PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Mike Brown

Jsteve01
11-12-2018, 10:13 PM
Just sitting around today thinking about what might have been. Had Brown not prevented VJ from taking our coodinator position then we never luck our way into Wade and have zero chance at the Super Bowl. Talk about a lucky bounce

Shazam!
11-13-2018, 05:20 AM
Dont forget to thank King, our #1 Bengals fan.

Poet
11-13-2018, 09:57 AM
Dont forget to thank King, our #1 Bengals fan.

This post is outrageous!

Cugel
11-13-2018, 10:28 AM
It's totally accurate. Elway wanted Vance as his DC. The Browns said no, which they had a right to do under the contractual rules for NFL coaches because it was a lateral move. Vance would leave his job in Cleveland and assume similar duties here. It wasn't a head coaching job.

I don't think Elway ever explained why he thought VJ would make a great DC, better than Wade, let alone head coach. I think it was something, something about being able to relate to the players, something, something. It didn't make any sense at the time and in retrospect it merely makes Elway look stupid.

So, it hasn't come up in recent years. But, the reasons were something like that.

As for Wade, I suppose he was too expensive and wanted to be paid even more after the SB success. He wanted to stay here until his retirement. Elway couldn't wait to get rid of him.

It would have been ideal. An elite DC whose players loved playing for him, but who had already been promoted to head coach twice and failed twice so he's not going anywhere.

But, Elway would have had to pay him like a top coach and "we don't want to lose Joe Woods." Another typical Elway blunder like "we not kicking Paxton to the curb" as the reason the Broncos refused to draft a franchise QB, 4 months before they actually did kick Paxton to the curb.

Similarly, they "didn't want to lose Joe Woods," whom they are now going to fire at the end of the season. Meanwhile the Rams are going to the SB with a great defense.

I don't even take much credit for predicting this, because everybody predicted it. Probably lots of people on these boards predicted it.

Elway failed to predict it, just as he refused to admit that his brilliant maneuver, giving up a 3rd round pick, to trade up to get ahead of the Dallas Cowboys and grab Paxton Lynch turned out to be a bonehead move. Just like drafting Brock Osweiler instead of Russell Wilson turned out to be wrong. Just like drafting Garrett Bolles instead of Ryan Ramzchek turned out to be wrong. Just like drafting Montee Ball, and Sylvester Williams, and Ty Sambrailo, and Vance Walker and Carlos Henderson, and etc. in the first and second rounds turned out to be stupid blunders.

There have been all too many of these blunders in recent years. The sum total of all the Elway blunders is a team that has no chance to even make the playoffs for 3 straight years.

Now we're faced with rebuilding the entire roster and coaching staff from scratch in the off-season, and Elway is going, once again, to be in total charge of that. He'd better get really, really lucky with his QB and Head Coaching selections this time. Because there has to be a penalty for consistent failure at some point, even for Elway. And we've had 3 straight years of failure, and next year is looking like #4 with a rookie QB starting.

If Case Keenum is the starter in 2019, don't even get me started! :tsk:

BroncoJoe
11-13-2018, 10:43 AM
Jesus, Cugel. He was with the Bengals, not the Browns.

Cugel
11-13-2018, 10:57 AM

OK. My bad. Same state. Same midwestern failures of an organization. Same 30 years without a SB appearance let alone victory. Same lousy uniform types. Same losing tradition. Same thing altogether. FOrgive me if I confused one inept organization for another!

Jsteve01
11-13-2018, 02:03 PM

My reference to Mike Brown was confusing. Hi Joe.

Simple Jaded
11-17-2018, 06:22 PM

And it want a lateral move, he was Bengals DB Coach.

Simple Jaded
11-17-2018, 06:25 PM
It's totally accurate. Elway wanted Vance as his DC. The Browns said no, which they had a right to do under the contractual rules for NFL coaches because it was a lateral move. Vance would leave his job in Cleveland and assume similar duties here. It wasn't a head coaching job.

I don't think Elway ever explained why he thought VJ would make a great DC, better than Wade, let alone head coach. I think it was something, something about being able to relate to the players, something, something. It didn't make any sense at the time and in retrospect it merely makes Elway look stupid.

So, it hasn't come up in recent years. But, the reasons were something like that.

As for Wade, I suppose he was too expensive and wanted to be paid even more after the SB success. He wanted to stay here until his retirement. Elway couldn't wait to get rid of him.

It would have been ideal. An elite DC whose players loved playing for him, but who had already been promoted to head coach twice and failed twice so he's not going anywhere.

But, Elway would have had to pay him like a top coach and "we don't want to lose Joe Woods." Another typical Elway blunder like "we not kicking Paxton to the curb" as the reason the Broncos refused to draft a franchise QB, 4 months before they actually did kick Paxton to the curb.

Similarly, they "didn't want to lose Joe Woods," whom they are now going to fire at the end of the season. Meanwhile the Rams are going to the SB with a great defense.

I don't even take much credit for predicting this, because everybody predicted it. Probably lots of people on these boards predicted it.

Elway failed to predict it, just as he refused to admit that his brilliant maneuver, giving up a 3rd round pick, to trade up to get ahead of the Dallas Cowboys and grab Paxton Lynch turned out to be a bonehead move. Just like drafting Brock Osweiler instead of Russell Wilson turned out to be wrong. Just like drafting Garrett Bolles instead of Ryan Ramzchek turned out to be wrong. Just like drafting Montee Ball, and Sylvester Williams, and Ty Sambrailo, and Vance Walker and Carlos Henderson, and etc. in the first and second rounds turned out to be stupid blunders.

There have been all too many of these blunders in recent years. The sum total of all the Elway blunders is a team that has no chance to even make the playoffs for 3 straight years.

Now we're faced with rebuilding the entire roster and coaching staff from scratch in the off-season, and Elway is going, once again, to be in total charge of that. He'd better get really, really lucky with his QB and Head Coaching selections this time. Because there has to be a penalty for consistent failure at some point, even for Elway. And we've had 3 straight years of failure, and next year is looking like #4 with a rookie QB starting.

If Case Keenum is the starter in 2019, don't even get me started! :tsk:

That’s because you didn’t predict any of this, your stance was that Denver didn’t draft a QB because of Case Keenum and because every GM in the NFL personally told you that those QB prospects were garbage.

Poet
11-17-2018, 06:35 PM
That’s because you didn’t predict any of this, your stance was that Denver didn’t draft a QB because of Case Keenum and because every GM in the NFL personally told you that those QB prospects were garbage.

Yeah, you can't cover every single base and then state you were right. Nor can you post every single report, conflicting ones even, and then claim to be correct.