PDA

View Full Version : Elway personally watching Justin Herbert lead the Ducks today

atwater27
10-13-2018, 05:03 PM
He’s in the luxury box with a serious look on his face watching Oregon play the Washington Huskies. Looks like he realizes Keenum is not the answer. I’m not sure how I feel about this. I don’t watch much college football, but when I do it’s the Ducks. Herbert hasn’t impressed me. Not saying he won’t be good, just hasn’t excited me. The scarier thought? That Elway thinks we will have a chance at a high first rounder again. Yikes. Unless he is looking at Jake Browning too.

Northman
10-13-2018, 05:08 PM
He’s in the luxury box with a serious look on his face watching Oregon play the Washington Huskies. Looks like he realizes Keenum is not the answer. I’m not sure how I feel about this. I don’t watch much college football, but when I do it’s the Ducks. Herbert hasn’t impressed me. Not saying he won’t be good, just hasn’t excited me. The scarier thought? That Elway thinks we will have a chance at a high first rounder again. Yikes. Unless he is looking at Jake Browning too.

He could be looking at Browning who is pretty damn good.

atwater27
10-13-2018, 05:17 PM
He could be looking at Browning who is pretty damn good.

I’m actually more impressed with him. He’s not expected to go in the 1st round quite yet, but I imagine he’ll rise in the draft prospect rankings quickly.

G_Money
10-13-2018, 05:42 PM
If you think you might need a QB, this one of the must-watch games of the college FB season. He'll probably catch Montez at some point too if he hasn't already, but that's easier to do in Colorado if he wants to. Doesn't mean anything about Kelly right now - it's covering the bases, which is something Elway should do more of. If Kelly gets into a bunch of Denver games this year he can put his own work on film, but this game is happening right now and we'd all crush Elway for not being at it if Kelly doesn't look good in regular season action.

Glad he's there.

spikerman
10-13-2018, 05:42 PM
Or, he’s there to see multiple players and not just QBs.

G_Money
10-13-2018, 05:43 PM

He has scouts for that. I'm sure he'll be looking at a lot of players in this game, but he's there to observe the QBs in person. Even though he's the anti-QB whisperer to this point.

underrated29
10-13-2018, 05:52 PM
I've been saying for a few weeks that elway loves herbert!

He's there to watch him. And only him.

Northman
10-13-2018, 05:52 PM
He has scouts for that. I'm sure he'll be looking at a lot of players in this game, but he's there to observe the QBs in person. Even though he's the anti-QB whisperer to this point.

I think so too.

G_Money
10-13-2018, 05:56 PM

Might be the first time Elway and I agree on a QB.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-13-2018, 06:02 PM
KUSA – Fresh off garnering his best rookie class in years, Broncos general manager John Elway is rolling up his sleeves and going to work on the 2019 draft.

Elway and director of player personnel Matt Russell will be attending the Oregon-Washington game today at Autzen Stadium in Eugene, Ore., in what is the first of several college trips the Broncos’ duo is scheduled to take in the coming weeks.

Elway and Russell won’t be alone in Oregon today as the game is a must-scout for all NFL teams. More than 15 scouts/personnel executives around the league are scheduled to attend the Oregon-Washington matchup. It features the Ducks’ Justin Herbert, the projected top quarterback in next year’s draft, as well as several other early round prospects.

In all, 13 to 16 players overall from the game figure to one day play on Sundays in the near future.

Before anyone tries to connect Elway’s visit to the team’s three-game losing streak, this trip was planned back in July along with several others throughout the college football season.

rest - https://www.9news.com/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/elway-russell-begin-scouting-for-2019-draft-with-oregon-washington-game/73-604048050

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-13-2018, 06:11 PM

There are NFL level players in the secondary for Washington.

There’s also a lightning strike of a chance he’s courting Chris Peterson!

atwater27
10-13-2018, 06:17 PM
Well here’s his chance to show if he’s clutch

atwater27
10-13-2018, 06:17 PM
Well they ran it to win the game. Sweet

gregbroncs
10-13-2018, 09:34 PM
He could be looking at Browning who is pretty damn good.No thanks, That guy is not a good NFL Quarterback.

