think they were referring to pro day and not after he was signed), the Broncos said he was better than any of the receivers at catching the ball and really expected him to be drafted/used as a slot receiver. Something like that.

I've been really surprised at how the Broncos haven't used him in third down, and also how often in recent games they've brought Freeman in and then motioned him outside to line up wide, rather than doing the same with Lindsey.

Traveler
12-03-2018, 09:25 AM
What was interesting was that during the broadcast Sunday they said when working Lindsey out (I think they were referring to pro day and not after he was signed), the Broncos said he was better than any of the receivers at catching the ball and really expected him to be drafted/used as a slot receiver. Something like that.

I've been really surprised at how the Broncos haven't used him in third down, and also how often in recent games they've brought Freeman in and then motioned him outside to line up wide, rather than doing the same with Lindsey.

This coaching staff has no creativity IMO. They are making players fit the scheme instead of the other way around. This offense has talent, but the scheme does fit their strengths. I'm still on the replace VJ or at least Musgrave at the end of the season bandwagon. Get someone in here as the OC that can blend the talent DEN has at WR and RB.

While I despise this RBBC crap, I don't believe Lindsay should be used more than he already is as a runner. You are correct when you say they should get him more involved in the passing game.

Freyaka
12-03-2018, 10:06 AM
This coaching staff has no creativity IMO. They are making players fit the scheme instead of the other way around. This offense has talent, but the scheme does fit their strengths. I'm still on the replace VJ or at least Musgrave at the end of the season bandwagon. Get someone in here as the OC that can blend the talent DEN has at WR and RB.

While I despise this RBBC crap, I don't believe Lindsay should be used more than he already is as a runner. You are correct when you say they should get him more involved in the passing game.

The more this season goes on, the more I feel it's a combo of Musgrave/Woods that are our biggest issues. I think VJ is growing and would be ok with a better more creative offensive playcaller.

Tned
12-03-2018, 10:13 AM

I had hoped that Musgrave would be good as OC, but I've not been impressed. Agreed that he doesn't seem to utilize the strength of his talent (arguably the best offensive talent the Broncos have had across the board in a long time), and he seems too focused on trying to do the unexpected.

I think Lindsey needs more touches, but those should be in the passing game, not just more rushes.

Tned
12-03-2018, 10:16 AM
The more this season goes on, the more I feel it's a combo of Musgrave/Woods that are our biggest issues. I think VJ is growing and would be ok with a better more creative offensive playcaller.

Fortunately, the defense has been a bend, don't break, type of defense (25th in yards, 12th in points allowed), but the schemes he runs just don't seem anywhere as effective as Wade, and the drop off was immediate with nearly the same players on defense.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-03-2018, 10:22 AM
Fortunately, the defense has been a bend, don't break, type of defense (25th in yards, 12th in points allowed), but the schemes he runs just don't seem anywhere as effective as Wade, and the drop off was immediate with nearly the same players on defense.

We were 28th in rushing defense the last year Wade was here.

The problem is Harris is the only corner who is exceptional at press coverage.

BroncoJoe
12-03-2018, 10:25 AM
The 6 yard TD was almost more impressive than his 65 yard TD.

Freyaka
12-03-2018, 10:27 AM

You aren't lying.

That change of directions on a dime and then the BURST that he hit the hole with immediately following the change in directions. That was freaking nuts.

Traveler
12-03-2018, 10:31 AM
The problem is Harris is the only corner who is exceptional at press coverage.

True. Making matters worse is Woods and VJ to some extent don't like press coverage. Look how thay had both CHJ and Talib playing off man the majority of the time last year.

Hawgdriver
12-03-2018, 10:33 AM

Would be perfect with a picture of Burfict struggling back to sideline.

Freyaka
12-03-2018, 10:42 AM
Would be perfect with a picture of Burfict struggling back to sideline.

I think Jano had something to do with that too. Jano lit him up HARD at one point in the game and had him seeing stars.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-03-2018, 10:55 AM
True. Making matters worse is Woods and VJ to some extent don't like press coverage. Look how thay had both CHJ and Talib playing off man the majority of the time last year.

