PDA

View Full Version : Believe it or not, Broncos could still grab wild card

Pages : [1] 2

OrangeHoof
11-05-2018, 10:09 AM
Everything would have to break right but if you strip away the top team in each AFC division, the remaining teams are still vulnerable. The Broncos would need to run the table or close to it in order to pull it off but they have been close in several games.

Who's ahead in the wild card chase...

San Diego (6-2) we still play them twice.
Cincinnati (5-3) classic chokers
Miami (5-4) same
Baltimore (4-5) They own the tiebreaker with us.
Tennessee (3-4) A loss tonight makes them 3-5.

Next you have Indy (3-5), Jacksonville (3-5), Jets (3-6) then Denver. If they can win the next two against the Chargers and Steelers, they'll be 5-6 going into a head-to-head with the Bengals. Then they get to end the season with San Francisco, Cleveland, Oakland and San Diego..all winnable.

I know this all sounds pie-in-the-sky but stranger things have happened. Can they finish 10-6 or 9-7 still? Yes if they figure out how to turn it around and win the close ones.

LawDog
11-05-2018, 11:07 AM
Nope, not gonna happen.

CoachChaz
11-05-2018, 11:13 AM
Pretty much have to win them all for any chance

TXBRONC
11-05-2018, 11:13 AM
Everything would have to break right but if you strip away the top team in each AFC division, the remaining teams are still vulnerable. The Broncos would need to run the table or close to it in order to pull it off but they have been close in several games.

Who's ahead in the wild card chase...

San Diego (6-2) we still play them twice.
Cincinnati (5-3) classic chokers
Miami (5-4) same
Baltimore (4-5) They own the tiebreaker with us.
Tennessee (3-4) A loss tonight makes them 3-5.

Next you have Indy (3-5), Jacksonville (3-5), Jets (3-6) then Denver. If they can win the next two against the Chargers and Steelers, they'll be 5-6 going into a head-to-head with the Bengals. Then they get to end the season with San Francisco, Cleveland, Oakland and San Diego..all winnable.

I know this all sounds pie-in-the-sky but stranger things have happened. Can they finish 10-6 or 9-7 still? Yes if they figure out how to turn it around and win the close ones.

While it's mathematically possible, I don't think it's a realistic possibility.

MasterShake
11-05-2018, 11:24 AM
All I wanted for the Broncos this year was to win games we SHOULD win. The only time I felt that happened was Arizona. You could argue our first 2 wins were closer to being losses than wins. It's so frustrating because you can see the talent on this team but they have NO room for error because they aren't good enough to overcome that. I'd love to see them eek out 5 more wins somehow, but at this point all decisions being made have to be what is best for the FUTURE of the franchise. It just sucks because the time between NFL seasons seems the longest.

Cugel
11-05-2018, 03:40 PM
If the Broncos were going to win 8 games this thread would have theoretical relevance. However, they are going to be lucky to win 6. The teams the Broncos need to be concerned with are not Chargers, Bengals and Ravens. It's the Cardinals, Raiders, and 49ers getting ahead of them in the draft!

This team is going to be blown up and start over again with a new coach, new coaching staff, and about 10+ new starting players. Guys who will not be back: Wolfe, Roby, Barrett, Ray, Marshall? Offense: most of the OL including perhaps Matt Paradis who is a UFA. TEs: Heurmann is an UFA.

And of course, QB most of all.

Etc. Sure, the team could turn things around and win 6 of 7. Theoretically. In reality that's never going to happen. So, this thread better get whatever views it's going to get before the Chargers, Steelers and Bengals games. Because they aren't likely to win any of those games.

Buff
11-05-2018, 04:20 PM
They could also still pick #1 overall in next year's draft! :elefant:

Shazam!
11-05-2018, 04:56 PM
They'd have to win every game to somehow make this happen, but i cant even see them beating LAC in LA in two weeks. Looking like 5x11 or 6x10. Again. Joseph gets fired after the season it seems.

Its hard to believe this team wqs a SBC just 3 seasons ago. We knew PM retiring would be tough, but nobody could have imagined a Coach so inept, so not ready for the job to be the biggest issue.

OrangeHoof
11-05-2018, 05:35 PM
I am choosing to blunt the negativity, doom and gloom in my own way. Before the season, most believed the Broncos would be an 8-8 team at best, an outside shot at a wild card. My point is they still are. Houston started 0-3 and mostly through dumb luck they are now 6-3. The Broncos have been close even in most of their losses and, at some point, maybe not this year, the luck will return.

Davii
11-05-2018, 10:31 PM
I am choosing to blunt the negativity, doom and gloom in my own way. Before the season, most believed the Broncos would be an 8-8 team at best, an outside shot at a wild card. My point is they still are. Houston started 0-3 and mostly through dumb luck they are now 6-3. The Broncos have been close even in most of their losses and, at some point, maybe not this year, the luck will return.

Firing VJ would be a start

Simple Jaded
11-05-2018, 10:43 PM
Why would you want them to?

MOtorboat
11-06-2018, 02:55 AM
I'm going with the "or not" portion of this.

Elevation inc
11-06-2018, 03:32 AM
With VJ as coach this isn't even mathematically possible. Its done yesterday was proof, Ain't no way we come out of the bye ready to go against a good chargers team. we might have a good practice or two, but the reality is the players saw yet again how bad at coaching situational football VJ is, so why are the going to listen to him now suddenly 10 weeks in.

DenBronx
11-07-2018, 09:46 AM
Not gonna hold my breath on this one.

BroncoNut
11-07-2018, 10:02 AM
Why would you want them to?

This.

Cugel
11-07-2018, 10:58 PM
They could also still pick #1 overall in next year's draft! :elefant:

Not a chance. The Raiders are actively TRYING to lose, and they have only 1 victory to the Broncos 3. The Raiders want that #1 pick so they can draft a QB, because Chucky has concluded that Derek Carr is not his franchise Qb. Not going to sell that in Vegas. They need the shiny new #1 QB.

The 49ers might not win any more games but they don't need a Qb. Same for the Cardinals and Bills. But, those teams have 2 wins and the Raiders only 1. The Giants have 1 win, and will draft a QB, so the #1 and #2 QBs will be probably off the board by the #3 pick.

Cugel
11-07-2018, 10:59 PM
Firing VJ would be a start

Towards tanking the rest of the season? I agree.

Freyaka
11-08-2018, 10:36 AM

The negativity, it's pretty darned warranted at this point. As long as we've got VJ here, we're going to make boneheaded mistakes taking us out of winnable games just like we did this week. There isn't a realistic possibility of this team making it and even if we did, we're a one and done team through and through.

This team doesn't deserve a playoff spot.

Cugel
11-13-2018, 11:37 AM
The negativity, it's pretty darned warranted at this point. As long as we've got VJ here, we're going to make boneheaded mistakes taking us out of winnable games just like we did this week. There isn't a realistic possibility of this team making it and even if we did, we're a one and done team through and through.

Hard to argue that any team capable of losing the the Jets by 18 points deserves a playoff berth. But, they won't get close to the playoffs so it doesn't matter.

They would need 10 wins to get in. 10 wins means winning 7 straight. Impossible.

TXBRONC
11-13-2018, 11:50 AM
Hard to argue that any team capable of losing the the Jets by 18 points deserves a playoff berth. But, they won't get close to the playoffs so it doesn't matter.

They would need 10 wins to get in. 10 wins means winning 7 straight. Impossible.

No, it not impossible, it's improbable. Denver reeled off 10 straight wins in 2012 to take the division. The Charges three years earlier reeled off 11 straight to win the division. I know a huge part of the difference who was at quarterbacking those teams. That's why it's improbable.

BroncoWave
11-13-2018, 11:52 AM
It's technically possible, but it's about as likely as Mo banging a supermodel. :D

MasterShake
11-13-2018, 01:16 PM
It's technically possible...

I would just like to see them win the games they should win, but Houston was one of those so I am not holding my breath.

For me, ideally we would beat Cincy, SF, Cleveland, and DESTROY the Raiders. Then it's just a matter of maybe a split with the Chargers or steal one from Pittsburgh at home which would be tough. I like our record for winning seasons, and that would be one way to do it. Playoffs are probably out of the question but that's fine. Even if they finish 8-8 I would be interested to see if VJ keeps his job.

TXBRONC
11-13-2018, 01:21 PM
I would just like to see them win the games they should win, but Houston was one of those so I am not holding my breath.

For me, ideally we would beat Cincy, SF, Cleveland, and DESTROY the Raiders. Then it's just a matter of maybe a split with the Chargers or steal one from Pittsburgh at home which would be tough. I like our record for winning seasons, and that would be one way to do it. Playoffs are probably out of the question but that's fine. Even if they finish 8-8 I would be interested to see if VJ keeps his job.

It would show improvement which is what we want see with young team I don't know how realistic that is.

MOtorboat
11-13-2018, 01:27 PM
It's technically possible, but it's about as likely as Mo banging a supermodel. :D

Your chances are about the same as mine.

Cugel
11-14-2018, 05:03 PM
No, it not impossible, it's improbable. Denver reeled off 10 straight wins in 2012 to take the division. The Charges three years earlier reeled off 11 straight to win the division. I know a huge part of the difference who was at quarterbacking those teams. That's why it's improbable.

Yes. There's a mathematical chance. There's dumb, and dumber.

OrangeHoof
11-27-2018, 09:46 AM
Just bumping my previous thread. All of a sudden, 3-6 could become 9-6 with a finishing home game against the Chuggers.

Defeat Chuggers in L.A. - check
Defeat Steelers - check
Defeat self-destructing Bengals?
Defeat hapless Niners?
Defeat Cleveland?
Defeat Da Fade in Oakland?

Not all that impossible, then Denver is sitting at 9-6. Baltimore has a head-to-head tie-breaker so we would need to overtake them outright but the other wild card "contenders" can be had if the team keeps winning. Anyone else want to jump on the bandwagon now?

Presume the Chuggers make it, there's 6-5 Baltimore (which owns the tiebreaker with us), 6-5 Indianapolis

BroncoJoe
11-27-2018, 09:53 AM
Just bumping my previous thread. All of a sudden, 3-6 could become 9-6 with a finishing home game against the Chuggers.

Defeat Chuggers in L.A. - check
Defeat Steelers - check
Defeat self-destructing Bengals?
Defeat hapless Niners?
Defeat Cleveland?
Defeat Da Fade in Oakland?

Not all that impossible, then Denver is sitting at 9-6. Baltimore has a head-to-head tie-breaker so we would need to overtake them outright but the other wild card "contenders" can be had if the team keeps winning. Anyone else want to jump on the bandwagon now?