Northman
10-13-2018, 09:35 PM
No thanks, That guy is not a good NFL Quarterback.

Hard to say since he is not in the NFL yet. Lmao

gregbroncs
10-13-2018, 09:38 PM
Hard to say since he is not in the NFL yet. LmaoI am a Utah Utes fan so have watched Browning quite a bit. And the guy just doesn't look the part most of the time. I'd be very disappointed if he were drafted by the Broncos. He's got a good team and a great coach but I think he is going to end up being a back up QB in the NFL for a very short period of time.

slim
10-13-2018, 11:25 PM
I hope he is watching...it's kind of his job.

ShaneFalco
10-14-2018, 07:27 AM
great another bust elway can draft.

i fully expect chad kelly to be traded to the vikings

Shazam!
10-14-2018, 07:46 AM
great another bust elway can draft.

i fully expect chad kelly to be traded to the vikings

Not if Keenum gets benched and he wins some games. Sloter is not the answer.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-14-2018, 08:16 AM
There is NFL talent on those teams other than 1 or 2 quarterbacks.

Our secondary is in desperate need of help.

Poet
10-14-2018, 09:56 AM
Now we now Herbet sucks...

Poet
10-14-2018, 09:57 AM
There is NFL talent on those teams other than 1 or 2 quarterbacks.

Our secondary is in desperate need of help.

But by blowing up a strength and replacing it with a band-aid you get a better team - Bronco fans several months ago.

Poet
10-14-2018, 10:00 AM
Hard to say since he is not in the NFL yet. Lmao

Not true - Keenum isn't an NFL QB and he's our starter...as was TS...as was Tebow...as was Brock...

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-14-2018, 10:02 AM
But by blowing up a strength and replacing it with a band-aid you get a better team - Bronco fans several months ago.

My wounds need no salt this fine morning!

Poet
10-14-2018, 10:04 AM
My wounds need no salt this fine morning!

It's a curse to usually be right and then be shouted down by the masses...you never stopped Talibing and I appreciate that about you.

Dapper Dan
10-14-2018, 10:49 AM

He's 6'6". What's not to like?

Shazam!
10-14-2018, 10:54 AM

I think people just fear a Paxton Lynch 2.

Valar Morghulis
10-14-2018, 11:09 AM

LMAO we should try that. See how it works out for us

Poet
10-14-2018, 11:54 AM
Now we now Herbet sucks...

Not true - Keenum isn't an NFL QB and he's our starter...as was TS...as was Tebow...as was Brock...

It's a curse to usually be right and then be shouted down by the masses...you never stopped Talibing and I appreciate that about you.

You are a ******* God.

Poet
10-14-2018, 11:54 AM
You are a ******* God.

Go for a jog you arrogant twatwaffle.

Nomad
10-14-2018, 12:00 PM
It was a good as advertised game. I tried to let our non-college football fans know about this game, and to watch Herbert. I see why MO likes Browning, too. A little underrated in Walter's.

Poet
10-14-2018, 12:02 PM
Is Herbert smart?

Nomad
10-14-2018, 12:03 PM
Is Herbert smart?

He doesn't go on social media.

Dapper Dan
10-14-2018, 05:12 PM
Tall QB Brock Osweiler beat the Bears today.

Simple Jaded
10-15-2018, 04:20 AM
Browning? Why would you personally scout a 4th-5th round prospect?

Dapper Dan
10-15-2018, 07:57 AM
Browning? Why would you personally scout a 4th-5th round prospect?

So we can reach for him in the 2nd. Duh.

Canmore
10-15-2018, 09:07 AM
Is Herbert smart?

IIRC there was a graphic that showed Herbert with a 4.06 GPA in Biology.

Nomad
10-15-2018, 09:08 AM
IIRC there was a graphic that showed Herbert with a 4.06 GPA in Biology.

He’s the All-American kid.

CoachChaz
10-15-2018, 11:02 AM
Herbert is a stud. My biggest fear is that he should probably stay another year, but won't. Which means he'll need a little seasoning in the NFL...and I just don't see him getting it in Denver. At least not properly.