Also true, however it may have been due to how poor our pass rush was last year. Press man results in a lot of big plays if it takes 3.5 seconds to get to the quarterback.

Tangerine
12-03-2018, 11:08 AM

You have to remember that the yardage stat is probably a bit skewed based on the offenses we've faced: Chiefs x2, Steelers, Chargers, Rams. I don't think there's a defense in the league that would be ranked very high after facing that gauntlet.

Tned
12-03-2018, 05:02 PM

Absolutely, the fact that he went right, it was completely stacked up and he was able to see the huge hole to the left, make the lateral move, and then use his burst before anyone could fill it, was massively impressive.

You can understand why he's so pissed that he wasn't invited to the combine or drafted.

Tned
12-03-2018, 05:04 PM
You have to remember that the yardage stat is probably a bit skewed based on the offenses we've faced: Chiefs x2, Steelers, Chargers, Rams. I don't think there's a defense in the league that would be ranked very high after facing that gauntlet.

Good point, and the fact that we've kept the score under control facing them as been impressive. We also what gave up 300 yards rushing to the Jets or something like that.

BroncoJoe
12-03-2018, 05:09 PM
Absolutely, the fact that he went right, it was completely stacked up and he was able to see the huge hole to the left, make the lateral move, and then use his burst before anyone could fill it, was massively impressive.

You can understand why he's so pissed that he wasn't invited to the combine or drafted.

Right. Upon reflection, I wish I wouldn't have used the word "almost". It WAS more impressive. The little delay, then the burst to his left through the hole. Most backs would have followed the lead blocker into a no gain.

https://www.denverbroncos.com/video/denvscin-phillip-lindsay-gives-broncos-first-half-lead-with-6-yard-td

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-03-2018, 05:17 PM
He had a couple change of directions on the 65 yarder that were pretty impressive. Not many guys could have done what he did:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-03-2018, 05:18 PM
His change of direction and burst remind me of Ladanian Thomlinson.

Tned
12-03-2018, 05:29 PM
He had a couple change of directions on the 65 yarder that were pretty impressive. Not many guys could have done what he did:

Also, the downfield blocks were impressive to. One by a WR and one by either Wilkerson or Veldheer I think that came all the way over from the right side (if it was one of those two). With that speed and his nose for the holes, it was just a matter of time until he busted a long one.

Poet
12-03-2018, 05:47 PM
He’s the best runner in the league.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-03-2018, 05:58 PM
He’s the best runner in the league.

Dare I say remniscent of the great Barry Sanders?

Poet
12-03-2018, 06:03 PM
Dare I say remniscent of the great Barry Sanders?

Better - he can actually attack the middle.

dogfish
12-03-2018, 06:08 PM
okay, let's maybe pump the brakes just a little bit. . .

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-03-2018, 06:11 PM

He’s Barry freaking Sanders with a side of Ladanian Thomlinson you stuffy fart!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-03-2018, 06:12 PM
But seriously, how often does someone average 5.5-6 ypc? The last guy I can remember with an apc like that was Chris Johnson.

Poet
12-03-2018, 06:48 PM
But seriously, how often does someone average 5.5-6 ypc? The last guy I can remember with an apc like that was Chris Johnson.

Jamaal Charles.

That's the point - he can break big plays while being useful between the tackles, and doesn't need a ton of touches to be effective.

I don't care if the board overstates how good he is - he's a young back with the ability to be great and he's fun. It's not like he's a young back who clearly is overachieving like Selvin Young.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-03-2018, 06:51 PM
Jamaal Charles.

That's the point - he can break big plays while being useful between the tackles, and doesn't need a ton of touches to be effective.

I don't care if the board overstates how good he is - he's a young back with the ability to be great and he's fun. It's not like he's a young back who clearly is overachieving like Selvin Young.

He’s also a reason to watch the otherwise dreadful offense. Denver is now must see tv and I’ll probably get to watch the rest of their games now.

tripp
12-03-2018, 06:59 PM
Let's say Barkley finishes the season with a TD more, and 100 or 200 yards more than Lindsay, does the fact that he was an undrafted FA have anything impact on the decision making?