Presume the Chuggers make it, there's 6-5 Baltimore (which owns the tiebreaker with us), 6-5 Indianapolis

I'm down. Plus, that final game against the Chargers is 1) at home and 2) the Chargers might not have anything to play for (i.e. playoff position already known).

BroncoWave
11-27-2018, 10:03 AM
I think we'd probably need to win out. 9-7 probably puts us in some tiebreakers that we'd get the short end of. I'm still not convinced it happens.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-27-2018, 10:04 AM
I'm down. Plus, that final game against the Chargers is 1) at home and 2) the Chargers might not have anything to play for (i.e. playoff position already known).

San Diego would play with heart even if just for the possibility of knocking us out of the playoffs. The last game on the schedule is the toughest game we have left even if they are out of contention, which I doubt they will be.

BroncoWave
11-27-2018, 10:06 AM
San Diego would play with heart even if just for the possibility of knocking us out of the playoffs. The last game on the schedule is the toughest game we have left even if they are out of contention, which I doubt they will be.

He's not saying they would be out of contention, he's saying they would have their playoff seed locked up and will be resting guys. There is a very high chance they will be locked into the 5 seed by week 17.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-27-2018, 10:08 AM
He's not saying they would be out of contention, he's saying they would have their playoff seed locked up and will be resting guys. There is a very high chance they will be locked into the 5 seed by week 17.

That makes sense.

BroncoJoe
11-27-2018, 10:12 AM

Yep - this.

Freyaka
11-27-2018, 10:12 AM

Lol oh the difference two wins makes in a persons attitude.

Freyaka
11-27-2018, 10:13 AM

I think we'll end up taking LA's playoff spot TBH. They face the Steelers this week (without Gordon as he's out for the game) and the Chiefs. If they lose both of those games, and we win out and beat them, the chargers won't be going to the playoffs.

BroncoWave
11-27-2018, 10:14 AM
I could see us losing to Cleveland to be honest. They are playing very well right now. If they had a different coach all season they are probably a playoff team.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-27-2018, 10:16 AM
I could see us losing to Cleveland to be honest. They are playing very well right now. If they had a different coach all season they are probably a playoff team.

They’re definitely not gimme, especially at home. They have some playmakers.

Freyaka
11-27-2018, 10:16 AM

That's the game I've got circled as the hardest remaining on our schedule honestly. I think we can take them, but that's gonna be a challenge stopping Baker. We're going to need to have a hell of a pass rush that week.

Freyaka
11-27-2018, 10:17 AM
They’re definitely not gimme, especially at home. They have some playmakers.

We're playing them in Denver not Cleveland. They are 1-26 in away games (though a lot of that was under a terrible previous coach)

Davii
11-27-2018, 10:58 AM

There's just as high a chance that the winner of our week 17 game gets the 6 seed. Chargers still play Pitt, KC, Balt, Cin, and us.

Say we win out and SD beats only Cincinnati. What then?

Freyaka
11-27-2018, 11:18 AM
There's just as high a chance that the winner of our week 17 game gets the 6 seed. Chargers still play Pitt, KC, Balt, Cin, and us.

Then my friend, I spend several days laughing my ass off. Our resident chargers troll over on the official forums is making a big deal about the predictions we have made that are wrong. One of them is that we will finish with a better record than the chargers (this was made at the beginning of the year) I don't think it has sunk in for him yet that his team has the Steelers, Chiefs, Ravens and bengals (and us) left on their schedule. They could very easily win 1-2 of those games and lose the rest and finish with a worse record than us. It will be poetic justice if that happens.

MasterShake
11-27-2018, 01:35 PM
Then my friend, I spend several days laughing my ass off. Our resident chargers troll over on the official forums is making a big deal about the predictions we have made that are wrong. One of them is that we will finish with a better record than the chargers (this was made at the beginning of the year) I don't think it has sunk in for him yet that his team has the Steelers, Chiefs, Ravens and bengals (and us) left on their schedule. They could very easily win 1-2 of those games and lose the rest and finish with a worse record than us. It will be poetic justice if that happens.

Wow didn't realize that Chargers schedule draws out like that. Almost the opposite of ours where everything before the BYE was a nightmare. Steelers will be pissed and maybe beat them handily, Chiefs will eat up their secondary, Ravens and Bengals... who knows. I'd love a final showdown at Mile High for the season if it played out like that!

BroncoWave
11-27-2018, 01:57 PM

The chargers folding is probably our best path into the playoffs honestly. The colts are on fire and probably getting in, and we lose a tiebreaker to the Ravens. So we need the chargers to lose a couple and either the Ravens or colts to fade down the stretch to get in. If SD gets in, our path to the 6 seed is tough.

Freyaka
11-27-2018, 02:12 PM
The chargers folding is probably our best path into the playoffs honestly. The colts are on fire and probably getting in, and we lose a tiebreaker to the Ravens. So we need the chargers to lose a couple and either the Ravens or colts to fade down the stretch to get in. If SD gets in, our path to the 6 seed is tough.

I've been running the different scenarios. If we share the same record with the colts, we're in. We need them to drop a game against either the Texans, Jags or Titans. All the games are division games and are all wildcards.

The Ravens hold a tie breaker over us. IMO they could be our biggest threat. In order for us to get even with the Chargers and take their spot, they need to lose to us, the steelers and chiefs. 3 losses brings us even at 10-6.

The biggest key, we have to win out. Period. Any loss from this point on will all but eliminate us.

BroncoWave
11-27-2018, 02:15 PM
I've been running the different scenarios. If we share the same record with the colts, we're in. We need them to drop a game against either the Texans, Jags or Titans. All the games are division games and are all wildcards.

The Ravens hold a tie breaker over us. IMO they could be our biggest threat. In order for us to get even with the Chargers and take their spot, they need to lose to us, the steelers and chiefs. 3 losses brings us even at 10-6.

The biggest key, we have to win out. Period. Any loss from this point on will all but eliminate us.

Yeah any loss makes the path in exceedingly difficult. We would need two of the following 3 to happen: colts lose 2 more, chargers lose 4 more, Ravens lose 3 more. That gets dicey.

Freyaka
11-27-2018, 02:21 PM
Yeah any loss makes the path in exceedingly difficult. We would need two of the following 3 to happen: colts lose 2 more, chargers lose 4 more, Ravens lose 3 more. That gets dicey.

As of right now, we win out, we only need the colts to lose one and for the chargers/chiefs to beat the ravens. or the colts or ravens to lose and the chargers to lose 3.

The second scenario isn't a difficult one since the Chargers have Pitts this week fresh off a stinging loss and no melvin gordon.

BroncoWave
11-27-2018, 02:27 PM
As of right now, we win out, we only need the colts to lose one and for the chargers/chiefs to beat the ravens. or the colts or ravens to lose and the chargers to lose 3.

The second scenario isn't a difficult one since the Chargers have Pitts this week fresh off a stinging loss and no melvin gordon.

I don't think this one necessarily works if the charges lose 3, Ravens lose 1, colts win out, we're out.

Timmy!
11-27-2018, 02:35 PM
Nice thing is the Ravens have a tough schedule. They get an underperforming but dangerous Atlanta team, and the shitty bucs, but have to deal with KC, the sparklers and browns who already beat them once.

BroncoWave
11-27-2018, 02:37 PM
Ultimately, 538 has us at about an 11% chance to make the playoffs and I think that's about right. We just need too many things to go right at this point. Winning 5 in a row is tough enough, and we need other help on top of that. It could definitely happen, but I still think we have a letdown in one of these games.

BroncoWave
11-27-2018, 02:41 PM
Even this week's game worries me a bit. Cincy is at home with a QB without much tape on him, and we could be due for a letdown after those two big wins. Everyone seems to have this one penciled in as a win, but I hope the team is taking them a little more seriously. I could very well see us all here on Sunday evening feeling stupid for thinking this team had a shot at the playoffs.

Having said all that I think we win the game, but I don't think it will be an easy one.

Timmy!
11-27-2018, 02:45 PM
Even this week's game worries me a bit. Cincy is at home with a QB without much tape on him, and we could be due for a letdown after those two big wins. Everyone seems to have this one penciled in as a win, but I hope the team is taking them a little more seriously. I could very well see us all here on Sunday evening feeling stupid for thinking this team had a shot at the playoffs.

Having said all that I think we win the game, but I don't think it will be an easy one.

It's an early game. If the Broncos are going to lose before the Chargers game, its this one.

BroncoWave
11-27-2018, 02:50 PM
It's an early game. If the Broncos are going to lose before the Chargers game, its this one.

The only two games left that I think are shoe ins are Oakland and SF. The other 3 I could see ways that we lose. I could also see us winning all 5. If nothing else, we'll have some games that mean something, which we haven't really had in a while.

Buff
11-27-2018, 02:50 PM

I feel stupid right now for all the playoff talk... We basically needed an act of god to beat the Steelers, and this is the same team that got blown out by the Jets, and the same coach we've all agreed is mostly incompetent. Absolutely nothing about this team indicates that they are ready to reel off 7 straight wins...

I'm encouraged by two consecutive wins against playoff teams, but the hole they dug themselves is probably too deep to crawl out of at this stage.

BroncoWave
11-27-2018, 02:52 PM
I feel stupid right now for all the playoff talk... We basically needed an act of god to beat the Steelers, and this is the same team that got blown out by the Jets, and the same coach we've all agreed is mostly incompetent. Absolutely nothing about this team indicates that they are ready to reel off 7 straight wins...

I'm encouraged by two consecutive wins against playoff teams, but the hole they dug themselves is probably too deep to crawl out of at this stage.

I tend to agree. The very soft schedule we have left is probably the biggest reason for the newfound hope, but I agree that 7 straight wins is a tall ask for what is still a flawed team in a lot of areas. If nothing else we're looking good to continue the streak of not having back to back losing seasons, which seemed unfathomable 2 weeks ago.

TXBRONC
11-27-2018, 03:22 PM
Any team that is dependent on the misfortunes of other teams has difficult road to the playoffs. Every scenario that puts Denver in playoffs his contingent on two teams losing games (Ravens and Colts). I don't think the Chargers are going completely implode. Leap frogging the Ravens and the Colts seems more plausible than the Chargers imploding. The Ravens have play both Chiefs and the Chargers on the road. The Colts have three divisional road games in their last five.

BroncoWave
11-27-2018, 03:35 PM
Oddly enough I think there's actually a better chance of us getting the help we need than of us running the table. If we do win out, I think the other teams around us probably have tough enough schedules that we get in. But winning out is the tough part, and probably not very likely to happen.