ShaneFalco
10-15-2018, 11:11 AM
dude hasnt even thrown over 2,000 yards or 20 tds in a season.

is this shit for real?

BroncoWave
10-15-2018, 11:25 AM

is this shit for real?

That's almost as bad as a Tim Tebow NFL season!

MOtorboat
10-15-2018, 11:38 AM

is this shit for real?

Yes. Very much so.

CoachChaz
10-15-2018, 12:07 PM

is this shit for real?

He also only played 7 full games in each of his 2016 and 2017 seasons.

underrated29
10-15-2018, 12:13 PM
He also only played 7 full games in each of his 2016 and 2017 seasons.

Injury?

CoachChaz
10-15-2018, 12:16 PM
Injury?

Last year he was out with a broken collarbone and in 2016 he was a freshman and didn't get his first start until week 6.

MOtorboat
10-15-2018, 12:18 PM
Injury?

2016, he was a freshman and Helfrich went with Dakota Prukop, a senior grad transfer from Montana (Montana State? I can’t remember which one). Herbert was starting by mid October as a true frosh. He broke his collarbone as a sophomore.

underrated29
10-15-2018, 12:20 PM
Last year he was out with a broken collarbone and in 2016 he was a freshman and didn't get his first start until week 6.

I have not looked at the guy yet, but assuming he does get some seasoning, where would you kinda rank his likeyhood at? Is he a chad kelly, maybe more like a Josh Allen, A wentz (ive heard this comparison) a derek carr?

MOtorboat
10-15-2018, 12:22 PM
I have not looked at the guy yet, but assuming he does get some seasoning, where would you kinda rank his likeyhood at? Is he a chad kelly, maybe more like a Josh Allen, A wentz (ive heard this comparison) a derek carr?

I’d say his skill set is similar to Allen or Wentz.

ShaneFalco
10-15-2018, 01:02 PM
ah if injury that isnt too bad.

Simple Jaded
10-15-2018, 08:29 PM
So we can reach for him in the 2nd. Duh.

I like Browning, I just don’t see him getting into the first 3 rounds.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-16-2018, 09:47 PM
I like Browning, I just don’t see him getting into the first 3 rounds.

I love coach Pete and UW is probably my second favorite college team. I completely agree. I don’t see a guy who’s gonna push the ball down the field against NFL secondaries. I see a journeyman player (which is still a pretty nice paycheck).

Poet
10-16-2018, 09:50 PM
Journeyman QB...

Oh **** no!

atwater27
10-20-2018, 08:18 PM
Justin Herbert looking like a UDFA against Washington State right now

Cugel
10-20-2018, 09:43 PM

Of course he's looking at QBs. That's his job! :laugh:

He's President of Football Operations which means his job is to make all major personnel decisions. He has a scouting staff and boy has it changed over the last year!

Matt Russell Director of Player Personnel
Gary Kubiak Senior Personnel Advisor
A.J. Durso Director of Pro Personnel
Mike Sullivan Director of Football Administration

Until this year, Matt Russell made all the major draft recommendations to Elway and boy were they terrible! Just look at the last 4 years of the draft until THIS year when it suddenly turned amazing.

I mean Chubb is tearing it up, Courtland Sutton scored a first TD, Freeman and Lindsay have proven to have real starting ability, we'd be OK with either of them starting so they make a great duo.

Yiadom and DeShaun Hamilton have contributed and even their 7th round pick RB David Williams got picked up off the practice squad by some other team which means he's made the active roster somewhere at least temporarily.

What happened? Before this year they were drafting 1st and 2nd rounders like Paxton Lynch, Ty Sambrailo, Cody Latimer, Sylvester Williams, Montee Ball.

The rest of their drafts sucked just as bad.

They no longer let Matt Russell near an offensive draft selection. Kubiak does that. Russell presumably still makes defensive recommendations, but he basically got demoted. His role is less influential and Kubiak's role in personnel selection has grown enormously.

