PDA

View Full Version : NFL has turned every game into the Pro Bowl

ShaneFalco
10-16-2018, 01:56 PM
28 QB's right now have a completion percentage >61%

/discuss

MasterShake
10-16-2018, 02:02 PM
That is why I appreciate the Broncos right now and their ability to ignore the offense friendly new league rules and somehow miss on key redzone possessions or simply take bad calls despite all the success they could be having.

ShaneFalco
10-16-2018, 02:05 PM
i blame fantasy sports and gambling on games being illegal.

Now everyone gambles on fantasy sites.

So its all about the numbers. i dont believe safety of the players has a thing to do with it.

wayninja
10-16-2018, 02:17 PM
QB's are obviously developing evolutionary traits making them better able to adapt to rule changes and the fast twitch muscle fibers and neural relays required to play at such a high level.

It's just Darwinism. But super fast.

Tangerine
10-16-2018, 03:36 PM
There's always more offense during the first half of the year and things start to level out once the tempartures get cold.

Every year in September/early October everybody complains about too much offense. By December we might be complaining about too many low scoring boring games.

Though it's hard to ignore the NFL has been trending to more offense. Ratings are back up, so those who don't like the NFL's trends seem to be the outliers.

Anyway, don't overreact, defenses will adapt in a year or so, they always do...

MOtorboat
10-16-2018, 03:52 PM
Cool.

Poet
10-16-2018, 05:32 PM
Numbers are back up. Yeah, I would like a little more defense. I think holding calls need to be called more frequently, and good lord the stupid pick/OPI calls need to be called more often, too.

Canmore
10-16-2018, 08:14 PM
Numbers are back up. Yeah, I would like a little more defense. I think holding calls need to be called more frequently, and good lord the stupid pick/OPI calls need to be called more often, too.

True, but the game already has to many stoppages.

Poet
10-16-2018, 08:15 PM
True, but the game already has to many stoppages.

Offset this a bit by allowing a little more contact via DB's onto WR's. IDK. There needs to be a bit of a balance. But, you're right. If this is the final product we're left with than hey, it's still fun and still a watchable product.

Dapper Dan
10-16-2018, 08:21 PM
It's called evolution. The game will always evolve whether we like it or not. Today's changes are no more unique than 30 years ago.

Poet
10-16-2018, 08:34 PM
It's called evolution. The game will always evolve whether we like it or not. Today's changes are no more unique than 30 years ago.

Back in the day the rules often heavily favored the defense. But, things can swing too far one direction is all I'm saying.

Dapper Dan
10-16-2018, 08:40 PM
Back in the day the rules often heavily favored the defense. But, things can swing too far one direction is all I'm saying.

My dik swings right.

wayninja
10-16-2018, 08:40 PM

Every modern sport that can is basically guaranteed to skew rules to favor scoring over time.

Poet
10-16-2018, 09:00 PM
I do recall MLB admitting to having juiced baseballs.

Simple Jaded
10-16-2018, 09:02 PM
I like football better when scoring a TD is actually an accomplishment.

MOtorboat
10-16-2018, 11:55 PM
I don’t trust people who don’t like touchdowns.

Poet
10-17-2018, 12:02 AM

It really does feel like the defenses in the league just don't get a fair shake at the game, though. Hard hits were always the great equalizer. Now if you blast a WR a flag flies. You can't do anything to QB's. About half the sacks the Giants got on Brady in those SB's are now penalties. You can't bang on a player to slow him down...and it's football. The league has gone too far - but it's an aesthetically pleasing game.

Simple Jaded
10-17-2018, 12:08 AM

You have good instincts.

wayninja
10-17-2018, 12:19 AM
I do recall MLB admitting to having juiced baseballs.

Well, I did say "can". The mechanics of baseball are pretty solid. Not a ton of rules tweaking there that isn't at a fundamental level to increase scoring. Having said that, there's always talks of these types of changes (trailing team in the 9th can jump batting order, lowering the mound etc), and the reason the DH was introduced (albeit 40+ years ago) was to increase scoring.

