PDA

View Full Version : DT AND a 7th rounder for a 4th round

Broncoknight30
10-30-2018, 12:35 PM
Source: Broncos trade WR Thomas to Texans https://es.pn/2SvNBV5
via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

Sarah Barshop
ESPN Staff Writer
The Texans have traded a fourth-round pick and a seventh-round pick to the Broncos for wide receiver Demaryius Thomas and a seventh-round pick. The Texans were in desperate need of a receiver after Will Fuller tore the ACL in his right knee in Houston's Week 8 victory against the Miami Dolphins. Without Fuller, Houston had just one proven pass-catcher -- DeAndre Hopkins. Thomas' first game for Houston will be on Sunday in Denver.

--------------

My mistake, they got a 4th and 7th for DT.

Davii
10-30-2018, 12:36 PM
They could not have gotten more for that?

Apparently not.

wayninja
10-30-2018, 12:40 PM
They swapped 7th rounders.

wayninja
10-30-2018, 12:41 PM
I'm not really happy about this. I knew it was coming, I knew he wasn't going to stay a Bronco, but I'm sad to see him go.

NightTrainLayne
10-30-2018, 12:42 PM
Make Demarius a Bronco Again!

Damn.

Northman
10-30-2018, 12:45 PM
Im ok with it, he was wasting away on a shitty team. Let him try to finish on top again.

olathebroncofan
10-30-2018, 12:47 PM
watch...he will not drop another pass.

olathebroncofan
10-30-2018, 12:48 PM
Wait...so will he play this weekend?

Dapper Dan
10-30-2018, 12:49 PM
I’ll never forget you. <3

Northman
10-30-2018, 12:49 PM
The Bronco defense will probably allow him to go off for like 200 yds and 3 TDs this week.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-30-2018, 12:50 PM
He’ll probably do very well across from Hopkins not having to be the #1.

Poet
10-30-2018, 12:51 PM
Cooper went for a first because he is young and had a nice start to his career. DT went for less because he is older and starting to slow down a bit, albeit a lot of it has to do with the quarterback play.

I understand why the trade happened. This just makes me sad. I love him.

LawDog
10-30-2018, 12:51 PM
Good guy, good back story, flashes of brilliance. But pretty ambivalent about the move.

Shazam!
10-30-2018, 12:55 PM
I'll never forget the Tebow-DT catch vs. Pitt. He is etched forever in Denver Broncos history.

Hes way past his prime. Glad they unloaded him now.

Get ready for the Broncos 2019 Season. This team will not be recognizable.

Northman
10-30-2018, 12:55 PM
Cooper went for a first because he is young and had a nice start to his career. DT went for less because he is older and starting to slow down a bit, albeit a lot of it has to do with the quarterback play.

I understand why the trade happened. This just makes me sad. I love him.

It was coming regardless whether it happened now or at the end of the season. Rather have gotten something for him than not, he was never going to finish a Bronco anyway.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-30-2018, 12:57 PM
I think it’s just sad that DT has to go but Keenum and VJ remain...

... and people say DT was overpaid! :tsk:

Poet
10-30-2018, 12:58 PM
It was coming regardless whether it happened now or at the end of the season. Rather have gotten something for him than not, he was never going to finish a Bronco anyway.

I was hoping against hope that he'd restructure, we'd move Sanders, and DT would be the veteran the first round QB we (hypothetically) draft leans on.

I GET NOTHING!!!

:lol:

Timmy!
10-30-2018, 01:05 PM
Knew it was gonna happen. 2nd best WR in Bronco history. Thanks Bey-Bey. :salute:

Northman
10-30-2018, 01:05 PM

Technically he was but your point about Keenum and VJ is also accurate.

Canmore
10-30-2018, 01:33 PM
Wait...so will he play this weekend?

Probably. No reason he won't.

Davii
10-30-2018, 01:36 PM

For now...

MOtorboat
10-30-2018, 02:50 PM
This sucks.

Bronco4ever
10-30-2018, 02:59 PM
It stings to lose a guy like DT that has meant so much to this organization. At this point though, it's more sentimental to lose him that losing anything production wise. Long term, it'll be good to get Sutton, Hamilton, and Patrick more reps out there, and honestly they should do just fine. It would have been nice to get more than a 4th in return for DT, but we get to unload his contract and get something for him instead of cutting him in the offseason.

NightTerror218
10-30-2018, 03:12 PM
Future Ring of Farmer once he hangs them up, will always be a bronco.... Elway words

NightTerror218
10-30-2018, 03:13 PM
It stings to lose a guy like DT that has meant so much to this organization. At this point though, it's more sentimental to lose him that losing anything production wise. Long term, it'll be good to get Sutton, Hamilton, and Patrick more reps out there, and honestly they should do just fine. It would have been nice to get more than a 4th in return for DT, but we get to unload his contract and get something for him instead of cutting him in the offseason.

I call BS. We have been desperate for a #3 WR for years and we finally have 3 and trade 1 away for a bunch of unknown rookies who have no pushed for snaps.

dogfish
10-30-2018, 03:14 PM
This sucks.

sorry, homie. . .

Northman
10-30-2018, 03:16 PM
Future Ring of Farmer once he hangs them up, will always be a bronco.... Elway words

As he should be.

Cugel
10-30-2018, 03:27 PM
I'll never forget the Tebow-DT catch vs. Pitt. He is etched forever in Denver Broncos history.

Yup. It will look a lot more like a bad college team, and less competitive than it is right now. Yippee!

They are not done dumping players now or in the off-season. Look for them to blow up the team for the new coach and coaching staff, dumping Derek Wolfe, Domato Pecko, Brandon Marshall, Bradley Roby and Trumaine Brock from the defense, (UFAs and salary dumps), as well as their entire OL.

The only guy they would really want to bring back is C Matt Paradis, who is one of the best C's in the NFL and will command $10m or more a year on the open market. Ron Leary, Max Garcia, Jered Veldheer, Billy Turner, etc. - good-bye.

NO TEs on the roster either. Butt is totally unreliable from injury, and Jeff Heurmann is a UFA.

They will need about 15 new starters for next year including a rookie franchise QB. That's a recipe for 6-10 or worse in 2019 unless they just get amazingly lucky with a bunch of new draft picks - but they will be spending most of their draft on a rookie QB who won't be great his rookie year.

Northman
10-30-2018, 03:32 PM
https://scontent.fphl2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/45214505_2167094459981022_863949860049518592_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent.fphl2-1.fna&oh=b55786b1953caccff3db1e8b584bedbf&oe=5C8A95E3

DenBronx
10-30-2018, 03:34 PM
Thomas has alot of good memories here but...I am excited to see Cortland. Dude looks hungry to play. This sucks to see DT go but this is business and we have to play our young stars now.

Also, DT has had hip problems, ALOT of drops and he also isn’t producing like he has in the past. He is past his prime. I know it sucks to hear that from some of you but he’s not the same player.

Bronco4ever
10-30-2018, 03:34 PM
I call BS. We have been desperate for a #3 WR for years and we finally have 3 and trade 1 away for a bunch of unknown rookies who have no pushed for snaps.

You might call BS on this, but we don't have the QB to take advantage of having 3 quality WR options. So what good is having DT here? We are 3-5 and looking like a good bet for a second consecutive losing season. DT is nearly 31 and not getting any younger. When we can finally get a franchise type QB, DT will be close to retirement. As painful as it is, we needed to get value out of DT while we could.

Cugel
10-30-2018, 03:37 PM
You might call BS on this, but we don't have the QB to take advantage of having 3 quality WR options. So what good is having DT here? We are 3-5 and looking like a good bet for a second consecutive losing season. DT is nearly 31 and not getting any younger. When we can finally get a franchise type QB, DT will be close to retirement. As painful as it is, we needed to get value out of DT while we could.

They weren't going to keep him next year and they aren't going anywhere this year so it makes sense. It also made sense to dump Shane Ray, Bradley Roby, Derek Wolfe Brandon Marshall and Matt Paradis for the same reason, but they didn't do it. Probably not much market for any of them.

Paradis would be worth the most in a trade, but he's an UFA at seasons' end so that's out.

Northman
10-30-2018, 03:37 PM

Yea, i disagree with his BS take as well. The move makes sense and to let DT walk at the end of the year without any kind of compensation would be an incredibly moronic move by the FO. The season is already lost so giving a great player like DT a chance to ride out in glory if possible is a win/win for everyone involved.