We all know Barkley went 2nd over all, and it's assumed he should have these kind of numbers for going so high in the draft, how is it an undrafted rookie RB is right there with him??

tripp
12-03-2018, 07:01 PM
He’s also a reason to watch the otherwise dreadful offense. Denver is now must see tv and I’ll probably get to watch the rest of their games now.

If we still had CJ Anderson (I know I'll get hate for this because a lot of people like him but, he didn't do much for me), I'd watch other games while we're on offense because it's a snooze fest.

Poet
12-03-2018, 07:01 PM

Early in the game the announcers pointed out that without DT the game got harder for Sutton. They also noted the opposing defense couldn't get away with bracketing a WR when Lindsay was going off. That's sort of the point - Lindsay basically subsidizes the limited QB and the young WR.

He's carrying an entire offense. And, when we run the ball, Bolles gets to do something he's good at - run blocking.

Lindsay is carrying our limited and learning players.

Clearly the MVP and best back in the league.

It's science.

iLands
12-03-2018, 08:00 PM
Let's say Barkley finishes the season with a TD more, and 100 or 200 yards more than Lindsay, does the fact that he was an undrafted FA have anything impact on the decision making?

We all know Barkley went 2nd over all, and it's assumed he should have these kind of numbers for going so high in the draft, how is it an undrafted rookie RB is right there with him??

If Phil manages to drag this team to the playoffs after starting 3-6 and makes it to a 7 game win streak while continuing to do what he’s been doing as well as getting more involved in the passing game, he can snatch the award from Saquon’s quads.

Northman
12-03-2018, 08:05 PM

It is early but there is no doubt he is electric and a huge reason why we are where we are this season. I just hope he stays durable.

Cugel
12-03-2018, 10:07 PM
He’s Barry freaking Sanders with a side of Ladanian Thomlinson you stuffy fart!

Yeah, well, let's just hope he doesn't start channeling Kareem Hunt! :laugh:

GEM
12-04-2018, 07:36 AM

Not just fans are saying that, Nate Burleson said it yesterday. The talk is out there.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-04-2018, 08:08 AM
Not just fans are saying that, Nate Burleson said it yesterday. The talk is out there.

What did Burleson day?

Cugel
12-04-2018, 09:27 AM
Barkley was the #2 pick of the draft and he has slightly more yards. Lindsay was undrafted. Who the Hell do you think the East Coast writers are going to give it to? Unless Barkley breaks an ankle or something he's going to win due to expectations.

It doesn't matter though. Lindsay is going to be a very good back for a while in this league.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-04-2018, 09:39 AM
Averaging nearly 1ypc more has to play into it. Who has more touchdowns? Are the Giants in playoff contention?

NightTerror218
12-04-2018, 04:27 PM
Lindsey has less touches/catches but has a higher average. His impact to the broncos as a team that could sneak into the playoffs will come into the discussion as well for offensive rookie of the year.

Cugel
12-04-2018, 08:23 PM
Averaging nearly 1ypc more has to play into it. Who has more touchdowns? Are the Giants in playoff contention?

YOU are basing it on pure statistics. "Lindsay has a higher yards per attempt average!" Here's how the AP does their award:

1989 Barry Sanders Running back Detroit Lions [38]
1990 Emmitt Smith Running back Dallas Cowboys [39]
1991 Leonard Russell Running back New England Patriots [40]
1992 Carl Pickens Wide receiver Cincinnati Bengals [41]
1993 Jerome Bettis Running back Los Angeles Rams [42]
1994 Marshall Faulk Running back Indianapolis Colts [43]
1995 Curtis Martin Running back New England Patriots [44]
1996 Eddie George Running back Houston Oilers [45]
1997 Warrick Dunn Running back Tampa Bay Buccaneers [46]
1998 Randy Moss Wide receiver Minnesota Vikings [47]
1999 Edgerrin James Running back Indianapolis Colts [48]
2000 Mike Anderson Running back Denver Broncos [49]
2001 Anthony Thomas Running back Chicago Bears [50]
2002 Clinton Portis Running back Denver Broncos [51]
2003 Anquan Boldin Wide receiver Arizona Cardinals [52]
2004 Ben Roethlisberger Quarterback Pittsburgh Steelers [53]
2005 Cadillac Williams Running back Tampa Bay Buccaneers [54]
2006 Vince Young Quarterback Tennessee Titans [55]
2007 Adrian Peterson Running back Minnesota Vikings [56]
2008 Matt Ryan Quarterback Atlanta Falcons [57]
2009 Percy Harvin Wide receiver Minnesota Vikings [58]
2010 Sam Bradford Quarterback St. Louis Rams [59]
2011 Cam Newton Quarterback Carolina Panthers [60]
2012 Robert Griffin III Quarterback Washington Redskins [61]
2013 Eddie Lacy Running back Green Bay Packers [62]
2014 Odell Beckham Jr. Wide receiver New York Giants [63]
2015 Todd Gurley Running back St. Louis Rams [64]
2016 Dak Prescott Quarterback Dallas Cowboys [65]
2017 Alvin Kamara Running back New Orleans Saints [5]

