PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Derek Wolfe.

Shazam!
11-14-2018, 06:10 AM
Looks like Wolfe will not be back in 2019. Thanks for all the solid years. No way he is bought back after these comments.

“I thought we were going to have a quarterback. I thought we were going to keep a lot of the guys on the defense. That’s why I took that haircut. A huge haircut, because I wanted to stay here and be a part of the best defense to play it. I didn’t know that Wade was going to end up leaving. I thought I was going to have Wade for a while. Nothing against Joe Woods, I was just really comfortable with where I was at. Then everything changed.”

https://mobile.twitter.com/NickiJhabvala/status/1062410662721159168

I appreciate his open honesty but it just shows how far VJ has dragged this team down.

Northman
11-14-2018, 08:38 AM
Shots fired!

Northman
11-14-2018, 08:42 AM
VJ may have been the fly in the ointment but Elway is the one who opened the door. Love John and he can correct this but its probably going to take a while longer now because he is going to have to be able to convince players to want to come here again and that wont be easy with how disgruntled they are about the things that have went down. But Derek also has to understand that just because he took a home discount does not mean other players did and unless you can get those other players on board with the line of thinking it will still be a problem with the cap.

Shazam!
11-14-2018, 09:01 AM
This does not bode well for the rest of the games, but we can expect a top 10 Draft pick for sure.

MasterShake
11-14-2018, 09:04 AM
If Wolfe thought they could continue to be a top flight defense for years to come, that haircut might have nicked his brain a bit. Regardless of how historic that defense was, everything was predicated on having a Hall of Fame QB under center and all-pro players at nearly every level on defense which wasn't sustainable. Even with a hobbled Manning, he had leadership on the field that was unmatched and him coming in late in the year sparked us to a Super Bowl as much as our defense did. You think it's coincidence that the last time we sniffed a Super Bowl before Manning was with Elway? Even with Wade a few years ago the chinks in the armor were showing on defense as they were getting torched on opening drives.

Right now from what I can see Wade's defense in LA is pretty middle of the pack because he is missing the chemistry and talent of the 2015 team. Love Wade, love Wolfe, but am sick of the shock that a post-Manning post-Ware/Ward/Talib Broncos team is struggling.

We sold our soul to free agency and went to 2 Super Bowls and won one. I'll take that all day every day as I burn in hell for the next season or two.

Shazam!
11-14-2018, 09:08 AM
If Wolfe thought they could continue to be a top flight defense for years to come, that haircut might have nicked his brain a bit. Regardless of how historic that defense was, everything was predicated on having a Hall of Fame QB under center and all-pro players at nearly every level on defense which wasn't sustainable. Even with a hobbled Manning, he had leadership on the field that was unmatched and him coming in late in the year sparked us to a Super Bowl as much as our defense did. You think it's coincidence that the last time we sniffed a Super Bowl before Manning was with Elway? Even with Wade a few years ago the chinks in the armor were showing on defense as they were getting torched on opening drives.

Right now from what I can see Wade's defense in LA is pretty middle of the pack because he is missing the chemistry and talent of the 2015 team. Love Wade, love Wolfe, but am sick of the shock that a post-Manning post-Ware/Ward/Talib Broncos team is struggling.

We sold our soul to free agency and went to 2 Super Bowls and won one. I'll take that all day every day as I burn in hell for the next season or two.

I think it's more of a frustration of the ineptitude of the offense, his comments began with the QB.

MasterShake
11-14-2018, 09:12 AM
I think it's more of a frustration of the ineptitude of the offense, his comments began with the QB.

Well that I totally understand. But it's not a Broncos specific problem. When he says he thought they had a QB I wonder if he meant Brock? I had to believe for part of that 2015 season before we lost him players had bought into him taking over.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-14-2018, 10:36 AM
Looks like Nicki left out a very important part of this. She often does that.

from another article:

Still, according to Wolfe, he wouldn't go back and change his decision.