The point stands, my friend.

Poet
10-17-2018, 12:31 AM
Well, I did say "can". The mechanics of baseball are pretty solid. Not a ton of rules tweaking there that isn't at a fundamental level to increase scoring. Having said that, there's always talks of these types of changes (trailing team in the 9th can jump batting order, lowering the mound etc), and the reason the DH was introduced (albeit 40+ years ago) was to increase scoring.

The point stands, my friend.

I was actually in agreement with you.

wayninja
10-17-2018, 12:32 AM
I was actually in agreement with you.

I must have been distracted by juiced balls. I didn't realize that was actually a thing that the MLB had admitted to.

Poet
10-17-2018, 12:40 AM
I must have been distracted by juiced balls. I didn't realize that was actually a thing that the MLB had admitted to.

Yep. They did.

Tangerine
10-17-2018, 12:28 PM
It really does feel like the defenses in the league just don't get a fair shake at the game, though. Hard hits were always the great equalizer. Now if you blast a WR a flag flies. You can't do anything to QB's. About half the sacks the Giants got on Brady in those SB's are now penalties. You can't bang on a player to slow him down...and it's football. The league has gone too far - but it's an aesthetically pleasing game.

A number of big name players get hurt and the ratings drop, they're healthy now and playing, and the ratings are back up, the NFL isn't going to going to ignore that trend (though the ratings issue likely had more to do with not counting streaming). Also with CTE concerns now, they can't have a bunch of brain damaged ex-football players out there, like it or not the NFL has to TRY to do something about it.

I loved the big hits as much as anyone, but those days are over, we have to accept that fact.

Poet
10-17-2018, 12:50 PM
A number of big name players get hurt and the ratings drop, they're healthy now and playing, and the ratings are back up, the NFL isn't going to going to ignore that trend (though the ratings issue likely had more to do with not counting streaming). Also with CTE concerns now, they can't have a bunch of brain damaged ex-football players out there, like it or not the NFL has to TRY to do something about it.

I loved the big hits as much as anyone, but those days are over, we have to accept that fact.
I am fond of you.

ShaneFalco
10-17-2018, 01:01 PM
saw a penalty stat on NFL live

roughing the passer calls up from 2017 from like 28 to 59.

illegal contact up from like 23 to 44.

Double the flags, and people say "what a great product" derp derp derp.

BroncoWave
10-17-2018, 01:27 PM
derp derp derp.

Your posts in a nutshell.

Poet
10-17-2018, 01:30 PM
Am I wrong for thinking the pendulum swung too far in favor of offenses?

Should I at least be happy that the product is still fun to watch?

I get it - this keeps QB's protected and that's a huge boon. Offense is fun. But I like defense, too. IDK. I'm conflicted.

wayninja
10-17-2018, 01:32 PM
You aren't wrong, but you are also more of a purist than your average fan. Capitalism in sports means mass appeal. Mass appeal tends to crowd purists out.

Poet
10-17-2018, 01:34 PM
You aren't wrong, but you are also more of a purist than your average fan. Capitalism in sports means mass appeal. Mass appeal tends to crowd purists out.

I will accept that the product is still fine and has some nice highlights (not literal highlights, albeit those exist) and try to roll with it. I am said that a bunch of records will be broken as a result of this era, but records are meant to be broken.

wayninja
10-17-2018, 01:39 PM
I will accept that the product is still fine and has some nice highlights (not literal highlights, albeit those exist) and try to roll with it. I am said that a bunch of records will be broken as a result of this era, but records are meant to be broken.

Breaking records is exciting and leads to more viewership. It's almost like it's in their best interests if records get broken and they are playing to that...

Poet
10-17-2018, 01:40 PM
Breaking records is exciting and leads to more viewership. It's almost like it's in their best interests if records get broken and they are playing to that...

It is in their best interest to do these things. I just am a bit bummed.

Poet
10-17-2018, 01:41 PM
But, I hate a lack of evolution. I just do hope that there is something that allows defenses to evolve and be competitive. I like the ebb of flow of it. IDK.