Freyaka
11-27-2018, 03:52 PM
I don't think this one necessarily works if the charges lose 3, Ravens lose 1, colts win out, we're out.

Well, according to the ESPN tool (which could fail to take specific tie breakers into account) that is the way it is. Though when I was figuring it up, I had the ravens 1 loss against the chargers. In that situation it's likely a situation where we have a tie breaker over LAC, LAC has a tiebreaker over BAL and so it goes onto secondary tiebreakers.

BroncoWave
11-27-2018, 03:53 PM
Well, according to the ESPN tool (which could fail to take specific tie breakers into account) that is the way it is. Though when I was figuring it up, I had the ravens 1 loss against the chargers. In that situation it's likely a situation where we have a tie breaker over LAC, LAC has a tiebreaker over BAL and so it goes onto secondary tiebreakers.

Ah yeah wasn't taking 3 or 4 way ties into account.

Tangerine
11-27-2018, 04:35 PM
Ultimately, 538 has us at about an 11% chance to make the playoffs and I think that's about right. We just need too many things to go right at this point. Winning 5 in a row is tough enough, and we need other help on top of that. It could definitely happen, but I still think we have a letdown in one of these games.

We won 6 in a row in 2011 with Tim "freakin" Tebow as the QB, it's certainly possible to do it again. Also, the 49ers won 5 straight (and 6 of 7) to close out last year.

The schedule is set it up for it. It starts on Sunday, this is another test for VJ and this team, they need to go on the road and beat a team they're supossed to beat. In the past, typically this is a game that Bronco teams lose. We always tend to lose games late in the season to teams we have no business losing too.

Off the top of my head, Titans in 2016, Raiders in 2015, Rams in 2014, Chargers in 2013, Bills in 2011, Raiders in 2009, Bills in 2008, 49ers in 2006.... you get the point.

BroncoWave
11-27-2018, 04:51 PM
We won 6 in a row in 2011 with Tim "freakin" Tebow as the QB, it's certainly possible to do it again. Also, the 49ers won 5 straight (and 6 of 7) to close out last year.

The schedule is set it up for it. It starts on Sunday, this is another test for VJ and this team, they need to go on the road and beat a team they're supossed to beat. In the past, typically this is a game that Bronco teams lose. We always tend to lose games late in the season to teams we have no business losing too.

Off the top of my head, Titans in 2016, Raiders in 2015, Rams in 2014, Chargers in 2013, Bills in 2011, Raiders in 2009, Bills in 2008, 49ers in 2006.... you get the point.

Of course it's possible, and I said as much. All 5 of those games are winnable, and we'll likely be favored in all 5. It's just tough to win 5 (and it would wind up being 7) straight games in the NFL. The guys on the other side are pros too. I just think we'll slip in a game or two and fall a bit short. We definitely have a real shot to run the table though, and I'm not ruling it out.

Tangerine
11-27-2018, 05:12 PM
Of course it's possible, and I said as much. All 5 of those games are winnable, and we'll likely be favored in all 5. It's just tough to win 5 (and it would wind up being 7) straight games in the NFL. The guys on the other side are pros too. I just think we'll slip in a game or two and fall a bit short. We definitely have a real shot to run the table though, and I'm not ruling it out.

Yep, 8-8 looks like the most likely outcome if I had to guess, as the final Wild Card spot goes to a 9-7 team. The Texans and Chiefs losses will likley haunt us. Hopefully I'm wrong...

Freyaka
11-27-2018, 05:37 PM
Yep, 8-8 looks like the most likely outcome if I had to guess, as the final Wild Card spot goes to a 9-7 team. The Texans and Chiefs losses will likley haunt us. Hopefully I'm wrong...

A rare time where I don't agree with Mike Hawk.

Poet
11-27-2018, 07:40 PM
The man had a point.

nevcraw
11-27-2018, 11:17 PM
This game does freak me out the most. 1:00 start against a physical team that have nothing to lose now. Vons ‘on to cinci’ makes me feel at least like they aren’t overlooking it.

BroncoWave
12-02-2018, 04:09 PM
Overall good day for us so far. Indy no longer a concern for us if we win out, just have to find a way past the Ravens or Chargers now. I think it's going to be tougher to get past the Ravens honestly. Tonight's Steelers-Chargers game is massive for us. We really need Pitt to win that one.

Poet
12-02-2018, 04:10 PM
If Baltimore has to go back to whaco flacco we good.

BroncoWave
12-02-2018, 04:11 PM
If Baltimore has to go back to whaco flacco we good.

They would be retarded to do that. Let's hope they do!

VonDoom
12-02-2018, 04:27 PM
Overall good day for us so far. Indy no longer a concern for us if we win out, just have to find a way past the Ravens or Chargers now. I think it's going to be tougher to get past the Ravens honestly. Tonight's Steelers-Chargers game is massive for us. We really need Pitt to win that one.

I doubt we're getting ahead of the Chargers. TBH, the best case scenario is that the Chargers have the five seed locked up by week 17 so they rest their starters to make it easier for us to win.

VonDoom
12-02-2018, 04:28 PM
If Keenum finds DT in that Chiefs game and if we don't turtle up for a 50 yard FG against the Texans, we could be 8-4.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-02-2018, 04:28 PM
I doubt we're getting ahead of the Chargers. TBH, the best case scenario is that the Chargers have the five seed locked up by week 17 so they rest their starters to make it easier for us to win.

Agreed, we need some teams to beat the Ravens.

VonDoom
12-02-2018, 04:33 PM
I still say 9-7 will not get it done for us, not with the logjam in the conference. We need to win out. Let's look at the other teams competing for that spot:

Dolphins (6-6) - vs Patriots, at Vikings, vs Jaguars, at Bills - they should lose at least one of the next two
Colts (6-6) - at Texans, vs Cowboys, vs Giants, at Titans - Texans game will be tough, and the Cowboys are suddenly playing real well.
Titans (5-6) - vs Jets (losing 10-0 at the moment), vs Jaguars, at Giants, vs Redskins, vs Colts - not terribly hard if they come back today. Colts game will give one of those teams at least seven losses though.

And of course, the Ravens (7-5) - at Chiefs, vs Bucs, at Chargers, vs Browns - those road games against our enemies will be very difficult. Have to actually root for the Chiefs and/or Chargers - ugh!

Freyaka
12-02-2018, 04:41 PM
Our path to the playoffs is easiest if the Steelers win tonight and the Chiefs beat the Ravens next week.

Then the Ravens game will come be beneficial to us no matter which team wins. If the Ravens win and we win out, we knock the chargers out. If the Chargers win, that'll put us up on the Ravens (assuming the Ravens lose to the Chiefs).

That's our best case scenario.

Go Chiefs/Steelers (just vomited a little)

VonDoom
12-02-2018, 04:49 PM
Our path to the playoffs is easiest if the Steelers win tonight and the Chiefs beat the Ravens next week.

Then the Ravens game will come be beneficial to us no matter which team wins. If the Ravens win and we win out, we knock the chargers out. If the Chargers win, that'll put us up on the Ravens (assuming the Ravens lose to the Chiefs).

That's our best case scenario.

Go Chiefs/Steelers (just vomited a little)

Again, our lives are easier if the Chargers have nothing to play for week 17. They only have three losses so a loss tonight guarantees us nothing on them even if we win out

Freyaka
12-02-2018, 04:52 PM
Again, our lives are easier if the Chargers have nothing to play for week 17. They only have three losses so a loss tonight guarantees us nothing on them even if we win out

They still have to play the Chiefs and the Ravens. A loss tonight sets it up so we have two paths into the playoffs, instead of just one. Can't trust the Ravens dropping games, they've been hot lately. Not gonna matter if the Chargers have nothing to play for in week 17 if we're just playing for self-respect.

BroncoWave
12-02-2018, 05:21 PM

I disagree. It's possible the chargers have nothing to play for in week 17 and the Ravens finish 3-1, only losing to SD, and we're drawing dead in week 17. We need as many possible paths in as possible, and SD losing games is one of those paths.

Tangerine
12-02-2018, 05:22 PM
Forget all these scenarios you guys are throwing out here, we could still win the division! That's right, Mike Hawk likes to dream big

slim
12-02-2018, 05:52 PM
I am becoming a believer

iLands
12-02-2018, 06:00 PM
At this moment, if we win out and the Chiefs lose out, we win the division.

BroncoWave
12-02-2018, 06:08 PM
At this moment, if we win out and the Chiefs lose out, we win the division.

Chargers would need to lose two more games (not counting against us) too.

BroncoWave
12-02-2018, 06:09 PM
If the chargers lose tonight, one path in becomes pretty clear. Win out and have the chargers lose one other game and we're in.

VonDoom
12-02-2018, 06:47 PM
I disagree. It's possible the chargers have nothing to play for in week 17 and the Ravens finish 3-1, only losing to SD, and we're drawing dead in week 17. We need as many possible paths in as possible, and SD losing games is one of those paths.

Fair enough, for both you and Frey. Chargers schedule is harder than I thought down the stretch. They could certainly come back to the pack a little

BroncoWave
12-02-2018, 07:22 PM
Been playing with the ESPN playoff scenario simulator and it looks like there is no way we lose any sort of tiebreaker with the colts, so as long as we win out we're ahead of them. Miami it seems would win a tiebreaker over us, so we need them to lose one more to be safe, which shouldn't be an issue. After that, it's pretty clear. We need to win out and have either the chargers lose two more or have the Ravens lose two more. If both of those teams go 3-1 over the last 4, we can't catch either. Very fortunate for us the chargers play the Ravens, so whomever loses that just needs one other loss somewhere.

VonDoom
12-02-2018, 07:26 PM
Been playing with the ESPN playoff scenario simulator and it looks like there is no way we lose any sort of tiebreaker with the colts, so as long as we win out we're ahead of them. Miami it seems would win a tiebreaker over us, so we need them to lose one more to be safe, which shouldn't be an issue. After that, it's pretty clear. We need to win out and have either the chargers lose two more or have the Ravens lose two more. If both of those teams go 3-1 over the last 4, we can't catch either. Very fortunate for us the chargers play the Ravens, so whomever loses that just needs one other loss somewhere.

Did you look at any scenario involving the Titans? They somehow came back to win that game and are 6-6 with a fairly easy schedule down the stretch

BroncoWave
12-02-2018, 07:41 PM
Looks like we're safe over Tennessee.