DenBronx
10-30-2018, 03:40 PM

Our other WRs look pretty damn good too so I don’t know what you’re talking about.

slim
10-30-2018, 03:48 PM

Yeah, trade away an all-time great while hanging onto complete garbage at HC and QB.

Bullshit.

BroncoJoe
10-30-2018, 03:52 PM
https://i.gifer.com/2ny.gif

XXOO DT. Best wishes.

Broncoknight30
10-30-2018, 03:54 PM
DT > Dez

Remember that debate?

McDaniels was right about that one.

Shazam!
10-30-2018, 04:03 PM

Yup. It will look a lot more like a bad college team, and less competitive than it is right now. Yippee!

They are not done dumping players now or in the off-season. Look for them to blow up the team for the new coach and coaching staff, dumping Derek Wolfe, Domato Pecko, Brandon Marshall, Bradley Roby and Trumaine Brock from the defense, (UFAs and salary dumps), as well as their entire OL.

The only guy they would really want to bring back is C Matt Paradis, who is one of the best C's in the NFL and will command $10m or more a year on the open market. Ron Leary, Max Garcia, Jered Veldheer, Billy Turner, etc. - good-bye.

NO TEs on the roster either. Butt is totally unreliable from injury, and Jeff Heurmann is a UFA.

They will need about 15 new starters for next year including a rookie franchise QB. That's a recipe for 6-10 or worse in 2019 unless they just get amazingly lucky with a bunch of new draft picks - but they will be spending most of their draft on a rookie QB who won't be great his rookie year.

A good Coach alone could have dragged this team to 5x3 easily. That could be the difference maker. VJ handicaps this Team each and every game.

New Coach, new QB.

Bugs Baloney
10-30-2018, 04:27 PM
Really sad to see DT go, but excited to see Sutton step up and fill his spot.
Sutton is gonna have a great career. Let's hope we hang on to him for a long time!

Nomad
10-30-2018, 04:37 PM
Thanks for being a Bronco, DT. :salute:

Denver Native (Carol)
10-30-2018, 04:59 PM
Emmanuel Sanders
‏Verified account @ESanders_10
2h2 hours ago

This one brought me to tears. 5 years my brotha we gave the city all we had. You know the love runs deep between us. Our ties are bigger than football, this is a life bid. La familia. Love you @DemaryiusT — #Htown got a real one! #THUNDERandLIGHTNING

BeefStew25
10-30-2018, 05:29 PM
I want the Texans to make a solid playoff run now. DT came from nothing and has been classy as hell.

Simple Jaded
10-30-2018, 05:41 PM
Cool, trade an All-Time Great Bronco for what will inevitably be another useless college team captain.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-30-2018, 06:02 PM
Troy Renck
‏Verified account @TroyRenck
2m2 minutes ago

#Broncos @astronaut he will definitely hit DT if has chance "but I will help him up" #Denver7

Chris Harris
‏Verified account @ChrisHarrisJr
3h3 hours ago

@DemaryiusT hard to see my Boy go . 8 years of making each other better everyday . Ball out big bro just not next week lol

Matt Paradis
‏Verified account @two_dice
4h4 hours ago

I’ve got to play football and be friends with DT for almost 5 years now, and words can’t describe how great of a person and player he is. I will miss you @DemaryiusT good luck brother.

Troy Renck
2h2 hours ago

Interesting on @1043TheFan that @McClain_on_NFL said Luke Richesson highly recommended DT to #Texans. Luke is strength coach for Houston after long run in Denver #Denver7

BeefStew25
10-30-2018, 06:06 PM
Cool, trade an All-Time Great Bronco for what will inevitably be another useless college team captain.

No emo. Can’t be. Bay Bay understands it. Few if any players go out on their own terms. I’m glad he’s getting paid.

Oh. And he beat the ******* Steelers.

BeefStew25
10-30-2018, 06:07 PM

No emo. Can’t be. Bay Bay understands it. Few if any players go out on their own terms. I’m glad he’s getting paid.

Oh. And he beat the ******* Steelers.

Magnificent Seven
10-30-2018, 06:21 PM
Round 1: Own selection
Round 2: Own selection
Round 3: Own selection
Round 4: Own selection
Round 4: Texans selection (Traded DT to Houston)
Round 5: Own selection
Round 5: Vikings selection (Traded Siemian to Minnesota)
Round 6: Own selection
Round 7: Own Selection
Round 7: Texans selection?? (Traded DT to Houston)

BeefStew25
10-30-2018, 06:21 PM
He’s gonna come back in a couple years with his name on the stadium and a shiny SB50 ring and all will be well.

BroncoWave
10-30-2018, 06:24 PM
This trade worked out well for both teams. Houston gets another piece to help make a playoff run and we get a pick for a player whose days were likely numbered here anyway. Going to be very strange seeing him play against us right off the bat though.

Magnificent Seven
10-30-2018, 06:28 PM
This trade worked out well for both teams. Houston gets another piece to help make a playoff run and we get a pick for a player whose days were likely numbered here anyway. Going to be very strange seeing him play against us right off the bat though.

I think DT will not be playing this Sunday against Broncos. He has so much to learn Texans' playbook, etc.

BroncoWave
10-30-2018, 06:37 PM
I think DT will not be playing this Sunday against Broncos. He has so much to learn Texans' playbook, etc.

Bill obrien runs the same pats system that DT played in under MCD. I think he'll be able to pick it up well enough to play at least a little.

wayninja
10-30-2018, 06:48 PM

I completely agree and understand what you are saying but this feels like a huge indictment of our FO and coaching. We could have gotten more for him last year, so if we were just going to resign ourselves to the same ******* stupid coaching staff and the same shitty QB mentality, we should have stockpiled picks and did the fire sale thing a while ago.

BeefStew25
10-30-2018, 07:00 PM
DT had four teams pining for him.

Dez is at home tweeting.

Warms my heart.

NightTerror218
10-30-2018, 07:00 PM
I completely agree and understand what you are saying but this feels like a huge indictment of our FO and coaching. We could have gotten more for him last year, so if we were just going to resign ourselves to the same ******* stupid coaching staff and the same shitty QB mentality, we should have stockpiled picks and did the fire sale thing a while ago.

I felt there was more value reworking his contract to stayandretire a bronco and show loyality. Behind Sutton all the rookies are unknown and have not impressed much outside of 2 catches from Patrick.

I feel coaching change would have been a better thing for this team now and long term. Rather then jetting the longest tenured bronco and locker room fav.

Elway sucks at drafting offense so Sutton is the only WR out of about 10 to be worth a damn. I doubt he hit a homerun with 2 WR in 1 draft class. We could be back to square one complain g we need a #3 again.

BeefStew25
10-30-2018, 07:02 PM
I felt there was more value reworking his contract to stayandretire a bronco and show loyality. Behind Sutton all the rookies are unknown and have not impressed much outside of 2 catches from Patrick.

I feel coaching change would have been a better thing for this team now and long term. Rather then jetting the longest tenured bronco and locker room fav.

Elway sucks at drafting offense so Sutton is the only WR out of about 10 to be worth a damn. I doubt he hit a homerun with 2 WR in 1 draft class. We could be back to square one complain g we need a #3 again.

Close your eyes and imagine.

Texans cut him after this season

He comes back on a team friendly deal.

And we get the draft picks.

Open your eyes. And kiss me.

Dapper Dan
10-30-2018, 07:08 PM
Which one of the white TEs with a season ending injury can we get in the 4th? I’m excited.

BeefStew25
10-30-2018, 07:15 PM
Which one of the white TEs with a season ending injury can we get in the 4th? I’m excited.

Scheffler

Dapper Dan
10-30-2018, 07:19 PM
Scheffler

If we could only be so lucky.

wayninja
10-30-2018, 07:19 PM

Feels like we have a long way to go just to get back to square 1.

Northman
10-30-2018, 07:31 PM
We are rebuilding anyway, square 1 was coming whether it is now or after the season.

aberdien
10-30-2018, 07:39 PM
I will miss his understated and classy demeanor and way that he approached the game. I hope he balls out with the Texans.

https://twitter.com/bylindsayhjones/status/1057320912226181120

Northman
10-30-2018, 07:42 PM
Well that is sweet.

Poet
10-30-2018, 07:53 PM
I think there are plenty of fans who are happy that DT never got to break Rod Smith's records.