“No, because I am where I am. I’m happy. If we were winning I’d be real happy.”

https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Article/Derek-Wolfe-unloads-on-Broncos-front-office-regarding-QBs-Wade-Phillips-Everything-changed-124704027/

Northman
11-14-2018, 10:44 AM
Guy has a point.

But I’ll say this; I get tired of hearing Wolfe talk often of the ‘haircut’ he took to stay in Denver. He agreed to the contract and he’s still making $8 million in base salary this season, despite dealing with some scary injury issues that have declined his play over the years, but the team has stuck behind him.

Derek Wolfe (https://247sports.com/Player/Derek-Wolfe-13783) would be hard-pressed to find a contract of that ilk on the open market today. But he’s not wrong about 2015; he took less than what the open market would have paid him following Super Bowl 50. That doesn’t mean he needs to remind everyone every time he gets a mic shoved in his face.

LawDog
11-14-2018, 11:16 AM
Well that I totally understand. But it's not a Broncos specific problem. When he says he thought they had a QB I wonder if he meant Brock? I had to believe for part of that 2015 season before we lost him players had bought into him taking over.

Actually he said he thought they were going to have a QB. I took that as his frustration that they still haven't figured out the position after PFM left, not as pointing to any one of the guys they have run out there.

BeefStew25
11-14-2018, 11:16 AM
Screw a QB. Get an OL. It’s time.

Tangerine
11-14-2018, 11:27 AM

Not going to matter without a QB, look at the 2015 Cowboys as an example. Playoff team with 12 & 13 wins in 2014 & 2016 when they had solid QB play, 4 win team in 2015 when they were forced to start Matt Cassel and Brandon Weedon nearly the entire season (3 of those wins Tony Romo started), thats with the best o-line in football.

Northman
11-14-2018, 11:39 AM
Not going to matter without a QB, look at the 2015 Cowboys as an example. Playoff team with 12 & 13 wins in 2014 & 2016 when they had solid QB play, 4 win team in 2015 when they were forced to start Matt Cassel and Brandon Weedon nearly the entire season (3 of those wins Tony Romo started), thats with the best o-line in football.

Yea, i was going to bring that up too.

Freyaka
11-14-2018, 01:16 PM

https://i.giphy.com/media/3o85xIO33l7RlmLR4I/giphy.webp

Cugel
11-14-2018, 01:16 PM
VJ may have been the fly in the ointment but Elway is the one who opened the door. Love John and he can correct this but its probably going to take a while longer now because he is going to have to be able to convince players to want to come here again and that wont be easy with how disgruntled they are about the things that have went down. But Derek also has to understand that just because he took a home discount does not mean other players did and unless you can get those other players on board with the line of thinking it will still be a problem with the cap.

It's not a problem with the cap. They weren't going to keep Derek Wolfe anyway next season, because he's been injured and is getting older and his cap hit for 2019 is $10,925,000 and his dead cap hit is $2,375,000. So, goodbye!

What fans have to understand is that the entire roster is set to blow up and start over next year.

Elway decided this BEFORE this season. He decided not to re-do Wolfe's contract, or extend Bradley Roby for a 5th season.

You can also tell that they're keeping Von Miller dead cap hit of $28m in 2019.

They're also getting rid of most of the UFAs they refused to re-sign prior to the season: Jared Veldheer, Domato Pecko, Trumaine Brock, Shaquil Barrett, Matt Paradis, Shane Ray, Zach Kerr, Pacman Jones, Jeff Heurmann, Max Garcia, Kevin Hogan, and Jordan Taylor to name a few.

The Broncos could and would have re-negotiated some of these players in the off season if they thought they were a team competing for championships. You don't see the Chiefs leaving the core of their veterans open to FA! You don't see other top teams doing that. They are in win now mode. The Broncos are in re-build mode.

I can criticize Elway for not re-signing veteran players who are playing well, but he took a look at this team and said "I don't know that we want to lock up too much of the salary cap in these guys" and he didn't. He's letting them hit FA and that means most of them will be playing somewhere else next year.

At season's end they are firing Vance Joseph and the entire coaching staff and starting over with a rookie QB they find, probably in the top 5 picks of the NFL draft. So, why keep Wolfe or other ageing veterans?