BroncoWave
12-02-2018, 08:32 PM
To the best of my knowledge, this is our current playoff scenario:

Broncos win out

AND 2 of the following 3:

Dolphins lose once

Ravens lose twice

Chargers lose twice (not counting their game against us).

There are other scenarios if we lose a game, but those would be highly unlikely.

As much as it hurts, we need to be big Steelers and Chiefs fans the next two weeks. If Pitt wins tonight and KC wins their next two (against the Ravens and Chargers), we're in if we win out and Miami loses one.

VonDoom
12-02-2018, 09:18 PM
I don’t buy Miami as a threat anyway. As I said earlier, they have the Patriots and Vikings in the next two weeks. I’d be shocked if they win both

BroncoWave
12-02-2018, 10:53 PM
So, interesting little wrinkle here if Pitt blows this game... They still have the Pats and Saints on their schedule. If they lose both of those, they finish 9-6-1. Which means we're in as long as we win out and the dolphins lose once.

BroncoWave
12-02-2018, 10:58 PM
Yep, I just ran it. If Pitt loses tonight, then they lose to the Pats and Saints, and the dolphins lose once, we are in regardless of what the Ravens and Chargers do. Reason being if Pitt goes 9-6-1 Baltimore either wins the division or finishes behind us at 9-7. That might actually be our easiest path in.

DenBronx
12-02-2018, 10:58 PM
Well, Chargers might beat the Steelers. Not sure how this will hurt our chances.

VonDoom
12-02-2018, 10:59 PM
Yep, I just ran it. If Pitt loses tonight, then they lose to the Pats and Saints, and the dolphins lose once, we are in regardless of what the Ravens and Chargers do. Reason being if Pitt goes 9-6-1 Baltimore either wins the division or finishes behind us at 9-7. That might actually be our easiest path in.

So I shouldn’t be mad that the Steelers are gagging this game away?

BroncoWave
12-02-2018, 11:13 PM
So I shouldn’t be mad that the Steelers are gagging this game away?

Maybe not!

BroncoWave
12-02-2018, 11:35 PM
Updated Broncos scenarios after this Steelers Chargers game.

Broncos win out.

2 of the following 4 happen:

Miami loses once

Ravens lose twice

Chargers lose twice (not counting against us)

Steelers lose twice

I think our best path in is Pitt losing to the Saints and Pats. It also helps us that the Chargers and Ravens play each other. Whomever loses just has to lose one other game. We definitely have a few paths in, just gotta win out, which is admittedly still a tall task. I don't see how we beat LA without CHJ, but you never know.

Canmore
12-02-2018, 11:52 PM
Updated Broncos scenarios after this Steelers Chargers game.

Broncos win out.

2 of the following 4 happen:

Miami loses once

Ravens lose twice

Chargers lose twice (not counting against us)

Steelers lose twice

I think our best path in is Pitt losing to the Saints and Pats. It also helps us that the Chargers and Ravens play each other. Whomever loses just has to lose one other game. We definitely have a few paths in, just gotta win out, which is admittedly still a tall task. I don't see how we beat LA without CHJ, but you never know.

You're a ray of sunshine.

dogfish
12-03-2018, 12:09 AM
I am becoming a believer

do you ride with VJ?

Freyaka
12-03-2018, 12:17 AM
If the chargers lose tonight, one path in becomes pretty clear. Win out and have the chargers lose one other game and we're in.

That's basically the easiest way. The Chargers will likely lose to the Chiefs and then BAM! win out and we're in!

BroncoWave
12-03-2018, 06:33 AM
That's basically the easiest way. The Chargers will likely lose to the Chiefs and then BAM! win out and we're in!

The chargers have to lose twice before our game.

VonDoom
12-03-2018, 06:48 AM
The chargers have to lose twice before our game.

This is now the long shot option. Chargers host the Bengals next week so that’s a win. They would have to lose to both the Chiefs and Ravens after that, then lose to us. While possible, I just don’t like those odds.

BroncoWave
12-03-2018, 07:00 AM
Agreed. Ravens still have KC and LAC and Steelers have NE and NO, so one of those hitting seems more likely. Might wind up being best for us for SD to have things locked up heading into week 17. My worry now is that they might still be in play for the division though.

BroncoWave
12-03-2018, 08:16 AM
According to 538, our playoff odds are now 21%, up from 11% last week. The key games for us this coming week are:

Baltimore @ KC
Pittsburgh @ Oakland
LAC vs Cincy

Looks like KC over Baltimore is the only help we have a real shot at getting, but the next week's games really have the best chance of helping us:

Pitt vs NE
LAC @ KC
Baltimore vs TB

If we can hold serve these next 2 weeks we'll hopefully be in good shape heading into the last two.

VonDoom
12-03-2018, 12:31 PM
Agreed. Ravens still have KC and LAC and Steelers have NE and NO, so one of those hitting seems more likely. Might wind up being best for us for SD to have things locked up heading into week 17. My worry now is that they might still be in play for the division though.

I think the best case for us would be the Chargers and Chiefs winning this week, the Chiefs beating the Chargers in KC the next week and the Chargers beating the Ravens in week 16. That way, Chiefs have the division locked up, Chargers are locked into the five seed and the Ravens have seven losses. Would be an ideal week 17 scenario

Buff
12-03-2018, 12:48 PM
According to 538, our playoff odds are now 21%, up from 11% last week. The key games for us this coming week are:

Baltimore @ KC
Pittsburgh @ Oakland
LAC vs Cincy

Looks like KC over Baltimore is the only help we have a real shot at getting, but the next week's games really have the best chance of helping us:

Pitt vs NE
LAC @ KC
Baltimore vs TB

If we can hold serve these next 2 weeks we'll hopefully be in good shape heading into the last two.

What an unbelievable bed shitting by the Steelers yesterday.

BroncoJoe
12-03-2018, 01:34 PM

Are you and Jaded brothers?

BroncoWave
12-03-2018, 01:57 PM

It might wind up working out better for us if VonDoom's see plays out but yeah, that was embarrassing.

BroncoWave
12-03-2018, 01:59 PM
I think the best case for us would be the Chargers and Chiefs winning this week, the Chiefs beating the Chargers in KC the next week and the Chargers beating the Ravens in week 16. That way, Chiefs have the division locked up, Chargers are locked into the five seed and the Ravens have seven losses. Would be an ideal week 17 scenario

Yeah, this is probably the most likely path in now. KC kinda concerns me now though. Losing Hunt hurts that offense possibly to the level the chargers or Ravens could steal one from them. If Baltimore beats KC this week we're probably screwed. Unless Pitt keeps collapsing and loses that division.

slim
12-03-2018, 02:00 PM
do you ride with VJ?

He has been my adopted Bronco for more than a year!!!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-03-2018, 02:05 PM
Yeah, this is probably the most likely path in now. KC kinda concerns me now though. Losing Hunt hurts that offense possibly to the level the chargers or Ravens could steal one from them. If Baltimore beats KC this week we're probably screwed. Unless Pitt keeps collapsing and loses that division.
San Diego might very well be playing for the division in the last game. However I don’t think KC misses a beat. The last game Hunt played in he only had 14 carries. That offense goes through Mahomes. Their major concern is their porous D.

BroncoWave
12-03-2018, 02:43 PM
At the end of the day, if you're relying on this much help at the end of season, you probably don't deserve to be a playoff team. If the stars align and we get in I'll take it, but don't lose games like to Houston and it won't be an issue. It is fun to be back in the race though. I missed that.

Northman
12-03-2018, 02:52 PM
I really thought the Steelers would beat them last night. Kind of surprised by the result so im not sure if the Chargers will lose any more games although im not sure who all they have left to play aside from us.

Tangerine
12-03-2018, 03:20 PM
At the end of the day, if you're relying on this much help at the end of season, you probably don't deserve to be a playoff team. If the stars align and we get in I'll take it, but don't lose games like to Houston and it won't be an issue. It is fun to be back in the race though. I missed that.

Pretty much every team this time of year needs help though. I can't remember a year (when we were contending) other than maybe '98 that we weren't watching some of the other games as closely as ours. Unless you have 1 loss or less at this point, you likley need some help.

Remember back in 2015, after losses to Oakland and Pittsburgh, with the Chiefs surging, there were scenarios that had us not even making the playoffs. Luckily everything worked out, and nobody remembers how close we came to missing the playoffs.

If (big if) we can get there, think about where things are right now. We somehow get the 6th seed and goto Houston, a team we almost beat, given another shot maybe we beat them. Then we goto KC, it's extremely difficult to beat a team 3 times in one season, without Hunt maybe we get them and are suddenly in the Championship game.

BroncoWave
12-03-2018, 03:20 PM
I really thought the Steelers would beat them last night. Kind of surprised by the result so im not sure if the Chargers will lose any more games although im not sure who all they have left to play aside from us.

Chargers have the Bengals next week then finish Chiefs-Ravens-Broncos. So that's a tough last 3 but ultimately the most deserving teams will rise from that scrum.

BroncoWave
12-03-2018, 03:22 PM
Pretty much every team this time of year needs help though. I can't remember a year (when we were contending) other than maybe '98 that we weren't watching some of the other games as closely as ours. Unless you have 1 loss or less at this point, you likley need some help.

Remember back in 2015, after losses to Oakland and Pittsburgh, with the Chiefs surging, there were scenarios that had us not even making the playoffs. Luckily everything worked out, and nobody remembers how close we came to missing the playoffs.

If (big if) we can get there, think about where things are right now. We somehow get the 6th seed and goto Houston, a team we almost beat, given another shot maybe we beat them. Then we goto KC, it's extremely difficult to beat a team 3 times in one season, without Hunt maybe we get them and are suddenly in the Championship game.

I'm pretty sure we still controlled our own destiny in 15 though. Those wild scenarios involved us losing, in which case we would have deserved to miss the playoffs. If we run the table to go 10-6, we'd certainly be a deserving playoff team if we got in, but if we run the table and still miss out, then we only have ourselves to blame for games like against Houston or getting blown out by the Jets.

VonDoom
12-03-2018, 03:35 PM

Until you said it yesterday, I wasn’t counting on the Steelers to collapse. But I could see it now, especially if Connor is hurt. They have a tough stretch and that tie could come back to haunt them

BroncoWave
12-03-2018, 03:55 PM
Until you said it yesterday, I wasn’t counting on the Steelers to collapse. But I could see it now, especially if Connor is hurt. They have a tough stretch and that tie could come back to haunt them

Yep, they still have to play the saints and pats. They lose those two and we win out, we're in regardless of what the chargers or Ravens do.