Broncoknight30
10-30-2018, 08:00 PM
I will miss his understated and classy demeanor and way that he approached the game. I hope he balls out with the Texans.

https://twitter.com/bylindsayhjones/status/1057320912226181120

Imo, the main reason he was not appreciated, was mainly to the fact he was drafted by evil McDaniels over Dez Bryant. Already Broncos fans had a bad taste in their mouth from that fact. That is my theory.

Turns out he was the better pick.

Simple Jaded
10-30-2018, 08:17 PM
Wish I could believe this team will lose enough to get a high draft pick but I see middle of the draft order for the foreseeable future and I don’t see them drafting a highly skilled QB anyway.

Win a SB ... then spend the next decade in .500 nowhere land. That’s the Broncos standard.

Northman
10-30-2018, 08:17 PM
https://scontent.fphl2-4.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/45195563_188944255354637_6138035649313243136_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent.fphl2-4.fna&oh=ce1a479bc34cb0ce72fc83360e67c54d&oe=5C865E05

BeefStew25
10-30-2018, 08:21 PM
I think there are plenty of fans who are happy that DT never got to break Rod Smith's records.

It’s because DT is black.

BroncoWave
10-30-2018, 08:46 PM
So was DT our last remaining player from the MCD era? Who does that make our longest tenured player now? Von?

Simple Jaded
10-30-2018, 09:13 PM
Elway got Julius Thomas in the 4nth round, unfortunately ... here are the rest:

‘11 Quenton Carter S
‘12 Omar Bolden CB
‘12 Philip Blake C
‘13 Traded down
‘14 Traded down
‘15 Max Garcia G/Turnstile
‘16 Devontae Booker RB
‘17 Traded down
‘18 Josey Jewell ILB
‘18 Deasean Hamilton WR

I wouldn’t trade DT for all of these players.

I wouldn’t trade Keenum for all of these players.

Luckily, the 4th round is the sweet spot for the Scrappy-Try-Hard-Coach-On-The-Field type everyone loves.

BroncoWave
10-30-2018, 09:28 PM
You realize he was going to get cut this off-season regardless, right? Would you rather us have gotten nothing for him?

Dapper Dan
10-30-2018, 09:29 PM
Why would anyone sign a back loaded contract knowing Elway will get rid of them in their last year or two?

BroncoWave
10-30-2018, 09:36 PM
Why would anyone sign a back loaded contract knowing Elway will get rid of them in their last year or two?

Annual salary is meaningless in NFL contracts. It's all about the guaranteed money. Player gets a big signing bonus up front and the annual salary is loaded at the back. That isn't really an Elway specific thing, I think you see that pretty much across the league now.

Elway at least did right by DT trading him somewhere that will likely let him play out that contact.

BeefStew25
10-30-2018, 09:37 PM
Annual salary is meaningless in NFL contracts. It's all about the guaranteed money. Player gets a big signing bonus up front and the annual salary is loaded at the back. That isn't really an Elway specific thing, I think you see that pretty much across the league now.

Elway at least did right by DT trading him somewhere that will likely let him play out that contact.

I think DT won’t see next years money.

BroncoWave
10-30-2018, 09:38 PM

Even if not, he definitely wasn't seeing it here. At least trading him gives him somewhat of a chance to get it.

Northman
10-30-2018, 09:39 PM

Why is that? Retirement or reworked?

Denver Native (Carol)
10-30-2018, 09:42 PM
Troy Renck Retweeted
Troy Renck
8h8 hours ago

#Broncos @Derek_Wolfe95 to #Denver7 on trade of @DemaryiusT "DT is one of the most humble dudes I’ve ever meant and it was an honor to play on the same team as him. Hate to see him go and I wish him nothing but success."

Denver Native (Carol)
10-30-2018, 09:44 PM

Mike Klis
‏Verified account @MikeKlis
5h5 hours ago

Mike Klis Retweeted Mike Klis

Asked Rod Smith this A.M. before trade if he wanted Demaryius to break some of his records: “I hope he breaks all of them. That means he’s productive. Somebody had them up there before I got them. I want guys to maximize themselves in this business. It’s short-lived.'' #9sports

Dapper Dan
10-30-2018, 09:44 PM

Thats lame.

Poet
10-30-2018, 09:46 PM
Mike Klis
‏Verified account @MikeKlis
5h5 hours ago

Mike Klis Retweeted Mike Klis

Asked Rod Smith this A.M. before trade if he wanted Demaryius to break some of his records: “I hope he breaks all of them. That means he’s productive. Somebody had them up there before I got them. I want guys to maximize themselves in this business. It’s short-lived.'' #9sports

I'm glad that Smith isn't a hater.

BroncoWave
10-30-2018, 09:48 PM
Thats lame.

DT got a shit load of guaranteed money. He'll be fine.

Northman
10-30-2018, 09:49 PM

Thats really all its about now is the guaranteed money.

Dapper Dan
10-30-2018, 09:50 PM

I hate losing all of our players in their last year. It’s irritating.

Poet
10-30-2018, 09:51 PM

He also gets to go to a good team. While the jury is still out on Watson, we can at least say that he's above average as a starter. The Texans might still cut DT because they do love Fuller, but if he looks good at all he can get another nice deal. No team will hold it against him if he's not racking up 100 yard games as the second option on a new team. They just want to see "can he still make plays on the outside," and "how strong is he in the screen game when there's a decent running attack present," etc.

Who knows, maybe he returns later on a cheapter/prove it deal.

Surely he can do the patented 'one day' contract retirement deal at the end of his career.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-30-2018, 10:53 PM
So was DT our last remaining player from the MCD era? Who does that make our longest tenured player now? Von?

Chris Harris

Simple Jaded
10-30-2018, 11:40 PM
You realize he was going to get cut this off-season regardless, right? Would you rather us have gotten nothing for him?

I would rather make DT the Broncos GM.

BeefStew25
10-30-2018, 11:42 PM
Why is that? Retirement or reworked?

Like cut. He’s a rental.

Hawgdriver
10-31-2018, 12:23 AM
All class. Everything that makes me love the Broncos. I feel like I can relate with his story and the way he carries himself. Got a new #2 team for now...

Elevation inc
10-31-2018, 02:32 AM
This makes me cry, I was not happy about it. I get the business side of it though. The days of players staying with teams for their whole careers are just gone and it makes me sad because he was a true professional and one of the classiest players and dedicated broncos in the last decade. At least we got some compensation for a player that may not have been here next year with Sutton looking as good as he does.

Valar Morghulis
10-31-2018, 03:52 AM
Would have preferred him to restructure voluntarily and end his career here. But that's because I care more about the sentiment of finishing his career in Denver than he does.

He will lose no sleep over this

I am just glad I picked up Sutton in dogs fantasy league...... Hope I have not put the curse of cody on him!

Elevation inc
10-31-2018, 04:20 AM
Wish I could believe this team will lose enough to get a high draft pick but I see middle of the draft order for the foreseeable future and I don’t see them drafting a highly skilled QB anyway.

Win a SB ... then spend the next decade in .500 nowhere land. That’s the Broncos standard.

I see 1 of 2 things happening lol. We beat the Texans go into the bye and make a run, or we win about 3 more games total against Houston, Cleveland and Oakland by luck and fire sale in the off-season. There are only 3 maybe 4 draft able QB's in rds 1 and 2 of next years draft and a small FA class. We will not get Herbert, the giants will draft him. So that leaves us Lock from Missouri who has a legit skillset, but is very quiet and there are questions surrounding leadership ability. Finely from NC state has some NFL skills and should be a solid Alex smith type QB but we have seen enough of that crap. Then you have Thorson from NW who has a legit NFL skill set is very accurate and has the Moxy you want from a QB. He has a horrible supporting cast and is trying to do it all as a result, which is why up until the draft season he will be undervalued. He to me should be our target in rd 2 or earlier. Personally if we are drafting top 10 next year we need to try and cash in on the insane 2019 DT talent, and then do whatever we can to nab Thorson or another QB.

To be honest its entirely possible Thorson becomes a first rd. talent in the draft eval process and we can draft him 1st rd between picks 12 and 17, which is where we will probably end up lol. So many questions but it early enough to understand we aren't completely screwed at the QB position for 2019. The first ten teams in the draft as it stands today the only one needing a QB is the giants, and Oakland could be a wildcard with 2 first rd picks. I'm also wondering if trading for a guy like Bridgewater is a possibility next year as well. Brees still has plenty in the tank it seems.

