PDA

View Full Version : Report: Broncos GM John Elway “has taken a special interest” in college-type offenses

Freyaka
11-08-2018, 10:56 AM
https://www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2018/11/8/18074006/report-broncos-gm-john-elway-has-taken-a-special-interest-in-college-type-offenses?utm_campaign=milehighreport&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

And that with some buzz starting circulate in NFL circles that GM John Elway has taken a special interest in the kinds of college concepts his division rival Chiefs have employed, which could be a tip to his plans for January, if things keep going this way.

Lincoln Riley here we come?

Northman
11-08-2018, 11:01 AM
Im sure Tebow would like a call.

Freyaka
11-08-2018, 11:07 AM
Im sure Tebow would like a call.

He plays baseball where a ground ball is acceptable.

NightTrainLayne
11-08-2018, 12:50 PM
https://www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2018/11/8/18074006/report-broncos-gm-john-elway-has-taken-a-special-interest-in-college-type-offenses?utm_campaign=milehighreport&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Lincoln Riley here we come?

Lincoln Riley's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Poet
11-08-2018, 01:40 PM
I'm hard af.

dogfish
11-08-2018, 02:34 PM
john de filippo knows that andy reid scheme from his time with doug pederson in philly. . . no need to get an actual college coach when you can get an NFL guy who runs the type of scheme you want. . .

#JDPFTW!

Nomad
11-08-2018, 02:41 PM
Les Miles

BroncoWave
11-08-2018, 02:43 PM
Les Miles

You're funny. :lol:

Nomad
11-08-2018, 02:45 PM
You're funny. :lol:

Thank you. :D

Poet
11-08-2018, 02:47 PM
john de filippo knows that andy reid scheme from his time with doug pederson in philly. . . no need to get an actual college coach when you can get an NFL guy who runs the type of scheme you want. . .

#JDPFTW!

That ain't bad.

But how much of that college offense was he exposed to when he was around Reid?

He's doing a good job in 'Sota, so that is something to be pleased with.

underrated29
11-08-2018, 02:51 PM
What QBs can run those offenses is my question.

OrangeHoof
11-08-2018, 06:16 PM
Welcome, Mike Leach to the Broncos...

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-08-2018, 07:04 PM
That would be must see tv.

VonDoom
11-08-2018, 07:36 PM
MHR speculated about Eric Bienemy. Would be interesting. I’d love someone who came from the Andy Reid tree

Simple Jaded
11-08-2018, 07:58 PM

God! Please! No!

I love Leach ... except for his bullshit offense.

If they go Air Raid it needs to be Riley, don’t settle.

MOtorboat
11-09-2018, 01:56 AM
God! Please! No!

I love Leach ... except for his bullshit offense.

If they go Air Raid it needs to be Riley, don’t settle.

This is funny. Because Riley literally played, coached and learned the offense at Tech under Leach.

Elevation inc
11-09-2018, 03:05 AM

#JDPFTW!

JDPFTW for real. Lock could be a real possibility in the top 15 then to.

TXBRONC
11-09-2018, 08:38 AM

Ugh, I like Leach as college coach I'm not sure I would like him at the pro level.

NightTrainLayne
11-09-2018, 12:45 PM
Mike Leach is aweseome:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24866357/the-untold-1999-texas-oklahoma-story-mike-leach-fake-play-script

;)

Nomad
11-09-2018, 12:47 PM
Hire Mike Gundy just for the press conferences. :D

Cugel
11-09-2018, 02:02 PM
Just because Andy Reid is successful with an offense doesn't mean some college coach who has never coached in the NFL before would be. It's a huge transition, and not every successful college coach makes it successfully.

I have no idea where Elway will find the next HC, but he'd better be someone who can come in and know what he's doing from day 1. I.e. we cannot afford another Vance Joseph who has to "learn on the job."

That would just waste another two years! :coffee:

Freyaka
11-09-2018, 02:12 PM
The nice thing about switching to about rpo college style offense. There are a lot more qbs capable of running a college offense than pro, might make an easier transition to the next level since they will come in already familiar with many of the concepts.

NightTrainLayne
11-09-2018, 02:29 PM
The nice thing about switching to about rpo college style offense. There are a lot more qbs capable of running a college offense than pro, might make an easier transition to the next level since they will come in already familiar with many of the concepts.

The downside of trying that is exposing your QB to that increased risk of injury. NFL defenses are just too damn quick and too damn big to truly run an RPO offense and consistently utilize the QB like that. Eventually they will get hurt.

dogfish
11-09-2018, 02:33 PM
That ain't bad.

But how much of that college offense was he exposed to when he was around Reid?

He's doing a good job in 'Sota, so that is something to be pleased with.

he wasn't around reid-- he was with reid's protege, doug pederson, who looks like he may be a better coach than his mentor. . . JDP helped develop wentz, and was the QB coach who guided foles on that epic playoff run. . . he also did a stint in the college ranks before his time in philly, so he has recent experience at that level as well. . . you see the job matt nagy is doing in chicago? that's the kind of performance i would expect from de filippo. . .

Freyaka
11-09-2018, 03:04 PM
The downside of trying that is exposing your QB to that increased risk of injury. NFL defenses are just too damn quick and too damn big to truly run an RPO offense and consistently utilize the QB like that. Eventually they will get hurt.