Freyaka
12-03-2018, 03:59 PM

Yea Connor going down hurts their shot. Honestly, I think they are going to slump out. The slump was already starting before they played us. They BARELY came back and beat the Jaguars, then lost to us, now they let the Chargers come back on them. They've got Connor possibly going down for an extended time and the Patriots and Saints coming up.

We'll see how it plays out, but we still have 2-3 possible paths to the playoffs so it's not an all or nothing where we're counting on one team to help us get in.

dogfish
12-03-2018, 04:09 PM

we know the chiefs are gonna choke against somebody. . . may as well be us, right?

BroncoWave
12-03-2018, 04:10 PM
My biggest worry is still that chargers game week 17. I think we really do have to pray they have nothing to play for in week 17, because if they have to win that game, I don't see how we beat them without CHJ.

iLands
12-03-2018, 04:13 PM
Appreciate all the updates on the situation as it has progressed, BroncoWave!

Davii
12-03-2018, 04:31 PM
My biggest worry is still that chargers game week 17. I think we really do have to pray they have nothing to play for in week 17, because if they have to win that game, I don't see how we beat them without CHJ.

I want to agree with you, but Yiadom did a great job matched up with AB when he was on him and was doing well against AJ before he went out.

We shall see. Missing Chris CERTAINLY hurts but I wouldn't doubt the D's ability to make up for it and have someone step up bigger than anticipated

BroncoWave
12-03-2018, 04:55 PM
I want to agree with you, but Yiadom did a great job matched up with AB when he was on him and was doing well against AJ before he went out.

We shall see. Missing Chris CERTAINLY hurts but I wouldn't doubt the D's ability to make up for it and have someone step up bigger than anticipated

I hope you're right. We shall see.

BroncoJoe
12-03-2018, 04:58 PM
Appreciate all the updates on the situation as it has progressed, BroncoWave!

Ditto!

tripp
12-03-2018, 06:55 PM
I'm hopeful for us, but I have serious doubts about Keenum. This guy needs to step it up and prove it in these last 4 games. The defense is playing LIGHTS OUT. O-line has figured it out, still waiting for #4 to figure it out.

It's frustrating to think we lost to the Texans by a missed FG, and somehow we got stomped by an awful Jets team.

BroncoWave
12-03-2018, 07:01 PM
I'm hopeful for us, but I have serious doubts about Keenum. This guy needs to step it up and prove it in these last 4 games. The defense is playing LIGHTS OUT. O-line has figured it out, still waiting for #4 to figure it out.

It's frustrating to think we lost to the Texans by a missed FG, and somehow we got stomped by an awful Jets team.

I think the biggest key to this 3 game winning streak is that Keenum hasn't turned it over at all. If he keeps doing that we have a chance in any game.

tripp
12-03-2018, 07:03 PM
I think the biggest key to this 3 game winning streak is that Keenum hasn't turned it over at all. If he keeps doing that we have a chance in any game.

It's true, and that is a credit to him 100%. Like I said yesterday during the game, I can't tell if it's Keenum, or the play calling, but the throwing plays are awful. Like most people said, it's both.. I don't see anything changing in the next 4 games, I just hope he finds some rhythm.

MOtorboat
12-03-2018, 07:16 PM
Five teams battling for one spot, by the looks of it.

Baltimore (second place in the North)
Miami
Denver
Indianapolis
Tennessee

It seems to me, Denver could really use Baltimore winning the North (head to head tiebreaker over the Steelers, though Pittsburgh’s tie renders that almost moot), and Houston to win the South because of head to head losses.

What are the tie break scenarios for the Broncos for Miami, Indy and Tennessee? Do this every year and I always forget the order of tie breakers ... conference record is after head to head?

Freyaka
12-03-2018, 07:24 PM
It's true, and that is a credit to him 100%. Like I said yesterday during the game, I can't tell if it's Keenum, or the play calling, but the throwing plays are awful. Like most people said, it's both.. I don't see anything changing in the next 4 games, I just hope he finds some rhythm.

I would say it's the o-line. We aren't giving up many sacks, Keenum plays at his best when not under pressure.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-03-2018, 07:59 PM
I would say it's the o-line. We aren't giving up many sacks, Keenum plays at his best when not under pressure.

That’s not exactly breaking news Frey. Tom Brady sucks under pressure.

iLands
12-03-2018, 08:14 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/ryanohalloran/status/1069708521246085121?s=09

BroncoWave
12-03-2018, 08:53 PM
Five teams battling for one spot, by the looks of it.

Baltimore (second place in the North)
Miami
Denver
Indianapolis
Tennessee

It seems to me, Denver could really use Baltimore winning the North (head to head tiebreaker over the Steelers, though Pittsburgh’s renders that almost moot), and Houston to win the South because of head to head losses.

What are the tie break scenarios for the Broncos for Miami, Indy and Tennessee? Do this every year and I always forget the order of tie breakers ... conference record is after head to head?

We own the tiebreaker over Tennessee and Indy, Miami owns it over us. If we win out, neither Tennessee or Indy can catch us. Just need Miami to lose one and we're good there.

Like I had said earlier, I think our best path in is Pitt losing to the Saints and Pats and to have SD lock up the wild card for week 17.

Northman
12-03-2018, 08:57 PM
Like I had said earlier, I think our best path in is Pitt losing to the Saints and Pats and to have SD lock up the wild card for week 17.

Thats probably the most likely scenario however it will still require us to win out which im still not sure we can do.

BroncoWave
12-03-2018, 09:01 PM
Thats probably the most likely scenario however it will still require us to win out which im still not sure we can do.

Yeah all the scenarios I laid out earlier involve us winning out. We could still get in with another loss, but that would be extremely unlikely.

Cugel
12-03-2018, 09:59 PM

Well, in 2015 the Broncos went 12-4, so it wasn't likely they wouldn't make the playoffs. Of course they might have lost the division to the Chefs. But, with Peyton averaging 12 wins a season that was never likely.

Frankly, it doesn't matter much whether the Broncos make the playoffs or not. They aren't going to do anything in the playoffs. But, so what? Last year they were 5-11. If this year they go to 9-7 that's a 4 game improvement - exactly what Elway was hoping for when he decided to keep Vance Joseph.

10-6 is quite a remarkable turnaround - even more so since it would mean winning 7 straight. 8-8 still probably keeps VJs' job for next season.

I'm OK with that. Unlike a lot of fans, I just don't think that the next "hot coordinator" is automatically going to be great. Lots of them aren't. And then you've wasted two or three more years with breaking in a rookie head coach.

Unless some proven veteran coach who is demonstrably superior is available, I'd rather just stick with Vance. No, he's certainly not an elite head coach. He's made some incredible bone-headed decisions both last year and this one.

But he does seem to be learning. The game plans have improved. Keenum looks a lot more comfortable in the new offense. They are running the crap out of the ball and playing tough scoring defense, even if they are giving up lots of yards. The 2018 draft class is turning out to be amazing with no less than six major contributors - Chubb, Sutton, Freeman, Jewel, Yiadom and Lindsay are all starting or playing significant minutes.

If Elway can draft like that next season we will have something!

Cugel
12-03-2018, 10:05 PM
We own the tiebreaker over Tennessee and Indy, Miami owns it over us. If we win out, neither Tennessee or Indy can catch us. Just need Miami to lose one and we're good there.

Miami is toast. Their remaining schedule is a murderers row: Patriots, @Vikings, Jaguars, and @Bills. They should beat the Bills, the rest are questionable. I'd guess 2-2. That won't get it done. The Titans (6-6) have it way easier: Jaguars (4-8), at Giants (4-8), vs. Redskins (6-5), vs. Colts (6-6). And the Colts have at Texans (9-3), vs. Cowboys (7-5), vs. Giants (4-8), at Titans (6-6). That's two tough games and two winnable ones.

I'd say the Broncos chances are less than 50-50 even if they win out, but who the hell knows at this point?

There are sill way too many playoff scenarios to sort.

MasterShake
12-04-2018, 12:23 AM
Regardless, if the Broncos manage to win out I will be a happy camper after how it looked this season was going. But if they win out, might as well take it a step further and knock out the Texans in the wildcard round and then the Chiefs after that. If that happened I would live as a lurker on Chiefs message boards until training camp.

Davii
12-04-2018, 01:33 AM
I hope you're right. We shall see.

Me too.

KCL
12-04-2018, 09:13 PM
Regardless, if the Broncos manage to win out I will be a happy camper after how it looked this season was going. But if they win out, might as well take it a step further and knock out the Texans in the wildcard round and then the Chiefs after that. If that happened I would live as a lurker on Chiefs message boards until training camp.

Why lurk? Just join in! :D

Simple Jaded
12-04-2018, 09:20 PM
Cugel ... Joel ... CuJoel.

TXBRONC
12-04-2018, 09:27 PM

I'm not sure how much more he could step up, I think he's at his ceiling. If he doesn't turn the ball over we stand a chance of winning.

Simple Jaded
12-04-2018, 09:33 PM

He needs to stay in his lane.

DenBronx
12-05-2018, 12:50 AM

I just wish he had played like this earlier. We could have won a couple more games and the whole playoff picture would look way different than it is now

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-05-2018, 01:20 AM
He needs to stay in his lane.

Haha, one of the other service managers where I work likes to tell the office manager to stay in her lane. It makes for good fireworks. I use the work “good” loosely in this instance.

Northman
12-05-2018, 09:20 AM
Its not that Keenum is playing all that well, its that he has managed not to turn it over (which is still big) but his play is still very erratic with running backwards instead of stepping up in the pocket and missing wide open receivers. Without Lindsey doing what he does and the defense doing just enough we have managed to get a few wins but god help us if we need Case to be the hero....

Freyaka
12-05-2018, 10:08 AM
Its not that Keenum is playing all that well, its that he has managed not to turn it over (which is still big) but his play is still very erratic with running backwards instead of stepping up in the pocket and missing wide open receivers. Without Lindsey doing what he does and the defense doing just enough we have managed to get a few wins but god help us if we need Case to be the hero....

In fairness though, he has been in this stretch when called upon. We don't win the Chargers game without some very nice QB'ing out of Case getting us into field goal range. He WAS the hero that day. I'm not trying to hype him up or anything, but he did save the day there.

Northman
12-05-2018, 11:04 AM
In fairness though, he has been in this stretch when called upon. We don't win the Chargers game without some very nice QB'ing out of Case getting us into field goal range. He WAS the hero that day. I'm not trying to hype him up or anything, but he did save the day there.