BroncoWave
10-31-2018, 05:44 AM
Chris Harris

Didn't he come in the same year as von? In that case you could technically still say von has more tenure by a couple of days. :D

HORSEPOWER 56
10-31-2018, 06:57 AM
Didn't he come in the same year as von? In that case you could technically still say von has more tenure by a couple of days. :D

Depends how you look at it. Technically Von was drafted before CHJ was signed as an UDFA. But Harris signed a contract and was officially a Bronco first... ;)

HORSEPOWER 56
10-31-2018, 07:30 AM
Like everyone else, I’m excited to see what Sutton’s got, but everyone talking like he’s just gonna come in and replace the second best receiver in Broncos history is wishful thinking at best and short sighted at worst. Sutton is nowhere near the physical specimen DT was coming out. DT had elite speed. Sutton’s is only average. DT broke the shit out of tackles and could take a bubble screen 80 yards to the house. Sutton hasn’t shown he could do that. Sure, Sutton has hops and seems like he’ll be a good jump ball receiver, but he has a lot of work to do to be our next #1. We’ll see how he does when he doesn’t line up on the #3 CB and get ignored by the safety.

Elevation inc
10-31-2018, 07:39 AM
Like everyone else, I’m excited to see what Sutton’s got, but everyone talking like he’s just gonna come in and replace the second best receiver in Broncos history is wishful thinking at best and short sighted at worst. Sutton is nowhere near the physical specimen DT was coming out. DT had elite speed. Sutton’s is only average. DT broke the shit out of tackles and could take a bubble screen 80 yards to the house. Sutton hasn’t shown he could do that. Sure, Sutton has hops and seems like he’ll be a good jump ball receiver, but he has a lot of work to do to be our next #1. We’ll see how he does when he doesn’t line up on the #3 CB and get ignored by the safety.

yeah agreed, Sutton has a bunch to prove now....I miss DT already :tsk::tsk::tsk::pout::pout:

Northman
10-31-2018, 07:50 AM

We dont know what Sutton will do but he is a rookie so he has time to prove himself. Its not like this team was going anywhere anyway.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-31-2018, 08:25 AM
We dont know what Sutton will do but he is a rookie so he has time to prove himself. Its not like this team was going anywhere anyway.

Oh I hear ya, but I’m seeing a ton of “we don’t need DT, we have Sutton” optimism without a ton of substance. Sutton looks like a good one, but I’m not seeing the next Julio Jones, AJ Green, Hopkins, or DT. I could be wrong, and I hope I am, but being a good receiver and being a guy other teams have to gameplan for is 2 different things.

Broncoknight30
10-31-2018, 08:27 AM
Would have preferred him to restructure voluntarily and end his career here. But that's because I care more about the sentiment of finishing his career in Denver than he does.

He will lose no sleep over this

I am just glad I picked up Sutton in dogs fantasy league...... Hope I have not put the curse of cody on him!

A few truths we as fans need to come to terms with at some point. We as fans are always far more passionate about this team than the actual players. Almost all of them really could not care less one way or the other about this particular franchise. Yeah, they want to win. They would want to win no matter where they played. As far as I know Lindsay is probably the only player on the team that was an actual Broncos fan. We know Von Miller was a huge Cowboys fan growing up.

I know I am not being enlightening with that. Sort of like Colin Cowherd who always says things that everyone knows and acts like he is the only one that knows it. The point is players will very very rarely take less in order to retire with a team for sentimental purposes. They may sign for a day or something like that, but it is not that common.

The economic reality of the league is what it is. In about 4 years, if Sutton or whomever is really productive, they will be breaking the Broncos bank. Along with Chubb etc. Now, how are the Broncos supposed to go out and either draft a great QB in the draft (who will also break the bank if he is really productive) or sign some really high priced free agent is beyond me. Considering an NFL roster needs to field 53 men.

Is Aaron Rodgers able to get it done without key pieces? No
Is Luck getting it done all by himself with the Colts? No

Takes more than that. So, just how we as fans are supposed to be hoping to rebuild, when you need to pay huge money to one or two key players and then you need to get rid of the key pieces that every QB NEEDS in order to win.

How does it happen? It is hard cap league. Someone tell me.

Northman
10-31-2018, 10:20 AM
Oh I hear ya, but I’m seeing a ton of “we don’t need DT, we have Sutton” optimism without a ton of substance. Sutton looks like a good one, but I’m not seeing the next Julio Jones, AJ Green, Hopkins, or DT. I could be wrong, and I hope I am, but being a good receiver and being a guy other teams have to gameplan for is 2 different things.

Great receivers are rare as it is so the likelihood that Sutton even sniffs DT's jock and records is a tough task already. But i do think in this day and age keeping all time greats becomes harder and harder because of the cap and the success of the team. I wish DT would have restructured or took a pay cut to stay but understand why he wouldnt. But i also understand why Denver had to move him and get what they could while they could. If Von wasnt the franchise my guess is DT would have been but alas it didnt work out unless we do what Beef said and sign him back in the next couple of years to close out his career in Denver.

LawDog
10-31-2018, 10:24 AM

In DT's case, he put just over $40 million in his pocket over the first three years of his contract, plus another $4.5 for this year. The $14 million number for next year is just a placeholder and no agent will ever tell the player that it is anything else. At that 5th year the team has an out if the player didn't perform up to expectations, and the player uses it as a starting point to negotiate the next contract depending on how well they performed. That 5th year number will convert largely into a signing bonus (which the team spreads out for cap purposes) for a follow-up contract for well performing players (whichever team they are playing for at that point), and evaporates for those that don't perform.

It's a very fair practice for both sides, that's why these types of contracts get signed every year.

Northman
10-31-2018, 10:27 AM
In DT's case, he put just over $40 million in his pocket over the first three years of his contract, plus another $4.5 for this year. The $14 million number for next year is just a placeholder and no agent will ever tell the player that it is anything else. At that 5th year the team has an out if the player didn't perform up to expectations, and the player uses it as a starting point to negotiate the next contract depending on how well they performed. That 5th year number will convert largely into a signing bonus (which the team spreads out for cap purposes) for a follow-up contract for well performing players (whichever team they are playing for at that point), and evaporates for those that don't perform.

It's a very fair practice for both sides, that's why these types of contracts get signed every year.

Great explanation, i was wondering about that myself. Thanks

Denver Native (Carol)
10-31-2018, 10:33 AM
Damn you, sports. Damn you.

Denver lost a good one, yesterday. John Elway said goodbye to the best wide receiver the Broncos have ever had – one of the best players the Broncos have ever had, period – and there have been some good ones.

So long, Demaryius Thomas. You will be missed.

For the record, this isn’t a gripe for Elway. The move itself – sending Thomas to Houston for a fourth and seventh-round pick in the 2019 NFL Draft – was understandable. It’s a money thing. It’s a salary cap thing. It’s a “Hey, we’re a 3-5 team with a middle of the road quarterback” thing.

It’s Sports 2018.

rest - very good - https://milehighsports.com/so-long-old-friend-demaryius-thomas-will-be-missed/

Dapper Dan
10-31-2018, 10:37 AM
Great explanation, i was wondering about that myself. Thanks

Yeah. Too bad Wave isn’t that good.

Northman
10-31-2018, 10:42 AM
Good article but he kind of contradicts himself in it. He says he understands why the move was made (which is true) but then complains that people are not torching Denver to the ground because of it. Regardless of where people fall on the DT spectrum there was nothing they could do to stop it from happening. It was a business move and both sides clearly got what they wanted out of it so why complain that people arent crucifying Elway or the Broncos after you just said you werent doing that? Weird.

Freyaka
10-31-2018, 10:44 AM

Sutton won't replace what DT was in the past, but DT wasn't what he was in the past either. Sutton will at minimum replace what DT is at this point in his career. That's what we need him to do. If he steps up and becomes great like DT, is yet to be seen.

DenBronx
10-31-2018, 10:45 AM
I want the Texans to make a solid playoff run now. DT came from nothing and has been classy as hell.

Congratulations on your first ever REAL post! Took you about 10 years but that’s ok.

Hawgdriver
10-31-2018, 10:53 AM
Congratulations on your first ever REAL post! Took you about 10 years but that’s ok.

Still waiting for yours. :heh:

BeefStew25
10-31-2018, 11:06 AM

Where did you sit at super bowl 50

Freyaka
10-31-2018, 11:26 AM
Still waiting for yours. :heh:

You can keep waiting on mine, it's never coming.