Cugel
11-14-2018, 01:26 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hawk View Post

Mark Schlereth and Mike EVans were talking about this on the radio yesterday. In today's NFL teams this season are running the ball less than they ever have, and passing more than ever in NFL history. That's not an accident. It's a direct result of the NFL constantly re-writing the rules to favor the QB and pass receiver.

"Unsportsman-like conduct! Glaring at the QB with a menacing look! 15 yards plus a 3 game suspension and $50,000 fine for a first offense!"

They are paying starting QBs in this league between $1m ($16m/season) to $2m per game and they don't want some reserve linebacker making the league minimum to blow up their $30m Qb and knock him out for months, costing the team perhaps $12m in wasted salary, in addition to destroying the team's chances for the season.

So, every year they re-write the rules and make having an elite passing QB more and more important. And the Broncos don't have that guy in a league that values nothing else.

Maybe 1 team in a generation can win like the 2015 Broncos with historically great defense and no franchise QB to speak of - 2000 Ravens, '85 Bears, etc. But that is the exception to the rule, and it's never happened to the same team twice.

Shazam!
11-14-2018, 01:39 PM

Im Shazam and I approve this message.

I believe TS sould have succeeded here with some kind of pass pro

Poet
11-14-2018, 02:04 PM
At the the time he took that deal it wasn't a paycut. The Broncos were paying a promising talent who had SOME production. It's revisionist history, in my opinion.

However, the spirit of what he is saying is correct. He watched us lowball Campbell, ignore Whitworth at LT, etc. He watched us shovel off some of the veteran leaders. He watched TS flounder, PL bust, etc.

Shazam!
11-14-2018, 02:18 PM
I think Elway getting VJ was about a Coach who would take less $$ too

Poet
11-14-2018, 02:18 PM
I hope not.

Shazam!
11-14-2018, 02:26 PM
Well u said it yourself theyve cheaped it in the player front. Allegedly not wanting to pay Wade, and VJ being a lower cost option sounds plausible.

I also think the vacant stadium naming rights (but I LOVE Broncos Stadium!) effected the franchise so badly the family wants the trust removed because they lost millions because of a failure in the office.

Poet
11-14-2018, 02:27 PM
I'm not saying you're wrong. I am just hoping we didn't go cheap. Mike Browning it is bad.

Northman
11-14-2018, 02:31 PM
I'm not saying you're wrong. I am just hoping we didn't go cheap. Mike Browning it is bad.

Somebody mention Mike Browning, awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECkO84_gqhE

Oh you meant a different one.... lol

Poet
11-14-2018, 02:48 PM
Oh don’t you start!

HORSEPOWER 56
11-14-2018, 03:26 PM
Look, I’ve always liked Wolfe but it was obvious then and it’s obvious now that we paid the wrong DE from that Super Bowl squad. The other guy was a better player and hasn’t had the injuries. He does tend to get the unnecessary personal foul from time to time but he’s a better player.

Shazam!
11-14-2018, 03:35 PM
Look, I’ve always liked Wolfe but it was obvious then and it’s obvious now that we paid the wrong DE from that Super Bowl squad. The other guy was a better player and hasn’t had the injuries. He does tend to get the unnecessary personal foul from time to time but he’s a better player.

Malik?

Cugel
11-14-2018, 04:32 PM
At the the time he took that deal it wasn't a paycut. The Broncos were paying a promising talent who had SOME production. It's revisionist history, in my opinion.

However, the spirit of what he is saying is correct. He watched us lowball Campbell, ignore Whitworth at LT, etc. He watched us shovel off some of the veteran leaders. He watched TS flounder, PL bust, etc.

Basically he played his ass off for 3 years while Elway failed repeatedly to find a franchise QB who doesn't suck.

Osweiler. No, Paxton. No, Trevor. No, Paxton again. No, Trevor again. No Osweiler again. No, Keenum. Chad Kelly? No.

And here we are. No QB worth spit on the roster. And they are on the hook for $10m for Keenum NEXT year, so he'll probably be back, although we all hope NOT in a starting role.