And it shows in this year's draft.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-20-2018, 09:59 PM
KUSA – Fresh off garnering his best rookie class in years, Broncos general manager John Elway is rolling up his sleeves and going to work on the 2019 draft.

Elway and director of player personnel Matt Russell will be attending the Oregon-Washington game today at Autzen Stadium in Eugene, Ore., in what is the first of several college trips the Broncos’ duo is scheduled to take in the coming weeks.

Elway and Russell won’t be alone in Oregon today as the game is a must-scout for all NFL teams. More than 15 scouts/personnel executives around the league are scheduled to attend the Oregon-Washington matchup. It features the Ducks’ Justin Herbert, the projected top quarterback in next year’s draft, as well as several other early round prospects.

In all, 13 to 16 players overall from the game figure to one day play on Sundays in the near future.

Before anyone tries to connect Elway’s visit to the team’s three-game losing streak, this trip was planned back in July along with several others throughout the college football season.

rest - https://www.9news.com/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/elway-russell-begin-scouting-for-2019-draft-with-oregon-washington-game/73-604048050

Simple Jaded
10-20-2018, 10:46 PM
Of course he's looking at QBs. That's his job! :laugh:

He's President of Football Operations which means his job is to make all major personnel decisions. He has a scouting staff and boy has it changed over the last year!

Matt Russell Director of Player Personnel
Gary Kubiak Senior Personnel Advisor
A.J. Durso Director of Pro Personnel
Mike Sullivan Director of Football Administration

Until this year, Matt Russell made all the major draft recommendations to Elway and boy were they terrible! Just look at the last 4 years of the draft until THIS year when it suddenly turned amazing.

I mean Chubb is tearing it up, Courtland Sutton scored a first TD, Freeman and Lindsay have proven to have real starting ability, we'd be OK with either of them starting so they make a great duo.

Yiadom and DeShaun Hamilton have contributed and even their 7th round pick RB David Williams got picked up off the practice squad by some other team which means he's made the active roster somewhere at least temporarily.

What happened? Before this year they were drafting 1st and 2nd rounders like Paxton Lynch, Ty Sambrailo, Cody Latimer, Sylvester Williams, Montee Ball.

The rest of their drafts sucked just as bad.

They no longer let Matt Russell near an offensive draft selection. Kubiak does that. Russell presumably still makes defensive recommendations, but he basically got demoted. His role is less influential and Kubiak's role in personnel selection has grown enormously.

And it shows in this year's draft.

God help us.

NightTerror218
10-20-2018, 10:58 PM
Elway needs to step back in the scouting community. He is not Jack Elway and needs to leave it to the scouts to do their jobs. Elway cannot scout QBs to save his life.

Simple Jaded
10-20-2018, 10:59 PM
Elway needs to step back in the scouting community. He is not Jack Elway and needs to leave it to the scouts to do their jobs. Elway cannot scout QBs to save his life.

I’d rather Elway scout QB’s than Kubiak.

ShaneFalco
10-21-2018, 04:07 AM

Case Keenum, Matt Schuab ftw

Shazam!
10-21-2018, 07:24 AM

Like Lynch?

Nomad
10-21-2018, 12:02 PM
Justin Herbert looking like a UDFA against Washington State right now

It was a great ass kickin by the Cougs.

BroncoJoe
10-22-2018, 07:38 AM
I read an article somewhere - don't remember where - saying that Herbert is fully planning on staying for his senior year, despite being a likely high (perhaps 1st overall) pick.

MOtorboat
10-22-2018, 12:55 PM
I read an article somewhere - don't remember where - saying that Herbert is fully planning on staying for his senior year, despite being a likely high (perhaps 1st overall) pick.

Saw that too. Not unprecedented, Leinart did it. Then again, Leinart wasn’t very good in the end.

Poet
10-22-2018, 12:56 PM
Saw that too. Not unprecedented, Leinart did it. Then again, Leinart wasn’t very good in the end.

Locker stayed another year, iirc.

Hawgdriver
10-22-2018, 01:11 PM
Manning?

NightTerror218
10-22-2018, 03:09 PM
Like Lynch?

And Oz