Dapper Dan
10-31-2018, 11:43 AM
DT will wear #87

Freyaka
10-31-2018, 12:02 PM
DT will wear #87

In a way....that makes it even worse. New team is bad enough, but to see him not donning 88....ouch....that stings. Don't know why, but that stings.

BeefStew25
10-31-2018, 12:08 PM
In a way....that makes it even worse. New team is bad enough, but to see him not donning 88....ouch....that stings. Don't know why, but that stings.

How does it sting you

LawDog
10-31-2018, 12:11 PM
How does it sting you

Because a 3rd round TE with 9 receptions in his career is wearing 88???

BroncoWave
10-31-2018, 12:12 PM
Because a 3rd round TE with 9 receptions in his career is wearing 88???

I'm guessing that shows he probably could give a shit about the number, because he probably could have easily paid that guy for it.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-31-2018, 12:19 PM
I'm guessing that shows he probably could give a shit about the number, because he probably could have easily paid that guy for it.

Not until next season, IIRC. Players can’t change numbers or names during the season because it affects merchandising or some such shit. Like Chad Johnson couldn’t change to OchoCinco until the offseason back in the day. If they retain him, he can probably get it next year.

pnbronco
10-31-2018, 12:50 PM
Sutton has insane athletic skills. The things the man was doing in camp blew my mind. I thought he played basket ball so he had a great learning curve to catch up to football. If Sutton and CK can get on the same page he will be a force. Also Daesean Hamilton is good but has been hurt. Tim Patrick has shown he has skills and is good on ST.

I loved DT and will miss him. But something was off this year. Sanders came back energized with all kinds of fight in him. DT not so much. I loved everything DT did for us and all the class he has shown. I only wish him the best.

Dapper Dan
10-31-2018, 12:57 PM
Not until next season, IIRC. Players can’t change numbers or names during the season because it affects merchandising or some such shit. Like Chad Johnson couldn’t change to OchoCinco until the offseason back in the day. If they retain him, he can probably get it next year.

There's a specific rule. Something about 30%. The player wore the number in at least 30% of snaps and so he can't change numbers. I think he would have given it up. Lame rule.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-31-2018, 02:33 PM
Sutton has insane athletic skills. The things the man was doing in camp blew my mind. I thought he played basket ball so he had a great learning curve to catch up to football. If Sutton and CK can get on the same page he will be a force. Also Daesean Hamilton is good but has been hurt. Tim Patrick has shown he has skills and is good on ST.

I loved DT and will miss him. But something was off this year. Sanders came back energized with all kinds of fight in him. DT not so much. I loved everything DT did for us and all the class he has shown. I only wish him the best.

There have been reports DT lost some strength and explosiveness when he quit eating meat. I seem to remember reading these things going back a couple of years.

He still looks athletic, but not like the guy with a 40 inch vertical and 4.4 speed. He use to be a threat to go the distance every time he touched the ball.

Northman
10-31-2018, 02:41 PM

Might want to be careful with those kinds of words in these parts. Pitchforks will be coming your way. Lol

BroncoWave
10-31-2018, 02:46 PM
I think a fresh start will do DT well and I think letting Sutton take the reins as our guy will do him/our team well in the long run. I think the really was a good and much needed trade for both sides.

BeefStew25
10-31-2018, 03:14 PM
Elway actually drafted a keeper!

Which means expensive labor gots to go.

BroncoWave
10-31-2018, 03:18 PM
Even if we didn't draft a stud WR this year I don't think DT was ever seeing the last year of that contract. We probably wouldn't have traded him midseason, but he would have either been gone or at least forced to restructure after this season.

Northman
10-31-2018, 03:26 PM
Elway actually drafted a keeper!

Which means expensive labor gots to go.

Von is next!

Meanwhile, i created a thread that you need to get in on and read. Do it biotch.

Broncoknight30
10-31-2018, 03:33 PM
Von is next!

Meanwhile, i created a thread that you need to get in on and read. Do it biotch.

If this team wants to pay for a Cousins, yes they will need to do that.

Good to see Cousins making such a difference for the Vikings.

Anyone here think the Skins will make it further in the playoffs with A Smith and a solid defense than what Cousins did for them?

Well, long season. Maybe the Vikings will pull it together.

Northman
10-31-2018, 03:34 PM
If this team wants to pay for a Cousins, yes they will need to do that.

Good to see Cousins making such a difference for the Vikings.

Anyone here think the Skins will make it further in the playoffs and a solid defense than what Cousins did for them?

Well, long season. Maybe the Vikings will pull it together.

You mean a Vikings defense that has tanked? Yea, i agree they are the bigger problem.

Broncoknight30
10-31-2018, 03:40 PM
You mean a Vikings defense that has tanked? Yea, i agree they are the bigger problem.

I agree. Then again that pick 6 was sort of a problem for them. Brees only passed for like 120 yards. He was my fantasy QB, so I know.

That Saints offense did not exactly light things up.

Just saying

Northman
10-31-2018, 03:43 PM
Kirk Cousins 2018: 16 TDs, 4 Ints
Alex Smith 2018: 8 TDs, 2 Ints

Washington Rushing: Ranked 8th (2017 28th)
Washington Defense: Ranked 4th (2017 21st)

Minnesota Rushing: Ranked 29th (2017 7th)
Minnesota Defense: Ranked 10th (2017 1st)

Yep, thats on the QB.

Northman
10-31-2018, 03:46 PM
I agree. Then again that pick 6 was sort of a problem for them. Brees only passed for like 120 yards. He was my fantasy QB, so I know.

That Saints offense did not exactly light things up.

Just saying

I guess i dont follow. Are you saying that guys like Brees or Elway dont throw picks or pick 6's? You and i agree that it takes more than just a QB to make a team good but we disagree on whether or not Kirk is getting the same kind of "help" that Case got last year or that Smith is getting this year in Washington. While the Vikings are not where they want to be following last year the issue isnt on Cousins and much like in KC Alex is getting a lot of help from the rest of the team rather than having to carry it which he has never done anywhere that he has played.

Broncoknight30
10-31-2018, 03:55 PM
Kirk Cousins 2018: 16 TDs, 4 Ints
Alex Smith 2018: 8 TDs, 2 Ints

Washington Rushing: Ranked 8th (2017 28th)
Washington Defense: Ranked 4th (2017 21st)

Minnesota Rushing: Ranked 29th (2017 7th)
Minnesota Defense: Ranked 10th (2017 1st)

Yep, thats on the QB.

Yeah, i know. Defenses somehow stll seem to matter. That, is my point.

The Vikings are "going for it" this year. They are maxed out. They have like 4 key defenders up for contract and I think one had a mental break down this year.

The point is it is very rare for a team to overcome these ginormous contracts going to ONE PLAYER.

Rodgers cannot do it.
Luck cannot do it.

Chiefs have a team with a rookie contract QB. So do the Rams and they are getting great results.

No the Chiefs defense has not been good, but it is improving. If it is not at peak level I think it will catch up to them.

Northman
10-31-2018, 03:57 PM
Yeah, i know. Defenses somehow stll seem to matter. That, is my point.

So how is it Cousins fault that the Vikings are failing him? I guess im confused why you would try to pin their woes on him this year when it has very little to do with him and more to do with the rest of the team.

BroncoWave
10-31-2018, 04:01 PM
So how is it Cousins fault that the Vikings are failing him? I guess im confused why you would try to pin their woes on him this year when it has very little to do with him and more to do with the rest of the team.

I don't think he's saying it's cousins fault. I think he's saying the Redskins were smart to invest in a defense instead of blowing all their cap room on a QB.

Broncoknight30
10-31-2018, 04:06 PM

I'm not. My point is we still think a great high priced QB is really all we need. It isn't.

Again, it is very rare for a QB to overcome all of those problems.

I hate when franchises are blamed for not getting the "pieces" around a QB. Well, how often are we told that their contract does not allow them to?

Khalil Mack was traded away mainly due to the fact that they could not have that contract on the books along with Carr's huge contract. Gruden is getting blamed, and he probably should be for other reasons, but they (he) is looking years into the future. 5 or 6 years, a real problem. Trying to field key skill guys, an adequate OL. How?

The Raiders are in a bit of trouble. I think they irresponsibly paid Carr after ONE productive season. Now, they are reaping the whirlwind.

Dapper Dan
10-31-2018, 04:12 PM

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-31-2018, 04:20 PM

:( :(

Freyaka
10-31-2018, 04:46 PM

Why you gotta hurt me like that....