Unfortunately we need him to be the hero 90% of the time. Thats the sign of a franchise QB for me and he's not it. The sun shines on a monkey's ass and all that applies to Keenum. He has moments but they are very far and between and when we signed him that was not what we were supposed to get. We were supposed to get a guy who can take that position to the next level and he has failed to meet that expectation wouldnt you agree?

Freyaka
12-05-2018, 11:48 AM
Unfortunately we need him to be the hero 90% of the time. Thats the sign of a franchise QB for me and he's not it. The sun shines on a monkey's ass and all that applies to Keenum. He has moments but they are very far and between and when we signed him that was not what we were supposed to get. We were supposed to get a guy who can take that position to the next level and he has failed to meet that expectation wouldnt you agree?

I think that's the expectations that some fans set, but does that make it the right expectation?

No doubt we need better than we're getting, but Keenum is being Keenum.

Northman
12-05-2018, 11:52 AM
I think that's the expectations that some fans set, but does that make it the right expectation?

I think it is personally. When you see what is going on with the team since Manning's retirement it has always been about finding the next "guy". Elway obviously felt that Siemian and Lynch were not those answers or even Brock (the 2nd time around) for that matter. So if he went out to get what they believe and have said is "their guy" in Keenum than one could assume that they felt he was going to elevate the team with his play. They rolled the dice on him based off of his season with the Vikings previously so i think it is totally fair to expect him to play better than he has.

Northman
12-05-2018, 11:53 AM
If Elway and the brass did not feel that Keenum could be the guy than there was no reason to pay him more money when Siemian was a cheaper option.

Freyaka
12-05-2018, 11:54 AM
I think it is personally. When you see what is going on with the team since Manning's retirement it has always been about finding the next "guy". Elway obviously felt that Siemian and Lynch were not those answers or even Brock (the 2nd time around) for that matter. So if he went out to get what they believe and have said is "their guy" in Keenum than one could assume that they felt he was going to elevate the team with his play. They rolled the dice on him based off of his season with the Vikings previously so i think it is totally fair to expect him to play better than he has.

Even Elway himself referred to Keenum as a bridge.

He was never "that guy" he was the guy who will keep us going until we find that guy.

Some fans like top (and I admit, I helped in feeding it) hyped him up as the future, but he isn't, and never was. He has always been a temporary solution that is a means to an end of eventually finding the future QB for this team. At the time we signed him, Elway was hoping he could polish the turd that was Paxton or make Chad into a star. Neither have happened and so we're stuck with a bridge to nowhere.

Poet
12-05-2018, 11:55 AM
We are seeing something in between garbage Keenum and Keenum from last year.

Freyaka
12-05-2018, 11:58 AM
If Elway and the brass did not feel that Keenum could be the guy than there was no reason to pay him more money when Siemian was a cheaper option.

Siemian was a bad QB, I'm not sure we're even in the conversation for playoffs this year with T-Sim sucking it up... Keenum has been mediocre, but we're where we are because he got past his turnoveritus and has been mediocre and not turned the ball over.

T-sim was a turnover machine and I'm not sure he would be capable of ever getting past that with us.

Freyaka
12-05-2018, 11:59 AM
We are seeing something in between garbage Keenum and Keenum from last year.

What we're seeing IS Keenum from last year, when his WR's aren't making him look like a god with absurd YAC.

Poet
12-05-2018, 12:01 PM
What we're seeing IS Keenum from last year, when his WR's aren't making him look like a god with absurd YAC.

Last year he was good at avoiding pressure. He has regressed, albeit the team he's around isn't as strong.

Northman
12-05-2018, 12:04 PM
albeit the team he's around isn't as strong.

I dont know about that, Denver's running game is better than he had with the Vikings. Granted. last year the Vikings D was better than this years Denver D but a good QB can make up for that by putting more points on the board. And even when DT was here he was unable to fully utilize the WR corp which is very good in Denver. The only good thing about the last 3 games is his ability not to turn the ball over (knock on wood).

Freyaka
12-05-2018, 12:32 PM
I dont know about that, Denver's running game is better than he had with the Vikings. Granted. last year the Vikings D was better than this years Denver D but a good QB can make up for that by putting more points on the board. And even when DT was here he was unable to fully utilize the WR corp which is very good in Denver. The only good thing about the last 3 games is his ability not to turn the ball over (knock on wood).

I think DT was hindering more than he was helping Keenum. That's not a knock on DT, but he just didn't fit here anymore. Sutton took a little time to adjust to the role, but he's getting there.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-05-2018, 02:59 PM

We would not be .500 with Siemian right now. Case may be a journeyman/backup, but I’d still rather have him.

sneakers
12-05-2018, 05:20 PM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/145/653/c64.jpg

Cugel
12-06-2018, 06:09 AM

Keenum likes to throw to his TEs. Last year he had Kyle Rudolph who got 57 receptions, 8 TDs and was named to to the Pro-Bowl and 1st Team All-Pro honors. This year his leading TE is Jeff Heurman who has 2 TDs and 3 broken ribs and is on IR. :coffee:

Poet
12-06-2018, 07:53 AM
He was an all-pro, with those numbers?

TXBRONC
12-06-2018, 08:58 AM

Imho the reason Keenum is here is because he's a little stronger mentally than Siemian. Ability wise there doesn't seem to be that much difference, again imo.

Davii
12-06-2018, 03:22 PM

Disagree. It was OBVIOUS Siemian wasn't the answer, the was a CHANCE Case was or could be. If Elway thought he was for sure he would've offered a longer contract. 2 years is nothing inn the NFL and is definitely not a long-term deal, it's a "prove it" deal with a nice paycheck attached.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-06-2018, 04:33 PM
I think we’d be 4-8 if we had Siemian. He was a turnover machine last year.

BroncoJoe
12-06-2018, 05:32 PM
Case is clearly an upgrade over what we've experienced the past two years.

Magnificent Seven
12-06-2018, 06:26 PM
I can see the difference between Keenum and Siemian. Keenum is an upgrade on offense. Broncos have to win all 4 games and it will be somewhat tough without WR Sanders and CB Harris Jr.

WR Sanders is out. I hope RB Lindsay can play Slot WR in several passing plays. It would be fun to watch Lindsay play Slot WR for several plays. RB Royce Freeman and FB Janovich are there on the field.

Hawgdriver
12-06-2018, 08:59 PM
I think we’d be 4-8 if we had Siemian. He was a turnover machine last year.

His balls never completely dropped. Tough dude in that he took his medicine, but too panicky in the moment. Keenum, for all his many warts, definitely has fully descended testes. They dropped so suddenly they pulled his head down to his shoulders, rendering him big-balled but neckless.

Hawgdriver
12-06-2018, 09:02 PM
I can see the difference between Keenum and Siemian. Keenum is an upgrade on offense. Broncos have to win all 4 games and it will be somewhat tough without WR Sanders and CB Harris Jr.

WR Sanders is out. I hope RB Lindsay can play Slot WR in several passing plays. It would be fun to watch Lindsay play Slot WR for several plays. RB Royce Freeman and FB Janovich are there on the field.

They should at least split out Lindsay on 2 RB plays with an abbreviated route template. A lot to ask to turn your RB into a WR in a week.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-06-2018, 09:15 PM
They should at least split out Lindsay on 2 RB plays with an abbreviated route template. A lot to ask to turn your RB into a WR in a week.

Especially considering the workload he carries at running back.

Hawgdriver
12-06-2018, 09:21 PM
Especially considering the workload he carries at running back.

I do like the idea of getting him in space with a head of steam. Borrow some Sproles footage and do that stuff. He'd get the tiny windows he needed for explosive gains on the most innocuously developing plays.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-06-2018, 09:56 PM
I do like the idea of getting him in space with a head of steam. Borrow some Sproles footage and do that stuff. He'd get the tiny windows he needed for explosive gains on the most innocuously developing plays.
I agree, but they need to limit his carries if they’re going to do that. I want the guy to be effective for more than 2-3 years. The way Sproles has been used is an excellent example. He doesn’t get 25 touches a game, and never has.

Hawgdriver
12-06-2018, 10:18 PM
I don't know if this comparison is ridiculous or not, but Lindsay reminds me a little of Jerome Bettis in his style--decisive, north/south, vision in confined spaces. He's like the 5'8" 190# Bus. With a hint of Shady/Sanders, but not quite as 'jukey' as either. A north/south producer.

Northman
12-06-2018, 10:26 PM
Lindsey reminds me of Sproles or Dunn.

Hawgdriver
12-06-2018, 10:32 PM
Oh yeah, Dunn for sure. Best comp I've seen.

Poet
12-06-2018, 11:39 PM
Oh yeah, Dunn for sure. Best comp I've seen.

He runs like Marshall Faulk, imo.

Hawgdriver
12-07-2018, 01:27 AM
He runs like Marshall Faulk, imo.

I was looking at Faulk tonight some. There are some similarities for sure. Lindsay is so downhill though. He is so decisive and quick to attack. Bettis and Dunn really jumped out at me with those two traits, but his size/speed are closer to Faulk and Shady Whoever he is, he's definitely Phillip Lindsay.

Poet
12-07-2018, 01:40 AM
I was looking at Faulk tonight some. There are some similarities for sure. Lindsay is so downhill though. He is so decisive and quick to attack. Bettis and Dunn really jumped out at me with those two traits, but his size/speed are closer to Faulk and Shady Whoever he is, he's definitely Phillip Lindsay.

I'm just happy we have him.

He's also a lot of fun. It's nice to have a fun player who is doing well.

Magnificent Seven
12-07-2018, 03:26 AM
This Sunday will be Broncos' first test without WR Demaryius Thomas and WR Emmanuel Sanders! By the way, I will be at Disneyland this weekend. I will probably watch the Broncos vs Niners game through by NFL Sunday Ticket app on my iPhone Xs while standing in a line for ride. :D

BroncoWave
12-09-2018, 08:36 AM
Just as a reminder these are our current scenarios as well as the games of note for us today:

Denver wins out

AND two of the following four happen:

Miami loses once

Los Angeles loses twice (not counting against us)

Pittsburgh loses twice

Baltimore loses twice

These are the games of note today:

Indy at Houston: While we already have the tiebreaker over Indy, we don't want Houston falling into to wildcard pool, due to our loss to them. There is currently only one way Houston could finish 10-6 and lose the division which is our nightmare scenario. Houston has to finish 1-3, that one win HAS to be against Philly, and either Tennessee or Indy has to win out. So that's a very unlikely scenario, but Houston winning today puts us in the clear.