I would say you had been right before, but look at KC. Mahomes isn't taking the kind of hits you are concerned about. With all the new defensive rules, I think the NFL is essentially shifting towards that style of offense anyway. The days of the dropback QB passer are fading.

Freyaka
11-09-2018, 03:06 PM
he wasn't around reid-- he was with reid's protege, doug pederson, who looks like he may be a better coach than his mentor. . . JDP helped develop wentz, and was the QB coach who guided foles on that epic playoff run. . . he also did a stint in the college ranks before his time in philly, so he has recent experience at that level as well. . . you see the job matt nagy is doing in chicago? that's the kind of performance i would expect from de filippo. . .

I just want someone who wins. Obviously, I'm kinda into the idea of Lincoln Riley, but I can buy into JPD pretty quickly.

Poet
11-09-2018, 03:36 PM
Just find a solid coach and a blue chip QB prospect. Then we hashtag.

Freyaka
11-09-2018, 03:40 PM
Just find a solid coach and a blue chip QB prospect. Then we hashtag.

#JustWinBa....crap that's the raiders...
#AllWe'reTryingToDoIsWinAMotherF***kingGame

Poet
11-09-2018, 03:40 PM
Trade for Rodgers.

Freyaka
11-09-2018, 04:07 PM
Trade for Rodgers.

Are the Packers thinking of moving on from him? As much as I'd love that

#LifeIsntMadden

DenBronx
11-09-2018, 04:07 PM
Trade for Rodgers.

Take your medicine

Poet
11-09-2018, 09:00 PM
Take your medicine

I can hope. Considering some of the silliness I see on here I can post that in hope.

Simple Jaded
11-09-2018, 09:35 PM
This is funny. Because Riley literally played, coached and learned the offense at Tech under Leach.

I literally said he runs the Air Raid, but it isn’t just Leach’s offense. If NFL was after any old Air Raid you’d think Leach would have been given a shot by now. You think NFL coaches are picking Riley’s brain to learn about someone else’s offense?

Simple Jaded
11-09-2018, 09:40 PM

They already fail in the NFL just as often ... if not more often. They still have to do NFL Concepts, the college offense is not going to ‘revolutionize” the NFL.

Simple Jaded
11-09-2018, 09:43 PM

#LifeIsntMadden

No, apparently it’s EA Sports NCAA Football.

Freyaka
11-09-2018, 09:53 PM
No, apparently it’s EA Sports NCAA Football.

Don't you mention that...don't you even mention that....I'm still very sad that EA isn't making that anymore...

Cugel
11-10-2018, 05:20 AM
They already fail in the NFL just as often ... if not more often. They still have to do NFL Concepts, the college offense is not going to ‘revolutionize” the NFL.

That was the argument of all the idiot Tebowites! "Tebow is going to revolutionize football! Revolutionize it, I tell you!" Tebowite idiocy aside, when one is talking about talented QBs what really happens is this:

A spread option QB comes into the NFL. He's successful in his early career like RGIII. Defenses find it difficult to defense the spread offense he runs, so he piles up big yards, like Cam Newton.

But, sooner or later with ALL of these QBs something will happen. They will be running with the ball somewhere and get absolutely clocked. Or their OL will get tangled up in their legs and they tear up their knees. Out of the year.

And after that they start to think "maybe I should be a little more careful and stay in the pocket more! That kept me out for the majority of the season. I can't have that happen anymore. I have to try and stay healthier or I could lose my job."

The spread offense is a passing fad. The NFL is paying its QBs more and more every year. The next round of QB contracts will top the one Aaron Rogers got (4 years, $134m, $57m signing bonus). They just keep going up, never down as league revenues go up and up - that's required under the CBA.

Teams don't WANT to lose the services of the guy they are paying $30m a year. That's a lot of money to risk.

That's why the NFL owners changed the rules so you can't hit the QB any more. They are paying those QBs too much money to let them get hurt.

And having them run around where LBs like Von Miller can chase them down and slam them to the turf is a bad use of their investment.

It's not a question of yards, or even victories. This guy is your franchise QB. The dude you invested a first round pick in, most likely. And you're paying him a boat-load of money. Gotta protect that investment. And that means limiting the risk your QB is going to wind up on IR - ruining your season.

They only reason they are using these concepts more is that college uses those systems more and more. The NFL doesn't really like it and as more and more QB run, more will get hurt like Carson Wentz. The Eagles still aren't right, because Wentz is still recovering from injury. Dude is 6'5" 237, nearly as big as Cam.

Doesn't matter how he got hurt either. A running QB takes more risk because you can't touch him in the pocket. When he runs you can. It's a more violent play when he has the ball in his hands.

The only way the NFL can protect them is either to prohibit anybody from tackling them, which would mean they'd score on every play. Or else have the coach run them less and protect their investment that way.

So, the latter will inevitably happen with every one of these guys. Some guys like RGIII can't adapt and wind up busts. Some can, like Cam and Wentz, so they will be just fine. They will just become more and more traditional NFL offense over time.

sneakers
11-10-2018, 06:39 AM
triple option?

Jsteve01
11-10-2018, 11:32 AM
triple option?

Wing T

Poet
11-10-2018, 01:22 PM

#LifeIsntMadden

Look, I have to read the garbage that you idiots post. Every now and again I come down and roll in the mud with you losers.

That post you quoted is how most of you sound to me.