The Glue Factory
10-31-2018, 04:59 PM
I'm not. My point is we still think a great high priced QB is really all we need. It isn't.

Again, it is very rare for a QB to overcome all of those problems.

I hate when franchises are blamed for not getting the "pieces" around a QB. Well, how often are we told that their contract does not allow them to?

Is it any wonder the Cheatriots have so many SB appearances when Brady is the 17th highest paid QB in the league? As much as I dislike the Cheatriots and Brady at least they understand how to be continually successful in the current conditions of the NFL. Elway should take a few lessons from the Cheatriot GM in managing player payroll.

MOtorboat
10-31-2018, 05:20 PM
Is it any wonder the Cheatriots have so many SB appearances when Brady is the 17th highest paid QB in the league? As much as I dislike the Cheatriots and Brady at least they understand how to be continually successful in the current conditions of the NFL. Elway should take a few lessons from the Cheatriot GM in managing player payroll.

Elway did do that. That’s how he ended up with Case Keenum.

The Patriot’s plan is not a situation you can duplicate. You can duplicate the Seahawks run on Wilson’s rookie contract. You can duplicate your own blueprint with Manning on a slightly below market contract, a bunch of offensive guys on rookie contracts and a great defense with a young all-timer. You can duplicate Atlanta’s success (quarterback on big contract, bunch of other guys on rookie contracts), or Philadelphia’s success (QB on rookie contract).

What you can’t duplicate is a hall of fame quarterback getting paid a fraction of what he’s worth because he’s satisfied with his earnings on his fifth contract and happens to be married to someone who makes more money than he does.

Northman
10-31-2018, 05:27 PM
Brady also made a lot of his money early so its easier to take pay cuts when you have been paid your worth earlier in your career. For a guy like Cousins he is just now getting that deal through the Vikings.

Broncoknight30
10-31-2018, 05:41 PM
Elway did do that. That’s how he ended up with Case Keenum.

The Patriot’s plan is not a situation you can duplicate. You can duplicate the Seahawks run on Wilson’s rookie contract. You can duplicate your own blueprint with Manning on a slightly below market contract, a bunch of offensive guys on rookie contracts and a great defense with a young all-timer. You can duplicate Atlanta’s success (quarterback on big contract, bunch of other guys on rookie contracts), or Philadelphia’s success (QB on rookie contract).

What you can’t duplicate is a hall of fame quarterback getting paid a fraction of what he’s worth because he’s satisfied with his earnings on his fifth contract and happens to be married to someone who makes more money than he does.

Btw, anyone notice how the Seahawks are secretly having a pretty solid season. They apparently have drafted quite well, and have adequately replaced the legion.

Which is another thing you can hope for. No team is going to duplicate what the Pats are doing. It is not just the 17th highest paid QB. It is getting that production from the 17th highest paid and that is not going to change.

We cannot wish for that. I guess my nonsensical bellyaching is my wish for a softer cap. Immediately people think the Cowboys would win it every year. I get it.

However, look at the NBA. Not perfect but the Warriors and Cavs were not exactly large market teams. The Knicks are never good and we know the NBA would love for them to be.

The Warriors are being rewarded (their fans) for drafting and developing players. Steph, Klay and Green, all drafted.

My wish would be the NFL INCENTIVIZES players to sign with the teams that drafted them. A "Larry Bird" rule if you will. My basic idea, if x player drafted by x team plays 7 consecutive years for that team, then his salary does NOT count against the cap. Or....if any player plays for one team for 7 consecutive years, then that salary does not count against the cap from his 8th year on. Something like that.

Cause the way it is, we have to really really hope we have a high priced franchise QB and a real dynamic cheap young defense.

Or

A really effective QB under the rookie contract who contributes right away while a strong expensive defenses plays together, until that QB breaks the bank.

That is the way it is now, and I don't even know what to hope for in drafts.

The Glue Factory
10-31-2018, 05:42 PM
I do not accept that what the Cheatriots do cannot be replicated. I'm willing to bet a lot of their salary negotiation revolves around discussing championships rather than salary.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-31-2018, 05:45 PM

This post leaves a few details out, like the fact Brady was the highest paid qb when he signed his deal years ago, and the fact he’s 87 years old.
The highest paid quarterback this year will likely not even be in the top 5 3 years from now.

Broncoknight30
10-31-2018, 05:50 PM
This post leaves a few details out, like the fact Brady was the highest paid qb when he signed his deal years ago, and the fact he’s 87 years old.
The highest paid quarterback this year will likely not even be in the top 5 3 years from now.

Yes, that is true.

Simple Jaded
10-31-2018, 09:06 PM
I see 1 of 2 things happening lol. We beat the Texans go into the bye and make a run, or we win about 3 more games total against Houston, Cleveland and Oakland by luck and fire sale in the off-season. There are only 3 maybe 4 draft able QB's in rds 1 and 2 of next years draft and a small FA class. We will not get Herbert, the giants will draft him. So that leaves us Lock from Missouri who has a legit skillset, but is very quiet and there are questions surrounding leadership ability. Finely from NC state has some NFL skills and should be a solid Alex smith type QB but we have seen enough of that crap. Then you have Thorson from NW who has a legit NFL skill set is very accurate and has the Moxy you want from a QB. He has a horrible supporting cast and is trying to do it all as a result, which is why up until the draft season he will be undervalued. He to me should be our target in rd 2 or earlier. Personally if we are drafting top 10 next year we need to try and cash in on the insane 2019 DT talent, and then do whatever we can to nab Thorson or another QB.

To be honest its entirely possible Thorson becomes a first rd. talent in the draft eval process and we can draft him 1st rd between picks 12 and 17, which is where we will probably end up lol. So many questions but it early enough to understand we aren't completely screwed at the QB position for 2019. The first ten teams in the draft as it stands today the only one needing a QB is the giants, and Oakland could be a wildcard with 2 first rd picks. I'm also wondering if trading for a guy like Bridgewater is a possibility next year as well. Brees still has plenty in the tank it seems.

Unless Saints gave Bridgewater an extension he will be a FA again in ‘19, but Denver didn’t want him in’18 so I don’t consider this much of an option.

I like Thorson and Finley, but not as 1st rounders, not at the moment anyway. I did hear about Lock being super quiet, that surprises me considering his act on the field, I wouldn’t let that deter me however.

The Broncos are completely screwed at the QB position for ‘19 ... and beyond.

BeefStew25
10-31-2018, 09:27 PM
Unless Saints gave Bridgewater an extension he will be a FA again in ‘19, but Denver didn’t want him in’18 so I don’t consider this much of an option.

I like Thorson and Finley, but not as 1st rounders, not at the moment anyway. I did hear about Lock being super quiet, that surprises me considering his act on the field, I wouldn’t let that deter me however.

Tyrod
Bortles
Glennon
Fitz?
Jeff Garcia
Osweiler
Van Pelt
Geno

BroncoWave
10-31-2018, 09:29 PM
Tyrod
Bortles
Glennon
Fitz?
Jeff Garcia
Osweiler
Van Pelt
Geno

Cleo

Simple Jaded
10-31-2018, 09:33 PM
Tannehill
Bradford
Gabbert
Winston

dogfish
10-31-2018, 10:49 PM
sneezy
itchy
dopey
stupid

Hawgdriver
10-31-2018, 11:18 PM
Is Teebs still out there? /thread

Elevation inc
11-01-2018, 05:38 AM

Yeah I'm more Thorson and Lock then Finley, dude reminds me of Alex smith's skillset way to much. Come draft time I expect Thorson and lock to be late 1st early 2nd at worst. They aren't hyped now because of the teams they play for and the size of stats, but they both have legit 1st or 2nd rd. skillsets for the NFL. Its way to early but a beast DT in rd 1(so we can end the Gostis and Kerr Crap) and Lock or Thorston in rd 2 works for me. We need to push the shit out of Keenum if he doesn't get cut, so I would think about bringing in someone like Fitzpatrick or Josh McNown, plus the draft pick to rebuild with. I think in the end Musgrave is probably going to be released or move on, which depending on who replaces, can help Keenum anyway. I don't think were screwed, but we do have some work to do, and if Keenum continues to play like this, we better make the decision to either cut him or bring in someone to challenge him with a Actual QB competition next year.

