PDA

View Full Version : Broncos take issue with Chiefs' use of linemen on option

Denver Native (Carol)
10-29-2018, 09:56 AM
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Denver Broncos don't argue that the Chiefs offense is among the league's best.

They don't argue that quarterback Patrick Mahomes is having an MVP-like season. And they don't argue that they've lost twice to the Chiefs in the last four weeks and they don't like it.

They do argue that the Chiefs are bending the rules on downfield blocking when they put Mahomes in some of their most successful plays on offense -- the run-pass options, or RPOs.

"What's that cutoff point for an offensive lineman to be legally down the field in pass pro?'' said defensive end Derek Wolfe. "When is a guy offsides and when is he not? Is it 12 yards now?"

rest - http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25110315/broncos-think-chiefs-bending-rules-linemen

LawDog
10-29-2018, 10:07 AM
Officiating was weird yesterday. I never, ever want to blame the zebras for the outcome of a game, but it can be a factor. Especially when we get a 22 yard Lindsey run called back because McGovern tapped a guy on the shoulder. Shoot, I've tapped old ladies harder than that when letting them know they can have my seat in a crowded room...

Denver Native (Carol)
10-29-2018, 10:09 AM
The article is very interesting and explains exactly why the Broncos feel what KC is doing is against the rules, and they should be flagged.

Northman
10-29-2018, 10:11 AM
We lost, simple as that.

BroncoWave
10-29-2018, 10:23 AM
We lost, simple as that.

Wouldn't be a broncos loss without the refs being blamed. :lol:

CoachChaz
10-29-2018, 10:39 AM
Officiating has sucked for decades. Why complain now?

wayninja
10-29-2018, 11:05 AM
It's hard to ignore the windfall the NFL receives from "good narratives" when asserting the impartiality of rules enforcement.

I'm not saying that it's rigged, just that the means and motive are there.

Shazam!
10-29-2018, 11:36 AM
Is this the same as how 30 other teams were complaining about the Broncos zone blocking and chop blocking for years?

How far they have fallen.

arapaho2
10-29-2018, 11:56 AM
Is this the same as how 30 other teams were complaining about the Broncos zone blocking and chop blocking for years?

How far they have fallen.

no for one ZB is legal
for two the broncos cut blocked which again was legal

however an offensive lineman blocking ten yards down field on a pass play is illegal in any book

MOtorboat
10-29-2018, 12:38 PM
We lost, simple as that.

This doesn’t have bearing on whether officials missed calls or not. Yes, the Broncos lost when they had chances. That doesn’t excuse the referees if they made horrible calls or allowed, repeatedly, illegal blocks.

Northman
10-29-2018, 02:00 PM
This doesn’t have bearing on whether officials missed calls or not. Yes, the Broncos lost when they had chances. That doesn’t excuse the referees if they made horrible calls or allowed, repeatedly, illegal blocks.

Missed calls happen in every game, the Broncos still had chances and failed. They lost, period. Quit whining about missed calls, they happen even in favor of Denver. I didnt think i would actually have to explain that.

MOtorboat
10-29-2018, 02:08 PM
Missed calls happen in every game, the Broncos still had chances and failed. They lost, period. Quit whining about missed calls, they happen even in favor of Denver. I didnt think i would actually have to explain that.

You don’t have to explain shit to me. I get your point. I realize not all calls go against the Broncos all the time. In fact, I’m usually with Spiker defending referees. Yesterday seemed like an extra poor performance by the referees in the Denver game and I’m curious if the team’s complaints have merit. It’s common for fans to complain about refs. It’s not for the coach and the players.

Northman
10-29-2018, 02:19 PM
Both teams were penalized a lot yesterday, it certainly was not one sided. Wolfe is known to wear his emotions on his sleeve so i see this nothing more than frustration from a guy one a losing team in a losing season. Nothing more, nothing less.

NightTrainLayne
10-29-2018, 02:36 PM
. .. and I’m curious if the team’s complaints have merit.

Yeah, I wish Legwold or somebody would put some video up pinpointing what Wolfe and VJ are talking about, or disproving it either way.

MOtorboat
10-29-2018, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I wish Legwold or somebody would put some video up pinpointing what Wolfe and VJ are talking about, or disproving it either way.

The All 24 should be available tonight. I plan on looking.

Freyaka
10-29-2018, 02:51 PM
Both teams were penalized a lot yesterday, it certainly was not one sided. Wolfe is known to wear his emotions on his sleeve so i see this nothing more than frustration from a guy one a losing team in a losing season. Nothing more, nothing less.

Wolfe's one thing, when the head coach is throwing passive aggressive shade at the officiating while being subtle about it to avoid being fined...there's probably something to it more than just frustration.

Northman
10-29-2018, 03:00 PM
Wolfe's one thing, when the head coach is throwing passive aggressive shade at the officiating while being subtle about it to avoid being fined...there's probably something to it more than just frustration.

Yea, just whining. Like i said both teams were penalized a lot the only difference is Denver came out on the losing end. Im just not going to fall into this loser mentality when missed calls happens to all teams any given week. Shit happens, man up and move on the next game.

dogfish
10-29-2018, 03:22 PM
You don’t have to explain shit to me. I get your point. I realize not all calls go against the Broncos all the time. In fact, I’m usually with Spiker defending referees. Yesterday seemed like an extra poor performance by the referees in the Denver game and I’m curious if the team’s complaints have merit. It’s common for fans to complain about refs. It’s not for the coach and the players.

no moar excuses! donkeys R teh suxxor!!111!!!