Baltimore @ KC: Definitely a big KC fan today. Helps knock the Ravens back, and we want KC to keep winning so that the Chargers won't still have a shot to win the division in week 17. Ideally we want the chargers to be locked into the 5 seed week 17. If we had to pick only one game to go our way today it's this one. Baltimore winning would be very bad for us on multiple fronts.

New England @ Miami: This one is pretty important because we would lose a tiebreaker with Miami. Just need them to lose one to be safe there.

Cincy @ LA: as counterintuitive as this seems, we probably want LA to win this. We really don't want them having anything to play for in week 17.

Pitt @ Oakland: Obviously we would love the upset here, but probably a fat chance.

So there it is! Happy gameday everyone!

VonDoom
12-09-2018, 09:38 AM
Good stuff, Wave. Both tonight and tomorrow night’s games are NFC only so by the time our game ends today, we will have a complete updated AFC playoff picture

VonDoom
12-09-2018, 06:00 PM
Wave, I’m sorry you wasted your time on all these scenarios. We won’t be needing them anymore

BroncoJoe
12-09-2018, 06:15 PM
Wave, I’m sorry you wasted your time on all these scenarios. We won’t be needing them anymore

It's not over yet, doom & gloom!

BroncoWave
12-09-2018, 06:29 PM

I'm still going to do them until the second we get eliminated because I hate myself apparently. :lol:

Davii
12-09-2018, 06:38 PM
I'm still going to do them until the second we get eliminated because I hate myself apparently. :lol:

Must. Not. Make. Joke.

:lol:

BroncoWave
12-09-2018, 07:31 PM
Well here goes. You guys thought it was bleak now? Well, you were right. Here is the post mortem:

We officially cannot pass San Diego. That means our only faint hope is for the 6 seed. We also completely squandered gifts from the Ravens and Steelers. To make the playoffs we have to:

Win out.

All of the following need to happen:

Pitt loses twice OR Baltimore loses twice

Tennessee loses once.

Indy loses once.

Miami loses twice.

We probably also need a Houston win to be safe but I haven't fully checked that one.

So there it is. The slimmest of hopes.

We can also be eliminated this week. That scenario would be:

Loss + Ravens win AND Steelers win.

OR

Loss + Dolphins win

Poet
12-09-2018, 07:31 PM
My god. You really do hate yourself.

Northman
12-09-2018, 07:34 PM
We had a chance and it passed.

Davii
12-09-2018, 07:36 PM
Well here goes. You guys thought it was bleak now? Well, you were right. Here is the post mortem:

We officially cannot pass San Diego. That means our only faint hope is for the 6 seed. We also completely squandered gifts from the Ravens and Steelers. To make the playoffs we have to:

Win out.

Tennessee loses once.

Indy loses once.

Miami loses twice.

We probably also need a Houston win to be safe but I haven't fully checked that one.

OR

Loss + Dolphins win

I’m going to hold the messenger personally responsible.

BroncoWave
12-09-2018, 08:00 PM
What sucks is most of those scenarios we need are pretty plausible. Pitt still has to play the Pats and Saints so that could be their two losses. Indy plays Tennessee so one of those will definitely lose, would just need the other to lose one somewhere. Then Miami is at Minnesota this week, but finish against the bills and Jets which both seem like likely wins. It can't been overstated how much of an opportunity we squandered with both Pitt and Baltimore losing today.

Hawgdriver
12-09-2018, 08:05 PM
What is their pct now? I'd guess 1-2%.

Freyaka
12-09-2018, 08:06 PM
It's not over yet, doom & gloom!

Lol ok Joe. We just lost to a 2 win team. Even if we DO get in, we don't deserve it.

BroncoWave
12-09-2018, 08:08 PM
What is their pct now? I'd guess 1-2%.

5% now according to 538. That Steelers loss helped a bit.

OrangeHoof
12-09-2018, 08:11 PM
Well, our season began with not being able to cover a tight end nobody had ever heard of and essentially ends with not being able to cover a tight end virtually nobody had ever heard of. There's a symmetry there.

Northman
12-09-2018, 08:15 PM
Its not new, Denver has never been good at covering the TE but people on this board act surprised when a team actually exploits that weakness. My god, people are stupid.

MOtorboat
12-09-2018, 08:17 PM
Its not new, Denver has never been good at covering the TE but people on this board act surprised when a team actually exploits that weakness. My god, people are stupid.

Who was surprised?

BroncoWave
12-09-2018, 08:41 PM
So I had it slightly wrong in regards to our elimination scenarios next week. I just ran everything through the playoff simulator. We will be eliminated next week if:

Loss + one of the following

Titans win

Dolphins win

Steelers AND Ravens win

I was able to find ways in having only the Ravens win and only the Steelers in. I think these are the only scenarios that eliminate us. It's possible some combination of ties could but I didn't look into that.

Hawgdriver
12-09-2018, 08:59 PM
5% now according to 538. That Steelers loss helped a bit.

5% is better than 0.

BroncoJoe
12-09-2018, 09:11 PM
Lol ok Joe. We just lost to a 2 win team. Even if we DO get in, we don't deserve it.

That was posted before the end of the game.

Timmy!
12-10-2018, 04:17 AM
No.

Cugel
12-10-2018, 10:23 AM

Win out.

Tennessee loses once.

Indy loses once.

Miami loses twice.

OR

Loss + Dolphins win

Let's just see if they can beat the Browns. That is not a given at this point.

Poet
12-10-2018, 10:24 AM
Eye of the Tiger!

Freyaka
12-10-2018, 10:44 AM

People are stupid for being annoyed that we can't fix an obvious flaw in the defense?

No one is shocked that the flaw is still there, but it's not unreasonable to expect something to be done to address it. Doesn't matter how long it has been an issue, that doesn't mean it just needs brushed off and forgotten.

"Oh, but it's always been that way" oh ok, then nevermind, it's ok that it's a huge costly issue, if it's been that way for ages, can't mess with tradition.

Freyaka
12-10-2018, 10:45 AM
That was posted before the end of the game.

Fair enough.

BroncoWave
12-10-2018, 10:51 AM
Let's just see if they can beat the Browns. That is not a given at this point.

Yes, duh. Congrats on completely missing the point of these posts. :lol:

Cugel
12-10-2018, 10:52 AM
Yes, duh. Congrats on completely missing the point of these posts. :lol:

Yes, missing my snark, too. :coffee:

Northman
12-10-2018, 02:52 PM
People are stupid for being annoyed that we can't fix an obvious flaw in the defense?

No, they are stupid because they still act surprised when it happens especially when they know full well that right now the Broncos dont have the personnel to deal with it. But you know what is REALLY annoying? Being unable to score a single point in the first half vs a 2-10 team. Yea, that is ******* really annoying.

Freyaka
12-10-2018, 02:59 PM
No, they are stupid because they still act surprised when it happens especially when they know full well that right now the Broncos dont have the personnel to deal with it. But you know what is REALLY annoying? Being unable to score a single point in the first half vs a 2-10 team. Yea, that is ******* really annoying.

We do have the personnel to deal with it, it's the scheme that is severely lacking.

But it is annoying that we couldn't score...Both are annoying.

GEM
12-10-2018, 03:00 PM

I don't think anyone is surprised on a game by game basis....I think it's mostly that it's been a ******* issue for over a decade and we still haven't figure it out. I think it's moreso that damn it we as fans knew that their biggest threat was a ******* tight end and the guy ran all over the d. Stick 3 guys on the *******. Or better yet, over a ******* decade find a mofo that can deal with a te.

You know what's annoying....the whole ******* thing.

GEM
12-10-2018, 03:01 PM
We do have the personnel to deal with it, it's the scheme that is severely lacking.

We really don't. Our LB's are weak sauce.

Northman
12-10-2018, 03:03 PM

Who do we have that can cover a TE? If you put a DB on him than you become vulnerable to the run. If you load up with LB's and try to have on cover the TE they get destroyed. We dont have any LB's that can cover TE's and havent had one for quite a while now. Its why ive been screaming for us to actually draft better LB's for the past 2-3 years.

Northman
12-10-2018, 03:03 PM

Exactly. Goddamn you are a smart cookie!

Freyaka
12-10-2018, 03:06 PM

We do and we have this season covered TE's. Yes our LB's (specifically ILB) do suck, but we are capable of stopping TE's. We kept Kelce mostly in check, kept the steelers TE's (james and McDonald) mostly in check. It's like stopping the run...We can do it, but we just randomly derp and forget how to for a game.

OrangeHoof
12-10-2018, 03:11 PM
Forgive me but didn't the Broncos win Super Bowl 50 by shutting down *everything* defensively, including a Carolina team notorious for big gains with their tight ends? Granted, times change and rules change but I was satisfied with their TE coverage not that long ago with an underappreciated Def. Coordinator.

Northman
12-10-2018, 03:21 PM
Forgive me but didn't the Broncos win Super Bowl 50 by shutting down *everything* defensively, including a Carolina team notorious for big gains with their tight ends? Granted, times change and rules change but I was satisfied with their TE coverage not that long ago with an underappreciated Def. Coordinator.

That had more to do with sacking and pressuring Newton than it was shutting Olsen down. The Panthers had no answer for our pass rush from Von and Ware and even though we have had decent pressure on Mullins it wasnt enough to disrupt his passing. I would also take a gander and say that Mullins is probably a more accurate thrower than Newton is from a QB standpoint.

OrangeHoof
12-10-2018, 03:38 PM
You mean we haven't been drafting enough pass rushers in the first round to keep our safeties from getting exposed?

Northman
12-10-2018, 04:17 PM
You mean we haven't been drafting enough pass rushers in the first round to keep our safeties from getting exposed?

No.

Poet
12-10-2018, 04:47 PM
It was nice to believe for a little while, I guess.

Albeit it...now that the ride is over...that draft stock hit that we took is a bitch.

I wonder if all the posters who only showed talking all that smack about those that are concerned with drafting position will be back?

Probably not - I love most of them, though. :D

TXBRONC
12-10-2018, 07:31 PM
Eye of the Tiger!

Whatever you say Hulkster!

Simple Jaded
12-10-2018, 10:45 PM

Albeit it...now that the ride is over...that draft stock hit that we took is a bitch.

I wonder if all the posters who only showed talking all that smack about those that are concerned with drafting position will be back?

Who was talking shit about those concerned with draft position?

Poet
12-10-2018, 11:49 PM
Who was talking shit about those concerned with draft position?

Dread, BDB, etc.

Freyaka
12-11-2018, 11:01 AM

They probably won't change their tune. They want to get as many wins as possible every year. 8 wins...doesn't matter, still 8 wins.