Can you blame Wolfe for feeling let down? Elway screwed this team hard and fast with his poor personnel decisions.

Cugel
11-14-2018, 04:37 PM
Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post

Malik said after he left that he wanted to stay, and that he was willing to negotiate a fair deal - the year BEFORE his contract expired. I.e. prior to the 2015 season. Elway, as he always does, refused. Then the "free agent market got away from us" which simply means they underestimated how much it would cost to keep players who had actually become FAs and could negotiate with other teams.

They decided they couldn't keep both Wolfe and Malik Jackson, but of course they could, but only IF they decided to redo the contracts PRIOR to the 2015 season. They were lucky Wolfe didn't leave too. Same thing with Chris Harris who took a team friendly deal and probably regrets it now.

Elway was saved from the consequences of his own incompetence, by the fact that some players were willing to negotiate below market contracts, because they wanted to stay with a SB winning team.

Well, we ain't a SB sniffing team right now, so Elway better change his approach. So far he hasn't but that could be because he recognizes that this team needs to be blown up anyway.

Shazam!
11-14-2018, 04:51 PM
I believe that with an improved OLine this team isnt that far off. They hung with KC and the Rams. This team needs better play from their QBs tho regardless of OLine play.

But this is an indictment of VJ. He lost the team. Players who respect their Coach wouldnt make those damning comments. He knows VJ is gone too so he has nothing to lose.

Hopefully in 2-3 years we will look back on the VJ era and laugh. This makes McDaniels era look welcoming.

Cugel
11-14-2018, 04:57 PM
Well u said it yourself theyve cheaped it in the player front. Allegedly not wanting to pay Wade, and VJ being a lower cost option sounds plausible.

I also think the vacant stadium naming rights (but I LOVE Broncos Stadium!) effected the franchise so badly the family wants the trust removed because they lost millions because of a failure in the office.

The naming rights fiasco didn't please the heirs, but the value of their interest in the team keeps going up as the franchise value increases.

They are fighting over control over the team - to be named the controlling owner, and remove that interest from the Trust.

Beth Bowlen got stiffed by the Trust, so Bill Bowlen, who supports Beth, filed a lawsuit to remove the Trustees. Losing money would be an issue in support of that lawsuit, but the team overall isn't losing money.

Ellis and the Trustees want Brittany, but apparently they have to wait till she's 40 to turn things over to her and she's only 28 so that would be another 12years. If they can wait that long, which I doubt.

Their second preference is supposedly to sell the team to an outside party, but none of the heirs are likely to want that and all of them including Brittany might sue in that case.

Cugel
11-14-2018, 05:00 PM
Hopefully in 2-3 years we will look back on the VJ era and laugh. This makes McDaniels era look welcoming.

I hate McMoron with the blinding hatred of a billion white hot suns, but he did go 8-8 his first season. VJ went 6-10 with a better team and now is likely to go 6-10 again this year.

Is he worse? Hard to argue that, but he's certainly not much better.

Shazam!
11-14-2018, 05:43 PM

I hate McMoron with the blinding hatred of a billion white hot suns, but he did go 8-8 his first season. VJ went 6-10 with a better team and now is likely to go 6-10 again this year.

Is he worse? Hard to argue that, but he's certainly not much better.

I am of the belief that with McD the offense would never be as putrid as it is now. Hell he probably wouldnt even want Case K.

BeefStew25
11-14-2018, 05:52 PM
I am of the belief that with McD the offense would never be as putrid as it is now. Hell he probably wouldnt even want Case K.

McD is a poisonous human tho. That fault trumps all others. Vance is a solid guy. It matters.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-14-2018, 06:17 PM
Malik?

Yes

Dapper Dan
11-14-2018, 07:17 PM
I miss Malik the Freak.

Buff
11-14-2018, 08:57 PM
I'm tired of hearing from emo Derek Wolfe.

Shazam!
11-14-2018, 09:03 PM

McD is a poisonous human tho. That fault trumps all others. Vance is a solid guy. It matters.