Shazam!
11-01-2018, 07:10 AM

Yeah I'm more Thorson and Lock then Finley, dude reminds me of Alex smith's skillset way to much. Come draft time I expect Thorson and lock to be late 1st early 2nd at worst. They aren't hyped now because of the teams they play for and the size of stats, but they both have legit 1st or 2nd rd. skillsets for the NFL. Its way to early but a beast DT in rd 1(so we can end the Gostis and Kerr Crap) and Lock or Thorston in rd 2 works for me. We need to push the shit out of Keenum if he doesn't get cut, so I would think about bringing in someone like Fitzpatrick or Josh McNown, plus the draft pick to rebuild with. I think in the end Musgrave is probably going to be released or move on, which depending on who replaces, can help Keenum anyway. I don't think were screwed, but we do have some work to do, and if Keenum continues to play like this, we better make the decision to either cut him or bring in someone to challenge him with a Actual QB competition next year.

Brett Rypien?

Elevation inc
11-01-2018, 07:22 AM
Brett Rypien? Him and Brett Hayes from Lehigh could be surprises and move up some boards for sure. I personally don't think higher than rd. 4, but I'm not a expert either. I also think its pretty clear at QB that where your drafted doesn't mean your going to be a great player lol.

Shazam!
11-01-2018, 08:06 AM
Brett Rypien? Him and Brett Hayes from Lehigh could be surprises and move up some boards for sure. I personally don't think higher than rd. 4, but I'm not a expert either. I also think its pretty clear at QB that where your drafted doesn't mean your going to be a great player lol.

Would some people go psycho drafting a bottom end player the nephew of another former NFL QB?

Elevation inc
11-01-2018, 08:44 AM
Would some people go psycho drafting a bottom end player the nephew of another former NFL QB?

HAHA everyone is amazing at evaluating draft prospects on message boards so I'm sure you would see some interesting takes across the board. Like I said personally for me he shouldn't go higher than rd. 4 and that's generous, and if I had to guess his ceiling it would be a good backup QB, maybe like a Matt Moore in his prime type. But he could just as likely bust or be elite....

Broncoknight30
11-01-2018, 09:20 AM
Is John Defilippo the odds on favorite coach?

Not for nothing, but I think Mike McCarthy is probably gone after this year. He is out of that philosophy that appeals to Kubiak and Elway.

I say that cause right now it really depends on who is hired as coach and their philosophy for who the best QB would be.

Btw, not every team that is successful this year and winning are passing the ball 80% of the time.

The Seahawks are running the ball more than they pass and it seems to be working for them.

What would we rather have?

LawDog
11-01-2018, 10:15 AM
Is John Defilippo the odds on favorite coach?

Not for nothing, but I think Mike McCarthy is probably gone after this year. He is out of that philosophy that appeals to Kubiak and Elway.

I say that cause right now it really depends on who is hired as coach and their philosophy for who the best QB would be.

Btw, not every team that is successful this year and winning are passing the ball 80% of the time.

The Seahawks are running the ball more than they pass and it seems to be working for them.

What would we rather have?

I would jump on the McCarthy bandwagon right now, today, if I thought it had the slightest chance of happening. I do think that with GB's new GM that McCarthy is in his last year there, I just don't feel confident that the dominoes will fall in place to get him to Denver.

BroncoWave
11-01-2018, 10:28 AM
Meh, he's had the greatest QB of this generation and one super bowl appearance to show for it. John Fox has a better resume. I don't want another underachieving retread here. I want the next great young offensive mind.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-01-2018, 10:48 AM
Meh, he's had the greatest QB of this generation and one super bowl appearance to show for it. John Fox has a better resume. I don't want another underachieving retread here. I want the next great young offensive mind.

John Fox doesn’t have a super bowl win.

Also, the Packers defense has been terrible for a long time, although they look good this year. It will be interesting to see what happens in the playoffs

BroncoWave
11-01-2018, 10:50 AM
John Fox doesn’t have a super bowl win.

Also, the Packers defense has been terrible for a long time, although they look good this year. It will be interesting to see what happens in the playoffs

Fair enough. Even still, the Packers underperform year after year. We can go better.

The Glue Factory
11-01-2018, 10:53 AM

willing to roll the dice for another chance at VJ Jr.?

BroncoWave
11-01-2018, 10:55 AM
willing to roll the dice for another chance at VJ Jr.?

Yes. I'd rather get a guy who might be great than a guy who we know is mediocre.

Valar Morghulis
11-01-2018, 11:32 AM
Yes. I'd rather get a guy who might be great than a guy who we know is mediocre.

Totally agree.

The thing about VJ and fears of VJ Jr......VJ was never a proven coordinator. It was just a flat out bad hire.

Rolling the dice on a proven up and coming coord is not the same as appointing someone with one years coordinator experience (and a terrible year by all metrics) because he is part of an old boys club

Hard pass on McCarthy

Northman
11-01-2018, 11:44 AM
Why do the Seahawks keep getting brought up as an example of greatness? They are 4-3.

Cugel
11-01-2018, 11:56 AM
Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post

The last time the Broncos hired the "next great offensive mind" they wound up with . . . . drumroll please -....... Josh McDaniels. :tsk:

It's exciting to think that the next great rookie head coach will come in and revolutionize the Broncos like Mike Shanahan did, but obviously there are big risks with any rookie head coach. We all saw that with Vance Joseph.

Vance Joseph might actually be a decent head coach with his next team. Kyle Shanahan has won about 1 game without Jimmy Garopolo at QB.

Elway should and probably will bring in someone with previous head coaching experience. The most important thing will be to pick an offensive coordinator and QBs coach who can coach up the rookie QB the Broncos draft next year.

Shazam!
11-01-2018, 12:04 PM
Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post

The last time the Broncos hired the "next great offensive mind" they wound up with . . . . drumroll please -....... Josh McDaniels. :tsk:

It's exciting to think that the next great rookie head coach will come in and revolutionize the Broncos like Mike Shanahan did, but obviously there are big risks with any rookie head coach. We all saw that with Vance Joseph.

Vance Joseph might actually be a decent head coach with his next team. Kyle Shanahan has won about 1 game without Jimmy Garopolo at QB.

Elway should and probably will bring in someone with previous head coaching experience. The most important thing will be to pick an offensive coordinator and QBs coach who can coach up the rookie QB the Broncos draft next year.

Vj needs time at the coordinator level first before a HC. No one will be beating down his door next year for a HC vacancy.

MOtorboat
11-01-2018, 12:23 PM
Why do the Seahawks keep getting brought up as an example of greatness? They are 4-3.

Are you referring to my post on the last page?

Because if so, it had nothing to do with this year’s Seahawks team.

Cugel
11-01-2018, 12:47 PM
Vj needs time at the coordinator level first before a HC. No one will be beating down his door next year for a HC vacancy.

Of course not. I mean after he spends a couple of years as DC somewhere, he'll get another opportunity - if he does well. They all do. NFL coaching carousel and all. Teams don't want to break in a rookie head coach for reasons all Broncos fans are now painfully familiar with.

Broncoknight30
11-01-2018, 12:48 PM

The Seahawks are having a better season than many predicted. Mainly due to the end of the legion.

Their point differential is pretty high. It is plus 40, which is fairly impressive.

Their defense is quite strong, they are committing very few penatlies and they are not turning the ball over.

They are doing it similarly as the Redskins. Very...old school. Running the ball, balanced attacks, strong defenses.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
11-01-2018, 01:00 PM
The Seahawks haven’t beaten a team wirh a winning record yet. Two of their wins are against the two worst teams in the league, and they even managed to lose to the broncos.

but go ahead and crown they ass!

Broncoknight30
11-01-2018, 01:25 PM
The Seahawks haven’t beaten a team wirh a winning record yet. Two of their wins are against the two worst teams in the league, and they even managed to lose to the broncos.

True. We will see how it works out.

However when teams beat the teams they are 'supposed to" that is not a bad sign.

The Vikings got torched at home by the stinking Bills. The Jags, who is turning to be pretty bad, beat up the Pats and so did the Lions.

You are right though. We will see how it works out.