I just like to eat.

wayninja
10-17-2018, 01:44 PM
But, I hate a lack of evolution. I just do hope that there is something that allows defenses to evolve and be competitive. I like the ebb of flow of it. IDK.

I just like to eat.

They just need to look at the fantasy football model and take some inspiration. Change the rules to allow defenses to score points, and i don't mean via change of possession. Like, sacks are worth points now. Stuff like that.

This feels well thought out.

Poet
10-17-2018, 01:52 PM
They just need to look at the fantasy football model and take some inspiration. Change the rules to allow defenses to score points, and i don't mean via change of possession. Like, sacks are worth points now. Stuff like that.

Seems brilliant! Put it into effect with a clause that says the new rule can't be changed for twenty years. Just to be safe!

FanInAZ
10-17-2018, 01:58 PM

How about 3 points for turnovers, 1 for sacks & 1 for 3 & outs.

Tangerine
10-17-2018, 03:31 PM
saw a penalty stat on NFL live

roughing the passer calls up from 2017 from like 28 to 59.

illegal contact up from like 23 to 44.

Double the flags, and people say "what a great product" derp derp derp.

Maybe not a "great" product is the right term, just a different product. The game is different than it was 30 years ago, it'll also be different 30 years from now, when we're all a bunch of old farts complaining about how much better the NFL was back in 2018.

With the discovery of CTE changes were necessary, the NFL hid it as long as they could, but it eventually became necessary to change it for better or for worse. With a real risk of brain damage, if changes weren't made it would've ended the NFL all together. How many parents would choose not to let their kids play, how many future Tom Brady's and John Elway's would never get a chance to play a single snap? It would have a massive effect on the game, and though it still could, the NFL needs to at least try their best to save the product.

BroncoJoe
10-17-2018, 04:18 PM
I am fond of you.

We all know you love Mike Hawk....

:yo:

Poet
10-17-2018, 09:23 PM
I need Jaded, ASAP!

Simple Jaded
10-17-2018, 09:25 PM
Mike Hawk is solid as a rock.

Poet
10-17-2018, 09:26 PM
Jaded...

what are your thoughts on Swag Kelly's potential? Like his raw talent.

Simple Jaded
10-17-2018, 09:49 PM
Jaded...

what are your thoughts on Swag Kelly's potential? Like his raw talent.

I think he’s a Baker Mayfield type, on and off the field. Not quite the arm, though, but much bigger. Definite starter potential, but if not he might be ideal backup because he seems to have some Bubby Brister to his personality. The system he played in college was a special kind of barf, did nothing to prepare him for NFL.

I worry about his release from preseason, he seemed to put a lot of upper body into his throws and that would help NFL DB’s and LB’s jump routes. I don’t remember him doing this is college, he looked effortless.

Poet
10-17-2018, 09:53 PM
I think he’s a Baker Mayfield type, on and off the field. Not quite the arm, though, but much bigger. Definite starter potential, but if not he might be ideal backup because he seems to have some Bubby Brister to his personality. The system he played in college was a special kind of barf, did nothing to prepare him for NFL.

I worry about his release from preseason, he seemed to put a lot of body into his throws and that would help NFL DB’s and LB’s jump routes. I don’t remember him doing this is college, he looked effortless.

I think he has a 'plus arm' but so does Mayfield. Mayfield actually has a better arm than I thought. His mechanics look solid to me, and I think he put more body into his throws because he was trying to make every single play...he was forcing it. I think it's a bad habit when he is trying to get it done. .

Simple Jaded
10-17-2018, 09:56 PM
I think he has a 'plus arm' but so does Mayfield. Mayfield actually has a better arm than I thought. His mechanics look solid to me, and I think he put more body into his throws because he was trying to make every single play...he was forcing it. I think it's a bad habit when he is trying to get it done. .

Borderline Outstanding arm, but Mayfield has more. I’m surprised by that.

He was effortless in college and we got to see way more from him there, I’m probably full of shit. I get that a lot.