McD was a better Xs and Os guy I think and would manage the game better. Shitty how he treated players and immature no doubt.

Davii
11-15-2018, 12:06 AM

Except on Sunday!

dogfish
11-15-2018, 02:18 PM

you should punch him in the face. . .

Timmy!
11-15-2018, 04:44 PM
6-10 last year? Did the NFL just decide to hand us an extra win because they felt bad? It was 5-11.

McDaniels was a horrible personnel guy and a trash human, but is light years ahead of VJ on coaching ability.

Freyaka
11-15-2018, 05:11 PM
6-10 last year? Did the NFL just decide to hand us an extra win because they felt bad? It was 5-11.

McDaniels was a horrible personnel guy and a trash human, but is light years ahead of VJ on coaching ability.

If we could combine the two, we'd have a semi-competent headcoach with a nice tan.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-15-2018, 05:25 PM
Did he really essentially say we don’t have a quarterback?

Northman
11-15-2018, 05:28 PM

Oh yea he went THERE but we all know he is right. Lol

Freyaka
11-15-2018, 05:30 PM

He IS right, but jeeze.... That man had a family! You didn't need to kill the guy standing in place of a QB so brutally.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-15-2018, 05:46 PM

Well, Derek isn’t one to be afraid of facing the guy in the locker room. But that doesn’t seem to be his MO.

Shazam!
11-15-2018, 07:19 PM

That was his quote and its from Nikki

HORSEPOWER 56
11-15-2018, 07:21 PM

People keep saying Mcdouchenozzle is a better coach. I remember most of those wins the first year coming from the fact that Mike Nolan’s defense didn’t allow a single point in the second half of like 4 straight games. Mcdickwad’s offense was just as bad if not worse than the clown show we have right now. It wasn’t until Mcdumbass decided to try to dictate to Nolan how to run his defense that shit went sour. McDoofus interfered and the defense took a nosedive and we lost what 7 of our last 8? Maybe I’m not recalling correctly but Mcdorkface was 100% at fault for that season.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-15-2018, 07:33 PM
People keep saying Mcdouchenozzle is a better coach. I remember most of those wins the first year coming from the fact that Mike Nolan’s defense didn’t allow a single point in the second half of like 4 straight games. Mcdickwad’s offense was just as bad if not worse than the clown show we have right now. It wasn’t until Mcdumbass decided to try to dictate to Nolan how to run his defense that shit went sour. McDoofus interfered and the defense took a nosedive and we lost what 7 of our last 8? Maybe I’m not recalling correctly but Mcdorkface was 100% at fault for that season.

That’s how I remember it.

Buff
11-15-2018, 08:21 PM
you should punch him in the face. . .

He don't want no smoke.

Cugel
11-15-2018, 08:22 PM

Well you won't have to endure him beyond the end of this season. He's tired of balling out 100% only to have his and the other defender's efforts totally wasted due to pathetic QB play for 3 straight years. He's gone at the end of the season.

He has 1 more year on his contract and they might as well trade him, since he'll be 29 and this is a rebuilding team in 2019.

Dapper Dan
11-15-2018, 11:56 PM
Let’s trade him for a 6th round pick while we can.

slim
11-16-2018, 12:23 AM
He ain't lying

GEM
11-18-2018, 10:42 AM
He ain't lying, but how's the run defense looking? When you're a key issue in not stopping the run, maybe watch what you say.

nevcraw
11-18-2018, 05:37 PM
Wolfe is on point. He took a lot less. And Malik didn’t deserve the money until after 2015.

Simple Jaded
11-18-2018, 08:59 PM
He ain't lying, but how's the run defense looking? When you're a key issue in not stopping the run, maybe watch what you say.

Make a good point but Wolfe’s run D isn’t an issue, he carries his weight there.

sneakers
11-19-2018, 07:43 AM
he aint wrong tho

wayninja
11-19-2018, 12:37 PM
I have always appreciated Derek's brutal honestly. Platitudes are easy.

Buff
11-19-2018, 01:00 PM

Whining about losing is easy.