Dapper Dan
10-30-2018, 09:50 AM
Yea, just whining. Like i said both teams were penalized a lot the only difference is Denver came out on the losing end. Im just not going to fall into this loser mentality when missed calls happens to all teams any given week. Shit happens, man up and move on the next game.

I think you've made your point. :lol:

Dapper Dan
10-30-2018, 09:51 AM

That might require actual effort in journalism. Like Mo is finna do. He really is the bar when it comes to media excellence.

BroncoWave
10-30-2018, 09:58 AM
Speaking of which, where are you Mo? I DEMAND ANSWERS!!!

Dapper Dan
10-30-2018, 09:59 AM
Speaking of which, where are you Mo? I DEMAND ANSWERS!!!

Probably in a North Korean prison by now.

Shazam!
10-30-2018, 10:00 AM
If the Broncos were winning there would be no issues.

Dapper Dan
10-30-2018, 10:07 AM

Yeah. If a team is cheating and losing it's like it doesn't matter. Weird.

Davii
10-30-2018, 12:25 PM
Yeah. If a team is cheating and losing it's like it doesn't matter. Weird.

Tell that to McDouche. Cheating and STILL losing will get you fired.

MOtorboat
10-30-2018, 12:27 PM

So, if the Broncos won, the calls, or non-calls, would be correct? That’s not how officiating works.

Davii
10-30-2018, 12:32 PM
So, in a nutshell... Run pass option... if a run play lineman can block the entire field, but as soon as that option becomes pass they cannot INITIATE a block more than a yard from the LOS as it is then offensive PI.

Here's the rule:

Offensive players may not initiate a block one yard beyond the line of scrimmage and then have a pass thrown that crosses the line of scrimmage. If an offensive player blocks downfield before the ball is thrown and the pass crosses the line of scrimmage, it is offensive pass interference.

Broncos contend the Chiefs were run blocking downfield on pass RPO plays before the ball was thrown which would be OPI.

Am I understanding this correctly?

wayninja
10-30-2018, 12:32 PM
Did you look at the all 22? That's all we wanna know.

Shazam!
10-30-2018, 12:35 PM
Anyone bitch and cry on all the non-holding calls in 2013 when Manning and Co were lighting it up? Nah.

Northman
10-30-2018, 12:40 PM
Jesus christ some of you are some serious bitches. :lol:

MOtorboat
10-30-2018, 12:50 PM

You could, you know, not click on the thread if you're triggered this much.

Northman
10-30-2018, 12:53 PM
You could, you know, not click on the thread if you're triggered this much.

Not triggered at all. Just amazed at how petty you guys have become.

NightTrainLayne
10-30-2018, 12:56 PM
Not triggered at all. Just amazed at how petty you guys have become.

Nobody's blaming the loss on the officiating.

But if a team is running a lot of RPO AND blocking downfield, that's something the league needs to fix. It's too much of an advantage to the Offense to ignore it.

Poet
10-30-2018, 12:59 PM
This is interesting.

Northman
10-30-2018, 12:59 PM

But if a team is running a lot of RPO AND blocking downfield, that's something the league needs to fix. It's too much of an advantage to the Offense to ignore it.

If the league thinks they are breaking the rules they will do so, but im guessing the Chiefs have been playing this way all year and the officials have not seen what Wolfe is claiming or dont feel they are breaking the rules.

MOtorboat
10-30-2018, 01:03 PM
Did you look at the all 22? That's all we wanna know.

I saw about five or six examples of them blocking past the 1-yard cushion. They were never beyond 3 yards, though.

MOtorboat
10-30-2018, 01:03 PM

I think it's something that needs to be discussed after looking at it.

Dapper Dan
10-30-2018, 01:06 PM

But will the Chiefs have to vacant their wins? Because I’m really upset about this loss.

Tned
10-30-2018, 02:16 PM

Unlike many running QBs where they've utilized the run options, Maholmes seems to really run/scramble to buy space/time to through. Are there any QBs out there right now that do the run pass option like him, vs. the more traditional (now traditional, ironically a few years ago just a college thing) run option plays?

MOtorboat
10-30-2018, 02:37 PM
Unlike many running QBs where they've utilized the run options, Maholmes seems to really run/scramble to buy space/time to through. Are there any QBs out there right now that do the run pass option like him, vs. the more traditional (now traditional, ironically a few years ago just a college thing) run option plays?

Nick Foles in the Super Bowl.

Andy Reid’s RPO system is all play-action based with lots of screens and outs, not really option based like the Panthers’ scheme. It’s still the West Coast just out of the shotgun with a read option look. Nagy is doing the same thing in Chicago.

The Panthers is a triple option with Newton running a base spread option with one or two receivers running deeper routes, more Coryel-based route tree (Norv Turner’s route tree he’s been running for 30 years, just with a twist in the play action).

wayninja
10-30-2018, 03:14 PM
I saw about five or six examples of them blocking past the 1-yard cushion. They were never beyond 3 yards, though.

That feels like a lot of examples not to have had a single flag. Whatevs. Mahomes makes the NFL money.

Simple Jaded
10-30-2018, 08:26 PM
Broncos complain about OL blocking tactics? The DENVER Broncos?

Hmm!?

Ya don’t say!?

Shazam!
10-30-2018, 08:31 PM
Broncos complain about OL blocking tactics? The DENVER Broncos?

Hmm!?

Ya don’t say!?

My thoughts exactly. Its unbelievable.

Simple Jaded
10-30-2018, 08:36 PM

You should see during the game, I scream like a little bitch.

Northman
10-30-2018, 08:38 PM
You should see during the game, I scream like a little bitch.

I knew it! You are soft as baby shit.

Simple Jaded
10-30-2018, 08:38 PM
I knew it! You are soft as baby shit.

Guilty. I’m right though.