Northman
11-01-2018, 02:26 PM

Yea, im not seeing what he is seeing either. I mean, the Hawks do have one thing going for them and that is their QB who has lead the franchise to 2 SB's so that works in their favor. But, they still lost to an incredibly bad Broncos team who probably coudnt even beat the Bills right now.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-01-2018, 03:15 PM
PHOTOS: Demaryius Thomas’ nine-year career with The Denver Broncos – looking back in pictures

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/10/30/demaryius-thomas-denver-broncos-career-photos/

Denver Native (Carol)
11-01-2018, 03:20 PM
Sutton shares advice he received from Demaryius Thomas

Courtland Sutton reveals how Demaryius Thomas mentored him and why Sutton feels he is ready for a bigger role in the offense.

https://www.denverbroncos.com/video/sutton-shares-advice-he-received-from-demaryius-thomas

Denver Native (Carol)
11-01-2018, 03:22 PM
'It's hard to see him go': Broncos reflect on Demaryius Thomas' departure

https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/it-s-hard-to-see-him-go-broncos-reflect-on-demaryius-thomas-departure

tripp
11-02-2018, 07:01 PM
You can blame the god awful QB's we've had since Peyton retired for the reason why DT is gone. If we were competing for a SB right now, DT would be on the roster for atleast the end of the season. Blame Siemian, Lynch, Osweiler, and Keenum.

The coaching staff is also to blame. It's going to be extremely tough to watch next season if we have these morons back. Wasting Von Miller, and CHJ's prime.

Northman
11-02-2018, 08:46 PM
https://scontent.fphl2-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/45309823_10158225591933128_7637128369766662144_n.j pg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent.fphl2-2.fna&oh=88995065ecaf599d0585f6105a9f216d&oe=5C415598

Poet
11-02-2018, 10:29 PM
We don't have my quarterback but that's my WR!

#terrellowensremix

tripp
11-03-2018, 01:47 AM
https://scontent.fphl2-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/45309823_10158225591933128_7637128369766662144_n.j pg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent.fphl2-2.fna&oh=88995065ecaf599d0585f6105a9f216d&oe=5C415598

Paxton Lynch commenting with a crown, like he knows what it's like to be royalty, ******* choke artist.

Cugel
11-03-2018, 08:50 AM
The Seahawks are having a better season than many predicted. Mainly due to the end of the legion.

Their point differential is pretty high. It is plus 40, which is fairly impressive.

Their defense is quite strong, they are committing very few penatlies and they are not turning the ball over.

They are doing it similarly as the Redskins. Very...old school. Running the ball, balanced attacks, strong defenses.

Their old defense with guys like Richard Sherman, Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett got old and useless, so they replaced them with new guys. That took a while and the public is eyeing these deals as "Seahawks replace another guy we've all heard of and saw in super bowls with some dude named Joe. What are those guys doing?"

And then it started to work. Their players are playing well, and they got a lot younger at a lot of key positions. That's what "reboot, not rebuild" (John Elway before last year)looks like if you actually do it. I.e. if you actually have a QB like the Seahawks do in Russell Wilson.

The Broncos need desperately to find that guy in the draft next year. If they do this could turn around in a real hurry. Like, with a good draft they could make the playoffs next season. That much of a turn-around.

But, of course it depends on finding the right QB and putting some decent talent around him at some key positions.

Broncoknight30
11-03-2018, 10:26 AM
Their old defense with guys like Richard Sherman, Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett got old and useless, so they replaced them with new guys. That took a while and the public is eyeing these deals as "Seahawks replace another guy we've all heard of and saw in super bowls with some dude named Joe. What are those guys doing?"

And then it started to work. Their players are playing well, and they got a lot younger at a lot of key positions. That's what "reboot, not rebuild" (John Elway before last year)looks like if you actually do it. I.e. if you actually have a QB like the Seahawks do in Russell Wilson.

The Broncos need desperately to find that guy in the draft next year. If they do this could turn around in a real hurry. Like, with a good draft they could make the playoffs next season. That much of a turn-around.

But, of course it depends on finding the right QB and putting some decent talent around him at some key positions.

People seem to be thinking all of the first round QBs this year are all successes. Sorry, not seeing it yet. We will see, but none of them have showed that they are a Pat Mahomes type. I know Mahomes is a second year player, but the point is I am not seeing it yet. Not out of any of them.

wayninja
11-03-2018, 01:31 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/cF7CqTDveAhj2/giphy.gif

Simple Jaded
11-03-2018, 06:35 PM
Paxton Lynch commenting with a crown, like he knows what it's like to be royalty, ******* choke artist.

I think he’s saying DT is royalty, I don’t know that for certain on the count of Twitter being super ******* gay, but it makes sense.

Northman
11-03-2018, 06:37 PM
I think he’s saying DT is royalty, I don’t know that for certain on the count of Twitter being super ******* gay, but it makes sense.

Pretty much how i saw it. Saying DT is royalty or the King. Both make sense.

Cugel
11-03-2018, 11:03 PM
People seem to be thinking all of the first round QBs this year are all successes. Sorry, not seeing it yet. We will see, but none of them have showed that they are a Pat Mahomes type. I know Mahomes is a second year player, but the point is I am not seeing it yet. Not out of any of them.

I don't make any judgements on any of them yet, not even Carson Wentz and Jared Goff, let alone Pat Mahomes, and still less the rookies.

Remember that our view of Andy Dalton is that no matter what he does in the regular season, we'll see a different and inadequate Andy Dalton in the playoffs. If you just judged Andy Dalton by the regular season he would have been considered a top 10 Qb most of his career.

The same thing could be true of any of these young QBs - including Pat Mahomes. Remember that KC has had 12-4 seasons before and wound up losing in the first round of the playoffs. Everybody assumes that won't happen this year because they're playing so well. But, what if they don't win? Stranger things have happened after all. They run into a hot team, have a bad day and suddenly it's like the Elway Broncos losing to Jacksonville Jaguars.

View of Pat Mahomes would be very different then, if that happened. We'll have to wait and see which of these guys, if any, start winning playoff games and going to Super Bowls. That will be the real test, that none of them has passed yet.

Hawgdriver
11-04-2018, 12:43 AM
So, about DT's farewell message. I think he was talking about MO, but not UR. :heh:

BeefStew25
11-04-2018, 07:58 PM
So, about DT's farewell message. I think he was talking about MO, but not UR. :heh:

It had a passive aggressive tint to it.

Elevation inc
11-06-2018, 03:14 AM

Yep he is going to have to go the Dennis Allen, Jim Schwartz route and build his resume back up for about 2 years before getting another shot.

Simple Jaded
11-06-2018, 10:51 PM
VJ didn’t get the HC gig because he was a great DC, apparently he’s supposed to be a leader of Men. He won’t get a DC again, I’d be shocked.

Davii
11-06-2018, 10:59 PM
VJ didn’t get the HC gig because he was a great DC, apparently he’s supposed to be a leader of Men. He won’t get a DC again, I’d be shocked.

I think he'll be back to position coach somewhere for at least a year

Simple Jaded
11-06-2018, 11:06 PM

I think he’s back as Broncos HC.

Poet
11-06-2018, 11:09 PM

I wish him well.

He's a nice man.

Valar Morghulis
11-06-2018, 11:32 PM
I wish him well.

He's a nice man.

Wtf

TS was a nice man. You never wished him well.

Poet
11-06-2018, 11:33 PM
Wtf

I hate white people. Dumbass.

Valar Morghulis
11-06-2018, 11:34 PM

Yeah, me as well

Jsteve01
11-06-2018, 11:35 PM
Wtf

So much revealed. I feel like i just gained some insight into the depth of your hurt King. Vulnerability is sexy btw

Poet
11-06-2018, 11:35 PM
So much revealed. I feel like i just gained some insight into the depth of your hurt King. Vulnerability is sexy btw

I hurt because my poor knees are under attack from my gut.

Jsteve01
11-06-2018, 11:39 PM

I hurt because my poor knees are under attack from my gut.

Let it go man. Its not your fault....It's not your fault.

Poet
11-06-2018, 11:41 PM

Steve, do you think God and the Devil are different?

Jsteve01
11-06-2018, 11:44 PM

Steve, do you think God and the Devil are different?

Yes i do. And im sorry i watched good will hunting tonight. I felt like Robin williams counseling the genius will

Poet
11-06-2018, 11:45 PM
Yes i do. And im sorry i watched good will hunting tonight. I felt like Robin williams counseling the genius will

They're not.

Good Will Hunting was overrated. I'm glad Robin Williams is dead. I am a hate-beast.

Jsteve01
11-06-2018, 11:47 PM

They're not.

Good Will Hunting was overrated. I'm glad Robin Williams is dead. I am a hate-beast.

They are. God is love and the devil doesnt wear prada or have a pitchfork. He is however from Oakland

Poet
11-06-2018, 11:49 PM
Onions!

BeefStew25
11-07-2018, 12:18 AM
Vance will be gone on black Monday. But now I root for him!