Being a leader when things get tough is hard. Von and Harris didn't do the "woe is me" routine like Wolfe did. Harris arguably took an undermarket deal too.

Northman
11-19-2018, 01:12 PM

Yep, sometimes tough love is needed and being honest while difficult is sometimes necessary.

Poet
11-19-2018, 01:27 PM

Being a leader when things get tough is hard. Von and Harris didn't do the "woe is me" routine like Wolfe did. Harris arguably took an undermarket deal too.

He whined about reporters pointing out that he's hurt a lot. He whines a lot in general. Yeah, everything he said is true, but he's annoying.

wayninja
11-19-2018, 01:42 PM

Nah, you generally get ripped to shit when you whine about losing. This is sorta point in case. Saying "we gotta work harder, blah blah blah". That shit's easy. It's not necessarily being a leader to call your practices good, your losses puzzling, and everyone's doing what they are supposed to do, they just need to do it "better." Usually the truth is more fundamental and pointed than that. Just like he's saying.

Dapper Dan
11-19-2018, 04:45 PM
Malik > Derek

Poet
11-19-2018, 04:53 PM
Malik > Derek

Easily.

Wolfe is a bit of a moron, tbh.

Northman
11-19-2018, 05:04 PM
Maybe Wolfe's comments sparked the team to play better.

Dapper Dan
11-19-2018, 06:04 PM
Maybe Wolfe's comments sparked the team to play better.

Then he’s ruining my ******* draft pick!!!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-19-2018, 06:19 PM
He whined about reporters pointing out that he's hurt a lot. He whines a lot in general. Yeah, everything he said is true, but he's annoying.
He also leaves it on the field every week and never quits on his team mates, not that Harris or Miller ever do that.

Poet
11-19-2018, 06:21 PM
He also leaves it on the field every week and never quits on his team mates, not that Harris or Miller ever do that.

I'm very proud of him for doing his job.

Just because we have Keenum as a QB doesn't mean we have to lower those standards, Al. ;)

Poet
11-19-2018, 06:25 PM
I'm very proud of him for doing his job.

Just because we have Keenum as a QB doesn't mean we have to lower those standards, Al. ;)

You could have made that point without being mean.

Why are you so mean? Not just being snarky to Al, but shitting on CK. It's not like CK means to be so limited.

You could be a great man if you would just ease up. But you want be so $#@ d@#@$@ edgy. Not even trying to do that - that's just what you defaulted to.

:tsk:

nevcraw
11-19-2018, 10:29 PM
Lol @ a bunch of computer jockies calling a dude (who has taken his body to the limits and beyond on the field) names on the internet.

Poet
11-19-2018, 10:33 PM
Lol @ a bunch of computer jockies calling a dude (who has taken his body to the limits and beyond on the field) names on the internet.

I mean I got hit by a car and walked to the hospital. You don't see me whining when people point out that I've been hurt.

Or should we basically just treat them like infallible gods who are too good to be bashed?

:eek:

nevcraw
11-19-2018, 10:36 PM
I mean I got hit by a car and walked to the hospital. You don't see me whining when people point out that I've been hurt.

Or should we basically just treat them like infallible gods who are too good to be bashed?

Gives new meaning to walk a mile in another man’s shoes

Poet
11-19-2018, 10:38 PM
Gives new meaning to walk a mile in another man’s shoes

I hate walking. I'm fat, lazy, and stupid.

Valar Morghulis
11-20-2018, 02:06 PM
Then he’s ruining my ******* draft pick!!!

Why you got a picture of me in your avi?

Davii
11-20-2018, 10:54 PM

I have probably pushed further, and for less money. Caused a heart attack and was home by lunch the next day and back in the gym within a week.

I can AT LEAST ridicule our coach!

Poet
11-20-2018, 10:56 PM
I have probably pushed further, and for less money. Caused a heart attack and was home by lunch the next day and back in the gym within a week.

I can AT LEAST ridicule our coach!

Wolfe' proponent just ****** around and got styled on.

By you. I put the hashtags down.

NightTerror218
11-21-2018, 12:08 PM
DL just had their best game and I feel he is the leader on that line.