Nevermind the fact that it hurts us in the long run, better to roll around in mediocrity and get those meaningless wins!

Poet
12-11-2018, 11:03 AM
Those that live in the present can hardly fix the sins of those who dwell in the past.

Davii
12-11-2018, 03:39 PM
Those that live in the present can hardly fix the sins of those who dwell in the past.

And neither one can prove the other wrong.

OrangeHoof
12-11-2018, 09:27 PM
Nevermind the fact that it hurts us in the long run, better to roll around in mediocrity and get those meaningless wins!

Tanking seasons to get good draft picks is not a sure-fire way to win a title either. How long have the Chiefs been waiting for a Super Bowl? How many #1 picks have the Bengals squandered? Not to mention the Browns?

Somehow the Steelers and Patriots never need a year drafting in the Top 10 to stay competitive. I'm questioning the premise of "meaningless wins".

Northman
12-11-2018, 09:33 PM
Somehow the Steelers and Patriots never need a year drafting in the Top 10 to stay competitive. I'm questioning the premise of "meaningless wins".

Uh....because they already have QB's? Lol

Simple Jaded
12-11-2018, 10:48 PM
Dread, BDB, etc.

8-8 thinking builds 8-8 teams.

I’ve seen enough “wins” to last me a lifetime, I want more.

Poet
12-11-2018, 11:00 PM
Uh....because they already have QB's? Lol

Beat me to it.

Poet
12-11-2018, 11:01 PM
And neither one can prove the other wrong.

I mean, only if we can’t understand basic logic.

Cugel
12-12-2018, 12:42 AM

Everybody felt ambivalent. ON the one hand you want the team to go on a winning streak. But, on the other they had a top 10 pick. Plus, it was certain that Vance Joseph was going to be fired.

And now he might not be. In fact, if they had beaten SF he probably secured his job for next season. Now, not so much. He could lose out and still be fired, despite the 3 game winning streak. I don't know that 7-9 after 5-11 is really the improvement Elway is looking for.

Cugel
12-12-2018, 12:43 AM
Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post

Funny how having a multiple SB winning, Hall of Fame QB will do that for you. Let's just grab one of the many available, right now! :coffee:

Davii
12-12-2018, 02:35 AM
I mean, only if we can’t understand basic logic.

Your "logic" is also known as opinion

Davii
12-12-2018, 02:36 AM
Everybody felt ambivalent. ON the one hand you want the team to go on a winning streak. But, on the other they had a top 10 pick. Plus, it was certain that Vance Joseph was going to be fired.

And now he might not be. In fact, if they had beaten SF he probably secured his job for next season. Now, not so much. He could lose out and still be fired, despite the 3 game winning streak. I don't know that 7-9 after 5-11 is really the improvement Elway is looking for.

If 7-9 secures his job for another season Elway will get what he deserves, at least one more shitty season.

Cugel
12-12-2018, 12:33 PM
If 7-9 secures his job for another season Elway will get what he deserves, at least one more shitty season.

I think most fans would agree. But, what Elway does is another matter. He doesn't want to fire VJ because it reflects badly on him. That's why he extended VJ for this season. And there has been improvement over last season when they were getting blown out right and left. Just not enough improvement to create a winning record. Perhaps.

Poet
12-12-2018, 12:41 PM
I think most fans would agree. But, what Elway does is another matter. He doesn't want to fire VJ because it reflects badly on him. That's why he extended VJ for this season. And there has been improvement over last season when they were getting blown out right and left. Just not enough improvement to create a winning record. Perhaps.

He wanted to fire VJ last offseason, though. He was talked into keeping him.

Freyaka
12-12-2018, 12:53 PM

"allegedly"

But ya, VJ's seat is so hot that even Bill Billic....err....Satan won't sit in it.

BroncoWave
12-14-2018, 09:59 AM
Since we play tomorrow, here's a primer on what's in play this weekend.

To start, the result last night may or may not have been good for us. In good news, the Chargers are locked into a playoff spot now. In bad news, if they beat the Ravens next week and KC loses, the 1 seed will be in play for them. KC is at Seattle so that could definitely happen. In any case, let's take a quick look at the scenarios and this week's games of note. To make the playoffs:

Denver wins out.

Tennessee loses once.

Indy loses once.

Miami loses twice.

OR

Loss + Dolphins win

OR

Loss + Titans win.

Ok, now that that's all out of the way, let's take a look at the games of note this week.

Miami @ Minnesota: This is probably the most crucial game for us this week. Miami has to lose 2 of their last 3 for us to get in, and their last 2 are against the Bills and Jets. They probably aren't losing both, so they have to lose this one.

New England @ Pittsburgh: This is the other most crucial one for us. We need either Pitt or Baltimore to lose twice, and Pitt has the tougher schedule left. This game and the Saints game next week could be the road map to that scenario.

Dallas @ Indy: We still need Indy to lose once, and this is one of their tougher games left.

Tennessee @ NYG: We also need Tennessee to lose once, so hopefully the Giants stay hot.

Tampa Bay @ Baltimore: Probably a longshot, but Baltimore losing does help us here.

So there it is, our playoff hopes are still on life support, but I'll still be here with the scenarios until it's all over.

BroncoJoe
12-14-2018, 10:03 AM
My Broncos nutty daughter is really enjoying these updates, Wave. Thanks!

(she's not a member - I email them to her)

BeefStew25
12-14-2018, 10:03 AM
I’ve enjoyed this season.

BroncoJoe
12-14-2018, 10:21 AM
I’ve enjoyed this season.

As the #1 fan should.

Tned
12-14-2018, 10:28 AM
Thanks Wave, I came in here hoping to figure out if the Broncos still had a chance to "get in and anything can happen" and while it's a long shot, at least you've laid out what has to happen.

Northman
12-14-2018, 10:34 AM
We be losing tomorrow.

BroncoJoe
12-14-2018, 10:35 AM
We be losing tomorrow.

You shut your whore mouth!

Northman
12-14-2018, 10:38 AM

:lol:

OrangeHoof
12-14-2018, 10:55 AM
We beat the Steelers, the Seahawks, the Raiders and the Chargers. That's an enjoyable season to me, particularly coming off 2017.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-14-2018, 10:55 AM
We will get throttled by San Diego.

BroncoJoe
12-14-2018, 11:02 AM

. . .

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-14-2018, 11:04 AM
I knew that would procure a reaction. :D

Cugel
12-14-2018, 11:13 AM

He talked himself into keeping VJ. He was going to fire him at the end of last season, then he decided to go home and sleep on it. After a largely sleepless night spent pondering the question he came in the next morning and decided to keep VJ on for another season.

His reasoning was that VJ was a rookie head coach who was only DC for one season after a long career as an assistant backfield coach. He got promoted to D coordinator for 1 year and then the next, he's head coach. It's like some guy got promoted from being one of 32 vice presidents in a corporation to suddenly being the CEO two years later. It's quite a leap.

Nobody is still sure why Elway was so fixated on Joseph, other than the Colorado connection through his having been a Buffalo so he's been known here long time.

But, just looking at VJ's qualifications his resume has never been particularly impressive and so far, he hasn't been particularly impressive as a head coach.

He appears to me to be one of those examples of the Peter Principle: "In any organization a man who is successful at one level will be promoted, until ultimately he reaches his level of incompetence."

For many successful coordinators, they reach that level of incompetence as head coach. VJ may be one of them. Or it might simply be that he needs some time to learn and will be better in future. Perhaps in his next head coaching job after a couple more seasons. Or maybe never. We don't know for sure.

But, for now, he's certainly not a great head coach. And since the Broncos are very mediocre, especially on offense, with a mediocre QB in Keenum they can't win consistently with a mediocre head coach and offensive coordinator.

Of course, they don't have any TEs in a league that is built for pass-catching TEs. They went into the season with the plan that Jake Butt would be their #1 TE and Heuerman the backup and both wound up on IR. Then they traded DT and Sanders went on IR too. So, they are really down the depth chart on offense - playing a ton of rookies in key roles like Lindsay, Freeman, Sutton, and Hamilton.

Well, that's not going to be a smooth transition and it hasn't been pretty. The bigger concern for next season is finding a franchise QB in a draft where there might not be any, and certainly not at #18 or #19 wherever the Broncos end up picking in the later stages of the teens.

BroncoWave
12-14-2018, 11:26 AM

There is a very good chance they will be resting starters.

BroncoJoe
12-14-2018, 11:33 AM

My fear is out of spite, if the Broncos are still in it they'll play everyone. At least for a bit.

VonDoom
12-14-2018, 11:36 AM

If the Chiefs and Chargers both win next week, the Chargers will still be in play for the one seed. They would play everyone in that case

Tbolt
12-14-2018, 11:36 AM
The entire reason we have VaJ to begin with is that Stephen A. Smith and others like him gave Elway all sorts of grief for hiring his pal Kubiak instead of Todd Bowles or another minority candidate. Likely explains Elway's infatuation with pursuing VaJ as DC that year to blunt that criticism. I don't think he wanted that heat again, so decided the benefit of the doubt was in order. Made it easier to talk him into keeping him.

Elway has always been sensitive on this topic. Anyone remember when he was on 20/20 to talk about race relations?

That said, he still went the wrong way in that decision. Were we never in the running for former Denver RB/assistant Anthony Lynn? How the hell did the Chargers get him? I really like how he handled that game last night. No panic, and the move to go for 2 at the end was ala Shanahan. I don't think the Chargers are all that good, certainly don't think they are much better than our roster, but are tied for the best record in the AFC...

BroncoWave
12-14-2018, 11:39 AM
If the Chiefs and Chargers both win next week, the Chargers will still be in play for the one seed. They would play everyone in that case

True. We'll be big Ravens fans next week if we're still in it.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-14-2018, 11:44 AM

I think they’ll be playing for the West title, and/or a bye. Last night’s game really changed things.

Tbolt
12-14-2018, 11:55 AM
I expect us to lose to the Browns and it not matter one way or another. Last week proved we can't win without both CHJ and Hemanuel. I was expecting to see someone step up, that didn't happen. Losing both robbed us of a chance at a late season run. It happens to teams, look at the Redskins. They likely coast to that division title if Smith doesn't go down, and now probably don't win another game this season. In fact, I am not too sure we have another win left in us. I will be pulling for us to get hot, and make an improbable playoff run, but think 6-10 and top 10 pick is a whole lot more likely. So fans who care about the weekly outcomes got to get excited for a little bit, and people like King still get their coveted draft pick...Renew your season tickets now!