That's a list of previous winners. To the writers it means "we're putting you in the path of someone like Edgerrin James or Clinton Portis or Adrian Peterson. In short, just because you rush for 1,200 yards or something doesn't mean they automatically give it to you.

There's this mystical thing about "most valuable" which could mean anything or nothing at all other than a bunch of Eastern, New York, Boston, DC media with the addition of the Chicago, and LA & SF media. Their opinions are focused on those teams they see regularly like the Giants.

Or on the West coast, the 49ers & Raiders. The Broncos are just invisible to these people. Nobody thought the Broncos would compete for anything this season, and after the slow start the team went 3-6. At that point, they became dead to the media.

I would listen to national sports shows and weeks would go by and the word "Broncos" would not be mentioned outside of perhaps "The Houston Texans beat the Broncos yesterday, extending their winning streak." And that's all they say about the Broncos.

Nobody is paying attention. Sure a few TV guys who've actually seen a Broncos game are aware of what Lindsay is doing, but the NY Media? It might as well be happening on Mars for all the impact it has to them.

Maybe they get calls from fantasy owners asking what round to pick this Lindsay guy, maybe not.

But, they all know Saquon Barkley, those AP voters. They all predicted he would be great, and wrote stories for their NY Newspapers about how great he would become. And now they can vote for him and make their predictions come true.

And then they can go back to their NY editors and do a column about how their prediction of Barkley's greatness has come true since he just won the AP Offensive Rookie of the Year Award.

Who do you think they will vote for? :coffee:

Cugel
12-04-2018, 08:32 PM
From my perspective "Undrafted, Unhearalded Underdog Wins AP Offensive Rookie of the Year Award!" has a nice human interest story feel to it. But, to those AP guys it would be the equivalent of "Boy! Did We Screw Up! How Did We Miss This Guy?" Because none of them had any more interest in him going into the draft than every NFL team that ignored him and didn't even have him on their draft board.

You can bet if the dude gets 1200 yards, some NFL GMs are going to have talks with their scouting departments asking "Just how did we miss this guy? We didn't even have him on our board and he's rushing for over 1,200 yards his rookie season and ten, twelve TDs? We need to figure out how a guy like this could sneak past us so that doesn't happen again."

A team needs RB help, and their owner has to ask, "how come we didn't draft that guy in the 7th round. Who did we pick anyway?" And the GM has to answer "Some Dude. We had to cut him in training camp. Not on the practice squad." :cheers: :cheers:

Gimpygod
12-04-2018, 09:32 PM

I think you are just trying to pull our legs and rile people up, however on the off chance you is serious... are you high?! Running backs in the nfl are like Michael Jackson ‘s family members, you can randomly swap their heads and no one would know the difference. Too much of a backs job is reliant upon how well those around him are playing, a great running back can’t turn a team around like a great qb can. In short giving up the farm for one is dumb, see Ricky Williams as an example, and you can’t build a team around one. What you can build on is spirit, determination and a fire for winning, Lindsey brings a surplus these qualities and is rookie of the year because of that. I win woot!

Cugel
12-06-2018, 05:49 AM
Running backs in the nfl are like Michael Jackson ‘s family members, you can randomly swap their heads and no one would know the difference.

I'm sorry, but this is just nonsense. Put Tito's head on Janet's body and people would definitely notice the difference! :laugh: