PDA

View Full Version : Broncos TE Jeff Heuerman out for season after breaking three ribs

tomjonesrocks
11-26-2018, 07:34 PM
Hmm...not seeing a thread for this. Feel free to merge if there is one...

Next man up, I guess (sigh)

Broncos TE Jeff Heuerman out for season after breaking three ribs
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25385701/broncos-te-jeff-heuerman-season-breaking-three-ribs

I Like TDs
11-26-2018, 08:27 PM
MHR is reporting he also has a bruised lung.

Broncos starting tight end Jeff Heuerman sustained a broken rib, but more horrifically a bruised lung. KUSA's Mike Klis says that Heuerman is out for the season.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/11/26/18113071/shaquil-barrett-out-2-4-weeks-jeff-heuerman-out-for-season

DenBronx
11-26-2018, 09:29 PM
That’s unfortunate. Jake Butt and Heuerman were both looking like promising TEs.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-27-2018, 10:12 AM
I fail to see how getting your ribs busted has anything to do with being injury prone. That just means he got freaking rocked.

Freyaka
11-27-2018, 10:22 AM
I fail to see how getting your ribs busted has anything to do with being injury prone. That just means he got freaking rocked.

Broken ribs can happen to everyone, but basically the dude ends every season on IR. Broken ribs may not be an "injury prone" type injury, but the guy is for sure snake bitten when it comes to staying healthy. In fact, wouldn't shock me if next year he went on IR for literally being bitten by a snake.

Cugel
11-29-2018, 12:25 PM
Broken ribs can happen to everyone, but basically the dude ends every season on IR. Broken ribs may not be an "injury prone" type injury, but the guy is for sure snake bitten when it comes to staying healthy. In fact, wouldn't shock me if next year he went on IR for literally being bitten by a snake.

Won't matter because he's an unrestricted FA at season's end. Elway normally tries to extend players he wants to keep sometime during their last season (which is dumb, but whatever). Only this season he just hasn't done it at all.

Heuerman is only 1 guy. I suppose they could re-negotiate him in the off season, but why wait if they want to keep him? I haven't heard that they made him an offer and he refused.

Most likely Elway is waiting to see which way to go with this team - keep some of the veterans around for another season - if they make a playoff run or come close? Or just blow up the team and start over with a bunch of young players.

Right now it's probably somewhere in the middle, with the outcome depending on how they do the rest of the season and whether they keep VJ and the coaching staff for 1 more year.

Simple Jaded
11-30-2018, 10:09 PM
They should keep him, he’ll come cheap and it’ll save the inevitable wasted pick on another white stiff from the B10.

Cugel
11-30-2018, 11:30 PM
They should keep him, he’ll come cheap and it’ll save the inevitable wasted pick on another white stiff from the B10.

They might want to keep him, yes. But, despite his injury he'll get some offers. It's FA! Remember how Jacksonville kept buying up every single Bronco FA that hit the market? They even gave Zane Beadles a $7.5 million contract in 2014 and $5m in 2015.

Zane Beadles. Some teams will overpay FAs. That's been the rule in the NFL for some time now. So, to keep all the UFAs the Broncos have would take a boatload of money.

Elway does not like to spend a boatload of money, and overpay some of these guys. So, as happened before with guys like Danny Trevathan and Malik Jackson, some of these UFAs will choose to go elsewhere over staying with the Broncos, even if Elway wants to keep them.

With most of the FAs of course Elway does NOT want to keep them.

Bradley Roby for instance. They could have exercised his 5th year option, and kept him on the team for a team-friendly deal. But, they refused. Now, if they want to re-sign him, they'd have to out-compete all the teams out there desperate for starting CB talent. Someone will probably overpay him in the $12m or more range.

No, I don't think he's worth that. But starting caliber CBs get big money. And he's starting caliber. He might not be Talib, but there are plenty of CBs in this league worse than Bradley Roby. So, he'll get paid.

I mention this as a typical example.

Simple Jaded
12-01-2018, 12:01 AM
I think you’re thinking of Shane Ray in your Roby example because they picked up Roby’s 5th year option. Which he’s playing in now.

They declined Ray this past March, he’ll be a FA in next March.

They should resign all 3 players, these actually represent “hits” on Elway’s scale of Hits and Misses.

Davii
12-01-2018, 01:35 AM
I think Jaded is a synonym for never pleased or consistently extremely negative.

Simple Jaded
12-01-2018, 08:06 PM
I think Jaded is a synonym for never pleased or consistently extremely negative.

That’s why I need a new screen name.

Because I was the only one saying 10-6 in week 5-6 when the rest of this MB couldn’t hope for an 8-8 team.

Yeah, I’m unpleased, yeah, I’m negative. But I’m right.

I will never be pleased and positive about 8-8 mediocrity, there’s enough of that around here.

Cugel
12-01-2018, 11:12 PM
I think you’re thinking of Shane Ray in your Roby example because they picked up Roby’s 5th year option. Which he’s playing in now.

They declined Ray this past March, he’ll be a FA in next March.

They should resign all 3 players, these actually represent “hits” on Elway’s scale of Hits and Misses.

You're right. He's already on his fifth year. But normally Elway would have re-negotiated a deal with a player he wanted to keep by now or attempted it.

But, nothing on Roby. And as a UFA he's going to get huge money. He'll be the best FA starting CB in the market. And some teams are going to overpay.

Because that's what happens in FA every single year. Teams overpay for other team's FAs. The Broncos after all paid Ron Leary $10.3 million this year.

And he's been injured and ineffective all year. They never got close to their money's worth from him and next year they can cut him for $1m cap hit.